White Stripes Blues Covers

PDA

View Full Version : White Stripes Blues Covers

Tenacious_dex
10-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I know the White Stripes are Modern Rock, but I want you Bluesy guys to answer and comment.

Well, as you may know the White Stripes have covered some old Blues songs. And I want to know how you compare these to the originals. If you've not heard the White Stripes versions, can you comment on just the originals please. I just want to know your views.
Here are the songs:
Death Letter (Son House)
St. James Infirmiry Blues
Your Southern Can is Mine (Blind Willie McTell)
Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson)

I think all the covers are great, but I'm biased. :D
Thanks for your comments.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I hate the White Stripes, and how they get all that credit for being somewhat bluesy.

Bullshit.

young_is_god
10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
i think they're pretty gd, not a notch on the original reall low donw dirty blues which i love. But bringing the blues to a younger audience, for eg u asking about the original artist, gettin some of their songs, ure friends hear, pass it on again, its all good

rockinlewis
10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Death Letter is the best IMO

heartbreaker101
10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Death Letter is pretty good, especially on the dvd Under Blackpool Lights

rockinlewis
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Death Letter is pretty good, especially on the dvd Under Blackpool Lights
:cheers:

Encore_God
10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I will continue to sing the Stripes' praises, for they truly are excellent.

Their version of St James Infirmary Blues is pretty haunting. Certainly one of those rare blues covers that have come close to being as potent as the originals.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
I hate the White Stripes, and how they get all that credit for being somewhat bluesy.

Bullshit.

Harsh words but I'm sad to say I agree.

After reading a Guitar World interview with Jack White a while back I have decided that I will in no shape or form support the White Stripes. He said some amazingly disrespectful things to many bluesmen.

StratRat13
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM

After reading a Guitar World interview with Jack White a while back I have decided that I will in no shape or form support the White Stripes. He said some amazingly disrespectful things to many bluesmen.

i didnt read that is there anywhere i can find the article on the internet?

DorkusMalorkus
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Care to enlighten us?

Encore_God
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Care to enlighten us?

I second that. I'd be intrigued to find out what was said.

I can't believe people believe everything they read...

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-20-2005, 07:45 PM
^Why wouldn't you believe an interview in a number one guitar magazine? :rolleyes: I mean, I agree with you on believing shit, but Guitar World is preety trustable IMO.

SickMetal
10-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I believe he's saying that he wants an example before trusting someone on the internet that said White bashed some blues guys, and I agree. I'd like to see the stuff.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Oh, that could be true.

Well, I for one dont really care on the interview, I just dislike them period, and I trust Rhoads well too, but I guess I wouldnt mind seeing it.

TNfootballfan62
10-20-2005, 07:58 PM
I have seen this article as well, but its been a long time, so i dont remember the specifics.

Mack56
10-20-2005, 08:05 PM
well, i have the article somewhere. i'll find it sometime. anyway, i just wanted to add these to the list:

Lord, Send Me An Angel (Blind Willie McTell) (released as a single in `01)
Boll Weevil (Leadbelly) (done live many times)

Both are pretty good.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special and mastering blues was an easy art which is a massive slap-in-the-face and great deal of disrespect to all of the people he calls his heros like Son House for example.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special

Well, that in itself is hate worthy, ffs. I know SRV can be given too much credit sometime, and sure can be somewhat "overrated", but that comment was totally out of line.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-20-2005, 08:14 PM
^exactly, just say people tend to ignore others sometimes but that doesnt mean SRV wasn't special.

emg77
10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
i love the white stripes, but i think their completely untalented, they cant sing, drum or play guitar. but jack white can sure shred on that xzylophone. lol i havent heard any of these blues covers, but i dont know if i like the idea of it

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
^ How can you like a band that you think is terrible? Jack is a DECENT slide guitarist... I've seen them in concert and it wasn't bad. But he's an ass for everything he's said about the blues... I've seen the interview too. He said that the blues is an easy form of music and doesnt take long to master, or somethin along those lines. After i read this, I lost all forms of respect for him in anyway.

skillsmcrobot
10-20-2005, 09:43 PM
whew.....well you can't get mad at jack from dissing other guys....that just makes him more blues (scrapping fools like jason stollsheimer in a bar)....and son house, who i have nothing but respect and boners for his intense philosophic performances, is also a very rudimentary blues guitarist (truth, that is the truuuth).
And i cant imagine anyone whos seen this man in concert that would still dislike him, were you not entertianed???

He does what he does very well, including lots of covers.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I said after he said the blues is easy to play, I LOST RESPECT for him. I didn't say after i saw him in concert.

jayr123guitar
10-21-2005, 08:16 AM
The White Stripes are good, but they're not a blues band. Their strengths lie elsewhere.......

sirpsycho85
10-23-2005, 04:00 AM
i don't particularly fault jack for what he said. he's not at all an ignorant person, i think he has respect for the genre of blues, but it is a fairly simple style of music. while anything takes a long time to master, it doesn't take as much time to be influenced by the blues as it does for many other styles. i think the strength of jack's band (and i do think they are excellent) is extending the blues into punk/garage rock. he is an excellent songwriter, and i think one definitely influenced by the blues, whatever he said about it.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-23-2005, 10:03 AM
^ :haha :haha You obviously have no idea what blues is or how to play it

sirpsycho85
10-23-2005, 05:37 PM
excuse me? did you read my post? i said that it takes a long time to master, merely a short time to be influenced by it.

StratRat13
10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special and mastering blues was an easy art which is a massive slap-in-the-face and great deal of disrespect to all of the people he calls his heros like Son House for example.
:( :(:(:( :no: :no: :no:

wow that mother F**ker

wow its been like 3 days since i've visited this part of the forums, it was a long sad 3 days...

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-23-2005, 07:54 PM
^X2 I was talking more about this part of your post

i don't particularly fault jack for what he said. he's not at all an ignorant person, i think he has respect for the genre of blues, but it is a fairly simple style of music. i think the strength of jack's band (and i do think they are excellent) is extending the blues into punk/garage rock. he is an excellent songwriter, and i think one definitely influenced by the blues, whatever he said about it.

sirpsycho85
10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
why is that? near everything i said in that part was about the white stripes or jack white, not the blues, just because i think they are a good band.

the part i said about the blues was that it's a fairly simple style of music. this is true; doesn't mean its easy to play or to master. it is just quite simplistic in it's structure. to give an analogy, a straightforward sport such as marathon running is simple, but not easy by any stretch.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-23-2005, 08:30 PM
1. How is the blues simple?
2. Jack is in noway influenced by the blues other than slide and the covers
3. He's is extremely ignorant. HE said that the blues is easy, and doesn't take long to master. This makes him VERY ignorant. Because it is the quite the contrary.
4. Blues and punk/garage rock do not mix... in ANY way. And i think quite a few people will agree with me on this.

StratRat13
10-23-2005, 08:33 PM
3. He's is extremely ignorant. HE said that the blues is easy, and doesn't take long to master. This makes him VERY ignorant. Because it is the quite the contrary.
4. Blues and punk/garage rock do not mix... in ANY way. And i think quite a few people will agree with me on this.

I second that. :cheers:

ridcullylives
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
I would like to agree with Mr. White in one respect.

The blues is easy to play. You get your pentatonics down right, you master bending and vibrato, and ta-da! You can play the blues!! The style of music itself doesn't take as long a time to become proficient at, as, say, neo-classical shred.

However, to think about the blues that way is to completely and utterly miss the point. Music, when you get right down to it, is about expressing emotions and ideas. And the blanker the canvas, the more amazing the painting you can get.

forklifterer
10-23-2005, 08:42 PM
k first of all Jack White is a Disgrace to Blues and I would not even include him in any category. His guitar playing is absolutley horendous. I think its just a bunch of crappy noise that is hard to tell note from note. Also if he tries to say blues is in his style and then explains that Blues is simple and tries to call himself a master of the blues or say that he mastered the blues is completely wrong. And Encore how could you like this guy you and derigable always say that peopkle doing covers of Son House and the like are a complete disgrace to the original blues men yet when Jack white plays it you love it. Thats something I do not understand

Here is what I do know. yes many novices to the blues think Blues is nothing but I IV V chord progession of simple 12 bar blues. Anyone more then a novice would understand there is way more behind the blues then a simple chord progression. In no other musical art form except for jazz is there more emotion then in blues. I think for someone to try to manipulate blues to a popular music form like punk or garage band is completly disgraceful and unneeded. The blues has done fine with out being popular for over 40 years why would it need to be anything mainstream.

DorkusMalorkus
10-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Maybe it was simple and easy for him. Besides ease can't be defined at all. It's all opinion.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I would like to agree with Mr. White in one respect.

The blues is easy to play. You get your pentatonics down right, you master bending and vibrato, and ta-da! You can play the blues!! The style of music itself doesn't take as long a time to become proficient at, as, say, neo-classical shred.

However, to think about the blues that way is to completely and utterly miss the point. Music, when you get right down to it, is about expressing emotions and ideas. And the blanker the canvas, the more amazing the painting you can get.

There's much more to the blues than penatonics bending and vibrato... much more. The raw emotion in the blues alone makes it more difficult than shred imo. Shred...... is just mastering scales and playing them really fast. There is NO emotion in it. Portraying emotion is the hardest thing to do in music. If you don't show emotion there is no music. Which is why i think blues is the greatest genre. And i dispise shred. All imo of course.

Maybe it was simple and easy for him. Besides ease can't be defined at all. It's all opinion.

He's doing an awfully bad job at it if he thinks it easy... Maybe he's doing something wrong? Maybe he doesn't have it right? Maybe he's horrible at playing blues. I can say anything is easy, but if I'm not good at it I'm not proving anything. Therefor I don't think Jack is proving anything, because he's horrible at it. There is a FINE line between blues and what he is doing. Listen to Delta blues or Chicago and tell me he knows what he's talking about. Definately not.

