Metal Riffs 101

PDA

View Full Version : Metal Riffs 101

ChildOfBodom666
10-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Alright, first I'd like to introduce myself, my names Andrew and I've been playing for 6 months, I know it doesn't seem like long but I practice twice as much as anyone I know. Now, on to the lesson

First, tune your guitar to standard tuning. If you don't have a tuner, strike the fifth fret on the top string, it should be the thickest, it's called the E string, now hit the one right below it, if the sounds match, those two strings are tuned! Repeat this process down until you reach the 3rd and 2nd to the bottom, on these strings, instead of the fifth fret, pick the 4th. These are the only two strings this rule comes into play with.

POWERCHORDS 101

A powerchord, is basicly a strum, in which most cases uses the top four strings, mostly the top two or three. There are, as far as I know, two kinds of powerchords, since you are probably a beginner, I won't use the fancy names, lets call the first type, the straight down powerchords. They usually consist of two or three strings, one finger across the same fret on all three, like this, but note they aren't be definition powerchords, I'm simply including them in this section because it requires the same "quick strumming" motion with your pick.:

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|

Now, play that a few times to get the feel of it. You should be using distortion or overdrive, if you aren't already, turn it on, and slam it again!
The second type, is done with usually two fingers, the index on the thickest string in the chord, and another on the next two, but two frets down, like this:

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|
|3-3-5-5|

Play that a few times, using downstrokes only for now! I want you to play both of those examples a few times, then try and play this.

|-----------------------|
|5-7-5-7-5-7-5-7-5-7-5-7|
|5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5|

Work on that until you can play it fairly quick, without messing up, then move on to the mini-quiz

Ok, now, if you have been practicing the above items, you should be able to play the main riff to Iron Man, let's try

|-----------------------------------|
|4-7-7-9-9-12-11-12-11-12-11-9-7-9-9|
|2-5-5-7-7-10-9--10-9--10-9--7-5-7-7|

That might be kind of scary, but! Don't worry, it's not that hard! Trust me, it was the first thing I ever learned! Ok, well keep playing that until you can keep up with the song, then move on to the next lesson

Palm Muting and Staccato

Now onto something a little harder to master, palm muting, it's not very hard, but can be tricky on faster stuff, all you do is put the side of your picking hand against the strings, this will give a very short version of the note. Try playing the basic powerchords above with palm muting! After you can play them at the same speed, try this, and try and figure out with notes you're supposed to mute!

(I'll have an example in the actual lesson once I post it)

Did you get it? If so, GREAT! If not, it's the ones with the periods under them, but hey it's ok! I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do when there was a period there, but there was no one to help me, so I had to just figure it out! Well, anyways, moving on to staccatos, a staccato is a short, but unmuted note? How do you do that? You release it after you pick or strum it, but let your fingers mute it by resting on the string, understand? Try this, note the ones with periods next to them are to be staccatoed

|------------------------|
|5.-5.-5.-7.-7.-7.-7.-1.-|

Now, that's not that hard is is? Now, combining everything you've learned, let's play a Heavy Metal Classic, Holy Diver, by Dio!

|-------------------------------------|
|5-5-5-5-5.-5.-5-7-8-5-5-5-5-5.-5.-8-3|
|3-3-3-3-3.-3.-3-5-6-3-3-3-3-3.-3.-6-1|
. . . .-------------. . . .

