the ONLY Vocal/Singing tips thread V2.0. Emphasis on ONLY

PDA

View Full Version : the ONLY Vocal/Singing tips thread V2.0. Emphasis on ONLY

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

casualty01
09-09-2005, 11:17 PM
ok... the last one was rather old and stagnant, and people are starting to ignore it. most likely cause the last one was so big, they don't feel like sifting through it all, or basically out of selfish arrogance that the rules don't apply to them.

anywho. here's a new one. (the old one has been moved to the archives. if you had an open question going in the old one, please feel free to repost it in here. I apologize for the inconvenience.)

please use this thread and only this thread to post your vocal related questions &advice.

Rules Of The Thread

only 2 rules. failure to heed these rules will result in warnings. no exceptions. so please read them to avoid any confusion.

no spam - pretty self explanitory. either post a question an answer or an update (i.e. a thank you if the answer helped, or an update on how everything worked out). that's it.

no flaming - people are here to learn and or help others... there is no reason for any nasty comments or hateful posts. if you need further elaboration... read on.

- no flipping on out some member that tried to help but didn't answer the way you liked. perhaps they didn't understand the question as you intended. if you don't like an answer or think it wasn't very helpful say so but be respectful and perhaps try to re-word or re-explain what you meant.

- no random insults about someones vocal question or talents, the style of music they're asking about or if you think their question is silly. everyone has their own style pusuits and level of knowledge... so while a question might seem "silly" or "pointless" to you, to them it might be a serious problem they're having. be respectful.

Some Tips For A More Detailed And Helpful Response

Explain your question as clearly and as detailed as possible.

below are some of the more common questions... not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but the more frequent ones have been covered and examples given to help give you an idea of what kind of things need to be related to the users in order to get a much better response to your situation.

remember, this is NOT a FAQ. it is merely a guide to help you ask better questions and therefore, recieve better answers/tips.

a general FAQ regarding vocal tips has been provided below by SingingSabre. .Go To FAQ (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=4036757#post4036757)

How can I sound like *insert singer here* - if you want help with sounding specifically like someone don't just say "yeah, how do I sound like axl rose?!?"

try being more specific.

what about his vocals do you want to imitate? - if you really want to achieve his falsetto approach, say that. if you love his vibrato, say that as well. include as much about the stylings of said artist and the sound you're trying to achieve as possible.

an example of said artist - while some singers are very well known, plenty aren't. present some examples of the artists work (just provide the name of a song people can listen to in order to give a listen and help you out.) again this will help people get a feel for what exactly you're trying to achieve. and hell, even if it is a well known singer, provide what you think is the prime example of what you're looking for. many vocalists do have a range of different approaches and sound that you could be talking about.

how do you sound right now? - wouldn't hurt to give an example, or better yet, post a recording of you singing. this'll give everyone a much better ideaof what you have to work with or what you need to improve on.

don't get pissy - the fact of the matter is, it's a rare breed that can imitate someone perfectly. after all is said and done, you might never be able to achieve anything remotely close to who you want to sound like. accept that and don't get all ticked off if someone tells you that or their advice doesn't miraculously change your voice.

how do I improve my singing? - ok, first off... could you GET anymore broad?? if you're wondering how to go about "improving" don't just ask "how do I improve my singing?" lol... there's a whole host of specific areas you could tackle. when asking such a broad question, try and narrow it down a bit and include things like

what specifically you'd like to improve - some things to consider are

- Range
- Tone/Timbre
- vibrato
- falsetto
- intervallic jumps
- hearing the key
- power/volume
- breathing
- etc..

and try and include some details ABOUT the area you think you need work on, or would like to improve.

wanna improve your range? ok, what is your current range? want to improve vibrato? what is it like now? ... you get the idea.

again. a recording would help a great deal.

how long you've been singing and or studying vocals - it'd be nice to know your experience level and how long you've been singing. wouldn't do you any good to get advice that is basically beginner exercises if you've been taking vocal lessons for 5 years. and it certainly won't help the old self image to be given an extremely advanced vocal exercise technique and then fall flat on your face because you're only a beginner.

what have you tried so far - have you tried anything yet? or is this your first foray into techniques to improve your vocals? if you have... what did you try and how has it helped/not helped?

all these things will really help any answers you may get.

How do I scream better? - ok.. lol. well, suffice it to say "screaming" isn't just "screaming". like anything, there's different styles, approaches and techniques. so it'd help to know what kind of style you're looking for.

things we need to know to help you better...

gutteral growls on occasion?

full out screaming like a little girl, ala. emo/screamo?

hardcore? death metal? grind core? etc..

suffice it to say, and a surprise to many, there are diffent styles/levels/types of "screaming" give as much detail as possible about what kind you're looking to achieve.

editing your own vocal tracks. - "how do I edit my vocal tracks??".... while they may seem like a simple question.... um, no. hell, if it were, the simple answer would be "just edit them"

some things to include

what are you using for your editing software? - it'd help a great deal to let everyone know whatyou're using. someone's bound to know the interface (and the limitations/advantages of said program) and can possibly direct you alot more specifically if they know what you're working with.

experience with the software you a newb when it comes to the software or not? how about editing in general? let us know.

specifics regarding your vocals - oook... now that we know you want to edit your vocals and what program you're using, now how about telling everyone what you want to do? do you think you're too nasally? the P's and S's sounding too percussive and hissy? do you want to double it? tweak it a specific way? etc..etc..
whatever it is you want, let us know, and be as specific as possible.

provide a recording if possible - like every other question regarding the status of your vocals, try and provide with the genuine article if possible (which it should be, as you obviously have a recording of yourself if you want to edit.)

Finally.. One simple FAQ

what are some good things to do for my voice? before a performance? after a performance?

I have no idea, but I know this question gets asked alot.

will one of you (or several) of you Vocal thread regulars (singing sabre, phi, cor, whoever else is in here all the time and knows their shit) please write out a thorough list of things and items that singers can use to prepare/mend/upkeep their vocal chords/throat/etc.. also the methods if it involves taking something, gargling, exercising the muscles, deepthroating the drummer, whatever. please provide the instructions of said methods when you post them.

you can PM them or post them here. once those are in, I'll post them in this post.

this obviously isn't all the bases, but it should give you plenty of ideas on how to write out a well thought out clear and concise question in order to help us help you better.

also, again, for you regulars, if you see anything I missed in what I wrote that you think should be expanded upon or have something else you think I should add, please feel free to say so. but remember, this isn't a FAQ by any means. just a tutorial on how to use the thread for the best results.

thank you and enjoy :cheers:

Cas-:peace:

thanks to Corwinoid for providing some of the more commonly asked questions for me to address.

SingingSabre
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I?ve compiled a general FAQ for the Vocal/Singing Tips thread. Please read it before posting questions.

Please remember, this isn?t meant to take the place of a vocal coach or teacher, but to give answers to common questions and help out beginners.

How do I sing?
Well, that?s easy. You expel air through your mouth while making a noise pleasant to behold. It?s the specifics that?ll catch up on you!

I have written these articles as a beginner?s guide on how to sing. Read them from the beginning and don?t underestimate the importance of breathing.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_1.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/singing_part_2.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_3.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_4.html

Fi (Fuzzybunny) also wrote some very wise and brief words which can help you learn to sing:

"Right, I just had to explain this to someone AGAIN, so I thought I'd paste it in here. Before you go playing with your soft palette/attempting that E above the stave/trying a Pavarotti-like vibrato - try this. :p

1. Sing from your diaphragm. Take a deep breath in and feel where it is just under your ribs - sing from there. Don't let yourself start forcing sound from your throat. Listen to 'Sarcophagus Saura' at http://fi.dmusic.com for a decent example... A very diaphragm heavy voice at about 1:20 (hey, I may as well get a bit of advertising in while I'm at it ;))

2. Anchor the sound. Imagine it going down and back, not up and out. Totally psychological, but works a charm.

3. Yawn. Feel how everything opens up in your throat? You've just opened your nasal cavity - well done you. It's a good thing - close your mouth and keep the back bit that you've just opened open. When you sing, let the sound pass through there.

4. Your nose is for breathing, smelling, humming and dribbling. Not singing. Don't let the sound come out of there! Sure, Ns and Ms have to, but otherwise keep the sound in the nasal cavity and coming out of your gob."

So what about breathe?
First off, it?s ?breath.? ?Breathe? is a verb, ?breath? is what you take when you breathe.

You need to learn how to take a proper breath using your diaphragm. If you don?t breathe properly, you won?t resonate properly. Read what Fuzzybunny and I wrote.

So what about resonating?
Resonating is using the bones of your head in conjunction with your voice to deepen the sound. I like to think of my head like an acoustic guitar and my voice as a guitar string. You can make the string vibrate, but without the body of the guitar to resonate the sound and push it out the sound hole, you can?t get noise.

Do this to learn what resonance feels like:
Loosely close your lips.
Let your teeth part slightly.
Place the tip of your tongue right behind your two front lower teeth.
Open your soft palate to a relaxed, comfortable position.
Hum.

Now hold that hum and focus in through your nose, it'll start to tickle your nose and lips.
That?ll produce a very nasal resonance. Now focus it through your forehead. A lot of it comes through your soft palate.

What about the soft palate?
You want to learn how to raise it. You don?t always need it to be fully raised, or open, but you?re going to want to know how to get it there. A partial opening of the soft palate will make your voice sound fuller and less whiny.

Snort. That vibration is your soft palate. Read the aforementioned articles and what Fuzzybunny wrote to learn how to use it.

How can I sound like this guy/girl?
You can get close, but unless you?re an impressionist, you cannot sound exactly like them. Everyone?s voice has traits and characteristics, some in common with others? voices, but in the end everyone has a different voice.

The best thing to do is to practice altering your tonal capabilities via your soft palate, breathing, resonance, etc. until you learn what it all sounds like. Then you can answer your own question and other similar ones to this in the future.

How can I scream or growl?
Don?t attempt to do this until you have well learned how to control your voice in a melodic manner. It can be dangerous to your voice.

If you need to ask this, you haven?t trained enough to know how to do it safely.

Screaming/growling is good for your voice!
No, it?s not. If done ?correctly? it won?t hurt you, but it is not good for your voice.

How can I improve my vocals so I can hit 4 octaves above middle C? or I want to hit higher notes in my chest voice. How?
There are basic exercises you can do, however to extremely improve your range that far (in regards to the first one) is practically impossible.

Vocal expansion exercises are usually a simple octave or half-octave scale sung up and down and increased a half-step each time done. The articles I linked in the beginning have some of these exercises listed and explained.

Another way to increase your vocal ability is to train and sing. The more you sing properly, the better you become! A vocal coach will be able to help you leaps and bounds over what I can do via the internet.

So should I sing in my falsetto? How? What is it?
Your falsetto is your ?false voice.? It?s that voice men use when they imitate girlie voices. You can utilize your falsetto to sing higher notes than you would normally be able to hit.

Men and women both have falsettos. Women just don?t need theirs as much.

How do I take care of my voice?
Don?t consume dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, chocolate, etc.) the day you sing. Drink warm water, perhaps some green or white tea. Avoid black tea, coffee, soda, and alcohol as those will actually take water out of your body. Avoid cold water, sugary drinks, and alcohol as they will hinder your vocal cords.

Also, don?t smoke. It?s bad for you, kids.

Proper warm ups and exercises will keep your voice spry and limber (yes, limber) so you can be adaptable to whatever you need it for.

What about my vocal chords?
A ?chord? is three or more notes played at the same time.

You have vocal cords

How can I stay in tune?
Practice with other instruments, preferably live, so you learn what in tune actually feels like. This comes best with sheer practice.

