Arctic Monkeys

PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monkeys

Pages : [1] 2

happyslug
10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
This band seem to be getting a bit of air play in the UK.

check out the video on their website www.arcticmonkeys.com to song "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor"

Jonny_Fret
10-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Anticipated as the 'next big thing' that'll knock Franz for six! It'll be good to see what happens to them in the next few months.

leadpipes
10-02-2005, 05:21 PM
ive got seven of their demos, they are sooo good, the next libertines

Andrewbiles
10-02-2005, 05:54 PM
the next libertines

My thoughts exactly, well in terms of them being another sh*t band that gets too much attention.

DorkusMalorkus
10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
^oh...burn...they sounded like a poor mans hot hot heat to me...

Gurgle!Argh!
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
AWFULAWFULAWFULAWFUL.

i live in the rotherham area. hence everyone round me loves them. it is painful. very painful.

bobjewell87
10-03-2005, 02:16 PM

eh?

I think they're okay, they are going to be massive though either way.

Tombe
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Awful, awful band.

Tenacious_dex
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I quite like them, heard of them a while back, as some other people must have too. Especially coming from the same city as them.
I like 'Fake Tales of San Francisco'

n_map
10-04-2005, 05:04 AM
im from sheffield too and theyve been big here for some time now,i think they are awesome!tickets are goin on ebay,cos shows are selling out so fast.sold out on a ep in like less than a day here too.

silicoidous
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
im from buddy holly land texas and not many i know listen to decent music so i had no idea they were getting big...im not sure what to think about them. if they do get big i really dont see how. theyre nothing special...ha..course britney spears isnt either so its possible

nirvanarhcp
10-08-2005, 06:43 AM
I've heard the one single and thought it was brilliant. Don't know much else about them though.

onlyonehere
10-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Overrated, NME bummed, cack.

dave_mullen
10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Arctic Monkeys are bloody amazing, you guys dont know what your on about!!!
the lyrics are better than 90% of bands these days and to have awsome bass lines and an overall brilliant sound. they deserve everything they are gonna get!!
Come On Yorkshire!!!

emorhys
10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
I love them. There stuff is amazing, a great sound and talent. Especially the bassist. As a bassist myself I know that some of there songs are quite complex riffs. Aswell as that the lyrics are godly, not to mension hillarious in some of the songs.
Overall I think they're a great band, however I think they've got a heavier sound that the Libertines although I can see where your coming from.

-emorhys

RockNNotToRoll
10-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Incredible new band. Love them for similar reasons to The Libertines, the kind of hap-hazard sound and attitude, sloppy playing that relies purely on great song writing and memorable performance to pull it through. The lyrics in particular are brilliant. I think you'd probably have to be English to appreciate them though. Mardy Bum is their best track imo.

radio_schizo
10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Iv'e heard one of their songs, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Though I do dislike the way the media hypes up new bands so much.
Everythings always... "The new Led Zeppelin", "The new Joy Division" or even "The new Franz Ferdinand":confused: (For cyring out loud, FF where only new just last year!:p: )

But yeah, they sound alright. I bit over played. But I can stand them.
(I'm guessing they have better songs on their album too, as singles generally are the most commercial songs on the album)

Abe
10-17-2005, 03:50 PM

Naa, they're called The Kooks ;)

I thought the first song was alright after hearing it once. I heard another one called You'd Look Great on the Dancefloor (but not quite that, something longer) and it was utter utter cack.

IronBeard
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Overrated, NME bummed, cack.

That pretty much covers it.

arcticmonkeyman
10-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Got to say i think they're awesome!!I saw them at the Astoria a couple of weeks ago and they blew me away.Immediately downloaded about 20 tracks and love them all.Ones to watch out for: Scummy,Mardy Bum,Bigger Boys And Stolen Sweethearts.
See them if you ever get the chance you won't regret it!

arcticmonkeyman
10-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Totally argee with you.The bass is class,reminds me of The Stone Roses.And lyrically Alex and the boys kick arse!

deano_strat
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
NME bummed cack... as someone said

the only decent band to come from sheffield are Daybreak

www.myspace.com/daybreaksheff

sponj
10-20-2005, 03:57 PM
they're not awfull

buzzlikeafridge
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
**** as their name.

leaping badger
10-21-2005, 12:04 PM
heard one song from them, wasn't too bad, nothing to shout about though

marmite
10-21-2005, 03:11 PM
great band... anyone that says there crap is ignorant... there totally different from the current samey joy division/gang of four wannabie indie scene at the moment in the uk... and they sing in thier regional accent rather than fake american accents... which is kool... nothing but respect.

mmm... ice
10-21-2005, 04:28 PM
personally i think they suck theyre just another Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian or Razorlight that will blow over very soon.

tezhall
10-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmm...I've head lots about these locally, but not actually heard them...saw a ticket of theirs on eBay earlier today, single ticket, Sheffield gig (homecoming gig to end the UK tour I think, before they jet off to do Europe") and thought at £36 it's too much of a risk.

Plus there were about 5 back copies of NME came up with them in, rarely a good sign :p:

Apparently the single thats out at the mo is quite good - might blow a couple quid on it and see what the fuss is about...

Edoc'sil_Guitar
10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Never heard of them probly heard their stuff though so no opinion

we have sound
10-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Apparently the single thats out at the mo is quite good - might blow a couple quid on it and see what the fuss is about...

Just turn on the radio :o

happyslug
10-24-2005, 06:39 AM
I started this thread.

The single (Dancefloor) has stormed into the uk charts at number 1.

I didn't see that coming.

But I am proud to say I haven't lost my touch - despite my age

LazyGuitar
10-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Cack was a great description.

Stereotypically bland NME band... I reckon they must have some kinda agreement with the magazine, we'll bum you, you bum us kinda thing, because it can't simply be about the music.

tezhall
10-24-2005, 03:08 PM
heard the single on R1 today.

hm.

j0nmcc
10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
They're so over rated.

Arent they on Domino?

If so, that's the only reason why they're gonna get anyway, 'cause they're on the same label as Franz Ferdinand, and the NME will bum off it, until another band comes along.

Fair play to them, it's an achievement for a band like that to get to #1 in the charts...but you know,

tezhall
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah I heard they were on Domino.

They went soooo downhill after they lost Pavement :D

Gurgle!Argh!
10-24-2005, 03:30 PM
domino's overrated anyway, its like XL, major label in all but name. they did release trail of dead - madonna over here though, so kudos to them for that.

still, theyre a bit wank.

happyslug
10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
why can't you all just rate them on the music.

Sure if you hate the music then fine.

but stop giving a damn that nme like them or that they are on Domino.

All of that is irrelevant.

it's the music that matters - and nothing else.

j0nmcc
10-24-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah, and the music is boring.

I have A Certain Romance on my PC.

And i was just like "what is the fuss about?"

I wonder who the NME will bum next week?

Then we wont hear anything about the Artic Monkeys.

Biggs
10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Personally, I think 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor' is one of the most exciting singles of the year.

And it's not just the NME who are hyping up these lot, The Times Newspaper is too, as is practically every other media source.

Not my favourite thing around at the moment, but, a damn site better than half the stuff that's getting released, and, as I said, it is exciting.

Congratulations on them getting to number 1

thetragicflaw
10-25-2005, 05:54 AM
artic monkeys pwn... hmm i hav like all there demo stuf its great

Gurgle!Argh!
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
why can't you all just rate them on the music.

Sure if you hate the music then fine.

but stop giving a damn that nme like them or that they are on Domino.

All of that is irrelevant.

it's the music that matters - and nothing else.

yeah, and based on the music i dont like them, the whole domino thing is just a side point about how this band are a perfect example of domino going to pot/not being good in the first place.

and besides. this is the indie forum, its never just been about the music :rolleyes:

tezhall
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
:golfclap:

Well said...the longer you're here, the more you learn that the Indie forum is all about beign elitist, and having heard of them first :p:

*some or all of the above may not be true

j0nmcc
10-25-2005, 05:20 PM
damn straight tez.

jallas
10-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Urgh I really can't stand them. Loads of people round here are like in love with them and I just can't stand them. I agree with whoever said they are the next Libertines.

MiniMusicMasta
10-26-2005, 06:17 AM
They are honestly guna b huge. Their debut album is coming a out in January if tht is help to any1.

dave_mullen
10-27-2005, 05:39 AM
Arctic Monkeys - Number one in the charts, cant fault them really!!
some people just dont wanna like them cos they think they are too cool to love them like everyone else is gonna!

LazyGuitar
10-27-2005, 06:14 AM
^ Actually I just think their music sounds like shit.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 07:47 AM
No, they aint. I agree with Dave M. These guys are guna b the nxt big thing in alternative & indie music. If u don't like them, then ur guna miss out on one cool band. (So wat they are from YORKSHIRE but who cares!)

