Conor Oberst

PDA

View Full Version : Conor Oberst

xdespairfactor
10-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Someone explain to me why there is such a cult following to him?

I just never understood.

stratstrummer40
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
me either. i like him. but hes SO overrated.
yeah his lyrics are pretty good but hes really not all that special.

mike kinsella is sooo much better :P

mogwai777
10-20-2005, 04:47 PM
His lyrics are good, but his voice is obnoxious, idunno, people just love "emotion"

sponj
10-20-2005, 04:49 PM
who's that?

Andrewbiles
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
who's that?

Bright Eyes & Desaparecidos bloke.
I'm glad people on here are finally realising that he's really not that good. Personally I've never understood why people like him (other than 'the calender hung itself'), I guess some people are just mad.

jallas
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I dunno, some people just really liek him, like how Green Day have tons of supporters I guess.
I really like Conor, I know he's not like the greatest guy ever I just relaly like him. Why? I dunno, I like his lyrics, and his voice, and his songs, and stuff.

Final
10-20-2005, 04:52 PM
^I'm with Alice on this.

Iluvpowerchords
10-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Someone explain to me why there is such a cult following to him?

I just never understood.

I really do not like him and fail to see why so many people worship him.

Kinda like Tim Burton

mat3305
10-20-2005, 05:06 PM
i have no idea who that is is he some sort of emo guy? i tend not to like emo.

Andrewbiles
10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I really do not like him and fail to see why so many people worship him.

Kinda like Tim Burton

There's a display of talent from Tim Burton though ;)

slinks
10-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Eh, he's alright for some acoustic stuff once in a while, and I like his voice. But I'd rather listen to Damien Rice or Iron & Wine any day of the week for my acoustic/ folky needs.

ghettohippygrrl
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I can't understand it. I guess because a) his voice quivers due to a lack of vocal ability and b) he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore, then c) it all must equal a genius of emotional expression. Bull. Shit. All his songs drip in pretension and sound the same unless he has producers polishing them up so they are even discernable from one another. In short, Conor sucks.

frd_marshll
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
really love conor the music and lyrics and great the voice is not that great but it as gotten alot better with time and the use of so many different insterments is great

PunkRawk1224
10-20-2005, 07:41 PM
i like bright eyes and desa quite a bit, but i agree about him being over-rated. oh well, i still like him, i dont care what ghettohippygirl says.

public_witness
10-20-2005, 08:55 PM
what pisses me off more than anything is the dylan comparisons.
dylan wrote political folk, and later he wrote layered allusive imagist poems. oberst writes self obsessed teen angst poems. completely ****ing different leagues.
oberst is not very good at all.

.:bleednomore:.
10-20-2005, 09:45 PM
He is overrated
however i like him
But there are
better people out there then him

i personally love Mike Kinsella

Aka55
10-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Katie, Conors lyrics are good because they're simple but catchy and not cliché, so you have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore'.

Unless you're just really dumb.

You can be like Andrew and just say you don't like him, not constantly attack him because you know **** all about him.

And for those who say he has no talent (Andrew), at least admit that you haven't heard most of his stuff and are basing it on a handfull of songs.

I do agree that he's incredibly overrated, just check out the official Bright Eyes thread to see, but to attack him and say he hasn't got any talent or songwriting ability, that's just false.

The cult following are scenesters. The end.

Bright Eyes is the Taking Back Sunday of Indie.

(Open for arguments)

martyr
10-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I think Conor's a brilliant lyracist. And his style is definetely unique. I don't see why good things can't have a cult following, like The Warriors, The Mars Volta, or Conor Obrest.

dougiecrystals
10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I honestly don't know why I like Conor Oberst.

I just do.

I can't say I like him because of his lyrics, or because of his voice or anything, I don't know, I just like it.

Really this goes with all bands, I just simply like the music.

So far, I have most of his stuff, probably the worst song is "Have you Ever Heard of Jandek?" or something like that..

Overrated, meh...I don't know, for every person who says he's a ****ing God, there's a person saying how he's some gay whiney bitch.

There's no in between when it comes to Conor Oberst it seems usually, people just either adore him or despise him.

I loooooooooooove Conor Oberst.

Favourite artist/band at the moment.

Actually, no, at the moment it's Fall of Troy, but...2nd favourite band of the moment.

ghettohippygrrl
10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Katie, Conors lyrics are good because they're simple but catchy and not cliché, so you have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore'.

Unless you're just really dumb.

You can be like Andrew and just say you don't like him, not constantly attack him because you know **** all about him.

And for those who say he has no talent (Andrew), at least admit that you haven't heard most of his stuff and are basing it on a handfull of songs.

Excuse me, do I know you, aka55? I have heard Conor's music, thanks. If I hadn't heard it, I wouldn't be able to say with such certainty that it blows. Conor has used some of the worst metaphors I have ever heard. He goes on and and on with stupid metaphor on top on another until it's a jumbled, foggy mess that makes no sense. He has the occasional clever metaphor but, what do they say... a broken clock is still right twice a day?

Don't be a hyprocrite -- you could be like (pick someone) and say you simply like him, not constantly defend him and dickride him.

I have downloaded tons and tons of his stuff because of legions of devoted, obsessed followers like you. So don't act like you know **** about what I have heard and what I haven't. He has a couple good songs, but the vast majority of what he churns out is garbage. Maybe he should harnass the talent that he does have into making a few good songs rather than groves of mediocre songs.

I know it's hard for you to believe that someone has actually heard his music and doesn't think Conor is a god. Well, believe it. It's obvious that most of his stuff is half-assed, medicore, same-sounding, pretentious dribble. Unless you're just really dumb.

Aka55
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Please give me an example of a song that he writes complicated and overly metaphorical lyrics. Half the kids on this board write things more complicated than his stuff.

I'm not telling you to like him, I'm just saying that half of the posts I've seen you make are of you bashing him about the same unproved ****. You think he's pretentious? Ok, that's your opinion, that's why you don't like him. He can't be a lesser musician because you believe he's pretentious. He's lesser of a musician because he writes most of his stuff in the same key, not because you think he's a phony. But then again, writing 50 songs in one key and still making most of them sound distinguishable is a pretty massive feat.

I already said why I liked him, his lyrics are simple but not cliché, and even when they are in some songs when taken out of context (First day of my life, Lua), he pulls it off.

I can see why you don't like him, and I never attacked you for that. I attacked you because you go on and on and on trying to make people stop listening to him and debate about his talent. Drop it, you won't change anyones mind just like I won't change anyones mind. I'm not trying to convert anybody, just to defend someone that clearly shouldn't be attacked.

You don't like him, you don't like him, I don't care. Just stop thinking you're the queen of talent rating and telling people the music they like sucks. You're worse than the 'metal' and 'punk' kids that come into the Emo forum to say Emo sucks because emo kids cry and cut themselves. Please.

This is an overlap of what I wanted to yell at you about from the ONLY Bright Eyes Thread. I don't like green day, you don't see me constantly posting there...

P.S. This is the first time I defend Bright Eyes this profusely, so don't think you know me. :)

ghettohippygrrl
10-21-2005, 04:09 PM
You know what? Why don't you drop it? Everyone is allowed to state their opinion unless it's me saying Conor blows, then you whine like a little ****ing baby. Unproved ****? Listen to his songs. All you hear when you listen to Conor are hearts and puppies, so I wouldn't expect you to hear what anyone else would. If I did actually waste my time and give you glaring examples, you wouldn't hear of it. And quite frankly, I don't care if you agree with me or not. Yet you obviously care if I agree with you as demonstrated by your unrelenting need to berate me over this.