That?s what I have so far. Am I missing anything?

casualty01
09-09-2005, 11:48 PM
ah cool. good job :cheers:

was that in the other thread? (never really read it)

fuzzybunny
09-10-2005, 05:39 AM
^On the infamous and overmentioned page 44... Not that anyone ever bothered to go looking :p: Thanks Cas, the old thread was getting obese and needed dealing with. SingingSabre was freaking out cos he thought you wouldn't bring it back :p:

RobbieMac2002
09-10-2005, 08:18 AM
ok... ill throw my hat into the ring here... and see what i can get out of it... but im currently on holiday, so i apologise if i dont reply straight away with follow up questions or results...

ive read through this thread's FAQ and thought long and hard (well, it wasnt that long, but *really hard ;)) about what is the one thing i wish i could realistically improve about my singing...

i have never had any lessons, but i do self designed (following advice of others) training exercises, and have regular band practices for three years which have allowed my voice to develop to the point where i have a lot of confidence in it as long as i stick to what i know i can comfortably acheive... i sometimes take a few risks and go for higher notes/different types of vocal styles... but rarely do these on proper songs or recordings with my band until im fully confident in doing them live every time...

Ive been told by my bass player (who sings back up but was lead in his previous band and is very accomplished as singing, especially in a higher range than me which is a great compliment to my lead vox) that i have a very strong singing voice, and a low range...

this is good, except sometimes, due to singing in this low range, i might need to sing a verse near the bottom of the range i can comfortably acheive due to the nature/key of the song...

my problem isnt so much with hitting the low notes... its just that when i do hit them, i lose a lot of power... they come out quieter then if i was singing for example an octave higher...

sometimes this doesnt matter... but it becomes more apprant if im doing this in the middle of a band's song... and suddenly my vocals become very low down in the mix...

due to the way i sing, i sing quite close to the mic anyway, moving closer simply makes the sound more muffled/distorted and not to my liking... also, simply trying to force the notes out and sing them louder affects my ability to hit the notes which i dont like...

what exercises or vocal tecniques (mouth shapes etc) should i use to make the notes ar the lower part of my range just as powerful (or close) as the rest of my range...

if you need an example ill find one and let you know... but any advice would be most helpful :)

fuzzybunny
09-10-2005, 08:58 AM
^It sounds like the notes are only just in your range and they don't really want to come out... Hence why they're so quiet. The only thing you can do for the moment is sing them with gusto and hope you stay in tune ;)

Otherwise...

Aunty Fuzzybunny's tips for going low...
(and it's not half as kinky as it sounds)

1. Practice humming downward scales, starting at a lower but comfortable part of your range. Once you think you can hum them, sing them (and not through your nose, damnit! See the FAQ if you think you could be nosing it!!) and gradually, you'll find that it becomes easier to go deeper.

2. Yawn and make a silly downward "yaaaah" sound as you do. Keep that passage open and keep on "yaaah"ing downwards, getting lower each time. You're not singing, but you're seeing how low you can go. If you can 'yaaah' it, you can sing it with just as much confidence.

3. Once you have scales and yawns down, try arpeggios. They sort of force you to make the intervals bigger and keep the same volume and force (hopefully... If not, keep trying) so again, you should notice your range gradually growing.

It won't happen at once... It could take months - but don't force anything and keep practicing!!

slash_pwns
09-10-2005, 09:54 AM
How do you get background vocals like "Home" by Dream Theater?

Do you set the mics lower and just sing normally? This is killing me because I'm trying to get this song for a school preformance thing and can't get the bg vocals :\

casualty01
09-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
Thanks Cas, the old thread was getting obese and needed dealing with.

yw darlin ;)

yeah, that's right steve, I said it!! .. what?! what!?

*excessive posturing*

Originally posted by fuzzybunny
SingingSabre was freaking out cos he thought you wouldn't bring it back :p:

jesus, it was down for like an hour lol ... do you guys like sit here waiting for a vocal question? :p:

makes me think of the lonely girl sitting by the edge of the bed staring at the phone... just hoping a boy calls lol..

fuzzybunny
09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by casualty01
jesus, it was down for like an hour lol ... do you guys like sit here waiting for a vocal question? :p:

makes me think of the lonely girl sitting by the edge of the bed staring at the phone... just hoping a boy calls lol..
I was greeted with an irate PM from him saying "THEY CLOSED OUR THREAD!!!"... Hard to believe he has a life outside the vox thread :p:

Originally posted by slash_pwns

Do you set the mics lower and just sing normally? This is killing me because I'm trying to get this song for a school preformance thing and can't get the bg vocals :\
Try turning it down and adding more reverb... I think. I'm not a technical expert :p:

Corwinoid
09-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by slash_pwns

Do you set the mics lower and just sing normally? This is killing me because I'm trying to get this song for a school preformance thing and can't get the bg vocals :\ You're talking about the booming background behind the lead vocals?

Up until 4:something It's a wide seperated stereo reverb 4 or 5 echoes deep, maybe a touch over a third stereo seperation, and rapid decay...

You'll need a good reverb unit for that :/

LazyGuitar
09-10-2005, 01:38 PM
yw darlin ;)

yeah, that's right steve, I said it!! .. what?! what!?

That makes me so mad... i'm your darlin' damnit! You 2-e-timing bastard.

Punkarse
09-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have any tips about applying effects to vocals? I'm uncomfortable with my voice at the best of times, but really get nervous about leaving my voice dry when recorded. I've noticed I tend to react and overdo effects and eventually end up distorting it utterly 'till it sounds nothing like me.

What are the best, most tasteful, and best sounding things you can do to vocals without destroying them utterly?

RobbieMac2002
09-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Punkarse
What are the best, most tasteful, and best sounding things you can do to vocals without destroying them utterly?

reverb... i think is the healthiest thing you can add to your vocals... from my limited experience recording vocals at home... adding a simple reverb is best... dont overdo it... if its noticable (like 'woah thats reverbing') then youve probably added too much

also, a lot of artists double track their vocals...

this means they record them once... then on a seperate track they record themselves singing the whole song again... this takes a lot of skill and patience because you need to make sure you hit the same notes at the same time in each recording... but after they are done, you can add a touch of reverb to each... pan one a bit left, one a bit right and there you go... deep sounding stereo vocals :)

edit: thanks for the tips Fi... i recognise that it will take a long time... ive been working over the past year on slowly but surely expanding my higher range, and have gained about 6 or 7 semitones... but ive been neglecting my lower range barriers... ill try your exercises... if i do them in my underwear will that make them kinkier? :cool:

slash_pwns
09-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, Cor, I'm talking about the choruses... First one being at 4:05.

Corwinoid
09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
^ Its the backup(s) singing a third or fourth higher carrying just the first word of each line in the chorus; the reverb/chorus effect is cut to a much more milder effect, and two lines are carries.

slash_pwns
09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds like thirds to me.

Thanks for the help!

daft
09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I was looking at information about different singing classes on wikipedia.
It has a list of tenor/baritone/bass singers in popular and it says that John Lennon and George Harrison were both tenors, but Paul McCartney is a baritone. From listening to alot of Beatles I always thought Paul sang the highest out of them all.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

SingingSabre
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM

Shhhhh!

Robbie: if you want to strengthen those low notes, try frying bacon. It's an exercise I talked about in article 3 or 4. You basically sing that low note at the very bottom of your range and hold it for a few minutes (between breaths). This can, and usually will, strengthen the bottom of your range.

Also, I like a tiny bit of reverb. The slightest amount so that you think "Hey...is that reverb? Nah, couldn't be!"

Balsamo
09-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Are there some good quick warm-up excersises that can be done in 5-10 minutes and that actually work? I'd need to sing at this at my school and I'll have just the break before the class to do my warm-ups. (assuming I don't start humming scales at my physics class)

fuzzybunny
09-12-2005, 09:18 AM
^I used to sit in class before performances and hum :p: I could get away with it though cos everyone knew I was a bit eccentric :sad:

I see another opportunity for Fuzzytips...

Aunty Fuzzybunny's tips for a quickie...
(and again, it's not half as kinky as it sounds)

Ok, so you have 5 minutes...

0:00 - 2:00
Try 'brr'ing in scales (you know, blowing out through your lips and making a brrr noise) and then swapping to 'rrr'ing (rolling your tongue) in scales and arpeggios. This'll help you to keep any nasal sounds away. Do it both staccato and legato (short and punched, and long and slow).

2:00 - 3:00
Start doing some slow scales. Use vowel sounds like 'oo', and make sure that the sound isn't coming out through your nose. Start in a comfortable part of your range and move up, then start doing them down.

3:00 - 4:00
Do the same as before, but with arpeggios. Now use more open vowel sounds like 'ah'. Make sure you're doing everything with confidence, else warming up is pointless.

4:00 - 5:00
Have a quick run through bits of the piece(s) you're singing. Do the bits that you're not so confident about, and then do bit that you are confident about. That way, you'll feel better about the whole thing.

And ta-daaah, you've just about sort of warmed up, given the circumstances :p:

Balsamo
09-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks! I'll try that. Not that my singing would be listenable anyway but atleast now (hopefully) people will seperate it's actually a human voice, not a strangeling cat.

petrina_678
09-13-2005, 03:08 AM
singing sabre...i always thought you were a guy no offence ...i'm a girl too!! Till i visited ur d music page and realised you were a girl!!
LOL!well yea i got a question i realised when i drink milk it creates phlegm(sp??) and i actually makes growling easier...has anyone else ralsied this??

fuzzybunny
09-13-2005, 10:31 AM
^SingingSabre is a guy :eek: I'd run a mile if I heard a girl look or sing like that.

The fact that there's more phlegm would make it easier to growl, basically because there's more shit to vibrate. Makes it sound more throaty and generally 'grrr'ish.

SingingSabre
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Erm...I am a guy. Not a bearded lady, mind you, but a genuine male, complete with protruding genitals (that's right, an outie, not an innie).

Phlegm makes it easy to BS a growling sound. One of the reasons I drink White Russians at karaoke.

How did you think I was a girl from my dmusic page? I'm confused...

*Disclaimer: the above post does not condone underage drinking. It simply encourages it...to be avoided...or something like that.

one trick pony
09-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RobbieMac2002
reverb... i think is the healthiest thing you can add to your vocals... from my limited experience recording vocals at home... adding a simple reverb is best... dont overdo it... if its noticable (like 'woah thats reverbing') then youve probably added too much

also, a lot of artists double track their vocals...

this means they record them once... then on a seperate track they record themselves singing the whole song again... this takes a lot of skill and patience because you need to make sure you hit the same notes at the same time in each recording... but after they are done, you can add a touch of reverb to each... pan one a bit left, one a bit right and there you go... deep sounding stereo vocals :)

I'm just starting to experiment with recording home vocals and these seem like good tips. I have a question on double tracking. Is it best to record two seperate vocal tracks or just duplicate the original and tweak the effects (reverb and such)?

I kind of liked the sound of doing one track with mild distortion or overdrive and then another track clean.

Thanks for any help. Both vocal threads have been interesting and helpful.

SingingSabre
09-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by one trick pony
I'm just starting to experiment with recording home vocals and these seem like good tips. I have a question on double tracking. Is it best to record two seperate vocal tracks or just duplicate the original and tweak the effects (reverb and such)?

I kind of liked the sound of doing one track with mild distortion or overdrive and then another track clean.

Thanks for any help. Both vocal threads have been interesting and helpful.

Try doing both and see which you like more. :)

As far as I know, neither way is more correct than the other.

Desk Jocky
09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Doubles sound best when they are very similar but not exactly the same. They have to have the same tone but they don't always have to be the same exact notes. Also if you just double your track you won't be able to do harmonies in the doubles.

But....
If you want to hide the fact you recorded doubles just use the original track...

kcfshorty
09-13-2005, 08:58 PM
ok well ive been singing forvever...in tons of chorus' and ive done this youth all-state chorus thing for the last three years...three years trying out and three years making it and singing...i have no problem with pitch or nething and i like to consider myself a accomplished vocalist even though im...pretty young...ive just started a band and we really dont know who is going to sing...me and my drummer (right now we are the only guys, i do have a freind who can play bass i just dont know how good he is) decided that i was going to sing...we dont know whats going to happen, whether we are going to look for someone else to sing or stick with me...but right now when i sing im failing to get a good rock sound...then again i havent been able to really listen to myself...but my freind says i sound "TOO CHORUS" how in gods name can i get a more "rock sound" from my classically trained voice and make it sound good...

petrina_678
09-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh now i feel like a FOOL FOOL FOOL!
I was refering to fuzzy bunny!!!!!!!!Ahhh
I'm slapping myslef right now so sorry to singing sabre!

