We are scientists

PDA

View Full Version : We are scientists

bobjewell87
10-07-2005, 09:39 AM
anyone else liking this band? I've only just recently started to like them but they some brilliant songs and lead guitar work for a three piece. Is their album out in the uk yet? I know they've just released great escape (phat tune) but not sure LP wise. The site is quite lollable as well. link here (http://www.wearescientists.com)

rikizi
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
yes i love we are scientists, although i think the guitar work is fairly simplistic its all so damn catchy! i posted the nobody move mobody get hurt tab, i realise the solo is slightly out but its all around about there so just make it up. albumwise, i dont think so, just the 2 singles so far
:cool:

Gurgle!Argh!
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
out in the next month i believe.

i just find it really surreal that a band named after a capn jazz song is about to go top 40.

j0nmcc
10-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I made a thread on this like two months ago bob, after i heard nobody move, nobody get hurt.

they're wicked.

i heard their new single on mtv2 the otherday.

such a good band.

jallas
10-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh man Bob I was about to make this exact same thread :D
I heard Nobody move, nobody get hurt a while back and kinda liked it, then ehard it again today on mtv2 and realsied I actually kinda loved it.
:)

edit: www.myspace.com/wearescientists :)

bobjewell87
10-08-2005, 06:20 AM
yes i love we are scientists, although i think the guitar work is fairly simplistic its all so damn catchy! i posted the nobody move mobody get hurt tab, i realise the solo is slightly out but its all around about there so just make it up. albumwise, i dont think so, just the 2 singles so far

i just find it really surreal that a band named after a capn jazz song is about to go top 40..

christ matt, try not to just namecheck any old band. LOL!!111111111 (just kidding babezzz)

I made a thread on this like two months ago bob, after i heard nobody move, nobody get hurt.

they're wicked.

i heard their new single on mtv2 the otherday.

such a good band.

i tried to find that thread poppet, but to no avail. Is this single 'great escape'? or a new one?

Andrewbiles
10-08-2005, 07:22 AM
They are decent but I could see an album getting boring as fast as that first Franz Ferdinand one.

onlyonehere
10-08-2005, 07:41 AM
I really like what i've heard so far. Is on my "to get" list when I have some money lol.

RHCPhysco8
10-08-2005, 10:13 AM
not any different than any other band out there but hey they're still good.

j0nmcc
10-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Great Escape, yeah bob.

R_music_fan
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Saw their song on MTV2 the other day, very good it is too. Bit of a funny vid as well.

Five_X_Five
10-21-2005, 09:34 AM
We Are Scientists are amazing. Just bought the album this Tuesday and it's great. I'm pretty sure you can hear the full album at www.nme.com (http://www.nme.com) but I can't remember exactly where on the site... Anyway, the album...hmm...I'd say alot of the songs have a similar feel to them, it's kinda...one-dimensional. Having said that, it is a pretty damn fine dimension. If you like the singles, you probably can't go wrong with t'album.

j0nmcc
10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
when did it come out, i want it. xD

Five_X_Five
10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
It came out Monday, imbecile!

Just kidding, you're great!

j0nmcc
10-21-2005, 10:38 AM
damn right, :D

ah i might pick it up today then!

:D

Or, if not...soon

bobjewell87
10-21-2005, 11:08 AM
wanted to see these guys in lougborough supporting the editors. But alas, nothing came of it! Might get this album really.

EmO_RuleZ!!
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I heard "Nobody Moves, Nobody Gets Hurt" or something like that and it gets stuck in my head. So, yeah I think it's good.

tezhall
10-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Not heard much by them, but a respected mate of mine saw them support Editors in Cambridge not long back, and his advice was to get Editors and give these guys a miss. Since I already have Editors, and it rapidly slid down the playlist compared to Maximo Park et al, I'll be sidestepping these I reckon.

