"Chimey Chords"

PDA

View Full Version : "Chimey Chords"

maddd0g
10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Chimey Chords

Recently ive been experimenting alot with chords using abnormal chords with open strings, and ive decided to make lesson on these chords. The chords are made from notes around the 6th 7th and 8th frets and sometimes higher to take advantage of all the doubled notes and octaves that make these chords "chimey".

Here is an example:
E-0 This note is E
B-0 This note is B
G-9 This note is E
D-9 This note is B
A-7 This note is E
E-0 This note is E
^ E5 Chord

Play that chord, now you know what i mean by "chimey".
Notice how the same note is repeated multiple times in different octaves (4 E's and 2 B's).

Here is a couple more examples:
E-15 E-10 E-0 E-0
B-15 B-8 B-0 B-5
G-0 G-0 G-4 G-0
D-0 D-7 D-6 D-5
A-14 A-X A-7 A-3
E-15 E-10 E-0 E-0

Notice how the first chord is just the open G-Major chord with the fingered notes transposed one octave(12 frets) up. This works well for most open chords.

Droned notes

You can also take advantage of these open stings to create droned notes.
Find chimey chords in the same key with the same open stings and play around with them, arpegiate them, strum em, whatever. This can work very well for soft acoustic pieces.

Experiment and come up with some chords of your own. The posibilites are almost endless.

*This contribution is imcomplete lots more examples and things to come*
*Suggestions and comments are appreciated*
-Maddd0g

Arkane
10-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Chimey chords kick ass, killer post.

maddd0g
10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
^ Yes they do! (;^Д^)

marchoso
10-09-2005, 09:26 PM
^Д^
Is that a cheerleader?

Anyway, it's a good start. Though I really wasn't a fan of any of those chords. Keep it coming!

maddd0g
10-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Is that a cheerleader?

Anyway, it's a good start. Though I really wasn't a fan of any of those chords. Keep it coming!
A cheerleader?
No, its some character I saw from some wierd ass japanese flash animation.

PickNGrin
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I dont think I've ever heard the term "chimey chord" but I like it. I use these types of chords on 12 string. ...Then it really gets "chimey" :D
Your first example could be called "E5".

maddd0g
10-10-2005, 04:07 PM
^ Its Pick!
Yeah, i've never heard the term chimey chords either till I had to make a title for the thread. :p:
I think im going to do a little section on tapped "chimey" chords. after i finish the droning part.

SilentDeftone
10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
They aren't "chimey chords", there are no such thing, they're just different voicings. By the way Pick, harmonics are not called "chimes". :) And yeah, it's E5. :cheers:

-SD :dance:

ghettohippygrrl
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
How are these chimey? I don't hear anything special about them. And when I read the title (chimey chords) I assumed this was gonna be about natural harmonics. That sound is what I'd call chimey... I don't see how this is chimey. But then again, I use weird open chord voicings all the time because I hate barred chords. /me shrugs. :)

Oh wait, I think I get it sort of. Yeah, the notes are all the same so it sounds echoey or something for lack of a better word. But "chime" is really the wrong word here.

PickNGrin
10-11-2005, 01:11 PM
"chimes" is term that's been around a long time -I first heard in the 70's. LOL!
Yep -probably been around longer than some of you. You are just not familier with the term. Its not wrong -just the difference between calling a can of soda a can of pop, or -You calling your guitar an axe ---your guitar is not really axe -an axe chops wood!
In short ---it's slang
"Shredding" -is the act of tearing something apart - yet, we use the term to refer to soloing -right? Chime is simply slang for harmonics that has been around a long, long time my friend.
see below

here is a site I found that uses the term "chimes" -not just me ;)
http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip132.html

SilentDeftone
10-11-2005, 01:17 PM
In my opinion a teacher should use proper terms for what s/he's teaching.

Shredding doesn't exclusively refer to soloing, nor does soloing refer exclusively to shredding?

This isn't really the place to have this discussion though, since it is in this guy's thread. I'll look over the stuff once you put it all up.

maddd0g
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Erm..
I know theres no such thing as chimey chords..
I just couldn't think of a proper name, actually I dont think there is one.
I know there isnt much special about it, I just thought that these different voicings were cool because some of them give your a 12-string like effect. (if your using a 12-string does it give you a 24-string like effect?)

I was planning to write more, but this really isnt a valid topic and I cant think of where to go with this. Should i just delete it?

SilentDeftone
10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't know, it really is just about some different voicings of chords. I don't know where you might go with it?

lindex
10-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Chime?y is just a proper term as any.

It sounds cool because it uses more than one octave.
Just look at a piano, how boring would it be if piano players only played chords using the minimal number of notes for the chord (three finger major)?
Boring as hell; that?s why we use more than one octave because it produces a more full sound, it?s more pleasant to the ear.

It occurred to me after reading this thread that someone could use a technique like this to expand the dynamic of any piece. Maybe less voices on a verse more voices (open strings) on a chorus kind of stuff. Maybe I'm just stating the obvious but it seems like the options are only as limited as the composer.

ghettohippygrrl
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
The lesson could be about choosing different chord voicings. Like, I wrote this song, and I use a chord 557700 but then I realized it would've just been easier to use 020200 instead. But I noticed that way I chose sounds better anyway because it's higher. Or something, I don't really know. But my point is, different voicings can sound better than others, even though they're the same chord.

...Whoa, wait, I just realized that 557700 is like a "chimey" chord that you mentioned! Hmm, okay. Well, I think it's a good lesson. I might talk about chord voicings in general, but I think the idea of using different voicings has a lot of merit. :)

lindex
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
The lesson could be about choosing different chord voicings. Like, I wrote this song, and I use a chord 557700 but then I realized it would've just been easier to use 020200 instead. But I noticed that way I chose sounds better anyway because it's higher. Or something, I don't really know. But my point is, different voicings can sound better than others, even though they're the same chord.

...Whoa, wait, I just realized that 557700 is like a "chimey" chord that you mentioned! Hmm, okay. Well, I think it's a good lesson. I might talk about chord voicings in general, but I think the idea of using different voicings has a lot of merit. :)

Yeah you got me :P

ghettohippygrrl
10-19-2005, 02:55 PM
What do you mean?

P.S. Awesome and helpful and multi-functional site: http://www.jguitar.com/

lindex
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM
What do you mean?

P.S. Awesome and helpful and multi-functional site: http://www.jguitar.com/

Oh, oops my mistake.
I just skimmed over your reply (you hit reply to my post) in email and I thought you were poking fun at me... Maybe I should read before I reply :\