That was part of the main riff, can you play it? You should! If not you might need to practice the other stuff above more! If you can, play along with the song for a little while, then let's move on

Hammer Ons and Pull Offs

HOs and POs, are mainly used in soloing, and bridge riffs, but can often be used in other stuff as well. A hammer on, is when you HAMMER ON! To a fret, and a pull off, it when you pull that finger off, to go back to the fret you were playing before you hammered on. I want you to pick the fifth fret on the bottom string, holding the fret with your index finger. Now, with your middle finger, slam on to the seven with your middle finger, now pull it off. Did you hear that? Yea, it went higher, then went back to the same! It's cool isn't it? Let's try something using only the bottom string

|7h9p7h9p7h9p7h9p7|

Keep doing that, and try changing the frets if you want! Have a little fun, hammering on and pulling off can help you make things sound more Lagato, or smooth, let's see if you've got it down yet, and combine this with Powerchords! Don't worry, it won't be that hard! I promise! Let's play Layla, by Derick and The Dominoes, I know it's not the most hardcore metal song in the world, but it's cool.

|------------------------------|
|---0h3p0--0-7-5-3-2-3-5---5-7-|
|0h3-----h3--5-3-1-0-1-3-8-3-5-|
|------------------------6-----|

See? It's not hard when you practice enough! Keep trying until it sounds good, then move on!

Open/Fret/Open/Fret

Well, I honestly don't know what the name for this is, but it sounds good in alot of cases, it's when you hit an open on a string, then hit a fret on that same string, then an open, then a fret! It's not hard, but can make you sound fast! Example: Bad To The Bone

|-------------|
|-------------|
|-------------|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|

Well, with all that there, lets play the Intro to Unholy Confessions, by the Metalcore band, Avenged Sevenfold

(Same as above, example to be posted with actual lesson)

YAY! Aren't you proud of yourself? Well, I've had fun, and with this information, try and put something together of your own! It may not be the best, but I'm sure you'll do fine, til next time!

Muppet
10-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Why didn't you post this as a lesson? Good information for beginners, but VERY basic stuff. Green Day players vwill like it a lot :D

SilentDeftone
10-11-2005, 10:15 AM
:haha

Read the forum FAQ, n00b. This is what the forum's for.

Erm, at a glance you seem to have left out quite a bit of info, i.e. that you've tuned down to drop D for most of your examples.

Also some wrong info. A power chord is not a strum :rolleyes: it's a harmonic interval.

I'll review it more in-depth in a bit, after I get some food. :liplick: mmmmm?*tasty.

-SD :dance:

jof1029
10-11-2005, 11:09 AM
a couple things. first, your palm muting dots dont line up because when you post something, multiple spaces are condensed into one. so if you type 3 spaces between periods, only one shows up.

second, the high e is usually referred to as the top string, not the low E. or thats at least how ive heard them referred to. you use the other way around, which is ok i guess cause you explain that you are doing so. just wanted to point that out though.

as SD said, you seem to have tuned to drop D for some of your examples, but you said you were only going to be in standard. those one finger powerchords of yours are not powerchords any more if you are in standard. they have three separate notes, not 2 like a poewer chord. i use them as sus4 chords, the middle string is the root.

the main thing is, there are A LOT of metal lessons on this site in the styles section, something like 9 or 10. this really doesnt stand out from any of them. if you want this to be a good lesson you need to go more in depth on how to do each of your techniques, ie better description of palm muting. maybe you could describe a few more techniques (harmonics, frethand muting, etc). adding a section on how to write metal music would be good. just add anything you think of that will help this lesson if you want it to be good. otherwise, it will just join those other mediocre lessons as being minimally helpful. if i were you i would try to add things, because you have something that many of the other lessons dont have, a good command of the english language. your writing is interesting and is well done. the fact that you arent writing in text speak gives you a big boost over a few of the lessons.

so basicly, what you have is ok, needs a bit of fixing, and you are going to need to add a bit to make this into a good lesson. but i like your writing style, so i would try to add stuff if i were you. let me know if you need any ideas or help and ill do my best :)

Dyuha
11-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I'll review it more in-depth in a bit, after I get some food. :liplick: mmmmm?*tasty.

Well, I guess you've got enough food SD, so give some directions to ChildOfBodom666. It's time to upload a couple of new lessons, isn't it?

SilentDeftone
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Actually as I'm reading this I'm still eating :sad:

Alright, first I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Andrew and I've been playing for 6 months, I know it doesn't seem like long but I practice twice as much as anyone I know. Now, on to the lesson.