"I can see why you don't like him, and I never attacked you for that. I attacked you because you go on and on and on trying to make people stop listening to him and debate about his talent." -- Well, the problem with that sentence is that you attack me at all. I had never attacked you, all I had done was stated my opinion on Conor ****ing Oberst and you take it as a personal massacre against you. Grow up.

"Just stop thinking you're the queen of talent rating and telling people the music they like sucks." -- What does that even mean? Last time I checked, the entire function of message boards was to talk about your personal opinions on things. I'm not the only one doing this. Look at any artist thread and you seen people praising and condemning artists. GASP!!! That's what I'm doing too. I've seen you insult the music other people like too. :rolleyes: You're such a hypocritical douche-bag.

I never said Conor had no talent whatsoever, you tool. I suggest you go back and re-read my posts because reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point. But most of his songs aren't distinguishable, as any objective first-time listener would note. And the songs that are, Conor owes a thank you to his producers.

Conor's pretension lets him release utter crap and feel great about it when brainwashed little minions like you eat it up and react in horror that someone else sees through it. I'm sure Conor will collect your blowjob you have waiting for him if he sees you.

Way to reinforce the whiny emo stereotype... you're like a toddler. "Boo hoo, Katie is insulting Bright Eyes. I must defend Conor's honor and discredit her opinion by calling her dumb!! I can't handle that someone isn't on Conor's jock."

You're not even talking about Conor's music anymore or the fact that you like him. Now it's turned into this retarded little argument about the injustice of me pointing out how hard the vast majority of his music sucks. Get over yourself, and get over me.

P.S. Conor = poop.

stratstrummer40
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
the vast majority of what he churns out is garbage. Maybe he should harnass the talent that he does have into making a few good songs rather than groves of mediocre songs.

I completely agree with that statement. I dont mean to get the middle of your little "arguement", Im just saying that is true.

Mack56
10-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Way to reinforce the whiny emo stereotype... you're like a toddler. "Boo hoo, Katie is insulting Bright Eyes. I must defend Conor's honor and discredit her opinion by calling her dumb!! I can't handle that someone isn't on Conor's jock."

Not to be mean or anything. Katie do you ever go back and read stuff like this when you type it? You do realize that you sound like a total bitch when you say things like that, right?

Now, i do think Conor is overrated, but saying that the producer is responsible for all of his good song? that's saying he has no talent. I don't care who you're talking about, that's one of the meanest and cruelest things you could say about any artist. I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, just wanted to say that.

ghettohippygrrl
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Not to be mean or anything. Katie do you ever go back and read stuff like this when you type it? You do realize that you sound like a total bitch when you say things like that, right?

Now, i do think Conor is overrated, but saying that the producer is responsible for all of his good song? that's saying he has no talent. I don't care who you're talking about, that's one of the meanest and cruelest things you could say about any artist. I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, just wanted to say that.

Of course I sound like a bitch, I only took on that tone after I was called "really dumb." Aka55 is the biggest bitch in the thread as far as I can see, and I was pointing that out. The outrage, tantrums, and attacks of intelligence over someone disagreeing with your musical tastes is downright juvenile. And he admitted he wanted to say this to me since weeks ago... wow. I stand by my statement that he sounds like a toddler.

And I don't care if you think I was "mean" or "cruel" to Conor, Mack, because it's the truth. Go listen to the **** Conor released before he had help with production. I rest my case. :rolleyes:

stellar_legs
10-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, his fans probably like his music.

But I think it's his behavior that creates the erhm cult. He has charisma, you can't deny that. The mysterious image appeals to many people.

I think he has an awful personality. he's always shouting insults at crowds. He told a texas audience that "I would rather kill myself than live in your ****ing state."

And personally, I think his lyrics are weak. They're very simple and cliched alot of the times. Do I hate him? No, not at all. I love some of his songs alot. But I do think he's a big douche bag.

dougiecrystals
10-21-2005, 07:12 PM
*Reads thread*

:rolleyes:

Annnnnnnnnywus, crap, what was i gonna say..

Oh right, apparently, as soon as Oberst gets done with his tour or whatever, it's rumoured he's gonna go do the vocals for the new Desaparecidos album, "Payola" or something like that and put it out.
Apperantly it's all done except for Oberst's vocals.

I don't know, I read this awhile ago, it's probably old news..oh well, I love Desaparecidos.

Andrewbiles
10-21-2005, 07:20 PM
*Reads thread*

Annnnnnnnnywus, crap, what was i gonna say..

Oh right, apparently, as soon as Oberst gets done with his tour or whatever, it's rumoured he's gonna go do the vocals for the new Desaparecidos album, "Payola" or something like that and put it out.
Apperantly it's all done except for Oberst's vocals.

I don't know, I read this awhile ago, it's probably old news..oh well, I love Desaparecidos.

That's good news I guess, but they should get someone else to sing for them now because I can just see it being aimed at a completely different audience now Conor has gained his popularity. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Final
10-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Wow, some people need to grow up, no reason to argue because of anothers opinion.

MattDaviesFFAF
10-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Cool, new Desa.

Anyways, I love bright Eyes. I love every track I've heard by Conor (though I haven't heard a Collection yet) all his Desa, Bright Eyes and Commander Venus stuff. It just hits the spot. It gets me depressed that I'm 15 and haven't done anything like he had.

I don't know why I like him.

I think that maybe I just like to hear him scream.

Abe
10-22-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't like him either, his voice and phrashing (forgive me, Bright Eyes fans) just sounds so fake.

MattDaviesFFAF
10-22-2005, 09:25 AM
^He's pretty much always drunk.....

P.S. put the / in your end quote thing.....

Not trying to be rude btw.

pumpkins_rule
10-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I love Bright Eyes. It is pretty simple music, but it's still really good. And not all of his lyrics are great. but in my opinion alot of his one liners are really good. My personal favourite is:

"There's kids playing guns in the street. And one's pointing his tree branch at me. I put my hands up, say enough is enough. If you walk away I'll walk away. And he shot me dead..."

Aka55
10-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I think that he's overrated by his fans but is overly critisized by the people who don't listen to him.

I like his voice, song structures and how he puts his all into most of his songs.

The end.

[I'm going to be the bigger person and not rebut your statements, I've seen you argue with people about conor for pages upon pages. I just want to let you know that you should really stop being so obssessed with him and trying to prove he's a horrible person, it makes you sound so juvenile. Next time, simply say you don't like him.]

MattDaviesFFAF
10-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I love Bright Eyes. It is pretty simple music, but it's still really good. And not all of his lyrics are great. but in my opinion alot of his one liners are really good. My personal favourite is:

"There's kids playing guns in the street. And one's pointing his tree branch at me. I put my hands up, say enough is enough. If you walk away I'll walk away. And he shot me dead..."

I do so love that bit.

Actually, I love that whole song.

Actually I love that whole album.

And all of Conor's stuff.

Yay!

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 01:09 PM
[I'm going to be the bigger person and not rebut your statements, I've seen you argue with people about conor for pages upon pages. I just want to let you know that you should really stop being so obssessed with him and trying to prove he's a horrible person, it makes you sound so juvenile. Next time, simply say you don't like him.]
:haha :haha! That is rich. You missed the chance to be the bigger person when you called me dumb and attacked me personally for saying I don't like Conor (my opinion, not an attempt to "prove" anything, smarty.) And don't lie, I never argued about Conor for pages upon pages, you tool. The only person obsessed with him here is you -- you want to give me guidelines about what I can and can't say about him? Don't hold your breath.

