Most Under-rated guitarist of all time?

PDA

View Full Version : Most Under-rated guitarist of all time?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Bostonrocks
01-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Tom Scholz. He's quite good. Bet half you don't even know who he is huh. But he is one of the most melodic guitar players of all time and his songwriting ain't to shabby.

ibanez-bitch
01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Chris Cheney (The Living End)

Damascus
01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Robby Kreiger, of The Doors for those who don't know.

He wrote "Light My Fire", "Touch Me", "Love Her Madly" (for example), and if you get into to seriously listening to the Doors - his parts are easy to miss with casual listening, what with another prominent melody instrument in the band - you notice how bloody fantastic he was.

Has he been mentioned yet? I really couldn't be bothered with 26 pages...

Patrick L
01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Neal Schon

midnight ride
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Tommy Shaw and/or Jy of Styx

Rocker_94
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
EVH=tapper
tapping=not that hard/overrated

I have to say I agree. Tapping sounds wicked, because the speed of the notes coming and coming. When many people hear a solo with alot of tapping, they think the guitarist's fingers are crazy fast and that it's just wicked. But, us guitarists know that's not the case.

To the guy saying that Malcolm Young being underrated is false, I agree with you too on some points. I'm a big AC/DC fan too, and I agree that he doesen't do anything while in AC/DC. It's like ugh! What a transaction! B to A to E and A again! But, I've heard Angus saying that Malcolm is the better guitarist of the two in interviews and stuff. That way, he's underrated, because we don't really know what he can do.

logan141
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Mike Bloomfield, Frank Zappa, Peter Green!!!!

mrbrownstone25
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Izzy stradlin from guns n roses !!!!!!!

fukn usernames!
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
A guitarist that never seems to be talked about is Andy Powel of Wishbone Ash. Not exactly a flash player or popular band for that matter but always thought Powel possessed one of the finest tonal qualities in a lot of his work and always brilliant melodies and harmonies too. Hugely under-rated imo.

dr.feel good
01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Rory Gallagher

Aplanken
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Robby Kreiger, of The Doors for those who don't know.

He wrote "Light My Fire", "Touch Me", "Love Her Madly" (for example), and if you get into to seriously listening to the Doors - his parts are easy to miss with casual listening, what with another prominent melody instrument in the band - you notice how bloody fantastic he was.

Has he been mentioned yet? I really couldn't be bothered with 26 pages...

and what made Light My Fire a big hit? THE SYTNH!!! Ray Manzarek wrote that.

Underrated guitarist (and it really hurts, 'cuz he's the one with the greatest sound)

ROBIN TROWER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R5Yh4HY9k

Walkin'Basser
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Alex Lifeson.

thealchemist559
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I got to go with Jeff Martin, Many of you dont know who he is.

EddieCraig
01-12-2008, 02:31 AM
D Boon
(for those of you uneducated on awesomeness he was guitarist in the minutemen and wrote the theme song to jackass

miki_ramone
01-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Some of you has said that Eddy Van Halen is OVERRATED, and that tapping is not so hard, but DID YOU DISCOVERED TAPPING? No you didn't, because Eddy discovered it and that's the reason why he's one of the best guitar players- he is not overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYNARD
01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Some of you has said that Eddy Van Halen is OVERRATED, and that tapping is not so hard, but DID YOU DISCOVERED TAPPING? No you didn't, because Eddy discovered it and that's the reason why he's one of the best guitar players- he is not overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie was definitely not the one to discover tapping. I can't remember who it was, but I remember readin an interview with Ed and he go the idea at some show he went to. He definitely made it mainstream, though, and can be blamed for tons and tons of horrible, horrible music as a result.

I bet alotta the techniques that shredders use can be traced back to players like Django Reinhart(sp?) Not necessarily a fan of his, but if you think it's impressive what Tony Iommi can do with his handicap, you would prolly explode with awe at what Django can do with his.

ewp805
01-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Probably Robert Fripp or Martin Barre.

dribble
01-13-2008, 05:00 AM
underrated=billy gibbons, his riffs are amazing and catchy

agreed.

Flying Couch
01-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Alex Lifeson from Rush is a god.

Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser and Eric Bloom from Blue Oyster Cult never get attention.

Tom Scholz. He's quite good. Bet half you don't even know who he is huh. But he is one of the most melodic guitar players of all time and his songwriting ain't to shabby.

The solo from the end of "Hitch a Ride" and the guitar duet in "Peace of Mind" ought to be required listening.

Neal Schon, Izzy Stradlin, Ted Nugent, and Malcolm Young also never get any love.

To the guy saying that Malcolm Young being underrated is false, I agree with you too on some points. I'm a big AC/DC fan too, and I agree that he doesen't do anything while in AC/DC. It's like ugh! What a transaction! B to A to E and A again! But, I've heard Angus saying that Malcolm is the better guitarist of the two in interviews and stuff. That way, he's underrated, because we don't really know what he can do.

Does it matter? Maybe three chords in a song is all he needs.

sheumack111
01-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Ritchie Blackmore. /thread

Robbie Kreiger as 2nd choice.

Hitmanblack
01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Steve Morse is pretty underrated for how well he does everything. But in all honesty music is 100% personal preference and what chord sounds crap to one may sound beautiful to another. So we're all going to find different "underrated" guitarists. I've seen plently of guitars in just bar bands that could tear one like Jimmy or play the blues like Stevie Ray vaughn. Nowaways the record labels won't let any half-assed true musicians into the studio cause they want to control the artists, not let the artists control them.

Robbie Kreiger as 2nd choice.
Yea Kreiger was great but I mean he didn't do anything revolutionary. He's a favorite to me just because he can get a perfect shamanistic tone while stick being able to rock and roll.

Zhuey
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Izzy stradlin from guns n roses !!!!!!!