SingingSabre
09-14-2005, 03:12 AM
kcfshorty: Play with your emboushure. Try closing your soft palate a tad, sing a little more through your nose or in your throat. You are at the opposite end of the spectrum of the people we help out here. Congrats!

ElectricMonk
09-14-2005, 08:02 AM
As to recording doubles tracks...

You can do it either way quite succesfully with (apparently, to the relatively untrained ear) very similar results.

If you duplicate you track, then slice it up into regions (sentances without breaths) that contain whole unbroken phrases, you can nudge one track forwards or back along the timeline a few ms here and there to create the illusion of a true double track. You can also use your software to EQ or verb it as you suggested - you can ever buy a program now that creates an automatic double track from a single vocal track. You can even set it to create harmonies, with each vocal track having their own vibrato depth and speed - aswell as subtle differences in their attack and pitch! Software is by the masters of vocal tweeking - Antares (course) look 'em up. Not everyone can afford it (me included) but I always thinks its interesting to know what the pro's use - it will effect your recording psychology if nothing else!

For most people though, its a matter of taste and ease of recording (dependant on your timeframe/budget/set-up). I always record at least three tracks of each vocal part, even if I plan not to use two of them. When in the digital domain, you have the option of doing that type of thing and whether you use it or not, its always better to have it there - just in case. I often make one super-steroid-enhanced-super-take from three good takes, if I have the time and the option, by cutting the good phrases and sewing them together into one coherant track. A little adjustment in levels, a bit of EQ and some compression will allow you to create ace vocal tracks using this method - but it is very time consuming and detail-intensive, not really appropriate for demos. The added plus is it gives you raw material to work with - for doubling or whatever you wish, and when you listen to a vocal track 100 times you will always appreciate it, as you will start getting really annoyed with very minor blips in the takes.

Doubling isn;t something I really like though, I have to admit. Its always far better in my opinion to get your vocal strength from a great central vocal track and good harmony.

frd_marshll
09-14-2005, 09:56 PM
i have a question on witch i am pretty clueless about

what equiment do i need i want to become a singer i know a mic and cable that is about it please help me

Corwinoid
09-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Err... a voice.

You don't really need a mic and cable?

frd_marshll
09-14-2005, 10:41 PM
^ a voice i already have one of those and its pretty good
but what do i need to start a band

Corwinoid
09-14-2005, 10:48 PM
^ Other people to make noise?

Caressing Death
09-16-2005, 07:49 AM
I cant find a good singer so Im gonna start it. I like Ozzy, Dickinson and Phil Anselmo; is it possible to sing like them and be able to play guitar doing them both fleuntly? Also how much does singing limit your playing?

fuzzybunny
09-16-2005, 11:54 AM
^Graaaaaah!!!

If they can do it, it must be possible.

It depends on the person as to how much singing limits their playing - some people find it to be second nature to play and sing at the same time, and others think there must be something wrong with them because it seems so difficult.

Practice usually does it - the more you practice, the better you'll get (simple logic, really). Start with songs with easier timing and rhythm, then try the things that you really want to play.

ridcullylives
09-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Corwinoid

You don't really need a mic and cable?

Apparently in an early Zep gig Plant's mic broke and he had to just sing over the band. He managed to do it....

fuzzybunny
09-17-2005, 05:40 AM
^Obviously when there wasn't a huge screaming audience then ;)

Corwinoid
09-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Not the audience... they're shouting against you and can't hear themselves. The band obviously wasn't too loud to be heard over; or no-one really noticed. Hell, half the time you can't hear the vocals anyway, so everyone probably heard the guy next to them shouting in their ear and thought it was Plant.

ArvinBadass
09-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Ozzy Doesnt play guitar, he gets randy rhoads to play while he sings

HedBanger24/7
09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Me and my friend are in a heavy metal band but we dont have a singer yet. We both dont really want to be the lead singers but we both plan on being background vocalists/screamers. I have found out that i suck at singing. One song im trying to sing with is Triviums Pull Harder on the Strings or your Matyr. I cant reach any high notes because they sound muffled. I also cant scream. Whenever i try it cause out like im whispering. I also never realised until i recorded myself but i CANT say my s right! I have kind of a lisp and no one told me! I have tried the vocal exercises on UG Articles and they helped a little bit but i still have these problems. Can anybody help?

Corwinoid
09-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Recording really brings out S's and similar sounds, actually ask someone who you normally deal with if you actually do lisp, or if it's a a recording artifact.

If it's the recordings, run it through a de-esser.

If it's you, focus on bringing the tip of your tongue down when you pronounce S's. Work on it speaking slowly, then speaking normally, and finally when you sing.

OpFor
09-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I keep seeing lessons on writing lyrics... but never how to ACTUALLY APPLY THEM TO A SONG. How do some people write down how the lyrics actually fit in with a song? Just sit around with a guitar and play the note and match your voice to it? What?

noside
09-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by SingingSabre
kcfshorty: Play with your emboushure. Try closing your soft palate a tad, sing a little more through your nose or in your throat. You are at the opposite end of the spectrum of the people we help out here. Congrats!

i have to laugh about that for me too... i spend most of my time trying to get more forward resonence...

on a side note... the doctors have discovered that i have a chronic sinus infection (this would explain why i was having so much trouble finding the forward resonating spots). I'm currently on more fourth dose of meds (apparently sinus infections can take a while) but if this doesn't work surgery is the only other option.... i'm praying...

SingingSabre
09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by noside
on a side note... the doctors have discovered that i have a chronic sinus infection (this would explain why i was having so much trouble finding the forward resonating spots). I'm currently on more fourth dose of meds (apparently sinus infections can take a while) but if this doesn't work surgery is the only other option.... i'm praying...

See if you can find a craniosacral therapist. They might be able to help a lot. It's quite a bit better than surgery. :)

RobbieMac2002
09-19-2005, 04:41 PM
its all part of being the curse of the singer... especially when you are starting out and you share mics and basically work with whatever equipment you can find...

my situations havnt been as serious as surgery, but i feel for you, ive had 3 serious throat infections... one that led to me having a week's course of anti-biotics being injected in my butt...

maybe we should post ideas of herbal things that people can take to look after their throats...

I use a thing called propolis, i gargle with that daily... take all my vitamins etc...

ive heard about a thing called arneca... whats that about?

zango
09-19-2005, 05:01 PM
ok, im not a great singer.. i play guitar, so im not sure how to make a specific question out of this but yeah...

im starting to sing, cuz my band cant find a singer so why not eh, and i really like the sound of the singer of sydney.

http://www.purevolume.com/sydney

go to the 3rd song, and listen up, if anyone could give me some tips on what i have to do to practise to sound like that, and also the scream he throws in around 2:41.

sorry i cant be any more specific... im not one for singing terms and ****.

im a newbie, but decent, so anyones help will be appreciated.

petrina_678
09-20-2005, 03:26 AM
does anyone ever have days that ur voice seems so f**ked up and stuff and you dont seem to be able to sing? Today is one of that kind of days for me...

Balsamo
09-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by petrina_678
does anyone ever have days that ur voice seems so f**ked up and stuff and you dont seem to be able to sing? Today is one of that kind of days for me...

I have those too. LUckily only about 365 days a year:D No but seriously, when it happens, it happens, there ain't a **** you can do, just avoid singing for the day and hope it'll be better tomorrow... Atleast for what I know.

RobbieMac2002
09-20-2005, 08:06 AM
if you wake up and your voice is ****ed for whatever reason... try not to sing for a day...

BUT... sometimes you might have a performance that evening?

this happened to me, my voice was fried from too much practising the day before...

i drank warm water with quite a lot of lemon juice and a spoon of honey in it for the whole of the morning and afternoon... and by the evening it was good to go...

but itll make you piss a lot, so stop a good hour or three before the show

doctor_rocker
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
When I sing into a mic (I keep the mic volume down a bit and sing louder into the mic because I understand the sound quality is better that way) my voice seems a bit off key. I sound fine, but when I hear the sound from the PA, i sound a bit off key. My bandmates say I sound good, and I have heard that hearing yourself on a recording or PA sounds different to you then others...

anyway, what I'd like to know is is that true? Are my bandmates lying just to screw with me as some joke? OR Am I just paranoid and should chill out?

SingingSabre
09-22-2005, 01:17 PM
dr. rocket: I think you're being paranoid and should just chill out. :)

You always sound different when listen to yourself from a recording or a speaker. The resonance you usually experience is from the bones and sinuses of your head. With a speaker, you hear what others hear, not what you hear with your cranium vibrating.

It takes a little bit, but you'll get used to it. :)

frd_marshll
09-23-2005, 11:23 PM
what kind of eqquitment do i need to be the singer in a band

Kinsl@yer
09-24-2005, 09:16 AM
what kind of eqquitment do i need to be the singer in a band
well, actually, you don't need any. except for a mic for recording of course, and if you are playing gigs, most places already have microphones and PA and that sort of stuff :)

frd_marshll
09-24-2005, 12:42 PM
^thanks

FenderStrat1337
09-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Alright at the moment I'm the singer/guitarist in my punk band, and Im not sure yet if im the permanent singer or not. When I sing along to albums, I think I sound really good, and if I sing without music, I still think I sound alright. Even when I hook up into a PA I think I sound pretty good. However whenever I hear a recording from a camcorder (which is the only recording Ive heard of myself), I sound extremely bored and sound like I'm just talking the lyrics. I tried putting all the emphasis I could into my voice, but I still sounded bored on the tape. Is this just a matter of confidence? The last time I heard my voice on a tape was about 3 months ago, and I literally sing songs around my house for hours a day.

Does anyone know why I sound fine until I hear myself recorded?

And also does anybody know how you can put more emphasis in your voice? It sounds like a stupid question but it seemed at the time that I was putting as much emphasis in it as possible.

SingingSabre
09-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Fender: This is probably a confidence and support issue. How is your vocal support? Even though you're singing punk, you still want to properly reinforce your voice with your diaphragm.

One other thought: does your idea of "enthusiasm" make your singing more emotional and interactive, or does it make you merely louder? :)

FenderStrat1337
09-24-2005, 05:47 PM
^by enthusiasm i mean singing with more emotion and not sounding like im bored and just talking. And lately I have been trying to sing with my diaphragm and its made a difference in how I hear it, so hopefully itll sound better on recordings.

SingingSabre
09-25-2005, 04:46 AM
It should sound better on recordings. I'd love to hear some before and after clips!

FenderStrat1337
09-25-2005, 12:23 PM
^ 1st gigs on Halloween so Ill be able to show you some songs from that and maybe thatll help a bit

frd_marshll
09-25-2005, 06:22 PM
well, actually, you don't need any. except for a mic for recording of course, and if you are playing gigs, most places already have microphones and PA and that sort of stuff :)

wait i just thought of something what about pratice and stuff

Stimpomatic
09-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Erm...I am a guy. Not a bearded lady, mind you, but a genuine male, complete with protruding genitals (that's right, an outie, not an innie).

wow me too!

Zeus2716
09-26-2005, 02:34 PM
ok question here. i hope you guys can help, as this is a pretty big problem. when i sing and play guitar, i always sing in the wrong key. every now and then i get lucky. i go to a performing arts school, and have talked to many people, and they dont really have any advice for me. one vocal teacher told me i am really lucky b/c people study for years to be able to do that, and i just do it naturally. keep in mind my pitch is good, but i just cant get in the right key (i.e. the pitch is write for the key i am sainging in). if anybody has any tips or suggestions, i would really appreciate it. i hope i made some sence.

:cheers:

SingingSabre
09-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Zeus: do you go sharp or flat?

danocaster
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I was looking at information about different singing classes on wikipedia.
It has a list of tenor/baritone/bass singers in popular and it says that John Lennon and George Harrison were both tenors, but Paul McCartney is a baritone. From listening to alot of Beatles I always thought Paul sang the highest out of them all.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Don't trust everything you read on wikipedia, paul was definately a tenor, hell he can sing in a low alto range if he wants to.