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Arctic Monkeys - Number one in the charts, cant fault them really!!
some people just dont wanna like them cos they think they are too cool to love them like everyone else is gonna!
Being number one in the charts means nothing.

Crazy Frog got there, anyone can get there.

On the band, I really do hate them.

They're nothing new, yet they're being held as the next big thing.

Typical NME-style crap.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Think that if you want! You are guna miss out. So who cares about them being in NME. You are saying there has NEVER-EVER been a good band rated or reviewed by NME coz that is just impossible.

happyslug
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
so when did this hatred of nme start?

I haven't read it in many years so can't judge.

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Think that if you want! You are guna miss out. So who cares about them being in NME. You are saying there has NEVER-EVER been a good band rated or reviewed by NME coz that is just impossible.
Pretty much never.

jallas
10-27-2005, 09:23 AM
If u don't like them, then ur guna miss out on one cool band.
No I won't miss out though. I do not like the Arctic Monkeys, therefore I will not be missing out by not listening to them.

(So wat they are from YORKSHIRE but who cares!)
:mad:
:(

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:34 AM
So NME have probably reviewed lets say, 1000 bands or artists and absolutely NONE of them are at least listenable. (aint sure if thts a word or not)

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
So NME have probably reviewed lets say, 1000 bands or artists and absolutely NONE of them are at least listenable. (aint sure if thts a word or not)
I don't want to turn this into an NME debate (although it's going that way)

But most (if not all) of the bands that I've seen reviewed have been terribly overrated.

Or bummed as someone else said.

EDIT: Taking a look at this month's issue.

Looks like that isn't going to change :rolleyes:

http://nme.com/magazine

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Ok. Give me 5 now successful or well heard of bands that have been reviewed by NME.

Gurgle!Argh!
10-27-2005, 09:43 AM
i disliked arctic monkeys before they were in any major music magazines. why? because the music is crap. its got nothing to do with their bemusing popularity, its simply that theyre an awful band, there are so many sheffield bands that are soooo much better.

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 09:44 AM
^x2Take a look at that link.

You have: Arctic Monkeys, White Stripes, Oasis, Carl Barat (Libertines I think) and Kaiser Chiefs.

All horribly overrated.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Excuse me mate, coul you say that in English. I've only just started secondary school.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Oasis are legends of music, and nothing will ever change that. The Kaiser Chiefs are guna b absolutely huge and Arctic Monkeys i have already had my say.

jallas
10-27-2005, 09:48 AM
i disliked arctic monkeys before they were in any major music magazines. why? because the music is crap. its got nothing to do with their bemusing popularity, its simply that theyre an awful band, there are so many sheffield bands that are soooo much better.
Speaking ever so quietly about Sheffield bands in a thread that's not about them, have you heard of Stoney?

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Oasis' new album is terrible and I wasn't a great fan of the older stuff either.

Kaiser Chiefs...don't really need to say anything.

Arctic Monkeys..already said what I think of them.

I mean, it's up to you what you like, I'm not disputing that, it's just my opinion.

Anywho, I'll leave you to it.

happyslug
10-27-2005, 09:50 AM
OK NME haters - lets go.

The current front cover has Arctic Monkeys, White Stripes, Carl Barats new group and Kaiser Chiefs.

So by your 'logic' all of this bands are therefor sh1t.

So instead, list 4 bands, not reviewed by NME that are great.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Yeah and the norman who started bringin NME in this should either get banned or start a new thread on magazines.( oh and by the way, if you hate NME so much, why do u read it)!

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh and Jallas, make a new thread for Stoney coz when they are in NME, sum idiot who came stormin into this thread might come over to yours.

jallas
10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Lol are you like the editor for NME or something? Why are you getting really uptight because someone off the internet said summat bad about it?

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 10:00 AM
No i am still in 2ndry school u norman. If i was i'd b a millionaire. Coz arctic monkees are guna b quality, sum1 said they were in NME so they wud b shockin, then i tried to prove every1 wrong by provin at least a couple of good bands had been reviewed by NME.

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 10:02 AM
^x2Haha

Woah. Ok.

I don't read NME for a start.

And really, why do you care about NME so much, jeez.

Ohkay, I'm gonna go in a minute, before I get a warning for spamming or something or other.

OK NME haters - lets go.

The current front cover has Arctic Monkeys, White Stripes, Carl Barats new group and Kaiser Chiefs.

So by your 'logic' all of this bands are therefor sh1t.
Exactly.

jallas
10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Okay "norman". A "good" band is jsut opinion anyway. You think the arctic monkeys are good, I think they're crap. Just because I think they are rubbish doesn't mean they are rubbish. An opinion is not a fact. Similarly, just because you think they're ace doesn't mean they are a good band.

MiniMusicMasta
10-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Okay. i have said wat i have wanted to say so i shall go.

tezhall
10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
yay :D

Nobody has ever said they were crap because they are in NME. A lot of people have said they are crap and are in NME. Big difference.

Heard the song again today, back to topic - it's gotten no better. The part-time student at work also tried to get "in" with me by saying how good Arctic Monkeys are :rolleyes:

happyslug
10-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Come on Tezhall, you've said it yourself "Plus there were about 5 back copies of NME came up with them in, rarely a good sign "

What you are saying is if NME like them they are crap.

Also lazyguitar said "Stereotypically bland NME band"

You say "A lot of people have said they are crap and are in NME. Big difference." - no there isn't, otherwise NME would not need to be mentioned - the whole fact that people on this link say "they are sh1t" and "nme" in the same sentence is to show that they believe that if NME like (or bum as is often said) a band, then people in this forum are not allowed to like them - because after all, as has been said "this is the indie forum" - meaning "we only like stuff no one else does"

god_luvs_a_trya
10-28-2005, 08:21 AM
gonna be huge! Sun goes down, mardy bum, a certain romance & fake tales of san francisco are great tunes! downlead em!

Foo'
10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
I've listened to them and I like 'Fake Tales...', but thats about it. I think that the current 'hit' deserves the prefix of 's'.

Boaby Jake
10-28-2005, 08:32 AM
That is such a good song
they sing it really well in a kinda strange way

KamikazeCal
10-28-2005, 01:25 PM
The Arctic monkeys are amazing and best of all their from BRITAIN

tezhall
10-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Come on Tezhall, you've said it yourself "Plus there were about 5 back copies of NME came up with them in, rarely a good sign "

What you are saying is if NME like them they are crap.

You say "A lot of people have said they are crap and are in NME. Big difference." - no there isn't, otherwise NME would not need to be mentioned - the whole fact that people on this link say "they are sh1t" and "nme" in the same sentence is to show that they believe that if NME like (or bum as is often said) a band, then people in this forum are not allowed to like them - because after all, as has been said "this is the indie forum" - meaning "we only like stuff no one else does"

Few things to clear up here....

1) Thats not hat I'm saying - my point is that the taste of the NME is usually way different to mine, with a few rare exceptions such as Bloc Party, but in general if I'm looking at an overpriced ticket on eBay, and it's followed by a pile of back copies of NME, then it's "rarely a good sign" - try to at least quote me in context please ;)

2) Lazy is just as entitled to his opinion on stuff as you and I are - the difference is, he and I just stated our opinion, wheread you throw ours back in our faces as an attempt to defend the band we're not liking. I'm not sure how that would ever work lol

3) Why are you at all surprised that the NME got mentioned on a public discussion forum about a band that they're currently raving about? If we weren't allowed to actually comment on related issues to the band, these threads would be pretty short and consist of "yes" or "no" and not much else.

4) I think you should go take another look at the thread where I said that, and get the joke this time ;)

:cheers:

fronkpies
10-28-2005, 01:45 PM
there on later with jools holland tonight if anyoen is inttrested

onlyonehere
10-29-2005, 02:04 PM
No, they aint. I agree with Dave M. These guys are guna b the nxt big thing in alternative & indie music. If u don't like them, then ur guna miss out on one cool band. (So wat they are from YORKSHIRE but who cares!)

No, they're really not. They're going to be big for a year maybe tops. Then everyone will stop bumming them and we'll all be here having a debate as to whether "The Band You All Love To Hate To Love To...What?" are going to be huge or not. Everything's oh so formulatic these days, it's rather depressing.

Interiors
10-30-2005, 11:05 AM
As much as I hate NME I do quite like The Artic Monkeys. I think generally it's a sort of marmite type music. I like some of their riffs mind, despite the fact i think the second guitarist is a bit pointless.

LazyGuitar
10-31-2005, 07:18 AM

Exsqueeze me?