+1, nobody even cares about him compared to slash

chillrock
01-13-2008, 05:03 PM
yea, tapping isnt hard for you and me because we just copy off EVH or anyone else who taps (although i rarely use tapping techniques)

remember something: EVH invented tapping

you know all those really easy but famous songs you know how to play? well, someone had to come up with them. you and i just play them.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd have to say probably eddy van halen or stevie ray vaughn
(for the real music people, we know they were amazing)

or, if another give some proof and evidence....

discuss...
even non music people rate EVH as one of the best. SRV on the other hand may not be as known as EVH but he isnt underrated.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
yea, tapping isnt hard for you and me because we just copy off EVH or anyone else who taps (although i rarely use tapping techniques)

you know all those really easy but famous songs you know how to play? well, someone had to come up with them. you and i just play them.
actually, he didnt. he made it popular but he didnt invent it.

sheumack111
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

:eek:

You mean EVH was around before all those 18th/19th century violin and guitarists tapping away on his "Frankenstrat"??? :rolleyes:

Cptbeefheart
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
^Exactly, two-handed tapping was popularized by Emmett Chapman, inventor of the Chapman Stick, in the 60's.

BOC15
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
How can anyone say that EVH is underrated, hes one of the best out there, no question.

Altough i think that Donald Roesor of the Blue Oyster Cult is the most underrated guitarist, had some of the best riffs made and you rarely hear any recignition towards him or the BOC even. Not only is Roeser underrated, but also Alex Lifeson from Rush, all that needs to be said.

Hitmanblack
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd probably have to say myself.

JColeman7
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Malcom Young(AC/DC) is way underrated.

rosamamosa
01-14-2008, 12:09 AM
robby kreiger

Hitmanblack
01-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Bill Gates is pretty underrated. Everyone just knows him for Windows.

Hultan
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I actually have to say Jimi Hendrix.
People outside of this forum in my age (20-ish) doesn't even know who the **** he is.

Nugi
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
JJ Cale

redstrat8
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Rory Gallagher

redstrat8
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Jimmie Webster Was One Of The First Tappers.damn Guitar Players Was Doing It The 60's.damn Does Everyone Thing Evh Invented It.anyone On Here Older Than 15 Years Old.geez.paul Mccartney Was In Band Before Wings Ha Ha So Was Ozzy Osbourne Ha Ha .now Do Your Homework And Play Your Videos Games.

MAYNARD
01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Malcom Young(AC/DC) is way underrated.

No he's not. He just plays beginner material.

ElectricMammal
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Paul Kossoff is underrated.
I was just about to say that. Either him, Alex Lifeson, or David Gilmore. It seems like both of them are just there for the guitar part, and they don't really get the credit they deserve. How about Ted Nugent?

Lowell George is painfully underrated. If anyone even knows who he is (without googling him) then I love you

From Little Feat? He's one of my favorites, but he's really underrated.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Rory Gallagher
i think ill agree with that. he was great but i never hear a lot about him.

MAYNARD
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I was just about to say that. Either him, Alex Lifeson, or David Gilmore. It seems like both of them are just there for the guitar part, and they don't really get the credit they deserve. How about Ted Nugent?

From Little Feat? He's one of my favorites, but he's really underrated.

Gilmour underrated?? I always hear him talked about highly, and he and his solos always rate high on the lists.

Lowell George is from Little Feat, only know that b/c it gets mentioned on a Black Crowes dvd I have, then they play Rollum Easy, which is a pretty kickass tune. '

What is a good Little Feat album to get?

Speakin of the the Crowes..... Maybe I mentioned some of them before, but every one of their guitarists is underrated.

Snipergoat UK
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Frank Zappa.

Hitmanblack
01-16-2008, 04:02 AM
frank zappa was huge, specially in england. I dunno I see alot of amazing guitarists on youtube. Theres too many underrated guitarists nowadays. But Most under-rated of ALL TIME. So who owns hard but no ones really noticed?

Bron-Yr-Aur-ESP
01-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Richard Thompson,John Martyn,Steve Howe and Alex Lifeson

studer
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Crazy what a wide range of guitarists you get on this thread. In my eyes, there is such a HUGE window of underrated guitarists. As far as Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton etc. These guys are mentioned on every guitar forum in the world.....so in my eyes, not underrated!!!

Underrated list (quite long)

-Lowell George (Little Feat)
-Robbie Krieger
-Robbie Robertson
-Stephen Stills
-Jeff Beck
-Johnny Winter
-Duane Allman
-Derek Trucks
-Warren Haynes
-Alan Wilson (Canned Heat)
-Ronnie Wood
-Tommy Bolin
-Steve Gaines (Skynyrd)
-Allen Collins (Skynyrd)
-Gary Rossington (Skynyrd)
-Jerry Garcia
-Lindsey Buckingham
-Dave Mason
-Steve Winwood

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON............

Maxbulldog
01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
i think the most underrated guitarist is Alex Lifeson

studer
01-18-2008, 02:02 AM
AND HOW IN THE "F" DID I FORGET JJ CALE??????? Just threw on one of his vinyl's ("Natrually" The Album from 1971) and it hit me for the millionth time......what a great guitarist/vocalist/songwriter/MUSICIAN!!!

marvelboy_04
01-18-2008, 07:01 PM
charlie christian, duhh the first

i bet half you guys dont even know who he is
jazz guitarist. (my great uncle is a huge jazz buff)

but for my vote it would be brad whitford of aerosmith

aig91
01-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Paul Kossoff and George Harrison are underrated too.

lpage2112
01-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I'd have to agree with Duane Allman, Warran Haynes and Derek Trucks, but also add Dickie Betts to that list. These guys are unreal guitarists who improvise free form jazz influence solos for sometimes more than 20 minutes on stage. Their talents are unparalleled and they receive no praise for some of the amazing music they created. Duane Allman alone is rated #2 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists of all time but never receives the credit he deserves. If it wasn't for him and the rest of the band Southern music wouldn't be what it is today, and we wouldn't have Layla.

Hitmanblack
01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Ry Cooder

I am the Drake
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Neither E.V.H. or S.R.V. are underrated. Anyway you wanna talk about underrated? Try Frank Marino. Nobody knows who he is and he's the best guitar player that I've ever seen live. You guys should check him out. Make sure that it's a live album though.

AmIEvil?
01-21-2008, 08:05 AM
michalel romeo of symphony x. Im not sure if hes that underrated but i think he has one of the best chops in metal guitar and the stuff he has composed for symphony x is amazing. And if you compare his guitar work / composing skills with likes of yngwie malsteen (somewhat same style of music) for example michael romeo wins 10-0.

another one is robby kireger of the doors. One of my favorites, and the choice of notes he plays.. whee :D

Hitmanblack
01-22-2008, 03:58 AM
robby krieger i think. got to love guitarist hair....