Zeus2716
09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Zeus: do you go sharp or flat?

it is not so much that i am sharp or flat, but i cannot get into the right key.
if you are asking if i am in a key that is sharp or flat of the key i should be in, it really depends on the song, although i believe i would be sharp most of the time

SingingSabre
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
if you are asking if i am in a key that is sharp or flat of the key i should be in, it really depends on the song, although i believe i would be sharp most of the time

That's what I was looking for!

If you're sharp most of the time (which is quite rare, I might add), then you may be trying too hard. Try backing off and letting the song just happen.

coffeeguy9
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Okay... I have sorta a problem with a soon-to-be-band member. He is an awesome all genre bassist and drummer... But he also is the only one that wants to sing and INSISISTS on it. But the down point.... He likes Blink 182 and Slipknot and has the most annoying nasily voice ever. He refuses to get rid of it because he says "The chicks love it" and he blames it on his slightly crooked nose. Our band consists of me (A Led Zeppelin Fanatic) my friend Bassist (a Queen Fanatic) and another guitarist (A hendrix Fanatic) and the subject friend is a Blink 182 and Slipknot fan and just doesn't fit in. He also has a kickass drumset and so much equipment and a place to jam at all hours... Any suggestions to either find another singer or fix the current one?

SingingSabre
09-26-2005, 11:41 PM
It sounds like a problem more suited for the "My Band" thread. However, I suggest you find a different singer. If a component of your band doesn't fit, then it brings down your quality of music and your level of fun.

Zeus2716
09-27-2005, 02:24 PM
That's what I was looking for!

If you're sharp most of the time (which is quite rare, I might add), then you may be trying too hard. Try backing off and letting the song just happen.

allrite thanx for that bit of advice, i will definately try to not try so hard lol. also, if there are a few songs i am always flat on, what are some tips to not be flat?

SingingSabre
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
If you're going sharp, you're trying too hard. If you're going flat, you're often not using enough energy.

gogita21
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey, can anyone give me tips on improving my vocal range? So far I'm halfway between bass 1 and tenor 2, I have a few more notes than an octave and a half and I'd like to go both higher and/or lower than my current range, though preferably higher. Should I just do ascending/descending scales in both directions, or what?

SingingSabre
09-30-2005, 10:34 AM
gogita21: Check out the FAQ I wrote on the first page. You can find some signing tricks, warm ups, and vocal expansion exercises there.

Zeus: Try imagining yourself hitting over the note when you find that you're going flat.

TeenBite
09-30-2005, 04:35 PM
By the 29th October I need to expand my range about three semitones. I'm familiar with scales etc., so I'd just really like to know if it's possible and what I should do and how often I should do it (how much could I actually increase my range in a month?)

Cheers, Ben

SingingSabre
09-30-2005, 06:24 PM
TeenBite: do the exercises 2-3 times a day at least (if you start getting fatigued, back the hell off) every day. It's possible to get what you're trying for, but not very likely to get 3 semitones.

Good luck!

turini1
09-30-2005, 08:03 PM
SingingSabre i have a problem i do not think my regular voice is to good but if i sing i dont want to embaress myself is it possible that not everybody can sing? i would like to but dont know if im capable

TeenBite
10-01-2005, 03:03 AM
The exercise lasts about 40 minutes, do I need to do it 2-3 times a day?

SingingSabre
10-01-2005, 04:51 PM
turini1: Your question is too subjective for me to answer comfortably. Sorry.

Teen: 40 mins should be good. :)

Mattskas
10-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey. I was just wondering if its a bad idea to run a mic through a (guitar)multi-effects processor for recording my vox since I have no pre-amp. Its only for recording on my PC- a virtual mutitrack studio thing. I've tried once and it seemed ok but is it going to significantly effect the quality of the sound?

TeenBite
10-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Depends on the quality of the preamp. Also, make sure you have the preamp set on bypass so it doesn't add any effects to your voice. As microphones let out a far smaller signal than guitars (assuming you have a dynamic one), then you won't be damaging the preamp by trying.

Well, my voice is constantly sore these days. I hadn't had a sore throat in a good few years until I started singing at around Christmas, and now I wake up every day with one. On top of this, I now have to force out two AFI songs, two Hives songs and two ACDC songs by the end of October, and I just physically can't. So, my grandad is putting me in touch with a singing teacher.

SingingSabre
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Teen: I told you to back off if you started getting fatigued!

GibsonIdiot77
10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
What kind of falsetto does Zakk Wylde use? And how would I go about singing like him? What are all the different kinds of falsettos?

SingingSabre
10-03-2005, 05:43 AM
Falsetto is falsetto. Please refer to the FAQ on page 1.

TeenBite
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
SingingSabre: I haven't even attempted the scales you recommended I do 2-3 times a day. My throat is feeling better now, it might have just been a small bug I had, but still, singing lessons will teach me far more than a thread on an internet forum (no offence, you are a fantastically helpful person).

GibsonIdiot77
10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
How would I sing in my falsetto?

Murdok_the_rake
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Hello all. I've been singing for my band for about 3-4 months.
First question:
I've recently been trying to properly breathe by using my diaphragm, but after I take a couple breaths using this method, it feels like I'm hyperventilating. Is it just because I'm not used to it?
Second question:
I was told by someone that sometimes when I sing I go flat. What are some ways that I can keep this from happening and/or improve my singing in general?
Thanks

SingingSabre
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Murdok:
First question: you're probably breathing either too fast or slow. It's not so much about changing the speed you breathe at, but how you support the air coming out.

Second question: try injecting more energy (note: not volume) into your singing. Also, think of aiming for the top of the note, rather than the middle.

Fender67019
10-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Okay, I've read through this whole page and haven't found any good advice on screaming.
If I try to scream from my chest or gut, it just comes out like I'm whispering and makes my throat hurt. Can someone give me GOOD advice on screaming?

one trick pony
10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Can anyone recommend any voice training software? Preferably something with a free trial, so I can check it out before purchasing. I'd like something that can tell me what note/pitch I am singing it, with vocal excercizes, etc. I've seen a few of these but never tried any. Now I can't recall any by name.

Thanks for any help.

Kinsl@yer
10-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Okay, I've read through this whole page and haven't found any good advice on screaming.
If I try to scream from my chest or gut, it just comes out like I'm whispering and makes my throat hurt. Can someone give me GOOD advice on screaming?
I'm wondering the exact same thing. when I try to scream it sounds like I whisper, I can't get it loud, but my throat doesn't hurt! :p:
edit: remember to scream from your stomach, and relax your throat. opening that thing at the back of your mouth also helps.. just try something out, it's not supposed to hurt! :cheers:

TeenBite
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
But it's screaming? Screaming is meant to be painful for all the emotion. I mean, you don't scream about being happy!

SingingSabre
10-05-2005, 01:57 PM
one trick pony: you can find out what pitch you're singing with a simple guitar tuner. You can find exercises by running a search and/or reading the first page of this thread. If you're going to spend money on learning to sing, I'd suggest getting a vocal coach over a computer program.

Fender and Kinsl@yer: The FAQ on page 1 has some good advice on screaming :p: :no:

zoltan256
10-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I play the electric guitar, and when i don't sing along, I can play it fine, but when i sing along my playing(especially strumming) screws up easily. Any solutions?

Also if there are any nice songs to practice singing along then that would be good too :)

SingingSabre
10-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Zoltan: practice...practice...and, for a change of pace, practice! Start really slow and gradually bring it up to speed.

LedZeppelin
10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey all, I'm in a band and we're trying to start playing some heavy stuff, so I wanna do some really low death metal growling. When I say that, I mean like the vocals in Nile. I've got a few problems...first, my throat hurts like a bitch when I do it, and second, I can't hold it for that long. Any suggestions?

GibsonIdiot77
10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
How would I get into my grungy falsetto where you sing from your throat? Like Kurt Cobain type falsetto. How do I do that?

SingingSabre
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Led: that's because what you're doing is bad for your voice and throat. I highly recommend against it. That's why I don't advise on how to do it.

Gibson: Kurt didn't really sing in his falsetto. He just had a high grungy voice. :) You have to learn to sing all gruffy and then sing high to do it. Another reason why imitating voices is bad...

GibsonIdiot77
10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Not really tryin to imitate him I just knew he sang from the throat and I was using him as an example. How would I get that grungy kinda singing voice? I've tried but I can't figure it out.

zoltan256
10-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Zoltan: practice...practice...and, for a change of pace, practice! Start really slow and gradually bring it up to speed.I'll try it out. Thanks!

EZLN libertad
10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
for all of you that want to scream and growl and stuff, you gotta get your singing voice up to speed before you try that ****, you gotta do the exercises and all, otherwise your throat isnt conditioned and it kills it

frippogenics
10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I try singing every once in a while, and for the most part, I can actually get on key. But the problem is my voice always sounds like **** no matter if I'm on key or not. It seems like I'm emphasising letters strangley or whatever. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Was I just meant to not sing?

Red.Washburn77
10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
How can I scream or growl?
Don?t attempt to do this until you have well learned how to control your voice in a melodic manner. It can be dangerous to your voice.

If you need to ask this, you haven?t trained enough to know how to do it safely.

so what if I don't want to learn about controling my voice. I discovered I can scream pretty well, but I never learned any of this "control" crap

SingingSabre
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Well then congratulations, Red.

Chances are that without learning "this control crap" that you'll end up going hoarse and possibly losing your voice after each time you sing that way. It's really no sweat off my brow.

Just don't ask me for advice on how to get your voice back when you need it.

fuzzybunny
10-11-2005, 12:19 PM
^Oh let the boy ruin his vocal cords. He seems to want to ;)

SingingSabre
10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I intend to, Fi! I just don't want him to come back here looking for advice on how to fix them!

J.W
10-11-2005, 03:27 PM
I apoligize if this has been asked before and/or sounds like a stupidly simple question, but how exactly do you sing from your diaghram? I'm a little confused... :(

fuzzybunny
10-11-2005, 06:52 PM
What, no 'welcome back' party Sabre? :p:

J.W - Read the FAQ on page 1. If you're still stuck, then make a really loud bellowing noise that you can feel comes from 'within' instead of your throat - you just did that from your diaphragm. Breathe deep, "anchor the sound", and don't sing from your throat. Easy :)

GibsonIdiot77
10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Singing Sabre, did you get my PM?

J.W
10-12-2005, 12:31 PM
J.W - Read the FAQ on page 1. If you're still stuck, then make a really loud bellowing noise that you can feel comes from 'within' instead of your throat - you just did that from your diaphragm. Breathe deep, "anchor the sound", and don't sing from your throat. Easy :)

Hm, just read the first page, and tried your example, still not 'exactly' sure, but I think i've got the gist of it. I'm pretty sure that that is how I'm singing at the moment, luckily. Thanks a lot for the help. :)

SingingSabre
10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I did get it, Gibson. Sorry for the delay in responding...I tend to answer more quickly to the forum than to personal messages.

I'm sorry if I'm bugging you but I would really like to know how get that grungy type singing voice. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Grunge voice. I don't really know how to teach that. It's kind of a harsh, slightly nasal, throaty rumble thingy. It's a sound that primarily comes from your throat if you don't have much training. You can pull the support down into your diaphragm and still get the throaty sound with sufficient practice.

Just go easy on yourself. It's really easy to screw your throat over in only a few minutes time, if that. Trust me, I know from firsthand experience.

FreebirdSolo
10-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok...I've been singing for around three months now, since my voice matured at least. I've been able to sing Radiohead's "Creep" well. I can do the verses well, the high pitched "Sheeee'ss..." fine, yet I can't hit the yelling note he hits in..."She runs...she runs...she runs...SHE RUUUNNSS!!!"<--Thats the note. Any tips I can have to help me improve hitting the note? All advice appreciated.

SingingSabre
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Freebird, read the FAQ on page 1 and practice.

Charlatan_001
10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't know if this should be in "My Band" , but it's about singing so whatever.

Our band has gone through about 4 singers and right now, we're stuck. We can't find a singer and we have all this material waiting to be finalized w/ the said singer.

