Why do you hate Yngwie?

PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hate Yngwie?

Pages : [1] 2

eXor
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM
It seems that everybody here hates yngwie :(
why??? :rolleyes:

randyrhoadsfan1
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
because he's ignorant and fat,them two don't mix

Archaon
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
I like him. Most people don't like him because that's what everyone else is doing...

I mean, sure, he ripped off a lot of his stuff from classical composers, but he still wails.
\m/

quinny1089
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
^and dont forget he swedish

nah jk lol,

he really is arrogant, hes a gd guitar player tho, i just dont like much of what he plays

bat69420
originally posted by randyrhoadsfan1:because he's ignorant and fat,them two don't mix

He's fat?? I saw a video of him in a guitar-mag cd-rom and hes not fat, just really good at guitar. I dont suppose youll tell me its the camera-angle?

sum_english_guy
sounds 2 classical

good guiatr player though :peace: :argue:

slash111391
i dont mind him

ProPlayer
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
He's an arrogant and obnoxious wanker that had a raging hissy fit at a little old lady and raved on about killing her. I find him to be a detestable person, but i do like the stuff he did in the 80's. Oh i guess i like all his music then.

adamstartin
10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Considering he got soo good with his wrist imaparement thingy, its amazing.

gothikchile13
10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
As of right now, it's tied all 33.33% haha. I don't like Yngwie because a) I hate his playing b) he's an asshole and c) he sucks (big deal he can play fast)

Erc
10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I actually like him. Even though a lot of his songs are bland harmonic minor wanking there are quite a few gems thrown in here and there and they are truly great.

Freepower
10-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I like him because his limited repetoire of stuff is both uniquely his own and quite good.

Anyone who hates him because he's fat or opinionated needs to pick a fight with a tiger with large pieces of bacon stapled to them.

pentagram_man63
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
why do people hate him? i think some of his songs are really cool...

but what do u mean arrogant and obnoxious? has he had incidents like this? i can tell there is something im missing... (dont know much about him)

Witch-king
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Meh he's alright. His skills are obviously excellent but I'm not a big fan of his music. I'm totally basing my opinion of him on his album Rising Force btw, cause that's all I've heard from him.

ProPlayer
10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
^^Yngwie is legendary for his arrogance and twattery. He even refuses to give autographs sometimes or talk to fans because he thinks he is better than everyone. EVERYONE. That and the plane incident, is the tape recording of that real btw?

Freepower
10-26-2005, 03:50 PM
He doesnt think he's better than everyone...at guitar, better than everyone he doesnt know already, and thats a decent assumption in his case, how many times a day does some pentatonic wanker come up and try and play his songs to him?

Scorzerci
10-26-2005, 03:56 PM
pro
hes scandinavian
he has some good songs and is really fast

con
hes very arrogant
almost all his music sounds the same and he always uses one scale pretty much

public property
10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Yngwie says 'hes at the top of his game' alot...which is just being an arse, I get bored by his music quickly, even the good tracks, I've never seen yngwie in concert but from videos,
Yngwie in concert <<<<<<<< (times the number of times vai's cryed over bamby) vai in concert.

Resiliance
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
People need to look at Yngwie as an artist, not a person. That's why.

Yngwie in concert owns as well :p: (pp ;))

mr_clapton
10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
yngwie had a valid reason for threatening to kill that person, she spilit water on him....now dont do this to yngwie or he will UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!!! Plus he hates donuts.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=8100 there is the site with the recording, it made me love yngwie even more.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I like the music, but hate the attitude.

bat69420
10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
yngwie had a valid reason for threatening to kill that person, she spilit water on him....now dont do this to yngwie or he will UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!!! Plus he hates donuts.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=8100 there is the site with the recording, it made me love yngwie even more.

Hahahahahahahahahahah now, i too love yngwie, i probably would've done the same thing w/ a blood-alchohol level that high.
:D

(this post not suitable for anyone under the age of 21)

nonickname
10-26-2005, 05:49 PM

after listening to that.... he seriously sounds like a arrogant dumbass

SwantonV1
10-26-2005, 05:56 PM
the plain truth is that there are better guitarist than Yngwie and always go for better

sticky tissue
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
i hate yngwie because he said stve vai is a great guy but for the love of god sucks. steve vai owns his ass and ftlog is atleast a million times better than anything yngwie has ever done.

priest.fan.
10-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I like some of his songs, but I can only listen to him in small doses, it all sounds the same after a few songs. rising force is an awesome album.

and I dont care if hes a bad person - I like him okay as an artist, Im not looking for him to be my best buddy or anything...

Axegrinder#9
10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
for some of the people who said that they hated Yngwie 'cos he's fat, with all due respect, go fvck yourselves - arrogant? yea I'm sure you know him personally...

Archaon
10-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I agree that Malmsteen is an ass and does put himself much higher than deserved, but he's still a wicked guitar player as I've said earlier. Vai beats the hell out of him, sure, but he's still great.

HomerHitter
10-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Why do I hate Yngwie? Becuase he's a complete dingleberry.

Has Many Issues
10-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I like his guitar playing...but not him as an actual person.

bigwilliestyle
10-26-2005, 10:09 PM
holy ****, did anyone see the g3 vid in denver? fat yngwie swinging his guitar around and kicking air, gayest thing ive ever seen.... and did you see how he butchered neil young and jimi hendrix? damn, someones gotta tell him that e minor hormonic is only one of many hundreds of scales. i consider him the kirk hammet of the shred world... has some shining moments, but is predictable as ****

TheUltimateSin
10-26-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't mind him. He's sh*tloads better than me so I can't really badmouth him and have it mean anything. I could be cliche' and bash him for being fat, but what purpose would that serve seeing as he isn't really anymore?

The UG Squirrel
10-27-2005, 01:31 AM
i hate yngwie because he said stve vai is a great guy but for the love of god sucks. steve vai owns his ass and ftlog is atleast a million times better than anything yngwie has ever done.

he didnt say he sucks, he doesnt like his vibrato in the song. SO?! i'm not fond of steves vibrato in the song either. He is allowed to have his own opinion. Jesus.

Yngwie has his moments, but some of his stuff is just bland harmonic minor wanking.

mattallica
10-27-2005, 02:51 AM
i dont like him because in every interview ive read with him, he thinks he's king ****. for how seriously he takes his compositions, they all sounds soooooo similar its not even funny. he's obviously one of the most talented guitarists in the world, but his songs suck. on g3 live in denver during the jams, he just wanks and wanks while vai and satch have good melodic ones and in one solo, he gos too long and vai and stach look at each other and you can tell what theyre thinking; "WANKER"

SPEED_KING
10-27-2005, 03:19 AM
I like his music but what i have heard of him himself hes a poof

mattallica
10-27-2005, 05:03 AM
also, in a newish edition of guitar player i think, he said he was the "zappa of metal". lol
keep dreaming

The UG Squirrel
10-27-2005, 05:50 AM
but isnt that Yngwie in your display pic, mattalica?

mattallica
10-27-2005, 06:35 AM
yea just coz i dont like him doesnt mean that thing doesnt look cool(i knew someone would eventually point that out lol)

pavan
10-27-2005, 06:53 AM
People need to look at Yngwie as an artist, not a person. That's why.