DorkusMalorkus
10-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm just saying...it's a lot of opinion involved and it isn't worth arguing...

sirpsycho85
10-23-2005, 09:43 PM

again, simple is not easy. however, structurally blues is surely among the most simple types of music, utilizing only a few chords, and not much in the area of scales either. i don't care that it's simple, i still like it a lot more than many more complex genres, but you can't argue realistically blues isn't a simple form of music (let me say yet AGAIN that doesn't mean it's easy to be good at it).

edit: in some posts above, it was mentioned to listen to delta or chicago blues and see if that sounds anything like the white stripes. of course it doesn't. however, if blues is all about feeling, then it's somewhat ignorant to not count something because it doesn't sound like something already done.

in general, playing with feeling i think should be talked about more carefully. while i can't stand shred either, read an interview with malmsteen and you will realize that he absolutely loves his music and puts his all into every composition and solo. feeling cannot be constrained by how fast/slow you play, etc. i get more out of a coltrane solo from giant steps than a bb king solo, personally. there are so many styles that can be played with feeling.

ridcullylives
10-24-2005, 12:46 AM
There's much more to the blues than penatonics bending and vibrato... much more. The raw emotion in the blues alone makes it more difficult than shred imo. Shred...... is just mastering scales and playing them really fast. There is NO emotion in it. Portraying emotion is the hardest thing to do in music. If you don't show emotion there is no music. Which is why i think blues is the greatest genre. And i dispise shred. All imo of course.

Dude....did you even read my whole post? Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. I think that the blues is possibly the hardest type of music to play well...you have to translate emotion into music, which is damn near impossible unless you have enough of it. I guarantee nobody on this website is ever going to be a blues master (oh yeah, you might be good, but still)...because your life just hasn't been as absolutely ****ty as Robert Johnson's, or Son House's, or Buddy Guy's....or even Eric Clapton's.

The first paragraph might have been misconstrued. What I meant was that compared to certain other genres of music, it's very easy to learn how to do a blues solo. How to actually be a bluesman (or woman) is damn near impossible.

sirpsycho85
10-24-2005, 06:19 AM
allow me a clarifying post of my point that might resolve this argument, although i'm sorry that i'm getting off the topic of the white stripes.

sometimes to help me get someones argument, the most helpful thing is to look at a logical extreme analogy and then bring it back to what we're talking about. imagine two musicians, one playing a triangle and the other a violin. now, far be it from me to hear it, but somebody CAN master a triangle and be more clear, precise, fast, etc with his triangle than somebody starting out. you could always get better. a person who has played it for ten years might be more perfect in his technique, etc, than somebody who has played violin for two. it's just that more people could tell the difference for violin. it is pointless to talk about what's easier, but undeniably triangle is a simpler in that there are far less harmonic and melodic ideas with the triangle, and it's a physically simpler technique. now, bringing improvisation into it, i think that it's very hard to sound good when you're limited to only rhythm and duration of ring like on the triangle, but somebody could be really good. extend this two a two-tone instrument and it's the same thing.

extending it to blues: if i play jazz for five years, i'm certainly playing more complex stuff than bb king. HOWEVER, it's also EASIER to get to my level of jazz playing than it is to get to BB's level of blues playing. complexity of a genre is merely a discription of what you are going to do with the music. how you play it then shows how good you are, and that's regardless of genre.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Shall I say what I feel?

ok then...

The blues in basic form is, yes, easy to play but the thing that makes it easy to play also makes it very hard. Because it is simple in structure it is very easy to lose sight of what is happening. Any blues fan can tell between someone who has a connection with the music and who doesn't. EMOTION IS EVERYTHING HERE! Yes I doubt B.B. King could shred like Vai but i would listen to B.B. over Vai any day because the emotion makes the music better. You can't learn emotion. If you don't have it, you most probably won't ever fully understand it. THIS is why the blues is so very hard to master. In great blues players there is a certain entity in the songs that they play that is FAR MORE unique than any other style of music. It is the unique amount of emotion that goes into EVERY SINGLE note.

sirpsycho85
10-24-2005, 03:54 PM
^ now while we can debate uniqueness of different genre guitarists forever, or which have the most emotion, at least somebody gets my point that it's simple in structure, but hard to play, which are different things.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
^well im not really saying a simple structure in total. but the bare basics are not physically hard. But with all the different kinds of blues i would hardly call it easy.

HelpImARock
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
i love the white stripes, but i think their completely untalented, they cant sing, drum or play guitar. but jack white can sure shred on that xzylophone. lol i havent heard any of these blues covers, but i dont know if i like the idea of it

As much of a dick as Jack White may be, he is a very talented guitarist.

trickie
10-25-2005, 05:24 AM
You could totally tell those guys influenced Jack Whites style.

jayr123guitar
10-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Has anybody personally even recently read the interview everyone is arguing about? Where's the link? He said that he said that she read an article a couple years ago............

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM

I have seen this article as well, but its been a long time, so i dont remember the specifics.

I've seen the interview too. He said that the blues is an easy form of music and doesnt take long to master, or somethin along those lines. After i read this, I lost all forms of respect for him in anyway.

Nope no one's seen it :rolleyes:

RhoadsSRV8290
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Has anybody personally even recently read the interview everyone is arguing about? Where's the link? He said that he said that she read an article a couple years ago............

Dude... i said that i read it not that someone told me who heard from someone's cousin's dad's grandpa.

shadows666
10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
The White Stripes will never be considered "Blues" in my eyes!! The day that they become blues is the day that Nirvana is considered to actually be good. It just can't happen:haha:

Encore_God
10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
The White Stripes will never be considered "Blues" in my eyes!! The day that they become blues is the day that Nirvana is considered to actually be good. It just can't happen:haha:

Congratulations. You're a jackass! :cheers:

I can't believe the 'senior' :rolleyes: people in this forum are passing judgement on Jack White as a result of ONE INTERVIEW.

You seem to forget just how many people's musical horizons the Stripes' music has broadened... And also, is there anyone else who flies the flag of Delta blues, country and roots music in contemporary mainstream music? Did you ever think you'd hear a Son House song at the Grammies?! I sure didn't!

In a world of very poor SRV rip-offs and incessant, mind numblingly appalling Texas 'blues' and pub band Led Zep-esque jams in E minor, Jack White stands alone in his unashamed reverance for Blind Willie McTell, Son House and Robert Johnson et al. And I think that demands ultimate respect from any blues guitar player.

And yes, 'the blues' is phenomenally easy to play. If you like your cliched, Eric Clapton flavoured 'blues-lite' type stuff.

Now go learn some Blind Blake, then tell me that them blues is easy to play... ;)

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-25-2005, 06:24 PM
^ I was the only mafia member that even had somewhat likings towards him... ever. But even then, I still knew.... HE'S NOT A BLUESMAN.

And yes, 'the blues' is phenomenally easy to play. If you like your cliched, Eric Clapton flavoured 'blues-lite' type stuff.

Now go learn some Blind Blake, then tell me that them blues is easy to play... ;)

For once i agree with you somewhat! Half the people who say blues is easy haven't heard the real blues like the Delta. Many of them just listen to the cliched blues rock, transtitioning artists like Clapton. Don't get me wrong, I love Clapton, but theres sooooooo much more.

RhoadsSRV8290
10-25-2005, 06:35 PM

I can't believe the 'senior' :rolleyes: people in this forum are passing judgement on Jack White as a result of ONE INTERVIEW.

My, my, assumptions. I NEVER liked the White Strips even before i read that article. I just never liked their music. Happy mister?

Encore_God
10-26-2005, 05:48 AM
My, my, assumptions. I NEVER liked the White Strips even before i read that article. I just never liked their music. Happy mister?

Regardless, you were passing judgement on Jack White on the basis of a single interview. Whether or not you like the Stripes' music is irrelevant.

And what's all this crap about this Mafia? What are the grounds of membership, staunch adoration for 3 guitarists and vehement disdain for Jack White? Give me a sodding break... :rolleyes:

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-26-2005, 06:31 AM
:haha :haha :haha Actually you have to have a very good knowledge of the blues, which is why there are less than 10 total members, and is why you'll never be even considered, even if you wanted to be in... which quite frankly I dont give a flying **** if you do. You have no idea what your talking about half the time, and your an arrogant twat.

forklifterer
10-26-2005, 07:17 AM
I did not judge White on just one interview in a magazine I havent even read the magazine. I call it the way I see it and I listened to the music and quite frankly its pretty horrible. I dont think any true blues lover should put up with the crap he is putting out and labeling blues. Theres a huge argument in blues today where some are on the side of no expansion and some are saying expand we need more acceptance and recognition of blues. I am on the the middle of this argument not knowing which side to step. I really like aving blues be so personal in festivals and such and being a kind of music I love. But then theres some blues/soul jam bands I really love and people are saying this music isnt blues. In particular theres a great band locally the Kelly Bell band. They have a style called Phat Blues. This style consists of Blues, R&B, Jazz, Funk, Jam and its very pbeat. They have headlined local fests and some say that this hurts music because they are not pure blues. In this case i disagree I believe the message is still the same and since its so upbeat its alot of fun to listen and groove to.

On the topic at hand with Jack White his kind of stuff being considered blues is what makes me want to jump to the other side and say only pure blues. Its al opinions and its a big argument in the real blues world anyway. Another artists I dont like they call blues is New Jeff Beck with some of his new age fusion they still some consider blues.

