What's String Bending?

PDA

View Full Version : What's String Bending?

Zamboni
09-26-2005, 05:11 PM
(For Beginners Lessons)

String Bending History and Gauges:

String bending was originally developed by blues and country players to mimic the sound of bottleneck guitars, or much later, pedal steel string guitars.

Bending has now become one of the most widely used effect in most guitar styles, as it can provide greater texture to your sound, as well as added emotional dimention.

The principal factor which governs the degree in which you can bend a string is its thickness, or GAUGE. String widths (gauges) are generally expressed as decimal fractions of an inch and can be found on any package of strings you buy.

Weighing up the pros and cons of each type of thickickness or style of string is really a matter of personal taste.

You must take into account that while thin, light gauge strings are more pliable and easier on your fretting fingers, they are more likely to break with continued use, create a shoter sustain, have a lower volume, and the degree in which they can stretch makes them more troublesome to keep in tune than that of higher gauge strings.

Some players maintain that higher thickness strings simply sound better than thin ones.

If your guitar uses light gauge strings- where the first string is no more than .10 inches thick- you should be able to alter the pitch of a note by at least a tone. Allthough this can also be achieved with steel string acoustic guitars under the most favorable circumstances, it is almost impossible to reach a semi tone on classical or flamenco gutiars, or with evem with thicker electric strings.

With their degree of pliability, the treble strings are most often used for bending, which causes them to break most frequently. So it's wise to keep a supply a spares in your case.

Bending The Strings:

This is one of the most basic and widely used techniques of the modern guitarist today. It is usually achieved by playing a string, then bending the string up or down to create a pitch change.

It can also be produced mechanically with a tremolo arm.

String Bending Exercise:

-Play the 14th fret of the third (G) string. Now, remember that sound, because it will come in handy when attempting to bend up a tone.

- Place your 3nd finger on the 12th fret of the 3rd string.

e.g.

E[------------------------------------
B[-----------------------------------
G[------12----------------------------(G)
D[-----------------------------------
A[-----------------------------------
E[-----------------------------------

- Pick this note. You are playing an G.

-While the note is sustaining, push the string upwards (towards the roof) untill the pitch increases by what you assume is relatively close to a tone (remembering the 14th fret we played earlier.)

-You should now be hearing the note A.

At first it may be difficult to stop or get to the correct pitch, but this will come with practice. In fact, some styles of playing dont even need pitch-perfect bending. A slightly flat note in blues playing can be a very nice effect.

Take care, however, not to bend the string to much (called "Over Bending") unless it is called for, because this will make the note sound sharp and not as good.

As an alternative, it is also possible to pull the strings downward, rather than push them upwards. This is generally used when bending the bass strings, because, if the low E string is bent up wards and/or the high E string is bent downwards, it is likely that the string will slip off the fingerboard of your guitar, producing a very unpleasant sound, and killing the note.

This should'nt be too much of a problem considering that most players find it easier to push the treble strings upwards and pull the bass strings downwards anyway.

Well, i hope this can help with some string-bending questions.

Zamboni
09-26-2005, 08:46 PM
... Comments are greatly accepted...

SilentDeftone
09-26-2005, 09:13 PM
:no: No bumping, I'll look at it in a bit.

-SD :dance:

WhiteCloud2345
09-26-2005, 09:18 PM
I cant Read that much Sorry

SilentDeftone
09-26-2005, 09:27 PM
^ Then don't post just to comment without helping in the least.

Freepower
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
First of all, specify HOW you bend. Yes, you do just bend it towards the ceiling, but to get a good bend you need to do a few things...NOT use the extensor muscles of the fingers - as these are weak and innaccurate. (this is why a lot of people bend everything "down" because its the natural way your hands work...) Its very important that you mention to use the muscles of your forearm like you would to turn a doorknob - using your thumb as a pivot in the "baseball grip" if necessary. Mention that for big bends it REALLY REALLY helps to use as many fingers to support the bend as possible. 2 points there that would have helped me a ****load and i now hope will help someone else.