Rockabilly_Cat
01-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Brian Setzer, i mean he's a ******* GOD on guitar! Some of you who like "Stray Cats" Know of him, but he's not getting the respect he should get, as one of the best guitarists out there.

CrimsonMoon
01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
^totally agree about Brian Setzer.

Erm i dont think Gary Moore gets as much credit as some of equal or lesser ablilty and flair. Basically the reason I got into blues!

studer
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Neither E.V.H. or S.R.V. are underrated. Anyway you wanna talk about underrated? Try Frank Marino. Nobody knows who he is and he's the best guitar player that I've ever seen live. You guys should check him out. Make sure that it's a live album though.

Mahogony Rush!!!! What a great band!! I agree with the live album too. Marino does some amazing stuff on his axe along with some Jimi covers too.......I would encourage anyone to check them out!! Nice call on Frank Marino......UNDERRATED INDEED

Ramblin'_Man
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd have to agree with Duane Allman, Warran Haynes and Derek Trucks, but also add Dickie Betts to that list. These guys are unreal guitarists who improvise free form jazz influence solos for sometimes more than 20 minutes on stage. Their talents are unparalleled and they receive no praise for some of the amazing music they created. Duane Allman alone is rated #2 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists of all time but never receives the credit he deserves. If it wasn't for him and the rest of the band Southern music wouldn't be what it is today, and we wouldn't have Layla.

:cheers:

Strider123
01-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Most underrated guitarist has to be: Gary Moore

MockingbirdGirl
01-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Hmmmm.
I guess I'd have to say Dean DeLeo & Hillel Slovak.
I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet. Which is kinda sad. D:

Sly Taco
01-31-2008, 01:34 AM

Fly on Skydog!!!!!!

Wulver
01-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Jeff Beck. Doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves.

rosamamosa
01-31-2008, 01:43 AM
jorma kaukonen. +1 if you know who he is

Punx&Skunx
02-02-2008, 12:31 PM
jorma kaukonen. +1 if you know who he is

As in Hot Tuna's Jorma Kaukonen? I saw them at Bonnaroo last year.

I dont think George Harrison gets enough credit for being in the Beatles. Although i dont think he is the most-under-rated guitarist of all time.

master
02-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Has Michael Schenker been mentioned yet? He along with his band UFO are totally underrated. He was in the Scorpions as well.

batalheiro
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Nick Valensi.

Fuzzbox91
02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Marty Friedman-Megadeth (i think this has to do with that hes a pretty quite guy and doesnt ***** himself out like Zakk Wlyde)

Robert Krieger -the Doors (**** the keyboard solo, listen to his solo on Light my Fire.)

Martin Barre-Jethro Tull (the electric gutiar behind jethro tull, listen to his solo in Aqualung)

Johhn Frusciante- RHCP (many people cant get past RHCPs poppy sound to listen to his work)

Whoever plays guitar for Alice Cooper -writes some great riffs

Supernaut2k
02-03-2008, 06:12 PM
jeff beck and ritchie blackmore.

i cant believe people are saying froosh

Ramblin'_Man
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker Band definately has to be mentioned too, I don't think I've ever seen him mentioned here on ug, but he's great.

Carswell98
02-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Paul McCartney

he was much better than George (in the beginning at least)

SmellyGonorrhea
02-05-2008, 04:37 AM

discuss...

uh.... EVH and SRV are two of the most respected and highly regarded guitarists of all time. are you kidding me? in every issue of every guitar magazine, evh and srv are inevitably mentioned.

SmellyGonorrhea
02-05-2008, 04:40 AM
I actually have to say Jimi Hendrix.
People outside of this forum in my age (20-ish) doesn't even know who the **** he is.

riiiiight. jimi hendrix is just SO unappreciated. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KoolBeans
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Id say Izzy Stradlin is pretty under rated. He made some immense riffs for Guns. Must have just been the shadow cast by the immortal Slash.

Korzack
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Well true. I never rated much of Gilby Clarke as well...
I'd say Phil Campbell of Motorhead is pretty damn underrated - the guy can do some insane stuff

TDMize15
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I'll second Paul McCartney...

Listen to the solo in "Taxman", or "Drive My Car", "Maybe I'm Amazed", "House of Wax", "The End"... or the acoustic work on "Blackbird", "Yesterday", etc.

More well known for other aspects, but his guitar playing is quite formidable as well.

fireoptic
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Robin Trower is incredible, and alot of people don't even know who he is!

Highbinder
02-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Sh*t, I'd have to say Robby Krieger. The master of electric guitar finger playing.

the_axis
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
robbie krieger's, he has one of the most unique styles i've heard

alex lifeson of rush is kinda underrated too. mainly cuz peart and lee overshadow him

and ooh, who's the guitarist for steppenwolf? john kay or somethin? i dunno, but he's underrated. that whole band's underrated

Epibird
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, SRV is a little underated for the talent he had but hey, he died, could you blame him for staying out of the public eye?

Also Eddy can play but Van Halen was terrible as far as lyrics.

KoolBeans
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Well true. I never rated much of Gilby Clarke as well...
I'd say Phil Campbell of Motorhead is pretty damn underrated - the guy can do some insane stuff

Forgot about Campbell, your definitely right there hes quality. :)

nipher
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
andy powell of wishbone ash is the most underrated guitarist EVER!!! he pioneered twin lead guitars influencing thin lizzy and iron maiden. without andy powell and wishbone ash, there would be no iron maiden. i saw wishbone ash in december of 07, and they were amazing. even at like 50-60ish, andy powell still plays a mean guitar. check out their album "argus"

Myou249
02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Alex Lifeson is underrated, but seems to be getting more recognition lately.

baylewis
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Has someone mentioned Toni Iomi of Black Sabbath!
I saw that Rolling Stone magazine listed him as 80 something in the list of top 100 guitarists of all time. Thats Ridiculous. This is the guy who gave us iron man, war pigs, sabbath bloody sabbath, children of the grave. And now, he is with Heaven and Hell, and just as good as he was in the seventies.
Definately underated

therussian
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, the whole Rolling Stone list is ridiculous.

