Sweep Picking - The Basics

PDA

View Full Version : Sweep Picking - The Basics

Master Of Shred
09-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Sweep Picking ? The Basics

Introduction:

Hi there. This is my lesson about the technique ?sweep picking?. Sweep picking is considered as the hardest technique to play on guitar. It might be. But it?s seriously overrated in difficulty as well. I?ll give you my tips on sweep picking and explain the technique as best as I can. I hope that I will make someone happy with this lesson.

What is sweep picking?

Sweep picking. Is basically playing chords. Only fast. You play exactly the same notes that are in the chord you sweep. So that?s why sweep picking sounds like a chord progression. You lift every finger up from your fretting hand after you?ve play the note: Don?t play it staccato (mute every note right after you?ve played it) but let it flow into the next note. Then mute it. I mute when I play upstrokes with my pinkie of my picking hand. And with down strokes I mute with my palm of my picking hand.

The picking hand:

You make one motion. So you don?t pick every note. It?s like, playing rhythm guitar strumming. Only slower (most of the time) so even if you start to practise it with quarter notes at 40 bpm: Try to make the same motion as with your rhythm guitar strumming. I don?t think that it really matters if you sweep pick from your elbow or wrist. Like Vinnie Moore said: ?I sweep pick from my elbow. Because it feels more natural to me.? It just preference.

The fretting hand:

Like I said it before. You lift every finger up when you?ve played it. (Don?t grab chords of course) And don?t play staccato. Nothing special here. Just practise.

The ?cage? system:

This can be used with many things. But I use it a lot with sweep picking / sweep picking exercises. What is the cage system? The cage system is that you can grab most of the chords in the shape of the C major chord, a major chord, G major chord and the E major chord. All in the first root. Where the **** is he talking about? :

A major played in the shape of E major:

Play this 5 frets back. And what do we have then? Yes it?s an E major. You understand this now? I?ll give you some more examples:

D major in the shape of C major:

More 2 frets back. It?s the C major shape =)

so just sweep pick this. And try to come up with your own chord progressions and try to play the chords in different shapes. Very good example to look into this : The famous Serrana arpeggios by Jason Becker.

Some sweep songs :

Some good sweep pick songs to look into ( Or parts of it ) :

Cacophony ? Go Off
Cacophony ? Speed Metal Symphony
Jason Becker - Altitudes
Jason Becker ? End Of The Beginning
Jason Becker ? Perpetual Burn
Jason Becker ? Serrana
Joe Stump ? Demons Eye
Michael Angelo ? No Boundaries

Just a few. And basically any Becker song. He always throws some cool sweeps his songs.

Hope you liked this lesson. I?ll post a lesson later for the more advanced sweep pickers under us. And some other lessons as well.

Cheers. Mos

marijnnijs
09-01-2005, 05:19 AM
this aint basic sweep picking

a beginner cant handle beckers sweep and tap licks

this aint basic
good list though

Rankles
09-01-2005, 05:20 AM
^ He didn't say it was basic, he said these are the basics of it. Get a dictionary.

sillybuuger12
09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
fukin PAWND buddy!

sillybuuger12
09-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Spelling corrected (wan't much wrong)
Sweep Picking ? The Basics

Introduction:

Hi there. This is my lesson about the technique ?sweep picking?. Sweep picking is considered as the hardest technique to play on guitar. It might be. But it?s seriously overrated in difficulty as well. I?ll give you my tips on sweep picking and explain the technique as best as I can. I hope that I will make someone happy with this lesson.

What is sweep picking?

Sweep picking. Is basically playing chords. Only fast. You play exactly the same notes that are in the chord you sweep. So that?s why sweep picking sounds like a chord progression. You lift every finger up from your fretting hand after you?ve play the note: Don?t play it staccato (mute every note right after you?ve played it) but let it flow into the next note. Then mute it. I mute when I play upstrokes with my pinkie of my picking hand. And with down strokes I mute with my palm of my picking hand.

The picking hand:

You make one motion. So you don?t pick every note. It?s like, playing rhythm guitar strumming. Only slower (most of the time) so even if you start to practise it with quarter notes at 40 bpm: Try to make the same motion as with your rhythm guitar strumming. I don?t think that it really matters if you sweep pick from your elbow or wrist. Like Vinnie Moore said: ?I sweep pick from my elbow. Because it feels more natural to me.? It just preference.