My favorite part about all of this is that you say this...
You don't like him, you don't like him, I don't care.And then it's followed by a page worth of why you care. :haha

Anyway, on topic:
Conor sucks ass because I like to listen to people whose lyrics are actually sincere and stem from true feelings and events, not stuff made-up to sound "good." Conor is the fakest fakey that ever faked. Oh, and most of his songs are crap and he can't sing. :) Other than those things, he's not bad. ;)

dougiecrystals
10-22-2005, 01:49 PM
That's good news I guess, but they should get someone else to sing for them now because I can just see it being aimed at a completely different audience now Conor has gained his popularity. We'll just have to wait and see though.

I see what you're saying but I don't know....

It's not like you'll be hearing Desapericidos on your radio or #1 on TRL or anything, so most of the fans who just got to liking Bright Eyes because of "First Day of My Life" won't probably ever hear the Desapercidos stuff. And for the majority of the fans who have heard most of Conor's music, well I take it they've probably at least know about Desapercidos and will probably enjoy it as much as they did the first album.

Anywus, I was thinking this the other day, if Conor had like...a nice soft Emo-pop voice, I really doubt he'd get the recongnition he's gotten.
But then again, he'd be radio-friendly I don't know.

Plus, the Calander that Hung Itself would not be as awesome as it is.

And a number of other songs.

But when it comes straight down to it, Conor Oberst is great. His voice has a unique quality. I personally enjoy relating to his either subtle or candid self-deprciation in all his songs.

Ahem...

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 04:21 PM
But when it comes straight down to it, Conor Oberst is great. His voice has a unique quality. I personally enjoy relating to his either subtle or candid self-deprciation in all his songs.
Oooh, witty... well, not really. Because any self-deprecation he does offer in his music is insincere because it's overshadowed by his heir of complete arrogance and self-satisfaction. Which, again, is why he let's himself churn out utter crap.

Elliott Smith's lyrics aren't fake even in the slightest. Conor is completely fake. And when referring to Conor, a "unique quality" in his voice simply means the guy sucks at singing. Elliott Smith can sing. But thank you for memorizing my posts from other threads, I'm flattered. :)

martyr
10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Conor is completely fake. And when referring to Conor, a "unique quality" in his voice simply means the guy sucks at singing. :)

I love how 'passion' and 'emotion' have become 'fake' and 'suck'.

Slut
10-22-2005, 05:53 PM
God forbid she have an opinion.

Andrewbiles
10-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I love how 'passion' and 'emotion' have become 'fake' and 'suck'.

:haha I have to agree with Katie on this one though.

sponj
10-22-2005, 06:28 PM
i just heard some bright eyes songs.

oh my god.. what an awfull voice.

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Ok, the fact that you bother to keep posting here seems to say that you have a personal vendetta against conor. I understand that he referenced a post of yours or something, but you came in here just to disagree with someone who said they liked conor.
Why do you only address me to tell me you want me to shut up? Look, "Mack," read the thread. Someone asked why Conor has a cult following. I said I didn't understand it and explained why. That is all. I was not the only one to say that either. But I guess when you have well-thought out reasoning for your opinion other than saying "he sucks," people don't like it and want to attack it. Whatever. I'm not only going to enter threads of bands I like because of a few select cry-babies so get used to it.

And I keep posting because people kept talking to me. In fact, the only time I have posted since my initial post is because I was spoken directly to. I haven't seen you, Mack, contribute to this thread other than to whine about me.

Final
10-22-2005, 07:50 PM
God forbid she have an opinion.

It's cool she has an opinion, but she's kinda taking it to the extreme in my opinion, but so is the other guy.. either way, they both made their points perfectly clear right away, I don't see why they need to keep posting.

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 07:58 PM
At this point, it's pretty fun to rub in the fact that I think Conor blows donkey dick just for the hilariously juvenile reactions I get. People won't let it go, they keep fighting me on it so I fight back. Really, if people would've let me have my opinion ("God forbid I have one"), I never would've gotten started. Now that I'm started, weeee! :wtf:

:p:

Final
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
^Haha, sorry if I've been starting you, I don't mean to. I just don't like seeing arguments on these forums unless I'm in them.;) But yeah, I'm done posting saying anything I was saying before, again I'm sorry if I was getting you started more, wasn't my intent.

Slut
10-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I just wanted to mention that, while I still love Conors music (although I hardly listen to him), I totally hate him as a person, and his fan base (I suppose that includes me).

And, I also wanted to mention that Katies usertext rules.

I also wanted to mention how odd it is that me and eitaK have been nice to eachother the past few posts.

I also also wanted to mention that I like to mention things alot. It's a habit.

PS - Vagina.

PunkRawk1224
10-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Oooh, witty... well, not really. Because any self-deprecation he does offer in his music is insincere because it's overshadowed by his heir of complete arrogance and self-satisfaction. Which, again, is why he let's himself churn out utter crap.

Elliott Smith's lyrics aren't fake even in the slightest. Conor is completely fake. And when referring to Conor, a "unique quality" in his voice simply means the guy sucks at singing. Elliott Smith can sing. But thank you for memorizing my posts from other threads, I'm flattered. :)

Honestly, i find Elliott to be the insincere one, and he doesn't even have that great of a voice, it works well with the music, but then again so does conor's . Don't get me wrong, i love Elliott Smith, but I just dont agree with you on that. He forces his rhyming so much that it sounds as if he is the one just writing words to make them sound good.

That doesnt really have anything to do with the thread, but whatever.

Slut
10-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Please use past tense when speaking of Elliott.

PunkRawk1224
10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
^ i actually realized i wasn't using past tense while i was typing that, but i didn't think people would be so nit-picky.

Slut
10-22-2005, 08:25 PM
My middle name is nit-picky.

Well, actually it's pit-nicky, but close enough.

PunkRawk1224
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
haha

...i dont have anything else to say, i just thought i would let you know i got a pretty good laugh out of that for some reason.

stratstrummer40
10-22-2005, 08:37 PM
wow i just realized you either love connor oberst or you hate him. atleast it seems like that in most cases.

Mack56
10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I did delete my earlier post, but i feel like saying something useful this time.

This thread has reminded me of something. People's opinions are very dead set.

anyway, Who knows why Conor has such a cult following? Maybe his fans just had the reaction they wanted to have. Maybe people just think his music is good. Maybe there are subliminal messages. hahah. maybe people like him to impress their friends.

Why does he have a cult following? Who cares?

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Honestly, i find Elliott to be the insincere one
Yeah, dude. His lyrics leading up to his suicide were totally insincere. I mean, seriously, if someone is gonna kill themself, they better damn sure mean it. I hate posers.

I just wanted to mention that, while I still love Conors music (although I hardly listen to him), I totally hate him as a person, and his fan base (I suppose that includes me).

And, I also wanted to mention that Katies usertext rules.
I'd like to mention that you bring up a good point. I immediately found Conor to be a pretentious douche-bag upon my first listens, no big deal. I don't like everything I hear. I actually liked a couple songs, but noticed that most were crap. However, my mere distaste turned onto to full dislike because of his cultish, proselytizing, cry-baby fan base.

And I want to mention that I love Josh's avatar. Not even kidding, I've never seen a better picture of Mr. T in my life. And considering that all pictures of Mr. T rule anyway, that's saying something.

