Underrated guitarists

PDA

View Full Version : Underrated guitarists

Pages : [1] 2

fridzeppelin
09-29-2005, 04:53 PM
In your opinion, who is the most underrated guitarist?

My choice would be Alex Lifeson from Rush, When I ask people if they like Rush they always mention Geddy Lee and Neil Peart but always forget to mention Alex Lifeson. He deserves as much credit to Rush's music as they do.

BrainDamage
09-29-2005, 04:54 PM
come on man, theres a thread titled "underrated guitarist" on the same page... :rolleyes:

jimmyjimjim
09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
robby krieger (doors)

TestForEcho
09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
BrainDamage is right, but since you said Alex you rock. Alex pwns. :cool:

daft
09-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I know I talk about him in every one of my CR posts but

Rory Gallagher - the man rules

Slash-Perry
09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Joe Perry-Aerosmith,best guitarist in the world in my opinion along with slash

Encore_God
09-29-2005, 05:00 PM
In Classic Rock? Jeez, where do I start?

- George Harrison (great songwriter, but damn, he could sure play)

- Paul Kossoff (so good that Cream era Eric Clapton asked him about how he played guitar...)

- Brian Jones (beautiful slide, superbly tasteful guitar, and learned the sitar in 30 MINUTES. Could Jimmy fucking Page pull that off? No way...)

- Gary Moore (both an insanely fast and tasteful player: rare in itself. Also capable of the most beautiful and delicate guitar work, soaring, climactic instrumentals and insanely complex and powerful riffs)

- Eric Sykes (can play so well, he'll make you fill the cup and cry simultaneously)

- Fast Eddie Clarke (this guy INVENTED thrash metal for crying out loud!)

AllPlayDead666
09-29-2005, 05:00 PM

My choice would be Alex Lifeson from Rush, When I ask people if they like Rush they always mention Geddy Lee and Neil Peart but always forget to mention Alex Lifeson. He deserves as much credit to Rush's music as they do.

I must agree!

fingerpkngood
09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
dave gilmour, the guitarist of the greatest band in existence

Yes...he is underrated. Probably because he doesn't play a million notes per second. He is my favorite.

Also, I would not say the following guitarist is THE MOST UNDERRATED, but underrated nonetheless: Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac.

fridzeppelin
09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
come on man, theres a thread titled "underrated guitarist" on the same page... :rolleyes:
My bad, I didn't see that, but I was just discussing this topic with a friend and I wanted to see what other people think.

malakian_rocks
09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
me :P:

sg10guitar
09-29-2005, 05:07 PM
um michael amott from new heavy metal no ones heard of him when i ask people and he can shred amazingly listen to any arch enemy cd

3l3phant
09-29-2005, 05:14 PM
George Harrison

Best...Beatle...EVER! I love him

SethMegadefan
09-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Taken from this site: (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/2740/rmem.html)
"Accomplishments:
Alex won Best Rock Talent in 1983 (Guitar for the Practicing Musician)
Inducted into the Guitar for the Practicing Musician Hall of Fame (May 1991)"
I was about to say Liefson wasn't underrated until I noticed what piece of crap awards those are.

Evil Kid 93
09-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Malcolm Young: Underrated as hell!

George Harrison

Best...Beatle...EVER! I love him

............Paul was better............IMO............

SethMegadefan
09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
............Paul was better............
I actually think Lennon was the best, in my opinion.

Evil Kid 93
09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I actually think Lennon was the best, in my opinion.

Yeah, I like John too, but...have you heard Paul play guitar? The guy's ****ing amazing. But my main reason for liking Paul is that he wrote such great songs. That's not to say that I don't think Lennon wrote good songs, he wrote amazing songs...but I like Paul's songs better.

psychodelia
09-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Frank Zappa is always talked about as a writer, but I think his guitar was nonetheless good. Maybe Robert Fripp too, in the same vein.

deadhead313313
09-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Zappa and Steve Miller

jimizeppelin
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Pete Townsend

jailbreak7601
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Elliot Easton, Neal Schon, Lindsey Buckingham, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, Rik Emmit, John Gatto....

rocknroll blues
09-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Pete Townsend

yea, um, there's a reason he's underrated... HE COULDN'T PLAY! It's not like he's really good and no one notices... He just really isn't that good. Now, that isn't to say that he's not awesome and writes awesome songs and makes awesome music. Clearly he does. And what he does on guitar is awesome as well. But he's not really a very good guitar player, dig? I mean, as my dear friend Bob said, "When the bass line is more complicated than the guitar solo, that says something." Then again, it is Entwistle, for Chrissakes... I dunno, I just don't think Pete's playing was that good. Impressive? Yes. Good? Not really.

JJK
09-30-2005, 09:07 AM
David Gilmour is pretty underrated. He's amazing though.

trepkos
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
malcolm young, peter green, lots of guitarist dont get mentioned a lot.

Sgt. Pepper19
09-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Mike Bloomfield

evh77
09-30-2005, 09:22 PM
YES MALCOM YOUNG

(hendrix is overrated)

Lacquer_Head
10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
yeah definately zappa... gona have to go with lifeson aswell... and a bit away from the classic rock genre, larry lalonde is amazing but when people talk about primus it's just les les les...

JimmyPage25
10-01-2005, 07:31 AM
jeff beck. and the guiatrist from jethro tull. (name slips my mind)

BrainDamage
10-01-2005, 11:00 AM
yea, um, there's a reason he's underrated... HE COULDN'T PLAY! It's not like he's really good and no one notices... He just really isn't that good. Now, that isn't to say that he's not awesome and writes awesome songs and makes awesome music. Clearly he does. And what he does on guitar is awesome as well. But he's not really a very good guitar player, dig? I mean, as my dear friend Bob said, "When the bass line is more complicated than the guitar solo, that says something." Then again, it is Entwistle, for Chrissakes... I dunno, I just don't think Pete's playing was that good. Impressive? Yes. Good? Not really. that's not true at all. You should hear some live Who stuff.

WEBSTER_1916
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Ace Frehley Of Kiss

Rory Kavanagh
10-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Scott Gorham, Jefff Beck nd John Sykes

me_and_my_esp
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
yea, um, there's a reason he's underrated... HE COULDN'T PLAY! It's not like he's really good and no one notices... He just really isn't that good. Now, that isn't to say that he's not awesome and writes awesome songs and makes awesome music. Clearly he does. And what he does on guitar is awesome as well. But he's not really a very good guitar player, dig? I mean, as my dear friend Bob said, "When the bass line is more complicated than the guitar solo, that says something." Then again, it is Entwistle, for Chrissakes... I dunno, I just don't think Pete's playing was that good. Impressive? Yes. Good? Not really.

yeah, because people like you have only heard him in the studio! you know, youve gotta wonder why The Who was known as the best pure live Rock show, its because they are a whole different band on stage! especially Pete! In order for Pete to perform at his best and at the top of his game, he NEEDS the croud to electrify him! he said it himself, he's a completely different person on stage than he is in a studio. He is in a totally different state of mind on stage. he once killed Abbie Hoffman at Woodstock when he jumped on stage and stated complaining bout the gov't.

WhiteCloud2345
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Steevie Ray Vaughn :D

phil lynott
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Scott Gorham, Jefff Beck nd John Sykes
shut up rory. your no good in bed. u dont have a say.

Da G Man
10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
morello he had such unique ideas instead of 20 notes a second shred

Encore_God
10-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Aaaand I'll continue to disagree with you.

