30 scales for the Guitar

PDA

View Full Version : 30 scales for the Guitar

sillybuuger12
09-22-2005, 02:46 PM
hey guys i thought a few scales would come in handy for you lot. Please note these are not set out in TABS but in scale patterns instead, their similar to chord boxes and they mean you can see more of them in one go

SCALE 1: The Minor Pentatonic
let's face it the first one was going to be this wasn't it? this scale is used in practicaly every form of music from folk to death-grind-raping virgins heavy metal. it's also known as the guitarists friend and is probably the most important scale you will ever learn.

The Pentatonic scale is a 5 note scale (from the Greek Penta meaning five) and is constructed using the following interval structure 1, b3, 4, 5, and b7, (b refers to a flat note) translated into Notes this means A, C, D, E, and G. Just as the Name Suggests, this scal works over a Minor chord.

Here are the scale shapes.

----------------

SCALE 2: The Blues scale
The next set of scales are the Blues Scales. Thesew like the Pentatonic are used Practicaly every where, and you'll probably recognise the sound the minute you hear it.

The best hing of all about this scale is that now you've learned the Pentatonic Shape you only need to add in one note to play this! that is because strictly speaking this is a Hexatonic, six note scale (once again from the Greek for six)

The intervals that make up this scale are 1, b3, 4, b5, 5 and b7. In notes this is A, C, D, bE, E and G. The forth interval is the one that has been added and is often refered to as the "blue" note, also the distance (interval) between the A and bE is called a tri tone because it is 3 notes (or tones) away from the A also known as the "root" note of the scale.

on an interesting note (no pun intended) this scale is also known as the "devil's scale" and playing it in the middle ages was a hanging offeccne it also used to be banned from church music. At least now we know why Hymns are so dull now don't we? It could also be the reason that Black Sabbath virtually made a carrear out of this scale!

SCALE 3: The Aeolian Scale(The Natural Minor Scale)

This scale contains seven notes. (Aeolian is probably also Green for seven but as i don't speak Greek i have no idea). Five of the Notes in here are exactly the same as the Pentatonic. Sadly however none of the Blues notes are present.

The Extra Notes in question are the 2 and the 6b. their often used to coulor a guitar line to give a bit more feeling like in Led Zepp's "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Stair way to Heaven". aM g and F is a good example of an Aeolian chord sequence. The Intervals for this Scale are 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, and 7. In notes (once again taking A as the starting point) this ends up as A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.

The Major Pentatonic

Yep another bunch of penatonics. they even use the same scale shapes, thing is your probably wondering why these are here now arn't you, well these are in a Major Key. This means that generally (there are some exceptions) these are used in slightly "happier" music unlike minor which is "sadder". on a side note this scale is quite popular with country players and also the like of Brian May and Clapton.

the Intervals however are slightly different they are: 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, in notes this is A, B, C#, E and F#.

sorry i know this is incompleate guys but i'm off to uni the day after tomorrow and havn't the time right now. also i have no idea how to put those scale boxes together but i'll suss somthing out!

PS rankles i'm only 37 points behind you you better watch out ;)

SilentDeftone
09-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Err? not even gonna read it until you've finished it lol.

-SD :dance:

sillybuuger12
09-22-2005, 04:17 PM
sorry it's just i can't save it on this computer either because it's not coming to Uni with me! other wise i would save it and post once i'm done

SilentDeftone
09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Email the text file to yourself? :p:

Actually it's no problem, it's not like this forum has a large amount of traffic.

-SD :dance:

sillybuuger12
09-22-2005, 06:40 PM
well you say that but we had 19 people in her at once earlier today :eek: lol

i'll do another bit now btw

Rankles
09-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Sorry, but again I think that the only people who will understand the terminology here (ie, using 1, b3, 4, 5, 7 etc) are people who will already know all this. The people who tend to need to learn these beginner scales are those who are just starting with theory, as these are the ones you learn first.

However, I guess we'll see what the rest of the article says :p:

sillybuuger12
09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
i'm going to put in a load of scale shapes but i can't do it on my lap top because ther are not the same number of buttons i'll put them in on the computers at Uni