most OVER rated guitar player

PDA

View Full Version : most OVER rated guitar player

Pages : [1] 2

xxadamnxx
10-02-2005, 05:22 PM
im going to say zakk wylde. over the years hes really lost his sense of creativity and his solos and riffs really reflect that.

kilog55
10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Kurt Cobain

HumanitysDeath
10-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Jimi Hendrix. I hear all sorts of crap about how "awesome" he is. Or how "amazing" it is that he taught himself guitar.

Whatever. To me, he sucked as a guitarist. Half his techniques, like playing with teeth, he stole from other artists as he made his way through the music industry.

So yea. Jimi Hendrix is definately overated.

TomD03
10-02-2005, 05:28 PM
jimmy page :cheers:

xchris78
10-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Angus Young.

FaultySanity
10-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Jimi Hendrix. I hear all sorts of crap about how "awesome" he is. Or how "amazing" it is that he taught himself guitar.

Whatever. To me, he sucked as a guitarist. Half his techniques, like playing with teeth, he stole from other artists as he made his way through the music industry.

It wasnt nessesarly his techniques that was good, its his style of playing. Infact, when his first album came to the US, warner bros put "Warning: deliberate distortion, do not correct" on the original release.

Really, i cant find any guitar playing that sounds like his before his record came out.

Aphix
I definitely need to say Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix.

neverserious88
jesus....

people always give him madd props, but i've never even seen the guy pick up a guitar

Zoso-Zep
10-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Joe Satriani

stringmagician
10-02-2005, 05:33 PM
you

chums
10-02-2005, 05:36 PM
every one is talkin about dimebag where i live, probally because its still on the news around here, but i would say kurt cobain too

guerillabiscuit
10-02-2005, 05:37 PM
keith richards, ya I went there

1. for all of you who said kurt cobain, when was he ever praised as a guitarist?
2. the guitar became part of hendrix's body somewhere between acid hit #1 and #500000

kilog55
10-02-2005, 05:48 PM
^well they say nirvana changed the world of music, since Kurt was one of the guirtarists as well as the frontman that sums it up

Stryker_66
10-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Hendrix was unique

I would have to say EVH for me, I think he's a great guitarist, but one of the things I don't like about him is he sticks with that sound, I don't think he's branched out enough....that is why he is overrated to me.

Remember. I didn't say he was crap or anything like that....just overrated.

crazydiamondII
10-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Angus Young.

oh so very very true. most overrated ever!!

also eddie van halen...

SickMetal
10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
You have to realize, pretty much anyone who was original and had a large impact on music or a genre of music is going to be overrated. It's just because they are that well known and did unique things at the time.

Creagan97
10-02-2005, 07:52 PM
HENDRIX???? have u heard the along the watchtower solo??? WTF

The Nameless666
10-02-2005, 10:00 PM
tom delonge, all you losers thihnk hes a god, what do you know...jeeze

Creagan97
10-02-2005, 10:03 PM
im also from brampton... :)

ArtistOfRuin
10-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Kurt Cobain

Yeah, but was Kurt Cobain really known for his guitar playing? His guitar playing was acknowledged slightly but I think he was really known for his vocals and song writing.

Evil Kid 93
10-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Slash. He's great and all, but come on, he's not the best guitarist ever. Hendrix is (or was). :D

*'-'*
10-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh My God! Its been over a page and no one has put Billy Joe Armstrong. Seeing as he isn't overrated thats good but I was expecting him to cop alot. Kurt Cobain is an overrated axe player, but an awesome musician none the less. The most over rated would have to be EVH. Hendrix is overrated, but not a great deal

Erc
10-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Well BJA is universally known as one suck ass guitarists so hes not an option here...

I would have to say EVH and Slash

EVH was great for his time but he hasn't change and slash...well I never liked him and GnR anyways =\

Creagan97
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
i dont like his style, and his dumb hat/hair lol

thatoneguy99999
10-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Kurt Cobain
Jack White
The guys from Good Charollote
Tom DeLonge

Creagan97
10-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Kurt Cobain
Jack White
The guys from Good Charollote
Tom DeLonge

no one sais good charlotte and blink are good guitarists.... and if they do, are newbs to rock.

farcry
10-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Petrucci, some of you find him great which is cool. To me it seems like he's just jacking off really fast, it's not that entertaining.

joshsirjoshules
10-03-2005, 06:58 AM
everyone mentioned on these forums tends to be overrated. all i see most people talk about are your typical hendrix, clapton, dimebag, randy rhoads, steve vai, john petrucci, evh...god its driving me nuts! talk about someone else for the love of god!

so yeah everyone there is overrated

by the way has anybody heard of the guitarist james honeyman scott of the pretenders?

Resiliance
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
^Okay, Antonio Forcione.

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 08:53 AM
JIMMY PAGE!!!

Resiliance
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
^Yes, definitely agreed.

And Eric Clapton.

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
^Yes, definately agreed.

And Eric Clapton.

and EVERY other famous guitarist. They are ALL overated.

dont argue, im right

Resiliance
10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
^Well you're not that far off imo.

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
^Well you're not that far off imo.

i think theres probably a few who aren't overated, but most famous guitarists are, because in the end, talent don't buy you fame

Alucard II
10-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Clapton. he's good, but he's not a god. oh, and Angus Young.

Erc
10-03-2005, 11:30 AM
everyone mentioned on these forums tends to be overrated. all i see most people talk about are your typical hendrix, clapton, dimebag, randy rhoads, steve vai, john petrucci, evh...god its driving me nuts! talk about someone else for the love of god!

so yeah everyone there is overrated

Hah....that kind of made me laugh....yeaaaaaa

But I don't think steve vai is over rated, infact I actually don't see people talk about him that much....He is popular but I believe he deserves his seat on the throne of gutiar gods.

Oh and Kerry King is overrated....hes not very good at all.

Lets talk about Mattias "IA" Eklundh from Freak Kitchen!! Very creative guy...but this is not the place to do it...sooo.....