TNfootballfan62
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
And what's all this crap about this Mafia? What are the grounds of membership, staunch adoration for 3 guitarists and vehement disdain for Jack White? Give me a sodding break... :rolleyes:

What does the mafia have to do with anything? Yes, it seems to be mostly mafia members disagreeing with you, but it's not like we're doing it as a group. It just so happens we all disagree with you. And who the hell are you to criticize what guitarists we like and the means by which you get in the club? If the grounds for membership was "adoration for 3 guitarists and vehement disdain for Jack White" then we'd have a lot more members. Please don't criticize us when you obviously don't know what the **** you're talking about. The Blues Mafia as a whole doesn't have anything to do with this argument. We are arguing as individuals.

Derigiberble
10-26-2005, 10:29 AM

:haha

stay away like me, be a rogue bluesman

i dont need no mafia to tell me how i should like the blues. To be honest, the way I see it is that you all gang up on people because they have different opinions. Now to be honest, I don't like Jack White and wouldn't really call him blues, but the fact that anyone has a slightly different opinion from you guys, means that they must be wrong :rolleyes:

I personally think you guys should stop acting like your opinions are fact. Some people like Jack White and think he is a Blues musician. SO WHAT? Just because you disagree doesn't mean that they are wrong. I don't consider him a great musician personally, and wouldn't call him blues, but think that he is at least trying to keep alive a genre which is as good as dead. Without people like him doing that and keeping the original stuff mainstream, the music will die.

A lot of people will now say, well what about guys like John Mayer? He is merely a fool, who only plays pop music to become famous. He's not helping the genre by playing specific blues concerts where he goes a covers a bunch of Hendrix arrangements.

Now..... someone argue with me :p:

jayr123guitar
10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Dude... i said that i read it not that someone told me who heard from someone's cousin's dad's grandpa.

I just wanted a quote or something to put it in context. I know Jack White is influenced heavily by the blues masters and I don't think he would diss SRV etc. as was posted earlier in this thread. Just wanted a quote or link out of curiosity......

jayr123guitar
10-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh I forgot to add, The Blues will always evolve as it always has. As times change and new music styles are created the blues will play their part and influence new musicians all the time. You don't have to like it, but the real original masters are gone or very old. Things must move forward. The Stripes covers of blues songs are going to be heard by thousands who haven't heard them before, therefore turning a whole new group of listeners on to blues. I don't see anything negative about it.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
:haha

stay away like me, be a rogue bluesman

i dont need no mafia to tell me how i should like the blues. To be honest, the way I see it is that you all gang up on people because they have different opinions. Now to be honest, I don't like Jack White and wouldn't really call him blues, but the fact that anyone has a slightly different opinion from you guys, means that they must be wrong :rolleyes:

I personally think you guys should stop acting like your opinions are fact. Some people like Jack White and think he is a Blues musician. SO WHAT? Just because you disagree doesn't mean that they are wrong. I don't consider him a great musician personally, and wouldn't call him blues, but think that he is at least trying to keep alive a genre which is as good as dead. Without people like him doing that and keeping the original stuff mainstream, the music will die.

A lot of people will now say, well what about guys like John Mayer? He is merely a fool, who only plays pop music to become famous. He's not helping the genre by playing specific blues concerts where he goes a covers a bunch of Hendrix arrangements.

Now..... someone argue with me :p:

We didnt gang up on anyone. We never said we are right and they are wrong. You are putting words in peoples mouths. The mafia actually influences each other to spread their likings. One likes Chicago, one likes Delta, one likes country... we all have quite a positive influence on one another. I respect people's opinions, but the way Jack plays isn't real blues (Keep in mind for those of you who are slow, this is my opionion :rolleyes: looks at Derigiberble). I mentioned before that I liked him before, and went to a concert. I've moved on from this "phase" if you will. But I NEVER considered Jack to be blues. NEVER. And when was blues ever mainstream? Half the blues artists don't want blues to be mainstream. Neither do I. The last thing I want are people who know diddly **** about the blues, acting like they do, just because its cool. I have no problem with people who actually enjoy the music, and try learn about it and learn it. But if it becomes mainstream, then people begin to like it just to fit in. I enjoy Mayer's music... blues and SOME of the pop stuff. But if he plays blues, and you hear girls screaming and yelling like a Backstreet Boys concert, just because he's "hot", then it takes away for me.

And your saying that the people arguing this way are taking it as a "fact". Yet when this happens The White Stripes will never be considered "Blues" in my eyes!!

You look right past it. Hmmm Hipocracy?

RhoadsSRV8290
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Regardless, you were passing judgement on Jack White on the basis of a single interview. Whether or not you like the Stripes' music is irrelevant.

Honestly, why must you just dis everything anyone says. Seriously. You're never peaceful about anything.

Steve Cropper
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I've never listened to the White Stripes or felt the need to after hearing Blind Blake, Big Bill Broonzy, and Lonnie Johnson. I take it right from the source because that it is where it began and should have stayed.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Wow, some serious arguments here in this thread! Fighting shouldnt be going on like this, but it has its right. I have already stated my opinion..Jack White is not, nor will he ever be, a blues man. I just dont understand at all why he gets credit for it? (BY THE WAY, that was my opinion :rolleyes: ). Encore and Deligerable(or whatever his name his, the guy with the old DLR avatar, I think), I just dont understand you guys, or your force of dislikement towards most people and there ideas in this forum, or at least, from what I can see. Most of the arguments started in this forum, again from what I can see, have something to do with one of you two.

And Encore how could you like this guy you and derigable always say that peopkle doing covers of Son House and the like are a complete disgrace to the original blues men yet when Jack white plays it you love it. Thats something I do not understand

Oh, and sir Encore, I really would like your answer to this. :rolleyes:

L_Z_Nut
10-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm a huge fan of The Whites Stripes, and I agree that they're not a blues band, but I have to say the aren't a garage/punk (I hate it when people classify them in the garage/punk category) or even rock band. They're something I've never heard before, and I think their music doesn't fall into any genre... they have their own style of music thats never been done, and thats why I like them so much. Music is an art, and not all art falls into all the existing categories, sometimes they make their own categories which makes them incredibly different and intriguing... well for me.

On the subject of him insulting past blues masters, he probably didn't mean it in an insulting manner, I mean blues isn't a very difficult style to play technically compared to shredding and that type of stuff, but its the most difficult style to play with your emotions, and conveying your emotions in the music, thats what makes the blues... the blues, intense and extremely emotional music. And I think he does that wonderfully, maybe not as good as past blues musicians, but when you think about music in general was alot better in the past.

Just my opinion though, and opinion is like shjt, and all of yours stink just as bad as mine.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
For gods sake people! Quit saying how easy the blues is, cause in true, it isnt! Why would you even make a comment like this?
I mean blues isn't a very difficult style to play technically compared to shredding.

:rolleyes:

L_Z_Nut
10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Get your head out of your ass.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Get your head out of your ass.

Wow, someone needs to grow up a bit, dont they? :rolleyes:

Seriously, why would you even say that?

L_Z_Nut
10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Alright that was uncalled for I admit it, and I appologize. But seriously since its pretty obvious that you love to play the blues, as do I, have you ever tried learning any type a metal or shredding type stuff.... its pretty hard even if you've been playing for years. And you shouldn't dis-regard the fact that some people find the blues easier to play then others, some things just come easier to others.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Ha..metal or shredding type stuff. Nah, I've never done any of that stuff, just that I used to be in a Thrash Metal cover band for a good two years, and I've even made a whole forum for nothing but Shred music. But hey, I dont know anything on Metal or Shred. :rolleyes:

And yes, some of that stuff is hard, but that doesnt mean you should compare it to blues playing either, IMO.

Again, Blues is not an easy music, or at least, I wouldnt say it is. I'd have to imagine that any true bluesman, would say the same too.

L_Z_Nut
10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Ha..metal or shredding type stuff. Nah, I've never done any of that stuff, just that I used to be in a Thrash Metal cover band for a good two years, and I've even made a whole forum for nothing but Shred music. But hey, I dont know anything on Metal or Shred. :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't read your #1 best selling autobiography, and I missed the unauthorized one last time it was on A&E.

Again, Blues is not an easy music, or at least, I wouldnt say it is. I'd have to imagine that any true bluesman, would say the same too.

I'm pretty sure they all mean it isn't an easy form of music to portray your emotions with. Sure maybe certain aspects of the blues is harder to play then other styles, but you can say that about every genre of music. But by far the blues is not the hardest form of music to play, but it isn't the easiest either.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 05:07 PM
^Heh, nice comeback to my remark there. I was just explaining to you in an "ignorant way", if you will. No biggie, I just wanted you to know that I DO know other styles of music, even though blues is without question my favorite, and just about the only thing I listen to anymore. Just didnt want you to think that I was saying blues wasn't easy, when not hearing other things as well.

But by far the blues is not the hardest form of music to play, but it isn't the easiest either.

I guess thats a better way of putting things.

StratRat13
10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry I didn't read your #1 best selling autobiography, and I missed the unauthorized one last time it was on A&E.

I'm pretty sure they all mean it isn't an easy form of music to portray your emotions with. Sure maybe certain aspects of the blues is harder to play then other styles, but you can say that about every genre of music. But by far the blues is not the hardest form of music to play, but it isn't the easiest either.

Yeh but if you cant portray your emotions through the blues, then you cant play it.....cause thats what the blues is, its 99% emotion, and about shred, playing fast is not the hardest thing to do, i find putting everything you feel into a guitar is harder than tapping and playing fast, and when you put everything into a guitar that you feel.....THATS the Blues. :peace:

L_Z_Nut
10-26-2005, 05:14 PM
^ I agree fast is not exactly the hardest thing to do but it takes a lot of practice to play very fast and very accurate.

And I think the hardest part about blues is getting your emotions into the music.

StratRat13
10-26-2005, 05:20 PM
^ I agree fast is not exactly the hardest thing to do but it takes a lot of practice to play very fast and very accurate.

And I think the hardest part about blues is getting your emotions into the music.

Whoa, two people agreeing in this thread :eek: never thought i'd see the day.

forklifterer
10-26-2005, 06:02 PM
The big thing is atleat we are talking about blues in this thread. Even if it is arguing like I stated before this is a huge controversy all over the blues community not just on here.

As to the comment about shred and metal. Here is my honest answer I really dislike shred/metal, but some of my good friends pl;ay this music and I do support them. I can see that there music is difficult at times but they also see how much different my music is. We all commend eachother for playing even if it is a different style One guy I know plays Neo Classical shred and I know that I cant do that stuff now I just know im not cut out to be a shredder. But at the sametime he feels the same way towards me he respects the way I play and realizes he cant play my way. We dont diss eachother and say my music harder or thats so easy to play that or anything of the like. I just think respect should be given and credit where credit is due.

Encore_God
10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
You look right past it. Hmmm Hipocracy?

I was talking about his overall demeanour, and his fairly moronic comment about Nirvana.

And Encore how could you like this guy you and derigable always say that peopkle doing covers of Son House and the like are a complete disgrace to the original blues men yet when Jack white plays it you love it. Thats something I do not understand

Most folks who perform blues covers cannot begin to even hold a candle to the originals. There are some exceptions of course; guys like Corey Harris, the marvellous Keb' Mo' and Brian T. Curran can all hold their own with the likes of Johnson, House, Bukka White and the like.

I can't stand the torture of the songs by extremely poor pub bands. At least Jack White will perform these songs in a manner that does justice to the original, is fairly unique and will namecheck the original artists. Unlike some band called Led Zeppelin, lest we forget.

And oh... there is no better example of the blues than Son House. If there is, answers to me on a postcard to 'Happy Crappy Encore Land', if you will. ;)

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
^I'm going to get torn apart by you and Derig, but atleast Zeppelin (whose shirt I'm wearing right now) made the covers sound good.

ridcullylives
10-26-2005, 10:05 PM
^^^ Oh, I agree. The fact that JP is a thieving asshole doesn't make Led Zeppelin any less ****ing amazing. Regardless of whether you think JP was an ass, listen to the live "I Can't Quit You Babe" and tell me that band can't bring the ****ing thunder.

Even though I hate Jimmy Page's blues playing, nothing but the Who's Young Man Blues comes close to that energy.

Derigiberble
10-27-2005, 07:08 AM
I honoestly don't have a problem with zeppelin playing the blues, i personally dont think they did the songs justice, but i don't comment on the quality of the songs.

i only thing its dismal that JP stole whole arrangements from the blues masters. if i liked zeppelins covers, i would tell you, but i honestly don't enjoy the music.

and to the guy who called me slow, i merely subjected my observations. like i said, IN MY OPINION. ;)

pidevice
10-27-2005, 07:31 AM
most of the crap they say is blues these days is just ****
white boy bar blues, as opposed to field-hollering FIRE
Clapton sucks very bad in my book, though a cabable and expressive guitarist- he's like the McDonalds of blues music, music for the masses; and resembles real blues as much as a McDonalds burger resembles the one you cook on your backyard grill. He really belongs in the classic rock forum, then maybe UG could get some blues fans on here to talk about blues music in-depth with out this knee-jerk 'yeah clapton!' constantly. I'd listen to Jack White, who I don't like much either (he's a rocker influenced by blues and doesn't belong in a blues forum any more than Led Zepplin or Hendrix)- way before i'd listen to Clapton or like, boring old Keb Mo.
One of the only modern bluemen I consider VERY GOOD, with the feel and expression of depression era and Jump Blues, is Scott H. Biram outta Austin. don't check him out. most of y'all wouldn't dig it, or would get even offended. NOT radio-friendly like the generic stuff. his cover of 'Black Betty' ( it's a bit older than Ram Jam in the 70's ya know) is smokin hOT.

jayr123guitar
10-27-2005, 08:31 AM
..........but atleast Zeppelin (whose shirt I'm wearing right now) made the covers sound good.

I really don't see a whole lotta difference between Zeppelin covering blues in the 70's and Jack White covering blues in the 2000's. Not that you said there was, but after some of your posts i wouldn't have guessed that you like Zeppelin.

Encore_God
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
most of the crap they say is blues these days is just ****
white boy bar blues, as opposed to field-hollering FIRE
Clapton sucks very bad in my book, though a cabable and expressive guitarist- he's like the McDonalds of blues music, music for the masses; and resembles real blues as much as a McDonalds burger resembles the one you cook on your backyard grill. He really belongs in the classic rock forum, then maybe UG could get some blues fans on here to talk about blues music in-depth with out this knee-jerk 'yeah clapton!' constantly. I'd listen to Jack White, who I don't like much either (he's a rocker influenced by blues and doesn't belong in a blues forum any more than Led Zepplin or Hendrix)- way before i'd listen to Clapton or like, boring old Keb Mo.
One of the only modern bluemen I consider VERY GOOD, with the feel and expression of depression era and Jump Blues, is Scott H. Biram outta Austin. don't check him out. most of y'all wouldn't dig it, or would get even offended. NOT radio-friendly like the generic stuff. his cover of 'Black Betty' ( it's a bit older than Ram Jam in the 70's ya know) is smokin hOT.

:cheers: :cheers:

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
^^^^:confused: :confused: The kid just said pretty much the opposite of what you've been standing for the whole time and you cheers him? And how can you think Keb' Mo' is boring? I think he's fantastic, and really brings to the table what the acoustic blues has to offer.

I really don't see a whole lotta difference between Zeppelin covering blues in the 70's and Jack White covering blues in the 2000's. Not that you said there was, but after some of your posts i wouldn't have guessed that you like Zeppelin.

I never said anything about Zeppelin in any of my posts before that... They are in my favorite groups, why the hell wouldn't i like them? :confused: Zeppelins covers actually sound bluesy, compared to Jacks which sound like you put them through a distortion factory and tore them apart.

Encore_God
10-27-2005, 05:46 PM
^^^^:confused: :confused: The kid just said pretty much the opposite of what you've been standing for the whole time and you cheers him?

Zeppelins covers actually sound bluesy, compared to Jacks which sound like you put them through a distortion factory and tore them apart.

That 'kid' who you refer to as 'him' is a woman, mate. ;) And she was spot on on the Clapton comment, and the observation of contemporary blues. Keb' Mo' is ok.

Zeppelin's blues covers are mangled. I maintain that Robert Plant has an awful, screechy, grating voice which he's only just managed to control.

And anyway, ever heard of T-Model Ford? His music is fantastic, and he uses a knackered old Peavey guitar and a beat up amp. Lots of distortion, still powerful and raw music.

ridcullylives
10-27-2005, 09:10 PM
You know Clapton used to be an absolutely amazing blues player...listen to Derek and the Ds or the Bluesbreakers and tell me that isn't good blues playing...but lately it's like it's become boring for him or something.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-27-2005, 09:46 PM
^ I agree, Clapton was amazing in his early days, he's started to go downhill though imo, I still think he's great though.

Dog Eat Dog
10-27-2005, 11:32 PM
I personly dont Like them IMO i dont think that they do them justice unlike thosw which Zep did again IMO

Derigiberble
10-28-2005, 03:29 AM
You know Clapton used to be an absolutely amazing blues player...listen to Derek and the Ds or the Bluesbreakers and tell me that isn't good blues playing...but lately it's like it's become boring for him or something.

im pretty sure encore will agree about the bluesbreakers album anyway, theres no doubts it was a great blues album,

however, the album with Peter Green was better ;)

Encore_God
10-28-2005, 05:31 AM
Eric Clapton was unquestionably the most influential electric guitar player of his generation. And then his life became a Greek tragedy, and he wussed out.

At least he had an excuse or ten.

He is now so wussed out that you can barely recognise his playing. Seriously, sit and listen to Clapton in the Cream days, and then now... even the most subtle nuances of his playing are totally different.

He can still recapture the thunder, sure, just watch him at Party at the Palace, his solo on Layla fried my brain... but he's mostly reduced himself to blues lite.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-28-2005, 07:38 AM
So you agree to him being called boring, then you post this:
Keb' Mo' is ok.

But whatever happened to this?
the marvellous Keb' Mo'

I dont get you Encore, im starting to dislike you somewhat too.

StratRat13
10-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Eric Clapton was unquestionably the most influential electric guitar player of his generation. And then his life became a Greek tragedy, and he wussed out.

At least he had an excuse or ten.

He is now so wussed out that you can barely recognise his playing. Seriously, sit and listen to Clapton in the Cream days, and then now... even the most subtle nuances of his playing are totally different.

He can still recapture the thunder, sure, just watch him at Party at the Palace, his solo on Layla fried my brain... but he's mostly reduced himself to blues lite.

On his new album "Revolution" i hink that what he has done to his music is pretty cool, instead of just a blazin guitar, he is showin his music expertise (sp). It's cool because he incorporates so many different instruments into his music, blues isn't just about guitar. I love Eric Clapton, especially Cream, but i mean comeon the guy is like 60, something like that i think a couple years older, but maybe he is just goin throuh another Revolution in his career, i just dont see whats so bad about a mellow blues artist, but i'm sure he still has the same flame inside of him just wait for the Cream reunion tour, wow almost got cauht typin this (at school) i'll add more later. :peace:

Encore_God
10-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I dont get you Encore, im starting to dislike you somewhat too.

:haha Cheers mate.

Musically Keb' Mo' is ok. He's not breaking any new ground and he sure as hell doesn't have the fire and thunder of the original Delta blues music, but his technique is solid.

He is doing a marvellous job of keeping the music in the mix of blues music that's out there, and reminding us of its history (hence his appearance in the Johnson movie) but isn't a particularly interesting player.

