Make your Strat vintage!

PDA

View Full Version : Make your Strat vintage!

Bassilo
09-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Heya guys. Here's an easy guide about how one dude turned his strat into something special.

http://www.guitars.ru/06/info.php?z899

It's russian, but you'll know what to do :p: Click on the link on the top of the page to see part I, and on the bottom to proceed to later issues. THere are 10 in total.

ANd i wanna note, that after doing such a procedure, some of the best guitarists confused this Squier strat for a Vintage 60's Fender in terms of sound and "warmth" =) Take a look, don't mind the language, pics speak for themselves. I tried to cross-post them here, but with "
brand new forum design" it turned out to be a pain in the ass.

gothikchile13
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
That's like cheating. I'd rather it just happened naturally. Back when I used to skateboard, kids used to take screwdrivers to their boards to make them look all messed up. How fake.

seljer
09-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Ha, thats pretty cool. I wouldn't really do it to anything other than a Squier.

My favourite part would be the "burn it as part of a Hendrix memorial" :D

mikeh
09-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Hah, That's simply fantastic :haha

DarkHorse85
09-26-2005, 10:08 AM
dude, even vintage guitars dont look that ****ed up.

WHY DONT PEOPLE GET IT?!

thats not making your guitar look vintage....its just making it look fucked up.

which is fine. ****ed up is a look all its own, but man. nothing says vintage to me except for a 30 year old guitar.
and i hate that pre-ripped jeans are sold in stores.

Neon Knight
09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
dude, even vintage guitars dont look that ****ed up.

WHY DONT PEOPLE GET IT?!

thats not making your guitar look vintage....its just making it look fucked up.

which is fine. ****ed up is a look all its own, but man. nothing says vintage to me except for a 30 year old guitar.
and i hate that pre-ripped jeans are sold in stores.

When they mean vintage they propbaly mean relic.

personaly i think fair wear and tear looks awesome, esp on strats

givemeaname
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
ha,he set his guitar on fire,i wonder it i could do that,with the flame thrower im getting instaled on my strat :rolleyes: :D

Bassilo
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Actually, it's an ironic article. I kinda disagree with the raping of the instrument... But, nonetheless, the dude (Linxy) is a pro-guitarist, so he wanted to prove one aspect:

If you take a brand new Chinese Squier, fudge it up, and give it to the pros - would they tell the difference? THe pros' thought it was a 60's Strat, only they said that the neck didn't feel like one from those days.

I love his comments, like when he put it in a firewood pile: http://www.guitars.ru/06/img/l5.jpg
"Having to find common language among the destructivity of it's bretheren" =)

or this:
http://www.guitars.ru/06/img/l16.jpg
"aspen will suck all of the negativity and destructivity from the individual"

and this:
http://www.guitars.ru/06/img/l17.jpg
"birch will fill the individual with stable flow of positive energy"

lol

http://www.guitars.ru/06/img/l9.jpg
"bathing in life-giving waters as a tribute to dedication into life"

mnbaseball91
09-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I fail to see how this does anything but make it look beat up and neglected. It's still a squire.

acdc101
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I think that guitar looks kind of unnatural, it looks like it was done intentionally.

Bassilo
09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
mnbaseball91 when you play it, given you have enough exp., you'll say otherwise =) Like my confusing a cheap-ass Fender Jazz bass copy made by "Phil", which was perfectly tuned, vintaged kinda like that, had Fender Vintage P/u's...

mnbaseball91
09-26-2005, 10:58 AM
So you're telling me that beating it up makes it sound warm like a 60s Fender? Explain to me how that works, I must be missing something...

seljer
09-26-2005, 11:05 AM
My guess its one of the Mojo things where you only think it sounds better.

Though seriously, all Fenders look cooler when there battered up

Bassilo
09-26-2005, 12:51 PM
/\ exactly. That's what the pro's noted about the instrument (i take it you understand Russian :) ) - it had "soul" now, or, mojo. Basically, they described it as having an instrument with a soul... Maybe tying it to birch trees and sacrificing it to Jimmi Hendrix did have some wierd supernatural effect on it? But whena pro with 20 yrs+ of experience behind his belt who played many an instrument, fine and crappy, tells us that a SQUIER sounds JUST LIKE A TRUE 60's FENDER, it *does* make you think...

Imma sacrifice my bass to Jaco.

mnbaseball91
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
^You're so full of ****. :p:

seljer
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
/\ exactly. That's what the pro's noted about the instrument (i take it you understand Russian :) )

ha, I wish I could :( Actually, speaking a a slavic language allready makes you prettymuch understand any of the other ones. I'm only behind the barrier of not knowing the cyrillic alphabet

XMetallica73X
09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
haha it probably still sounds like ****

That_Pink_Queen
09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Ive got one of those squiers, actually sounds alright with new pickups. A 3 peice alder body isnt bad at all really.

Bassilo
09-27-2005, 05:10 AM
haha it probably still sounds like ****

this kind of attitude provoked the author of this article :p:

1. Take a Squier
2. remove the logo
3. put some great pu's in it
Presto.

But if you make it a "relic", it's gona confuse people even more succesfully. But it does sound good.

xifr
09-27-2005, 05:36 AM
3. put some great pu's in it

There ya go.

That_Pink_Queen
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
A squier with good pickups and new electronics sounds fine dude. I have one. The pickups cost just as much as the guitar lol.

Thedarkwolf
09-27-2005, 11:52 AM
^^ unless its plywood :(

That_Pink_Queen
09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
True. Bullets suck. Affinity series on up are fine though.

~Rock~Guitarist
09-27-2005, 05:22 PM
that guide is alright. i was liking the look of the relic until they did the whole hammer-nail thing to the side of it. doesn't look natural, and even if it was natural, how could that happen in the first place?

yeah, i like relic strats but im not too fond of that one.