Anghellic
10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Alexi Laiho. He's good, but way overrated,

notredame_fan22
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Kurt Cobain

:cheers:

Gabel
10-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Actully i liked Kurt Cobians way to play guitar. But its really simple, so when people says he is overrated i disagree. As some said: who ever said he was that good in he first place? And i think the overrated is:
Avril Lavigne(dont mind if i spelled wrong i hate her so). She can play like one chord! Okay nobody said shes good, exept for little girls who think she is hard rock(im not liyng they do). And sorry cant figure out anyone else.

MATTTHEMOP
10-04-2005, 08:55 AM
i havent really heard anyone say kurt cobain was good at guitar, so i doubt he's overrated as a guitar player.

MATTTHEMOP
10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
who isnt overrated?

Harmonius
10-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Jimmy Page or Hendrix

Harmonius
10-04-2005, 09:08 AM
who isnt overrated?

Stone Gossard, McCready is getting known recently on UG ever since Pearl Jam's greatest hits album was released. Damn jackasses, should've listened to Pearl Jam ages ago.

Gabel
10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
MATTTHEMOP: Im not overrated... But then again im not that great either...

sandwich_man
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
BILLY-JOE ARMSTRONG

sadistic_monkey
10-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Most guitarists are overrated. There's no point in naming them.

JkHalen
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
i'd have to say angus young...for those who said hendrix, he revolutionized music forever(way more than nirvana)and he was simply amazing and very original, there was noone like him when he was alive. and eddie van halen isnt overrated that much, he invented the "tapping" technique(or this is what i heard) and i cant seem to understand why people say van halen isnt open minded about changing their music? listen the difference between cd's with david lee roth and others with sammy hagar..completely different..

Erc
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
That is a common misconception, van halen only popularized tapping, he didn't create it.

MATTTHEMOP
10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
lol i actually meant to say that everyone seems to be either overrated or underrated.

mike mcready and stone gossard from pearl jam are brilliant, perhaps underrated. they just really know wot they're doing, but they dont try to be showmen. they just make great music. imo

crazydiamondII
10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
for those who said hendrix, he revolutionized music forever(way more than nirvana)..

dude that is so BS. while hendrix may have been good he did not revolutionalize music more than nirvana. nirvana came onto the music scene with something NO ONE had heard before and changed what popular music was. hair metal was topping all the charts until nirvana came by and then boom grunge (which eventually led to more alternative music) topped the charts.

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.

SickMetal
10-04-2005, 02:31 PM
^^...

Do you know anything?

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-04-2005, 03:09 PM

:haha :haha :haha :haha Sigged

STRAT811
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Jimmy Page.......unless you like ripped-off blues licks, that is

Derigiberble
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Jimmy Page.......unless you like ripped-off blues licks, that is

:cheers: i love you, you have sense

PurpleHazer
10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
I say Angus Young, I mean come on he's not that great.

burn avril burn
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Petrucci, some of you find him great which is cool. To me it seems like he's just jacking off really fast, it's not that entertaining.

but no one says he's better than he really is, and no one raves on and on about how he revolutionized music and how they want to bone him so i dont see how he's over rated, but each to his own i guess....

and purple hazer^^^ you've got it right.

riffs that sound the same, solos that are always ALWAYS pentatonic that also sound the same, and he never EVER changed his tone once. yet he's loved by millions......

definition of over rated.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-04-2005, 10:29 PM
^Since when are guitarists supposed to change their tones? What would be so great about Brian May's tone if he was constantly tinkering with the Red Special?

xxadamnxx
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM

are you retarted or just stupid? which one? i need to know because i dont know if i should feel bad if i make fun of you later.

burn avril burn
10-05-2005, 03:10 AM
^Since when are guitarists supposed to change their tones? What would be so great about Brian May's tone if he was constantly tinkering with the Red Special?

at least brian may has found out that there is more than one scale on a guitar neck...

that tone sort of adds to the typical ACDC riffage, which also never changes.

jackjhnsn2
10-05-2005, 02:56 PM
^Yes, definitely agreed.

And Eric Clapton.
wow. have u ever listened to his music. the guy is amazing and what makes him even better is he can play so many types of music.

no_name_tm
10-05-2005, 03:13 PM
JOE GALAGHER, you frikkin piece of ****
thinkin you're a real rocker huh?
DON'T THINK SO!

no_name_tm
10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Everybody thinks Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Van Halen are the best guitarists, however the best guitarists are guitar teachers. (Don't get me wrong i really like Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Van Halen)

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-05-2005, 04:43 PM
If your so obsessed with him, why do you think hes overrated? :confused:

saad_aslam
10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
EVH
very good guitar player but not really as creative as all the other guitarists

crazygluedmybut
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
michel angelo batio. just because he can play a double necked guitar, doesn't mean he's good.

saad_aslam
10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Resiliance
^Yes, definitely agreed.

And Eric Clapton.
yeah apparently you don't know what your talking about. Clapton could play any type of music and make it sound better.

Heavygain
10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Im gonna go with Jimmy Paige. Kurt Cobain wasn't an aweful guitarist, I loved it actually, but he shouldn't be praised as an excellent guitarist, but as a musician all together.
I would also like to call off Billie Joe from Greenday. Everything about that band blows.

Erc
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
michel angelo batio. just because he can play a double necked guitar, doesn't mean he's good.

Actually yea it does...since when have you seen another guitarist be ambi dexterous and play 2 necks at once? Yea...

The guy isn't overrated infact he gets more hate then most people....overrated is somebody everybody claims is the shizznet...but really isn't.

Michael Angelo Batio doesn't get as much attention as a sloppy player like Jimmy Page, but MAB is super clean...but thats just on technicality not musicality which both are good at.

wylde_is_king
10-06-2005, 06:32 AM
HumanitysDeath you the fricken right. Jimi hendrix is way over rated. hes not even that good. OOO he can play with his teeth whoopdy doo that isnt even real guitar playing. jimi hendrix is way over rated. Zakk Wylde isnt. have you ever seen jimi hendrix play a crazt solo like zakk wylde? didnt think so..

Derigiberble
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
yeah apparently you don't know what your talking about. Clapton could play any type of music and make it sound better.

or maybe you don't :rolleyes:

what a pile of ****e, clapton can't play every type of music, when have you EVER heard him play anything BUT blues or rock?

em.... never?