Ramblin'_Man
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
the only thing i was happy about was Duane Allman and Robert Johnson and some bluesmen were recognized same w/ Jerry Garcia because they never get credit, but that was rediculous. wasn't Kurt cobain 13? hahaha i mean its arguable that he is a quality songwriter but greatest guitarist?!?!?!?!

littledude65
02-12-2008, 06:21 PM

I agree. Most people who are on there deserve to be on there, but the order is stupid.

baylewis
02-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Wasn't rather biased to americans rather than the british guitarists (toni iommi is a case in point). Thats what i heard anyway.

baylewis
02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
the only thing i was happy about was Duane Allman and Robert Johnson and some bluesmen were recognized same w/ Jerry Garcia because they never get credit, but that was rediculous. wasn't Kurt cobain 13? hahaha i mean its arguable that he is a quality songwriter but greatest guitarist?!?!?!?!

Exactly kurt cobain cannot be labbelled a good guitarist. Most of his songs are power chordal, nothing special. If they are chosing power chordal giants where is noodles from the offspring!

therussian
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

Here's the list, if you haven't seen it

Gurana
02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Richie Sambora and both Dave Sabo and Scott Hill From Skid Row are awsome guitarist. Just too bad theyve never got the attention they nedded. Allthough there are so many truely great underrated guitarists out there.

TexasMedicine
02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
duane allman, bb king and mike bloomfield

king_harvest88
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
ok, some guitarists i reckon are underrated:

Luther Grosvenor of Spooky Tooth

Steve Gaines of lynyrd skynyrd

Steve Hillage of Gong

Jimmy Herring of aquarium rescue unit

Olly Halsall of Patto

Derek Trucks of the allman bros and DTB

Hideki Ishima of Flower Travellin' band

Richard thompson of fairport convention

the geezer from horslips whos name i cant remember

Marc Ribot from Tom Waits band

Nels Cline from wilco

Jimmy94
02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
oh yeah... and who was that then?

Spirit's song Taurus

Peter Hayes
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
George Harrison, John and Paul always overshadowed him, and then Clapton stole his wife.

good times.

Not true!

Strato87
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM
john lennon.john frusciante.

Nuff said

jakethesnakeLP
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Robby krieger and keith Richards

Peter Hayes
02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Strange definition of "underrated." I mean if they are in the Rolling Stone Top 100 or have sold 100 million albums that suggests that someone has rated them.

Rory Gallagher (Never got the limelight his large talent deserved. RIP.)
Steve Howe (maybe the first tapper?)
Peter Green (best teen guitarist I have ever heard.)
Stuart Adamson (Inventor of bagpipe rock - RIP)
Johnny Marr (Smiths fairydust merchant)

David_Bowie=GOD
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I would have to say Travis Stever and Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. Id also say Mick Ronson and Tom Morello... I dont care what anyone says, they are all better guitarists than Slash because slash can play very well but he hasnt done anything new for guitar like the before mentioned names.

Blake99
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Dude i agree on Alvin lee and EVH and SRV all over rated
there all great for different reasons Alvin and stevie were blues guys that i look up to and not alot of others do

GM 103
02-16-2008, 06:43 AM
rory gallagher :down: :down:

linkinwayne
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Derek Trucks

NGMF-Sam
02-16-2008, 01:08 PM
EVH best guitarist in the world

tapping doesnt make him that

so cry

ZZTOP ABB JWD3
03-17-2008, 11:28 PM
underrated=billy gibbons, his riffs are amazing and catchy

Thank you billy gibbons is very underatted, i think because ZZ Top screws around so much that nobody takes them seriouslly.

to add to this i think Johnny Winter is also very underrated, kind of in the Blues/rock genre with billy gibbons

Sunny Afternoon
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike Bloomfield.

"who?"

metallicaPOOS
03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Mick Mars of Motley Crue

slann101
03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
nah, ryan roxie. of dads porno mag and roxie 77

Skirvy
03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Robby Krieger of the Doors.
+93737193748

talia.
03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
^ :haha i must agree as well.

actually Adam Jones is really one of the least appreciated guitarists, generally because what he does is considered simple. but he's incredibly creative, and sounds amazing.

old, but i agree 100%

i also think that Dan Jacobs from Atreyu is pretty damn talented.

Pork Soda
03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Underated:

Larry LaLonde
Frank Zappa
Warren Haynes

Sly Taco
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Underated:

Larry LaLonde
Frank Zappa
Warren Haynes

Totally agree with Frank and Warren. Frank was a genius, and Warren gets overshadowed by D. Trucks in the ABB.

Pork Soda
03-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Totally agree with Frank and Warren. Frank was a genius, and Warren gets overshadowed by D. Trucks in the ABB.
Yeah, Warren's Gov't Mule stuff is awesome.

He's just got great taste of the notes that he chooses on his solos. He uses some pretty odd tunings on High and Mighty as well.

linkrevolver
03-20-2008, 02:17 AM

discuss...

what?? are u marihuano?? eveyone knows they are great

i think its kim tahyl

Sly Taco
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, Warren's Gov't Mule stuff is awesome.

He's just got great taste of the notes that he chooses on his solos. He uses some pretty odd tunings on High and Mighty as well.

Yea bro, the Mule is awesome. I think he's in open D on Like Flies and Better Days. Some Eb and D as well as standard too. They are fantastic live, go see them if you havent.

Ignite_24
03-24-2008, 04:16 AM
I think it's been said before but Ritchie Blackmore = thread.

7even
03-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Eric Johnson
Brian May
Steve Lukather

AC/DCnut
03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
malcolm young better than angus, and the most underrated guitarist everI don't no bout dat but Malcolm is most is most underated guitarist of all time. he played lead on 4 songs from AC/DC's first album

molteymars
03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
i would agree with metallicapooos becuase mick mars is very much blues roots but he also had is very own style that made him him self.. he is very underrated.

ForrestS
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
what a fricken retard.
even SRV is not under-rated. i find he gets rated just at a good level, no over hype but not to little. people i find, appreciate his music at a good level. but EVH is WAYYYY over-rated.

+1

srv34
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Jeff healey- How many people know hes even dead?