(pp ;))

yes

Mad Marius
10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
It seems that everybody here hates yngwie :(
why??? :rolleyes:

Not "everybody" hates Yngwie. Many who hate him have simply heard/read somewhere that "It's cool to hate Yngwie, cause he's arrogant and fat.", so being the trendwh.ores that they are, they've joined this Yngwie hating cult, even though a good percentage of them haven't even listened to his music.

Besides, anyone who uses "lol", "rofl" and "your" when they mean "you're" (for example: "your a dumbass") couldn't possibly have a relevant oppinion when it comes to music and judging artists.

EDIT: seems the good old [ b ] [/ b ] doesn't work anymore, so we can't type f[ b ][ /b ]uck when we want to say f.u.c.k. Aww...

JS Donnie F.
10-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't like him because of his attitute, his preformance (kis lame kicks, guitar spins and destroying guitars) and I think that his music is borring - all he does is he plays fast.

fendrix420
10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
fuk all you haters man not one of you has his skill or talent

pavan
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Shame on you fellas. This thing has run into 3 pages. Was it worth it? Has this thread changed your life?

And after 3 months of quite and peace Mr ( ) will make a new thread on Malmsteen. Then, someone who cant stand Malmsteen will make an arrogant remark. Then Mr. (X) will stand up and defend Malmsteen and say, betcha cant make a song like this and betcha arent as good as him. And then the thread will run into pages and pages.

Again, is it worth it?

Witch-king
10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Shame on you fellas. This thing has run into 3 pages. Was it worth it? Has this thread changed your life?

And after 3 months of quite and peace Mr ( ) will make a new thread on Malmsteen. Then, someone who cant stand Malmsteen will make an arrogant remark. Then Mr. (X) will stand up and defend Malmsteen and say, betcha cant make a song like this and betcha arent as good as him. And then the thread will run into pages and pages.

Again, is it worth it?

You could argue that everything in life is pointless, because in the end you die.

pavan
10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
ya dont have to argue - life is futile.
read Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage

Resiliance
10-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, it's a forum, what else IS there to do...

SilentDeftone
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
The only thing I dislike about him is that he played intrusively on the Denver G3 jams? much of his playing just didn't fit along well with Vai and Satch, and thus sounded bad. However he did have some good moments on that DVD.

-SD :dance:

paddyo
10-27-2005, 01:06 PM
The man has undeniable talent. You can't disagree with that fact. sometimes his music is repetetive but so is satches(whom I think is awesome also) and thats still good so it doesn't matter. also are buying Cd's to assess yngwie's personality(Fucking arrogant!:)) or are we buying his Cd to listen to MUUUSSIIIIC....lets say that again, not personality MMMUUUUSSSIC.

apocalypse13
10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
He has an arrogant attitude and thinks he's the best guitarist ever, and he's not. But I enjoy him. I vote that I like.

Scorzerci
10-27-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't like him because of his attitute, his preformance (kis lame kicks, guitar spins and destroying guitars) and I think that his music is borring - all he does is he plays fast.
on the g3 live in denver he probably smashes a squire or something cus right before he smashes his guitar you can see his guitar tech giving him a new guitar.

eXor
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
^^jup, The First Strat has a maple neck and the second a rosewood

Lacrymosa
10-28-2005, 03:13 PM

He isn't fat anymore. In matter of facts, you're being ignorant by saying that :o

priest.fan.
10-28-2005, 07:25 PM
The only thing I dislike about him is that he played intrusively on the Denver G3 jams? much of his playing just didn't fit along well with Vai and Satch, and thus sounded bad. However he did have some good moments on that DVD.

yeah, I noticed that... like, satriani and vai would be playing some cool harmonized slow stuff, and yngwie would just be off doing his own shredding thing :confused:

I also didnt really like his vocals on voodoo child...

although I also agree that he had his moments, and I still really like rising force (the album)

Riryoku
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Because he's fat. Nobody likes fat people.

...well, Michael Romeo...but he's an exception.

TimiHendrix33
10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Because he's a stupid dick AND his music sucks

priest.fan.
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM

the intelligence of that post completely blew me away.

Guitarguy_710
10-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I like his music, but he is arrogant.

Witch-king
10-28-2005, 08:11 PM

...well, Michael Romeo...but he's an exception.

What about Santa?

bucky_2300
10-28-2005, 11:33 PM
He's gotten a lot nicer and less egotistical lately. Plus, he kicks ass at the guitar.

LedZeppelin
10-29-2005, 12:21 AM
BECAUSE HE UNLEASHED THE FOCKING FURY!!!

And he stole all his riffs from Bach. Seriously, neo-classical shredding may sound cool, but after a while it gets old and you realize it was done before in the 17th century.

Riffmast
10-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Well i've listined to a fair ammount of shredding. But the Rising Force album simply blows practicly everything away. He's obviously not just playing fast. I get emotional listing to Yngwies music. Theirs lost of great composition in his music. And since when is playing fast bad, it sounds ****ing cool so i like it.
I've also never heard any steve vai song that was as good as something like Black Star or As Above, SO Below, Hell even Steve Vai agress that Yngwie is better than him. Not that Steve Vai is bad at all, he's amazeing aswell.

public property
10-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Steve vai says alot of people are better than him, some of which quite obviously arent.

gimme_fuel_89
10-29-2005, 06:01 AM
Steve vai says alot of people are better than him, some of which quite obviously arent.

That's because steve vai is modest and unlike fat, arrogant yngwie.

Steve vai absolutely KILLS yngwie in any area of the guitar, effortlessly. You don't need to be a fucken genious to figure that out

henryX14
10-29-2005, 06:06 AM
i thk he play really fast....but dont u thk...he playing the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN

JL900
10-29-2005, 06:49 AM
i thk he play really fast....but dont u thk...he playing the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN

Yea, alot of people say he just plays the same thing over and over and all he does is go up and down the fretboard really fast without any rythmn. Maybe that's why they don't like him.

Metalology
10-29-2005, 11:31 AM

Steve vai absolutely KILLS yngwie in any area of the guitar, effortlessly. You don't need to be a fucken genious to figure that out

Agreed, I'd take Steve over Yngwie any day.

priest.fan.
10-29-2005, 12:02 PM

well, yngwie is actually faster and cleaner than vai... but I do agree with you that vai is a much better musician

AngilasGuy
10-29-2005, 06:34 PM
\hate the attitude.
he's a complete dingleberry.
He's an arrogant and obnoxious wanker that had a raging hissy fit at a little old lady and raved on about killing her. I find him to be a detestable person
he's an asshole and c) he sucks (big deal he can play fast)

Actually he has grown up a lot since the 80's/90's and he's lost a LOT of weight if you've seen his latest promo shots.... Don't you people realize that you are sounding EXACTLY like yngwie by critisizing him in the exact way he acted a while ago? You're no better for ****'s sake!