From what i've heard, I think Arctic Monkeys make bland, unimaginative music. Opinion. Take it, reject it, just comprehend the word, "opinion". I'm not going to argue with my ear, just because they got to number 1... my ear isn't based upon anyone's opinions but my own.

The NME comment comes from the fact that every time i've seen that magazine, it's been featuring a band that I also consider to be bland, unimaginative "alt by numbers" music. The bands are the shit things in question, NME just happens to be a magazine that embraces and constantly features all these crappy "flavour of the month" bands. Which makes NME, in my opinion, "a shit hugger".

Think about it... the bands NME features several times are predominantly ones I consider not to have lastability and depth beyond their initial hype. Therefore, I can class bands as "stereotypically NME", based on my ear, experience and opinions. That phrase to YOU may mean they rock, since you adore such bands. Good on you, go for it.

You can adore NME, adore Franz Ferdinand, the Actic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, The Darkness etc etc... i'm not going to attack your opinion, but i'll happily state my own independantly. Which is exactly what you seem to be unable to do.

"Hmm, I want to say I like them, but some other people have opposing views... I must first attack theirs in order to make mine seem more important and relevant".

No i am still in 2ndry school u norman.

Oh my good lord. "Norman"... you sure you've reached secondary school?! :confused:

tezhall
10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
:haha

EfilsGod
11-01-2005, 04:35 AM
I have to say I agree that the artic monkeys are SERIOUSLY overrated, they're OK but they only got a No. 1 cos Jo Wiley started telling everyone they were really good and people are idiots. There are many many much better British bands out there at the moment and anyone who says there aren't doesn't know what they are talking about. Also with that NME ****e, I used to think it was quite a good magazine until I couldn't read it anymore because their heads had dissapeared up the Libertines asses, another completely overrated band only really famous cos the Sun has done lots of stories about Pete Dohety's drug addiction.
Well thats me letting off some steam.

Those whom say no-one else writes good lyircs
"My eyes are camera's my feelings film/ one hour to develop into my own news reel"
Quality from the departure and listen to ANYTHING EVER WRITTEN by Idlewild and its 1000000X better than anything the Artic Monkeys have come out with lyrically.

Alarming Carrot
11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
The Arctic Monkeys are exactly like the rest of NME created, UK scene; boring and overused. Are they still going nuts with Babyshambles, by the way(haven't read them in months) or did they hear their single and realize they should give it up?

slashh
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
arctic monkeys are really good i think, but i dont want them to get hyped up too much, i dont think any one does. does anyone no if theyre doing any gigs in ireland anytime?

Andrewbiles
11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
^ You do realise that the majority of people who listen to them have already fallen for the hype, don't you?

RobbieMac2002
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I've listened to them and I like 'Fake Tales...', but thats about it. I think that the current 'hit' deserves the prefix of 's'.

'Si bet that you look good on the dancefloor'?

:confused:

jallas
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Indeed I think Si does.

But I think he meant prefix to 'hit'.

bobjewell87
11-03-2005, 03:26 PM
'Si bet that you look good on the dancefloor'?

:confused:

Robert mackeral, reply to my PM you beast.

fuzzybunny
11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I think they're horrible... That stupid song about a dancefloor has been played to death. It's the sort of thing that gets played in clubs even though its completely the wrong thing to be played. Every time it comes on now, at least one of my flatmates dives for the radio in the living room to turn it off before disaster ensues and we're once again exposed to the Arctic bloody Monkeys.

Just the way they're recorded annoys me... It's as if the drums have been turned up and the bass turned down to make it sound like noise... Repetitive and monotonous.

Blech.

robbie
11-13-2005, 09:31 AM
**** as their name.

Oh? So more imaginative than all the bands called "The Somethings"??

Of course, having said that I love The Cribs, The Libertines, The Blood Arm and loads of other bands called The Somethings...

So, yeh... anyway Arctic Monkeys are quite good, especially Mardy Bum and A Certain Romance. :o :o

duncang
11-13-2005, 05:31 PM
I guess I kind of followed the hype, but I totally love every single Arctic Monkeys song I've heard, and thats about 7. They are the next Libertines, but Alex Turner is NOT the next Pete Doherty, so I doubt they will implode anytime soon.

rochey
11-13-2005, 05:50 PM
cant stop playin the artic monkeys, savage lyrics, original distinctive voice of lead singer, why some people dont like them is beyond me, scummy and certain romance i am playin most. rock on

Sc0tt
11-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I just don't think they're good at all. I don't see why a lot like them, to be honest. :-\

WashburnMan
11-13-2005, 06:49 PM
stupid!

sential
11-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm a little late...I just heard them today... not bad

Tenacious_dex
11-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I just found out today my friend interviewed a couple of them for her radio show. I envy her. Apparently they were nice people.

vampires
11-17-2005, 07:01 PM
They are good, but they are not THAT good. catchy choons tho

DeSean
11-26-2005, 07:49 AM
I love them. My favourite songs are: Scummy, Fake Tales of San Fransisco, Mardy Bum, and From Ritz to Rubble.

Muse(ic) ROCKS!
12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
any one that has heard when the sun goes down, mardy bum, ritz to the rubble and a certain romance cannot describe this band as ****. they reach number one with one of their worst songs-i think thats saying a lot.

Andrewbiles
12-08-2005, 09:46 AM
They reach number one because nowhere stops shoving them in your face. If you put any song on all media that has a poppy sound as much as that track got then it's going to get to #1 these days.
This latest song's even worse. Why do people like them?

kryptonite22
12-08-2005, 10:06 AM
^ People like them because the NME likes them, I miagine.

The first song isn't my cup of tea. Sometimes I'm down the Uni club and it comes on, and it's alright because it gets everyone dancing, but it's really not something I would then come home and listen to. Another band who really don't justify the praise and hype lumped upon them. If the current climate wasn't so indie-orientated, then they wouldn't be famous.

Lewis55
12-10-2005, 11:31 AM
they are quality!!!!

nulre
12-12-2005, 07:32 AM
^ People like them because the NME likes them, I miagine.

Or maybe you don't like them because NME likes them?

I thought they were great when I saw them and I had no idea about who they were 'till I read a review of the concert. I don't read NME or any other music magazines. How old are they? They looked really young.

Mad Adam
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
i dont understand all the hype around the monkeys. there not all bad but there not that good either. just another bad Blur

slashh
12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Or maybe you don't like them because NME likes them?

I thought they were great when I saw them and I had no idea about who they were 'till I read a review of the concert. I don't read NME or any other music magazines. How old are they? They looked really young.

They're 19, apart from one who is 20, and they were stupid to release that song first, they have lots more far superior songs

gazgazgaz
12-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Exsqueeze me?

From what i've heard, I think Arctic Monkeys make bland, unimaginative music. Opinion. Take it, reject it, just comprehend the word, "opinion". I'm not going to argue with my ear, just because they got to number 1... my ear isn't based upon anyone's opinions but my own.

The NME comment comes from the fact that every time i've seen that magazine, it's been featuring a band that I also consider to be bland, unimaginative "alt by numbers" music. The bands are the shit things in question, NME just happens to be a magazine that embraces and constantly features all these crappy "flavour of the month" bands. Which makes NME, in my opinion, "a shit hugger".

Think about it... the bands NME features several times are predominantly ones I consider not to have lastability and depth beyond their initial hype. Therefore, I can class bands as "stereotypically NME", based on my ear, experience and opinions. That phrase to YOU may mean they rock, since you adore such bands. Good on you, go for it.

You can adore NME, adore Franz Ferdinand, the Actic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, The Darkness etc etc... i'm not going to attack your opinion, but i'll happily state my own independantly. Which is exactly what you seem to be unable to do.

"Hmm, I want to say I like them, but some other people have opposing views... I must first attack theirs in order to make mine seem more important and relevant".

Oh my good lord. "Norman"... you sure you've reached secondary school?! :confused:

i see your point but your wrong. realy wrong. you have no idea, about this band. their just kids, n they have 25 album worthy tracks 10 single worthy tracks, i seriously think that their next single will be a number 1 (sun goes down), and if n when they release a certain romance will also be number 1. i also appreciate gd music has nuthing to do with chart positioning, that is simply to let u know they wont be short lived.
please dont compare them to franz , kaiser chiefs, or the ****ing darkness, if that is your opinion u clearly no nowt about the band, im nt 2 sure u cud have possibly listened to their music if ur comparing them to electro pop, rerleasing, long-haired, chipmonk singhin losers. the mnkys are just real ppl of our generation (of mine at least im 16, i can understand ur view more if ur 35) bt its real music with honest lyrics where no words would fit better, please dont judge them before u hear a certain romance.
they will not be short lived beleive me, they could release a second album with the sngs that they keft of the original and it would stil sell. iv eherd they have a couple of new tracks since making the album.
This band alot better than u hav given them credit 4 beleive me. theyll be around in ten years time. gaz

i dont understand all the hype around the monkeys. there not all bad but there not that good either. just another bad Blur

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!!!! i cant recall any blur sngthat related so instantly to the youth on an important level. (ie nt talking about boys who like girls who like ****ing boys, y nt call the ****ing sng hetrosexualism) the monkeys are great, they talk about real life with a great baseline and humour, bt nt so much 2 make em a novelty band.
u hear about their astoria gig?