Billy Gibbons

Noel Redding(played guitar on alot of hendrix songs{not lead obvs})

Sly Taco
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Dickey Betts- Forever in brother Duane's shadow

apollo minor
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Roy Buchanan
Joe Bonamassa

StreetLight3989
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Tom Verlaine
Johnny Thunders

simmons100
03-26-2008, 04:45 PM
For the most underrated guitarist ever probably Angus Young from AC/DC.

red_cloud1
03-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Alex Lifeson - Rush

Andy Summers - The Police

The Edge - U2 (Please keep your anti-Bono comments to yourself. I don't see why everybody hates U2.)

geeetar
03-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Michael Schenker, easily. Listen to him in his early years with UFO and he played some beaut solos. He may have transpired to be a bit of a knob, but you can't fault him for the work he did. As for being under-rated, how many people do you know who can quote the solo's to 'Too Hot To Handle' or 'Shoot Shoot' note for note? Not many, and they outclass most lead breaks before, after, contemporary or otherwise.

SmokingBarrel
03-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Ritchie Blackmore

ewp805
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Robert Fripp
John Fogerty
Martin Barre

and +1 to everyone who said Ritchie Blackmore :)

//ANDREW\\
03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Peter Frampton

TDMize15
03-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Peter Frampton

Ahhhhhh, how did I forget Frampton. Good call.

//ANDREW\\
03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
ohhh and
Alex Lifeson of Rush

Chris_Parker
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Bradley Nowell? Larry Lalonde?

Bostonrocks
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Tom Scholz has got to be the most underatted of all time. the guy recorded a hit album in his basement made guitar gear that is still used today. has some of the best melody and Phrasing of all time. he's also got a wicked vibrato and is amazing at bending

also +1 to alex lifeson hes a close second

FreddieMercury
03-29-2008, 10:39 PM
the guy from boston

Bostonrocks
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
the guy from boston
Tom scholz is the "guy" from boston lol

Ignite_24
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Ahhhhhh, how did I forget Frampton. Good call.
I 3 times agree

jimmygoff
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Mick Mars of Motley Crue is pretty underrated

ohhey9040
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Eddie Hazel, Mick Jones, Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd (One wouldn't be the same without the other), Shuggie Otis, Paul Kosoff, Nels Cline :cool:

AngusIsMyHero
04-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy
Steve Miller
Neal Schon of Journey (also played with Carlos Santana)
Paul Kossoff of Free
James Young and Tommy Shaw of Styx

Those are some of my favorites that I rarely hear mentioned.

eliteXsoccer
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Carlos Santana.
If he isn't the most underrated hes one of them. You would be surprised at how many people dont even know who he is.

Personally Santana is the greatest guitarist ever, but that's MY OPINION. so dont get your panties in a wad if you disagree. id rather just hear about who you think is the greatest, even if you dont like him, you HAVE to give him credit because you KNOW hes good.
He's the reason I wanted to learn to play guitar. If I could have one wish, i'd wish for the chance to play with him. My life would be complete after that. As far as I'm concerned the only 2 things I havent done in my life are as follows: Play guitar with Santana and Skydive.

Haggard13
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Izzy Stradlin

outlawblues
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Mick Ronson. He may not be a virtuoso or anything but I've always liked his work. If you've only heard his stuff with Bowie check out his solo stuff too.

ledhead67
04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Robby Krieger, Rory Gallagher, Brian May, David Gilmour, Tom Scholz, Pete Townshend, George Harrison, the list goes on.......

OrrieGolo
04-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Angus Young is probably the most underrated guitarists after him it would be me

BOC15
04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Angus Young is nothing but OVERrated... don't get me wrong though, he is pretty good.

It's without a question Alex Lifeson, and after what a lot of people think, EVH is up there also.

aedmiston
04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Well i was going to say lifeson, but someone beat me to it. Gary Hoey is pretty beast too

//ANDREW\\
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
mkk
i updated my list
even though everyone on heres probably been done
lol

Peter Frampton
Brian May
Neil Schon
George Harrison
John Lennon
Alex Lifeson
Carlos Santana
Tom Petty
Pete Townshend
Malcom Young
and from what some one has told me
both robert plant and Freddie Mercury played guitar pretty well
soo maybe their underrated
idk? can any1 clarify this?

gtrplyr54
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
prolly Lifeson, he is actually pretty amazing and some people need to just listen to him shred his gibson

BOC Fan
06-04-2008, 02:46 AM
There is a difference between underrated and unheard of, so all of you posting "I bet you never even heard of him", he is not underrated just unheard of.

mine are

-Pete Townshend
-Buck Dharma (maybe unheard of but he's in blue oyster cult)
-Billy Gibbons (ZZtop for those who dont know)
-Brian Setzer
-Mike Bloomfield

Mobius Man
06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
+1 for Lifeson. For all the good work he's done, I don't know why he's not more prevalent.

RampagingAcorn
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Pete Townshend

jymellis
06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
www.jinmo.com

jym

TedE
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
umm,

every guitarist mentioned so far i have heard mentioned in some kind of "great guitarists lists" so i don't know why u are all listing people who get tonnes of credit (deserved or not) so here are mine

tom verlaine - from television
lee renaldo and thurston moore - from sonic youth
stephen malkmus - from pavement

and many others.

jymellis
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
umm,

every guitarist mentioned so far i have heard mentioned in some kind of "great guitarists lists" so i don't know why u are all listing people who get tonnes of credit (deserved or not) so here are mine

tom verlaine - from television
lee renaldo and thurston moore - from sonic youth
stephen malkmus - from pavement

and many others.

so you have heard of jinmo?

jym

irishman
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
erm... peter green anyone?

TedE
06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
so you have heard of jinmo?

jym

haha, yeah sorry. i hadn't heard of him. now i have. i missed your post. sorry.

Orbit91
06-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Steve Howe.
Steve Hackett.
Alex Skolnick.
Chris Poland.
Rocky George.

And since so many people are saying Robby Krieger, surely he's not underrated then ;)?

bass dude
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
most underated guitarist is most definately Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult

Big Light
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Someone likes jam bands..but regardless those are all extremely talented guitarists, buuuuut i think Duane Allman deserves more credit than he gets for basically being the best slide player that ever lived(my opinion)

You know what you're talking about. Duane Allman is amazing and underrated.

Buck Dharma is good, but nowhere near as good as Allman.

TedE
06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
peter green

Bucketheadroolz
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Uhm...Not enough people know of Buckethead...
Underrated
George Harrison

LordBaxtus
06-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Peter Green, of Fleetwood Mac. B.B. King once said he was the only player who ever made him sweat.