Pete Townshend was a fundamentally important guitarist who totally altered the way people looked at the electric guitar.

His 'I'm gonna rip you a new one' style of playing basically began hard rock and punk rock guitar, his insistence on larger and larger PA's redefined the attack of the guitar player. His acoustic work within the boundaries of a rock band changed people's perspectives too.

And his rhythm work was among the best rhythm guitar you'll find in rock n' roll.

So he wasn't Hendrix... Couldn't give a toss.

Derigiberble
10-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Aaaand I'll continue to disagree with you.

Pete Townshend was a fundamentally important guitarist who totally altered the way people looked at the electric guitar.

His 'I'm gonna rip you a new one' style of playing basically began hard rock and punk rock guitar, his insistence on larger and larger PA's redefined the attack of the guitar player. His acoustic work within the boundaries of a rock band changed people's perspectives too.

And his rhythm work was among the best rhythm guitar you'll find in rock n' roll.

So he wasn't Hendrix... Couldn't give a toss.

hendrix couldnt play rythym for ****, he could improv but his riffs were very unimaginative to be honest. Purple Haze? A three chord riff, yeah great :rolleyes:

i agree (again ;))

townshend was a bloody good guitarist, in that he could play his guitar well both in studio and live. He was the most sturdy member of the band. Moon was all over the place, entwistle had a habit of changing key live for no reason :confused: and it took dalrtry about 8 songs for his voice to warm up, although when it did, he was a ****ing good singer.

me_and_my_esp
10-04-2005, 04:45 PM
the amazing thing about moon, is, that he still kept a bitchin beat. Roger, sexay man roger, he didnt take that long, and John, well, he did change keys randomly a lot.... but hey, hes a damn good bassist

but thats just me ;)

Evil Kid 93
10-04-2005, 04:48 PM
and John, well, he did change keys randomly a lot.... but hey, hes a damn good bassist

Not just damn good...he may well be the greatest bassist who ever lived!

me_and_my_esp
10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
thats what i was implying :)

rworsl
10-06-2005, 05:09 AM

I agree with the Joe Perry thing. It's harsh that he is outshone by Steve "My name's actually tallerico" Tyler

But the band as a whole are amazing. Just listen to You See Me Crying, and you'll see the perfect song.

joshsirjoshules
10-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Elliot Easton

jesus that was unexpected, i have never seen his name in these forums, he really is a great guitar player.

i think james honeyman scott from the pretenders was one of the best guitar players ever and he gets absolutely no credit, people please go out and buy the first and second pretenders album so that you may see the guitar genius that was james honeyman scott.

Derigiberble
10-06-2005, 10:27 AM
the amazing thing about moon, is, that he still kept a bitchin beat. Roger, sexay man roger, he didnt take that long, and John, well, he did change keys randomly a lot.... but hey, hes a damn good bassist

but thats just me ;)

:haha i totally agree, especially the bit about Daltry being sexy :p:

listen to the concert in leeds thats on the double Who's Next Limited Edition album, hes so out for about 7-8 songs, and then he kicks in and hes ****ing immense.

the problem with entwhistle changing keys, was that he tried to be too clever using tri-tone substitution and loads of other ****, but he was too drunk on stage half the time to play it at the right parts :haha which meant he would play in time, but at the wrong parts. Great bassist though, and not a bad singer either

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd say that Stevie Ray Vaughn doesn't get as much credit as he should. Him and Jimi are the best guitarists to have walked the Earth but Jimi gets alot more credit, but then again, he was the first, and he was the original. I'm trying to think of some more...

Andrew Zara
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Actually I think Mark Tremonti(Alter Bridge,Creed) and Dan Donegan(Disturbed)have some talent that they are stating to show.

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-06-2005, 04:48 PM
If your talkinga bout ALL rock (I was just listing Classic Rock guitarists) then I'd have to say that the guitarists from Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party are quite good.

BrainDamage
10-06-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with the Joe Perry thing. It's harsh that he is outshone by Steve "My name's actually tallerico" Tyler

But the band as a whole are amazing. Just listen to You See Me Crying, and you'll see the perfect song. I don't think Perry is overshadowed by Tyler that much, I think they both terribly overshadow Brad Whitford. Whitford is a great guitarist.

Aerosmith ****in rocks :cool:

joshsirjoshules
10-06-2005, 06:29 PM
If your talkinga bout ALL rock (I was just listing Classic Rock guitarists) then I'd have to say that the guitarists from Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party are quite good.

but then again theyre just basically copying the style of andy gill from gang of four, who is very underrated

rocknroll blues
10-06-2005, 07:38 PM
allow me to clarify my position: I certainly don't think Townshend wasn't a ridiculously good musician, rocker, songwriter, etc. Because I absolutely do. Just to get that out there. Additionally, I have heard The Who live, in fact, Live at Leeds is probably one of my favorite Who records. Pete absoLUTELY played better live. No doubt about it. And he is abssoLUTELY one of the most influential musicians to have paced the stage, and he is probably the single most groovin' rhythm guitarists ever (I mean, when the drummer isn't keeping time, someone has to, right?) So don't doubt my adoration of Pete. However, as far as guitar skill goes, I really think he's better off rated low. We're not talking about overall musicianship here. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not some hack who has heard My Generation a couple times and 30 seconds of Happy Jack on a Hummer commercial and now thinks he can have an opinion on one of the most rockin rock and rollers of all time.

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-06-2005, 07:55 PM
but then again theyre just basically copying the style of andy gill from gang of four, who is very underrated

Which one? Bloc Party? Franz Ferdinand? Both?

MultEntendre!
10-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing

IlikeTheSKA
10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. Amazing guitarists. Listen to "Marquee Moon".

syyz1
10-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I agree with threadstarter. Alex Lifeson definitely doesn't get as much recognition as Geddy and Niel.

Midnight 260
10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
the guys in ratt are very underrated

ź├Fire¤nside╗
10-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing

Definately, I was going to say them as well. Sweet stuff they have.

Punk Poser
10-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. Amazing guitarists. Listen to "Marquee Moon".
:cheers:
Television is such an under-rated band, but id consider them more new wave than classic rock. I hardly hear Roger Fripp mentioned. He's an out standing guitarists and a pioneer of progressive music.

lemon
10-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I know its not classic rock but i dont think Brad Nowell gets as much recognition as he deserves, for classic rock I think billy gibbons of zz top deserves more recognition

Froddy
10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Paul Kossof

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Has anyone mentioned Johnny Thunders?

mb_88
10-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I disagree with the poster who nominated Brian Jones of the Stones; Brian was a very good musician, but a so-so guitarist. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of any distinctive GUITAR part he ever added to a Stones song...Keith Richards, on the other hand, IS somewhat underrated?and keep reading before you flame me?as a lead guitarist. Yes, everybody talks about what an astounding rhythmn player and riffer he is, but he also plays beautiful lead?not showy or techinically brilliant, like Page or Hendrix or any of them, but often just what the song needs. Check out anything on the Let It Bleed album...Keith played most all the guitar on that. And speaking of the Stones, I never hear Mick Taylor's name mentioned in these discussions...the guy seems to be one of the forgotten guitarists these days, but he certainly contributed some fantastic guitar parts to Stones songs in the early 70s, elevating so-so songs to another level ("Sway") and playing some brilliant lines on already great pieces. Check out especially his work on their ballads..."Winter" and "Moonlight Mile" would not be the same without Taylor's playing.

joshsirjoshules
10-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Which one? Bloc Party? Franz Ferdinand? Both?

both, cant you hear it? they both copy the fractured guitar style of gang of four!

fr0zt
10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Steve Howe of Yes... listen to "South Side of the Sky"... so inventive

"Mood For A Day" is probably my favorite classical guitar piece ever.

jethrotullrules
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you, fr0zt. I thought out of all these pages I was going to be the only one to mention Steve Howe. He is amazing, and not only one of the most underrated guitarists of all time, but posiibly my favorite. Just listen to any Yes song (other than Owner of a Lonely Heart, and some of their other later stuff) and you will agree with me (about him being underrated).