KamikazeCal
10-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah I really like them i think I may ask big ol' santa for their album

supergal1016
10-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I keep meaning to listen to them, anyone know if they're out in the US? Anyone want to PM me some samples of their stuff?

j0nmcc
10-31-2005, 05:47 AM
I got their album on friday. It's amazing.

Well, it's not amazing. But, it's a damn good listen.

Get it.

Oh and Supergal1016... http://www.wearescientists.com/music/

jallas
10-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I got the album at the weekend, I think it's absolutely fantastic. I can't stop lsitening to it :D

buzzlikeafridge
11-04-2005, 08:31 PM

i just find it really surreal that a band named after a capn jazz song is about to go top 40.

exactly my thoughts! Although I came across a crap post-hardcore band recently called Scary Kids Scaring Kids.

Gurgle!Argh!
11-05-2005, 06:42 AM
^yeah, i heard them.... horrible...

tezhall
11-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I got their album on friday. It's amazing.

Well, it's not amazing. But, it's a damn good listen.

Get it.

I got the album at the weekend, I think it's absolutely fantastic. I can't stop lsitening to it :D

Hm. May need a rethink on my "give them a miss" statement here, my tastes seem spookily close to both of yours :confused:

ragingtom
11-19-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah they are great, I have their E.P and their new album, they rule, but the guitar is so easy, but it is catchy

Andrewbiles
11-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Hm. May need a rethink on my "give them a miss" statement here, my tastes seem spookily close to both of yours :confused:

If you've got iTunes there's a free track on there at the moment. I think they'll take it down on Monday though.

MattDaviesFFAF
11-19-2005, 02:08 PM
One of the bands that are in the good half of named after a C'n'J song.

Though, there are only two that I know.

And Scary Kids Scaring Kids are rubbish.

So... yeah....

They're good.

:wtf:

bobjewell87
11-19-2005, 02:23 PM
'it's a hit' is such a great song, i have no idea why i still havent bought this album

j0nmcc
11-19-2005, 04:55 PM
why not bob, you ass. :p:

vampires
11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Great band with great tunes. I wanted to see them at the Barfly with Editors but alas! i was not quick enough/didn't put in enough effort. For a long time I thought the bloke with the moustache was the lead singer and I was like wow! he sounds so good through a moustache but recently I found out is it Keith not Chris (the tach in question)

jallas
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
If you've got iTunes there's a free track on there at the moment. I think they'll take it down on Monday though.
I sent him a copy of the album (posted today so should arrive tomorrow) in return for the copy of the Arcade Fire's EP he sent back in July :D

tezhall
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
*yay* :D

j0nmcc
11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
i want to be in on these cd trades :sad: :p:

jallas
11-24-2005, 03:17 PM
lol can be arranged, if you ever want something you know I have I'll be more than happy to send you a copy Jon ;)

j0nmcc
11-24-2005, 03:29 PM
w00t.

me too.

hey add me on msn. ill msg you on myspace in a second. :)

tezhall
11-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah Jon, if ever you need an Embrace compilation putting together then let me know, I'll be happy to oblige :D

The Mofaster
11-24-2005, 07:34 PM
These guys are good...

Although it's stuff that i have heard before on other bands...

martyr
11-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Is there anyway I can get ahold of this via SoulSeek, or any messenger program from a willing party? I would be most obliged.

:)

jallas
11-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Tez whatcha think of the album?

tezhall
11-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Tez whatcha think of the album?
*me likes it very much http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/ns/forum_v3/images/smilies/new%20ban.gif

jallas
11-25-2005, 06:04 PM
:D yay

SimonomiS
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM

Can anyone add a totally accurate version?

I know it's only the solo that's slightly off (the ending and a bit at the beginning I think) but it's really annoying me.

slinks
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
There's just something about them that really appeals to me. I'm usually not into these kinds of bands but I bought the album the day it came out and have been listening to it in spurts ever since. I'll hopefully be seeing them live on June 19th. :)

mrFood
06-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Ugh, I liked them for a while, but after a while it hit me how boring and unoriginal they really are. I like the song 'Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt,' but the rest of them kind of suck. =P

That is one WICKED drumbeat,, tho.