And mention that you can stick a vibrato on the top of your bend, as well as the fact you can bend DOWN by "prebending" - after some practice with "bending", obviously.

I have plenty of other things to do with bending, but i dont think they apply to this lesson so i wont mention. Anything i can clear up, ask away.

dave musselman
09-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I take issue with the downward bend. It works better to upward bend.I dont think I have ever bent a guitar string downward ,except the low E , A and D for the "cowboy lick"

Dont take my word 4 it, look at guitar players play.

Freepower
09-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I take issue with the downward bend. It works better to upward bend.I dont think I have ever bent a guitar string downward ,except the low E , A and D for the "cowboy lick"

Dont take my word 4 it, look at guitar players play.

So, guitar players dont bend down unless, of course, they're playing on the strings that we've reccommended you bend down on?

SilentDeftone
09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
RED is grammatical error.
BLUE is a comment.

String Bending History and Gauges:
String bending was originally developed by blues and country players to mimic the sound of bottleneck guitars, or much later, pedal steel string guitars.

Bending has now become one of the most widely used techniques (not effects!) in most guitar styles, as it can provide greater texture to your sound, as well as added emotional dimension.

The principal factor which governs the degree in which you can bend a string is its thickness, or GAUGE. String widths (gauges) are generally expressed as decimal fractions of an inch and can be found on any package of strings you buy.

Weighing up the pros and cons of each type of thickness or style of string is really a matter of personal taste.

You must take into account that while thin, light gauge strings are more pliable and easier on your fretting fingers, they are more likely to break with continued use, create a shorter sustain, have a lower volume, and the degree in which they can stretch makes them more troublesome to keep in tune than that of higher gauge strings.

Some players maintain that higher thickness strings simply sound better than thin ones. No pros/cons of bigger gauges other than that?

If your guitar uses light gauge strings- where the high E string is no more than .10 I believe it's supposed to be 0.010, isn't it? inches thick- you should be able to alter the pitch of a note by at least a tone. Although this can also be achieved with steel string acoustic guitars under the most favorable circumstances, it is almost impossible to reach a semi tone on classical or flamenco gutiars, or even with thicker electric strings.

With their degree of pliability, the treble strings are most often used for bending, which causes them to break most frequently. It's wise to keep a supply a spares in your case.

Bending The Strings:
This is one of the most basic and widely used techniques of the modern guitarist today. It is usually achieved by playing a string, then bending the string up or down to create a pitch change. Needs more defining here - what EXACTLY is a bend? Perhaps a picture is needed?

It can also be produced mechanically with a tremolo arm.

String Bending Exercise:
- Play the 14th fret of the third (G) string. Now, remember that sound, because it will come in handy when attempting to bend up a tone.

- Place your 3rd (ring) finger on the 12th fret of the 3rd string.

e.g.

E[---------
B[---------
G[---12---- (G)
D[---------
A[---------
E[---------
Why such a big tab for one note? I shortened it for you.

- Pick this note. You are playing a G.

-While the note is sustaining (ringing?), push the string upwards (towards the roof) until the pitch increases by what you assume is relatively close to a tone (remembering the 14th fret we played earlier).

-You should now be hearing the note A.

At first it may be difficult to stop or get to the correct pitch, but this will come with practice. In fact, some styles of playing don't even need pitch-perfect bending. A slightly flat note in blues playing can be a very nice effect.

Take care, however, not to bend the string to much (called "Over Bending") unless it is called for, because this will make the note sound sharp and not as good. "and not as good" sounds awkward to me in that sentence.

As an alternative, it is also possible to pull the strings downward, rather than push them upwards. This is generally used when bending the bass strings, because, if the low E string is bent upwards or the high E string is bent downwards, it is likely that the string will slip off the fingerboard of your guitar, producing a very unpleasant sound, and killing the note.