Why does he have a cult following? Who cares?
Are people circumsized or not? Who cares. What's your favorite cereal? Who cares. But that's sort of what message boards are for...

Mack56
10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Are people circumsized or not? Who cares. What's your favorite cereal? Who cares. But that's sort of what message boards are for...

good point, but why worry about the fanbase an artist has, when you should clearly be more worried about the artist and his music?

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Um, I always said my basis is that I thought Conor was a pretentious douche-bag. His loser fans motivate me to be vocal and adament about it. It's like when you hate a certain song, and then everywhere you go people are like "omg this song rules!" and play it constantly and sing it loudly around you... and then you say you don't like it and they tell you you're a retard. Your hate for that crap song can only grow as a result. (I don't see why you care what I "worry about" anyway. Meh. )

Mack56
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
(I don't see why you care what I "worry about" anyway. Meh. )

I didn't really mean it that way.

Anyway, if i hate a song and a bunch of people love it, I just don't bother to say i don't like it. why give them a chance to bitch at me and call me a retard?

I'll admit that Conor does seem to be a douchebag, but (and i'm not saying it because i like the music) why give his fans a reason to get mad at you for having an opinion, unless they ask you. (and i know that this thread did do that) I'd rather remain silent than listen to some "backlash''

Slut
10-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I guess you just dont have the balls to express your opinion when the majority is against you, mack.

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Anyway, if i hate a song and a bunch of people love it, I just don't bother to say i don't like it. why give them a chance to bitch at me and call me a retard?

I'll admit that Conor does seem to be a douchebag, but (and i'm not saying it because i like the music) why give his fans a reason to get mad at you for having an opinion, unless they ask you. (and i know that this thread did do that) I'd rather remain silent than listen to some "backlash''
I'm not going to keep quiet just because people don't agree with me. If that's how things worked, can you just imagine what laws and policies would still exist in the world today? I'm not trying to compare human rights to musical tastes, but I don't think I should have to keep my opinion to myself. It's not my fault other people care too much what I think of Bright Eyes.

edit: Josh, as usual, put it more succinctly than I ever could, hehe.

Mack56
10-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm not going to keep quiet just because people don't agree with me. If that's how things worked, can you just imagine what laws and policies would still exist in the world today? I'm not trying to compare human rights to musical tastes, but I don't think I should have to keep my opinion to myself. It's not my fault other people care too much what I think of Bright Eyes.

edit: Josh, as usual, put it more succintly than I ever could, hehe.

I only keep the "silence instead of backlash" thing going when it DOES come to musical tastes. I mean, on bigger issues, I'll speak out if need be, but this is just liking a band/song/album/etc.

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 10:20 PM
That's sure convenient that music is the only instance and were on a music website. I guess you're just a better person than me, Mack...

Slut
10-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Okay so, back to Conor.

He has seriously ugly teeth.

Mack56
10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
That's sure convenient that music is the only instance and were on a music website. I guess you're just a better person than me, Mack...

Ouch....ok, i deserved that one.

I'm just saying that if you know that people are gonna disagree with you and be whiny and call you "retarded". I'd rather not give the the satisfaction of doing it.

ghettohippygrrl
10-22-2005, 10:44 PM
^ But it is I who gets the satisfaction, Mack.

Okay so, back to Conor.

He has seriously ugly teeth.
:haha

Mack56
10-22-2005, 10:49 PM
ok, since we're back on Conor, notice how almost everyone overlooks over his teeth?

I mean, you hear "Conor's so hot" all the time, like no one's seen his teeth. it's sorta funny.

MattDaviesFFAF
10-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Heehee, this thread greatly amuses me.

I'd like more people to like Conor I suppose (Intelligent people) but I'd be more worried if Katie started loviing Him like that kid in the drugs thread who smoked pot to be able to give a valid opinion.

Slut
10-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Heehee, this thread greatly amuses me.

I'd like more people to like Conor I suppose (Intelligent people) but I'd be more worried if Katie started loviing Him like that kid in the drugs thread who smoked pot to be able to give a valid opinion.

I love how you capatalized "him". It reminds me of the bible, then they talk about God "He" "Him" etc are always capatalized.

Maybe thats how you feel about Conor?

MattDaviesFFAF
10-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I love how you capatalized "him". It reminds me of the bible, then they talk about God "He" "Him" etc are always capatalized.

No, complete typo. Funny though.......

I really hate capitalizing words that aren't "I"

Slut
10-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean anything by that post btw. You said the thread amused you, so I thought I'd try to make it upset you.

MattDaviesFFAF
10-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean anything by that post btw. You said the thread amused you, so I thought I'd try to make it upset you.

I didn't think you did.

It only amuses me because people are trying to quash (is that a word) other people's opinions.

Slut
10-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Pfft. Bull. We Are Not. We're So Not. You're Wrong. Side With Me Now.

edit: Jeesh, I used caps lock and look what the forum did? Bad forum. Baad.

MattDaviesFFAF
10-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Ooh, Let Me Try That............

Does It Work?

Fine, You're Not Quashing People's Opinions.

EDIT: WOW.

ghettohippygrrl
10-23-2005, 04:46 PM

:haha It's all the damn Conor fans trying to convert the non-Conor fans! Gahh! :wtf: :p:

Anyway...
I agree that trying to change other people's opinions about stupid matters is, in fact, stupid. I similarly agree that chastising people for these opinions is equally stupid. I congruently feel that telling people which of these opinions are allowed to be shared where and when is equivalently stupid.

And...
I absolutely love this thread. :haha

dougiecrystals
10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't really care about hearing that other find Conor Oberst a compete dick, or that his music sucks. I've yet to meet someone in real life that doesn't think that about Oberst.

So other's opinions don't really bother me much...
Just annoying when you read/hear it 14651465165 times over.
Especailly if it's by the same person.

Anywus, God damn, Let's Not Shit Ourselves came on, and man, he shoulda made the I'm Wide Awake album more like this song.

ghettohippygrrl
10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Easy, don't read it then if its such a problem.

misty_b
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Is it just me or do some people hate Conor Oberst more than they love their favorite bands?? They probably spend more time on a message board talking about how much of a douche he is and trying to influence other's opinions than they actually spend playing their guitar or listening to music or doing homework or trying to make friends with people. I think someone's gonna have an Oberst Hating Hernia. It will be messy. :rolleyes:

dougiecrystals
10-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I did, I stopped reading at 14651465164

Anywus, I never really answered the question to the thread.

Why is there such a large Oberst following?

Well, christ, I thought we all knew, but in case you forgot, it's quite simply that everyone's into Bright Eyes for the fashion.

Seriously.

No really, it's easy to pick out Bright Eyes followers, just look for something on them that says Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst/etc..

Chances are, if they're a guy, they look like Oberst.
And if they're a girl, well.....they look like Oberst too.

Ask them what's their favourite song and they'll either say "Something Vague" or "First Day of My Life", depending how long they've been trying to pull off the scene look.

It's hard enough trying to find someone who doesn't think of Oberst as "omg, he's a gay emo faggot!"
But it's just more dissapointing when you find someone who sports a different Bright Eyes shrit each day (along with the black Bright Eyes Crosses hoodie), and you put on "Sunrise, Sunset" and she's like "leik omg, this is good song. i've never heard it before, who's it by?"

