what do I use to polish a guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : what do I use to polish a guitar?

RKG
10-08-2005, 07:19 AM
my teacher told me she's been using lemon pledge or any pledge for that matter for years and finds it better than any other guitar polishing product... but I look it up online and everyone specifically says stay away from pledge. I'm confused

jj1565
10-08-2005, 07:25 AM
you should stick to standard guitar polish. its cheap and lasts for years.
polish on the finished body, and oil on the fretboard a couple times a year. linseed oil or fretboard conditioner.

theres a bunch of types on this page...
http://www.music123.com/search/?src=guitar+polish

RKG
10-08-2005, 07:36 AM
hmm... I've been using Bor's oil actually.. it's used on most wood instruments.

rubbing alchohol is ok on the fret board and the body, right?

jj1565
10-08-2005, 07:45 AM
nope drys out the board and and is all wrong for the body.

a polish on the body and an oil on the board. once or twice a year max for the oil. and i dont know what bors oil is but see what its made of. lemon or linseed are the usual fretboard oils used.

just remember a guitar is a painted finish like a car. so ull want something like a car polish to keep it glossy.

and the board is like a wood table. u want a light oil to keep it conditioned.

RKG
10-08-2005, 07:46 AM
so what can I use that can actually clean the body?

for the fret I used rubbing alcohol and then put bor's oil and then let it sit for 2 days rubbing the oil in once in awhile.

jj1565
10-08-2005, 07:49 AM
yea ur over doing it. ^and i edited my last post. so read that part.

i use dunlop guitar polish. i also have to turle wax car polish. for the body.

and a martin fretboard conditioner. 1-2 times a year. i really cant stress that enough.

whole thing costs about 6 bucks.

RKG
10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
sweet, thanks

jj1565
10-08-2005, 07:53 AM
no prob.

niko22225
02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Hello. I have acoustic guitar like for 4 years but I didnt used it lot only the last Two months.I never oiled it or something so I don't know much about this things.But I bought an electric guitar and I want to keep it in good condition etc. Where can I buy REALLY cheap oils etc. with shipping to UK? Thanks

jj1565
02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Hello. I have acoustic guitar like for 4 years but I didnt used it lot only the last Two months.I never oiled it or something so I don't know much about this things.But I bought an electric guitar and I want to keep it in good condition etc. Where can I buy REALLY cheap oils etc. with shipping to UK? Thanks

sorry, i forget the name of the popular online guitar site in the UK.

but any dunlop or similar "lemon" oil is good for rosewood fretboards,

and and guitar polish is good for Finished surfaces. (usually the painted or guitar body area)