JDizzle787
06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
mkk
i updated my listand from what some one has told me
both robert plant and Freddie Mercury played guitar pretty well
soo maybe their underrated
idk? can any1 clarify this?

Dunno about freddie but I've seen a youtube vid of robert ripping it up on a fans explorer that he got signed... I guess

Really underrated:
-Eddie Hazel
-whoever played for Janis Joplin. I've got her greatest hits, and the guitar in it is amazing

LordBaxtus
06-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Dunno about freddie but I've seen a youtube vid of robert ripping it up on a fans explorer that he got signed... I guess

Really unde :
-Eddie Hazel
-whoever played for Janis Joplin. I've got her greatest hits, and the guitar in it is amazing

The entire album Maggot Brain is full of great guitar, like the title track and Super Stupid.

leemacefc
06-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I Really Think That It's Bon Jovi's Guitarist , Richard Stephen Sambora, But Hey, That's Just An Opinion! I Also Think That Tom Morrelo Is Pretty Under rated, too!

OzarkMDaredevil
06-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Bob Weir, Jerry Garcia, and the rest of the Grateful Dead guitarists, they're really good guitarists, but no body's ever heard of them...

John Fogerty....

And finally Thin Lizzy, Phil Lynott is a very underrated bassist.......

Zetsword
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Steve Howe of Yes, without him the band wouldn't have been able to really hit it big. He was absolutely amazing on The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge and Drama. He was one of the most versatile guitarists of that time period.

aerosmith513
06-08-2008, 07:31 AM
for writing Izzy Stradilin, for playing id Rich Robinson or Joe Perry or Brad Whitford. Billy Gibbons is pretty underrated. Now that I think of it for playing its Dean Deleo. and writing is Izzy Stradlin but those guitarists up there are underrated as well. Billy Corgan is also very underrated.

BallerVR35
06-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Billy Gibbons is the most underated guitarist, easily
amazing solos
catchy riffs
sweet Texas-twang tone with distortion

chetta2323
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
EVH aint underatted lol. i think Gary Rossington is underratted

discuss...

Sonny_sam
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Jan Akkerman from Focus

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

the guitar on that is phenomenal and revolutionary in my opinion considering it was the early 1970's

leemacefc
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM

discuss...

Eddy Van Halen Isn't Under Rated, But Neither SRV!

lespaul#1
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
EVH=tapper
tapping=not that hard/overrated

+1,000.

lespaul#1
07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
That poor Hendrix guy.

beadhangingOne
07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Alvin Lee, Steve Howe

shredder.cheese
07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Uli Jon Roth is completely underated, except by other musicians. I have to agree with everyone who said, Steve Howe, Brian May and Alex Lifeson.

LedZoso4
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Definitely Alex Lifeson of Rush. He plays insane acoustic on The Trees, a fast intro on Spirit of Radio, and all of Rush's old songs have awesome solos. But no one really knows or respects him, and everyone likes Geddy and Neil better. And btw, eddie and stevie are both good and universally revered. lay off the penguins

RounderIII
07-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Definitely Alex Lifeson of Rush. He plays insane acoustic on The Trees, a fast intro on Spirit of Radio, and all of Rush's old songs have awesome solos. But no one really knows or respects him, and everyone likes Geddy and Neil better. And btw, eddie and stevie are both good and universally revered. lay off the penguins

Agreed on Alex. Another Underrated guitarist is Robin Trower. Not many know him, so to everyone who does, Good Job :)

c-rob6422
07-06-2008, 08:40 AM
1st. the guy from Cheap Trick was hell good and catchy
2nd. Dude from Eagles
3rd. Dude from Foghat
4th. Dude from Steppenwolf
5th Randy Rhoads
6th Brian may
7th Dude from the police
8th tie. Dudes from Rush and Yes

Jackie_927
07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
EVH is THE most overrated, showoffy player in the world.

this thread has been SOO many times anyway.

Close it.

and for the record: Alvin Lee and Steve Howe.

agreed EVH is definately not underated

and it seems like nobody knows who Alvin Lee is

chrismooremusic
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I've got to agree on George Harrison -- yes, he's a Beatle, but I don't think he gets his solo dues as a guitarist -- sooooo amazing.

And, also, there's this guy named Jimi Hendrix or something; he was pretty good.... ;-)

-Chris
Laptop Sessions (http://laptopsessions.com)

LedDaveZeppelin
07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Chet Atkins... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI

But thats not really Classic rock so George Harrison and Neil Young.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Jeff Beck
Frank Zappa
John McLaughlin
Ry Cooder

flickofdaswitch
07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Mick Ronson

Earl Slick

.............Tiny Tim.. :D

samdefrezz
07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Nuno Freakin' Bettencourt

defleppettychik
07-12-2008, 02:56 AM
To be honest...
I think Pete Willis is VERY underestaimated! He used to be in Def Leppard, but got fired during touring of their 2nd album.

He is actually really good at guitar. But Phil, Steve, and Vivian are better.

DirtyMakik
07-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Yngwie J. Malsteem, maybe the only shred guitarist that doesn't puts 3zillion Ohm Pickups on his guitar(DiMarzio YJM->less output than a single coil) and doesn't create a wall of distortion and still plays great.

Brian May, among the best tones ever! -¨> built his own guitar!

Jan Akkerman, amazing riffs (Focus' ''Hocus Pocus'') and crazy playing 10 years before EVH(both are Dutch :p: )

Ritchie Blackmore, each time I talk to someone about Deep Purple or Blackmore's Night, people get like ''oh that f*g who plays Smoke on the Water!''
You wanna hear the man -> The Storm by Blackmore's Night
that's some crazy fingerplaying
-->AND YES! The Smoke On The Water riff WAS played With fingers(kinda slap)

Lindsay Buckingham, amazing no-picks riffs (->Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac)

Mark Knopfner(sp?), well that's been said.

EDIT: Forgot Jeff Beck!

BrockTandem
07-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Frank Marino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL0IbQ2ltC0

Listen to that song and try and tell me it is not masterful.

ortrigger
07-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't know if he's been mentioned but Neil Schon is hardly ever mentioned among good classic rock guitarists.

vegetable-tron
07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Larry Lalonde.

