How to make an ultimate sustain guitar

PDA

View Full Version : How to make an ultimate sustain guitar

Caressing Death
10-03-2005, 02:52 PM
What are some tips for making a guitar with a lot of sustain? Does shape, size, thickness etc matter? I dont want any certain type of pickups so dont suggest any! Basically just tips on how to get more sustain when building a guitar

seljer
10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Neck thru construction

hardtail bridge

probably mahogany body/neck if the les pauls are know for the sustain so much

and you could throw on one of those fernandez sustainer things for good measure too :D

Diabolic Clown
10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Harder woods give a Brighter sound with more sustain, softer woods less sustain and their sound is softer.

DarkHorse85
10-03-2005, 03:35 PM
a digitech main squeezer pedal could sustain you.
so there

mnbaseball91
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Solid oak body should do it...oh wait, you still want it to sound good? ;)

Pretty much what seljer said.

russiaininvader
10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
any dense would will sustain good, there are betters than mahogany. get a good graphite or bone nut too. and good locking tuners. also, the amount of wood, size/thickness, will have a large effect, even shape to a small extent.

Smitherz
10-03-2005, 03:51 PM
io've heard a compresser does too....and an ebow....not sure tho.

OnlytheLonely
10-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I heard that in the 50's or 60's, a guitar was made out of a piece of granite, and that it had crazy sustain. But it was obviously unplayable, and so heavy that it had to be kept on a stand.

ston3
10-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i think it was cement they made it out of, and it was playable but it was so heavy it needed a stand

but imagine the sustain!!

and by the way it was made by fender

according to a TV show

:cheers:

mutated_riff
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
yeah it was a granite fender that had to b played like a lapsteel...except not on ur lap....cuz it was too heavy for that too but everything else sounds about right...inertia has a huge part in string sustain...thicker strings weigh more and sustain longer...a bigger chunk of wood stays still from inertia and the grain in harder wood moves less so less vibrations r absorbed by the wood. different woods absorb different frequencies which cause them to have unique tonal qualities. in theory the best sustain will come from a neck thru guitar made of a dense, hard, heavy wood such as maple, wenge, purpleheart.

BobFromReboot
10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
I hear Locking tuners and certain nuts can improve sustain, what nuts give the best sustain?

mutated_riff
10-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I hear Locking tuners and certain nuts can improve sustain, what nuts give the best sustain?

im guessing bone, ivory or metal (brass) they r all super hard substances