BlackDog420
10-21-2005, 09:47 AM
i would agree that Robby krieger from the doors is underated, ive got the doors concert dvd, he can solo amazingly, and he had so many styles in his playing.

foxeyadey
10-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Randy california, The 2 g'tar players in Wishbone Ash, Carlos Santana

foxeyadey
10-23-2005, 09:58 AM
And Steve Howe

BrainDamage
10-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Steve Howe of Yes... listen to "South Side of the Sky"... so inventive

"Mood For A Day" is probably my favorite classical guitar piece ever. you know, in the past few days I've started listening to a lot more Yes, and have come to the conclusion that Steve Howe is amazing :)

ufossuck
10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Joe Walsh and sometimes Jimi Hendrix, but normally just Joe Walsh.

SethMegadefan
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
and sometimes Jimi Hendrix
Ahem. I don't think you read the thread title correctly.

BluesRule
11-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Some of the most underrated guitar players are guys like Mike Bloomfield, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeff Beck and the most overrated and i know im gonna catch a lot of heat for this but it has to be Jimmy Page.

frippogenics
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
This may have been mentioned but Robert Fripp of King Crimson. Great guitar player and amazing composer. Anyone who knows anything about music theory should be impressed with his writing. And any guitar player with some spare time try to play the fast part of "Pictures of a City." Can't play that for the life of me.

Bmm386
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Ive been here less than 6 months, and ive seen this thread at least 9 times. There should be a Underrated only thread.

Variable
11-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Yes...[David Gilmour] is underrated. Probably because he doesn't play a million notes per second
Yup. Too many people confuse fast playing with good playing.
I think that Stefan Grossman (Yahoo Basin Boogie in particular) and Davey Graham never really got theirs.

coldethyl
11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Under-rated guitarist = Mike Bloomfield

spaceace_75
01-07-2006, 08:18 PM
the space ace from kiss

WEBSTER_1916
01-09-2006, 04:23 AM
somebody explain to me me why ye kin say jimmy page is under rated ace frhely is well an ample example jimmy page is ****in rippin best guitar player thts graced ma ears

frippogenics
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
^ What in the holy hell are you on about?

Godzilla1969
01-12-2006, 07:35 PM
They've all been said at least once, so there's really no point in saying them, but I think Robby Kreiger, George Harrison, and Paul McCarteny are and were all great guitarists.

ridcullylives
01-12-2006, 08:39 PM
It's all about Jimmy Mac (=Paul McCartney, figure it out)....he's such a freaking good guitar player. People forget that. Better than Harrison technically, though I like Harrison's guitar work better.

And on the subject of Franz...I think Alex Kapranos in particular is a good guitarist. He's not like a guitar god, but he's damn good.

Izz
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Izzy Stradlin! Most underrated! He made pretty much every riff for gn'r.

Manzo
01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Izzy Stradlin! Most underrated! He made pretty much every riff for gn'r.

Izzy rocks!

Anyway, my favourite underrated guitarist is John Reid from Strife. Everyone go and buy the albums Rush and Back to Thunder so you can see what I mean.

Quiet_Riot
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
i reckon Nuno Bettencourt is pretty underrated. he's a fantastic guitarist.

Black Star
01-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Joe Perry is an amazing guitarist, and doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

David Gilmour is underrated as well.

Izz
01-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks Manzo=) He is the greatest:P

metal Lover
01-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Of classic rock David Gilmour. Of thrash metal Jeff Hanneman, he deserves more credit. I think he's better than Kerry King.

Manzo
01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey Izz, have you got Like a Dog?

DownDark
01-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Brian May has to be one of the most underrated guitarists ever. He doesn't get as much credit for Queen's music as much as he deserves. Probably because Mercury's powerful voice overshadows May's skill. Props to Brian "Brain" May!

joshsirjoshules
01-14-2006, 11:50 PM
And on the subject of Franz...I think Alex Kapranos in particular is a good guitarist. He's not like a guitar god, but he's damn good.

Once again, for the uneducated people in these forums, Franz Ferdinand is not as original or good as everyone thinks. They stole their entire sound from Gang Of Four, and so did Bloc Party. They just took out the political subjects of the music and replaced it with more radio friendly lyrics.

Gang Of Four (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=70258437&s=143441)

ridcullylives
01-15-2006, 12:05 AM
^^^^ **** off.

I never said they were original, did I? And who are you to judge if I think they're good?

I have no problem if you don't like them. Go ahead. But I do. And I think Alex Kapranos is a good guitarist.

And they put on a ****ing great live show.

joshsirjoshules
01-15-2006, 11:28 AM
^^^^ **** off.

I never said they were original, did I? And who are you to judge if I think they're good?

I have no problem if you don't like them. Go ahead. But I do. And I think Alex Kapranos is a good guitarist.

And they put on a ****ing great live show.

I never said they weren't good, just not as good as everyone thinks. I like Franz Ferdinand, they write good songs and yes they do put on a great live show, but at least know where they got their sound from and where their roots lie. I bet you didn't even click the link and actually listen to Gang Of Four to see what I was talking about. Listen to "Not Great Men" and "Return The Gift" and you'll see that Franz and Bloc Party along with loads of other bands got their sound from them. The whole funk-punk is totally their's. RHCP also owes a big debt to them.

SethMegadefan
01-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I never said they weren't good, just not as good as everyone thinks. I like Franz Ferdinand, they write good songs and yes they do put on a great live show, but at least know where they got their sound from and where their roots lie. I bet you didn't even click the link and actually listen to Gang Of Four to see what I was talking about. Listen to "Not Great Men" and "Return The Gift" and you'll see that Franz and Bloc Party along with loads of other bands got their sound from them. The whole funk-punk is totally their's. RHCP also owes a big debt to them.
Listen, you don't want to get into an argument of influences and roots, because it's basically endless. Whatever bands influenced Franz Ferdinand were obviously influenced by other bands, and those bands by other bands, and so on and so forth. Don't get mad at someone for not having the time to listen to all of a band's influences and respect them and say "Hmm... now I can better understand this band's sound because I have listened to their influences." That just doesn't make any sense.

get-born
01-16-2006, 09:10 AM
- Brian Jones (beautiful slide, superbly tasteful guitar, and learned the sitar in 30 MINUTES. Could Jimmy fucking Page pull that off? No way...)

bull****, jimmy page is way better than brain jones, if you think diffrent, you need phycoligical help

Newkid
01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Gene Simmons!!

BrainDamage
01-16-2006, 12:47 PM
bull****, jimmy page is way better than brain jones, if you think diffrent, you need phycoligical help would you say the same if I think Joe Perry is a better guitarist than Jimmy Page?