:confused:

ghettohippygrrl
10-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Is it just me or do some people hate Conor Oberst more than they love their favorite bands?? They probably spend more time on a message board talking about how much of a douche he is and trying to influence other's opinions than they actually spend playing their guitar or listening to music or doing homework or trying to make friends with people.
Misty B, well, that's assuming that you know how much someone: loves their favorite bands, hates Conor, spends time playing guitar, spends time listening to music, spends time doing their homework, spends time on a message board, spends time trying to make friends and intends to influence other people's opinions. So, yeah, it's just you.

misty_b
10-24-2005, 01:24 PM
bwahahahahaha. I wasn't talking about you. But since you replied, I guess you fit the profile perfectly and support my claim that people spend too much time putting others down.

ohdarn323
10-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow. A lot of close minded bitching in this thread. Mostly coming from ghettohippygrrl.

I'm a fan, but can only take so much of him at a time. And I don't like when people worship him. It's kind of overly prideful of me...because I dislike the "emo scene" so much, and so many "emo kids" adore Conor, I don't like to associate myself with him all too much. I'm really selfish when it comes to things like that. It's about the music, Tyler.

But I'd much rather listen to Mark Kozelek. Recently refell in love with him.

oh, and Dougiecrystals or whatever, pitchfork rules :P

An_anvil_tree
10-24-2005, 02:07 PM
His music doesn't appeal to me.

The end.

mr.joopy987
10-24-2005, 03:53 PM
I did, I stopped reading at 14651465164

Anywus, I never really answered the question to the thread.

Why is there such a large Oberst following?

Well, christ, I thought we all knew, but in case you forgot, it's quite simply that everyone's into Bright Eyes for the fashion.

Seriously.

No really, it's easy to pick out Bright Eyes followers, just look for something on them that says Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst/etc..

Chances are, if they're a guy, they look like Oberst.
And if they're a girl, well.....they look like Oberst too.

Ask them what's their favourite song and they'll either say "Something Vague" or "First Day of My Life", depending how long they've been trying to pull off the scene look.

It's hard enough trying to find someone who doesn't think of Oberst as "omg, he's a gay emo faggot!"
But it's just more dissapointing when you find someone who sports a different Bright Eyes shrit each day (along with the black Bright Eyes Crosses hoodie), and you put on "Sunrise, Sunset" and she's like "leik omg, this is good song. i've never heard it before, who's it by?"

:confused:

I know what you mean, but I've met quite a few real Bright Eyes fans who's favourite song is Something Vague.

ghettohippygrrl
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow. A lot of close minded bitching in this thread. Mostly coming from ghettohippygrrl.
To Conor fans, "close-minded" is apparently synonymous with "disagrees with me." How clever.

bat69420
10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
bwahahahahaha. I wasn't talking about you. But since you replied, I guess you fit the profile perfectly and support my claim that people spend too much time putting others down.
she didnt put u down u dripping kunt she cleverly stated her opinion.which is what you asked for

Edit: ok sorry for the wrongness didnt know u specifacaly asked someone u can flame, i wont fight you but...

the_astronaut
10-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Woah...5 pages of pure arguments.

Nice.

Anywho, I love Bright Eyes, Desa and Commander Venus.

Whatever that says about me, according to this thread...

bat69420
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
i never did understand why anyone would limit themselves to one band ie having all ur favs in sum way related to the same band.see my avatar?...ok now guess my favorite song.
nearly lost you,screaming trees. fav vocalist? billy corgan.guitar player?dimebag darrell.now i know YOU dont care (yes you) but all u bitter brighteyes guys need to get out more.explore a thrash thread, discuss a REAL punk band. u might find a band u never new u liked or a type of music u DONT hate.no really, explore.

the_astronaut
10-24-2005, 05:17 PM
^Are you talking to me?

They're linked because this is the Conor Oberst thread.

Assuming you aimed the rest of your post at everyone.

I'll say anyway that I listen to a lot of bands.

Not just those three I listed....

bat69420
10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
no sorry probably should have specified. i was talkin to all the bitter guys arguing

the_astronaut
10-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Ohhhkay, fair enough.

No worries.

:)

Slut
10-24-2005, 05:42 PM
i never did understand why anyone would limit themselves to one band ie having all ur favs in sum way related to the same band.see my avatar?...ok now guess my favorite song.
nearly lost you,screaming trees. fav vocalist? billy corgan.guitar player?dimebag darrell.now i know YOU dont care (yes you) but all u bitter brighteyes guys need to get out more.explore a thrash thread, discuss a REAL punk band. u might find a band u never new u liked or a type of music u DONT hate.no really, explore.

Seriously man, if you want ANYBODY to read what you type, proper grammar, spelling and punctuation would be nice. Your typing is to reading as Metallica is to music. Also known as: painfull.

i_strum_i_drum
10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
personally, i find conor to be a talented young boy who i appreciate not only for articulating feelings with such ease, but also for his ambitious nature in having the ability to create a new band with hardly any difficulty.

i respect the man. i do not understand how people can blindly combine liking and appreciation, all for a songwriter/band/whatever without even understanding or attempting to understand what they do or how they do it.
that is just shallow.

bat69420
10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Seriously man, if you want ANYBODY to read what you type, proper grammar, spelling and punctuation would be nice. Your typing is to reading as Metallica is to music. Also known as: painfull.
ok that WAS more clever than mean so ill give you that one, im just used to the 'new posts button' with all the button mashers so im still a little barbaric. Maybe ill just read up on sum really old threads. :peace:

xdespairfactor
10-24-2005, 06:53 PM
i think i've created a monster

ghettohippygrrl
10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
^ :haha This thread is pretty awesome, you have to admit. Who would've thought such a lame person would render such an amusing thread? :D

misty_b
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
she didnt put u down u dripping kunt she cleverly stated her opinion.which is what you asked for

Edit: ok sorry for the wrongness didnt know u specifacaly asked someone u can flame, i wont fight you but...

no no no no NO. I'm a dripping cunt not "kunt". That's the only thing I'll flame ya for. I'm afraid of getting into this hate-fest seeing as how I'm not too smart and I'll get owned on the internet which is obviously the most embarrassing thing in the world. Besides, can't we all just get a bong? :peace:

bat69420
10-24-2005, 07:39 PM
no no no no NO. I'm a dripping cunt not "kunt". That's the only thing I'll flame ya for. I'm afraid of getting into this hate-fest seeing as how I'm not too smart and I'll get owned on the internet which is obviously the most embarrassing thing in the world. Besides, can't we all just get a bong? :peace:
Wow, i didnt know you could bypass that.

;) :cheers:

ohdarn323
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
To Conor fans, "close-minded" is apparently synonymous with "disagrees with me." How clever.

If you would have read my post, you would have realized that I don't really think Conor is all that great. How about that.

You said he sucks. That's close-minded.

ghettohippygrrl
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
You said he sucks. That's close-minded.
:confused: Uhhhh. Did you read my posts at all? I said he sucks and I listed a ton of reasons why. It's not close-minded when you gave something a chance and then decided it sucks for a plethora of concrete reasons. :rolleyes: Try not to be an idiot next time you whine about me.

ohdarn323
10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
So now it's "his music sucks"? There's a difference.

ghettohippygrrl
10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
What? He sucks and so does his music. There.

(waits for it....)

":cry:"

bat69420
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
You people are evil geniuses,.. who own my soul.

:argue: + :stickpoke = :heart:

dougiecrystals
10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Elliott Smith's lyrics aren't fake even in the slightest. Conor is completely fake.

I never got what you meant by Oberst being fake..

Like what, he writes about stuff that hasn't happened to him or what?

Just wonderin'

martyr
10-25-2005, 05:29 PM
I never got what you meant by Oberst being fake..

