i need help with a style...


PDA

View Full Version : i need help with a style...


Dookie231
09-04-2005, 09:03 PM
alright me and my band are having a bit of trouble...were aiming for being a modern rock or just genrel rock band we all hate this emo crap and pop-punk on the radio now adays and here's the problem well not really a problem...its hard to explain anyway well were having trouble and finding out what mordern rock is made up of like open chords barre chords or just all powerchords we have written stuff and it useally turns out to sound like Dave Matthews band and im trying to make a fast up beat Audioslave Foo fighters Incubus type distorted song but i just don't want it to be all powerchords and stuff...well some here and there but not the whole song so can someone recomend me like some good ways to get this modern rock style

thanks

Mr. Sean Price

:cheers:

oblique
09-04-2005, 09:06 PM
If you want to sound more like Audioslave try writing real single note riffs instead of chord progressions. A lot of riffs are based off the pentatonic or blues scales, or just experiment and see what sounds good. Apreggios of open and barre chords can also help make riffs.

rblotnicky
09-04-2005, 09:15 PM
don't shy away form powerchords my friend. they are a staple in most kinds of music. I would recommend a healthy blend of single note riffs, like different combinations of scales, arpeggios, and such, also with a few quick bites from those power chords. Just experiment with everything. Cause in the end, your music is what you make it. Don't be afriad to play around and be unique. Good bands rarely stick to one genre. Great bands become their own genre.

^_^
-rob

mnbaseball91
09-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Integrate parts of full chords along with your powerchords. For example, rather than playing an open G, play:

-3-
-3-
-0-
-0-
---
---

or

-2-
-3-
-2-
---
---
---


Move shapes like that up and down the neck.

kingal
09-04-2005, 10:32 PM
powerchords don't just have to be 5ths. when using distortion you can only use a limited number of strings so you have to make them count, use the bass and other guitarist to add depth to the sound with extensions to the chords. it's very late but that makes sense to me.

negrotaurist
09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I think its funny how u hate emo and all the pop crap, but your sn is a green day refference. Good job being on the good side of music tho. Drop a line wen ur band gits some stuff. I would like to have a listen

That may have sounded sarcastic but it truely wasnt

bettyswollox
09-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Use single note riffs and octaves, foos use them a lot.

jamstation
09-05-2005, 09:41 AM
i would go with kingal.. try out 2-3 note chords that are intervals other than fifths..

like say major/minor thirds, perfect fourths, or diminished 5ths etc..

use open strings, diff tunings, weird effects.. you'll get the variety you want

Caressing Death
09-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Guitar Techniques magazine done a rhythm section on Foo Fighters a few months ago! Try get a back issue and if you cant I'll tab it out for you!

Dookie231
09-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by negrotaurist
I think its funny how u hate emo and all the pop crap, but your sn is a green day refference. Good job being on the good side of music tho. Drop a line wen ur band gits some stuff. I would like to have a listen

That may have sounded sarcastic but it truely wasnt

well see when i first started on ug i was like GREEN DAY ROCKS and yes i still like greenday but i have grown out of them but unfortantly my username has not

renato
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by kingal
it's very late but that makes sense to me.

There, i's a bit more structured...

a) powerchords don't just have to be 5ths.
b) when using distortion you can only use a limited number of¨[notes, intervals really] so you have to make them count,
C) use the bass and other guitarist to add depth to the sound with extensions to the chords.

renato
09-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Dookie231
alright me and my band are having a bit of trouble...were aiming for being a modern rock or just genrel rock band we all hate this emo crap and pop-punk on the radio now adays and here's the problem well not really a problem...its hard to explain anyway well were having trouble and finding out what mordern rock is made up of like open chords barre chords or just all powerchords we have written stuff and it useally turns out to sound like Dave Matthews band and im trying to make a fast up beat Audioslave Foo fighters Incubus type distorted song but i just don't want it to be all powerchords and stuff...well some here and there but not the whole song so can someone recomend me like some good ways to get this modern rock style


first of all you got to think about what you mean by modern rock bands. if you want to understand how to write songs in the style of contemporary artists. sit down in front of the radio and play along to whatever comes out. (which is incidenlty, how J.P.Jones taught himself.)

If you want to understand the modern rock feel, you listen to the contemporary bands, and then the bands that influenced them, and then the bands that infuenced them. most bands grew up with early 90s rock, which in turn was influenced from the sounds of the 80s underground.. learn your music history, learn who begat what, and steer clear of false profets.

These responses about techniques are pointless, unless your thinking in terms of moden guitar techniques, but incorporating this into music will inevitably lead to progressive, as in progressive in mindset. Be warned, however, that no musical gendre has more pitfalls than progressive rock...

renato
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Well now that i'm trippleposting i'll throw in some recomendations;

radiohead and foo fighters are very good, radiohead is a jem but you can't really go farther than that.. oh, yes you can go really soft and tedious coldplay style. Green day is a stagnant influence, (go ask corwinoid about more than that.) early 90s rock has two influences, u.s. 80s underground rock and classic rock. don't bother studying early 90s band, go to the source. (say nirvana i say the Pixies. What do you mean you never heard television's marquee moon? Red hot chilli peppers has been for years the best band in the world, and i prefer tom morello's work in RATM.

Otherwise i recommend checking out Placebo (i really like where they're going) and absorbing some trip hop influences, especially portishead and massive attack.

¿you know whats the most important modern rock album? Jeff Buckley's "Grace." I did not like it at first listening but forced myself to absorb it. Its importance to modern music has yet to be truly felt...

(no cabe duda, i'm not good. i'm amazing.)

renato
09-06-2005, 06:54 PM
(how come each time i post the thread dies? i think i'm hurt.)

Neon Knight
09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by rblotnicky
don't shy away form powerchords my friend. they are a staple in most kinds of music. I would recommend a healthy blend of single note riffs, like different combinations of scales, arpeggios, and such, also with a few quick bites from those power chords. Just experiment with everything. Cause in the end, your music is what you make it. Don't be afriad to play around and be unique. Good bands rarely stick to one genre. Great bands become their own genre.

^_^
-rob

wow, good call

33% God
09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
make sure you dont limit yourself to just one type of chord, and create a different lead line to go over the top of them.

rblotnicky
12-11-2005, 12:38 AM
wow, good call


^_^ :cheers: thx

OriontheHunter
12-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Use harping on different parts of the chords (with distortion), very hard rock style *think 'dont fear the reaper'*!