David_Bowie=GOD
07-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Brian May
Mick Ronson
Alex Lifeson
Andy Summers
oh and Herman Li( joke, his music is terrible )

metallicaPOOS
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
mick ronson man, fer sure

slidething31
07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I think Mick Taylor is criminally underrated.

metallicaPOOS
07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree hes a good guitarist, but I can't help laughing at how awkward he looks in the videos of him onstage witht the stones. hes doesnt move or look up from his guitar. w/e im glad ronnie wood replaced him.

oh, theres another guitarist who is under-rated. ronnie wood is a great slide guitarist and did some good work in the faces.

Iron_Dude
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Dickey Betts
Steve Howe
Andy Summers
Brian May

Without them, all of these bands would just suck. Well, maybe not Yes as long as they still had Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Don't know if he's been mentioned but Neil Schon is hardly ever mentioned among good classic rock guitarists.

good call on Neil Schon.....his work with Santana was great, but very overlooked

Rockabilly_Cat
07-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Donald "Buck Dharma" Rosier in Blue Öyster Cult.

Anyone who's heard all of their albums can fully support my opinion, he's F'ing insane!

Dead accurate in his playing, love him.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rocknroll8293/BkShot_02-03.jpg

roshjosh
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Al DiMeola
Frank Zappa

stratdud39
07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
neither SRV or EVH are underrated.
i would say the guitarist for david bowie who died( i dont even know his name) is very underrated.
EDIT: also Frank Zappa and Ronnie Wood

ledhead67
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
^Mick Ronson? Is that who you're thinking of?

ortrigger
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
good call on Neil Schon.....his work with Santana was great, but very overlooked
I haven't heard any of the stuff he did for Santana but I've heard almost all of Journey's songs and he's got some pretty awesome stuff in there.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I haven't heard any of the stuff he did for Santana but I've heard almost all of Journey's songs and he's got some pretty awesome stuff in there.

o you should definately check out his stuff with santana! its awesome

albums: Santana III, Caravanserai, Santana with Buddy Miles

there all great albums!

ortrigger
07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
o you should definately check out his stuff with santana! its awesome

albums: Santana III, Caravanserai, Santana with Buddy Miles

there all great albums!
ya definitely when i get some money. i spent all my money going to see him last friday. :( but the concert was amazing. :cool:

Gris-Gris-Man
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
o really! awesome, i was gonna go see him in DC, but it came too soon.....im broke!!!! :eek:

ortrigger
07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
ya. i had to buy tickets way early but it was definitely worth it. Schon is still on top of his game, thats for sure. and the new singer actually does the music justice.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
o wow! haha i thought you were talkin about Santana, cause they were touring.......but im sure Journey was great! im goin to see Frampton soon

Aplanken
07-19-2008, 06:30 PM
agreed EVH is definately not underated

and it seems like nobody knows who Alvin Lee is

man, I was just thinking the same 'bout Alvin Lee

just bought some cd's from Ten Years After (incl. Live @ Fillmore)

the dude is a master!

Skirvy
07-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Robby Krieger.

Malcolm Young.

ortrigger
07-19-2008, 07:01 PM
o wow! haha i thought you were talkin about Santana, cause they were touring.......but im sure Journey was great! im goin to see Frampton soon
sweet. another would be the guys from Boston. i don't remember they're names though.

hendrixlives69
07-22-2008, 12:29 AM
steve hackett

defleppettychik
07-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Pete Townshend...he's the one who started the whole destroy your guitar thing......I feel he is extremely underestamated.....i think I might cry....its so tragic......lol

Atmosmith
07-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Robin Trower and Robby Kreiger for sure. Spanish Caravan is simply amazing guitar work. Oh and the guitarists from Budgie.

TDMize15
07-22-2008, 03:36 AM
sweet. another would be the guys from Boston. i don't remember they're names though.

Tom Scholz... and ya he is pretty incredible. I read somewhere that he learned guitar by himself and a year later wrote Foreplay/ Long Time...

ortrigger
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Tom Scholz... and ya he is pretty incredible. I read somewhere that he learned guitar by himself and a year later wrote Foreplay/ Long Time...
that somehow wouldn't surprise me. I know that their music has helped me immensely in my playing.

Fiberglass Gum
07-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Jeff Beck, he's rarely recognised for his jewels in the Yardbirds. His solo work is great, too.

Robby Krieger from The Doors is very underrated. His ability to set the mood on the songs, put the psichodelic stage on every part, it's simply great. He's also got nice riffs. Roundhouse Blues has a killer riff, the guitar blends perfectly with Jim's vocals.

The guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd also write awesome solos and riffs. They're phrasing is impecable.

Everybody praises the Freebird solo, yet the guitar players go unmentioned. (Yeah, I forgot their names)

Iron_Dude
07-24-2008, 01:43 AM
^Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Steve Gaines, and Ed King. The first three are dead, and I really don't know what's up with King. He lost a lot of weight and then just sort of dissapeared. But yeah, they are all very underrated.

And yes, I'm a southern rock junkie. :D

JLPicard
07-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Neil Young-
I always list Young on my top 5 great guitarists and always catch h*ll for it. But I make no apologises. He may not be technically the best but he pours so much heart into his playing it makes up for any technical misage. I will say I am a Clapton fan (mostly of his Cream stuff and early day work) but I will also say I have always felt there is something lacking in Clapton's playing-and its heart. You can feel Young's heart and soul in his playing- I don't feel any heart/soul in Clapton's-sorry. Young has the ability to pour his gut into his playing as few others do in my opinion. I mean listen to Like a Hurricane or Cortez the Killer ( to just name a few) and his greatness cannot be denied. Call Young the King of Distortion or the Grandafather of Grunge....but call him Great !

Lindsey Buckingham-
Listen to Go Insane, and that's on acoustic !

Matthias Jabs
He's overlooked because to some degree the Scorpions are foolishly disregarded by some as simply an 80's borderline hair band. Far from it. Jabs can tear down the house with the best of 'um. Michael Schenker or Uli Roth got nothing on Matthias. I happen to think his axe partner Rudolf Schenker is highly under-rated as well.