The fretting hand:

Like I said it before. You lift every finger up when you?ve played it. (Don?t grab chords of course) And don?t play staccato. Nothing special here. Just practise.

The ?cage? system:

This can be used with many things. But I use it a lot with sweep picking / sweep picking exercises. What is the cage system? The cage system is that you can grab most of the chords in the shape of the C major chord, a major chord, G major chord and the E major chord. All in the first root. Where the **** is he talking about? :

A major played in the shape of E major:

Play this 5 frets back. And what do we have then? Yes it?s an E major. You understand this now? I?ll give you some more examples:

D major in the shape of C major:

More 2 frets back. It?s the C major shape =)

so just sweep pick this. And try to come up with your own chord progressions and try to play the chords in different shapes. Very good example to look into this : The famous Serrana arpeggios by Jason Becker.

Some sweep songs :

Some good sweep pick songs to look into ( Or parts of it ) :

Cacophony ? Go Off
Cacophony ? Speed Metal Symphony
Jason Becker - Altitudes
Jason Becker ? End Of The Beginning
Jason Becker ? Perpetual Burn
Jason Becker ? Serrana
Joe Stump ? Demons Eye
Michael Angelo ? No Boundaries

Just a few. And basically any Becker song. He always throws some cool sweeps his songs.

Hope you liked this lesson. I?ll post a lesson later for the more advanced sweep pickers under us. And some other lessons as well.

Cheers. Mos

Master Of Shred
09-01-2005, 08:29 AM
thanks dude. **gonna edit his post**

slash_pwns
09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
You need to expand the fret hand section like ass. Seriously... I have a hard timne with sweep picking and wanted to learn something... But didn't.

Master Of Shred
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
:sad: Um. You don't get me or you just don't get the right sound ?

slash_pwns
09-01-2005, 05:07 PM
I can sweep pick lol. I'm not saying I've never done it before, but I have trouble doing 5-7 string sweeps and wanted to learn something here...

You need to explain rolling, position shifting, and both directions.

Righteous
09-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Maybe you could put up some more examples of shapes, not just the average major and minor, but something fairly easy to start off with.

Mascot
09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Seriously, reading this article was painful, mainly due to the fact that everything was so choppy in terms of writing. You have like, 5 words per sentence.

As for content, this was more of a statement than a lesson. There was nothing here that helped at all, not to mention your 'examples' were few and far between ( you expect someone to pick up sweep picking from two examples? I realize this is supposedly the 'basics' of sweeping and is only the first installment, but you really need more depth. There is nothing to go on, nothing to practice, nothing there.

You don't post a few numbers under each other and say "just sweep pick this". You need to explain how to sweep pick it with instructions.

And your last comment. . . if you're recommending Serrana to beginners, what are you going to recommend to the more advanced players?

Master Of Shred
09-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Gambale sweeping :)

Yes I forgot some things. I'll maybe change it someday. Thanks

Freepower
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by slash_pwns

You need to explain rolling, position shifting, and both directions.

Exactly.

More detail, its almost as bad as the majority of sweeping lessons.

Advilmonkeyman
10-01-2005, 09:06 PM
add Dirty Pool by SRV. Thats the song that i First learned to sweep pick from.

PickNGrin
10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
..worked for me -I understood it all perfectly. :cool:

TheAbacus
10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Good stuff. At least now I know what those guitarists are doing when they rip the guitar. All I noticed earlier is the constant motion of the picking hand. Now maybe I'll try this on a single chord for practice.

What the hell is shredding? Is there some theoretical aspect behind it too?

^^^^ This dude, PicknGrin, is supposed to be putting up a sweep picking video in a few hours from now!! Pretty excited to see it! Thanks for your efforts, PicknGrin and Master of Shred.... it is because of people like you that more people take up learning guitar with more interest. Let's keep rock alive!! For the next hundred million years!!

Freepower
10-29-2005, 06:02 AM
There is a theoretical basis behind shred, unless of course you want to be able to play one arpeggio in every key and your idea of a run is only chromatics, all the time.

TheAbacus
10-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Would somebody be kind enough to explain what the hell that meant? What are chromatics? Theoretical basis of shredding? Many of us would love to know...

loonyguitarist
10-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Shredding basically means playing really fast. Chromatics is using every note, as opposed to using notes of a scale.

RoughDraft
11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Add more practice tabs..that's all I really need in a lesson other that a absic definition of the technique
And not to diss you man, but if anybody here really want to get sweep picking check out this weeks Steal THat Vid..the visual may make things easier to understand