Yeah and the norman who started bringin NME in this should either get banned or start a new thread on magazines.( oh and by the way, if you hate NME so much, why do u read it)!

lol! exactly. sumhow i think they dont, but judge the cover by what ever band they see.

jallas
12-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah but... that's all your opinion, no?

their just kids, n they have 25 album worthy tracks 10 single worthy tracks,
*they're ;)
that's your opinion, not a fact. IMO all their songs suck. I've heard the album and I hate it. I absolutely do. But Just because I do not like their songs one tiny little bit doesn't mean that all the songs are a piece of crap, but similarly just because you relaly like the Monkeys doesn't auto make them a band of genius. It's all opinion, not fact.

i seriously think that their next single will be a number 1
so what? Crazy frog was #1: there is no relation between quality of songs and high chart position.

please dont compare them to franz , kaiser chiefs, or the ****ing darkness
Why not? They are bands of a similar genre, that genre being alternative or indie (except maybe the Darkness who are more modern rock). Sure, you can't compare bands of different genres, like y'know, Pantera and Pink Floyd, but you can within the genre itself :)
Besides, was Lazy actually comparing them? From what I can see, he was pointing out the names of bands that get on NME covers :confused:

if that is your opinion u clearly no nowt about the band, im nt 2 sure u cud have possibly listened to their music if ur comparing them to electro pop, rerleasing, long-haired, chipmonk singhin losers
But... you're just doing to Franz, Kaisers etc. exactly what you're bitching about in your post.

(of mine at least im 16,
So english is still a compulsory subject in school no?

bt its real music with honest lyrics where no words would fit better, please dont judge them before u hear a certain romance.
One song does not change one's whole mind about a band. Sure, there are bands that I really don't like but I perhaps quite like one song, but that doesn't make me magically fall in lvoe with the band. For instance, Coldplay. I do actually hate them, but I quite like the song Trouble. Fair enoug if you like the music and lyrics of Arctic Monkeys, but not everybody else does. Another example: I love the lyrics of bright Eyes. But does everyone? No. Do I think that everyone should? No.

they will not be short lived beleive me, they could release a second album with the sngs that they keft of the original and it would stil sell.
Opinion. IMO they will be short lived, and in yours they won't. We can't say for sure whether they will be or not, I can't predict the future.

iv eherd they have a couple of new tracks since making the album.
Uhh... so do a lot of bands.

This band alot better than u hav given them credit 4 beleive me. theyll be around in ten years time.
We'll see ;)

i cant recall any blur sngthat related so instantly to the youth on an important level.
:haha really? Yeah i know what you mean, Blur weren't about the youth at all. Nope with them it was all hidden depth meanings and subtley clever old-fashioned lyrics about the seriousness of life.

(I do love Blur btw)

Now, my fingers are tired from typing [quote] :(

j0nmcc
12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
honestly, i bet that you look crap on the dancefloor.

thats what it s hould be called.

here, here.

Andrewbiles
12-24-2005, 11:12 AM
This band alot better than u hav given them credit 4 beleive me. theyll be around in ten years time. gaz

u hear about their astoria gig?

If they're around for another 10 years I seriously hope they get better, otherwise the state of sanity amongst the British public is worse than I thought.
Do tell about this Astoria gig. What did it do? Sell out? People sung along to songs? Blimey.
The only thing that I can appreciate about them is the line, "dance like a robot from 1984". If the latest piece of crap also gets to #1 then this country has gone insane. Even though I didn't exactly enjoy it, the first single at least had some sense to the way it went and the way everything fitted together, this latest one's seriously one of the worst things I've heard in years.

I don't understand how they got the way they did. I say destroy purevolume, destroy myspace, and most importantly, destroy P2P programs! Let the human race die with some dignity.

sly-monkey
12-24-2005, 04:02 PM
This band seem to be getting a bit of air play in the UK.

check out the video on their website www.arcticmonkeys.com to song "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor"

Northern indie thats a new one.

my mum from sheffield says its good cause its northern

meh must be a northan thing

and on topic yeh they ok.

boothy
12-25-2005, 05:37 AM
My thoughts exactly, well in terms of them being another sh*t band that gets too much attention.

Maybe in your opinion, but personally I love the Libertines.

And on the subject as Artic Monkeys - I like them so far too, it will be interesting to see how the album turns out. "Scumy Man" is probably my favourite song (I forgot the proper title)

j0nmcc
12-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Northern indie thats a new one.

my mum from sheffield says its good cause its northern

meh must be a northan thing

and on topic yeh they ok.

sheffield isn't even that north.

if they were from newcastle or something..then yeah

rleungz
12-26-2005, 02:02 PM
dont like them !

armitage_cake
12-26-2005, 04:45 PM
The lead singer said "By February, it'll be cool to hate us." - XD

This band haven't released an album yet, and have sold out at every major gig they've played. Including the London Astoria. No body has done that since the Beatles. Like them or not, they are going to be huuuuuuuuuge. They're already headlining the NME awards, and they kicked ass at festivals this year.

Brilliant lyrics, catchy songs. So yeah if you hate them then it's kinda tough cos they're here to stay.

Andrewbiles
12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Including the London Astoria. No body has done that since the Beatles.

Not being stupid, but that's not impressive (at least in my eyes). They've probably played two "major" shows at the most, and The Darkness even sold out The Astoria (and that was before they were signed). Now look at the Darkness. Are they good? No, they're really not. That basically sums up my opinion.

I am Samuel
12-27-2005, 12:28 AM
The Arctic Monkeys are terrible, 90% of their original fanbase were members of the cursed Libertines forum. I've hated them since the beginning and my opinion hasn't changed, although many are beginning to realise just how awful they are.

Incidently, one night at FROG I slammed the door in the singer's face in the gents, TWICE! It was accidental and I turned around to say sorry but didn't when I saw who it was. He was wearing a hoodie with his hood up looking like an absolute twat.

boothy
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
^Oh well, you don't like his music, so therefore you do have the right to slam a door in his face and issue no apologie... right? Pillock.

tezhall
12-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Incidently, one night at FROG I slammed the door in the singer's face in the gents, TWICE! It was accidental and I turned around to say sorry but didn't when I saw who it was. He was wearing a hoodie with his hood up looking like an absolute twat.
Let me buy you a beer :cheers: :golfclap:

JC 2K3
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
They aren't as bland as most of the studff out there. I thought they were quite good when I heard them first, although they do get fairly boring and repetitive after a few listens. However, they're better than the likes of Franz Ferdinand etc.

chrisfishlock
12-30-2005, 06:13 AM
they are truely amazing number 1 with there debut single here in the uk

jallas
12-30-2005, 07:06 AM
That doesn't show anything though, I know this example is way overused but it just shows a good point: didn't the Crazy Frog get to #1 with its debut single as well?

deano_strat
12-30-2005, 08:00 AM
a love for lyrics, cant complain at them for that, theyre doing what our band does, but we do it a more sublte poetic form - moan and bitch about bein young, about scallies, about girls... their no nonsense tell it like it is attack, doesnt hold much artistic merit but appeals to... the kids.

hence - number one

_caro_
12-30-2005, 12:18 PM
i like them.. i'm looking forward to see them february the 26th in Amsterdam (holland)

Lee.S07
12-31-2005, 06:27 AM
best band for a good 10 years i can tell ya that for free.

tezhall
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM
best band for a good 10 years i can tell ya that for free.

And I can tell you for free that you haven't listened to much decent in the past 10 years if these are the best thing you've found. Seriously, I rate David Sneddon above these.

pumpkins_rule
12-31-2005, 11:33 AM
I just downloaded The Dancefloor song, and it's pretty catchy. Living in Canada, it's the first time I've ever heard this song so I guess I can understand how it might get overplayed like Take me Out once did. I'm still checking out the album though.

EDIT: I've only listened to it three times, and already it's getting old.

Lee.S07
01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
DAVID SNEDDON? thats an insult! :)

also how much of their music have you actually listened to? because i am thinking that you've listened to the one song you heard on the radio and set your mind on not liking them

Gurgle!Argh!
01-05-2006, 03:17 PM
^i love how AM fans seem to think everyone who dislikes them hasnt heard much by them. trust me, i probably heard them and disliked them before you were even aware they existed. i have heard plenty of songs by them, and, unsurprisingly, i dont like them.