Like what, he writes about stuff that hasn't happened to him or what?

Just wonderin'

I think she just mean him, in general, as a person and songwriter, which is a completely ignorant arguement. It's funny though, I mean how someone can interpret such sincere and passionate writing and singing as fake. It's alright though, she's a ghettohippy 'grrl'.

:p:

ghettohippygrrl
10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Um, I mean he exaggerates and makes up emotional sentiments for the sake of making songs more interesting. The only thing sincere about his music is how hard he tries to sound emotionally distraught.

the_astronaut
10-25-2005, 06:13 PM
How could you know that he exaggerates?

I'm not arguing.

I'm just intrigued like dougiecrystals up there.

dougiecrystals
10-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Okay, this is the third time I will be typing this.

Stupid UG freezing my comp.

Hopefully this post will actually post.

Anywus, I see what you're saying Katie but..

Hmm..well, like since when do authors have to write about stuff that's only happened to them, or feelings they have only felt?

And God damn Oberst for trying to make his music more interesting.

The way I see it is Oberst has this idea that he wants to communicate across effectively.
So what, he doesn't have a brother who died in a bathtub, the song is well done overall. It's entertaining which is what I guess I use music for, to entertain.

I think what you're trying to say is Oberst somehow has this gimmick.
Like the way he parades this appearance of being some emo depressed guy that way all the kids will be like "oMgz! lyK3 h3's s000 em0tion4l!!!12"

I won't deny that the image given off often resembles that.
But that's just the outside looking in.

I recommend listening to An Attempt to Tip the Scales. It talks about all this crap. Hardest part is just knowing he's being serious. :rolleyes:

Aka55
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
He's not fake on one basis only, he sings about getting hammered and passing out or being depressed. And live, he's hammered, depressed and almost passing out.

So he lives up to the songs completely.

ghettohippygrrl
10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I'll try to sum it up in one sentence for the sake of brevity: Conor is to some people what Simple Plan is to others. :haha (I think we all know what I mean when I mention Simple Plan...)

Final
10-26-2005, 12:56 AM
^W3rd. Simple Plan is teh pwnzorz. I think it's safe to say that everyone in these forums loves them.

martyr
10-26-2005, 06:53 PM
I love how seriously everyone takes Conor Obrest. Do you really believe he doesn't know what the music he's making is like, and how it could interpreted as solely pretentious? I mean to some extent he's sincere in that sarcastic way, and has a tone that supports it.

bat69420
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
I love how seriously everyone takes Conor Obrest. Do you really believe he doesn't know what the music he's making is like

Good point. But thats what annoys me about him. For example, hes called people drug addicts while he has, quite possibly, the single largest addiction to coke ever seen by the music industry.

True, I assure you.

chrus
10-27-2005, 04:05 AM
You guys are all arguying about nonsense. Like what the ****? just shut up and enjoy the songs. If you're not expectinng some image and actually listen to the song you should have nothing to worry about. If you don't like them, you shouldn;t have the time to think of such grand arguments against the band, and you should just add a stupid comment instead of arguing like the fool you are. goodang.

jallas
10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
^Exactly. I know he's a bit of a fuckwit and stuff, but in the end I don't really care because I enjoy his music a lot, and I'm not gonna stop listening to it because he's a tosser.

ghettohippygrrl
10-27-2005, 11:54 AM
If you don't like them, you shouldn;t have the time to think of such grand arguments against the band, and you should just add a stupid comment instead of arguing like the fool you are.
It's doesn't involve that much thought to know why you dislike like something. Just the ability to think and articulate yourself clearly. Maybe some people possess that more than others...

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
It's doesn't involve that much thought to know why you dislike like something.
Huh?

Again, not causing arguments, but with what you said in the second and third sentences...

Anyway on topic...I like him.

His music and all.

ghettohippygrrl
10-27-2005, 05:15 PM
^ Huh? He said it took time to make up arguments against Conor, making it sound like I sit around writing thesis statements on why Conor sucks. I'm saying, that's wrong -- it takes no time or effort at all to say what I said in this thread. If you have the ability to form your thoughts clearly and articulate them clearly, then arguing your point one way or another is easy and natural.

On topic: Conor sucks.

the_astronaut
10-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Don't worry, I get your point.

Ermmm, on topic..I love the song The Happiest Place On Earth.

Slut
10-27-2005, 06:51 PM
You guys are all arguying about nonsense. Like what the ****? just shut up and enjoy the songs. If you're not expectinng some image and actually listen to the song you should have nothing to worry about. If you don't like them, you shouldn;t have the time to think of such grand arguments against the band, and you should just add a stupid comment instead of arguing like the fool you are. goodang.

Try using paragraphs, it makes reading your statements much easier.

xdespairfactor
10-28-2005, 12:32 AM
this **** is ridiculous.

i've created the biggest political debate of all time.

onlyonehere
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I got to the end of the first page and really couldn't be bothered to read anymore.

I like Bright Eyes, I relate to some of the lyrics, his music makes me happy.

Is that wrong?

No, because it's an OPINION.

Jesus kids, calm the fook down and stop getting your pants in a twist.

Strange people.

BigFatSandwich
10-29-2005, 06:03 AM
this **** is ridiculous.

i've created the biggest political debate of all time.

We... WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!! </southparkreference>

Slut
10-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I got to the end of the first page and really couldn't be bothered to read anymore.

I like Bright Eyes, I relate to some of the lyrics, his music makes me happy.

Is that wrong?

No, because it's an OPINION.

Jesus kids, calm the fook down and stop getting your pants in a twist.

Strange people.

Okay, so you have your opinion. I have my opinion too. So does everyone else.

What we're doing is DISCUSSING our opinions with eachother. So if you don't like it don't read it, instead of telling us to "calm the fook down" (what the fuck does fook mean?) and "stop getting our pants in a twist"

martyr
10-29-2005, 03:18 PM
I JUST WANT TO BE LUV3D!!11111!shiftkey+one!11111

PunkRawk1224
10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
ghettohippygrrl is trying very hard to be rebellious, or maybe different would be a better word. she's trying to piss people off.
ghettohippygrrl, you are not superior to anyone. disliking a group does not make you cool, so stop acting as if it does.

Slut
10-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Boohoo. That's a pretty high stance you've taken. How dare someone be rebellious, you tell them how it is PunkRawk1224!!!! Someone with PunkRawk in their name should certainly be the one to tell someone not be rebellious!

Yeah, you go get em PunkRawk1224!!!!

ghettohippygrrl
10-30-2005, 12:31 AM
ghettohippygrrl is trying very hard to be rebellious, or maybe different would be a better word. she's trying to piss people off.
ghettohippygrrl, you are not superior to anyone. disliking a group does not make you cool, so stop acting as if it does.
I am so transparent, you caught me. I guess next time I want to be cool and rebellious, I will be sure to whine about how much Britney Spears and N'Sync suck instead...

I don't think there's anything rebellious about posting on a message board, genius -- it's called having an opinion and being able to back it up.

But ur so liek punx rox that maybe you can teach me how to be e-rebellious. PUNK RAWK ALL TEH WAY!!!!11

onlyonehere
10-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Okay, so you have your opinion. I have my opinion too. So does everyone else.

What we're doing is DISCUSSING our opinions with eachother. So if you don't like it don't read it, instead of telling us to "calm the fook down" (what the fuck does fook mean?) and "stop getting our pants in a twist"

No, you've passed the point of "discussion". A discussion is a literate, well-thought out debate between a proponent and an opponent of a motion.