Resiliance
10-06-2005, 11:03 AM

Apparently you're not aware of a little thing called opinion.

Ignoramus.

And by the way: he himself has contradicted your statement. Way to go!

wackyblacky
10-06-2005, 12:20 PM
but his vocals wernt much beta than his guitar playin.... nirvana suck.... i gotta say kurt....

oarjammer116
10-06-2005, 12:40 PM
DIMEBAG DARRELL-god bless his soul RIP but he wasnt that great and i havent seen one guitar world w/o him in it

Punk as atticus
10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I somewhat agree on zakk wylde, i saw in this river video, and he's shredding the **** out of his guitar, on a sad song.....wtf make it fit! he is great nonetheless, but i need to see something new from that guy, like less pinch harmonics and more emotion. thats just me, another overrated guy is page, stairway is the only sort of amazing solo i've heard from him. hendrix is sorta overrated, he's still amazing though, he'd make noises with his guitar to immitate things, including humping! and one more overrated man would be EVH, he was also great, but the only insane solo i heard was eruption..... VH made some good music though, just not trying his hardest i think on the guitar work in it.

crazydiamondII
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
are you retarted or just stupid? which one? i need to know because i dont know if i should feel bad if i make fun of you later.

call me what you like man. i just think the man gets way too much credit.

merabharatmahan
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Slash..........he is definetely overated............i'm 12 years old n i can play like a couple of his solos............any dude who says EVH, Jimi Hendrix or Satriani is overated is lying or has lost his mind............

Xodah
10-23-2005, 01:21 PM
EVH is the most overrated.

dazedandconfusd
10-23-2005, 01:22 PM
jimmy page

pumpkins_rule
10-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Pretty much every classic rock guitarist except for David Gilmour and Pete Townsend. So Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix can play fast. Big deal, so can any guy working in a guitar shop. Besides, their guitar work is boring as hell.

unfathomable_bo
10-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Kirk Hammett

Mantiscabinet
10-23-2005, 05:59 PM
angus young...his solos just symbolize classic/arena rock, but they aren't complicated, and all his riffs sound the exact same

Wounded Hamster
10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
(In this order)

Slash
Angus Young
The Edge
Kirk Hammet

Dutch_Apples
10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm going to have to go with Jimi Hendrix. Sure he may have been amazing in his time, but there have been many guitarists since then that could blow him out of the water.

Wannabehippie
10-24-2005, 04:06 AM
HENDRIX???? have u heard the along the watchtower solo??? WTF

Bob Dylan Did Along the Watchtower first, not sure if it had the same solo though i've neevr heard it, corret me if i'm wrong.

Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page, i Like Led Zeppelin, but you hear people saying he was a amazing, Richie Blackmore was more creative and had more style than him, he really should be talked about more.

EDIT: oh yeah and Joe Satriani

Bodom
10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I dont agree with the "Hendrix is overrated" comment. Take a listen to machinegun. That song is mind blowing. Red house is an amazing song as well.

Not saying he sucks (actually a fan) but Slash is overrated.

I'd say Stevie Ray Vaughn is the most underrated guitar player ever.
He was just so ****ING good. Little wing and Texas flood are both amazing songs.

Derigiberble
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
^^^ Hendrix actually wrote little wing, however, SRV does do a good cover of it

Below Reality
10-24-2005, 01:41 PM
^^^ Hendrix actually wrote little wing, however, SRV does do a good cover of it

Indeed.

I've always thought that SRV did a better job of playing hendrix tunes than hendrix himself did.

Odd in a way.....

SRV would be my choice for the most UNDER-rated guitarist.

As for the most Over-Rated; I'll likely give you a different answer depending on the time of day and the mood I'm in.

bored_stupid
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Yngwie Malmstreem.

syyz1
10-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Hendrix I say. He WAS amazing, but not the godly guitarist people make him out to be today.

aprescott_27
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Kirk Hammett
was wondering when someone was going to say him. half his solos are like what someone said about zakk wylde. there's a slow song going, but he just starts shredding away on his guitar. while i agree he's a very technical player, there's more to playing a guitar than being able to play that fast (while it is cool and I would like to be able to play some of it.)

and just because billie joe doesn't play a shred solo in every song doesn't mean he sucks. i'm not saying he's not overrated (because he is, a little bit) but it's not like he only knows one chord and should never have made the mainstream. i consider him a song writer more than a guitar player.

abigape
10-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Angus Young
+ Malmsteen

HawksWings
10-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I heard someoneīs theory about Clapton. He said that Clapton became sort of a racist because he couldnīt play blues like black people can.
I love his music but maybe this theory is partly right.

Overrated. This sounds like a devaluation of awsome musicians.

Johnljones7443
10-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Clapton? Hendrix? Slash? Page? Guitar wouldn't be what it is now if it wasn't for these guys.

They're the people who young aspiring guitarists look up to, and they've written some of the most memorable guitar riffs and solos ever.

They are an inspiration to guitarists everywhere. Even if they are technically overrated, you can't say a guitarist is overrated because he can't play some really technical piece.

I still don't understand people who insult Billy Joe Armstrong. Okay, fair play, you don't like his music or his band, or the people who listen to his music, but saying he isn't a guitarist for the sole reason you hate his music is silly.

Some of you should stop saying how overrated other people are and get on with your own playing.

Terrible thing, envy.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
^ You can be an amazing guitarist and still be overrated... People just give them more credit than they need. Hendrix sure... great innovative guitarist, music wouldnt be the same without him.... But why does he need mentioned for anything and everything. I'm not saying hes not amazing, and I know that no one on UG will ever be as good as him. But he's talked about too much, thats all :)

hardrock1315
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Dimebag Darrel. There, I said it.

I would like to say that he was still good, though. RIP

grimreaper65
10-26-2005, 05:01 PM
slash without a doubt

Jerome Howard
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
B.B King.

Boring, and the same little riffs over and over.....yawn......

And YingWee....what crap.