Lee.S07
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
wat is am supposed to be al about?

Andrewbiles
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
wat is am supposed to be al about?

Not really much of a fan then are you?

Lee.S07
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
no i asked wat am ment

Svetlana
01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I knew these guys way before they got popular and I had a little CD with some of their songs with Kaisechiefs and Bloc Party. I loved it. I don't like them now, cause they're to popular!

tezhall
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
no i asked wat am ment
Lets see.....in relation to Arctic Monkeys.....what could AM possibly mean....AM....Arctic Monkeys....

AHA!

It's clearly Anal Masochists, referring to the people that listen to their terrible, crappy songs.

:D

Lee.S07
01-07-2006, 02:41 PM
sorry stupid question but ive never heard of anyone call them am and i am from the same town as the band.

we'll just have to agree to disagree, you dont like them and i do:)

jallas
01-08-2006, 06:08 AM
I'm pretty sure he was just abbreviating "Arctic Monkeys" so as to save typing it out... y'know, like say if there was a WHOLE thread all about this one band, and he abbreviated the band to their first 2 letters, in this case "AM" (which btw he put in capitals, no am because then I agree it would be confusing, but since it was in capitals no it was not confusing), then you'da thought you might get it?

Yeah? Like say we were chitchatting about Franz Ferdinand for a few pages ona forum, and someone comes in and says "Oh I love FF! They're really great!"... it's kinda obvious what he'd be on about, no?

sorry stupid question but ive never heard of anyone call them am and i am from the same town as the band.
Gahhh it's not a case of "Oh well I've never heard 'em called that even though OMG I'm from the same town as them (btw so is Gurgle!Argh! ;)) so it's not my fault". Nobody ever said it was a "nickname" for the band, just an abbreviation. To save typing it all out. Duhhhhh.

Domo the Bomo
01-08-2006, 07:46 AM
these guys are the ****in best band since the early libertines stuff.
so gd
best songs are scummy, bigger boys, fake tales of san francisco, a certain romance and cigerrete smoke cant wait 4 the album.
Up urs arctic monkey no likers.

matty666
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Awful, awful band.

why? please explain

radiofight202
01-08-2006, 09:07 PM
i like fake tales of sf

looking forward to the album

Lee.S07
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
wat is with the argumentative lot? i mean, you can't make a comment they don't agree with because then you'd be in trouble, but make sure you don't make a mistake, they'll write a 2 million word essay on what you've done wrong.

calm down people!

MiniMusicMasta
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Bought the album on tuesday.

Best buy i have made in my life. honestly, they are awesome.

beatallica_fan
01-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I love the album, its superb, the illiteracy of the other AM fans is a bit of a worry though.

onlyonehere
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
The album is pure crap. My mum bought it and I honestly think i've heard better "music" coming from a bag of cats being repeatedly hurled against a brick wall.

IRA4ever
01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
heard the album and its awesome but i still think that FF and maximo park and the libertines which were the last british-hypemachine-bands are better

kryptonite22
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
The album is pure crap. My mum bought it and I honestly think i've heard better "music" coming from a bag of cats being repeatedly hurled against a brick wall. So where have you been hearing this 'music'? It wasn't your backyard was it? Don't make me call the RSPCA, Miranda :p:

I read the article on the front page about how Arctic Monkeys were (reportedly) offered a third-from-headline slot at Reading/Leeds 06, but refused because they thought they deserved to be higher. What utter wank. No doubt they'll be headlining the bloody NME stage. Such a joke.

IThinkNot
01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Haha, all you Brits are so silly. Life is so much simpler here in America with no NME.

rogue.orchid
01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
yeh i agree with previous post - nme must be the most bullsh*t thing to have... someone should start a petition to tell everyone not to read it because i hear nothing but 'oh yeah nme hyped them up and there crap'.
i used to go on the website till i realised that every bands page i went to it had the libertines in the similar bands list...
god damn it it is a peice of crap...

this kinda sh*t wont get big in australia...

ohdarn323
01-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I like their album...nothing groundbreakingly spectacular, but it's growing on me. In my opinion, the majority of this negativity towards them is a direct response to their success, not their music and so people shove them aside as "awful". They're not.

IronBeard
01-31-2006, 10:54 AM
For the record, I don't hate them because they're popular or successful. I hate them because I think they're tedious, unimaginative, unoriginal and unexciting. In short, I think they are indeed "awful".

alliwant
01-31-2006, 12:06 PM
These guys are awesome, brilliant album, the guy has a brilliant voice. They'll be big. Real big.

ibanez901
01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
im digging their new cd....i just hope they dont' overplay them on a particular station im thinking of (top40) ....uh....i like that song "mardy Bum" ...it kicks ass.

StrongBad
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
The stateside buzz for these guys is practically uncontainable.

"Dancefloor" is great...plus they're cheeky monkeys; just look at the album title/ album photo. There's nothing the Americans like more than snobbish brits.

So bring on the swagger!! Its about time we got it again.

j0nmcc
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
im digging their new cd....i just hope they dont' overplay them on a particular station im thinking of (top40) ....uh....i like that song "mardy Bum" ...it kicks ass.

you're three months too late.

2slick2
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Im from germany and i just decided to download some of their songs after I read an interesting album review on the UG frontpage...totally coincidental, i had never heard of them in my life. Just dled a few songs expecting nothing much and I was very impressed. I have to add they I have never in my life been a fan of a so called Indie band or those other brit bands that come and go like the tide...

Without ever even knowing they are hyped in the UK I was immediatly hooked....Scummy, A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum, Dancing Shoes and Bigger Boys are great songs to me. You guys are musicians, dont you at least appreciate the great basslines or the quite imaginative guitar riffs? Ok the guitar solos are a little lame sometimes, but they will grow over time. I see a lot of potential!

I admit, knowing that they are hyped in the UK, does kind of turn me off. But I will try not to think about that and Ill continue to listen to their music if I enjoy it...cause thats what its all about after all right? Not the hype, not the image of a band, but you personally enjoying music.

ohdarn323
02-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Well said.

tezhall
02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
^ I know all that, I agree with all that, and I still really, really don't like them

But thanks for patronising me like I'm 2 ****ing years old, that always helps :cheers:

ohdarn323
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Nobody attacked you personally.

Andrewbiles
02-03-2006, 06:53 AM
:( Got it through with my album club stuff today, it's heading straight back tomorrow morning. There was an interesting piece of information that came with it though, their band name wasn't even original and they named themselves after one of their dad's old bands from the 70's. Makes you wonder if they took their dad's songs as well doesn't it?

duncang
02-03-2006, 07:19 AM
My friend found a copy of the album at school, just FOUND it.

So now he's copying 50 CD's so that not so many people buy it:p:

But I love them, I just don't want the dizzying sales getting to their heads (which I think is pretty likely)

Sgt_Pepper27
02-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Love Them.

Allyrox
02-05-2006, 08:49 AM
I dont have a clue how anyone can say they are 'unoriginal'. Name a band with a sound like theirs, lyrics like theirs. Whatever. You just think your all 'artsy' and 'alternative' and too cool to like anything thats remotely popular in the UK. Just cos they had a number one dont make them crap.They are fresh and new, and their sound is amazing. I love them.

slashh
02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
:( Got it through with my album club stuff today, it's heading straight back tomorrow morning. There was an interesting piece of information that came with it though, their band name wasn't even original and they named themselves after one of their dad's old bands from the 70's. Makes you wonder if they took their dad's songs as well doesn't it?

No not at all... stop trying to find reasons not to like tem u tit! So what they didnt thinkthe name up themselves, seriously, who the **** cares! They are brilliant and not one of the songs on the album sound the same, they are all fantastic songs in thier own way. I garantee you that if this band wasn't as popular as they are then most of u arctic monkey haters would love them!!!

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I dont have a clue how anyone can say they are 'unoriginal'. Name a band with a sound like theirs, lyrics like theirs. Whatever. You just think your all 'artsy' and 'alternative' and too cool to like anything thats remotely popular in the UK. Just cos they had a number one dont make them crap.They are fresh and new, and their sound is amazing. I love them.
Now I haven't listened it a while...but I thought they sounded like a crappy hot hot heat.

MattDaviesFFAF
02-05-2006, 10:40 AM
No not at all... stop trying to find reasons not to like tem u tit! So what they didnt thinkthe name up themselves, seriously, who the **** cares! They are brilliant and not one of the songs on the album sound the same, they are all fantastic songs in thier own way. I garantee you that if this band wasn't as popular as they are then most of u arctic monkey haters would love them!!!

No, I'm afraid that's all complete rubbish.

Andrew is cool and kicks your ass.

deal with it.