And personally, if my mom died, my house got destroyed in an earthquake, my ferarri got totalled, my wife divorced me, and my manager stole all my money, I'd be a pretty pissed person too. Give the guy some slack, he's been through a LOT of **** in his life.

And he stole all his riffs from Bach. Seriously, neo-classical shredding may sound cool, but after a while it gets old and you realize it was done before in the 17th century.

He borrows classical pieces and gives them his own flavor, from Fugetta, to Air, to Toccata Fuge, to ANY classical piece he does, its never the same, if you don't appreciate him because of this, then forget about Jethro Tull, Symphony X, Vanessa Mae, Richie Blackmore, SOOO many other artists.

I love Yngwie not because of his attitude, when I started listening to him though, I was a bit turned off at his attitude, but since then, I'm pretty proud of how he has changed, he really cleaned himself up in a lot of ways. I love his music because its very original, quite a lot of it, don't get me wrong, theres a LOT of songs of his I don't like, especially the vocals (Jesus.. The vocals are awful, except for Graham Bonnet from Alkatrazz and Joe Lynn Turner from the late 80's). Although there are many creative, and drop dead beautiful songs of his, and people don't look past his look and attitude. Hes a very smart man considering how far he got in school, you need to actually LISTEN, for christ's sake people, its not the attitude, if I judged on the attitude half the music I listen to is thrown out the window right now (Jesus Christ Axl Rose is a pig).

Just listen to yourselves critisize, and then think of Yngwie's old self, are you much different? Thought not.

Resiliance
10-29-2005, 07:43 PM
^Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly.

mr_clapton
10-29-2005, 07:44 PM
thankyou AngilasGuy we should start and Yngwie defender club to show the world how great yngwie really is.

eXor
10-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Actually he has grown up a lot since the 80's/90's and he's lost a LOT of weight if you've seen his latest promo shots.... Don't you people realize that you are sounding EXACTLY like yngwie by critisizing him in the exact way he acted a while ago? You're no better for ****'s sake!

And personally, if my mom died, my house got destroyed in an earthquake, my ferarri got totalled, my wife divorced me, and my manager stole all my money, I'd be a pretty pissed person too. Give the guy some slack, he's been through a LOT of **** in his life.

He borrows classical pieces and gives them his own flavor, from Fugetta, to Air, to Toccata Fuge, to ANY classical piece he does, its never the same, if you don't appreciate him because of this, then forget about Jethro Tull, Symphony X, Vanessa Mae, Richie Blackmore, SOOO many other artists.

I love Yngwie not because of his attitude, when I started listening to him though, I was a bit turned off at his attitude, but since then, I'm pretty proud of how he has changed, he really cleaned himself up in a lot of ways. I love his music because its very original, quite a lot of it, don't get me wrong, theres a LOT of songs of his I don't like, especially the vocals (Jesus.. The vocals are awful, except for Graham Bonnet from Alkatrazz and Joe Lynn Turner from the late 80's). Although there are many creative, and drop dead beautiful songs of his, and people don't look past his look and attitude. Hes a very smart man considering how far he got in school, you need to actually LISTEN, for christ's sake people, its not the attitude, if I judged on the attitude half the music I listen to is thrown out the window right now (Jesus Christ Axl Rose is a pig).

Just listen to yourselves critisize, and then think of Yngwie's old self, are you much different? Thought not.

:cheers:

Prophet of Page
10-30-2005, 06:37 AM
well, yngwie is actually faster and cleaner than vai

I don't think so at all. Yngwie sound kinda sloppy to me when he's blistering it out on a clean tone, where Vai sounds flawless.

I REALLY dislike Malmsteen's music and tone, but I do respect him.

eXor
10-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I don't think so at all. Yngwie sound kinda sloppy to me when he's blistering it out on a clean tone
that's because you can't follow the notes ;)

Prophet of Page
10-30-2005, 08:18 AM
that's because you can't follow the notes ;)

Shut the **** up, trust me that I can follow the notes as well as anybody. You don't know me. Yngwie often makes mistakes, Vai not so much. Yngwie may go faster (which I doubt), but gets a little sloppy at times, Vai may go slower (which I doubt) but stays clean.

Freepower
10-30-2005, 10:04 AM
^ that's partly because most of Vai's runs are pre-learned and brought out for the occasion. Yngwie just plays the same old so often that he might as well have pre-learned it.

No disrespect to either. :)

public property
10-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Ah! But, what if you believe at the beginning of rescue me or bury me where he says 'this is rescue me or bury me take one' then you've got no ground to stand on mr.powers ( :p: ) cause he does a nice big 32nd run at 107 bpm :P thats not incredibly fast, but its LONG and theres a tapping solo that it leads from too.

Interiors
10-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Hmm. I dont mind him personally. I think he's a good guitarist but he doesnt vary his work enought for me. But i admit his speed runs are amazing.

Steve Vai -- > Yngwie

Beckerism
10-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Ah! But, what if you believe at the beginning of rescue me or bury me where he says 'this is rescue me or bury me take one' then you've got no ground to stand on mr.powers ( :p: ) cause he does a nice big 32nd run at 107 bpm :P thats not incredibly fast, but its LONG and theres a tapping solo that it leads from too.

Woah, that is quite fast consistantly.

Freepower
10-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Lol, sounds like he made it up in his head with his incredible ear and theory and brought it up to speed with practice. Unlike Yngwie, who swings his guitar around his neck, improvs random pedal tone, bingo, thats that.

I would certainly choose Vai over Yng everyday in overall terms, but Vai certainly would see Yngwie as the better "shredder" - meaning fast picking lines, probably. Id say Vai has a more interesting technical range overall, he isnt just a picking machine.

Anghellic
10-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Yngwie likes to unleash teh fooking fury, so he's cool in my book.

Meddling Idiot
10-30-2005, 12:48 PM
i dont like yngwies music so much, but even if he is an asshole he seems like a pretty cool guy :D

AngilasGuy
10-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Well about the whole Vai vs Yngwie thing, I'll admit Yngwie has gotten sloppy lately during some live shows (G3 denver's Evil Eye was one of my favorite preformances though, sometimes sloppy fits it well, I dunno maybe its just me).