Iron_Beast
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Angus Young
Malcom is the riffmaster, Angus only finds the same solos all the time.
Malcom is a underrated guitarist, brain behind AC/DC

tard on tour
10-26-2005, 05:21 PM
(In this order)

Slash
Angus Young
The Edge
Kirk Hammet
i disagree i dont know who the last guy is but the other 3 are the dogs bollocks. i think the most overrated is billie joe. i acctually like them but you know all the kids who act like hes a god because they have never heard anything else. ask any 10-12 year old their favourite band they will say one of these: greenday, sum41 or good charlotte. all of those bands are overrated

sheehan17
10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
jimmy page, slash, angus young, keith richards... great song writers, but too sloppy for my liking.

hammettrocks
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
kirk hammett.............yes i know what my username is

Meddling Idiot
10-26-2005, 09:15 PM
jimi hendrix

gfh10h
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
cobain, by far. good song writer, bad guitar player

Johnljones7443
10-26-2005, 09:58 PM
^ You can be an amazing guitarist and still be overrated... People just give them more credit than they need. Hendrix sure... great innovative guitarist, music wouldnt be the same without him.... But why does he need mentioned for anything and everything. I'm not saying hes not amazing, and I know that no one on UG will ever be as good as him. But he's talked about too much, thats all :)

He isn't overrated, he's rated.

He's rated because of the fact that he changed guitar music forever. Maybe he only used one scale, but he used that scale like no-one has ever used it before, that makes him original, and don't ever see anyone sayin 'Oh Hendrix was a great technical guitarist' because he isn't, but he's the guitarist everyone knows that plays with FEEL and PASSION and HEART and that's why he's talked about so much, because he was a fucking icon, he inspired everyone. Technique or no technique he is still the best guitarist in the world, even now, even though he's dead.

Why does he need mention for anything and everything? You ask any guitar player and they will have heard of him. 12 years old to 78 years old, any guitarist, they all look UP to him. That's why he is not overrated, that's why he is an icon and thats why he's the best fucking guitarist of all time.

Has Many Issues
10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
kirk hammett.............yes i know what my username is
That's just sad...you think he rocks but he's ovverrated?

Well..it makes sense...but logically why would you....oh idk...

thatoneguy99999
10-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Synester Gates from A7X is good, but is really overrated, in my opinion.

the_strat
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
the reason why jimmi hendix was remember to be soo good is bc he was the first one to branch out, and make weird unique soinds like that, no one ever heard of at the time, he is a good guitarist, but there are ppl who smoke him now days, the reason why he was remeber bc he was the first to make that weird sound

Has Many Issues
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Dimebag Darrel. There, I said it.

I would like to say that he was still good, though. RIP
:eek:

I politely dissagree...

gasay
10-27-2005, 12:37 PM
[B]Dimebag was never a good guitarist, even when his band was popular!!!! Just because the guy died, he's an amazing guitarist, WTF...

And, to all of you who said Hendrix is overrated, what the hell are you, beginning guitarists? Oh, wait, you've probably only listened to All Along the Watchtower and Foxy Lady. Well, here's a little help-[B]THOSE WEREN'T HIS ONLY SONGS!!!! Just because he didn't have the best technique, doesnt' mean he wasn't one of the most innovative and influencial guitarists of all time.

Dozzy896
10-27-2005, 12:42 PM
which of you ****ers said Joe Satriani???

ourladypeace77
10-27-2005, 01:59 PM
jimmy page :cheers:

I hope your kidding. :no:

To me it's Cobain for sure.

bassmo_part2
10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Kerry King

Metdude711
10-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Jimmy Page

fleabass
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
to gasay, go on play all of dimebags solos rite here, completely correct and at the same speed. Dont bother....

Chak
10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Jimmy Page

Metallic_Jimi
10-28-2005, 12:40 PM
the reason why jimmi hendix was remember to be soo good is bc he was the first one to branch out, and make weird unique soinds like that, no one ever heard of at the time, he is a good guitarist, but there are ppl who smoke him now days, the reason why he was remeber bc he was the first to make that weird sound
Interesting, very interesting... and BS big time. Jimi basically self-taught himself guitar all the way, learned all those tricks and stuff. Ok, so he also had idols and people who he looked up to, including BB King( another great guitarist), but who would not have idols? He needed to start from somewhere, right? If I gave you a guitar, an instrument you had never seen and I told you to learn to play it, would you go ask some people for help and see how they do their thing? I think you would. So don't give me no crap about how people were playing with their teeth before him; he thought it was cool and so he learned to play with his teeth. And ask anyone who had heard him play LIVE, you will hear them say "He was and is the best."

Not only have all the great guitarists admitted that he was and is the most influencial guitarist of all time, it's basically a fact. People like Kirk Hammet began playing guitar because they wanted to be like him, like Jimi.

Go buy a book about this guy, a book written by someone who knows what he is writing about and then speak again. Or ask any good guitarist (Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammett, BB King, Brian May, Eddie van Halen) if Jimi Hendrix is the most influencial guitarist of all time and if he changed the music business totally.

Angus76
10-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Jimmy Page, I jsut don't think he is as good as other people amke him out to be.

TommyWIg
10-28-2005, 01:58 PM
angus young

OrderedChaos
10-28-2005, 02:56 PM
tom morello, page, hammet

RhoadsSRV8290
10-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Ok just a general statement for everyone...you do realize that fans make guitar players overrated not the guitar players themselves right so don't make statements like "Hendrix sucks or Clapton sucks" because you know they don't suck.

OrderedChaos
10-28-2005, 03:32 PM
very true, but morello is still a ****bag cuase he said on mtv he was the best guitar player around, hes ok but not even close. And this is when he was still in rage too.

JimmyStradlin33
10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Good point ^
also this thread is pointless because the criteria is not shown. People saying i can play there solos and im 12 is a stupid comment because certainly in Clapton and Slashes case the complexity of the music is not the point. The music is easy to duplicate but hard to emmulate. Shredders like Michaelangelo its the other way round.

edit
not saying its easy to write songs and play solos like michaelangelo but easier than clapton and slash in my opinion.

IROBOTInferno
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Eddie Van Halen is very good but very ocerrated. You people do realize that to be overrated you have to at least be good. So don't go slamming people that don't suck, because to be overrated you have to be good.

