want to change fretboard inlays

PDA

View Full Version : want to change fretboard inlays

Guitar_Wizard46
08-28-2005, 01:30 PM
How would i change the inlays on a fret board? Are they paint? If so where would I get it? ect.

EewokMan33
08-28-2005, 01:36 PM
uh... theyre called INLAYS for a reason. you cant really change easily at all.

guitar_4_life
08-28-2005, 01:38 PM
it would cost you less to buy a new guitar

wickidchyld
08-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by guitar_4_life
it would cost you less to buy a new guitar

not neccicarily

to threadstarter

1) what kind of guitar is it (more importantly what kind of neck set or bolt-on)
2) what kind of inlays does it have
3) what kind do you want

Guitar_Wizard46
08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok, if its gonna be a pain never mind just wandering if its possible.

seljer
08-28-2005, 01:57 PM
its a pain, and a custom job is usually something like $250+

copperhead
08-28-2005, 07:17 PM
this is a job for a builder .i guess you want to change from circles to something else there not paint! there pieces of shell or plastic dont try this your self if you dont know if they are painted or not

Guitar_Wizard46
09-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I know now that theyre shell and been doing research so I might buy a book off this guitar building site and the shell and do it myself. And yes I wanna change from circles to double parrellograms.

wickidchyld
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by wickidchyld
to threadstarter

1) what kind of guitar is it (more importantly what kind of neck set or bolt-on)
2) what kind of inlays does it have
3) what kind do you want

you answered 2 and 3 finnaly :p:

how bout # 1

chuck1523
06-24-2008, 12:43 AM
hey, I just did and search and found this page. I have the same question as the thread starter. I would like to change the fretboard inlays on my guitar and was wondering what you all thought would be the easiest way. I have an epiphone emperor regent. the inlays it comes with is the block design with an abalone type inlay and i would like to just change them to the standard all white block inlays that gibsons have.

_Tim_
06-24-2008, 12:48 AM
hmmm
If you could find a way to remove the current inlays, without hacking out chunks of fretboard,you should-in theory-be able to just drop some new inlays in.

uRizen
06-24-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't know about block inlays, but I've pulled plastic circle inlays out by drilling a tiny hole in the middle, then using a dental pick to pry the pieces out (they usually crack down the middle while drilling which makes it a bit easier.)

Once you pull the old inlays out you'll still have to create new ones that fit the old inlay pocket, then glue them in and sand them flush with the fretboard. It would be a huge pain with the frets still on and the opportunity to botch it up is high.

Dreamality
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
If its going to be detailed inlay work that you want and your guitar is of enough value, the best thing in my opinion is to replace the fingerboard with another one that has the inlay on it. This is not a job for a newbie, but a guitar luthier or technician can help you with that.

Tackleberry
06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Replacing dots with other dots isnt so big a deal. A forstner bit will get out the plastic ones pretty easy. And a dot of the same size could be glued back in. Not something easily done with a hand drill and regular drill bits tho. Going from dots to the blocks is alot more work. You gotta have the proper tools to route out the fret board for the blocks. Doesnt take much at this stage to screw up a fret board. If you wanted the double parallelograms be a problem as the hole where the dot was wouldnt be covered. Most are turned off of new inlays by the sizable cost to get it done.

CodeMonk
08-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this is something I am interested in.
I recently built a pickguard and TRC for my EPI LP : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/CodeMonk/Misc057_R.jpg

After one of my friends saw it, he suggested I replace the fretboard inlays with the same material as well (yeah, I think hes nuts too, but the idea intrigued me).

One of the reasons, besides the look, which so far everyone loves (well, some of the people on the Fender forum were a bit uhm...snotty). is the formica counter tops I got it from came from a hotel in Reno Nevada that was a historical landmark. It was demolished several years ago though.

I'm pretty much a DIY kind of guy and do almost all my own work myself (I'm very anal about how well I do my work, especially when it comes to my guitar and electronics work).

I realize this would not be a trival undertaking, but does anyone have any suggestions, "gotchas", or other thoughts or ideas (like what kinda of glue).
I'm picking up a microscope this weekend (for some other projects), which i'm sure would come in handy for this.
I would of course keep the same shape for the inlays.

Any thoughts, ideas etc (besides that I'm a moron for wanting to do this) ?

Thanks

pinback
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
i personally wouldnt mess with the fretboard but replacing plain white dots with abolone or MOP dots would be easier than changing the shape

if its a bolt on neck you could always buy a new neck

CLIFF_BURTON
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
My friend has a cheap, REALLY cheap strat copy, that had stickered dots as inlays. It doesn't have any dots on the side of the neck...

thegrungyhippie
08-07-2008, 01:24 AM
so many thread hijackers!
Anyways, if you really want to change the markers, you should start with a fresh fretboard. (Not fretted yet).

PitViper
12-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this is something I am interested in.
I recently built a pickguard and TRC for my EPI LP : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/CodeMonk/Misc057_R.jpg

After one of my friends saw it, he suggested I replace the fretboard inlays with the same material as well (yeah, I think hes nuts too, but the idea intrigued me).

One of the reasons, besides the look, which so far everyone loves (well, some of the people on the Fender forum were a bit uhm...snotty). is the formica counter tops I got it from came from a hotel in Reno Nevada that was a historical landmark. It was demolished several years ago though.

I'm pretty much a DIY kind of guy and do almost all my own work myself (I'm very anal about how well I do my work, especially when it comes to my guitar and electronics work).

I realize this would not be a trival undertaking, but does anyone have any suggestions, "gotchas", or other thoughts or ideas (like what kinda of glue).
I'm picking up a microscope this weekend (for some other projects), which i'm sure would come in handy for this.
I would of course keep the same shape for the inlays.

Any thoughts, ideas etc (besides that I'm a moron for wanting to do this) ?

Thanks

I've done this type of work quite a few times....if anyone is interested in still doing any of this work...respond in this thread and I can offer some sound advice. I've inlayed vintage guitars for quite some time and while it's very possible to pull it off...you better have the tools, patience and knowledge before attempting any type of inlay replacement.

PainIsPower
12-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Did any one else this thread was three years old? Necro much...

guitarmaniac88
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
This ought to be the official inlay thread.

I do have a question, though. There's a long story about why I can't get a Dimebag Razorback DB. I am going to try it in a guitar center or something first before I do this. Most of the reason is because the 12th fret is a razor, drug crap. So she might let me get it if I can remove the inlay there and change it to something else. I heard about getting a soldering iron and pressing it on until glues comes out, but it seems risky to the rest of the neck. I also heard the one about drilling a hole in. I would most likely do this, but have two questions on that: 1. What kind of drill do I use? 2. How deep should I drill the hole?

My other main question was: What kind of inlay could I replace it with? Any help is appreciated, and if there are no new posts, I'll search more or make another thread.