Abe
06-06-2006, 09:29 AM
^Hmm, I think NM, NGH is one of the poorer tracks myself. The album's good, Can't Lose, Great Escape and Lousy Reputation are my favourites.

Anyway, there's a gig of theirs on www.fabchannel.com - unfortunately most of the crowd only seem to be there for Great Escape, and don't get into the band at all.

somethingfunni
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
i woz really impressed by their album but afta about a few weeks it got kinda boring, the band are realli kool tho

tauket2
06-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I saw them Friday night opening for the Arctic Monkeys in Montreal. i had never heard of them before but i was quite nicely surprised by them. I bought their album the next day. Didnt like it as much as their live sound, but it was still pretty good.

good band

-chris-

p.s. pics from the show:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/rocktarist/wasguitar.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/rocktarist/wasdrums.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/rocktarist/wasbass.jpg

alliwant
06-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I hate them. My friend put their record on and after the first few songs I just had to walk away. It's the vocalist more than anything else.

Guitarist132
06-18-2006, 11:44 AM
They get old fast.

Room On Fire
06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
ehh, they're ok. I loved them when I first heard them but the songs get progressively more boring and repetative after I listened to them more. I hardly listen to them at all anymore. They were pretty good live though, saw them with the Arctic Monkeys in NYC last week.

Cadd99
07-03-2006, 02:40 AM
They are the ****. So freaking good, and pretty diverse for a fun indie band. They have a great sense of humor, amazing melodies, catchy riffs, and great, fun to listen to songs. What more could you ask for. No bells and whistles, just three instruments and vocals. That's what I'm talking about.

Plus they have great senses of humor.

GeordinVishell
07-03-2006, 03:54 AM
I like them a lot, I think I'm going to get their new cd. "The Great Escape" is so good...

martyr
08-19-2006, 03:08 AM
bizzump for dopeness

grunge geek al
08-19-2006, 02:28 PM
yeh i'm a big fan. got their album 8 months ago and i still listen to it at least twice a week, they're better than most of the other indie bands (who are mostly all quite good)

jallas
08-19-2006, 03:48 PM
ahh just seen 'em on V fest E4 highlights and realised I'd forgot I liked 'em. Keith is awesome.

Cal UK
08-27-2006, 03:41 AM
I do like 'em a lot I really like Great Escape.

moon child
08-29-2006, 07:30 PM
haha ok if you want some good laughs go to their website and try to find the thing about the ice... I have pretty much never laughed so hard in my life... here I'll make it easy for you... here's the link
http://www.wearescientists.com/reviews/2005/03/gas-station-marketing.html

Yakult
08-30-2006, 05:08 AM
They're such a great band in interviews, they're hilarious :p:

I've seen them twice, once at Give It A Name, and once in a tiny venue called the Tunbridge Wells Forum... There was about 30 people there, no joke. I'll try to find my pictures from it, because it amazing!

I love that these guys sing about fancying the girl in the science lab... Geeks ftw!

trev_smith12
08-31-2006, 05:15 PM
They're such a great band in interviews, they're hilarious :p:

Yeah, I saw them interviewed on Muchmusic and I was almost on the floor laughing.

I think I'm gonna go see them with Art Brut, if I can find someone to go with. Anyone else have trouble getting their friends to come see indie rock shows?

stepco12345
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I like their cover of Hoppipolla.

Oh and their album is quite well done too Its just that a few of their songs get old a little to quickly.

GLP_Arclite
11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
im going to see we are scientists in about an hour, great band, great songs, cant wait for their next record :D

Andrewbiles
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
What is the next album? I noticed it was out this month but saw a couple of remixes, so is it a b-sides album already?

slinks
11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I think I'm gonna go see them with Art Brut, if I can find someone to go with. Anyone else have trouble getting their friends to come see indie rock shows?