I've seen Vai recently in some videos, he's as clean as a whistle still, and for whos faster? I couldn't care less, Cooley is hella fast but I don't particulary care for him much... So what does speed matter? As long as it sounds good, Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber is slow as hell, but I love it!
Yngwie and Vai are pals, they both have respect for each other, they're both awesome in their own light, you really can't compare the two, they're entirely different. Its like that stupid age old question "OMG YNGWIE MULMSTEIN VS HENDRIX?! LAWL!" (Which by the way, Yngwie considers hendrix the 'Jesus of rock guitar')

distilledspirit
10-30-2005, 05:46 PM
I think he's a good guitarist, and he has some good songs but Steve Vai owns his ass.

Jeffthecedar
10-30-2005, 08:42 PM
con
hes very arrogant

If I were that good, I'd probably be arrogant too. The fact remains that he is an amazing guitarist.

AngilasGuy
10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Look, it doesn't matter how anyone acts, music shouldn't be image in the first place, so forget you have ever heard or seen yngwie before outside of, say, a CD. Then judge him, critique his stuff, do that.

There are alligations against Frank Sinatra that he rapped a woman many decades ago, but I LOVE Frank Sinatra's music... Even though rape or ANY type of sexual harrassment disgusts me to the depths of my being (I can't even watch a movie with rape in it, its too much for me). The point is, when I listen to anyone's music, I try not to pay attention to whos doing it, what he or she said in an interview, or how he or she lives their lives, just enjoy the music, listen to it.

And there are so many other examples I can give, Ozzy biting the head off of a bat, thats awful, killing a poor animal, but I love Black Sabbath and Ozzy's music, I love it, I listen to it a lot, but then again, Ozzy has done a lot for himself to clean himself up, I'm proud of him as well.
Countless rock stars sleeping with countless groupie strangers, downing pills, drinking themselves to sleep, I think thats disgusting and unhealthy too, but I don't give a ****, I like thier music, big deal?
Steve Howe is an ugly, ugly man, but I love his guitaring.
Michael Angelo is annoying as hell in his instructional videos, but I love his technique.
ACDC people are like 4 feet tall and are getting so damn old, but I still love em.
Satriana is bald, I think thats icky, but who cares? Hes got good stuff.

You can point something bad out in ANYONE.

Bloodletting77
10-30-2005, 09:45 PM
i think malmsteens an arrogant twat, but he' still got great precision and great playing ability.

Resiliance
10-30-2005, 09:48 PM
^And to add to that, Angilasguy, I'd like to say:

Shut the ****ing ****ity **** up about his personality.

You don't know him in person, AND it doesn't even matter.

You all get the double stupidity prize.

It's shiny.

Erich yeung
10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah its a blinding shine for ragging on ****ing yngwie. Man i hate how its like a fad to say hes an arrogant bastard and "only plays scales really fast up and down the neck" How about you shut the **** up. Anybody who says that has no theory training at all. I mean that is terribly ignorant. I do admit he uses alot of the same licks but who doesn't enjoy blasting away their favourite licks, and have you ever tried to play an yngwie song? Its not that repetitive as there are many parts to an yngwie song. I mean sure some of the same sequences are played again and again. You know what thats called? Phrasing geniuses. :rolleyes: Man its ridiculous the amount of ragging on this guy gets from you guys.

08lambnj
10-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Malmsteen is ****ing good at what he does though

public property
10-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Resi, do you think that if an artist actually dosen't have a soul, then their playing can be without soul?
Not dissing yngwie, I just thought it would be an amusing question.

priest.fan.
10-31-2005, 03:20 PM
You all get the double stupidity prize.

It's shiny.

:haha :haha :haha

Archaon
10-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Yea I was waiting for more people to point out that being an asshole doesn't make you a bad musician...
I love Yngwie's music (and his name). I love the whole neo-classical style that him and Jason Becker use. Can anyone recommend me some more neo-classical guitarists that I should check out?

mr_clapton
10-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Vinnie Moore is good, and guess what just before Randy Roads died he was planning on fusing classical music rock if you check out diary of a madman you can hear a bit of it coming through,Joe Stump is the Yngwie clone so i dunno if you have all the yngwie albums get his. All i can think of right now.

Gabuydachk
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I like him, and Rising Force is a pretty good album, but he's not my favorite shredder.

PooKoo
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Vinnie moore is incredible.

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Just read this at http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/yngwie05.htm :

Jeb: I did not know you wrote all your lyrics.

Yngwie: I don?t just write the words. I write the melody and the harmonies as well. When Steven King writes a book, he writes the whole book.

Jeb: Do you look at the voice as another instrument?

Yngwie: Very well put. Yes, that is how I look at it. Mozart wrote a lot of operas.

Throughout the entire interview, you can see he's very arrogant. That's fine- so are a lot of people, but combine that with the outburstus in say, 2002, and the fact that HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO MOZART, and Van Gogh- what the heck. Mozart was a musical genius. Enough said.

His songs are very good, but they all sound the same, and the blur of flurried notes makes for a repetitive sound, a harsh sound at that. And the others were right- G3 in Denver, he totally intruded on the style of music, doing the same thing.

I'm not a guitar god. Far from it. I've only been playing 5 years. But that doesn't negate my opinion, nor my sense of musical taste, nor my ability to pick good from crap.

Malmsteen is arrogant, and I don't need to have met him or known him to pick this up. The people who have been calling us all profane names for saying Malmsteen is arrogant when we don't know him need a reality check. So does Malmsteen. He's not the king of Sweden, for crying out loud.

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Sure he is arrogant, but does that have anything to do with his output of music?

NO IT DOES NOT.

SilentDeftone
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
You know what thats called? Phrasing geniuses. :rolleyes:
From the limited amount of stuff I've heard of his, I think that his phrasing is pretty terrible.

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
That said (end rant, haha), we're all human. I'm arrogant at times, so is everyone. I wonder what his new album is like though? That can be the decider, I guess. Report back, people!

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Sure he is arrogant, but does that have anything to do with his output of music?

NO IT DOES NOT.

So if someone has a really bad attitude, we have to ignore this in light of their other achievements? I know I avoid a movie if there's an actor in there that I don't like based on the premise that they're arrogant, or rude to people- like the ones that throw the hissy fits just because they're rich/famous- I don't care what the movie is- it's a matter of principle.

It crosses over to a heap of different areas in life. Do you go back to the store where the pompous salesman was a complete jerk to you? Or do you give the store a bad report, and find somewhere better? I know I do, if I get terrible customer support, and just sheer rudeness.

Do you dislike a football player if he's a complete jerk? There are a few here (Australia), who snob the fans, and do all kinds of stupid things, and the general population learn of this, and don't like seeing them play anymore.

It's a simple fact of life, I guess.

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
So if someone has a really bad attitude, we have to ignore this in light of their other achievements? I know I avoid a movie if there's an actor in there that I don't like based on the premise that they're arrogant, or rude to people- like the ones that throw the hissy fits just because they're rich/famous- I don't care what the movie is- it's a matter of principle.

