getting noticed

PDA

View Full Version : getting noticed

xtreme_ryguy
12-26-2002, 01:43 AM
hey guys, i was wondering if u guys new anything about getting signed and stuff. my band has been together since the end of september, we have 4 complete songs which isnt really much but i think they are great. i dont plan on this anytime soon but i was wondering what u have to do to get from playing in a garage with a few songs, to recording and selling cd's. u dont have to be really specific, i just want the main points. and say we had 12 or so songs right now, how long do u think it would take before you could get signed and record. any help is appreciated, i am totally new to the songwriting thing.

Rancidbass
12-26-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by xtreme_ryguy
hey guys, i was wondering if u guys new anything about getting signed and stuff. my band has been together since the end of september, we have 4 complete songs which isnt really much but i think they are great. i dont plan on this anytime soon but i was wondering what u have to do to get from playing in a garage with a few songs, to recording and selling cd's. u dont have to be really specific, i just want the main points. and say we had 12 or so songs right now, how long do u think it would take before you could get signed and record. any help is appreciated, i am totally new to the songwriting thing.

Do you have a website, so people can actual hear your songs? (MP3)

Matt:cheers:

MarkMac
12-26-2002, 02:04 AM
Traditional route:

Practice in your garage. Land a few gigs and build a bit of a fan base. Bug some recording company A&Rs (basically scouts) to check you out (or get fans to bug A&Rs). Get signed, record album, follow record company's instructions to market yourselves.

Boy band route:

Dress yourselves up as best you can. Come up with a "look". Get some really nice pictures and maybe a nice video of you guys and then pitch yourselves to a record company.

Technological route:

Record bunches of demos and build a website where people can download MP3s and see pictures. Hit the different forums like anything and get people to listen to you. Email an A&R and get him to visit your site.

Indie route:

Create, produce and promote an album yourself under your own independent label. If you create enough a stir, a record company might look to pick you up.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt though that your band is talented enough to make it. You don't even have to be talented right now, so long as the raw talent is present, you'll learn as you go along. But if you're not talented enough right now, don't present yourselves into the music scene as you'll end up building a reputation that you're not that good and that will be difficult to overturn in peoples' minds. Just keep practicing instead. Your best shot will come if you can "explode" on to the scene which you only have one chance at doing.

redwing_suck
12-26-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by MarkMac
Boy band route:

Dress yourselves up as best you can. Come up with a "look". Get some really nice pictures and maybe a nice video of you guys and then pitch yourselves to a record company.

add a gay voice recording and you got yourself a way into the world of pop music... sorry but i had to.

here's a tip:

<marquee>GET A FAN BASE!!</marquee>

it helps a bunch.

xtreme_ryguy
12-26-2002, 02:52 AM
right.....oh by the way, WHATS A FAN BASE??????

MarkMac
12-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by redwing_suck

add a gay voice recording and you got yourself a way into the world of pop music... sorry but i had to.

Dude, if you're even considering the boy band route, your comment is redundant since you'll certainly have a gay voice.

One note though, a fan base doesn't guarantee record contracts. In fact, it rarely has anything to do with them as many recent artists just went straight to record deals without local touring.

benjmc
12-26-2002, 07:14 PM
The obvious and most used way is to get a regular gig somewhere (be it weekly, biweekly, daily whatever) and then play all new material there...if you're good and you get enough fans then by word of mouth you shall be noticed.

dmal
12-27-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by xtreme_ryguy
right.....oh by the way, WHATS A FAN BASE??????

A group of regular followers that would kill to see one of your shows. They drag their friends and their friend's friends out to see you, until there are a thousand people and you know most of em.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: