Any saxophone players?

PDA

View Full Version : Any saxophone players?

Viruk
10-18-2005, 08:36 PM
If you play saxophone I'd be very thankful if you would answer a few questions for me.

Is it similar to guitar in any way shape or form?

What clef does it use?

Is it very difficult?

Does it play a big part in blues as well as jazz?

Thanks in advance.

-Viruk

Uncle Salty
10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey I play saxophone, I believe saxophone uses treble clef, but I can only say that definitely about alto sax though. IMO its not really like guitar in terms of how you play it, there are a few similarities, however. It definitely has a relevance to the blues also, and is not that hard to learn because it has an octave key which makes playing certain notes much easier.

Viruk
10-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply!

Which type of sax is the most common? (I mean alto, tenor or whatever others there are)

I don't have to rumble my lips to play it, right? It's just blowing?

edit:

What I meant was I don't have to play it like a trumpet/trombone, but I think you understood.

Uncle Salty
10-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Most people play alto, but I think the most common in blues and jazz is tenor (this is just a wild guess though), and yes it is just blowing, but it goes a little deeper than "just blowing"

SuperAnalytical
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Yeah, tenor is most common in blues/jazz music as stand out because of the lower tones created. I play trumpet myself but I know how it goes. I've played in Jazz Band 2 years now so I think I know which instruments are used and what not. Anyways, lip embourchure (how your lips are placed and how they are used to create the sound) is a major part in any woodwind (sax, clarinet, oboe, etc.) or brass (trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn etc.) so you can't avoid it. Sax is all about 'biting' on the reed persay, and blowing of course. But it's cool stuff. Even if you're turned off by the whole having to do weird lip arrangements, it's something to look into. :D Trumpet is also awesome of course. ;)

JimiSlashPage
10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I play alto sax... Pretty easy stuff. You have to roll your bottom lip over your bottom teeth and bite down on the mouthpiece to get sound. You can't just blow into it or it will be uber flat or sharp. Octave key makes changes from low to high octaves really easy.

Viruk
10-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Sounds like fun.

Obviously I'm going to have to do something with my mouth/lips, I just find it extremely difficult/annoying to play things with mouth pieces like trumpet or trombone... it makes my lips burn! Do trumpet players get callused lips?

Fintann
10-19-2005, 01:08 AM
If there was one instrument that i wish i could play it would be the sax, i don't know why but i just love the sound and honesty that intrument gives off.

SilentDeftone
10-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Sounds like fun.

Obviously I'm going to have to do something with my mouth/lips, I just find it extremely difficult/annoying to play things with mouth pieces like trumpet or trombone... it makes my lips burn! Do trumpet players get callused lips?
No lol, but your mouth will get tired. It's a stamina thing.

-SD :dance:

Chazspaniel
10-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Heyhey,

I've been playing sax for four years now and i'm only just starting to get the awesome wailing sound i LOVE. And I wasnt exactly a slow learner either, i've just got to UK grade6. So basically if you want a gr8 sax sound u'll need to be committed.

I play both baritone and alto saxes, and baritone is by far and wide the best, but you'll probably need to remortgage your house to get a good one!! They both play on a treble clef and so do all the 'ordinary' saxes.

There is virtually no difference between alto and tenor when it comes to blues, but alto is generally seen as easier to get a good tone out of so i'd go for that one. But thats my opinion, just go for the one you prefer.

And no, its not remotely like guitar. Different key, different way of reading music (assuming you use tabs), different sound, different look etc. But in my opinion you should still try and learn it at all costs!

Hope this helps
Chaz

*Nirvana*
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
I've played alto sax in a jazz band for two years and In the band I played in altos were more common than any others I think last year we had ten altos 2 tenors and 1 barritone. Sheet music is definitely easier to read for a sax than a guitar

Viruk
10-19-2005, 09:15 PM
"Sheet music is definitely easier to read for a sax than a guitar"

Thank god... sheet music is impossible for me to read on guitar. Chords blow my mind.

Thanks for all the imput everyone. Sounds like a fun instrument to play. What would you say is more difficult? The fingerings or the blowing?

SilentDeftone
10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd guess it's a combination of both, both have their difficulties.

It's sort of like how you must develop both your left AND right hands for playing guitar - you need a good accurate picking technique (blowing) and need to be able to fret the notes as well (fingerings).

-SD :dance:

eXor
10-21-2005, 12:52 PM
"Sheet music is definitely easier to read for a sax than a guitar"

Thank god... sheet music is impossible for me to read on guitar. Chords blow my mind.

Thanks for all the imput everyone. Sounds like a fun instrument to play. What would you say is more difficult? The fingerings or the blowing?
at First, the blowing will be the most difficult (especcialy with a metal mouthpiece wich is used a lot for blues and jazz playing), but after you get used to it, nothing is really hard on the saxophone (almost everything played on a saxophone is legato, because your tongue is not as strong as your wrist;)

unplugged110
10-21-2005, 11:19 PM
I played sax for 5 years before taking up guitar and i cant really see any similarities in terms of playing. I would think (if youre teaching yourself) it would be very hard to teach yourself because it is very frustrating at first. The only thing that sax helped me with in playing guitar was that i had a good ear when i started playing guitar and i had classical musical ideas that i could fuse with pop ideas i could use when writing. It is a fun instrument tho.