First, tune your guitar to standard tuning. If you don't have a tuner, strike the fifth fret on the top string, it should be the thickest, it's called the E string, now hit the one right below it, if the sounds match, those two strings are tuned! Repeat this process down until you reach the 3rd and 2nd to the bottom, on these strings, instead of the fifth fret, pick the 4th. These are the only two strings this rule comes into play with.

POWER CHORDS 101

A power chord is basically a strum, in which most cases uses the top four strings, mostly the top two or three. There are, as far as I know, two kinds of power chords, since you are probably a beginner, I won't use the fancy names; let's call the first type the straight down power chords. They usually consist of two or three strings, one finger across the same fret on all three, like this, but note they aren't by definition power chords, I'm simply including them in this section because it requires the same "quick strumming" motion with your pick:

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|

Now, play that a few times to get the feel of it. You should be using distortion or overdrive, if you aren't already, turn it on, and slam it again!
The second type is done with usually two fingers, the index on the thickest string in the chord, and another on the next two, but two frets down, like this:

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|5-5-7-7|
|5-5-7-7|
|3-3-5-5|

Play that a few times, using downstrokes only for now! I want you to play both of those examples a few times, then try and play this.

|5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5|

Work on that until you can play it fairly quick, without messing up, then move on to the mini-quiz.

Ok, now, if you have been practicing the above items, you should be able to play the main riff to Iron Man, let's try

That might be kind of scary, but! Don't worry, it's not that hard! Trust me, it was the first thing I ever learned! Ok, well keep playing that until you can keep up with the song, then move on to the next lesson

Palm Muting and Staccato

Now onto something a little harder to master, palm muting, it's not very hard, but can be tricky on faster stuff, all you do is put the side of your picking hand against the strings, this will give a very short version of the note. Try playing the basic power chords above with palm muting! After you can play them at the same speed, try this, and try and figure out with notes you're supposed to mute!

(I'll have an example in the actual lesson once I post it)

Did you get it? If so, GREAT! If not, it's the ones with the periods under them, but hey it's ok! I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do when there was a period there, but there was no one to help me, so I had to just figure it out! Well, anyways, moving on to staccatos, a staccato is a short, but unmuted note? How do you do that? You release it after you pick or strum it, but let your fingers mute it by resting on the string, understand? Try this, note the ones with periods next to them are to be played staccato.

|5.-5.-5.-7.-7.-7.-7.-1.-|

Now, that's not that hard is is? Now, combining everything you've learned, let's play a Heavy Metal Classic, Holy Diver, by Dio!

|5-5-5-5-5.-5.-5-7-8-5-5-5-5-5.-5.-8-3|
|3-3-3-3-3.-3.-3-5-6-3-3-3-3-3.-3.-6-1|
. . . .-------------. . . .

That was part of the main riff, can you play it? You should! If not you might need to practice the other stuff above more! If you can, play along with the song for a little while, then let's move on.

Hammer Ons and Pull Offs

HOs and POs are mainly used in soloing, and bridge riffs, but can often be used in other stuff as well. A hammer on, is when you HAMMER ON! To a fret, and a pull off, it when you pull that finger off, to go back to the fret you were playing before you hammered on. I want you to pick the fifth fret on the bottom string, holding the fret with your index finger. Now, with your middle finger, slam on to the seven with your middle finger, now pull it off. Did you hear that? Yea, it went higher, then went back to the same! It's cool isn't it? Let's try something using only the bottom string

|--7h9p7h9p7h9p7h9p7--|

Keep doing that, and try changing the frets if you want! Have a little fun, hammering on and pulling off can help you make things sound more legato, or smooth, let's see if you've got it down yet, and combine this with power chords! Don't worry, it won't be that hard! I promise! Let's play Layla, by Derick and The Dominoes, I know it's not the most hardcore metal song in the world, but it's cool.

|---0h3p0--0-7-5-3-2-3-5---5-7-|
|0h3-----h3--5-3-1-0-1-3-8-3-5-|
|------------------------6-----|

See? It's not hard when you practice enough! Keep trying until it sounds good, then move on!