Stacked Actors
11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Hendrix, I see about 100 hendrix t-shirts every day I go to school. If posers would lay off the hendrix I'd be fine with 'em. Him or Angus Young. I personally hate AC/DC

megakyle
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
^^ van halen is good, he invented tapping man, which makes so many others look good

hendrix is overated to me

The UG Squirrel
11-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Tom Morello.

HendrixEdge
11-03-2005, 10:21 AM
^^ van halen is good, he invented tapping man, which makes so many others look good

hendrix is overated to me

He didn't invent tapping.

Tapping has more than likely been around for as long as guitar itself has. EVH basically was the first person who overused the technique.

crazydiamondII
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Ok just a general statement for everyone...you do realize that fans make guitar players overrated not the guitar players themselves right so don't make statements like "Hendrix sucks or Clapton sucks" because you know they don't suck.

RhoadsSRV8290, thats the most intelligent comment i've seen in the thread yet.

Dozzy896
11-04-2005, 02:15 AM
hey orderedchaos,Tom Morello is a guitar god man...
don`t **** with Tom Morello.....

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Im going to say Tom Morello to. He just doesn't have the passion of playing methinks.

BigFatSandwich
11-05-2005, 04:16 AM
to all those who said kurt cobain... How can he be overrated when no one's overrating him? It's pretty much agreed upon by everyone that he was not a good guitarist.

Nirvana as a whole, though... definitely overrated. But not Kurt himself.

hypocrisy
11-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Hammett.

tremonti91
11-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Tom Morello! He is good, but he is no god at all. take his effects away and he's got nothing special...

youareallidiots
11-07-2005, 03:30 AM
hendrix is INCREDIBLY overrated.

takeapicture
11-07-2005, 03:58 PM
kirk hammet has gotten way with it for way to long. any true musician should be able to see this if you spend any bit of time listening to his playing

las7
11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Tom is not that over rated ,and saying that without his effects he is nothing ,is like saying Vai without his shreding is blend.

SickMetal
11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Tom Morello and Eric Clapton.

I don't think they are bad either, but goddamn.

HendrixEdge
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix.

Now personally I love Hendrix as a musician and songwriter but to be honest no one deserves that much praise likewise with Eddie.

YAY_FOR_PIE
11-07-2005, 06:03 PM
About 80% of classic rock guitarists. Yeah, people like Jimmy Page and Angus Young.

frying nemo08
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
cobain
wylde
hendrix
page.

there are 4.

cobain sucked and yet he is some think that he is a great guitar player.

John Kimble
11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Slash.

SkyDiver
11-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Basically every great guitarist is somewhere in this thread. I think they just tend to be overhyped.

edwardhaine
11-21-2005, 04:35 PM
AHH EVH WAS IS NOT OVERATED, if anything he is underated, but tell you who is overated, Joe Satriani. Most of his songs suck apart from surfing with the alein

Variable
11-21-2005, 05:36 PM
The debate on who's overrated is going to go on about as long as the underrated guitarist debate (i.e. till the earth crashes into the sun) and is just as pointless. Can't we all just get along?
j/k lol satriani sux
(only half kidding here, I have nothing against him or people who dig his music, but I think he relies to much on effects and fast playing to make a song that isn't all that great sound better -- not my style)
Edit: Never mind, I just listened to "The Feeling".

ryangardenour
11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Angus Young... his guitar solos are all the same.
Oh! And Jimmy Page. People say that his solo in Stairway to Heaven was the greatest solo ever performed. Yeah right...

LedZeppelin
11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I think he relies to much on effects and fast playing to make a song that isn't all that great sound better -- not my style)

It's called Shred.

Hmmm...how about Angus Young? Hey, look, he can solo in Eminor pentatonic, whoohoo!

Siciliano
11-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Neil Young sucks ass. He looks like idiot jumping around on stage with that Gibson.

B.B. King is over-rated too! He's just popular because he's been around for a 100 years. Albert King and most electric bluesmen could eat him for lunch.

Eric Clapton is not the Guitar God people make him out to be.

sepulturian
11-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Neil Young sucks ass. He looks like idiot jumping around on stage with that Gibson.

B.B. King is over-rated too! He's just popular because he's been around for a 100 years. Albert King and most electric bluesmen could eat him for lunch.

Eric Clapton is not the Guitar God people make him out to be.

I disagree with everything you say. Except about Neil Young.

Green_Fox
11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Slash.

i might have to agree with you there.
and cobain like mentioned earlier

PooKoo
11-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Kurt Cobain for being complete ****,
Kirk for having almost no technical ability or theory or originality, but still being worshipped.
Pete Townsend. Ive honestly never heard him play a decent solo. (in my opinion)

Clapton didnt just play blues rock, he branched out just a little bit with reggae and now easy listening. Which sucks btw.

Most underated though, thatd have to be Jason Becker, ive never heard him talked about in real life, and ive never seen him in a magazine.

joshsirjoshules
11-22-2005, 06:26 PM

but he was always tinkering with the red special, thats what was cool about his tone. he didnt have just one. guitarists with many tones are usually the good ones: jimmy page, dean deleo etc....

since when do solos decide wither a guitarist is good or not? think of someone like keith richards, who is known for his chunky rhythm guitar playing, and many people worship his guitar playing. or the edge who is known for using single note hooks, timed echoes, and space as his sound, and not relying on typical blues-based playing. as for pete townshend he was not known for being this shredder. he was known for cranking up his amps all the way, smashing guitars, writing really great songs, popularizing the suspended chord in rock and guitar playing, and laying into his guitar with as much force as humanly possible.

PooKoo
11-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes but i dont worship either of them, i worship players who solo. Thats all, i couldnt give a **** about smashing guitars or turning amps up, it doesnt make you better. Still love the who though.

joshsirjoshules
11-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Yes but i dont worship either of them, i worship players who solo. Thats all, i couldnt give a **** about smashing guitars or turning amps up, it doesnt make you better. Still love the who though.

uh...so if you worship guitar players who solo, you would in fact worship keith richards, pete townshend and the edge, because they do solo at times.

if you dont give a **** about smashing guitars or turning amps up, you are missing out on two of the most important parts of rock and roll and guitar playing, and plus you probably wouldn't be listening to a lot of the people you are listening to if it weren't for someone (pete townshend) cranking up their amps and getting a nasty overdriven tone.

sepulturian
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Kurt Cobain for being complete ****,
Kirk for having almost no technical ability or theory or originality, but still being worshipped.