Steve Cropper
10-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Piano sheet music is equally confusing with the bass cleff and all.

agreth_3rd
10-22-2005, 06:21 PM
I wish I played the sax. It's perhaps my favourite instrument. Nothing beats a tenor sax that's played really well. I can safely say I will learn to play it one day.

chris4
10-22-2005, 06:47 PM
edit

chris4
10-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I play alto, tenor, bari, and C Melody saxophones. I'm good. I usually play blues, jazz, pop, and rock & roll.

JimiSlashPage
10-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Sounds like fun.

Don't worry about that. With trumpets and other brass instruments you have to buzz your lip, but with the sax you just have to roll your bottom lip over your bottom teeth, bite down, and play. It's pretty simple. But if you play alot your bottom lip with hurt from having it rolled over your bottom teeth. And if your top teeth can't handle the vibration from the mouthpiece, you can go to a music store and buy a little piece of rubber that fits on top of the mouthpiece. Fun stuff. :D

chris4
10-22-2005, 06:53 PM
at First, the blowing will be the most difficult (especcialy with a metal mouthpiece wich is used a lot for blues and jazz playing), but after you get used to it, nothing is really hard on the saxophone (almost everything played on a saxophone is legato, because your tongue is not as strong as your wrist;)
Dude, metal pieces are used almost exclusively for jazz. I have yet to see someone playing a blues song using one.

chris4
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
(how your lips are placed and how they are used to create the sound) is a major part in any woodwind (sax, clarinet, oboe, etc.) or brass (trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn etc.) so you can't avoid it. Sax is all about 'biting' on the reed persay You don't "bite" around the reed. The best way I can explain it is you roll your bottom lip over your bottom teeth, and then you rest your top teeth on the top of the mpc. The corners of the embouchure should be focused inward, not pulled back as when ne is smilin.

chris4
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
If anyone has any questions about the sax then feel free to e-mail me at:

saxmaniac777@yahoo.com

Good Luck in your quest to play the saxophone!

Chris

Resiliance
10-22-2005, 07:03 PM
I have another question for the sax players.

How much does a decent (and somewhat lasting and durable) saxophone (alto preferably) cost new? And what should one look for?

chris4
10-22-2005, 07:06 PM
What would you say is more difficult? The fingerings or the blowing?
Niether, at least for me ;) :D

Seriously though, for a beginner, I'd have to say blowing is more difficult. The saxophone is actually one of the easiest instruments to learn(at first) If you arev going to leran the saxophone (alto, tenor, contrabass :D , soprano, bari, C Melody, C soprano, etc) then I strongly recommend that you find a sax private lesson teacher in your area who can help you.

chris4
10-22-2005, 08:43 PM
I have another question for the sax players.

How much does a decent (and somewhat lasting and durable) saxophone (alto preferably) cost new? And what should one look for?

You can check out Saxontheweb.net for good, used/new saxophones: sotw (http://saxontheweb.net)
Some I'd reccomend:
Buescher Truetone (around $700)
Yamaha YAS 23 (around 500)
Tell me your price range and I can give you more info.

Chris

eXor
10-29-2005, 08:09 AM
^^@chris4, how long 've you been playing??

(and I paid +-?850 for my yas 23 :confused:, but that was 7 years ago ;) )

(and srv's and clapton's sax players use metal mouthpieces)

Gabuydachk
10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
since you're discussing sax, I was just wondering:
If you already play trumpet (like me) is sax easier or harder?

chris4
11-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I have found that it is harder to toungue and to control dynamics on saxaphone compared to trumpet. Everything else (fingerings, range, tone, etc..) I found to be harder on trumpet.

Chris

chris4
11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
^^@chris4, how long 've you been playing??

11 years on trumpet, 5 on sax.

Jearl
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
I have found that it is harder to toungue and to control dynamics on saxaphone compared to trumpet. Everything else (fingerings, range, tone, etc..) I found to be harder on trumpet.

Chris

really?..i think the fingerings on trumpet is easy compared to sax where you push one button and five go down lol. i love trumet..

musicman212
11-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I used to play it in band. I wish I hadn't quit. I miss it. :sad:

radar32
03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Just a bit of advice, be careful when you start out to develop the correct embourchure. Although sliding your lower lip of your teeth and biting the reed works for some people, I would not recommend this tecnique, as it's easy to have a very tense mouth when playing like this, hence making it possible to permanently damage your lower lip, at the least, have a very sore one after a relativley short practise. I have been playing the alto sax for 7 years, and I'm currently doing a jazz course at university. I now have been playing for so long every day that my lip is getting very sore, and i'm currently in the process of changing my technique, which is not an easy thing to do after 7 years

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I started a thread like this called Sax Players Unite! look it up for more info.

Yeah I'll answer your questions.

Is it similar to guitar in any way shape or form? Somewhat, the phrasing perhaps. But everything else is way different.

What clef does it use? Treble, although baritone has been known to play bass clef.

Is it very difficult? Not really. Start with alto or soprano and go from there.

Does it play a big part in blues as well as jazz? Yeah.

Thanks in advance.