Carole

slidething31
07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
^ Well, you're definitely the first person I've seen accuse Clapton of having no soul or heart.

holy666
07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Ritchie Blackmore, each time I talk to someone about Deep Purple or Blackmore's Night, people get like ''oh that f*g who plays Smoke on the Water!''
You wanna hear the man -> The Storm by Blackmore's Night
that's some crazy fingerplaying
-->AND YES! The Smoke On The Water riff WAS played With fingers(kinda slap)

agreed with that, ritchie's career got eclipsed by smoke on the water riff

Some other underrated: Frank zappa, Steve Howe, Andy Timmons, Al DiMeola, Steve Morse

Explicit User
07-26-2008, 01:09 AM
actually Adam Jones is really one of the least appreciated guitarists, generally because what he does is considered simple. but he's incredibly creative, and sounds amazing.
This. He's brilliant.

lespaulmatt
07-28-2008, 05:46 AM
well obviously Jimi Hendrix is...jj.

Probably David Gilmoure is actually.

Bostonrocks
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Personally Tom Scholz is very underrated as a guitarist AND composer. He is so melodic it's just amazing I think he is probably on of the MOST underated in the world

ItalysFinest429
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Izzy from GnR

//ANDREW\\
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
here are some more guitarists i think are under rated

Mark Knofler(Dire Straits)
Neal Schon(Journey)
Tommy Shaw(Styx)
George Harrison
and Nancy Wilson(Heart)

LgLagro
07-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Easy, Michael Romeo of Symphony X. He's a chubby guy, so his appearance will never be mainstream like Eddie Van Halen, who is also awesome.

I think Angus Young might be a little over rated. Don't get me wrong, I love AC/DC and listen to it regularly, but the guitar tends to be simple chords and solos a little lacking in real emotion.

redsoxrule2004
07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Me none of you know my name and i pwn noobs at guitar!!!!!!

just kidding

acualy i suck teribly

And just so you know my name is scrappy coco

LgLagro
07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Me none of you know my name and i pwn noobs at guitar!!!!!!

just kidding

acualy i suck teribly

And just so you know my name is scrappy coco

I know your kidding, but you do bring up the point that there are tons of non-professional guitarists that could probably give Steve Vai a few lessons ;) .

guitarskater11
07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
John Squire...John Mayer

69jimifan69
07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
dude are u ****ing kidding evh is by far the most OVERrated guitar player in the history of the instrument

TUXGUITAR
08-06-2008, 10:57 PM
john frusciante

omarkandah
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
john frusciante

+1012347937418374328471238470184701

BY FAR JOHN FRUSCNATE, HES TO ME ONE OF THE BEST EVER!

tarheelsguy885
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
i think syd barret is very underated and have you heard the hype about texas flood?

Thefallofman
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, here's something to think about:

If these guys are the most underrated guitarists of all time, how come there's someone on a forum years after their heyday talking about their greatness?

Wouldn't the most underrated guitarist already be forgotten? Or more accurately, someone great who never got noticed in the first place?

omarkandah
08-08-2008, 05:58 AM
thats true man ^^

but i still think frusciante is. i mean, the guy put out 9 albums while puttin out albums in a band. not to mention, he wrote a whole album in one day.

slidething31
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
^ How can he be underrated? Half of UG idolizes him, and he was on the cover of Rolling Stone as a new guitar god.

JKOKE492
08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Brian May

spiralozooid
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Kim Thayil soundgarden

psychokoala
08-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Tom Scholz!!!

Ponyexpress
08-09-2008, 03:22 PM
RORY GAHLIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!
or however you spell his last name :)
almost for got about andres segovie or however its spelled he is undisputibly one of the best guitarests of all time but because he plays clasical noone cares :no: :liplick: :rolleyes:
these are FUN smiles!!!!! Kurt Cobain is both underrated and overated i think the best word is misunderstood kurt was a genious at making sound with his guitar but, because his riffs and solos were often extremely simple lots of guitarests muscians critics ect. dispise him and lots of his fans make to big of a deal because his riffs while simple were very catchy
oh and to the dude who said soundgardens kim ... somthing is under rated i dont think so he made it on the list of top RS 100 guitarest although that was a tolotaly screwed up list so i dont take it to seriously and yes Mark Knofler is underrated

BroderickS520ex
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
probably Chris Broderick.....

KeeF23
08-11-2008, 04:33 PM
dude are u ****ing kidding evh is by far the most OVERrated guitar player in the history of the instrument

amen

Kolb-Stomp
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Alex Lifeson for sure one of the most underrated maybe not the MOST but one of em'

Musak11
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
charlie christian, duhh the first

i bet half you guys dont even know who he is
black 1930s jazz guitarist from harlem i think

Les Gibson
08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
richard thompson, deffo

JGov05
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I would say Steve Howe of Yes is pretty underrated.

Lin
08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Izzy Stradlin, Prince or Paul Kossof

BTW, although EVH may be overrated amongst guitarists, among the Guitar Hero playing mainstream he's not all that well known, not like Slash is. So he's both a yes and a no.

santonocito90
08-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Allan Holdsworth

Alvin Lee

Gui Rocha
08-23-2008, 08:42 AM
HI PEOPLE

ooooh so many I guess

80s : Richie Kotzen, Tony Macalpine, Vito Bratta, Nuno Bettencourt, Rik Emmet, Jerry Cantrell, Steve Lynch, Reb Beach, Michael Angelo Batio ( come on , more than a shredder , a perfeccionist ) , Andy Timmons, John Norum , so many many, Tafolla too...

70s: Frank Marino, The guitarrists from janis joplin, oh my so many

THE GREATEST UNDERRATED- I think for metal Jerry Cantrell, such a great composer man. And for hard rock and stuff... Richie Kotzen has unbeliavable chops, so old school yet so ... modern playing technique style... a great mix. Reb Beach has something so 80s yet original ... but winger is not my cup of tea...

But my favourite would be MICHAEL HEDGES... acoustic player... I RECOMMEND PEOPLE :)

ROCK ON FRIENDS

" HEAVEN IS ALL AROUND , TRANSLATED TO SOUND "

blackduck66
08-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Mick Mars of motley crue and Ace Frehley of kiss

sglover34479
08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
LEO KOTTKE! I dont know why more people dont know him. Whether you like him or not, noone can play like him and people need to understand that this man is AMAZING

JeffWiredBeck24
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM

This is exactly why I hate the Classic Rock board.

Well, all Bands & Artists boards.

The elitism, it pains me.

Andrewbiles
08-24-2008, 07:30 PM
^ It's one of the reasons why these threads usually get closed instantly. Plus, I find it slightly embarrassing when people claim these musicians to be great but seemingly have no idea how to spell their name.