I can like popular music; I love radiohead, a very big band. The fact of the matter is that the Arctic Monkeys are rubbish and completely unoriginal. Exactly the same as an unlimited amount of bands.

:p:

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM

Andrew knows his shit. Leave him alone...

(not that you have to know your shit to know that the Arctic Monkeys are lame)

slashh
02-05-2006, 11:11 AM
oooo i see "andrew" and his mates are ganging up on me! Why dont u nerds get alife and find some real friends who AREN'T on the internet.... LOSERS!!

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2006, 11:26 AM
oooo i see "andrew" and his mates are ganging up on me! Why dont u nerds get alife and find some real friends who AREN'T on the internet.... LOSERS!!
Why did you put that in quotes?
You're the one fighting so hard to prove to some random internet people that the Arctic Monkeys are a good band.
Good ending...really...

the_astronaut
02-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Why did you put that in quotes?
You're the one fighting so hard to prove to some random internet people that the Arctic Monkeys are a good band.
Good ending...really...
Owned in rainbow.

I'd go with Andrew on this one.

They suck. Hard.

slashh
02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
you know... i have a feeling none of u's would be attacking me if hadn't used "andrew's" quote.... jeez louise! Who is he anyway? The leader of the bum brigade!! You guys need to get a life! And dont give me any bull**** about me being just as bad as u's, I'm 14, live in the middle of nowhere with nothing better to do! And still i rarely go into these forums!! You're gonna look back on this in about 10 years and be embarassed!! :p:

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
you know... i have a feeling none of u's would be attacking me if hadn't used "andrew's" quote.... jeez louise! Who is he anyway? The leader of the bum brigade!! You guys need to get a life! And dont give me any bull**** about me being just as bad as u's, I'm 14, live in the middle of nowhere with nothing better to do! And still i rarely go into these forums!! You're gonna look back on this in about 10 years and be embarassed!! :p:
Andrew is the moderator...We would attack you because what you said was dumb nonetheless.

I'd be embarrassed how? By the maturity?

Andrewbiles
02-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I like plenty of popular bands/musicians and have done for more years than you've been alive so don't you try and tell me what bands I should and shouldn't like.
The fact that they're unoriginal, completely over-rated due to hype, stuck up their own asses and crap are enough reasons for me not to like a band. Whether they're popular or not is really of no interest to me, especially as I had heard of them before they had a #1 song or before they had every 12 year old in the country buying their album and didn't like them then.

Who is he anyway? The leader of the bum brigade!! You guys need to get a life! And dont give me any bull**** about me being just as bad as u's, I'm 14, live in the middle of nowhere with nothing better to do! And still i rarely go into these forums!! You're gonna look back on this in about 10 years and be embarassed!! :p:

Why yes, yes I am :rolleyes:
Why should you care how I've spent my life? Music is my life, whether it be on a night out, my Uni course, what I spend my money on, and the fact that I (and others) enjoy talking about music and guitars is of no concern to you if you don't.

slashh
02-05-2006, 03:02 PM
is'nt this tread about the arctic monkeys? I've had enough of u...

jamiecallaghan
02-05-2006, 03:41 PM
OH MY GOD.

If you people can't appreciate incredible rock music, why are you even on this forum? Arctic monkeys are ground breaking. Their album was the fastest selling debut album in the U.K....ever.

Arctic Monkeys -> unoriginal. Okay, thats.....not true....Thats like me saying the beatles were unoriginal.

You people seem to dislike them because they are popular:
STOP BEING SO STUPID. THE MUSIC IS GOOD AND THATS THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE MAKING BOLLOCKS BANDS GET PUBLICITY. AND NOW IM PISSED OFF.

Im calm now. Okay, so you lot say all these things: they are unoriginal etc etc. Erm, can any of you back up any of the things you have said?

They are amazing, proof of this is i recently tried to buy a ticket to a gig in the Midlands, on their tour of the country. The tickets, nationally, sold out in 3 minutes. Thats about 100,000 people ( i was one of them ) frantically trying to buy tickets to see, arguably, the best band of the century so far.

I rest my case.

Jamie

MattDaviesFFAF
02-05-2006, 03:58 PM
OH MY GOD.

If you people can't appreciate incredible rock music, why are you even on this forum? Arctic monkeys are ground breaking. Their album was the fastest selling debut album in the U.K....ever.

Wait, we don't like the Arctic Monkies so we don't appreciate good music? Roflwaffle.

Tue es retard.

Arctic Monkeys -> unoriginal. Okay, thats.....not true....Thats like me saying the beatles were unoriginal.

:haha I don't like the Beatles but I know that they are nothing like AM. They are not original at all.

What's original about them? Well?

Retard

They are amazing, proof of this is i recently tried to buy a ticket to a gig in the Midlands, on their tour of the country. The tickets, nationally, sold out in 3 minutes. Thats about 100,000 people ( i was one of them ) frantically trying to buy tickets to see, arguably, the best band of the century so far.

So, if a band is popular they must be good? http://67.18.37.17/2140/57/emo/smiley_rofl.gif What about Britney Spears? S Club 7? Pussycat Dolls? Busted? All that bollocks?

yeah, retard.

Now, where's that Irish person...

I won't ever bother quoting him.

You're also a retard and really embaressing.

jamiecallaghan
02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
erm, well you havent backed up your arguement, so Im still happy

ps, I am in fact not mentally retarded.

Andrewbiles
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Im calm now. Okay, so you lot say all these things: they are unoriginal etc etc. Erm, can any of you back up any of the things you have said?

Please tell me how you think they're original and then I (and I'm sure others) will try and prove you wrong. To me they're just a garage rock band that's taken some classic rock influences and obsessed over The Libertines in their teenage years, I hear nothing new in their music.

j0nmcc
02-05-2006, 05:08 PM
So, if a band is popular they must be good? http://67.18.37.17/2140/57/emo/smiley_rofl.gif What about Britney Spears? S Club 7? Pussycat Dolls? Busted? All that bollocks?

yeah, retard.

#

not to against you or anything mate, but Air hostess was a bit of a tune... ;)

DorkusMalorkus
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
OH MY GOD.

STOP BEING SO STUPID. THE MUSIC IS GOOD AND THATS THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE MAKING BOLLOCKS BANDS GET PUBLICITY. AND NOW IM PISSED OFF.

I rest my case.

Jamie
THat doesn't mean they are good. That means they are popular
Don't tell me, or anyone else for that matter, why I (or they) don't like things.
Learn the difference between popular and good music.
Does that even make sense?

I think they are unoriginal and generic. My proof... They sound like Hot Hot Heat to me and sound like things I hear on the radio. I bet, from what Andrew says, they sound like the Libertines too, although I have never listened to them.

Anyway the bottom line...get over it. We dislike them, and really think that they are a bad band. That isn't stopping you from liking them. But stop acting like them being a good band is a fact. It isn't a fact. It is your opinion. And we have our opinion.

MattDaviesFFAF
02-05-2006, 05:28 PM
#

not to against you or anything mate, but Air hostess was a bit of a tune... ;)

Haha, ok.

Just pulling examples out of my ass there.

onlyonehere
02-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I think this sums up the idiocy of an AM fan

OH MY GOD.

Yes...they may be ground breaking but that doesn't make their music "incredible". It just reitterates the fact that the British public are in fact sheep.

Erm...no. Saying the AM are unoriginal is like saying the Darkness are unoriginal.. ie. a perfectly logical and apt statement. The AM are nothing new, they're nothing groundbreaking. The fact is that like The Libertines, The Killers, The Kaiser Chiefs and countless other bands before before and after them, the NME has managed to turn a mere average band into chart toppers. Yes it's nice that a guitar driven band has reached the top of the charts, but Busted, also guitar-toting, managed to get the number 1 spot doesn't really say much does it?

I'm not being stupid.. Neither are the others who dislike them. It's called an opinion. I know, especially on this forum, that that is a hard concept to grasp, but I dislike them because I dislike them. Not because they're popular. I like the Killers, some Libertines, Bloc Party et al. If I disliked "popular" music could I really call myself a music fan? No, because all music is popular to a certain extent. So take your head out of your arse, grow up and realise that everyone is entitled to like or dislike certain bands. It's a fact of life. Deal with it.

Er... What have I been doing?

It proves that they are popular not great. The Spice Girls sold out all their gigs, so did Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Girls Aloud, The X Factor... Does that mean they are amazing? Again no, it just shows which bands are popular.

I rest my case.

Jamie

I'm afraid your "case" is flawed in several major parts.