Better? :cheers:

jimizeppelin
10-28-2005, 08:02 PM
They've done stones in my passway,(robert johnson),and dyin crapshooter's blues(blind willie mctell). Some excellent covers.

zep123
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
after reading the first page, my opinion on the white stripes has completely changed

Encore_God
10-29-2005, 05:15 AM
after reading the first page, my opinion on the white stripes has completely changed

It's weird to me about how no-one demonises Eric Clapton's dodgy flirting with right wing racism, or the arrogance of most white bluesmen...

Jack White makes one sodding comment and the whole board boycotts them!

Moronic.

jayr123guitar
10-29-2005, 12:52 PM
^I don't. But in reality I don't think the White Stripes consider themselves a blues band to any degree. I still haven't got a quote from the article proving what some have claimed Jack White said. Anybody?

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
^Four people said they've read the article, isnt that proof?

jayr123guitar
10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I never said anything about Zeppelin in any of my posts before that... They are in my favorite groups, why the hell wouldn't i like them? :confused: Zeppelins covers actually sound bluesy, compared to Jacks which sound like you put them through a distortion factory and tore them apart.

No you didn't say anything. I just assumed you were a hardcore blues purist or something.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-29-2005, 12:59 PM
That doesn't mean I can't like rock too ;)

jayr123guitar
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
^Four people said they've read the article, isnt that proof?

Are you serious? I don't know about you but 4 people I don't know posting claims on the internet isn't proof enough for me. Plus I want to see what context these statements were made in. I still don't beleive it.........

StratRat13
10-29-2005, 07:56 PM
yes, it's fender twins.

AS STATED BY FUNKYFUNGUS:

And an aside, lets see any of you come up w/ a riff like blue orchid or 7 nation army. Or a solo like black math or ball and biscuit. Or some crazy ass improvised **** like girl you have no faith in medicine, when i hear my name or death letter. Ok, so even if you can do all that, lets here you make a song as good as the big three, jimmy the explod orer jumble jumble, using two chords for most of the song.

And he has more stage prescence than ANYBODY (except maybe that guy from bowling for soup LOL) I mean who else could make a two piece band work, especially w/ a drummer who's never had and never should take lessons.

And he can sing like a mother****er

So you can do all that?

Yeah, right, and I'm the reincarnation of Kurt Cobain!

Edit: I too pooped my pants when it said 17th. Top three at least (he'd like 3rd)

.........................................Thats funny. :p: ^ he means top 17 guitarists

ridcullylives
10-30-2005, 03:52 AM
On his new album "Revolution" i hink that what he has done to his music is pretty cool, instead of just a blazin guitar, he is showin his music expertise (sp). It's cool because he incorporates so many different instruments into his music, blues isn't just about guitar. I love Eric Clapton, especially Cream, but i mean comeon the guy is like 60, something like that i think a couple years older, but maybe he is just goin throuh another Revolution in his career, i just dont see whats so bad about a mellow blues artist, but i'm sure he still has the same flame inside of him just wait for the Cream reunion tour, wow almost got cauht typin this (at school) i'll add more later. :peace:

....you do know that pretty much everything Clapton has released since Layla has been that sort of lame "adult contemporary" pop ****, right? Sure, he's had a few good songs. Well, one. But still...it just shocks me that someone who is (used to be?) such an amazing musician puts out such bland crap.

And I've seen videos of the cream reunion...yes, the man can undeniably still play a ****ing amazing guitar solo, but he's lost something. I think the drugs and his son dying just killed his inner fire.

Same thing happened with Robert Plant.

Encore_God
10-30-2005, 08:10 AM
I think this is the biggest thread this forum has ever seen... Clearly there are some marked divisions among blues fans... (Aside from the 4 main groups: Delta purists, electric fans, blues rockers and casual fans)

Very interesting...

Tenacious_dex
10-30-2005, 08:43 AM
I think this is the biggest thread this forum has ever seen... Clearly there are some marked divisions among blues fans... (Aside from the 4 main groups: Delta purists, electric fans, blues rockers and casual fans)

Very interesting...
It's my first Blues/ Jazz forum thread. If feel proud it's so big. :)

I'd like to thank you all for your comments, even though most of them were a bit off topic. :p: It's given me some insite and knowledge of the blues. It makes interesting reading.

jeremii
10-30-2005, 05:50 PM
All I know is that as a direct result of some of these covers, I have purchased a Son House, Leadbelly, and Blind Willie McTell album. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have bought these eventually anyway since I am already in to Mississippi John Hurt and Skip James to name a few, but Jack definitely gave me a push in the right direction. How can the reknown of musicians who should be revered be bad? No matter the circumstances

Mack56
10-30-2005, 06:53 PM
ok, i have the magazine, and i'll try to find what he said. (this is from the May 2004 issue of GW)

GW: When Guitar World interviewed you in 2002, you suggested that Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jonny Lang were overrated as virtuosos because, after all, they were only playing the blues. Do you still hold to that?

White: Well, i didn't mean anything harmful about them. I think my point was that it's very easy to play solos in the blues and to become very proficient in a superficial way very quickly. It's very simple, and that's the point of the blues, which is great. That's why it's the most perfect form of music of all time, because anybody can get into it very quickly. It's just that i'm not really interested in wailing on the guitar and going off on tangents. If it means something, if it's purposeful, then yeah. It's just a different school of thought....
But I wasn't trying to put down Stevie Ray Vaughan. I liked him a lot when i was a teenager; I had his records.

Yeah, the comments mentioned earlier might have been from the 2002 interview, but here you go.

sirpsycho85
10-30-2005, 07:15 PM
^ IMO that changes everything. note that he says it's "very easy to play soloes in the blues and to become very proficient in a superficial way."

and "If it means something, if it's purposeful, then yeah. It's just a different school of thought...."

so he isn't dissing the blues there at all. he is saying it's easy to get into, which is true. but about actually playing it, he says its easy to do it superficially, just playing fast from a blues scale. now, even if you don't agree that this is what SRV did, i think the actual quote there is not at all insulting to the blues. quite the opposite, jack says he doesn't like ppl just wanking on the scale. he says if its purposeful, then its good.

jayr123guitar
10-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Thank you!!!! The article!!!! Boy you guys sure blew that one out of proportion. He's right by the way. Next time before you go to town on a musician because somebody says that somebody said that it was written somewhere that he/she said something, you might to read for yourself!

Encore_God
10-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Hahaha. How very amusing. He didn't 'trash' anyone or anything, notably no mentions of any Delta guys were made, and he certainly doesn't want to diminish the impact of the legacy of Mr Vaughan...

*awaits apologies*

jayr123guitar
10-30-2005, 09:03 PM

Wrong.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-30-2005, 09:27 PM
No... find the other magazine and we'll see. He noticed he got bad publization... I still say hes wrong in what he said in that issue. If he thinks blues solos are easy to play, I still say he's doing a crummy job at it, because i have yet to hear a good blues solo out of him.

Besides,I never based my opinion souly on that. I've admitted I used to like the Stripes, it was a phase that I grew out of.

forklifterer
10-30-2005, 09:33 PM
First off why do you all want to argue more some may have made comments about an article but I stay by what I have said throughout this whole topic and I dont understand why everyone keeps trying to go after another person. Also before you didnt believe anyone when they said Jack White made comments in a Guitar World and you wanted proof I really dont care but how can you trust that whatever that person posted is even what was written?

sirpsycho85
10-30-2005, 09:58 PM
No... find the other magazine and we'll see. He noticed he got bad publization... I still say hes wrong in what he said in that issue. If he thinks blues solos are easy to play, I still say he's doing a crummy job at it, because i have yet to hear a good blues solo out of him.

Besides,I never based my opinion souly on that. I've admitted I used to like the Stripes, it was a phase that I grew out of.

the sentence where he says it's easy to play blues solos he says its easy in a superficial way. you have to realize that when people speak, they pause, repeat things a little, etc.

"it's very easy to play solos in the blues and to become very proficient in a superficial way very quickly"

you have to treat that as one thought, cut him some slack and understand that whole sentence is saying it's easy to play superficially. it's easy just to play blues solos. it is, anybody can. but it's not easy to do it well, and jack never says it is. whether or not you think he's good at blues is one thing, but i have seen plenty of interviews with the white stripes, and he has never come off as arrogant towards the blues, it is easily his favorite genre of music, and this quote is more of him talking about SRV being somewhat overrated than it is anything else.

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-30-2005, 10:40 PM
^That's a bunch of bs imo. Who would say that its easy, if they didnt mean, to do it well. I mean thats like me saying... Shooting a gun is so easy, but I can't hit a target from 10 feet away. Just bs if you ask me.

skillsmcrobot
10-30-2005, 11:09 PM
alright lets answer some Qs...