It crosses over to a heap of different areas in life. Do you go back to the store where the pompous salesman was a complete jerk to you? Or do you give the store a bad report, and find somewhere better? I know I do, if I get terrible customer support, and just sheer rudeness.

Do you dislike a football player if he's a complete jerk? There are a few here (Australia), who snob the fans, and do all kinds of stupid things, and the general population learn of this, and don't like seeing them play anymore.

It's a simple fact of life, I guess.

Sure people are snobs. Just because the football player is does that mean he sucks at the sport? Just because Yngwie is arrogant makes him suck at the guitar? I think not.

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Sure people are snobs. Just because the football player is does that mean he sucks at the sport? Just because Yngwie is arrogant makes him suck at the guitar? I think not.

Haha, nice one.

I never said they sucked at what they did because they were snobs/arrogant. I said that I, and many others avoid people like this, BECAUSE they are snobs/arrogant, not because they 'suck'- far from it- they are very good at what they do, but if they have a bad attitude, we don't want in.

Wow, that was hard to follow, wasn't it! :cool:

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Haha, nice one.

I never said they sucked at what they did because they were snobs/arrogant. I said that I, and many others avoid people like this, BECAUSE they are snobs/arrogant, not because they 'suck'- far from it- they are very good at what they do, but if they have a bad attitude, we don't want in.

Wow, that was hard to follow, wasn't it! :cool:

I said that because you where taking the side and agreeing with people who said that. :p: And also, because a persons has a bad attitude, "they have a bad attitude, we don't want in" how does that affect how their music is?

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
I said that because you where taking the side and agreeing with people who said that. :p: And also, because a persons has a bad attitude, "they have a bad attitude, we don't want in" how does that affect how their music is?

It doesn't. Usually. And not in Malmsteen's case. But I never said it did. I said that I would avoid his music, BECAUSE of his attitude, not because of his music, which isn't typically affected.

I'm clarifying here, because it seems to have been missed, but I am saying that I would not buy his music, nor follow the football player, nor buy from the store with the jerk salesman, NOT because they might have inadequate talent, but because they are jerks.

In Malmsteen's case, throughout that entire interview I linked, he was very pompous, and compared himself quite equally to the likes of Mozart, which he is certainly not of level-grounding in status! In justifying his case of the 2002 "Unleash the Fury' incident, he said that he was VERY drunk, and had just woken up from being drunk, and a lady had thrown a bucket of ice-cold water on him. Her story was his derogatory words towards homosexuals (I'm not going to get started on this, haha), and so she threw a GLASS of water. Irregardless of the volume of water, he went on to say that he was justified in abusing her and whatnot, i.e. 'Yngwie: It really ****ing happened. I was angry. I don?t know about you but if you were drinking crazy hard and someone poured a bucket of ice water over your head, how would you react? You would get pissed.' - he must have forgotten the answer he gave prior where he and his band were disturbing (to the extreme) the other passengers in the 1st class flight.

Anyway, I remain justified in avoiding his music because I don't agree with his arrogant/pompous attitude. He might be good in his guitar work- very good, but I don't care. Not one iota.

emg77
10-31-2005, 09:18 PM
i love yngwie... i hate his scaloped neck that makes it ezier to play :(

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
It doesn't. Usually. And not in Malmsteen's case. But I never said it did. I said that I would avoid his music, BECAUSE of his attitude, not because of his music, which isn't typically affected.

I disagree. If I like their music, I dont give a **** what their personal life is. They obviously dont judge me, so I wont judge them. I listen to music with my ears, not with my opinions of people.

I'm clarifying here, because it seems to have been missed, but I am saying that I would not buy his music, nor follow the football player, nor buy from the store with the jerk salesman, NOT because they might have inadequate talent, but because they are jerks.
Anyway, I remain justified in avoiding his music because I don't agree with his arrogant/pompous attitude. He might be good in his guitar work- very good, but I don't care. Not one iota.

Once again, not buying his music simply because he is arrogant is ridiculous. And yes, if a salesman had an item that would be highly propitious to me, and it was not overpriced, even if he was a jerk, I would buy it, why? because my need comes over someones personal behavior.

blackbelt
10-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I disagree. If I like their music, I dont give a **** what their personal life is. They obviously dont judge me, so I wont judge them. I listen to music with my ears, not with my opinions of people.

Once again, not buying his music simply because he is arrogant is ridiculous. And yes, if a salesman had an item that would be highly propitious to me, and it was not overpriced, even if he was a jerk, I would buy it, why? because my need comes over someones personal behavior.

Propitious wasn't the word you wanted there, but anyway.

You listen with your ears- that's lovely. Do you vote on a President's character at all? Does that influence your decision? Or maybe you don't vote at all...since your needs overcome someone's personal behaviour. Right?

It's not at all ridiculous to avoid Malmsteen's music because of his attitude. It's called a boycott. And it stands for a reason. I like to think society still holds some values dear, and arrogance isn't yet one of them, thank goodness. If Malmsteen is going to be arrogant, and have a bad attitude, I'm not going to support him. Just like President Clinton and his sex affair- that bloke was meant to be the President. Can you imagine the children who heard about that sex scandal (and many other stories involving many other people- simply used Clinton as a quick illustration), and how they would have been affected, since he was a role model? Malmsteen is also a role model, and kids will buy his music, and read up on him. They'll see he's a jerk to many people, but that's okay, right? So long as your needs are met!

We wouldn't want to incringe on your freedom...just like you shouldn't incringe on mine, then. I have a right to boycott his music, BECAUSE of his attitude. I can tell you now though, that if you somehow encountered Malmsteen, he'd judge you. We all judge each other. It's human nature to do so. It happens sporadically. But anyway, enough with my philosophical rant.

My point is clear: Malmsteen's bad attitude will afford my boycott of his music. It's that simple! I don't hate the man, but I hate his attitude. And he's now a role model to thousands of people out there- what does that tell you? That you can get good at guitar, and use that to abuse people, and belittle others for your own selfish good?

Oh right. Freedoms. Where's the freedom of the silenced voices?

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Propitious wasn't the word you wanted there, but anyway.

Actually it was. ;) Do you only know the word by the definition on dictionary.com? Seems as you do.

You listen with your ears- that's lovely. Do you vote on a President's character at all? Does that influence your decision? Or maybe you don't vote at all...since your needs overcome someone's personal behaviour. Right?
The president is not a musician, I dont base my opinion on him as I do a musician, whose sole purpose to me is my listening pleasure. Considering I dont know him in person, I won't judge him as if I do.[/quote]

It's not at all ridiculous to avoid Malmsteen's music because of his attitude.
This is just an opinion, I state mine, you state yours, you think I'm wrong, I think you're wrong and it continues. But does that mean I should say nothing? I have every right to voice my opinion as you do to disregard them. You dont have to agree with me after what I say, but that doesn't mean I should say nothing.