Miranda.

tezhall
02-05-2006, 08:08 PM

^ the applause would have worked so much better if this hadn't started a new page :( now I just look like some wierdo clapping to himself. :confused:

onlyonehere
02-06-2006, 05:25 AM

^ the applause would have worked so much better if this hadn't started a new page :( now I just look like some wierdo clapping to himself. :confused:

Haha, on mine you're on the same page. Who were you actually clapping to?

jallas
02-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Not true, I like plenty of things that are popular in the UK: U2, Franz, Kaisers, Athlete, McFly, Kelly Clarkson (yeah yeah alright shurrup :p: ), Muse etc etc.

/jumps on the bandwagon.

andrew > you everyone

OH MY GOD.

That's an opinion. It's not a fact to say they are "incredible rock music". it's your own opinion. The same as the fatc that I love U2 and they are my favouritest ever band, I don't think that it's impossible for someone else to omg... not like them :eek: I don't really care if you do or if you don't like U2, doesn't stop me liking 'em.

Correct me if I'm wrong ehre... but please point out to me in this thread where someone has posted "I do not like the Arctic Monkeys cause they're popular"

please please PLEASE show me that. Btw I take this back if you do find it, I jsut cna't be arsed to look :)

but yeah... everyone that DOES like AM then starts to say "well obv you don't like 'em 'cause they're popular! it's the only reason!" hmm mebbe it might be because, oh I dunno, not everyone has to have the same taste in music? mebbe some of us don't like a certain band, mebbe just 'cause you like 'em doesn't mean the whole world shall also love this band to death :)

I rest my case.

Jamie
Popularity does not equal talent.

ps. Jon what are you on?! Year 3000 > Air Hostess

j0nmcc
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
naw way, that song is so factually incorrect.

in a thousand years it wouldnt be your great, great great grand daughter...

it would be like great x 58395738 or something

meet you there by busted's an okay song too...

/hides.

HendrixEdge
02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
It?s actually quite disparaging to be a fan of the Artic Monkey?s music when there?s an absolute horde of illiterate eejits trying to convey the same sentiment.

Although it has to be said that in my opinion they?re unoriginal, musically inept and brilliantly enjoyable. Their swaggering manner just reminds me that there?s still room left for bastards like myself in today?s music industry.

That?s all there is to it, I like them. :p:

Aun
02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
I got the album yesterday, and I actually like them. I almost hadn't heard of them before.
Too me they sound like a harder, less-heavy Oasis á Definately Maybe(but then I don't listen to much alt/indie and have anything too compare with).
They are good and enjoyable imo, but the first six songs on the album sounds kinda the same.
A more varied album would be to their benefit.

j0nmcc
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I was in virgin before for about 20 minutes, and they were playing the album

and my god, it is the crappest thing i've heard in a long time.

tezhall
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Haha, on mine you're on the same page. Who were you actually clapping to?

You :p: at least it worked where it was meant to hehe :D

jallas
02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
naw way, that song is so factually incorrect.

in a thousand years it wouldnt be your great, great great grand daughter...

it would be like great x 58395738 or something

meet you there by busted's an okay song too...

/hides.
that's true
but then the words wouldn't fit and charlie's rhythm would be thrown wayyyy off
I mean, can you imagine "and your greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat
greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat granddaughter was pretty fine, pretty fiiiiiiiine" ? eh?

it's pretty weird tho that i jsut left you a comment saying that.

/hides too

anyhow, yeah all the Virgins (shops :/) and HMVs and even Music Zone seem determined to annoy people constantly with the album :(

IronBeard
02-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Gotta love this thread.

I implore that Andrew changes his user title to "The leader of the bum brigade". :D

Andrewbiles
02-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Hmmmmmm...........

the_astronaut
02-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Gotta love this thread.

I implore that Andrew changes his user title to "The leader of the bum brigade". :D
I suggest that he changes it to:

"I>IronBeard"

tezhall
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
anyhow, yeah all the Virgins (shops :/) and HMVs and even Music Zone seem determined to annoy people constantly with the album :(

and every pub in Headingley :rolleyes: and every local radio station - even Real Radio "Stuck In The 70'S" plays I Bet That You Hate This Song By Now Cos It's Been Hyped To D E A T H :mad:

jallas
02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Tez, simple solution: tu no listen a la radio :)
(my spanish sucks)

The-Kicks
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
They wont be around for very long i reckon, once the hype dies out

tezhall
02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Tez, simple solution: tu no listen a la radio :)
(my spanish sucks)
Don't get the option at work :(

Every now and then they play a good song though....today they played White Town - Your Woman....I turned it up....someone else switched it to Galaxy 105 :sad:

Making up for it now, I'm playing a certain "best of..." playlist ;)

p.s. with spanish like that there's no way you'd get all the way down the Amazon alive... :no: :p:

j0nmcc
02-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Andrew 'Bum Brigade' Biles.

I like it.

;)

:p:

love you andrew.

tezhall
02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I want to be in Andrew's Bum Brigade, it sounds fun.

Can I be Fudgemaster General?

j0nmcc
02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Can I be called Ass-Bandit? xD

We could have theme music and all sorts.

jallas
02-08-2006, 11:54 AM
dear andrew,
jon and I have come to the conclusion that despite being a member of this wonderful community for 4 and a half years, nobody has yet seen what you look like. This saddens us. And if you did post one a long time ago, that was before our time :(
lots of love,
alice & jon.

j0nmcc
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
dear andrew,

please?

Hugs and cuddles
Jon and Alice.

frodoisdead
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
they can barely cxontrol their guitars.

their tone is horrible, seriously it sounds like ****.

their album is just one long song. if there weren't breaks between the songs then you wouldn't know where a song began and ended.

they aren't anything original. bands like this have been been pumped out of the NME factory for ages. it's some awful music.

&people who are like "omgz fjujfhdgfdygfbsgd his voice" need to listen more closely. it's just horrible.

MattDaviesFFAF
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I concur with Jon and Alice.

Please?

ta amis
Brian

j0nmcc
02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
they can barely cxontrol their guitars.

their tone is horrible, seriously it sounds like ****.

their album is just one long song. if there weren't breaks between the songs then you wouldn't know where a song began and ended.

they aren't anything original. bands like this have been been pumped out of the NME factory for ages. it's some awful music.

&people who are like "omgz fjujfhdgfdygfbsgd his voice" need to listen more closely. it's just horrible.

i hate his voice

nothing against yorkshire people (alice and terry) ;) but it's like Wer Arctic Munkehs an' this is "i bet you look goo' on tha dansssflooh...don' beleef tha hypee"

and im like AUGHHGHGH i well want to hit him.

sonixon
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Never heard them.

:/

Andrewbiles
02-08-2006, 01:20 PM
dear andrew,
jon and I have come to the conclusion that despite being a member of this wonderful community for 4 and a half years, nobody has yet seen what you look like. This saddens us. And if you did post one a long time ago, that was before our time :(
lots of love,
alice & jon.

It's fantastic isn't it!? :D
I did scan in an old picture in on my last computer and I did post it somewhere on the vast internet, but I like to remain faceless, maybe one day... :p:

Still waiting for that person to say how the Arctic Monkeys are original.

nulre
02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I hate to be the party pooper, but I think you're turning them into the new Green Day. I can't see how they're any different from Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, the Strokes and other indie/alternative/whatever bands that have flown into the main stream.

tezhall
02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
This is God's honest truth, according to Google images...

http://gwav.tripod.com/images/andrewbiles.jpg

Raginscotsman
02-08-2006, 02:24 PM
The Arctic Monkeys are trash. It's just watered down Libertines for twelve year olds, and they only have about two good songs any how.
5th most influential British album my a$$...

onlyonehere
02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I did scan in an old picture in on my last computer and I did post it somewhere on the vast internet, but I like to remain faceless, maybe one day... :p:

I've seen that picture muhahaha

In fact I think I still have it on my computer somewhere :p:

ohdarn323
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
i hate his voice

nothing against yorkshire people (alice and terry) ;) but it's like Wer Arctic Munkehs an' this is "i bet you look goo' on tha dansssflooh...don' beleef tha hypee"

and im like AUGHHGHGH i well want to hit him.

Telling people not to listen to Arctic Monkeys. That's freaking stupid.

j0nmcc
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
who'd have thought it.!

jallas
02-08-2006, 05:35 PM

but andrewwww how am I supposed to recognise you if I come to London :sad:

or if you come to west yorkshire

ha yeah let's be serious here, why would you come here.

anyway Jon I hate their accent too. I don't have a yorkshire accent lolol. The yorkshire accent is like urgh (no offence tez :p: ).

j0nmcc
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Telling people not to listen to Arctic Monkeys. That's freaking stupid.

it's not as serious as it sounds tyler, honest.