I am. I want to go see Owen and The Appleseed Cast but can't get a straight answer out of anyone.

grunge geek al
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
What is the next album? I noticed it was out this month but saw a couple of remixes, so is it a b-sides album already?

yeah, it's a B-side/rarities album, which also has a DVD with a full live show.

Abe
11-02-2006, 01:30 PM
*sigh* Why can't bands just make two studio albums :rolleyes:

GLP_Arclite
11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
they hinted that they were starting a new album late december/mid january

and they really are fantastic live, i mean really really good

Andrewbiles
11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah, it's a B-side/rarities album, which also has a DVD with a full live show.

What a f*cking waste of time. They've released one album and a few singles. Just shows that the record label doesn't hold much hope for them lasting for much longer.

tauket2
11-04-2006, 08:41 PM
i saw them a couple weeks ago. Actually, i went up on stage while they were playing "The Scene is Dead" and i stood between Chris and Keith and i did a handstand. then their roadie ran towards me and was going to push me off the stage, so i came down and kicked him in the head, and jumped back into the crowd.

my friend took this pic, but he was a bit early, thats me while im mid sequence going into the handstand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/tauket2/P1010351.jpg

-chris-

sponj
11-04-2006, 09:11 PM
now that was stupid.

GLP_Arclite
11-05-2006, 05:57 AM
now that was stupid.

stupid...or awesome? :headbang:

Mmm_Pie
01-02-2007, 01:08 AM
What a f*cking waste of time. They've released one album and a few singles. Just shows that the record label doesn't hold much hope for them lasting for much longer.

Argh Jesus Christ! If your gonna insult a band on a thread that is obviously for people who like the band then at least back up your arguments.
We Are Scientists have 3 E.P's and 3 albums, the E.P's and 1 album can be found on Nebulize My Mind (http://www.Nebulizemymind.com) and Crap Attack was meant for fans to have all the songs that WAS have already recorded but haven't used. Finally, this band is extremely better live, the band just seems to have some sort of energy and connection with the audience that makes for great entertainment.

Abe
01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
^He didn't even say whether he liked them or not, or really insult them. He made a good point. A b-sides/rarities album after ONE breakthrough studio album is a waste of time, and I won't be listening to it, though I'll keep my ears out for a new album, because I still like the first one.

garden of grey
01-04-2007, 01:02 AM
One of the few bands in this forum I like. It just seems pretty catchy to me. (1st post in this subforum with over 1000 total posts.)

Mmm_Pie
01-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd generally take "a f*cking waste of time" as an insult if I was a musician. For a band who has been on tour for over two years now it is quite demanding to expect them to record anything new. They have infact taken a break from touring and are recording right now, expect a release around this time next year.

Abe
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
^Yeah, see what you mean, but they still don't have to put out a b-sides/rarities album in the meantime. I suppose it's something new for the fans, but I think andrew's right when he says it could be the label not holding out much hope for the next new studio release.

Andrewbiles
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I'd generally take "a f*cking waste of time" as an insult if I was a musician. For a band who has been on tour for over two years now it is quite demanding to expect them to record anything new. They have infact taken a break from touring and are recording right now, expect a release around this time next year.

If they're touring why would you expect them to record anything new? Why would you expect them to release anything new? Personally I'd only expect a new album if they said, "right, we're taking four months out to record a new record". It's not like they've gone and done that, they've just gone and compiled odds and ends and released them as a CD to cash in whilst they're still in some kind of limelight.
I'm not necessarily saying that the b-sides/rarities album will be bad, I just really dislike the idea of them and think they're a bit of a cop-out and a desperate money grabber.

tezhall
01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Have to agree about the B-sides album. It's been out ages as well, certainly Solo Records in Exeter had a shelf full of them back in October.