Clapton didnt just play blues rock, he branched out just a little bit with reggae and now easy listening. Which sucks btw.

Most underated though, thatd have to be Jason Becker, ive never heard him talked about in real life, and ive never seen him in a magazine.

Kurt Cobain was not an overrated guitarist. People didn't care much for his guitar-work. He is sooooo famous only for his lyrics, and songwriting ability (which was half-decent).

I_am_spartacus
11-23-2005, 09:20 PM
angus young was definatly the most overatted!!

TimiHendrix33
11-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Angus Young

Burpin'Worm
11-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Young, Townsend, Page and EVH.

PooKoo
11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Yes, i respect him, but i dont think music is about smashing **** and being an ass, sure, rock n roll is, and i love it, but guitar is an instrument, not a weapon.

guitarfan93
11-24-2005, 12:34 PM
jesus....

people always give him madd props, but i've never even seen the guy pick up a guitar
i agree but i made this just for laughs
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/joebarri93/Jesusplaysagibson.jpg

shadows666
11-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Kurt Cobain, Billie joe Armstrong, and any other pop, emo guitarists

flame843
11-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Angus Young and Kirk Hammett are both overrated. They're not bad, and I really like them both, they're just not nearly as good as many people make them out to be.

Jarrett Moore
11-24-2005, 09:41 PM

who and what stuf did he steal?

Jarrett Moore
11-24-2005, 09:43 PM
IMO the most overrated guitarist is eddie van halen. People go on about him being one of the fastest and mosat innovated guitarists. he's actualy not overly fast. though he's not slow. and for innovative he makes heavy riffs and stuff, which is fine if your into that type of stuff but other than that he's not really that great.

they're red hot
11-25-2005, 03:02 AM
To the guys who said Jimi is overrated-
I almost hate you.
You probably have only listened to his studio albums, and maybe you've heard that genius live... but you don't understand Jimi at all.
To say Jimi is overrated is as bad as hanging yourself on a musical noose.

And yeah, Angus Young isn't that good.
He's overrated.

Str4ng3r
01-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Who in here said that Joe Satriani is overrated!!?? Tell me why he is overrated? Ever heard him? He is amazing, especially on the G3 tours.

Most overrated guitarplayer is James Hetfield... everybody says he's the king of Metal etc...
He's stiff like a fu**ing wooden stick, and overshined by Hammet...

Jerome Howard
01-28-2006, 08:36 AM
They are ALL overratted if you think they are gods. They are only humans.

Untitled_melody
01-28-2006, 10:03 AM

Very well put that what i say :D

But the most overrated guitarist i have to say is billy joe armstrong from green day
He plays a couple of chords in the album american idiot and he has become the most overrated guitar player

Izz
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page

Killer_bacon
01-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Billy Freakin Joe Armstrong Is The Worst Guiar Player! He Can Hardly Write Music!

Killer_bacon
01-28-2006, 01:43 PM
oh and people like him for doing dick

Frostithe
01-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Ok, I have seen many many people saying Billie Joe is crap and overrated. Now, I agree he isn't the most amazing guitar player in the world but he writes good songs. Just because a song isn't complicated and includes tons of shred solos doesn't mean its not good. Think of Happy Birthday! :p: His skill lies not in making a song amazingly good or tricky to play, but in making it sound good and catchy.

Most overrated = Jimmy Page

rhcp_9106
01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Eddie Van Halen, he's always off in his own little world when soloing, and he can go a little overboard on tricks of his. Most of his wild solos are taps which makle them abotu 100% easier than they sound.

dain84
01-28-2006, 05:08 PM
^well they say nirvana changed the world of music, since Kurt was one of the guirtarists as well as the frontman that sums it up
He was the only guitarist until their last album. And Kurt wasn't good, but he was a ****ing great songwriter. Dave Grohl was the most talented member of the band though.

edwardhaine
01-29-2006, 07:53 AM
dont hate me.... STEVE VAI!! I think he is redicoulsy over rated. Hes not realy that creative and his music isnt realy that good at all

Andrew Zara
01-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Daron Malakian of System of A Down.

But how can you saw Zakk Wylde is over rated when he can cover all of Randy Rhoads songs including solos.

Frostithe
01-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Lol since when has Daron been overrated? Nobody considers him to be amazing...

enthend214
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
van halen

STRAT811
02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Derigiberble: You just got sigged!

BTW, when did Morello say he was the best guitar player? I've never heard that before.

Johnsonville
02-01-2006, 05:07 PM
who and what stuf did he steal?

He only took playing behind back from T-bone walker That's all

Kobrakai
02-05-2006, 04:34 AM
The Edge - no one else I know has made a multi-million pound fortune out of over-using a Digital Delay pedal.

Ace_Frehley
02-05-2006, 03:06 PM
i disagree i dont know who the last guy is but the other 3 are the dogs bollocks. i think the most overrated is billie joe. i acctually like them but you know all the kids who act like hes a god because they have never heard anything else. ask any 10-12 year old their favourite band they will say one of these: greenday, sum41 or good charlotte. all of those bands are overrated
they also suck

ibanez666
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
i don't really like kurt to tell the truth.

SRVisGOd!!
02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
probably the most overrated guitartist in my opinion is Angus Young ... the guy knows three chords and all his solos like balls!!!!!!

haveaniceday233
02-09-2006, 08:49 PM
EVH :gun: is so fricken overrated

grungegod11
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Angus Young.

him and the queer of avenged sevenfold

Kutless
02-10-2006, 10:57 AM
him and the queer of avenged sevenfold

dude teh guys of avenged sevenfold are good guitarists. They're bringing back a classic metal sound that has been missing for way too long. But I think Jimi Hendrix is quite possibly the most overrated guitarist and musician in general.

metaljunkie22
02-11-2006, 02:00 PM
in honesty i really think eric clapton is overrated, ive heard his stuff, and its not difficult, impressive, or all that goodm but thats to me personally, also i think santana is way overrate

Stratocaster93
02-11-2006, 10:22 PM

Well said, Mr. Howard. Well said. :golfclap:

uselessabused
02-12-2006, 05:48 AM
even though i like blink 182 i must also say that he is over rated

JesusandZepRule
02-13-2006, 09:05 PM

First of all hedrix did not fully teach his self his brother in law taught some.I cannot Recall the guy name but he Shortey something and married hedrix sister and show jimi some guiatr licks.