This shouldn't be too much of a problem considering that most players find it easier to push the treble strings upwards and pull the bass strings downwards anyway. Maybe mention E B G go up and D A E go down?

Well, I hope this can help with some string-bending questions.

dave musselman
09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
So, guitar players dont bend down unless, of course, they're playing on the strings that we've reccommended you bend down on?

Yes ,guitar players dont bend down.

Zamboni
09-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes ,guitar players dont bend down.
Yes they do.

dave musselman
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes they do.

Some people who own guitars do bend down. Guitar players in general dont bend down.

SilentDeftone
09-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Bending in either direction is acceptable, as long as you achieve the desired sound what difference does it make?

GibsonIdiot77
10-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Alot of guitarists bend down. It's the same thing as bending up...

SilentDeftone
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
^ Erm, watch your terminology. Bending down would be like --(4)r2--.

dave musselman
10-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Alot of guitarists bend down. It's the same thing as bending up...

ya, except yer bending down

and you cant do stuff you can do bending up when you bend down

Jearl
10-04-2005, 09:54 AM
i bend down on every string. bending up feels weird

dave musselman
10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
i bend down on every string. bending up feels weird
if it feels weird,do it

you dont bend down on every string,I know you dont

Freepower
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
^ i used to, its possible, he just doesnt when he gets to the high E.

You should be able to bend both ways. Pretty obvious.

Zamboni
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
ya, except yer bending down

and you cant do stuff you can do bending up when you bend down
Oh my god, are you the goddamn string bending police? Yes, you can bend down, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Now go delete your account.

dave musselman
10-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Oh my god, are you the goddamn string bending police? Yes, you can bend down, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Now go delete your account.

There are lots of things wrong with it. Dont expect me to list them ,and give you a lesson. If you cant understand ,there is no sense in telling you anyway.

Zamboni
10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
There are lots of things wrong with it. Dont expect me to list them ,and give you a lesson. If you cant understand ,there is no sense in telling you anyway.
Oh please, do tell, "God Of String Bending."

SilentDeftone
10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
:haha :haha :haha

If you can't explain it, then your credibility is ZERO. In fact, perhaps we can have a Retard Box for this forum just to put you in!

Zamboni
10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
^Haha, well said. :haha

dave musselman
10-04-2005, 09:31 PM
:haha :haha :haha

If you can't explain it, then your credibility is ZERO. In fact, perhaps we can have a Retard Box for this forum just to put you in!

I do not care what you think of me. I am just telling you so you know you dont bend the strings down if you wanna play good. If you wanna take it personal ,thats your problem,not mine.

SilentDeftone
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
:rolleyes: I don't believe a word you say. And I'm tired of this "argument". We have differing opinions, we've both expressed them, end of story.

Zamboni
10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
I do not care what you think of me. I am just telling you so you know you dont bend the strings down if you wanna play good. If you wanna take it personal ,thats your problem,not mine.
Unfortunately Josh, I'm not tired of this argument, and I want this schmuck to prove his point.

OK, back to you musselman, tell me how bending a bass string down is not playing good. Do you want me to bend my low E string up? Would that make me a better player than if I bent it down? Pushing my string over my neck and possibly breaking it? Or maybe I shouldn't bend the bass strings at all, maybe that's "bad technique? Teach me God of the Bend.

Give me one reason why I shouldn't think you a complete mental-case, oh God of String Bending.

Dyuha
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Has been posted.

SilentDeftone
10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Has been posted.
Okay, but:

Dyuha
10-06-2005, 10:57 AM
And what should I do?

SilentDeftone
10-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Probably keep it, I just wasn't aware that he would submit it already without the *approved*.

Rankles
10-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Guys, this entire page is spam. Yeah, the guy was a blatant idiot but there's no need to bite and carry it on.

^ Yeah, what happened to that lol... Unless Dyuha did it straight up.