Well lets see...a the rural delta style was usually set in what was the standard blues form. very repetitive and a simple scale, not to mention everyone borrowing eachothers licks and verses.

he seems pretty darn influenced with many songs using the 12 bar format, with bluesy licks, and some familiar verses (not just in covers)

To take things form his interview out of context and reduce it into an all out confrontation doesnt exactly make you seem very enlightened.

well thats open for debate. but it seems that if its what hes done with the white stripes then i think its working. just as soon as when blues went electric, didn't people start using dirty distorted sounds? that seems to mix with a punk sound i guess.
you could say the delta had its polyrhythms, muddy waters had the pitch tone subtly, eric clapton had melody, and the blues' latest incarnation through jack white has a new sound open for interpretation.

sirpsycho85
10-30-2005, 11:45 PM
^That's a bunch of bs imo. Who would say that its easy, if they didnt mean, to do it well. I mean thats like me saying... Shooting a gun is so easy, but I can't hit a target from 10 feet away. Just bs if you ask me.

that's not what he said. what would be analogous is if he said "shooting a gun is easy, just shooting around for the hell of it. if you were being accurate, that's another thing"

thats basically what he said, except that instead of shooting around, think of it as just playing thoughtlessly. that, plus the fact that every other time i've seen him speak he has never insulted the blues leads me to believe that you are misunderstanding what he is saying.

if you want to get into a debate about the language, i read it as the second part of his sentence, "to become proficient in a superficial way" is clarifying the first part where he says "to play a blues solo is easy". I can't imagine reading it as "blues is easy to play" "it is also easy to play superficially".

i honestly don't understand what is so complicated. everything else in that paragraph was talking about how much he favors the blues over everything else. that one sentence was talking about how playing superficially is easy. you are taking half of his sentence which didn't get to the main point of his thought, and basing everything off of that instead of everything else he said there and in every other interview i've seen or read. i can't imagine that you could take that there to mean he doesn't have respect for the blues or his heroes. the whole damn thing was just stating his opinion that SRV played more superficially compared to the other blues greats he is lumped with. that's his opinion, certainly not everyones, and i certainly am not asking you to even call him a good guitarist, but you are reading extremely out of context to say that he is insulting the blues.

i swear that this is like a tiny scale john lennon saying that the beatles were bigger than jesus comment. that was taken horribly out of context, because john was actually talking about how bad it is that pop culture is bigger than religion, but people took one sentence, cut out everything around it, and look what happened. this is the same. half the people posting here interpret that one sentence one way, half the other way. even if that sentence was alone, it'd be a stretch to call it an insult to blues and not just superficial blues, but regardless, i could cut you some slack there. however, your opinion, while it is yours to keep if you want, does go against the rest of the paragraph, and everything i've ever heard from them up to this point. it just makes so little sense to me to interpret it that way. i am 100% certain you are far more knowledgable of the blues than me, and what you think of him as a musician is one thing, but neither of us know jack white personally, i absolutely believe he has a ton of respect and reverance for the blues, and that basically all the evidence supports that claim.

jayr123guitar
10-31-2005, 10:03 AM

What? Now theres another unseen article out there? Lets see the quotes. By the way the minor penatonic/blues is possibly the easiest scale to memorize and jam with. Am I wrong?

Encore_God
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
If he thinks blues solos are easy to play, I still say he's doing a crummy job at it, because i have yet to hear a good blues solo out of him.

Since when exactly has the blues been all about solos?!

Jeez...

Crzyrckgtrst28
10-31-2005, 02:56 PM
*Sigh* :rolleyes: Did i say it ever was? No. I was simply replying to this
^ IMO that changes everything. note that he says it's "very easy to play soloes in the blues

What? Now theres another unseen article out there? Lets see the quotes. By the way the minor penatonic/blues is possibly the easiest scale to memorize and jam with. Am I wrong?

That wasn't the one that we were talking about from the beginning, if you would've read what he said... "Yeah, the comments mentioned earlier might have been from the 2002 interview, but here you go.", then you would realize that. And the blues isn't about how easy the scales are. Who cares. You can take a simple scale and make it into the most difficult thing in the world if you're good enough at it.

sirpsycho85
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
^ wow, now you literally cut that sentence in half with your quote, quoting out of context on one half of a thought of a long post i had. this is getting ridiculous. i mean i guess i'll just agree to disagree with your opinion on jack white, but no need to make me look like an idiot by quoting me like that.

jayr123guitar
10-31-2005, 11:37 PM
.........You can take a simple scale and make it into the most difficult thing in the world if you're good enough at it.

True enough. It's really what you put into it. Jack White still isn't the blues hating, egotistical guy everybody made him sound like at the beginning of this thread. Besides if you or I can play blues and like it, why can't he?

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-01-2005, 07:15 AM
I just don't consider him blues... thats all. If he wants to play the blues, let him, play the blues, not what he plays now. :)

Encore_God
11-01-2005, 07:21 AM
^ wow, now you literally cut that sentence in half with your quote, quoting out of context on one half of a thought of a long post i had. this is getting ridiculous. i mean i guess i'll just agree to disagree with your opinion on jack white, but no need to make me look like an idiot by quoting me like that.

In conclusion: Jack White does his thing, and does a good job of it. Some blues folks like him, some don't. Some appreciate his contribution to the genre, some do not. He made some comments in a magazine, which were probably inane. He's got a lot of publicity off the back of it, that's for damn sure!

Eric Clapton plays guitar, and does it quite well at times. Some people like contemporary blues, or electric blues. Some do not, or like a bit of everything. Some people like jazz as well! :rolleyes:

The blues is blindingly simple, but nearly impossible to truly master to a high degree of emotional power that provokes immediate empathy from diverse audiences.

There. Now everyone, shuddupa yer face.

Jack_White37
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM

In conclusion: Jack White does his thing, and does a good job of it. Some blues folks like him, some don't. Some appreciate his contribution to the genre, some do not. He made some comments in a magazine, which were probably inane. He's got a lot of publicity off the back of it, that's for damn sure!

Eric Clapton plays guitar, and does it quite well at times. Some people like contemporary blues, or electric blues. Some do not, or like a bit of everything. Some people like jazz as well! :rolleyes:

The blues is blindingly simple, but nearly impossible to truly master to a high degree of emotional power that provokes immediate empathy from diverse audiences.

There. Now everyone, shuddupa yer face.

Nailed it right on the nose with that one.

Steph Bets
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
i have to say though that they are bring blues based music to a wider audience, who are trying to get into the older stuff. ive always beena bit of a blues fan, mostly a noob but it was people like the white stripes, brian setzer etc who got me back into looking at blues a relevant genre.

thankyou!

jimizeppelin
11-04-2005, 01:13 AM
THEY'RE BLUES. Theres nothing but stripe haters here jack can play the blues way better than every one here. Now close this thread cause my opnion is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Encore_God
11-04-2005, 03:36 AM
THEY'RE BLUES. Theres nothing but stripe haters here jack can play the blues way better than every one here. Now close this thread cause my opnion is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: The conclusions have already been reached, Sir N00batron. And you may notice that quite a few folks here LIKE the Stripes. Me included.

And there's no such thing as a right opinion..

*kicks back to the Newbie Corner*

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
............jack can play the blues way better than every one here.

I think not

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-04-2005, 09:41 AM
I think not

:haha and thats even coming from someone who stood up for him

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
:haha and thats even coming from someone who stood up for him

I like the White Stripes. Jack can play the blues if he wants, but he's not spectacular as far as blues guitar goes. As I said before his strengths lie elsewhere.

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
That's what I mean, I really don't think he's a blues guitarist at all really, but i do think he's a talented songwriter

Alarming Carrot
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
The White Stripes are probably the biggest garage/blues-rock band out right now. And I don't particularly like their music but Jack White is at least making the blues interesting, not the same repetitive crap you see everywhere else. Who's to say what or what isn't blues? Sounds like a bit of elitism to me. I've heard of another great guitarist, Monte Montgomery, also talk about how he only likes the blues if it's done a certain way and that it was a pretty easy thing to play, that's why you see all these 12 yr. old prodigies playing it. I'm not trying to trash the blues or anything(it's a lot easier on the ear than shred) but you can at least try to see where Jack White's coming from.

I'm not a huge fan of the blues, like I stated earlier it's very repetitive. Look at the guy from the Los Lonely Boys, he's not doing anything that SRV or Hendrix weren't doing before him. Or Keb Mo, a lot of Clapton, later BB King, etc. I only like it if it's original, guys like Taj Mahal, Hendrix, Fahey, and Ry Cooder were original. Same with Jack White, say what you will about the White Stripes but you'd be hard pressed to find a band that sounds like them.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Jack White, he's all right. Not deserving of the top 20 in 2003's Rolling Stone Greatest Guitarist list ahead of guys like Neil Young, Pete Towenshend, Nick Drake, etc. Frankly, that kind of pisses me off, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he can play guitar and play it well, and there are a few solos I find quite impressive.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-04-2005, 10:49 PM
The White Stripes are probably the biggest garage/blues-rock band out right now. And I don't particularly like their music but Jack White is at least making the blues interesting, not the same repetitive crap you see everywhere else. Who's to say what or what isn't blues? Sounds like a bit of elitism to me. I've heard of another great guitarist, Monte Montgomery, also talk about how he only likes the blues if it's done a certain way and that it was a pretty easy thing to play, that's why you see all these 12 yr. old prodigies playing it. I'm not trying to trash the blues or anything(it's a lot easier on the ear than shred) but you can at least try to see where Jack White's coming from.

I'm not a huge fan of the blues, like I stated earlier it's very repetitive. Look at the guy from the Los Lonely Boys, he's not doing anything that SRV or Hendrix weren't doing before him. Or Keb Mo, a lot of Clapton, later BB King, etc. I only like it if it's original, guys like Taj Mahal, Hendrix, Fahey, and Ry Cooder were original. Same with Jack White, say what you will about the White Stripes but you'd be hard pressed to find a band that sounds like them.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Jack White, he's all right. Not deserving of the top 20 in 2003's Rolling Stone Greatest Guitarist list ahead of guys like Neil Young, Pete Towenshend, Nick Drake, etc. Frankly, that kind of pisses me off, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he can play guitar and play it well, and there are a few solos I find quite impressive.

:haha :haha Wow... just... wow... How does Keb' Mo' sound anything like clapton? Everything is taking ideas from something else... EVERYTHING... otherwise we'd be reinventing the wheel right now. How many 12 year old prodigies play the blues? Anyone? NONE. What 12 year old has the blues? Not very many... a few. How is anything Jack White plays interesting? You call the blues repetitive and then praise a man who made a whole song with the same 4 notes over and over :rolleyes: Do your research son.