Haigy
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I dunno about him, but I would

skeptopotamus
01-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Zal Cleminson of Nazareth, and more importantly, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. The man was a genius (and still is).

Also Frank Zappa. He was way before his time.

Manzo
01-17-2006, 11:54 AM
and more importantly, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. The man was a genius (and still is).

Yay!

skeptopotamus
01-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes. Yay indeed.

rhcp_fan2210
01-18-2006, 02:30 AM
John frusciante no ever looks at his solo carer or his live stuff

Supreme WarHawk
07-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Alex Lifeson, both in Wishbone Ash

VR05
07-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Uncle Frank, (Frank Zappa, for the less informed ones), Peter Green, Steve Howe, (I realize these have all been said, but i'm just reinforcing) And I know this isn't particularly Classic Rock, but John McLaughlin, fucking insane stuff.

Freebird759
07-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Allen Collins and Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers

TheHeartbreaker
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I thought I posted in this thread... It must have been in a similar one...

Anyways, my votes towards underrated guitarists of Classic Rock...

Dickey Betts
John Fogerty
Jerry Garcia
Peter Green
George Harrison
Jourma Kaukonen
Alvin Lee
Alex Lifeson
Frank Zappa

The_Paranoia
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy underrated! Alex is da bomb!

mrpie
07-25-2006, 06:17 AM
i think tony lommi from black sabbath and ...angus young (ACDC)... were kinda underrated...tony lommi more so...listen to the solos he does on war pigs...and the riffs like iron man and paranoid.

Derigiberble
07-25-2006, 06:21 AM
would you say the same if I think Joe Perry is a better guitarist than Jimmy Page?

Kurt Cobain was a better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

*Stirs the controversy pot*

SomeEvilDude
07-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Rory Gallagher - simply because nobody seems to have heard of him.
Snowy White - for much the above reason.
David Gilmour - he really doesn't get the credit he deserves, as far as I'm concerned in any case.
Malcolm Jones - if anybody here has heard of this man or Runrig, I will marry you. :p: The man is a fantasticly good guitarist, and nobody's heard of him or the band he's in. Such a shame.

And non classic rock, I'd have to agree with John Frusciante and Izzy Stradlin', both brilliant players. And quite frankly, Izzy > Slash. Slash is overhyped.

BrainDamage
07-25-2006, 08:43 AM

*Stirs the controversy pot* well...that's pushing it a little too far :p:

Bloody Headache
07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Eddie Clarke.

TheHeartbreaker
07-25-2006, 11:06 AM

*Stirs the controversy pot*

Come on, even you know that's not true. :p:

Raven_Martyr
07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Robby Krieger from the Doors is a really underappreciated guitarist, he is amazing. I'm going to have to say that David Gilmour, from the best band in my opinion, Pink Floyd, is my favorite and is really underrated. Syd Barrett, who just recently passed away:'( is underrated also, he wasn't exactly the best guitarist, but he had his own unique way of playing and writing music.

Fire^it^up
07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Marc Bolan-T.Rex
Johnny Thunders, Syl Sylvan-NYDolls

TheHeartbreaker
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I think Marc Bolan never used his ability to play guitar to its full potential.

There were times where it sounded like he would rip out some awesome solo, but then wouldn't solo at all.

psycadelicart
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
robbie krieger (doors) malcom young (ac/dc) duane allman (allman brothers) b.b king

headrulz101
07-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Zappa and Lifeson.

Rush.
07-26-2006, 04:47 AM
Frid's right, Alex is SO under rated, and let's be honest, some of his riffs and solos are amazing. Put it this way, without him Rush wouldn't be the same(That goes for all the members of Rush to)

TheHeartbreaker
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
John Cipollina of the Quicksilver Messenger Service

Randy Bachman of The Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive

Derigiberble
07-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Come on, even you know that's not true. :p:

Pfft maybe not, but it's not far off. :p:

Derigiberble
07-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Rory Gallagher - simply because nobody seems to have heard of him.
Snowy White - for much the above reason.
David Gilmour - he really doesn't get the credit he deserves, as far as I'm concerned in any case.
Malcolm Jones - if anybody here has heard of this man or Runrig, I will marry you. :p: The man is a fantasticly good guitarist, and nobody's heard of him or the band he's in. Such a shame.

And non classic rock, I'd have to agree with John Frusciante and Izzy Stradlin', both brilliant players. And quite frankly, Izzy > Slash. Slash is overhyped.

Double post.

But OMG RUNRIG :eek:

I :heart: you. I've seen them live, Scottish music = pwnage.

TheHeartbreaker
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
*Wikipedia's Runrig*

SCOTTISH FOLK MUSIC! :eek:

Aye think aye just **** in mae kilt.

SomeEvilDude
07-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Double post.

But OMG RUNRIG :eek:

I :heart: you. I've seen them live, Scottish music = pwnage.

Bloody hell. You're the first person I've 'spoken' to outside my family who's heard of them. I think a sex change on my part and a marriage is definately in order here.
Only seen them once - sadly with Bruce instead of Donnie - couple of years back but they're fucking amazing. And the fact that not only have you heard of them, but you like them and have seen them live makes you with a doubt the coolest person on this forum.

:heart: :p:

TheHeartbreaker
07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Don't be surprised if you get sigged for that.

SomeEvilDude
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Don't be surprised if you get sigged for that.

Well, I don't really care either way. Anyone who likes Runrig is undoubtedly cooler than everyone else.
Besides, it was his ramblings on these forums that got me into Robben Ford and Rory Gallagher, so that makes him even cooler.

:p:

paintITblack39
07-27-2006, 03:54 PM
George Harrison
Paul McCartney - People think of him as a bass player and songwriter, but he's a really good guitarist.
Robbie Krieger - When people think of the Doors, they think of Jim Morrison. Robbie Krieger is a great guitarist.

distilledspirit
07-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Mick Ronson...

deadhead313313
07-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't know if its been said, though it most likely has. I say Robbie Robertson is another highly underrated guitar player. He can rip it up. Quite good on The Last Waltz.

EDIT: And looking through the thread, I found this:

Not just damn good...he may well be the greatest bassist who ever lived!

I definately wouldn't go that far. In Classic Rock, perhaps, most definately top 5/10, but all time, I'll have to disagree with you.

Derigiberble
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I don't really care either way. Anyone who likes Runrig is undoubtedly cooler than everyone else.
Besides, it was his ramblings on these forums that got me into Robben Ford and Rory Gallagher, so that makes him even cooler.

:p:

:cool: Anyone who digs Runrig, Gallagher and Ford is a legend with me.

beanage
07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Correction

George Harrison

Best...Guitarist...EVER! I love him

TheHeartbreaker
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't know if its been said, though it most likely has. I say Robbie Robertson is another highly underrated guitar player. He can rip it up. Quite good on The Last Waltz.

Definetly. I love when Clapton comes out and they play some blues. :cool:

BrainDamage
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
^^yeah, that's great. Then Clapton's strap fell off in the middle of his solo and Robertson had to take over :p:

deadhead313313
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
^^yeah, that's great. Then Clapton's strap fell off in the middle of his solo and Robertson had to take over :p:
I had a good laugh when that happened. I kinda saw it coming. I looked at his strap when he came on stage. I was like, "OH SNAP, Clapton's gunna get PWN'D!!!"

And he did.