Should the guitarist and I just take up the vocal duties (even though we dont have much experience, we can sing decently) or just wait till we find a permanent singer?

SingingSabre
10-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah...that should be in the "My Band" thread.

This thread would be more for if you were taking up the role of singer. If you were and asked what to do, I'd refer you to page 1 with the FAQ.

fattyDQ
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi guys, I've been singing for about three months. I'm in chorus at school and the teacher says I have a very good low bass voice. This, however, is a problem for what I want to be singing. I can sing songs within my range, with some work, no problem. My problem starts with the D note (on the b string of guitar), thats where i seem to get uncomfortable and bad intonation kicks in. On some songs it doesnt even seem to be that much of a problem. However, I am trying to sing "Good riddance" by greenday, and I not only seem to have trouble finding the right tone of voice to do the whole song in, but the D and E notes really give me a problem for intonation. For example on the words "turning" and "by" in the first verse and "test" and "lesson" in the prechorus. Any suggestions?

SingingSabre
10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Intonation is something you just need to practice and practice. Hopefully it'll either come slowly or just click. A good thing to do is to record yourself singing, play it back and listen if you're going sharp or flat (most likely flat).

If the song is out of your range, you're going to need to work on some vocal expansion techniques. You can refer to page 1 of this thread for the FAQ, or I recommend talking to your teacher about it. Your teacher should be able to recommend some exercises for you or even might be willing to work with you or give you a recommendation of vocal coach.

Good luck!

P.S. Realize that there are some songs that you're never going to be able to sing in the original key. You can also always try dropping your vocals down an octave.

Red.Washburn77
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi guys, I've been singing for about three months. I'm in chorus at school and the teacher says I have a very good low bass voice. This, however, is a problem for what I want to be singing. I can sing songs within my range, with some work, no problem. My problem starts with the D note (on the b string of guitar), thats where i seem to get uncomfortable and bad intonation kicks in. On some songs it doesnt even seem to be that much of a problem. However, I am trying to sing "Good riddance" by greenday, and I not only seem to have trouble finding the right tone of voice to do the whole song in, but the D and E notes really give me a problem for intonation. For example on the words "turning" and "by" in the first verse and "test" and "lesson" in the prechorus. Any suggestions?

what I'd do is just sing it a fifth or third lower, maybe. That's what my bad does with songs, because our vocalist has a really deep voice, and it sounds fine.

Red.Washburn77
10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Well then congratulations, Red.

Chances are that without learning "this control crap" that you'll end up going hoarse and possibly losing your voice after each time you sing that way. It's really no sweat off my brow.

Just don't ask me for advice on how to get your voice back when you need it.

Fine. Be that way.

But still, it doesn't really hurt at all after I do it...

you just have to scream at the top of your throat. That's the only way I know how to put it. If you feel it any lower, you're doing it wrong. That's what I found.

jI've never taken a singing lesson in my life, so if there are terms for anything like that, please tell me.

Kinsl@yer
10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know if this should be in "My Band" , but it's about singing so whatever.

Our band has gone through about 4 singers and right now, we're stuck. We can't find a singer and we have all this material waiting to be finalized w/ the said singer.

Should the guitarist and I just take up the vocal duties (even though we dont have much experience, we can sing decently) or just wait till we find a permanent singer?
well, why don't you just sing on the demo/album and then concentrate on finding another singer afterwards?

SingingSabre
10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey, Red, could you please tell me how you know you're doing it right if you've never had a singing lesson in your life?

How do you expect to be able to tell people how to do it "right" by saying things like:
you just have to scream at the top of your throat. That's the only way I know how to put it. If you feel it any lower, you're doing it wrong. That's what I found.?

I suggest you don't give out advice on things that can hurt people on a forum like this unless you actually know what you're doing -- and even if you do know what you're doing, giving out advice on how to "scream" is a very dangerous thing for those reading it.

Oh, by the way, if you're looking for a technique for screaming as close to safe and proper as it can be with how you're doing it...you've got your technique wrong.

geenday409
10-13-2005, 09:48 PM
i have only really sang a few times. I have pretty much NO experience. When i sing quietly and along with the cd i seem to be able to hit most of the right notes and it sounds decent. (im singing punk and pop punk songs btw). But when i play with my 40 watt amp on about 6 i have to sing real loud to be able to hear myself and i cant hit any right notes. If i were in a band and sang with a mic and stuff would it be way easier?, or are you always supposed to sing really loud with rock song?

fuzzybunny
10-14-2005, 08:06 AM
^You don't have to sing really loud for anything... Whatever you're comfortable with, as long as you're not mumbling and people can hear you (and it doesn't sound too frail). Use your diaphragm and sing out - see the FAQ on page 1 for tips :)

LazyGuitar
10-14-2005, 08:14 AM
I should give singing tips, eh Fi? :)

Kinsl@yer
10-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I want to learn how to scream, because I'm probably doing the vocals on my band's upcoming demo. So far I've only mastered singing clean, singing Dream Theater songs and stuff like that (of course I can't hit those really high notes :p: ). I don't think my voice sounds any good myself, but at least I sing it right I think... but, I wanna scream like Ihsahn in Emperor does, I manage to scream along to Emperor songs without hurting my throat BUT it's very low, it's almost like a whisper.. so how can I get it higher?? and how do I growl (Sirenia/Pantera style) without hurting my throat? thanks in advance :cheers:

fattyDQ
10-14-2005, 10:06 PM
How would you guys suggest getting over my fear of singing. I can sing in front of friends and stuff without being nervous much at all, the problem for me is practicing or recording at home with my parents here. I don't know why, it just makes me really nervous. Mostly the practicing because I know they will hear me and talk about how bad I sound I guess. I know I shouldn't care, and I try to tell myself to just forget about them, but its like i have a mental block and cant fully sing our and practice when they're around. Anyone else had a problem with nerves like this, and any suggestions?

That_Pink_Queen
10-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I just need some singing tips dealing with range. I guess I have a kinda deap voice or something, because I have no problem with low notes, just high ones. I find it easy to sing like mick jagger but when it comes to other bands I get in trouble. I'd to be able to sing like david bowie or the beatles, and try and get the range that freddy mercury has, but that might be impossible.

If you wanna hear some of my stuff, its at http://rockgarden.dmusic.com

frd_marshll
10-15-2005, 04:48 PM
so i recently me and some friends start a band
i am one of the screamers/singers
we will probley mostly scream but something when i am praticing screaming i get a lot of flem cought in my thort what is the best way to loosen it and get it out of there

Corwinoid
10-15-2005, 07:35 PM
^ Best or quickest?

You can cough/growl it out... but I'm not sure how good that is for your voice.

Or warm water.

Kinsl@yer
10-15-2005, 08:05 PM
the thumbrule when it comes to vocals is that if your throat hurts, you're doing it wrong.

Charlatan_001
10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
When I try to sing aggressively (ie. Dave Grohl, "Best of You") my voice just tends to go high and semi-cracks, and it's definately not that great. Any tips on how to sing loudly/aggressively?

Red.Washburn77
10-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey, Red, could you please tell me how you know you're doing it right if you've never had a singing lesson in your life?

How do you expect to be able to tell people how to do it "right" by saying things like:
?

I suggest you don't give out advice on things that can hurt people on a forum like this unless you actually know what you're doing -- and even if you do know what you're doing, giving out advice on how to "scream" is a very dangerous thing for those reading it.

Oh, by the way, if you're looking for a technique for screaming as close to safe and proper as it can be with how you're doing it...you've got your technique wrong.

And you have the rightr technique?

:wtf: :gun:

^you ^me

F*ck off and die

fuzzybunny
10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
^Actually, he does. Years of coaching, training and performances sort of give him one up on you, my love. If you're just going to swear at one of the most helpful guys in the thread and give out advice that's going to fuck people over, perhaps you should sort of, y'know, die.

primusfan
10-16-2005, 01:07 PM
When I try to sing aggressively (ie. Dave Grohl, "Best of You") my voice just tends to go high and semi-cracks, and it's definately not that great. Any tips on how to sing loudly/aggressively?

Try to impersonate Tom Waits' growl. I swear to God it works (I tried it for a song in my sig called "I Am Jeffrey" if you want an idea of what it came out sounding like)

Maybe scream into a pillow a few times if the Tom Waits thing doesn't work(not too much or too often though because you can permanently damage your vocal cords) before you start to sing to make it a little raspy and rugged. That way you don't have to sing as loud to sound aggresive, thus don't have a problem with high-pitched squeals/cracks.

Although, you might not just have the voice for it.

EDIT: Oopsy. Didn't realize there was no screaming advice here. Don't listen to anything I just said. SingingSabre's the expert, I'm just some punk kid who's never had a singing lesson in his life.:haha

Though I do know that guy from Disturbed screamed so much he burned his vocal cords spitting up stomach acid.:puke:

SingingSabre
10-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Kinsl@yer: I'm sorry, but we don't teach screaming and/or growling on this forum. It's too dangerous of a technique to safely teach over the internet.

Pink_Queen: The first page has a FAQ which addresses vocal range and exercises to build it.

Fatty: I don't know what to say about this. I used to be this way. What you need to do is find something you're really, really comfortable with and practice it in another room, out of their sight. Knowing they're there will probably freak you out, but just get into the song. When you're into the song, you'll practically forget they're there. Just keep working on it and building up your confidence level to where you want to be until you're more comfortable in front of them.

This may be a bit personal, but did they discourage you from music as a child?

Frd: What kind of diet do you have? Any dairy? Soda?

Charlatan: on page 1 of this thread is a FAQ. In it are some links to articles I wrote on singing tips and tricks. Read them and look for what I wrote about your passaggio.

What you're doing is reaching the end of your range in your chest voice and you haven't learned how to minimize your passaggio (read the articles, you'll understand) and/or work through it.

Red: you have issues.

EDIT: Wow. While I was typing this up, Primusfan and Fi both replied. Thanks, guys! :D

frd_marshll
10-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Frd: What kind of diet do you have? Any dairy? Soda?

i am a vegatiran so yeah i eat dairy but not to much just a little bit of cheese a day and rarely do i drink soda

SingingSabre
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
i am a vegatiran so yeah i eat dairy but not to much just a little bit of cheese a day and rarely do i drink soda

I can dig that.

So, to take care of your phlegm, I would suggest drinking room temperature water. Try warming up easier and for a longer period of time, also.

trunkshope6
10-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Im thinking of starting a punk/ska band and my friends tell me i have i have a good voice for it.But can anyone tell me how to sing ''punk''. When i try to sing like that i have to try to alter my voice ,it doesnt come naturally. So can anyone help?

LazyGuitar
10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
:wtf: :gun:

^you ^me

Looks like you have a machine gun and he's still giving you the run-around. Nice shooting kiddo.

Hush now if you don't want to be permanently hushed.

dudestop
10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey could someone find me some screaming articles on how to correctly do it, when ever I scream (sounds like As I lay dying), it doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable, but I know I'm not doing it right, and I don't want to **** up my voice. I could look for the articles myself, but I don't know whats right, best teqiques and all that.

Thanks for any help.

/first post.

punk_guitarist
10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
me and a couple of friends are going to like make this little mini music video for smells like teen spirit for the hell of it, and i was wondering if there was any tips on how to get my voice raspy like kurt cobain.i know yelling my ass off would get it there, but i was wondering if there were any other ways

That_Pink_Queen
10-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I get a really raspy voice when I sing a song thats just a little bit too high for my comfortable key. Only problem is if that song happens to have a range that takes you too high, lol. I'm no expert, though. I take it you want to sing in a good key.

loop-de-luke
10-18-2005, 05:46 AM
How can I become able to sing as good as Daniel Johns does without lessons? Because I don't want to have to go through all the starters songs and what not teaching you how to sing like in a orchestra or something... like, I wana be able to sing and sorta scream... Kinda like how he does in Anthem for the Year 2000 and Freak...
So far all Im doing is singing along to the songs and trying out different techniques but I dont know if im really getting anywhere...