Angus_Young007
02-14-2006, 06:28 PM
**** Your All Idiots, Hendrix Is Not Overrated? What The ****? And Angus Young? If He Is Anything, He Is Underrated, ****ing Morons, And Kurt Cobain Is The Most Overrated ****er On The Planet, He Was Just A ****ing Spastic.

LDloi
02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
every one is talkin about dimebag where i live, probally because its still on the news around here, but i would say kurt cobain too

Hey man he had the abilltey to right great songs :rolleyes:

(\__/)
( >.<)
(")__(")

Ace_Frehley
02-15-2006, 09:10 PM
oh and people like him for doing dick

Unchained31
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
i think hendrix was great guitarist he invinted a lot of crap and changed music angus young is good i have his dvd's kurt cobain was just very popular had some good songs and changed music

and whoever says EVH is overrated id like to hear you come up with riffs like him

PlugOfDoom
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I used to think Hendrix was overrated...that was until I tried learning some of his songs. The crap that guy could play is amazing...and even if he is hitting all sorts of weird notes, it sounds good!

Most overrated though... I'd have to say the Edge. His main weapon is freakin' delay...ANYBODY who can switch on a effect pedal can reproduce him.

LFrid
10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
K guys listen to me, I'm sure you will all agree

The most over-rated guitarist of all time, IS.......

BB KING!

why does everyone think he is good? he knows like 7 notes of the pentatonic scale and thats it, he cant even play chords. It's just cause he's a big name, but how he ever got big baffles me. I could've played circles around BB King when i was 13. :)

BigFatSandwich
10-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I could've played circles around BB King when i was 13. :)
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/francobolo/atomicCards/forumTroll.jpg

imthehitcher
10-10-2006, 03:46 PM
well id say kurt cobain but i dont thing anyone rates him as a great guitarist, or atleast they SHOULDNT!
I think maybe Edge

but i rekon Wes Borland and The Guy from Dillenger Escape Plan are SO under rated they are actually emmense, well wes borland is just a legend but still they are sooo under rated

blues_rocker
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
K guys listen to me, I'm sure you will all agree

The most over-rated guitarist of all time, IS.......

BB KING!

why does everyone think he is good? he knows like 7 notes of the pentatonic scale and thats it, he cant even play chords. It's just cause he's a big name, but how he ever got big baffles me. I could've played circles around BB King when i was 13. :)

HostileDaRebel
10-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Steve Vai

I Play Guitar!
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satrini
Steve Vai
Zakk Wylde
Ynwgie Malmsteen
Dimebag

all overrated IMO

haotehmao
10-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Herman Li and Sam Totman was way overrated. Sloppy as hell
Steve Vai is kinda overrated. He doesn't make alot of great tunes except maybe Tender Surrender. And he abuses the whammy bar too much. >:(
Kirk Hammett for his wha-wha abuse
Edge for his delay abuse
Santana for his hammer ons/pull offs

underrated : Chris Broderick IMO

killtheashamed
10-13-2006, 10:58 PM
kurt cobaine (sp?)
angus young

slashwyldepage
10-13-2006, 11:02 PM
both a7x guitarists

ClassicalGuitar
10-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd say Jimi Hendrix.
Kurt Cobain is better as a singer. aww...c'mon! i've heard of at least 723 guitarists as good as Kurt, including my grampa! lol
(no, i didn't say Kurt sucks)

AthenasGhost
10-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Hate to say this, but Slash and Dimebag.

jagstang270
10-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Nobody ever said that Kurt Cobain was an awesome guitarist..

I actually like his guitar style (yes, he had a guitar style)

Nighthawk551
10-14-2006, 10:31 PM
John Frusciante and Kirk Hammett are both overrated.

kirkisking
10-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Alexi motherfucking Laiho.

The Virtuoso
10-15-2006, 04:13 AM

Randy Rhoads huh, funny how I didn't see him on a single page as being overrated besides you and how it seems that you picked a couple of random guitarists.

ckmma
10-15-2006, 12:18 PM
although I hate alot of guitarist, I think its pointless for me to defend them, because this thread was made so that you can slag them off, so I'm not going to bother trying to defend them.
if you want to say someones overated say it, this thread was designed for it, if you want to say someones a idiot for saying clapton was crap then do, or start your own thread saying underated guitarist, because really its a waste of time, doing something creactive, in the time I read most of these posts I could have been practicing guitar and learning another song that a overated guitarist wrote.

slipknot369
10-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Nobody ever said that Kurt Cobain was an awesome guitarist..

Exactly, he was never good in the first place.

beanage
10-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Clapton isn't that overrated, he is one of the best. People say that because it is true

glynk71
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Kirk Hammett is perhaps a little repetative, saying that if i could play like that i'd probably play it over and over and over again(tongue pressed firmly in cheek, could you imagine Metallica without him,i wonder, what if DM still played lead)

andrew12398
10-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Around my age, people are praising the emo bands and the bands that use power chords for guitarists, but I'm not sure if they're over-rated because that's only around me.

iamjosh
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
in my humble opinion, the most grossly overrated guitarists are anyone you (that right, you) like. uhuh, that's right. how does that make you feel?

Dingoman
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Im so sick of listening to people praise the classic rock guitarists,mainly the shredders.There good but there are other skills that make you a great guitarist.

Learn_to_fly
10-18-2006, 01:35 AM
All the guitarists mentioned's talent > all the UG users' talent 1000x

jazzparamore
10-18-2006, 04:43 AM
both a7x guitarists

yea i aree with you they are overrated

goodsg
10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Joe Satriani

i disagree.

But who i think is overrated is Yngwie.