TheHeartbreaker
07-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I used to have that problem with my strap too (which is based on a design by the great artist Jerry Garcia :) ).

acefrehley
07-28-2006, 08:40 PM
ace frehley

TheHeartbreaker
07-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Andy Summers of The Police is very unrecognized.

AngusIsMyHero
07-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Ugh, I hate Tom Morello, he made some pretty good riffs, but when I listen to rock songs, I usually look forward to the solos, not when Morello plays though. Everytime I hear one of his songs and it gets to the solo it gets annoying and confusing. Don't get me wrong, he is unique and I am glad that he doesn't just shred for solos, but all the different noises get annoying.

Okay, now that I am done ranting about Tom Morello, I am going to state who I believe is the most underrated guitarist. That man is James Hetfield, he not only writes incredible lyrics and sings, but he also writes great riffs and some pretty good solos. I love listening to Nothing Else Matters because of his solo. He is always thought of as the great vocalist for Metallica, but he is also a great guitarist.

deadhead313313
07-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Ugh, I hate Tom Morello, he made some pretty good riffs, but when I listen to rock songs, I usually look forward to the solos, not when Morello plays though. Everytime I hear one of his songs and it gets to the solo it gets annoying and confusing. Don't get me wrong, he is unique and I am glad that he doesn't just shred for solos, but all the different noises get annoying.

Okay, now that I am done ranting about Tom Morello, I am going to state who I believe is the most underrated guitarist. That man is James Hetfield, he not only writes incredible lyrics and sings, but he also writes great riffs and some pretty good solos. I love listening to Nothing Else Matters because of his solo. He is always thought of as the great vocalist for Metallica, but he is also a great guitarist.
Morello came into most recording sessions not knowing what key the song was in, and then he would record his solos. So most of the ones you hear are probably out of key. As well, he was an experimental guitarist. He used plenty of effects, to try and develop a tone and sounds that people hadn't heard before. So those are two reasons why you may consider him annoying.

And now that I'm done ranting about Tom Morello, I'm going to tell you to stick to Classic Rock, or you'll end up getting warned.

AngusIsMyHero
07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah, sorry about that, I just remembered that this was the classic rock forum. On subject, I think Gary Moore is very underrated. I ask all of my friends that absolutely love rock music, and not a single one of them know who Gary Moore is. He is a great guitarist, I just love watching the video of him playing Whiskey in the Jar with Thiin Lizzy.

Sabbath69
07-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Frank Zappa: that dude was amazing on the guitar, and alost no one has heard of him because he is so fuking crazy (and not quite in the good way, except it did work out for him)!

A lot of you are mentioning some pretty revered and well known guitarists though, underrated means not duly appreciated.
Malcolm Young: Underrated as hell!
He was underappreciated cause he was mediocre, but almost everyone sucks compared to Angus, even tho I don't like AC/DC that much... he kicks so much ass on guitar, and for suck a little guy too. And there are more on this thread that did suck, just this one jumped out at me the most.

Jesse Mrau
07-29-2006, 04:26 AM
It was right before the solo, Robbie just picked it up without skipping a beat until Clapton was ready, it just goes to show how good of a musician he was. Being that aware of everything on stage takes some skill.

^Frank Zappa could rip it up man. For example Willie The Pimp has a great solo. He was awesome. So much material, so experimental. Like c'mon, how many rock artists write chamber works? And the man was one of the more intelligent people on this planet. Just watched that video of him debating on crossfire. He pwned.
But yeah, great guitarist.

BlueOyster23
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Buck Dharma

Aiden_4EVA
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Synyster Gate (Avenged Sevenfold)
Kirk Hammet (metallica)
Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)
:rolleyes:

Mercuryworks
07-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Synyster Gate (Avenged Sevenfold)

Do all those guys couldnt play a sh*t and A7x isnt F*cking classic rock man

as for for underrated hmm damn is it me or are they underrated cause most of them suck

Clapton isnt underrated NEITHER is Paul

Steve Ray is underatted but just played in the same blues box ( I love em as a guitarist but people in this world are stupid so the demand for him at the was NOT to get out of the box and when he did, it pluimmeted)

Brian May isnt at all underrated cause of Freddie and he still remains one of rock GREATEST Guitarist

George wasnt a extreme soloist he was at the 60s not a metal age

so the reason most of them are underrated (not all of them) is cause they stay with the SAME pentatonic scale which makes em boring (little music lesson)

TheHeartbreaker
07-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think Stevie Ray was underrated - he definetly is recognized and loved by almost everyone I know.

Mercuryworks
07-29-2006, 04:19 PM
No but he is not like Jimi famous which is what wass being discussed

TheHeartbreaker
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't know... A lot of people claim that he played Jimi's songs better than Jimi did.

Mercuryworks
07-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Dude SRV ROCKED with a f*ckin passion man I am not saying Jimi is much better. I just said if the consumer would have let him get out of the usually blues box scale then he would have been much less underrated in a national knowledge sense. He is great and I know it but every time he went out of the box the song wasnt popular amonst general media so like every artist should, he played what the consumers wanted to hear and that was the blues. So he was known as a Blues guy. You know like Paul, people go to a Paul McCartney show to hear his Beatles and his style of music not Pantera music. However he plays every where Lydian, Mixodylian everywhere which caught more ears as Jimi did, but SRV tryed once, didnt work with one or two songs, so he naturally did the scale. Experimentaion or Money.

There chew on that for a while (no disrespect just a term I use to say read it nice and closely)

But back on subject, yeah he is underrated cause he didnt catch as many ears as Jimi, Paul, George , Brian, Clapton and all the named greatest guitarists. But that doesnt make him any better or worse in technique which he work with with beautifully, so I am not saying he is below par with these guys just saying popularity and more style works great with how well someone is known (or Overated as some say)

fattypumbaa
07-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Brian May
Stevie Ray Vaughn (truly amazing)
Frank Zappa
Leslie West
Malcom Young
Joe Perry
and most of all
Tony Iommi he is the f***in riff king he created metal and only has 2 mother f***in finger tips come on he doesnt get the recognition he deserves
and Johnny Winter really under rated

ridcullylives
07-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Dude SRV ROCKED with a f*ckin passion man I am not saying Jimi is much better. I just said if the consumer would have let him get out of the usually blues box scale then he would have been much less underrated in a national knowledge sense. He is great and I know it but every time he went out of the box the song wasnt popular amonst general media so like every artist should, he played what the consumers wanted to hear and that was the blues. So he was known as a Blues guy. You know like Paul, people go to a Paul McCartney show to hear his Beatles and his style of music not Pantera music. However he plays every where Lydian, Mixodylian everywhere which caught more ears as Jimi did, but SRV tryed once, didnt work with one or two songs, so he naturally did the scale. Experimentaion or Money.

There chew on that for a while (no disrespect just a term I use to say read it nice and closely)

But back on subject, yeah he is underrated cause he didnt catch as many ears as Jimi, Paul, George , Brian, Clapton and all the named greatest guitarists. But that doesnt make him any better or worse in technique which he work with with beautifully, so I am not saying he is below par with these guys just saying popularity and more style works great with how well someone is known (or Overated as some say)

Are you a native english speaker? Because if you are, learn to ****ing type.

If not, then kudos for trying to learn the language, but you still need some work.

And I'm just getting a great picture of Paul McC doing Pantera.

Mercuryworks
07-30-2006, 04:15 AM
:p: Dude where I live it is 4:14 Am ease up sorry for mistakes

TheHeartbreaker
07-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, Mercuryworks, I sort of disagree with what you've been trying to tell me.