Andrewbiles
02-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Was channel hopping tonight and ended up on channel four at the point when the Sugarbabes were performing. I don't know if they played other tracks but they did a cover of that dancefloor-song-that-has-too-long-a-title-to-bother-typing-out-and-this-is-probably-shorter-and-quicker and did it about 1000 times better. It made me realise what I truly hate about the Arctic Monkeys..... That annoying singer. I can't remember who the song was by, but these lyrics relate perfectly to my feelings towards them at this very moment in time, "kill 'em, f*cking kill 'em".
Searching for an mp3 of the cover right now, apparently it was released on a single of some type.

EDIT: Wow, apparently they're called the Sugababes with no 'r'. Been enjoying their catchy pop prowess for years and never realised that...

EDIT 2: Found.... So much better (right click, save) (http://www.rapidfile.net/download.php?id=1231)

jallas
02-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Was channel hopping tonight and ended up on channel four at the point when the Sugarbabes were performing. I don't know if they played other tracks but they did a cover of that dancefloor-song-that-has-too-long-a-title-to-bother-typing-out-and-this-is-probably-shorter-and-quicker and did it about 1000 times better. It made me realise what I truly hate about the Arctic Monkeys..... That annoying singer. I can't remember who the song was by, but these lyrics relate perfectly to my feelings towards them at this very moment in time, "kill 'em, f*cking kill 'em".
Searching for an mp3 of the cover right now, apparently it was released on a single of some type.

EDIT: Wow, apparently they're called the Sugababes with no 'r'. Been enjoying their catchy pop prowess for years and never realised that...

EDIT 2: Found.... So much better (right click, save) (http://www.rapidfile.net/download.php?id=1231)

Ahhh the Sugababes are so cool. Especially now they've got rid of the ugly slut type one and got a new pretty one :)

I was watching CD:UK earlier (haha, yeah :() and they showed a clip of it on their "NME awards feedback" or something, sounded quite cool.
But yeah the singer is a twat. When he accepted the award for best new band or whatever they won he was like "well nobody told us it was fancy dress HAR HAR HAR"

so witty.

happyslug
02-25-2006, 07:52 AM
I think lead singer acted like a right idiot at NME awards.

In previous interviews he seemed alright - quite a down to earth kind of guy.

But I think he actually believes the hype.

I like the band but boy was he cocky. On winning best band he said something like "well who else was going to win it!" after staggering to the stage with a new trendy haircut.

He makes Liam Gallagher appear quite humble and modest.

Hanzi_G
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
They're nothing new really, but man they are fun to listen to. I'm a sucker for a good beat, so the Arctic Monkeys are exactly what I'm looking for. Great band.

Abe
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Ahhh the Sugababes are so cool. Especially now they've got rid of the ugly slut type one and got a new pretty one :)

:haha YES!!

Yeah, I watched the NME awards too, I don't know why.

a) I hate the NME
b) Russell Brand is about as funny as a fork in the eye
c) Babyshambles were on it and the Arctic Monkeys were gonna win everything anyway

Oh yeah, Madonna, sexiest female :haha

I didn't think much of the Sugababes performance, I think that song's beyond saving, even by nice pop acts.

Grimme
02-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I think the lyrics are pretty good with Arctic Monkeys. Overhyped, but they're still good.

tezhall
02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Thats a sweet cover Andrew :cheers:

beatallica_fan
02-27-2006, 01:20 PM
As i previously stated, i do really like them, but the singer was a complete tw@t at the NME awards, he was so completely in love with himself, it was like Liam and Noel combined in 1996 times about 1000, get over yourself mate.

Andrewbiles
02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
^ He'll get a split personality soon and start having fights with himself and not be able to show up for gigs :D

(glad you liked it Tez)

ACG
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I really like this band. I can sing some of their songs and play them really easily :)

tezhall
03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
(glad you liked it Tez)

Was on Radio 1 today (I think Jo Whiley played it) and then I was freaked out when later on they also played the Just cover from the A/I Radio the other day

I never realised you set the R1 playlist.... ;)

Andrewbiles
03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
:haha I wish, that'd be an awesome job. Getting all those free promos and just putting on random stuff, great fun.

TechnicolorBoy
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I love them. My 3 favorite songs right now are by the Arctic Monkeys.

oblique
03-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Ha, why do I feel like by admitting I like them I automatically lose all credibility with 90% of the people in this forum? :p

I've heard 4 or 5 of their songs, and while they're not all that original I like the singer's voice and the lead guitarist has a cool sloppy-but-interesting style. Good basslines too. Obviously they've been way overhyped, but that doesn't reflect on their music, it reflects on the music press's tendency to obsess over trendy bands until everyone hates them.

edit: Wow, um, after reading through some of this thread there doesn't seem to be a whole load of intelligent AM fans. Apparently their music is really attractive to people with IQs lower than 75.

shifto
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Anyone seen this?

http://www.barnsleylinks.co.uk/artexmonkey/index.html

A Bet Tha Luks Gud On A Pushbike! Fake Tans Of Barnsley Disco!

Dun't gi up thi day job.

Lee.S07
03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
As i previously stated, i do really like them, but the singer was a complete tw@t at the NME awards, he was so completely in love with himself, it was like Liam and Noel combined in 1996 times about 1000, get over yourself mate.

good point.

BUT

total publicity stunt. if he acts like that, people will talk about him, and if people talk about him . . . . . . .. ..

see what i mean

and i doubt he decided to be like that, he will have been told to

but yeh he was a tw@t

Lee.S07
03-05-2006, 02:44 PM
by the way, i looked on that artex monkey website thing, what have people got against northeners anyway?

MattDaviesFFAF
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
^use the edit button as opposed to double posting.

And I don't think twat is censored......

Gurgle!Argh!
03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
by the way, i looked on that artex monkey website thing, what have people got against northeners anyway?

its not about having something against northeners, im from in the rotherham/barnsley/doncaster triangle, and they annoy the hell out of me because theyre such caricatures, its exaggerated to the point that it isnt real.

Lee.S07
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
fair point. im from the same place, their accents are a bit over done but stil . . .

artexmonkey
03-05-2006, 04:46 PM
ayup what's thar laikin at then? sithi reight, i speak t'way i were browt up. most folks from tarn ar bilingual anyroad, wi can hold ar own in any company. if tha wants mi to talk reight posh allava gu. t'yorkshire dialect is weer english language started off in t'fust place. mixed up norse-ango-saxon-danish (i know weer a come from). nowt wrong wi way i speak, i kept it real even if rest o'tykes wanna speak queen's english. i mighnt sarnd a bit sackless in the txt age, but i du mi best. all t'best.... am off to recewerd sum new songs, a bet thar carnt wait...

;)

tezhall
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
hahaha the frightening thing is I understood every word :D

jallas
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
me too :D

EDIT: lol tez @ link in sig xD

j0nmcc
03-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I understood a bit of it...

:/

tezhall
03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
What's to laugh at, I'm totally serious :)

Jon, thanoz thisen tha dint gerra reight lorra that didst'a ;)

MattDaviesFFAF
03-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Is féidir liom caint as Gaeilge agus ní thuigfí aon duine, ach b'fhéidir Nicky, mé.

GeneraLNinja
03-09-2006, 04:48 AM
They are better then most stuff out on mainstream, i like their sound. I say this because i just listen to the music, not the politics of music.

spunky_chooken
03-09-2006, 04:57 AM
True, they're better than anything else mainstream, but i find their repetiveness annoying and don't get why they were so successful in england. They're not really anythign special.

Toast&Bananas
03-09-2006, 09:13 AM
**** man, 'when the sun goes down' is f*cking great!!

And so is IBTYLGOTD..

spunky_chooken
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I thought the first song was alright after hearing it once. I heard another one called You'd Look Great on the Dancefloor (but not quite that, something longer) and it was utter utter cack.

my thoguhts exactly.

christopher6049
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
That song is bad ass cause it just is

tezhall
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Been down to watch the Chelsea v Spurs match today, and the guy who was driving quite likes these, had a few of their songs sat in an i-Tunes compilation that he was playing, and I have to say, I still hate the band, but some of their songs aren't actually totally ****.

They've stepped up in my estimation from being a Babyshambles-type-band (who I dislike the band and the music) to being a Razorlight type-band (who I like some songs, but not most, and think the lead singer is an arrogant prick)

Never let it be said I don't judge things on merit :p:

lyingfromyou118
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Could anyone tell me what songs these guys played on SNL last night (preferably the second one)?

agreth_3rd
03-13-2006, 07:37 AM
they've got some catchy tunes - nothing groundbreaking though. they sound like a million other british bands. they seem like funny guys though.

fleabass
03-13-2006, 09:47 AM
they are poo from my bum

Glen_Hansard
03-13-2006, 12:34 PM
I downloaded 12 live songs recorded off the radio. Fairly ok, nothing brilliant.