The man has no musicality...it sounds like metronome practice...

goodsg
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
By the way you guys actually consider Kurt Cobain a guitarist?? He's a songwriter. He's not a guitarist. I didn't even realize people rated him...

Whats the story
10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
alot of shredders are over rated cuz just because they can play fast dont mean there good...since when was going fast anf finishing quick great in sex?

daytripper75
10-21-2006, 11:03 AM
the guys from avenged sevenfold.

and dont say that i havent even listened to them. my girlfriends brother has one of their cds, and ive listened to the entire thing. i also saw them play live at Ozzfest. they were sloppy, and didnt play anything that i found impressive.

TDKshorty
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
I think everyone here is overrated
can any of you play better than them?
and if so why aren't you selling millions of records?
and where would you be if these guitarists werent so "overrated":kissass:
:mad:

skoll 11
10-24-2006, 08:56 AM
By the way you guys actually consider Kurt Cobain a guitarist?? He's a songwriter. He's not a guitarist. I didn't even realize people rated him...

And I donīt like Metallica but Kirk Hammet is not overrated.

_zac_
10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
jimi hendrix..... "greatest guitarist ever" according to Rolling Stone. John Petrucci wasn't even on the ****ing list, (i am pretty sure) and Adam Jones was all the way down at 75

thedaver21
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I like tom morrelo but alot of his solos just sound dumb and kirk hamet isnt as amazing as everybody says James hetfield is cool though

Gakusey
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Hammet, definitely. Just a very... erm... able guitarist. What I mean is, he is a guitarist, not a musician. His solos are fast, "cool", but musically inept (inapt?). Actually, I'd say the Load/Reload stuff is his better work.

str84ever
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
john frusciante thats all i hear nowadays

and flea

just only RHCP = OVERRATED

nerk13
10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Any famous guitarist can be said to be overrated because they will always have fans who build them up to impossible standards, or just make them sound like something they're not. Basically, all guitarists have been overrated at some point.

jjkinva
11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
My vote goes to Kirk Hammett...he'd be lost without his wah-wah

Garci
11-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I don't give a fuck.

Angus Young, Kurt Cobain, Keith Richards and Slash. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the bands they're in, I respect the influence their music had and everything. I just don't get the hype around them, they aren't that good.

Rock Boy
11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
It's not his skills of guitar playing, but the way he puts his soul into his music that makes him so awesome. R.I.P Jimi Hendrix!

aguynamedlarry
11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Billie joe amstrong. ive never seen anyone throw together a bunch of power chords and call it a record, and then get a signature guitar. wtf is this.

nerk13
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
He's pretty good, leave him alone. He deserved the signature guitar, may not be the best in the world, but he did deserve it.

Zeelod
11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I happen to think this guy at my school is pretty overrated. And there are those people who go, "Wow, that band is popular, that must be a good guitarist." then they go copy all their crap thinking, that they are the crap. But when you look at the music and break it down, it is boring and not very original. And damn, i'm a bassist. actually almost got jumped by all the guitar players at school because I said that Jimmy Paige sucked.

MissMurderScene
11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Billie joe amstrong. ive never seen anyone throw together a bunch of power chords and call it a record, and then get a signature guitar. wtf is this.
hes a great guitarist

KinG KahN
11-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Led Zeppelin

Phag Anselblow
11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
im sure it has been said many times in this thread but i still say kirk hammett is overrated the fact that his solos arent very hard to play at all

Yngwi3
11-03-2006, 07:28 PM
x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

HostileDaRebel
11-06-2006, 08:19 PM
john frusciante thats all i hear nowadays

and flea

just only RHCP = OVERRATED

Excuse me? The chili peppers r geniuses!!!! But Dimebag is so overratted!

larry jones
11-06-2006, 09:44 PM
people who say dimebag is overrated havent listened to pantera in about a year most of the time

you forget how amazing this guy really is when you dont listen to it for a while

"Floods", "10s", "Cemetery Gates", "Domination", "Rise", "Medicine Man", "Walk"

do I need to say more?

shecterbassist
11-06-2006, 11:36 PM
i kinda have to say John Frusciante Because people are talking how hes teh next hendrix and **** and why are you bring flea into this hes a bassist and i mean he did for bass what hendrix did for guitar bascally but anywas frusciante isn't that great of a songwriter hes good but thats it

Arsenix
11-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Dimebag. Never was a fan...

He has tribute **** EVERYWHERE, he was definately 'good' but not 'legendary'

shecterbassist
11-06-2006, 11:38 PM
and to larry jones the song *walk* by pantera wasn't that great of song its all repetetive and i learned the solo in like a half hour so i mean other songs by pantera were amazing just not walk

larry jones
11-07-2006, 12:31 AM
and to larry jones the song *walk* by pantera wasn't that great of song its all repetetive and i learned the solo in like a half hour so i mean other songs by pantera were amazing just not walk
i hear ya

its nothing difficult, but its wicked awesome (sorry ill never say that again) :peace:

kshelt76
11-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I usually hate talking about anything overrated due to the fact that I believe its impossible to rate a person's playing ability, since most rating is based solely on opinion. And since it's impossible to rate something, then there can be no overratedness. For example, in say, college football, Ohio State is rated as the best team in the nation. Now, if they were to lose, then they would obviously have been overrated because they aren't the best team in the nation. However, there is no way to force guitarists to compete with each other, so there really is no way of deciding who is better. Who is better is all based on opinionated preferences, and is therefore not subject to people deciding who is overrated.

However, if it is possible to overrate a guitar player, I would have to say that the most overrated are Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page. I don't think they're as good as everyone makes them out to be. I just said that, Hendrix/Page fans whine/flame away, I don't care.

pinkfloyd77
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
there are a lot of them i find overrated. Angus Young, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and all those crappy shredders (Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde, etc.).

Jimi is a great guitarist but Im tired of everyones "HE IS THE GREATEST GUITARIST WHO EVER LIVED".

Angus and Jimmy Page and those shredders suck.

pinkfloyd77
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
i mean he did for bass what hendrix did for guitar bascally

sorry pal, but that was John Entwistle

RIP "The Ox"

99coconuts
11-08-2006, 09:01 AM
kirk? overrated??

i'm going to go cry in the corner now :(

lol