Stevie played what he wanted - he had a passion and love for music. He wouldn't let the "consumer" decide what he could and couldn't play.

He played blues, and that was pretty much all we heard from him, but he loved the blues. Albert King was his hero, who inspired him to play in the first place.

Also, Stevie wouldn't just play in "the box" of the blues scale - he knew the notes he could and couldn't play (depending on the key of a song), and he could fly all over the fret board.

Music shouldn't be entirely about what the consumer wants - if you have a love and passion for playing the blues, and the consumer, your "fans", want you to play something else, do you really have to do it, even if you don't want to?

Music is an art. Let the artist do what they want.

clapton-floyd
07-31-2006, 06:35 AM
> David Gilmour
>Pete Townshend
>Tony Iommi
> And the guy that played guitar on "Hell Raiser" on Ozzy's "No More Tears" album, can't rember his name

>Gilmour is certainly under rated as a guitarist, not many will speak of his name when talking about rock gods. You just have to listen to the solos in a lot of Pink Floyd songs to realise his pure genius and musical brilliance.

>Townshend was never credited with creating power chords, and his songs were awesome, some had simple riffs of 3 chords, but were in credibly effective. He was a perfectionist, or seemed to be as he wanted everything to be perfect, yet it wasn't some of the time.

>Tony Iommi, 2 finger tips, and then the inventor of heavy metal, and the creater of so many recognisable riffs, and riffs that created the basis of a lot of music.

>The "Hell Raiser guy", he featured on the No More Tears album for Ozzy playing the song Hell Raiser, I can't remember his name, or if he did any more songs or the whole album, but I love the song Hell Raiser, and the "Hell Raiser guy" does it best. If any of you can remind me of his name, please post it!

Caustic
07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Zakk Wylde played on Ozzys No More Tears album, but Hellraiser was written with Lemmy from Motorhead, but it could possibly be Phil Campbell and Michael "Wurzel" Burston, Motorheads guitarists, for that track.

Edit unrelated to the thread: Apologies for my overly-vicious reply in your Modern Music thread. It's a subject I feel strongly about and I get carried away. While I can understand your point of view, there is good music out there, in all the genres you named, whether it's to your taste or not. You just have to look.

TheHeartbreaker
07-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Tom Scholz of Boston definetly is underrated.

The guitar on pretty much every Boston song I've heard (which is all the songs from Boston and Don't Look Back) is absolutley amazing, even though it is quite possible that they touched up a bit in the studio.

clapton-floyd
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Unrelated to thread: No worries Caustic, it's just I have never met anyone who likes those genres of music who haven't laughed in my face and taken the piss out of me for liking rock music. Sh*t, I've taken a slapping or two for it!

And thanks btw, Zakk Wylde, he did Hell Raiser very well, and Lemmy was a fool to give let the song go.

Caustic
07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I think Lemmy included it on a release of his too actually, March or Die. They shared songwriting credits so both of them could release it really.

And on rock music; it happens. Just got to think that those who insult people for such a personal decision as musical taste, are far, far below the ones they're picking on. Take the moral highground. Or, if there's lots of them... just run.

clapton-floyd
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
:p: LOL.

Jackoutofhell
07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Bob Saget

Wilbury
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
George Harrison (though he's now getting the recognition he deserves, IMO)

David w
07-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Tom Scholz of Boston definetly is underrated.

The guitar on pretty much every Boston song I've heard (which is all the songs from Boston and Don't Look Back) is absolutley amazing, even though it is quite possible that they touched up a bit in the studio.

Yeah, lots of the guitar in Boston songs is very good, but i never really hear Boston as a band getting mentioned much- good to give them credit.

Other guitarists....people have said them earlier in this thread, but Gilmour, Harrison and Rory Gallagher are underrated in my opinion.

feenux258
07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Bob Saget

hahaha

i saw him play guitar on a full house episode (if it was really im playing) and it was good

mojorisin58
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM

I totaly disagree w/ you both of them are highly overrated
I personally think David Gilmour is very underrated, also ROBBY KREIGER

ian1977
07-31-2006, 06:41 PM
steve gaines and allen collins
noone ever talks about lynyrd skynyrd

BrainDamage
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I totaly disagree w/ you both of them are highly overrated Slash is but Joe Perry isn't :)

Uncle Salty
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
But he's still not as good or as underated as Brad Whitford

Fruscianteac
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
uh i'd probably have to say maybe mike mccready from pearl jam. he can rip it up when he wants.

and a lot of the younger cats don't know about buddy guy and such round where i'm from, so buddy guy also.

Guitarist_12345
07-31-2006, 10:02 PM
I agree with slash because he is what made guns n roses awesome. But joe perry definately isnt one of the best. Jimmy page and Hendrix can easily outplay him.

freewheelinbird
07-31-2006, 11:19 PM
mick taylor and brian jones of the rolling stones

TheHeartbreaker
07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
^^Definetly.

People never think of any of The Rolling Stones guitarists as being any good because their music is fairly simple, and they don't have any "mind-blowing" solos.

Mick is awesome, and Brian was awesome until he died.

Invictious
07-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Me..I am so underrated :(

CowboyUp
07-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Peter Frampton and Phil Keaggy for the win.

TheHeartbreaker
07-31-2006, 11:36 PM
My Grandfather knows Frampton's bassist Skinny (well, now he wants to go by "John") Regan, because they live in the same village.

Peter is definetly underrated as a guitarist, but I don't think he's top-notch.

lit1219
07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom is pretty awesome and he is underrated

marvelboy_04
07-31-2006, 11:43 PM
steve gaines and allen collins
noone ever talks about lynyrd skynyrd
skynyrd rules.
and as for the thread,
Id probably say randy rhoads since to the casual music listener hes probably not that well known since he died so young and stuff.
also malcolm young
and glen tipton and k.k. downing. i havent heard much priest but i think the breaking the law riff is very cool.
also all the old school blues people like buddy guy
also goerge thorogood. i saw him in concert and i gotta say im impressed.
also stevie ray vaughan. i dare you to talk to your average teenage girl and ask them if they know who he is.

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom is pretty awesome and he is underrated

Except he isn't Classic Rock. :)

shawnson
08-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Alvin Lee from Ten Years After. He wrote some sweet solos for his time.

BrainDamage
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
But joe perry definately isnt one of the best. Jimmy page and Hendrix can easily outplay him. I don't think Page can outplay him at all.

And I've probably mentioned it before in this thread, but I'll restate my point. Brad Whitford of Aerosmith is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. He's overshadowed by Perry, a lot of the time most people don't realize that Brad has some great lead work (for example, Back in the Saddle, Last Child, Round and Round, and Lord of the Thighs).

guitargod137
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Joe walsh and don felder from the eagles for sure

Axe Miester
08-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Definitely the most underrated guitarists are Marc Bolan and Tommy Bolin. Listen to James Gang's Bang or his stint with Deep Purple ( which reminds me, Blackmore is one of the most overrated guitarist ) to see how he rocked something fierce.
As for T... R...E... X...he wasn't just a brillant lyricist and songwriter, he was a guitar maestro on both the acoustic and the electric. Check out "The Time of the Love is Now" and "Futuristic Dragon" to hear his prowess. :peace:
:D Axe Miester!

blues_rocker
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Ritchie Blackmore.

endless_name
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Zappa and Steve Miller
i 100% agree

FreddieMercury
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
i 100% agree
is steve miller also the singer? if so i really like his talent

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Alvin Lee from Ten Years After. He wrote some sweet solos for his time.