It's called a boycott. And it stands for a reason. I like to think society still holds some values dear, and arrogance isn't yet one of them, thank goodness. If Malmsteen is going to be arrogant, and have a bad attitude, I'm not going to support him. Just like President Clinton and his sex affair- that bloke was meant to be the President. Can you imagine the children who heard about that sex scandal (and many other stories involving many other people- simply used Clinton as a quick illustration), and how they would have been affected, since he was a role model? Malmsteen is also a role model, and kids will buy his music, and read up on him. They'll see he's a jerk to many people, but that's okay, right? So long as your needs are met!
Sure you can boycott, and sure I can state my opinions on why I disagree. Seeing as you favor drawing these long arguements on....

We wouldn't want to incringe on your freedom...just like you shouldn't incringe on mine, then. I have a right to boycott his music, BECAUSE of his attitude. I can tell you now though, that if you somehow encountered Malmsteen, he'd judge you. We all judge each other. It's human nature to do so. It happens sporadically. But anyway, enough with my philosophical rant.
Hey vocabulary God, INCRINGE IS NOT A WORD. But back to the point, sure, and I have given you reasons already why I disagree.

My point is clear: Malmsteen's bad attitude will afford my boycott of his music. It's that simple! I don't hate the man, but I hate his attitude. And he's now a role model to thousands of people out there- what does that tell you? That you can get good at guitar, and use that to abuse people, and belittle others for your own selfish good?
I dont understand how you say he is a role model considering the fact that you think he is arrogant and whatnot. And since when am I belittling you? It's called disagreeing.

Oh right. Freedoms. Where's the freedom of the silenced voices?

Since when did I ever tell you to shut up?

Basically it all comes down to opinion as it always does. I disagree whoopdee do, you disagree whoopdee do. Why are we still arguing? Obviously noone here is getting swayed to one side.

AngilasGuy
10-31-2005, 09:46 PM
So if someone has a really bad attitude, we have to ignore this in light of their other achievements?

Hes right, if you want another example... Oscar Schindler was an asshole, but he did great things.

I wonder what his new album is like though? That can be the decider, I guess. Report back, people!

His new album is VERY good, I'm not too big on his vocals (Like I said before, I'm all about Graham Bonnet and Joe Lynn Turner), but his instrumentals are top notch.

HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO MOZART

Actually in his full shred videos (I, II, & III, especially III, the classical styling), he specifically says nobody has even come close to even parallel the greats, he has great respect for the great composers, he's not comparing himself to mozart, he is saying how he writes his music is similar to how they wrote, hes not comparing himself to the quality work of the composers.

DiGiTaLiS
10-31-2005, 09:54 PM
i don't like much of his music but i'm not going to call him arrogant or an asshole when i don't even know the guy

AngilasGuy
10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Yngwie once saved 23 children from a burning orphanage, then beat up the arsonists, then he donated a million dollars to rebuild it, and the children rejoyced.
....Then he unleashed the fury on his guitar and the lord did grin.

True story, true story...

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Yngwie once saved 23 children from a burning orphanage, then beat up the arsonists, then he donated a million dollars to rebuild it, and the children rejoyced.
....Then he unleashed the fury on his guitar and the lord did grin.

True story, true story...

You know where that is going. :D

edit: odd, it's not showing up in my sig. :confused:

AngilasGuy
10-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Omg, I have been teh sigz0red! I gotta mark that on my calender, this is a new achievement. MAKE IT WORK DAMNIT :p

Beckerism
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Actually you haven't, because it's not working, or can you guys see it and I cant. :confused:

edit: ohh, see it, came with with 7th refresh. :p:

Resiliance
11-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Resi, do you think that if an artist actually dosen't have a soul, then their playing can be without soul?
Not dissing yngwie, I just thought it would be an amusing question.

Soul doesn't exist. It's just a handy thing to say when people are feeling self-righteous.

public property
11-01-2005, 06:06 AM
My soul disagrees with your existence, biatch!

Freepower
11-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Just read this at [url] and the fact that HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO MOZART, and Van Gogh- what the heck. Mozart was a musical genius. Enough said.

Er, in that quote at least he didnt actually consider himself equal in any way to mozart, he was using mozart's superiority to support his view of the voice as an instrument.

Not saying "Welllll, OBVIOUSLY im as clever as MOZART! We both write voices as instruments, dont we?"

Unless of course you have any other reason to feel he's arrogant. *shrug*

Soul doesn't exist. It's just a handy thing to say when people are feeling self-righteous.

Especially when they need to find a reason for claiming superiority over every harmless animal that minds it's own ****ing business and doesnt make us breath car fumes.

Hot Pants
11-01-2005, 10:47 PM
why do i hate Yngwie??

he sounds like he swallowed a book titled "when not to play fast". it just gets ridiculous.

he is also rather arrogant, which i find to be the most annoying thing about a person.

his music I find, is rather repetative in its style. i bought g3 months ago and i havent been able to listen to an entire song by him in that time. except for "far beyond the sun" because someone told me he smashes his guitar at the end.

And his tone is absolutely terrible. To me anyway.

but i can't really judge him because i havent got to know him yet have I??

AngilasGuy
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
honestly, the guitar smashing bothers me 100X more than his attitude...

gimme_fuel_89
11-02-2005, 05:22 AM
No, the worst is when he does those guitar swings and those ridiculous poser kicks like 50 times in one song.

Resiliance
11-02-2005, 07:25 AM
^It'd be poser if he couldn't play guitar. Do you even know what poser means?

How the hell is THAT poser? :rolleyes: It's called putting on a show.

wil
11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
No one can question his ability on the instrument, he took guitar to a =n entirely new level- Imagine being back in the early 1980s and HEARING rising Force for the first time- John 5- i know he's a loon and used to play for Marylin Manson but he's a hell of a player- stated that when he first heard Yngwie he couldnt believe it, and has never forgotten it, and i know what he means.
Aside from the usual repetitive arguments concerning his music or 'compositions' as he calls them, I dont have a problem with his playing.
I find it rather embarassing to watch him- especially in his overweight period- doing high kicks and spinning the guitar around, but it doesn't annoy me. For God's sake, Hendrix did all kinds of stage acrobatics, as did Van Halen, as does Angus Young and Pete Townshend, things that i can take or leave, the music is what's important. Look at Steve Vai, he said he concentrates on what his face looks like when he's playing, watch the footage of him playing I kNOW Youre Here , those expressions, no-one ever seems to rip it out of him for that, the same goes for Satch, those howling things he does as he squeals and raises those pinch harmonics up and up with his whammy bar.
Iron Maiden are one of my favourite bands, and would it ruin a live performance by them if the bassist 'machine guns' the audience with his bass? No. Would i ever be tempted to do it? No. But am i in Iron Maiden? I think you see where this is going.