Fook = fuck. It's all very Scottish.

:)

Final
10-30-2005, 06:56 AM
I JUST WANT TO BE LUV3D!!11111!shiftkey+one!11111

I love you. But I love Conor Oberst even more and anyone who doesn't love him is wrong about everything and will burn in hell because Conor Oberst is basically Jesus Christ. Minus the cross. Replaced with an acoustic guitar. But the nails are still there, but in his soul. I can feel them. Piercing. So are you kids still arguing about this worthless topic? Half of you hate him with a passion and half of you want to be gay with him, get over it. You're not going to change each others mind by arguing and whining about everything. I personally want to be gay with him, but I'd probably cheat on him with somebody better because he'd probably be an ass and treat me badly. That's so typical of Conor.:rolleyes:

Andrewbiles
10-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Will you lot just stop your stupid argument now?
Go into chat and have it or something, this thread wasn't made for it.

agreth_3rd
10-30-2005, 10:51 AM
I can't stand listening to Conor Oberst. I hate the shakiness of his voice. it's just impossible for me to get used to it.

PunkRawk1224
10-30-2005, 11:03 AM
my username is from the sixth grade. i dont care about it.

both of you have dragged out your arguements too long. just stop. we've realized that you don't like conor, thank God you reinforced it 30 times or i might not know that you dislike him yet.

dougiecrystals
10-30-2005, 11:33 AM
we've realized that you don't like conor, thank God you reinforced it 30 times or i might not know that you dislike him yet.
:haha :cheers: :haha :cheers: :haha :cheers: :haha

So, has anyone caught him in this recent past/current (is it over yet?) tour?

Slut
10-30-2005, 12:35 PM
my username is from the sixth grade. i dont care about it.

both of you have dragged out your arguements too long. just stop. we've realized that you don't like conor, thank God you reinforced it 30 times or i might not know that you dislike him yet.

Both of us? Hm, if I recall I have "argued" nothing. I stated my opinion and have since joked about my middle name and made fun of peoples grammar.

I haven't even said anything negative about Conor since page 4 of this thread, and that was just about his teeth.

The only reason Katie keeps replying with her opinion is because you all keep replying to her. It's not like you're all discussing how Conor is the next Ghandi and then she randomly pops in going "CONOR IS HITLLERRR"

She would probably drop the whole debate if you just ignored it. Seriously, how can your mind produce this:

"Oh man, I wish this argument would end so I can just discuss Conor in piece, better insult the people arguing by saying they repeat themselves!"

Are you insane?

PS - Andrew, I know how much you love to give out warnings just for heated debates

(Who knows why you gave me one last time me and Katie argued, I mean, God forbid there be anything but love and peace in this world. Who are you, John Lennon?)

but there are no rules being broken in this thread, so please, restrain yourself.

ghettohippygrrl
10-30-2005, 01:28 PM
we've realized that you don't like conor, thank God you reinforced it 30 times or i might not know that you dislike him yet.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that I said I don't like him one time, in ONE post, but then people kept whining and starting with me, thus forcing me to clarify my stance, and yes, reiterate myself.

Josh is exactly right. And all of you people are utterly retarded if you can't even see that. Here's a reminder:

The only reason Katie keeps replying with her opinion is because you all keep replying to her. It's not like you're all discussing how Conor is the next Ghandi and then she randomly pops in going "CONOR IS HITLLERRR"

She would probably drop the whole debate if you just ignored it. Seriously, how can your mind produce this:

"Oh man, I wish this argument would end so I can just discuss Conor in piece, better insult the people arguing by saying they repeat themselves!"

Are you insane?

Well, are you?

If you, PunkRawk, or anyone else have something to say about Conor, then say it. But instead, you'd rather make a fuss about how awesome I am at making my points and proving that Conor is a douche-bag. I thought you would've ignored me, but I appreciate the compliment.

I myself am pretty tired of this lame bickering. I enjoy debating, but you guys just whine. I stopped saying things a while ago until idiots started calling me a rebel and a ****-stirrer and dumb and other nonsense. I laugh! Ha-ha.

Andrewbiles
10-30-2005, 01:49 PM
PS - Andrew, I know how much you love to give out warnings just for heated debates

(Who knows why you gave me one last time me and Katie argued, I mean, God forbid there be anything but love and peace in this world. Who are you, John Lennon?)

but there are no rules being broken in this thread, so please, restrain yourself.

Why did I give you one before? Because you were just insulting her the whole time rather than actually arguing about something. There's debating and then there's insulting, two completely different things in my book.
The problem is that people can't seem to take opinions as opinions on here and end up turning them into arguments over people rather than the topic.

Slut
10-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Why did I give you one before? Because you were just insulting her the whole time rather than actually arguing about something. There's debating and then there's insulting, two completely different things in my book.
The problem is that people can't seem to take opinions as opinions on here and end up turning them into arguments over people rather than the topic.

There is no rule on the site saying you can't insult somebody. Otherwise everybody who posts in the only politcs thread would probably be banned.

While I respect the position you've achieved on this website, I still disagree with your "quit arguing, this isnt what the thread is for" post.

The thread poster asked why Conor has a cult following. Katie replied saying she didn't know why and listed reasons why she doesn't like him.

Then Aka55 came in and started arguing with Katie. If anyone needs to be told to quit arguing, it's him.

chrus
10-30-2005, 08:55 PM
There is no rule on the site saying you can't insult somebody. Otherwise everybody who posts in the only politcs thread would probably be banned.

While I respect the position you've achieved on this website, I still disagree with your "quit arguing, this isnt what the thread is for" post.

The thread poster asked why Conor has a cult following. Katie replied saying she didn't know why and listed reasons why she doesn't like him.

Then Aka55 came in and started arguing with Katie. If anyone needs to be told to quit arguing, it's him.
Scapegoat.

Alarming Carrot
10-31-2005, 01:14 PM
My opinon on an already flogged horse:

A couple years ago a co-worker of mine raved about how great this guy Bright Eyes was. I had heard of him but didn't seem interested in his music as I was already aware of his image. This co-worker had a taste in music I held in a sort of elevated regard so I bought "Lifted..." It sucked, the worst tripe I had ever heard in my life. I tried to like it but couldn't listen to any other song besides the last one and track no. 6. I thought it might have been an off album for him so I went and bought "Fevors and Mirrors." After trying(quite hard, I might add) to like that one I came to the conclusion that Bright Eyes sucks. The name is corney, the emotion sounds like the fakest tripe I've ever heard, his voice pisses me off, and Dylan comparisons really piss me off. Dylan wrote songs that meant something to a somewhat intelligent generation not a bunch of 14 yr. olds with half-shaven heads. By the way, don't try to argue with me, it has been made arbitrary that Conor Oberst sucks and no supportive argument will be allowed henceforth.

onlyonehere
11-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Conor Oberst = Marmite

necro_wizard
11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm definetly the most ridicuulously stupid looking person ever

the_astronaut
11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm definetly the most ridicuulously stupid looking person ever
How many accounts have you made now?

Andrewbiles
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
*In the style of those Ferero Roche adverts*

Ooh, necro_wizard you are boring us.

slashh
11-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Oberst is a genius with lyrics, and he's got a great voice, and so has the girl in Bright eyes... emmoleigh harris or something, she has the one of the best voices ive ever heard.
Bright eyes are superb, i love them.
Hu's this other band he's in?

ghettohippygrrl
11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
:haha

Slut
11-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Emo-Lou-Hairless.

teehee.

mr.joopy987
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Oberst is a genius with lyrics, and he's got a great voice, and so has the girl in Bright eyes... emmoleigh harris or something, she has the one of the best voices ive ever heard.
Bright eyes are superb, i love them.
Hu's this other band he's in?