One of my favorites.

His solos weren't meant to be Gilmour-type, emotional solos, but rather extended free flying face melters.

And his riffs were sick too.

Axe Miester
08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
:cool Alvin lee isn't underated, he's the fastest gitar in the West. Sugar the road....working on the road, Yee Ha!
Though Blackmore had a sweet solo on "Child in Time" the song sux so ya gotta negate that. Though he did sound really nice on the beginning of "Hush", he's as good as Tommy Bolin, that's all so overated, underated, sideways, down

Here's a question.....how come the only good singers on Rock Star Supernova are girls? And when Gilby Clarke asked that last singer if she was ready to be a rebel, did that mean he's ready to candy up her nose with the best coke she's ever had and yadda, yadda, yadda.... :mad: :liplick: :confused:
Axe Miester!

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
You don't like Child in Time?

Man, that song is awesome...

Axe Miester
08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
:) Didja know "Child in Time" was lifted off a tune by the band It's A Beautiful Day (David LaFlamme, now there's underrated :rolleyes: ) and I like it, but just because as a guitar player, that's how I like it.... but.... when I take out my Deep Purple score I go to "Speed King", to me that's a phuckin' awesome that I think I'm gonna make my band (yea right I can find a singer like that :mad: .)cover it. Blakemore's solo on "Child in Time" is ace, but the tune is not. I'm a Speed (Black Beauties, Yellow Jacks, 67Mustangs) King :peace: Axe Miester!

I dig it I dig it No one is ever wrong or rite We just are GUITARISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong in not liking it, but personally I find it to be a good song.

Axe Miester
08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey, what about Mick Ralphs. Not just Bad Co but Mott the Hoople. "Rock-n-Roll Queen" is phuckin cool, and "Thunderbuck Ram" (haven't heard that in so long) is pretty powerful and his cover of "Darkness, Darkness'......huh Mick Ralphs baby, Can't get enuff of his guitar, whew! :peace: Axe Miester!

clapton-floyd
08-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Eric Clapton is under-rated, not as a rock guitarist, but as a blues guitarist. He is AMAZING at the blues, and most people only know him from his awesome rock.

Derigiberble
08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
^^^ I disagree, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Clapton's playing, and I think he's a great guitarist, but if anything he's overated. He's not the insanely good guitarist some people make him out to be. Yeah he's good at the blues, but to be honest, he's not a shade on guys like Rory Gallagher, Peter Green and Robben Ford.

BrainDamage
08-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Eric Clapton is under-rated, not as a rock guitarist, but as a blues guitarist. He is AMAZING at the blues, and most people only know him from his awesome rock. you don't seem to understand the he gets all the credit he deserves as a guitarist and especially a blues guitarist.

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey, what about Mick Ralphs. Not just Bad Co but Mott the Hoople. "Rock-n-Roll Queen" is phuckin cool, and "Thunderbuck Ram" (haven't heard that in so long) is pretty powerful and his cover of "Darkness, Darkness'......huh Mick Ralphs baby, Can't get enuff of his guitar, whew! :peace: Axe Miester!

I never listened to Mott the Hoople much, but Bad Company is awesome.

Mick Ralphs is definetly an underrated guitarist.

Mikeoman
08-03-2006, 09:35 PM
The Edge from U2( You'll all kill me for that... just so you knows I think their last album was a piece of dog****). He's not the best soloist in the world, but hey, a lot of times you get too much praise for soloing and not for your rhythms, and man, Edge has made some real nice riffs and rhythms.

And John Fogerty! Theres one of those guys who could make something reeealllyy good out of something simple. He can actually do pretty good soloing bits too. I got his DVD, and theres this tapping bit he does before the song "Keep on Chooglin'" which sounds like... it sounds pretty cool!

Doesn't mean I don't like to hear something really fast once in a while, though.

And I always thought B.B. King was an overrated guitarist. He knows his pentatonics, so what?.... good singer though, gots himself a really good voice.

TheHeartbreaker
08-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I love both John Fogerty and B.B. King, but honestly, I'm not huge on U2, and certainly not The Edge.

Whenever I hear U2, I never really am drawn into the guitar.

cmonfeelthenoiz
08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits.

amazing

Froddy
08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Paul Kossoff.

TheHeartbreaker
08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I love Paul.

He's becoming one of my favorite guitarists.

His music is pretty simple, but he has a lot of heart and soul, and his solos are amazing.

Dejecter
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Pete Townshend is terribley underrated in the modern eye.

TheHeartbreaker
08-04-2006, 10:58 PM
A lot of the reason I think that Pete is considered very highly as a guitarist is because basically every Who song consists of a few chords.

Usually people consider great guitarists people who play more than just a few chords.

However, despite the simpleness of Pete's music, you always found that you fell in love with it.

The Necromancer
08-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Lifeson all the way, never heard anyone ever mention that guy outside my circle of friends around here. Also, Mick Ronson was very imaginative. The guys from Wishbone Ash also rock

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
08-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Andy Gill from Gang of Four and Richard Lloyd from Television are very underrated but highly influnetial.

alex_haeni
08-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Mark Knopfler
Alex Lifeson
Derek Trucks

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 07:05 PM
The Nuge,
Zappa,
Ace Frehley,
Malcolm Young,
Don Felder,
Oh lord how I could go on.

psychodelia
08-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I love both John Fogerty and B.B. King, but honestly, I'm not huge on U2, and certainly not The Edge.

Whenever I hear U2, I never really am drawn into the guitar.

How strange, the Edge has actually been a pretty big influence on me :p:

Frank Zappa is certainly underrated... not necessarily in the public eye, but in my household! They like his music, they just don't dig his soloing, I guess.

guitar_DUDE14
08-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Shawn Lane, he was one of the fastest playing guitarists alive... but yet hardly anyone knows who he was.

Berdovan
08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Pete Townshend!

Gibson_SG_uzr55
08-05-2006, 10:47 PM
The most underrated rhythm guitarist, I feel, is Malcom Young. He may not play as fast as James Hetfield or Scott Ian, and play w/ just a few chords and riffs per song, but makes the best riffs of all. The most underrated lead guitarist is Dave Mustaine. Some might disagree w/ that, but think. He played with Marty Friedman most of his career. People not to familiar w/ him would think he is just a rhythm guitarist, which is fine, he makes great riffs, and there is nothing wrong w/ rhythm. Rhythm is great, but Dave can really shred.

TheHeartbreaker
08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
How strange, the Edge has actually been a pretty big influence on me :p:

Frank Zappa is certainly underrated... not necessarily in the public eye, but in my household! They like his music, they just don't dig his soloing, I guess.

Zappa = :cheers:

Frank is great. I love his jazzy stuff.

clapton-floyd
08-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Knopfler is under rated, not nearly enough people know of his brilliance.

hassasin
08-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Malcomb Young-ACDC
Ed King-Lynyrd Skynyrd

Fuze
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Ritchie Blackmore. Rolling Stone Rated him 55. he should be in the top 10!!

skeptopotamus
08-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Bob Weir- Grateful Dead/The Dead
Michael Houser- Widespread Panic
Jeff Lang

Iluvpowerchords
08-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Lou Reed
Sterling Morrison
Ross "the Boss" Friedman
Fred "Sonic" Smith
Wayne Kramer

Dog Eat Dog
08-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Brian Jones and Keith Richards are both underrated IMO.