I dont agree with Yngwie's arrogance, but this could well be misrepresentation by the media. I've watched video lessons of him where he comes across as pretty down to earth, he even says he's jetlagged in one of them and admits when he fluffs up a lick, he lectures us on learning about chordal harmony- R 3 5- and learning all the arpeggios for sweep patterns. If Yngwie was half as pompous as he's made out to be, then he'd say ' I'm not giving away my secrets.' To be honest, he knows that his playing doesn't involve secrets, that sweeping is part of the woodwrok as far as guitar goes, but he still openly gives away this information.]

The guy went busking in London- a great video- and you all seem to think he hasn't got a sense of humour? He named his most recent studio album after the incident that has immortalised him as a bastard. I'm sure much worse things have gone in other bands we hold so dear. He readily admits that he was ' sh!tfaced' when 'unleash the focking fury' happened. Think about it, your'e in your twenties, you have been unanimously crowned as the 'greatest guitarist ever'- which Yngwie was called for a time'-things like that are gonna happen, and i cant say for sure that if i were in that postion that my ego wouldn't spiral out of control.

As far as his not diversifying goes, his music is actually a lot more varied than people make out- It's not all good, but it definitely aint all the same-, he's essentially a rock player, some of his riffs are amazing and surprisingly heavy, he's spawned a million imitators. What do we want Yngwie to do, release a rap metal album, or a grunge album, or a nu-metal sound? If he did then you lot would complain further still. It's like with Eric Clapton, people call his late 60s/70s playing his best, then when he does something else, the 'purists' disown him, he releases more commercial stuff and gets slated for it, and all people want him to do is go back to playing overdriven blues solos again, even though at the time, an equal numbe of people criticised his playing as overblown, boring etc.

It seems to me, that players who blaze a trail are victims of their own success, Hendrix died before we could see which direction he went in,, Zeppelin and the Beatles split before a great deal of rot set in. Yngwie is what he is, he LOVES classical music, he doesn't like many other guitarists, but he doesn't hate everyone as you might think, he has a great deal of respect for the 'tasteful' guitarists, Blackmore, Brian May, Gary Moore, Clapton; players whose technique isnt a patch on his. So he slags off his imitators and says that grunge and rap metal were horrible in terms of music. So he rips off Bach and Paganini, he still gets my vote.

He puts on a great live show, id much rather see him than watch some shoe gazer shred his socks off but seem totally uninvolved.

As far as the whole 'soul' debate goes, Pagannini lost his to the devil didnt he? But hang on, all you shredders love Pagannini...

YOu bloody hypocrites.

Freepower
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
He puts on a great live show, id much rather see him than watch some shoe gazer shred his socks off but seem totally uninvolved.

*Fareri*

As far as the whole 'soul' debate goes, Pagannini lost his to the devil didnt he? But hang on, all you shredders love Pagannini...

YOu bloody hypocrites.

I have to say, it seems very like a case of "bad publicity is good publicity" to me. And we love him because he made great music. How hypocritical of us. :(

Resiliance
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
^It was a joke, chillout bitch.

For once wil is right, lay off, or you'll have to debate with me :D

Dreadnought
11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
lol Yngwie kicks ass, I love 'im

Karky
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
hating him cuz he is fat and stuff is okay, but u cant hate his music for that.
Im not a huge fan of him because IMO the only thing he can do is play REALLY fast, and he is very good at that. but i like guitar playing with a little bit more feel and stuff too it.
stuff thats not just shredded right off a scale if u know what i mean
I guess the main reason is that i dont like it when u shred a guitar so fast it sounds like a nintendo.

I do like some of his lics and rifs, like the Rising Force lick thing and Opus 5

Bilzzard_of_Ozz
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't hate him. He's ignorant and a jackass though. But he can play so who cares.

Blackened-World
11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
sounds 2 classical

that is probably the most rediculous thing ive ever heard

public property
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
^ Yeah it dosen't make sense in so many ways....but then again anyone who uses '2' instead of 'two' obviously hasn't taken the time to think things through :p:

Karky
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
or maybe they were just in a hurry typing?:P

Resiliance
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Like it actually makes a difference wether you type "2" or "two"... Only two characters extra.

Freepower
11-02-2005, 06:58 PM
At least he gave a logical reason for saying WHY he didnt like it. Makes a nice change.

gimme_fuel_89
11-03-2005, 12:17 AM
^It'd be poser if he couldn't play guitar. Do you even know what poser means?

How the hell is THAT poser? :rolleyes: It's called putting on a show.

Yeah, you are right, but that's not the point.

What I should've said, was that it just looks so incredibly gay when he does it in his butt-hugging black leather pants and unbuttoned shirt that exposes all but 435456456 pounds of flab.
He also uses it way too often. Maybe the first one or two times it's like 'yeah, good on ya', but then it just gets extremely irritating.

AngilasGuy
11-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeah, you are right, but that's not the point.

What I should've said, was that it just looks so incredibly gay when he does it in his butt-hugging black leather pants and unbuttoned shirt that exposes all but 435456456 pounds of flab.
He also uses it way too often. Maybe the first one or two times it's like 'yeah, good on ya', but then it just gets extremely irritating.

Oh man, you can't diss the pants, those rock...
I was Yngwie for halloween, Black tight leather pants, Leppard print jacket, ruffled shirt, and mirror-faced aviator sunglasses.

You can't diss the outfit my friend, I felt damn cool in it, haha.

wil
11-03-2005, 07:33 AM
^It was a joke, chillout bitch.

For once wil is right, lay off, or you'll have to debate with me :D

For once? cheers.

Resiliance
11-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Pff, we've had our differences. Like you don't know :p:

pentagram_man63
11-03-2005, 01:12 PM

:haha :haha :haha UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!!!!!

what a legend.. i now see how arrogant he is but that made me ****ing laugh!!! and as people say his music sounds cool 'neoclassical shredding' but it is all the same, even though you cant deny he has some skill. i still like rising force though.

:cheers:

shredfan
11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
^ Yeah it dosen't make sense in so many ways....but then again anyone who uses '2' instead of 'two' obviously hasn't taken the time to think things through :p:

Just the same as anyone who uses 'two' instead of 'too' obviously hasn't taken time to think things through. ;)

Axegrinder#9
11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
jesus ****ing christ - lookit you guys still picking at this thread, I suggest any of you retards who hate Yngwie and justify it and such - please meet him in person and say that to his face, that way you get to tell him what you really feel, to the one person to whom it will matter (being Yngwie), while he gets to kick your ass right back to the hole you crept out from

Axegrinder#9
11-03-2005, 03:43 PM
For once? cheers.

wow I'm actually beginning to like you

AngilasGuy
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Throughout the entire interview, you can see he's very arrogant. That's fine- so are a lot of people, but combine that with the outburstus in say, 2002, and the fact that HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO MOZART, and Van Gogh- what the heck. Mozart was a musical genius. Enough said.

