Minor 6 string sweeps

PDA

View Full Version : Minor 6 string sweeps

mesaandrew
09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I am really having trouble with minor 6 string sweeps, since it is a bar form, there are alot of sloppy and unclean notes in them. how do you make these clean? or are there other minor sweeps with no bars?

`NeXxuS`
09-27-2005, 12:02 AM
when doing a sweep you do not EVER want to bar your finger...

players might roll they're fingers which is ok...

you must practise this technique slowly and rhythmically... thats all it boils down to, going slow and getting it perfect before moving on to speed.

Freepower
09-27-2005, 04:55 AM
^ yup, just adding my weight to that. Rolling is one of the hardest part of sweeps, but you need to learn it sometime - and you'll eventually need to be able to do it on all fingers.

Neon Knight
09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
WTF is rolling

im trying to get into sweeps aswell, so fat i can only do slow 3 string malmsteen esq diminished sweeps

`NeXxuS`
09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
ya bar your finger, but when you strike the notes, you let you finger off of one string a little bit to mute it.

Freepower
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
When you use a single finger in a rolling motion to play more than one string sweeping -

-------12-
----12----
-12-------

To sweep that, you put your index finger across the 12th fret, and "roll" it sorta like a barre chord, but the roll makes sure only a single string at a time rings. :)

ILoveHarmonics
11-23-2005, 06:09 AM
I have an additional question about rolling over 3 or more strings. Because of the often executed additional pull-off in a lot of sweeps I tend to roll with my index finger most of the time. My fingers are not that long and I have a lot of trouble executing three string rolls. After practising them for some time they are still a bit sloppy (I'm playing them slow) and my index finger feels really bad so I'm probably applying to much force. Maybe someone recognizes this problem and find a solution. My main question is: Am I doing it the wrong way or will the pain get less after my finger gets more used to it?

Freepower
11-23-2005, 06:31 AM
^ you're definately doing something wrong - probably applying too much pressure if you've already spotted it and you have those symptoms.

Thats also probably the reason it's sloppy, you need only enough force in the right place to fret ONE string at a time, not enough force to fret all three but directed at a certain point, if you get what i mean. Remember to roll on your other fingers too, all of them CAN roll (just about) and it opens up a lot of interesting shapes if you can roll with fingers other than just your index. But seriously, less force, more accuracy. What shape are you doing exactly? E-shape? Em shape? You want to roll from the tip of the finger down, not from the middle, if you know what i mean.

You fret the note on the 6th string, then SHIFT your finger down for the last three notes - dont try and roll the whole thing, in case you are. And you want to perhaps try a different angle of holding your finger if you're used to holding it more "sideways" for barre chords.

Any of those tips work at all?

ILoveHarmonics
11-23-2005, 07:08 AM
I don't know yet but thanks in advance. I just did the dishes so I have to wait a moment before I can take the guitar again.
--10-7-----7-------
--------7--7--------
----------7----------

This is the pattern I mean. It gets harder higher on the neck and when I shift the pattern to the D, G and B strings I hardly have a clue how to do it. On this moment I use a lot of wrist movement to acomlish the pressure on the last note but that only works when the last note is on the high E string.

ShredtoBed
11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
heres good practice for rolling:

Emaj

-------------12--
-----------13----
---------14------
------14---------
----12-----------

sixteen times
11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Here. This is how I learned to sweep. (http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html)

Great article.

:cheers:

ILoveHarmonics
11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I should have mentioned I have no trouble with 2 string rolls and I can fluently sweep some 5 string arpeggio shapes involving them (not that fast yet though but practising sweeps becomes less frustrating when things go fluently :)). I made some small progress with three strings by moving my finger a bit in a vertical sliding way aswell. I'm not sure if that is correct so I'm not practising that to much yet. I still don't have a clue about three string rolls which are not on the three highes strings. It was a nice article by the way and I recall reading it before. That guy also made a legato lesson I liked.