Can anyone help?

loop-de-luke
10-18-2005, 07:06 AM
How would you guys suggest getting over my fear of singing. I can sing in front of friends and stuff without being nervous much at all, the problem for me is practicing or recording at home with my parents here. I don't know why, it just makes me really nervous. Mostly the practicing because I know they will hear me and talk about how bad I sound I guess. I know I shouldn't care, and I try to tell myself to just forget about them, but its like i have a mental block and cant fully sing our and practice when they're around. Anyone else had a problem with nerves like this, and any suggestions?

Hey man, I have exactly the same problem! Usually what I do is just practise when they are at work or whatever (which isnt very often unfortunately) or just have lotsa friends over and play the songs real loud on ur stereo or whatever and sing out really loud to them... I did that for the first time at a party and my friend said I sound just like the guy who sang it :) so that kinda gave me a confidence kick... and plus I guess it'd help solve the problem of being able to scream/sing...

fuzzybunny
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I should give singing tips, eh Fi? :)
No Steve... Just no :p:

...Unless there are any takers for lessons from UG's very own Ronan Keating ;)

Corwinoid
10-20-2005, 12:59 AM
^ Couldn't make my voice any worse than it is at the moment.

For fatty and luke, get over the parents thing... they'll probably be even more supportive than your friends; and if they're not... **** em.

I've always found it's harder to perform for somebody close to me, family, close friends, and for smaller groups of them, than it is to perform for a bunch of people I don't really care about. Criticism hurts more from people close to you, and you anticipate it.

Most people are more tactful than we give them credit for... if you do really suck, the people closest to you won't say anything about it. If you're fairly good, most of them will over inflate your ego.

fuzzybunny
10-20-2005, 03:46 AM
^I have issues with who I sing to, too ;) I can sing in the student bar, the street, and for my flatmates... But not for my boyfriend :p: Can't sing for my parents, either... Even if it's a huge audience, I still get even more worked up about it if I know my parents are in the audience. Then again, my dad's really really supportive, but my mum does nothing but criticise.

loop-de-luke
10-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Me and my "band" (<not really official yet, long story) are performing "Tomorrow" by Silverchair... I can sing the 2 main verses but the other bits are difficult... Can anyone help?
The real problem I guess is singing the higher bits where he goes "Hard to drink, very hard to drink" and the "you gonna wait til fat boy, fat boy wait til tomorrow" I find them quite difficult to hit the right notes and keep them going for long enough...

Any suggestions?

LazyGuitar
10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I can sing in the student bar, the street, and for my flatmates... But not for my boyfriend :p:

Your poor boyfriend... he must really want to hear you sing as well, especially because he thinks you sound beautiful from your recordings. He probably even sings for you... in a way :p:

fuzzybunny
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
^Maybe I don't sing for him cos it'd probably come out sounding awful just cos he was there (like my cooking... I can do it as long as he's not around) and I think he could outsing me with that dreadful Ronan Keating impersonation ;)

SingingSabre
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Loop: make sure to keep the sound anchored and supported from your diaphragm. Also, make sure you're not singing nasally on the high parts.

frd_marshll
10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
what is more inported sound or tone ?
when i scream it sounds better when its not as lound because i can control it better but do i need the loundness for it to sound good when playing in a band
or is that what mics are for

paul filth
10-21-2005, 12:20 AM
i havent screemed yet unless a dog is trying to bite my balls off but i would like to sing like Machine Heads Robb Flynn its not screeming but clean and bits where its graverly, any advice on not loosing my voice and having to have a computure to do the talking for me (Steven Hawkins).

SingingSabre
10-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Frd: tone is a part of your sound. When performing with a mic, you need to be able to project to the end of the mic, not just singing to the head of it. Mics take more work than you think, it's more than just volume.

loop-de-luke
10-21-2005, 02:49 AM
Loop: make sure to keep the sound anchored and supported from your diaphragm. Also, make sure you're not singing nasally on the high parts.

Yeah, when I sing I try to make sure I don't sing nasally... Because I've heard people sing nasally and it's really bad, and when ur the listener usually people quote on it if it's noticable...

But I'm also afraid of the high parts sounding try-hardy and crap or suddenly my voice going wack at the wrong moment...

SingingSabre
10-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Loop: if you haven't already, check out the FAQ on page 1. That'll link you to some great exercises to expand your range. It takes a lot of time and hard work to be able to comfortably sing higher, but it's certainly worth it.

Desk Jocky
10-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Quick question to the thread....
I sing fine and on key when I am singing with others (who are on key) and yet when they stop singing with me I go very flat. Is this common? Will only additional practice and time fix it or should I do something else?
Any suggestions would be appreciated

fuzzybunny
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
^You weren't in tune to begin with ;) It's just because everyone around you is singing and you can't clearly hear what you're doing. Practicing on your own will help - is it a confidence issue as well? Perhaps because everyone else has stopped singing, you stop putting as much effort in and the sound becomes more frail, making it more likely to be flat.

So!

- Sing out, even when the others stop.
- Practice on your own and listen... Record yourself and see if you're in tune or not.

Desk Jocky
10-21-2005, 03:52 PM
^You weren't in tune to begin with ;) It's just because everyone around you is singing and you can't clearly hear what you're doing. Practicing on your own will help - is it a confidence issue as well? Perhaps because everyone else has stopped singing, you stop putting as much effort in and the sound becomes more frail, making it more likely to be flat.

So!

- Sing out, even when the others stop.
- Practice on your own and listen... Record yourself and see if you're in tune or not.
Thanks for the advice.... I am actually singing through a PA system so i will try to record myself. I am convinced that I am on key with everyone else (and yes, I can hear myself through the monitors). I will practice on my own and record it and see if that helps...

jklsadj;sadjfak
10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
hey, what i was reading some lessons and they kinda sucked.....what is the soft platelet and how do you use it?

loop-de-luke
10-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Desk Jockey: Yeah, I have the same kinda problem (with the singing flat and what not)... But I don't usually sing by myself much, I usually practise to the cd of what song im singing and it sounds ok but then when I sing by myself it sounds like crap...

by the way, while on the subject, does that help improve your singing by singing with the cd?

SingingSabre
10-22-2005, 10:36 AM
jklsad: The lessons listed on the FAQ on page 1 detail how to use the soft palate. I believe it's covered in Part 2. If you have a more specific question, please ask it.

Loop: Singing with the CD can help you get the melody and whatnot, however you do need time where you sing with just an instrument. Your resonance is always best to yourself, as you have the bones of your head vibrating and amplifying your sound to yourself. Add on a CD with vocals and you have that much more tone going on. Does that make sense?

Sparkky
10-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Well Ive been doing some singing for about a year now, and I will be the first to admit I wasnt that good.
This year I joined the choir, and have been getting help from a friend of mine who is an absolutly amazing singer, but hes also not the greatest help in the world lol. I am getting better, but I am still learning.

I generally play with the friend, I play guitar he sings, and ive been trying to do some singing myself. But my problem lies in a very nasal sound.
Ive read your lessons, but im still at a bit of a loss on how to fix the problem. My friend always tells me to feel it in my forehead and not my nose. Ive been trying this but in all honesty, I have no idea what I'm trying to do with the feeling it in the forehead.

I usually practise guitar about 1-2 somtimes 3 hours a day, and I have been trying to sing along with the songs i practise, or sing along with scales. I try to fit in some vocal excerices as well. So im looking for somthing to practise that would help me with the Nasal sound that haunts me.

jklsadj;sadjfak
10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
where the hell is this frequently asked questions thing? i cant find it.

TeenBite
10-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Just for an update, I've had one singing lesson (from a very well-trained classical singing teacher) and I know more than reading internet articles ever taught me. It's highly advised!

SingingSabre
10-23-2005, 01:47 PM
jkl: it's on the bloody first page.

TeenBite has it right! I can type up lots and lots...but I can't physically show you how to do it. Vocal instructors are truly the best way to go.

madefortvmovie
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM
i have a problem with my vocal range... i can either sing really softly and melodically or louder and low pitched... but whenever i try to sing high, literally NO NOISE even is emitted. instead its a barely intelligable/discernable whisper... its really odd... i used to have quite an impressive range, but then puberty ****ed all that up.

is there any way i can work to improve my range in such a drastic way?

SingingSabre
10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Madefortvmovie: you're going to need to work heavily on keeping your sound anchored from your diaphragm (thanks, Fi, for the great visualization!) and on some vocal expansion exercises. Read page 1 for more info.

DaleH
10-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey everybody - quick quesiton here. I'm trying to learn how to smoothly transition in between my normal voice and falsetto and I could use some tips. I'm talking about the thing where your'e on a note in your normal voice and then you immediately switch to an octave up in your falsetto with no break - ala Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. Any pointers?

Corwinoid
10-23-2005, 10:25 PM
^ Practise. It's like any other muscle control, the more you work at it the faster you can do it. Focus on how the muscles feel as you're doing it, and not on how it feels to be doing it, and then develop that movement.

BPG
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I know it said something about asking this and not being ready, but whatever...

does anyone know how to scream/growl etc properly without damaging the vocal chords?
http://www.getsigned.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5SECMP3
That looked pretty good, anyone know the secrets?

Any input much appriciated... just need a couple of backing screams here and there for my solo CD :)

ZoSo_420
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
ive always heard people talking about what key they sing in. I dont understand this. I know what keys are in music and understand them fine, but how can you have 1 certain key that you sing in?

and, also.....how can i tell what key i sing in?

fuzzybunny
10-25-2005, 07:05 PM
^It depends on the song. Each song is in a different key, and that's what people mean.

scousertommy
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Okay, I've had a head cold for about 3 weeks straight now, and it's getting old.
When I try to sing now I just hit this wall in my head. Of mucus.
How can I try to make the most of this lame voice I seem to be temporarily stuck with?

Rymurda
10-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Singing Sabre...I guess you are the person to come to. I started singing about 6 months ago...horribly, but I can honestly say I've made A LOT of improvement.

My problem is holding the note....its not melodic and/or smooth is what i mean... It sounds like it is in my head but on recordings it is not. Is there a technique to make your voice flow?

frd_marshll
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
when i pratice screaming my stomch starts to really hurt alot about after 30 minutes i have to stop it hurts so much could it be from drinking to much water cause thats all i can think of

jklsadj;sadjfak
10-26-2005, 10:25 PM
ok...im really embaressed, but i read all the way through the first page and cant find detail on how to use the soft platelet. ill delete this post after, but can someone copy and paste or something cus im missing something.

SingingSabre
10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Rymurda: try some vibrato along with lifting your soft palate.

Jkl: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/singing_part_2.html

BPG
10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
when i pratice screaming my stomch starts to really hurt alot about after 30 minutes i have to stop it hurts so much could it be from drinking to much water cause thats all i can think of

How do you scream? :( I really dont know the first step to take in trying it..

danocaster
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Is there a way to tell if you are singing with your soft palate open or closed? Does it sound a certain way?

frd_marshll
10-29-2005, 01:24 PM
my throats is pretty scratchy from last night
what can i do to fix this as fast as possible

Corwinoid
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM
^ Drink a lot of water, and eat some honey.

one trick pony
10-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I spent some time this afternoon trying to match my voice to the open notes on my guitar. I was surprised to find that I could match every string except the low e. Just couldn't get that low. As for the other notes, I compared them to a tuner and they blended in just fine with the guitar. My notes were shakey and sharp most of the time, but I was happy that I was able to finally feel some connection between my voice and my guitar.

What can I do to improve my pitch. Will spending 30 minutes a night matching pitch to my guitar help me improve my singing ability (which I have none of)? I only did this making an AH sound. Should I try this with all the vowel sounds? Ay, E, I, O, Uh?

Thanks for any advice.

Corwinoid
10-30-2005, 05:30 PM
^ How old are you? Male/female?