Desaparacedos?

And Emmylou Harris is a music legend, not "the girl in bright eyes". The only set member of the the band is Conor anyways.

EmO_RuleZ!!
11-10-2005, 10:53 PM
And Mike Mogis, whom everyone forgets.

DrunkidCatholic
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
In my view Connor oberst is a genius. His lyrics are like no others, theres just soemthing about them. And i love his tunes just purely as songs too. I also love his unique voice
But ths just my opinion, i can see why some people might not like him as much

jallas
11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Woah the last psot on here before that was almost a year ago.

ps. I love andrew and jon more than conor.

IndieMetalhead
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
UBER bump :eek:

and i still need to buy that BE cd :grrr:

Dirk Gently
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
you look different in black, Jallas :p: It suits you, though.

jallas
11-06-2006, 05:54 PM
i feel kind of naked without the greenness.

IndieMetalhead
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
hang on...

demodded? since when?

[/offtopic]

Dirk Gently
11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
i feel kind of naked without the greenness.
Like I said, it suits you ;)

STRAT811
11-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I love the lyrics and songwriting, and I like his voice even though it sucks. He's just a super-creative guy in general. So, yes. I am a Conor Oberst fanboy.

thyme
11-07-2006, 02:47 PM
hard to like if you don't start with i'm wide awake cos it's the most geared for the mainstream i think.
but after that get more of his albums and you'll probably fall in love with his music unless you're someone who hates the idea of emo without reason or just genuinely doesn't like his music that that much (which is ok)

sydbarrettsaves
11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
ummm i have two full length albums that conor recorded when he was around eleven or so. they're pretty hard to find so if anyone wants i'll upload and trade.

i've got:
here's to special treatment
water

thyme
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
ooosh i want that so bad. i found a place with everything cnor as ever done but i can't get any of the downloads to work :(. but i don't know what i have that you'd like to trade. any particular requests?

dougiecrystals
11-07-2006, 07:14 PM
ooosh i want that so bad. i found a place with everything cnor as ever done but i can't get any of the downloads to work :(. but i don't know what i have that you'd like to trade. any particular requests?

If I can find the links again, I'll give them to you.

thyme
11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
yes please:)

STRAT811
11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I would love to be in on that.

sydbarrettsaves
11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
well pm me if you want the young conor albums. if you go to the recordnerd.com link in my sig, take a look at my want list and we can orchestrate a trade. i wouldn't mind trading missing albums from artists i have as well.

Neely
11-09-2006, 01:44 AM
If I can find the links again, I'll give them to you.

I'd love the links too please if you wouldn't mind :D

Two.
11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
The new album's about telepathy, the apocalypse, and...lemon trees? Can't wait.

STRAT811
11-13-2006, 06:28 PM
The only reasons I could see someone not liking Conor (besides just not being a fan of the music), is that his lyrics, while being very good, overflow with pretension, as well as wanting to stay away from the whole following he has. Almost like it's uncool to like him. But whatever.

^^^Thanks for the files.

brighteyes577
01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
"Bright Eyes is the Taking Back Sunday of Indie."

Then what is Taking Back Sunday in the Indie scene...?
oh excuse me they're not indie anymore, but they were on their first cd, right?

you guys and your "indie" talk rofl.

also, bright eyes certainly is not the tbs of indie,
i think lots more people like tbs because tbs is much more likeable.
dont get me wrong im obv (from my name) a conor fan,
but watching you guys bickering over him just makes me ashamed xD

WhereArtEsteban
01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I recently found out how much I like Cassadaga. I thought it was so meh when it came out and then about a week and a half ago I relistened to it and couldn't remember what I disliked about it. The only songs I'm not really into are "Middle Man" and "Coat Check Dream Song" I loved the solo record too. Saw him live in October (I think) and it was tons of fun.

Yeah about it not being cool to like to Bright Eyes thats very true, when I start bursting into song (like I do so often) someone'll ask, "who's that?" and when I reply, "Bright Eyes" they laugh and act all above me and ****....Damn hipsters.

How is one supposed to explain they're liking of any band??? When something connects it connects and thats it...

ohhey9040
01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
It's wierd. It seems like the planets should be aligning for me to be a huge Conor/Bright Eyes fan and while I like him somewhat, for some reason I can't get really into him. I mean seriously, I'm connected to him in so many ways it's not even funny. Among them:

- I live in the same city he did/does (Omaha), he bought a new house recently that's around a 10-15 minute drive from my house and Saddle Creek Records is named after one of our streets
- 3 of my friends are HUGE Conor fans
- I go to the same high school he did
- My theology teacher from last semester's brother played with him quite frequently when he initially started out
- Conor's uncle coached my 7th and 8th grade basketball teams as well as many of my little sister's sports teams

Not to mention the fact that I saw him live (although I waited about 5 hours and it was pissing down rain from the start of his set all the way through, but that's another story). But for whatever reason, I have yet to really get into him. Although Cassadaga is starting to grow on me, so you never know.

NGD1313
01-21-2009, 10:54 PM
"Bright Eyes is the Taking Back Sunday of Indie."

Then what is Taking Back Sunday in the Indie scene...?
oh excuse me they're not indie anymore, but they were on their first cd, right?

you guys and your "indie" talk rofl.

also, bright eyes certainly is not the tbs of indie,
i think lots more people like tbs because tbs is much more likeable.
dont get me wrong im obv (from my name) a conor fan,
but watching you guys bickering over him just makes me ashamed xD

whoa, nice bump to address a guy who probably doesn't even post anymore.

WhereArtEsteban
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
- I go to the same high school he did

He went to a Jesuit school right? That's what a friend told me, I bring it up because I go to one in Dallas.... For some reason I'm interested.

ohhey9040
01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
^Yep, Creighton Prep. From what I've heard he didn't exactly have the best time there, with it being an all guys school focused on athletics (despite our excellent band program). I've heard he wasn't treated all that well and was made fun of pretty regularly, but I can't really say.

brighteyes577
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
whoa, nice bump to address a guy who probably doesn't even post anymore.

pretty pathetic that you keep track of when people do and don't post on the conor oberst thread on ultimate guitar.

do you have a life?

i happened upon this thread when i was searching for a song and i saw that post so i replied to it. sorry if i didnt check the date, i just dont give a ****

Guitarist132
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I only really like him because of fevers and mirrors

Le_Bunny
01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I love his work... mostly for the poetic lyrics as at least the Bright Eyes songs are very simple musically. But he makes it work!

WhereArtEsteban
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
^Yep, Creighton Prep. From what I've heard he didn't exactly have the best time there, with it being an all guys school focused on athletics (despite our excellent band program). I've heard he wasn't treated all that well and was made fun of pretty regularly, but I can't really say.
Yep. Sounds like my school too lol. Bunch of douche bags. But I have enough friends that agree with me so it isn't too bad.

NGD1313
01-23-2009, 12:41 AM
pretty pathetic that you keep track of when people do and don't post on the conor oberst thread on ultimate guitar.

do you have a life?

i happened upon this thread when i was searching for a song and i saw that post so i replied to it. sorry if i didnt check the date, i just dont give a ****

slow your pistons, internet tough guy, date pretty much goes in front of every post, pretty useless to try and refute a guy on an opinion he gave two years ago, who will never see what you have to say anyway.