How to get Pumpkins sound? (what effects to use etc.)

PDA

View Full Version : How to get Pumpkins sound? (what effects to use etc.)

Stiddy
09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I am just amazed by the guitar sounds on the Siamese Dream cd by the Smashing pumpkins and I would like to know what types of effects they used and the names of the specified pedals if anyone knows.
Thanks,
Jeff

ibanez4life SZ!
09-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Settings thread. Search the site before you make a new thread. You'll either find your answer there or just ask in there.

WrathofKahn
09-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, I've always tried to get their distortion and have always failed.

The distortion seems to come from the guitar (Fender Jazzmaster), which when combined with a distortion pedal, creates that SUPER fuzzy sound.

waveofmutilaton
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Settings thread. Search the site before you make a new thread. You'll either find your answer there or just ask in there.

people with CREED avatars are not allowed to tell other UG members what to do.

ESPECIALLY when there asking about good music.

stringmagician
09-27-2005, 09:54 PM
they use a Jazzmaster!?!?!? i got an old one of those i never use cause its my dads, im so using that now

WrathofKahn
09-27-2005, 10:03 PM
they use a Jazzmaster!?!?!? i got an old one of those i never use cause its my dads, im so using that now

Yeah...among other guitars. I'm pretty sure Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness were recorded with Jazzmasters.

The Jazz pickups don't handle lots of distortion well, so they come through you're amp fuzzy. It's a really cool sound... Think of Zero or Quiet.

Anachronism
09-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, I've always tried to get their distortion and have always failed.

The distortion seems to come from the guitar (Fender Jazzmaster), which when combined with a distortion pedal, creates that SUPER fuzzy sound.

I'm sure Corgan used his strat for most of the pumpkins material. The fuzzy rhythm sound comes from a strat's neck single coil (blue lace sensor, silver and red in middle and bridge) into a fuzz pedal (traditionally Big Muff, then Creamy Dreamer, but he had a Fender Blender and a Maestro Fuzz Tone) into the low output of a JCM 800 2203 set to just overdrive a little. The JCM was modded for KT 88 power tubes too, so he had acres of headroom. Plus the huge amount of overdubs he used on all the albums go a long way to getting the tone. He started using a ridiculous amount of gear later on, lots of rack pre-amps and different heads/cabs. I can't find anything that says he actually used a Jazzmaster at all, on any of the tours or albums.

If you haven't got a budget the size of the Pumpkins, go with single coil ---> big muff ---> overdriven tube amp. Lots of bass, don't cut the mids, keep the treble around half.

WrathofKahn
09-27-2005, 10:45 PM
^ Really?? Weird, I cant remember where I found it. I think it was some website that talked about Jazzmasters. It mentioned names like Sonic Youth and the Pumpkins (they have similar distortions).

But yeah, A fuzz pedal would go a looong way to help you get a Pumpkins sound.

Anachronism
09-27-2005, 11:22 PM
He used reverends and fernandez at one point, they look quite Jazz like, but I couldn't find it on my 'massive list of Corgan's over indulgent equipment'. ;).

WrathofKahn
09-27-2005, 11:29 PM
He used reverends and fernandez at one point, they look quite Jazz like, but I couldn't find it on my 'massive list of Corgan's over indulgent equipment'. ;).

:o Well, this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...so :cheers:

controlfreak
09-28-2005, 03:16 AM
best thing for you to do is go out and look at the siamese dream tab book. my version has this really really cool intoduction with billy that basically details all the track specific techniques and ALL of the gear and methods they used to record. i don't have it to hand but i do remember a bit about him getting the 'pumpkin' distortion from the marshall as stated above. he did use a big muff and a mutron biphase aswell.
check out that tab book, it will answer all!

Anachronism
09-28-2005, 04:04 AM
:o Well, this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...so :cheers:

I may have come across as a bit "you're wrong, shut up" there, it wasn't intentional. I'm just a real geek about this kind of thing. I've got a .pdf file of all his gear if anyone wants it.

controlfreak
09-28-2005, 05:32 AM
yeah man, could you send that this way? cool, cheers!

Neon Knight
09-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Big Muff

seljer
09-28-2005, 08:24 AM
yeah, I'm just going to have to reinforce the Big Muff comment. If you want the Smashing Pumpkins distortion its the way to go.