For pitch matching like that, use the neutral 'la'
Otherwise work with solfege syllables (do re me fa so la ti do) and it's variations for different types of stuff.

jklsadj;sadjfak
10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
hey, i have a lot flem (cant spell) in my throat, and im supposed to sing for practice with my band on wednesday. how can i get rid of it, or stop myself from getting lots. btw i drink pop 24/7 and eat pure sugar and fat, cus i hear that makes it worse)

doctor_rocker
10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
yeah, soda, milk, and i think most sugary things are bad for your throat flem-wise... I dont drink any milk or soda or eat any sweets at all the day of a show/practice or the night before, just to clear all the flem outta my throat... you should be fine if you lay off the soda

jklsadj;sadjfak
10-30-2005, 11:45 PM
milk too? cus i drink a lot of that. what about doritos?

NotOneWithNames
10-31-2005, 01:52 AM
i dont think doritos would be bad but skittles are very very very bad for "flem"

SingingSabre
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Doritos contain dairy and processed products. Milk is, of course, dairy. Anything dairy increases the amount of phlegm you have. Pretty much anything heavily processed will create phlegm, especially sugary things. Stick with water for an hour or two before you need to sing and you'll be fine.

You should also experiment with different foods to see how they effect you.

danocaster
10-31-2005, 02:47 PM
SingingSabre, I'm not sure if you saw my question soo...

Is there a way to tell if you are singing with your soft palate open or closed? Does it sound a certain way?

one trick pony
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
^ How old are you? Male/female?

For pitch matching like that, use the neutral 'la'
Otherwise work with solfege syllables (do re me fa so la ti do) and it's variations for different types of stuff.

I'm 25 and male. I gave the la sound a try and it worked pretty well. I was actually able to match pitch on most sounds, just struggled a little to get there.

SingingSabre
11-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Danocaster: if you can plug your nose and sound pretty damned close to normal, rather than sounding like your nose is plugged, then your soft palate is open.

Corwinoid
11-01-2005, 03:46 AM
otp: Just keep practicing with it. Full solfege will help also. You can also try a beginning voice class at a local comm. college. Most of them are cheap as hell, and the instructors are usually incredibly good.

fuzzybunny
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
i dont think doritos would be bad but skittles are very very very bad for "flem"
Skittles and things like that (fruity hard acidic sweets that go chewy) act like Brillo pads on your throat - steer clear of them if you're going to try and sing well in the next 12 hours.

nightwind
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
First post in the vocal thread, yar.

I was wondering, how do I get my voice louder when singing? I don't want to sound like I'm screaming, I like to sing. How can I get more volume without losing too much tone? All this goes for falsetto too!

Appreciation directed at you, the answer giver.

RobbieMac2002
11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
do you want it to sound louder when you sing into a microphone?

or does it still sound quiet when you are singing on your own?

nightwind
11-03-2005, 03:30 PM
do you want it to sound louder when you sing into a microphone?

or does it still sound quiet when you are singing on your own?

Well, I figure if I can sing louder on my own , I can sing louder into a mic? I want to sing louder without a mic.

CrowleysInjury
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
sorry if it has already been posted/asked

but does anyone have any links to anything about how to scream properly (hardcore) and/or death metal growling done correctly so I dont completely explode my vocal tract?

Javie18
11-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Okay, so my singing is not too good. I wouldn't say that it's horrid, but I'm off key almost always. I know that most singers are born with talent. My question is, can I get better if I get some professional training? I've been singing in my car for AGES hoping I'd eventually get the hang of it. I just can't seem to stay or get in key of the songs. My singing sounds good in my head and then I play it back and I'm off key :(

That's me singing in the Killswitch Engage cover.

http://javie.dmusic.com/

I think I'm ok at screaming, even though I'm not by any means what you'd call good. Another problem I have, is that I simply don't have a high range on my voice. I can't sing things that are too high because I'll throw myself into a coughing fit.

Is there any hope for me?

SingingSabre
11-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Nightwind: the ability to sing loudly starts from proper support. Read the FAQs and links on page 1 for more information.

Crowley: do a search.

one trick pony
11-04-2005, 04:15 PM
SingingSabre,

I've been continuing to match my voice to my guitar. I've been doing it for less than a week, but I'm excited to be making progress finally. I can match my pitch to most of the notes on my guitar (haven't tried really high up the neck, however) and last night, was able to do the same with full chords (ie. play a G chord and hum along or sing vowels). I can't do this immediately, but usually within a few seconds, I can adjust my voice to match. This is similar to your Dmusic excersize with singing intervals, although right now I'm randomly playing notes, not moving chromatically or anything (although I tried and was able to do that as well)

So how would this apply to actually singing a song? If I'm playing a song with a G - D - C chord progression, do I need to match my voice to the pitch of each chord as I sing over it? I'm kind of confused by that. If you can elaborate on that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've noticed that when I sing along to something in the car, I can usually match my voice to the singing - sounds pretty decent, actually. However, if I sit down with my guitar and try to play the same song, It just doesn't sound right. I need the original song to be playing, or else I can't remember the pitch/notes, I guess. Is this just something that comes with practice?

Thanks for any advice.

It feels nice to actually make some progress towards singing.

Sylvesterin
11-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I dont know how many heard about the Swedich band "The Hives"

However, those who have couldnt have avoided to hear the singer making one of those screams, or what to cal it.

I have been trying to do one of those, but I never get it right, It just seem impossible, and as Dr. Phill didnt want to help me with it, I thought I ask you?

How do I do?

Matt_Malmsteen
11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Ok this has probably been posted a million times before, and I probs did a few of them..but I'm gonna try and be more specific.

I haven't really tried singing apart from singing along to HIM and some of the none-screaming Bullet for my valentine stuff.

So I want to know how can I learn to sceam like Matt Tuck/Matt Heafy. Just their style of shouty/screaming ness is amazing.

So how do I go about learning to scream like that, also I've never really tried to scream before so I need to know where to start, how long to practice..basically every little bit of info you can give me on screaming like them would be appreciated. I also like some of From first to lasts and alexisonfire screaming vocals..and none screaming vocals so if people could add some info on that as well I'll marry you(well not really..but I'll be really happy)

Thanx alot :D

SingingSabre
11-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Matt and Syl, do a search for "screaming." Seriously.

Pony, I'm working on your question. Haven't forgotten about ya. Sorry for the delay.

one trick pony
11-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Solid, man. Looking forward to your advice.

ericisthereason
11-11-2005, 05:22 AM
hey everyone, i just joined these forums. anyways on to my singing question. i am trying to do some singing however i have no rhythm whatsoever. i dont really have a problem with the singing part, however, i am really bad with singing in rhythm with the rest of the instruments. is there some way i can practice my rythm for singing?

BPG
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I got this Zoom 3 track and it has a built in microphone, main reason I got it was to do vocals on my CD at home whenever I feel like it. Only problem is, it kinda makes me sound like crap, I remember all the live shows and practices with old bands my singing was fine but this thing makes me sound odd. Same with my sister, as she loves to sing too she thought she sounded weird. Is there anything I can do about this, like any filters or frequency things to edit within some software? Is it our actual voices or the Zoom 3 track's condenser microphone quality?

BPG
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
On second thought I'm imagining almost anyone singing into it and then the result being a little 'funny'. is there anything I can do or should I try to sell it?

GhostDJR
11-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Okay, I haven't read much of this but I'm going to jump right on in with my question. I don't have a very pretty voice and I'm 13 so it's awkward sounding. I'd like to try and sound like Davey Havok from afi. I'd like to be able to jump really high and really deep. Again, I haven't been into singing long so I'm not good. I'm just looking for some starting tips and just some basic help.

geenday409
11-12-2005, 11:45 PM
hey, ive been practicing my singing by reading a few of the basics and stuff and singing along with songs for a month or so, and i can hit the right notes pretty well, but its like....my voice just seems boring. almost like im talking, but not quite that bad. and i sing pretty damn loud so thats not the problem. anyone have any tips?

indiecult99
11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Ok bottom line, I want to scream, growl, whatever. I am starting this metal band playing guitar and I want to do some backup vox. When I try to scream right now, it feels like my throat is just tearing apart. It just sounds really weak. I don't know, maybe I was just not meant to scream? Is it something that you are just naturally able to do? When I yell/scream, say if Im mad, it sounds like a powerful almost, Pantera kinda thing. In that ballpark. Thanks for any replies and help. Ask if you need any more info to help me.

indiecult99
11-13-2005, 09:39 PM
and if it helps at all, i would like to improve my, tone and volume. When I scream now, it sounds like Im whispering.

noside
11-13-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll save Fi and Sabre some time and hopefully some anger...

indie:
well... screaming doesn't exactly allow for a rich tone... for better tone and especially better volume you need proper breath support (find article links on the first page) and you need to work on resonating which is, in its most basic form, creating as much possible space for the sound to be produced through-->this can be achieved by raising the soft palate (also, look at the first page for links). Also, resonating more in the mask (your nasal cavities, not your nose) gives the sound a brighter quality that will cary more.

if it sounds like you're whispering, you may not have very strong vocal cords... to strengthen them, you want to practice healthy singing (p.s. screaming is not healthy singing...) maybe Fi or Sabre can point you in the way of some healthy singing drills to practice...

oh, and i just have to comment how unbelievable it is how many people want to "learn" how to scream. Besides proper breath support and maybe some strong vocal cords i really don't see much to it. Everyone is going to have a different sounding scream so stop trying to copy people... my rant ;)

Macank
11-13-2005, 11:39 PM
ok hi guys i want to sound like chad kroeger, i can growl almost same as him, i recorded me singing figured you out, the first verse and it sounded decent to me. I will post up the recorded version of me singing that song as soon as i can, or if you guys would add me on msn then i can send it to you over msn. I can sing easy vocals, my guitar teacher's band songs i sang and recorded it and sent it to him, and he said it wasnt that shabby, so i can sing alittle, but i really want to get better at - Range
- Tone
-growling like chad kroger from nicelback
- hearing the key
- power/volume
- breathing

so please help me out guys

SingingSabre
11-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Noside: thank you SO much!

SingingSabre,

I've been continuing to match my voice to my guitar. I've been doing it for less than a week, but I'm excited to be making progress finally. I can match my pitch to most of the notes on my guitar (haven't tried really high up the neck, however) and last night, was able to do the same with full chords (ie. play a G chord and hum along or sing vowels). I can't do this immediately, but usually within a few seconds, I can adjust my voice to match. This is similar to your Dmusic excersize with singing intervals, although right now I'm randomly playing notes, not moving chromatically or anything (although I tried and was able to do that as well)

So how would this apply to actually singing a song? If I'm playing a song with a G - D - C chord progression, do I need to match my voice to the pitch of each chord as I sing over it? I'm kind of confused by that. If you can elaborate on that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've noticed that when I sing along to something in the car, I can usually match my voice to the singing - sounds pretty decent, actually. However, if I sit down with my guitar and try to play the same song, It just doesn't sound right. I need the original song to be playing, or else I can't remember the pitch/notes, I guess. Is this just something that comes with practice?

Thanks for any advice.

It feels nice to actually make some progress towards singing.

The problem with matching vox to a chord is that there are 3 or more notes in that chord. I would suggest practicing arpeggios and single notes from that chord.

The biggest issue, for me at least, is matching the actual tone of my voice to the tone of the guitar. Pitch is easy, but it just sounds off when you have a different tone. Remember to keep your vibrato when matching pitches.

Singing in a key of a chord. Remember matching your voice to arpeggios and seperate notes in the chord? Do it there.

Eventually, with trial, error, and practice, you'll find how to stay in the key of a song. It's not always easy to find the key of a song...I sometimes have issues with it even after <insert arbitrary number here> years of singing. :)

Just hunker down and do it!

ok hi guys i want to sound like chad kroeger, i can growl almost same as him, i recorded me singing figured you out, the first verse and it sounded decent to me. <snip for compliment fishing and self plugging and beligerently inane I-didn't-read-the-FAQ tendencies>

so please help me out guys

Page 1. It's easy to find. Find it. Read it. :peace:

Macank
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
SingingSabre i read everything on page one, and i read those 4 lessons, but the growling properly without hurting your vocal cords is a small piece, i would like some more depth in that area please

SingingSabre
11-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Macank: growling without hurting your voice is next to impossible to teach over the internet. Even teaching it in person is very risky and still dangerous to your voice. The liability that I would take while attempting to teach it isn't worth it. Sure, it might not be a legal liability, but I wouldn't feel good knowing that I messed up someone's vocals.