Mr. Crash
08-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Zappa.

skeptopotamus
08-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Zal Cleminson
Elmore James

freewheelinbird
08-20-2006, 03:53 PM
mick taylor of the stones

darkhorse025
08-20-2006, 06:03 PM
GEORGE HARRISON (aka. my love)

TheHeartbreaker
08-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Until I watched this documentary on him the other day, I never would have said it, but like deadhead313313 said earlier, Steve Miller.

That man can really play.

Derigiberble
08-21-2006, 08:07 PM
mick taylor of the stones

Nah I saw him live with John Mayall and the bluesbreakers and he was shite.

freewheelinbird
08-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Nah I saw him live with John Mayall and the bluesbreakers and he was shite.

congratulations! you're wrong!

listen to let it bleed, sticky fingers, and of that. the man's good i tell you

Derigiberble
08-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Congratulations, you're a stuck up dick. I have heard the man play guitar many a time, and I've seen him live, his playing really isn't that good, he's the worst to have ever played with the stones and he's the worst to have ever played with Mayall. But then again, i wouldn't expect someone as uneducated and inbred as yourself to know what good guitar playing was. ;)

deadhead313313
08-21-2006, 08:46 PM
^^^Here we go :rolleyes:

Until I watched this documentary on him the other day, I never would have said it, but like deadhead313313 said earlier, Steve Miller.

That man can really play.
Indeed he can. Hes got talent, for sure. Not just guitar playing. Hes got quite a voice as well.

Ziggy193
08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Malcolm Young - All the AC/DC "fans" only notice Angus, but, as much as I love Angus, behind the all the blistering solos was Malcolm, who wrote about 90% of AC/DC's riffs. Sure, people may say all of AC/DC's riffs are simple...doesn't matter. They kick ass, and that's that. Malcolm is also one of the most solid rhythm players of all time, maybe even the best.

Not that I really wanna get involved in this argument (I'm not even a Stones fan), but doesn't he have a right to his opinion? Last time I checked, opinions couldn't be "wrong".

lava_sonic_dude
08-22-2006, 08:56 PM
steve howe: most underratted guitarist ever

greggybhoy
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I would say George Harrisson, Steve Marriot (Small Faces) and Mick Jones from The Clash are pretty underrated. So is Noel Gallagher - I don't care what anyone says. In fact, Oasis as musicians are given hardly any credit for their talent, seeing as all of them (including Liam) can play at least 2 instruments in the band with ease.

Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi get too much stick IMO. If you like Malcolm Young then you should be able to appreciate them, so I'm going to stick up for them too!

TheHeartbreaker
08-23-2006, 08:00 AM
steve howe: most underratted guitarist ever

Steve Howe is undeniably one of the best guitarists ever...

It's just that many people don't listen to Yes much. :sad:

Garci
08-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Rory Gallagher

tristan123/
08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
me

TheHeartbreaker
08-25-2006, 07:06 PM
^^You suck. ;)

claptonfan55
09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Paul Kossoff and George Harrison. Both were great.
RIP Paul and George.

marvelboy_04
09-10-2006, 04:23 PM
mark knopfler
billy gibbons
stevie ray vaughan(yes hes pretty well known but not like jimmy page or someone like that.)
malcolm young
allen collins
dave rossington
the thin lizzy guitarists.(see i cant even remembe their names!)
ritchie(sp?) blackmore

IndianRockStar
09-13-2006, 12:00 AM
One of mine is Brian May. When everyone talks about Queen they only talk about Freddie. If anyone says Jimmy Page in this thread I will personally make thier lives hell.

tx-20054
09-13-2006, 05:45 AM

I feel that Alex Lifeson of Rush and Malcolm Young of AC/DC:devil: doesn't get enough recognition.

get-born
09-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Steve Howe...

Totally amazing and tasteful, yet never gets recongnition...

Mark Knoplfer...

What else do I have to say...

Ace Fhrely...

You do you think was making up all those catchy little licks in all early Kiss?, just because he wore makeup, dosent mean he was bad...

gregg freeman
09-13-2006, 08:51 AM
John Squire!!!!!!!!

gregg freeman
09-13-2006, 08:52 AM
:D John Squire! :D

cliffemall123
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Allen Collins
Alex Lifeson
Gary Rossington
Malcom Young

Gorey_Sabbath
09-14-2006, 05:32 AM
i reckon Ritchie Blackmore os very underated

:peace:

BEEFstu914
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Malcom Young (in the shaddow of his brother)... but also i think Pete Townsend is a lil bit underrated, and David Gilmour! all 3 of them are amazing!

BrainDamage
09-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, after seeing Aerosmith last night, I am now convinced that Brad Whitford is the most underrated guitarist from any Classic Rock band.

In my opinion :)

joshsirjoshules
09-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna continue with my James Honeyman-Scott argument until one of you actually listens to him.

Sly Stone
09-16-2006, 07:38 AM
hendrix was an exellent rythym guitar player thats why he was so good a leads he knew how the notes in the chord would sound better if he played certain notes he was better known for his lead playing but he was an exellent rythym player.

I think the most underated guitar player is, John Frusciante-RHCP

ledhed68
09-16-2006, 03:26 PM
In Classic Rock? Jeez, where do I start?

- George Harrison (great songwriter, but damn, he could sure play)

- Paul Kossoff (so good that Cream era Eric Clapton asked him about how he played guitar...)

- Gary Moore (both an insanely fast and tasteful player: rare in itself. Also capable of the most beautiful and delicate guitar work, soaring, climactic instrumentals and insanely complex and powerful riffs)

- Eric Sykes (can play so well, he'll make you fill the cup and cry simultaneously)

- Fast Eddie Clarke (this guy INVENTED thrash metal for crying out loud!)

I think Gary Moore isnt underrated at all, if anything, overrated, he puts to emotion into it, if you've seen the video of him and Albert King playing Stormy Monday, you've seen Alberts face and how you can tell he hates his playing.

anyway, I think Robbie Krieger is the most underrated, he could play flamenco, blues, jazz, classical, and straight rock all wonderfully, and not to mention he wrote Love Me Two Times and Light My Fire, but he's always in Jim's shadow

Zeno666
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Robin trower is the most underrated guitarist in the world, hes practically unknown to most people and I believe him to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Tragically underrated.

The_Yoki
09-16-2006, 09:28 PM
anyway, I think Robbie Krieger is the most underrated, he could play flamenco, blues, jazz, classical, and straight rock all wonderfully, and not to mention he wrote Love Me Two Times and Light My Fire, but he's always in Jim's shadow

100% agreed.

RHCP4ever06
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
john frusciante from red hot chili peppers is awesome i think he doesnt get enough respect he is amazing ....so is alex lifeson

ledhed68
09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
^RHCP isnt cr, and hes way overrated, but im not even gonna start on why

ledzeppage
09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Brian Tatler (Diamond Head)
Tom Scholz (Boston)
John Paul Jones (Led Zep) - i know he's a bassist but he's ridiculously underrated

MickPlant
09-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Roy Buchanon
Jeff Beck

basically most bluesy guitarists are underatted, specially Roy....damn he can ****in play

Mellow Gold
09-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Andy Scott from The Sweet is really under rated. As mater of fact the whole band is really urnder rated. Do your self a favor and get the song "Man With The Golden Arm."