Ozeshin
11-05-2005, 05:39 AM

I am with you my friend.
They ride the blues bandwagon without actually being blues based...nice cash cow I guess.

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 11:06 AM
...... How many 12 year old prodigies play the blues? Anyone? NONE. What 12 year old has the blues? Not very many....

http://www.jimmybowskill.com/

Derek Trucks was pretty young when he started playing professionally. I think he was 14. Now hes in The Allman Brothers Band. Jonny Lang was pretty young when he first came out. I'm sure theres a bunch more too..........And which 4 note song are you refering too?

Alarming Carrot
11-05-2005, 02:25 PM
:haha :haha Wow... just... wow... How does Keb' Mo' sound anything like clapton? Everything is taking ideas from something else... EVERYTHING... otherwise we'd be reinventing the wheel right now. How many 12 year old prodigies play the blues? Anyone? NONE. What 12 year old has the blues? Not very many... a few. How is anything Jack White plays interesting? You call the blues repetitive and then praise a man who made a whole song with the same 4 notes over and over :rolleyes: Do your research son.

I didn't say Keb Mo sounded like Clapton, did I? I just said they're both unoriginal. There's also a big difference by using people as influences and sounding exactly like them. I believe that happens a lot in blues.

I know a few kids around my area that can play blues licks, it's not that hard. What 12 yr. old has the blues? What are you, 16? That's the biggest load of **** I've ever heard. The blues is a systematic approach to the guitar wherein certain notes and chords are played in a certain rhythm. You don't have to be depressed to play it.

How is anything Jack White plays interesting? Way to ask a question that nobody could possibly prove. That's your opinion you jackass and you're obviously not giving in very much. Jack White is at least original(like i've stated more than enough times), name somebody who sounds like the White Stripes. You can't do it. And don't call me son, you sound about 12.

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I didn't say Keb Mo sounded like Clapton, did I? I just said they're both unoriginal. There's also a big difference by using people as influences and sounding exactly like them. I believe that happens a lot in blues.

I know a few kids around my area that can play blues licks, it's not that hard. What 12 yr. old has the blues? What are you, 16? That's the biggest load of **** I've ever heard. The blues is a systematic approach to the guitar wherein certain notes and chords are played in a certain rhythm. You don't have to be depressed to play it.

How is anything Jack White plays interesting? Way to ask a question that nobody could possibly prove. That's your opinion you jackass and you're obviously not giving in very much. Jack White is at least original(like i've stated more than enough times), name somebody who sounds like the White Stripes. You can't do it. And don't call me son, you sound about 12.

I sound like I'm 12 over the internet. :confused:

I'm sorry, I thought you were rambling on with your comparison of Henry Garza and Hendrix, and continued with a comparison of Clapton and Mo'. :rolleyes: I think that there's a lot of bands in CR that sound alike, just like you think in the blues... You're not a blues fan, you've said that, and I guarentee you haven't even touched anything beyond the boundries of it. Try to find another blues guitarist that sounds exactly like Elmore James or Hound Dog Taylor. The blues music evolved from the delta that displays emotions more than any other music. Many of the new artists don't have the blues as much. Blues is genious because they can make it about everyday things. Sure you can be happy when you play it, its not meant to be sad. I never said it was. Blues is about expressing emotions. 17 year olds have a lot more everyday experience than 12 year olds do. That plays a big part in blues... things that happen in everyday life. What would a 12 year old write about? A bad grade in school or a dead cat? I know a few kids that can play shred... That doesn't impress me at all. What does impress me is how well you can express your emotions in your music.

Onto Jack White... Songs like I think I smell a rat, Seven Nation Army, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, Fell in Love with a Girl, and The Hardest Button to Button, while catchy, are extremely easy, and I've stumbled over a few of those while trying to write song riffs. I'M AWARE OF MY OPINION "JACKASS" and I've expressed it. Did I say you had to agree with it? No. Did I say you had to like it? No. Did I say i cared if you liked it? No. Oh, and Name someone who sounds like the White Stripes? Fair enough.

The Strokes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Hives
The Vines
Geraldline
Love as Laughter
The Come Ons
The Black Keys
The Revelators

Oh, but I can do it.

http://www.jimmybowskill.com/

Derek Trucks was pretty young when he started playing professionally. I think he was 14. Now hes in The Allman Brothers Band. Jonny Lang was pretty young when he first came out. I'm sure theres a bunch more too..........And which 4 note song are you refering too?

Holy ****, that kid can sing... I don't like his playing much but damn he can sing.

Yeah Derek and Johnny were young but not 12... and Derek plays rock as well as blues, and did when he came out too. There's prodigies in all music. Flea from RHCP was a trumpet prodigy for jazz. How difficult is jazz trumpet? I mean wow, the stuff they play is amaaaaaaaazing.

The 4 note song, I'm sorry i checked and it's 5... would be 7 nation army. E, G, D, C, and B. I mean even the solo of the song is these notes. Come on, how repetetive is that?

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 03:33 PM
JACK WHITE Guitar World April 2003

"Of all the blues artists we love our favorites would probably be, Son House, Blind Willie Mctell and Skip James but it's Robert Johnson who inspired us the most. He was a full ranged, truly beautiful singer, good and evil are equally present in his songs. Johnson in most ways surpassed them all. He out sang out played and out performed all of the greats of his time in that area of Mississippi, even though he wasn't as popular. If the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame made any sense, The building would be named after him."

TOTAL GUITAR MAGAZINE November 2004

Q; HOW DID YOU BECOME SUCH A BLUES FAN?

Jack White:" Oh i don't know, I think there was a Howling Wolf tape in my house that one of brothers had. And then somebody played me Son House when i was like 18 or 19. Just the accapela songs, Grinnin in your Face, and John the Revelator. I was just blown away. It was like something hit me in the face and i thought 'What have i been thinking?!? I've been wasting so much time!"

Seems to me alot of people on here would get along great with Jack!

Crzyrckgtrst28
11-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Okay I've found part of the interview

Jack White 2002 Guitar World

Q. Whenever a young white kid plays the blues, there?s this thorny question of authenticity. Like, ?What right do you have to play this music??

A. "Everyone tries to do their own version of it, but it?s very easy with that to become a novelty thing and become comical, or become like a Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jonny Lang thing, where it?s just doing tons of guitar stuff. You have to remember that blues music is the easiest music to do guitar solos to. It?s probably the first thing people learn to solo to, so for someone like Vaughan or Lang to go off and do all these guitar solos and be called guitar gods and virtuosos, it ain?t no big thing, man! It?s not brain surgery to play blues music."

That's all i could find of it.

Anyway thats where I disagree with him. I've said it once and I'll say it a million times. THE EMOTION that blues guitarists put into their music is what makes it great. A good blues guitarist can make a single note send chills down your spine. That's the only music that can do that, or has ever done it to me atleast IMO.

And this is the last you'll see of me in this thread, its really been bringing out the worst in everyone. And its sad to see this forum like this. :cheers:

Jack_White37
11-05-2005, 04:06 PM
What does impress me is how well you can express your emotions in your music.

I'd agree that that is the most important part about playing the blues, and playing music in general. If you can't feel what your playing everything just sounds forced and kind of without flow. Pretty recently I have been to a White Stripes concert and trust me he's got emotion in his music, the whole night I was just in awe of his playing and stage presence.

Oh, and Name someone who sounds like the White Stripes? Fair enough.

The Strokes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Geraldline
Love as Laughter
The Come Ons
The Black Keys
The Revelators

I don't think any of those bands sound at all like The White Stripes. Maybe just vocally, as in they probably use the same type of effects for the singer. But if it isn't rap or crap-pop bands (simple plan, my chemical romance, etc..)it all sounds different to me.

Some of you are probably forgetting that The White Stripes are a "minimalist" band, they try to do the most and best they can with very little, and a song like 7 nation army is a great example of that (still, its probably my least favorite song from them). How many of you can make a song that simple and make it sound that good.

But If you don't like them, thats your choice. I can't change your opinion or force mine upon you, all I can say is try to give them a chance and see them live, you won't regret it.

But just looking at my user name, its no wonder why I'm supporting them. :p:

Alarming Carrot
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I sound like I'm 12 over the internet. :confused:

Yes, "sound" wasn't meant literally so don't try to sound smart, what I was saying is that from what I gather from your posts you're not very articulate.

Try to find another blues guitarist that sounds exactly like Elmore James or Hound Dog Taylor. The blues music evolved from the delta that displays emotions more than any other music. Many of the new artists don't have the blues as much. Blues is genious because they can make it about everyday things. Sure you can be happy when you play it, its not meant to be sad. I never said it was. 17 year olds have a lot more everyday experience than 12 year olds do. That plays a big part in blues... things that happen in everyday life. What would a 12 year old write about? A bad grade in school or a dead cat? I know a few kids that can play shred... That doesn't impress me at all. What does impress me is how well you can express your emotions in your music.

If these kids played a few licks you would say it's the blues. I don't care how emotional you think it is it's still a blues lick. And how emotional are the Los Lonely Boys or John Mayer? Sounds like bubblegum **** to me and just because Buddy Guy says he's good doesn't mean he's good. 17, 12, neither age is out in the real world so what could you write about? A bad grade in school or a dead cat? "The Blues" is a relative term therefore I don't think you're some kind of artibitrary judge on the issue. But whatever, I don't like discussing a topic I don't like anyways.

Onto Jack White... Songs like I think I smell a rat, Seven Nation Army, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, Fell in Love with a Girl, and The Hardest Button to Button, while catchy, are extremely easy, and I've stumbled over a few of those while trying to write song riffs. I'M AWARE OF MY OPINION "JACKASS" and I've expressed it. Did I say you had to agree with it? No. Did I say you had to like it? No. Did I say i cared if you liked it? No. Oh, and Name someone who sounds like the White Stripes? Fair enough.