Remember, we're all volunteers. We don't get paid to give out advice. So please respect us when we tell you that we're not going give information out about certain things. We (Corwinoid, FuzzyBunny, me, etc.) know a lot from years of training, practice, performance, and whatnot. Don't disrespect the time we voluntarily put into this. Thanks.
*steps off his soapbox*

Macank
11-15-2005, 11:38 PM
^^ok then thanks anyways, ok i need some more help, ok mym band is playing a gig in janaury and my band wants me to sing for them, so i sing the covers right, my mom hears me, she said i can sing it, but when i dont sing with the cd, and i sing it by myself i mess up the melody sometimes, like i sing the melody fine for 10 seconds, then the next 5 it goes everywhere, then i go back to the melody , so i need help learning to sing the melody to songs

geenday409
11-16-2005, 03:13 AM
hey, to sing, do you need to know notes and key of what your singing and stuff? or can you just kinda do it by ear?

fuzzybunny
11-16-2005, 11:44 AM
^You can just kinda do it by ear, so long as you're not tone deaf.

A vague question like that merits an answer like this ;) If you really want to know, give the whole problem, what you're doing at the moment, and what's going wrong.

SingingSabre
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Macank, you're going off key without the instruments/cd backing you up. It's common. Without the music, you lose your reference for where you need to be tonally.

Kroach
11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
When does the voice reach full maturity? And how long does it generally take to regain full vocal capability after having stopped singing for a long time?

sorry if thes questions have already been asked..

Oh yeah, the lowest note i can hit well is D the low one =P, does that mean I could sing with training in like hardcore for example hatebreed style? (btw i'm 16 in march)

Jandy
11-16-2005, 09:33 PM
This may belong in the vocal tips thread, if so please move it.

Has anyone here gone from being a terrible vocalist (no natural talent) to being even decent? I've been working on this for a while, I am a terrible singer bad timber, nasal sounding, and it's difficult for me to stay on key. I've been doing some exercises that would supposedly help this for a while now... singing the major scale and then playing the note to help familiarize my ear with being in key, breathing exercises, singing from the chest etc... but I haven't noticed any improvement. It's very frustrating, I'm somewhat of an analytical person.... if I can't play fast enough, I do speed exercises... not being able to take control of this is very frustrating and I'm considering just giving up on singing all together.

Everyone claims that even the worst singers can improve (except the tone deaf) but in my case this doesn't seem to hold true.

Macank
11-17-2005, 12:17 AM
so singing without music and intruments and going off key is normal?

SingingSabre
11-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Kroach: the voice reaches full maturity at a different time for everyone. Most people is between 18-20.

Jandy: get a vocal coach. That'll be the best thing for you.

Macank: absolutly normal. It takes time to learn how to stay in key. Chances are that you're undershooting notes as you ascend the scale, and going too low when you descend.

Jandy: again, go for a vocal coach. :)

EDIT: Kroach, what I said is just an estimation from my experience. You could probably find better information from a google search with that question. :D

fuzzybunny
11-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Hmmm... I see problems arising with the "get a vocal coach" tips ;) SO!

Auntie Fuzzybunny's Tips for Getting In With a Vocal Coach
Sounds less fun than it is.

1. Look at the teacher's training and type before signing up for lessons - if you just want to learn to sing without wheezing, don't get yourself recruited with a classical coach who'll teach you opera like a nazi.

2. Don't go to a coach and say "I want to learn how to scream/growl". This has undesirable effects on vocal teachers - many turn a bit pale and may begin to quiver and foam at the mouth.

3. Tell them what you want to be made of you. If you don't, they'll take it that you want to be classically trained and will probably rip you off. We vox coaches do enjoy conning the clueless.

4. Tell them when you think it's going in the wrong direction. I made the mistake of thinking that my first teacher knew what she was doing, and all she ended up doing was teaching me the wrong thing and wrecking my voice. If you have problems, tell them, and get them to explain what they're doing just to reassure you.

5. Make sure they're actually qualified, damnit. The best ones are usually from the Royal Academy of Music or Trinity.

6. Be prepared to splash out a bit. It'll probably be more expensive than your average guitar lesson.

7. Trust the teacher! If you know they're qualified and they ask you to do something daft like walk around the room with your hands on your head singing arpeggios, chances are that there's method to their madness... Though if they tell you to stand facing the corner and sing "LarryLarryLarryLarry" to scales with your hands on your arse, don't do it. Oldest trick in the singing teacher's book. Hey, we all get bored sometimes.

...And do have fun ;)

SingingSabre
11-17-2005, 01:17 PM
^
8. Find some of their previous students and/or people they've worked with. Getting references that the teacher is good can not only help you find a great teacher and trust them more, but also gives you more confidence to further trust them.

~Rock~Guitarist
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi, i recently considered the spot as vocalist for my band, since we cannot find one. I decided i would record myself singing over the backing tracks we have to see how i sounded. Well, i absolutely hated the natural sound that my voice has and i decided to just keep looking. Recently however i have found i really want to sing, and i was wondering if it is at all possible to train your singing voice to sound like something else. For instance, i want my voice to sound a lot like dave mustaine's voice on the rust in piece recordings, particularly "Hangar 18" and "Holy Wars," if anybody has heard those. Is this possible? Am i asking too much?

Thanks.

Kruptos
11-17-2005, 11:41 PM
whenever i sing, i always sound so whiny...i have no problems with actually singing and stuff, its just my voice is just really whiny...can i change this? and if i can how?

Macank
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
well im still 14 years of age, maybe its because my voice is still changing to be more mature or something like that?

SingingSabre
11-18-2005, 04:26 PM
~Rock~: read page 1 of this forum and start practicing.

Kruptos: raise your soft palate and make sure you're not singing through your nose.

Macank: your age may have something to do with it, but it's more likely just a training issue.

Macank
11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
well my voice keeps cracking at school and everything i think thats it, even when i sing, sometimes it cracks so its sucks lol, do you think if i was like 16 or something my voice will mature by then? oh and practicing, of course i practice alot, i sing along to everything i listen to, and when i play guitar i sing about anything

SingingSabre
11-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Macank: problems with staying in key are due to training (ear and voice training). Problems with tone at your age are usually due puberty and training.

Two seperate things, there. :)

Macank
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
alrighty i see, thanks, oh should i do your excercises on the first page to get better?

SingingSabre
11-19-2005, 09:09 PM
^ Couldn't hurt...unless you oversing 'em!

Kruptos
11-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Kruptos: raise your soft palate and make sure you're not singing through your nose.

im not singing through my nose...i've read many articles and stuff and i know how to sing...its just i have a stupid sounding voice and i kinda want to change it

Jevin
11-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Okay so here's a recording of me singing.. Well basically am no singer, just a guitarist.. But i often have to sing while i play guitar.. That too, in public.. lol

So more on the recording.. The song is "something to talk about by badly drawn boy".. Also i have a cold and that made my voice even more horrible.. And sorry the recording is of bad quality..

I just want feedback about the recording.. Tell me whats wrong, tell me how to improve, tell me that i sing like sh*t, tell me whatever you think sincerely..

Here it is:
jevin.dmusic.com

Kroach
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
was that a dog in the background ^^? Your singing wasn't very loud, at least on the recording. Of what I could hear I think your voice went well with the song, I haven't listened to the original, but it seems that in some parts you were a bit off tune. But it sounds nice, maybe you did it on purpose.
Saw it's in the about a boy soundtrack, nice movie ^^

Kroach
11-20-2005, 03:12 PM
~Rock~Guitarist

Considering you're about 15, I haven't heard you sing before, but I think you can at least make your voice suit the songs. However you can't hope to get the full junkie wasted voice without loads of work =P

noside
11-20-2005, 06:11 PM
im not singing through my nose...i've read many articles and stuff and i know how to sing...its just i have a stupid sounding voice and i kinda want to change it

well, maybe you're not raising your soft palate then... you might also not be resonating in the back of your voice well... remember, you need a balance of both of them... (and that doesn't mean singing in your throat...)

Jevin
11-21-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks.. Yeah it was a dog.. lol The mic was a closer to the guitar than to my mouth.. I'll try to make a much much better recording next time.. And Kroach can you tell me where i was off tune?? Someone please give me some easy songs to sing.. Btw i'm 19..

Revhain
11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
About singing and playing the (rythem) guitar. I'm having trouble doing both right at the same time >_<

Are there any tricks or techniques I should try? or am I looking at the ol' *practice practice practice* deal?

noside
11-21-2005, 10:31 PM
practice practice... "whenever you're not practicing, someone else is and they're getting better than you"

fuzzybunny
11-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Try reeeeeeally easy songs first (I'm SO sure I've said this before) like Green Day tracks and the like... Things with simple strumming.

Alternatively, try making up your own little songs with silly lyrics that you can sing along to whatever strumming pattern you choose to work with. Keep practicing and repeating til you get used to them, and eventually it'll get more natural.

Don't frustrate yourself too much ;)

Revhain
11-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Easy songs and lots of practice, got it :) thank you for your time

Tortex power
11-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Learn what lyrics go when a certain chord plays, what the lyrics are when the chord changes, what chords are played in lyric gaps...etc...try MoP i leanred from that... its not too hard to sing with it except for me the hard part was the " Come crawling faster..." part.Good Luck.

lukieh
11-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Look guys I haven't read the entire thread on this (so I apologise if I repeat anyone) but here are a couple of tips I picked up while in singing lessons:

Don't take cough lollies, honey, whatever, anything like that, before you sing.

Even if you have a sore throat. In the end you get tend to force your voice because it feels alright (coz of the cough stuff). Then you end up f***ing up your voice even more. Trust me, you don't want to do it.

Warm up

This is a very important part. Even five minutes of scales or something can be very helpful.

Don't force your voice

You know you're forcing if you force air through you vocal cords. Breathe in, from the diaphragm (I know everybody has said this). Don't let your shoulders rise. Then you're breathing wrong. Feel like your feet are tree roots going into the ground; keep your shoulders back and your head up high. Keep your head up and look at something in the distance (this helps you project).

The funny thing I found out was that the best screamers are often classically trained vocalists... that's how they don't destroy their vocal cords.

RobbieMac2002
11-24-2005, 08:51 PM
hey guys... im in a band... i sing and play, ive never had lessons but i do alright after a few years of practising by myself...

i like the sound of my voice (well, ive got used to it and i can make it work in a way that sounds alright in our songs)... i just think my main weakness is that i dont hit every note as strong as i should... my singing is ok... but the band is starting to look like it might go places and i know my singing isnt good enough to match that. Eventually ill need a vocal coach i know, but for now im a poor student who cant afford one considering we need guitar equipment too... so im just looking for which exercises are the right ones for me...

http://www.myspace.com/crimsonroadmap

'firefly' is a song that gives a good example of where my voice falls short... on the other song im a lot more shouty therefore i can let myself project... but in Firefly i sing the first half of the song a lot more mellower... and thus i want to know how i can make the vocals sound strong without over-exerting myself while singing...

thanks

SingingSabre
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Robbie: Your page doesn't have your music on it, nor can I find a link, so what I tell you might not be the issue. However, with the problem you described, I would suggest you work on your falsetto and use that for the high notes. :)

Hockeyking_86
11-24-2005, 10:56 PM
i've been thinking of getting into vocals lately. i'm pretty good at guitar but i'm not sure if i wanna get into vocals or drums... cuz there are alot of guitarist that could replace me for a band, and alot of drummers into heavy metal in my town, but not alot of vocalist that can do a good job at it and i've always had a little interest in it. does anyone know of any place i can get tips on how to learn how to practice vocals that would help me get better at hardcore vocals. i can pick up the basics about vocals all over on the net but its hard to find a site that gives you advice on how to get deeper and how to get the screams and stuff to come out right and make u feel comfortable at it. i'm into screaming from bands such as Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Atreyu, and bands such as those. its not the notes and all of that that i need help with, its learning to do it without f*cking my vocal cords up. thanks for any help.