Open/Fret/Open/Fret

Well, I honestly don't know what the name for this is, but it sounds good in a lot of cases, it's when you hit an open on a string, then hit a fret on that same string, then an open, then a fret! It's not hard, but can make you sound fast! Example: Bad To The Bone

|-------------|
|-------------|
|-------------|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|
|0-0-5-0-3-0--|

Well, with all that there, lets play the Intro to Unholy Confessions, by the Metalcore band, Avenged Sevenfold.

(Same as above, example to be posted with actual lesson)

YAY! Aren't you proud of yourself? Well, I've had fun, and with this information, try and put something together of your own! It may not be the best, but I'm sure you'll do fine, til next time!
Basic spell check and grammar check above!

To be honest, you don't know what you're talking about in some of these cases, or it's badly explained.

Your power chord explanation was lacking. It's not a "strum". You can play power chords using 5 or more strings, not just a few, i.e. G5 as 3x0033! And "straight down" power chords? :confused: You seem to lead the reader to believe that your first example is power chords and then say "Oh wait! Those aren't really power chords!"

Distortion and overdrive have nothing to do with power chords.

For your second example, perhaps notating which fingers go on which frets might be helpful.

Where is the mini-quiz you mentioned?

Your Iron Man tab is in the wrong key.

Your description of legato techniques isn't quite up to par, you explain hammer ons by saying HAMMER ON! :wtf:

The Open/Fret stuff doesn't have a specific name as far as I know.

Sorry for the delayed response! :o

Atreideslegend
11-12-2005, 06:43 AM
you need to learn a HELL of alot more before you start trying to write articles, you dont even seem to know what a power chord is and yet your writing and article on it. Six months practice is not enough to start to teach other people even at this basic level (no matter how much more pratice you do than your class mates), come back in six years.

pao2pao16
11-12-2005, 07:17 AM
this dude is so arrogant to post guitar lessons. dude!! you are just playing for 6 months! you got many wrong info man!

what if the E string is not tuned? then you cant tune the guitar all the way down!

Hammer Ons and Pull Offs

HOs and POs, are mainly used in soloing, and bridge riffs, but can often be used in other stuff as well. A hammer on, is when you HAMMER ON! To a fret, and a pull off, it when you pull that finger off, to go back to the fret you were playing before you hammered on. I want you to pick the fifth fret on the bottom string, holding the fret with your index finger. Now, with your middle finger, slam on to the seven with your middle finger, now pull it off. Did you hear that? Yea, it went higher, then went back to the same! It's cool isn't it? Let's try something using only the bottom string

A hammer on, is when you HAMMER ON!? what is this? you are saying this like you bang your head while legato or hammering on literally.

that is scary? oh come on!! try this 1st!

*4*Play Four Times*4*
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------7---6---5---------------------------------------|
|--------------------7---6---5---------------------------------------|
|-----7-----6--------5---4---3---------------------------------------|
|-0-0---0-0---0-0---------------------0-0-7-0-0-6-0-0-5-0-4-0-3-0-2--|

*2*Play Two Times*2*
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------5\4---5\4---5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

|-------------------------------------------------------------4------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------4------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2------|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1--------|
pick all of it downward and downward only

A power chord is basically a strum, in which most cases uses the top four strings, mostly the top two or three. There are, as far as I know, two kinds of power chords, since you are probably a beginner, I won't use the fancy names; let's call the first type the straight down power chords. They usually consist of two or three strings, one finger across the same fret on all three, like this, but note they aren't by definition power chords, I'm simply including them in this section because it requires the same "quick strumming" motion with your pick:

look into the mirror 1st before calling other persons beginners, beginner!

you got to learn more men!