Easy doesn't mean ****. There are a few easy Jimi Hendrix does that automatically remove him as the best guitar player ever? **** no, or Neil Young, he's got quite a few easy tunes too. It's not the difficulty put into some riff, it's if the song sounds good. Steve Vai is hard as hell to play, but he's a terrible songwriter therefore overall a mediocre musician, IMO.

The Strokes

How in the hell do the Strokes sound like the White Stripes at all? Have you listened to the Strokes? Two completely different bands. Guitar-wise Jack White's is very blues-based and the Stokes'(at least in their rythems) have a very retro/80's sound. And the voices aren't even close.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Uhhhh...the lead singer is a chick and I don't know where you're coming from at all with this one.

The Hives

Maybe because of the garage rock similiarties but that's about it. The Hives are strictly that while the White Stripes go into different areas.

The Vines

Oh Jesus, you're really reaching now...

Geraldline
Love as Laughter
The Revelators

Haven't even heard of these.

The Come Ons

Nope...

The Black Keys

The closest one on here because of the Blues-Rock thing but the Black Keys are very by-the-book in this order(I actually like the Black Keys a lot) and the White Stripes have a very different sound.

I can't believe I'm arguing over a guy I don't like all that much.

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Okay I've found part of the interview

Jack White 2002 Guitar World

Q. Whenever a young white kid plays the blues, there?s this thorny question of authenticity. Like, ?What right do you have to play this music??

A. "Everyone tries to do their own version of it, but it?s very easy with that to become a novelty thing and become comical, or become like a Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jonny Lang thing, where it?s just doing tons of guitar stuff. You have to remember that blues music is the easiest music to do guitar solos to. It?s probably the first thing people learn to solo to, so for someone like Vaughan or Lang to go off and do all these guitar solos and be called guitar gods and virtuosos, it ain?t no big thing, man! It?s not brain surgery to play blues music."

:

Ok, see thats proof. That is a ignorant comment. He could have validated himself a bit more by not including SRV. My opinion still stands. Play what you like, listen to what you like and have fun!

This is the end of this thread for me as well.

Jack_White37
11-05-2005, 04:54 PM
^ But he also failed to mention that Jack said "I?m not saying those guys aren?t talented, but they?re not Paganini or anything." But you know whatever you have to do to prove a point. Here's the actual interview everyones refering to

http://www.jimdero.com/News2002/GWWhiteStripes.htm

The thing is everytime some one is just starting out playing guitar and wants to learn to solo, among other things, people always suggest to solo over simple blues progressions like the 12 bar prog. It might not come out that great at first but for a beginer learning over the simple 12 bar is the easiest way to learn the basics about soloing. But just like all styles of music, the blues can get way more complicated then simple 12 bar.

ridcullylives
11-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Okay, you totally misinterpreted him.

A. "Everyone tries to do their own version of it, but it?s very easy with that to become a novelty thing and become comical,

(everyone tries to do the blues....but it's easy to just make a joke out of it)

or become like a Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jonny Lang thing, where it?s just doing tons of guitar stuff. You have to remember that blues music is the easiest music to do guitar solos to.

(these people don't actually play the blues...they just do fast solos over the blues scale, which in itself is not hard to learn)

It?s probably the first thing people learn to solo to, so for someone like Vaughan or Lang to go off and do all these guitar solos and be called guitar gods and virtuosos, it ain?t no big thing, man! It?s not brain surgery to play blues music."

(He's saying if you're not a real bluesman...i.e. don't really have your heart in it...it's rediculous to call someone who's just really good at a simple scale a virtuoso. Which makes sense. The debate is whether those people have their soul in it.)

TNfootballfan62
11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Play what you like, listen to what you like and have fun!

This is the end of this thread for me as well.

That is great advice, and i think we should all follow it. :cheers:

Encore_God
11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
How many 12 year old prodigies play the blues? Anyone? NONE. What 12 year old has the blues? Not very many... a few.

Eric Steckel was 13 when he first got noticed. However, I won't be interested in him for at least another 20 years yet. ;)

And I'd probably be opening another can of worms with the opinions of blues purists on SRV, so I'll can it, and follow jayr123guitar's common sense idea...

TNfootballfan62
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Eric Steckel was 13 when he first got noticed. However, I won't be interested in him for at least another 20 years yet. ;)

Eric Steckel doesn't have the blues, he's a talented guitarist that is very good at playing covers note for note.

ridcullylives
11-08-2005, 10:01 AM
^^^ That's how Clapton started.

Hey...let's close this and start a new thread...what modern blues guitarists do you think really have "the blues?"

Well I'm gonna start it...

_i_love_rock
12-31-2006, 09:41 AM
im hurt that so many people have such bad things to say about the white stripes! jack white is a hero, he speaks his mind and he knows how he feels, he gets it all across amazingly well in his music! how can u 'hate' such a talented musician! hes a fantastic musician and his music is awesome

Falcatarius
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
So much hatred amongst my fellow Blues lovers! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think it should be pretty damned clear at this point that opinions on Blues are extremely divided. So i'm going to give my two cents on it, and as i do, please keep in mind i love pretty much every form of blues imaginable, whether it's Son House or John Mayer, I love it all. This thread has gone on long enough and i'd like to try and kill it before even more bad blood has been made.

I see the relationship between blues rock as being a spectrum of sorts. With pure, delta/acoustic blues at one end and pure rock n' roll at the other.

To me, artists that deal with the two genres are placed somewhere along the spectrum according to what they play and how it was influenced by each genre. For example, let's look at Buddy guy...
He was the first man to take the acoustic blues and truly transfer it to the electric. His wild, wailing style formed the basis of many classic rock artists. Yet at the same time, his playing remained purely within the context of the blues and he never strayed outside of it; not only that but he was influenced most strongly by the original delta bluesmen and even played with several of them.

As such, while Buddy Guy is definitly not delta, but he's also as close to the blues as a wailing rocker can get. As such, I would group him much more towards the "blues" end of the spectrum then rock.

Attempting to compare blues artists within this spectrum is a fool's exercise as unless they are grouped in the same general area of the spectrum it would inevitably devolve into the same sort of flame-war this has become.

This is because when it comes to spectrums like this, people have certain cut-off points in which they can't be interested in the music anymore. For example, a delta blues afficiendo might only be able to take his enjoyment of blues/rock hybrids as far as Buddy Guy, after that people like Eric Clapton or SRV just don't interest them. Never mind people like Jimmy Page or Jack White. Same thing (only reversed) for the Rocker's at the other end of the spectrum.

This clash between the rock-based end and the blues-based end of the spectrum is the grounds for the fiercest fighting i've seen on this forum. This thread being an example of that.

If your on one side, or even if you happen to like it all, you need to remember that others don't share that opinion and you need to acknowledge and respect that when it comes to expressing your opinions.

Part of this is just common courtesy, no-one wants to hear something they enjoy get verbally abused for no reason. But going even deeper then that is just respect for the other forms of music within that spectrum and beyond.

People tend to forget that all music is entwined in it's influences and that each artist brings his own unique influences, playing and perspective to the musical playing field. Their rights need to be respected.

And that is the my long-winded reason for believing that everyone here just needs to chill out and be comfortable with their own choices in music. Express your opinions in a respectable way and in turn you'll garner respect.

As for the original topic itself. I think we can all agree that within the blues/rock spectrum we can place Jack White much more towards the rock (specifically garage rock) end of the spectrum then blues. I myself would classify him as a garage rock artist with some classic delta blues influence. He dosn't play the blues, but he takes some cues from it.

As for his own opinions and thoughts on blues, I leave those to him as i judge artists not by who they are but by what they play. However, from what I've seen he's a bit arrogant but also very intelligent.

Anyways, if anyone actually managed to read all of that. Thank you for taking the time!

Happy New Years!
-Falcatarius

65_Jaguar
01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
What the hell is with all the blues snobs? I have been reading through this thread from start to finish, and some of the stupid unsolicited remarks are driving me crazy.

Im sorry Crzyrckgtrst28, but you have absolutely no blues credibility to me at all. You have all but demonstrated your clear lack of understanding for what blues music fundamentally is. Esoteric name dropping does not give you some sort of presiding rule over what is and what isn't blues music.

Can someone explain to me what is it that prevents Jack White from being blues? His mainstream rock and roll hits? If you judge the White Stripes from their material that has hit the mainstream, then you're just as bad as someone who judges the blues by artists like Eric Clapton or Led Zeppelin.

If you bother to look further than down the length of your nose, you'd know that White has quite a good understanding of blues history, and despite what you think you know, he is quite a proficient bluesman. Not because he can bust out a wailing, brain melting guitar solo, but because he plays the blues with what you guys are constantly prattling on about; Feeling. Conviction. Sincerity. If you disagree, then chances are you've never seen him properly play the blues.

He might have a different style from what is generally accepted as blues, but if blues players didn't push the boundaries of the genre, then it'd still be traditional delta blues, the electric guitar would never have entered the arena, the Chicago style blues would not have come to light and this argument would not have come to pass. Music evolves, accept it.

TNfootballfan62
01-01-2007, 08:08 PM
This is quite the old thread........

Encore_God
01-02-2007, 06:32 AM
This is quite the old thread........

I concur. I thought it had fallen over quite some time ago...

Falcatarius
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I was under the impression it was quite recent. I hadn't been on the forum in a while and it was up here again when I came back. My bad.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

TNfootballfan62
01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
^This thread was started and died a few months before you registered, lol.

It's okay, though you didnt revive it. :cheers:

jayr123guitar
01-03-2007, 01:19 PM
AHHHHHHH, the good old days. This one was quite fun if I recall correctly. I must have had alot of time on my hands to actually care what other people thought about this topic.