Ah here we go, I found it on the video:
(When asked if classical music influenced him)
Yngwie: Yes, Paganini, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, all the violin concertos, uh, some of the Bach stuff. It's quite technical, but its always very beautiful, and its- I mean I wouldn't put myself in the same level as them of course, but, those are sort of my role models when it comes to composition and improvising and playing.

PooKoo
11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
will you guys just shut up about yngwie, he is great. He is a good composer, he is definantly bi polar. He does not like donuts. He plays a mean gittar. He likes classical music. He is, or at least was fat. Yes, thats all true. But this thread has gone on too long. Yngwie is just cool, at least to me. If you dont wanna listen to him, dont bitch about him. He never said, my music is better then yours, listen to it. Well, he probably did, but even if you do listen to his music, usually try not to listen to him.

tremonti91
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
So...He obviously isnt saying hes better than Bach...right...? or am i just reading this all wrong? By the way, i still cant understand why people dont like his music...he is so damn good, no one can deny that

5150_Fan
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't no how anyone couldn't like him. I'd like to see the people that don't like him pull off the riffs that he dose!!! He's one of the best!!!

AngilasGuy
11-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Haha.. I forgot about a thing yngwie said in one of his videos... You guys who hate yngwie for the attitude, blame Blackmore.

"I-I don't think my classical influence came from Ritchie, what Ritchie did to me was more like uh... you know uh... influenced me in different ways you know like uh... being like a real mean guy or something you know, hahaaha, naw naw, but uh, yea he was just a big impact on me like as a person I guess"

Ankou
11-04-2005, 05:04 AM
I really want to see Yngwie in a guitar battle with Michael Angelo.

mr_clapton
11-04-2005, 05:33 AM
so you basically just want a bunch of notes coming at you left right and centre?

wil
11-04-2005, 06:32 AM
Even if Yngwie says he's better than Bach- which i dont ever think he's had the audacity to say-, i know it isn't true, so I just take it with a pinch of salt.
Perhaps he is a bit arrogant- he concedes that he's not influenced by any other guitarists, only violinists and classical composers-, but saying you like his music and buying his CDs does not mean you buy into this arrogance too.
The only reason we know yngwie- and the only reason he is able to stand on his soapbox spouting his occasional arrogance and pearls of wisdom- is because of his music, and that is how i judge him, thus, however repetitive and imitated his style has become, he's a hell of a guitarist, virtuosic, exciting(something of a rarity!) and he actually does decent compositions.

Freepower
11-04-2005, 07:28 AM
^ yup. And imo, not being influenced by other guitarists is a good thing, other instruments lead to very interesting preformers.

Vai hears noises in his head, Shawn Lane was piano and violin influenced, Holdsworth brass players.

Not that im saying you should take guitar into consideration just to sound original, but when you do actually consider other instruments it adds a whole new dimension to your playing.

public property
11-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Which begs the question, what was mr.powers and his techno future dance music influenced by ;)

Freepower
11-04-2005, 09:56 AM
^ awwwww, someone listened to that! :D

Um, rusty cooley, MAB, Shawn lane, my own chinese-styled sweep picking, the berzerker, marty friedman, mike shinoda from linkin park, and a healthy dose of Orbital.

But mostly my diseased brain. Speaking of diseased brains, can you get up some audio or vids of full compositions by you? I like your style and it would be nice to have more decent shred on UG. :)

OnlytheLonely
11-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Aside from his awesome playing, I like him just to see his arrogance. Its kinda funny. And how he still does those karate kicks even though he is fat.

AngilasGuy
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
^ yea, it used to be cool in the 80's when he could kick up as high as his head, and kicked guitar picks into the audience, but nowadays, well... Enough is enough, hah, we all get old and.. well.. Yngwie is past his prime when it comes to kicks.

PooKoo
11-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh i love the kicks.

Cathedral
11-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Actually he has grown up a lot since the 80's/90's and he's lost a LOT of weight if you've seen his latest promo shots.

Truth, he was interviewed in Guitar Buyer a month or two ago and was looking a lot slimmer. His attitude has come much more down to earth too.

j1mi_h3ndrix
11-05-2005, 05:01 PM
because hes an arrogant asshole

SnowballofDoom
11-05-2005, 05:10 PM
because hes an arrogant asshole

Whew, good thing you posted that, I was afraid this thread was starting to get the same responses over and over.

Backstabber89
11-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Yeah yngwie rocks!! but he's kind o gay.....

mr_clapton
11-07-2005, 04:55 AM
^ hey your allowed to be gay and rock ever heard of freddy mercury in a literal sence though

all you guys saying yngwie is repetitive in his solos get this, all his solos are improvised he doesnt write them out. You try going into a recording solo do 15 songs each of them 1 or 2 takes on a solo and then moving on, i bet you will sound a bit repetitive too.

guitarcaw
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Yngwie is one of my many guitar heros but in the article, in one of the last paragraphs when he talks about Vai, he sounds kind of gay
"He is a sweetheart " I guess it may be me but I don't go around calling my friends "sweethearts"

mustafallica
11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
ppl dont like him cuz they cant play as fast as he can, or creat what he created, they say he only can play fast,
what about songs like blitzkrieg, trilogy suit, sorrow, black star, those songs rock, they are amazing, they even made my friend who lkes rap like metal music, hes an artist, and the most thing i like about him is the classical sound he always uses, and hes great

Blackened-World
11-07-2005, 08:13 PM

yngwie does NOT steal "ALL HIS RIFFS" from bach. he may have used some melody's like the beginning of black star or even live playing the bouree but needles to say yngwie could never write a song like bach. comparing yngwie to bach is impossible. yngwie doesnt come damn near close to being in the same region that bach is in when composing.

if yngwie "shredded like that" in the 17th century, he would be laughed at and mocked. there is alot more thought involved when composing baroque style music than running up and down a harmonic minor scale and using diminished thirds as modulation

Resiliance
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
^Haha at that quote.

I guess Jazz standards are out then! :)

#1 nirvana fan
11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
its too reppetitive

nomadic_sinner
11-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I dont agree with this at all i just thought it was funny, i like yngwie's playing cause hes just so damn fast and if you listen to stuff that he's featured in like dio's version of aerosmith's "sing for the moment" he shreds through metal riffs that arent neoclassical once so ever. and correct if im wrong but didnt yngwie sort-of invent sweep picking? :cheers:

public property
11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
uh...no he didn't its like tapping, someone was doing it long before it was made popular.

nomadic_sinner
11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
^ i also have the g3 tour live from denver DVD and yngwie is rather fat but he is pretty old and he still moves pretty easily.

nomadic_sinner
11-10-2005, 08:06 AM
ahh gotcha. thanx

Axegrinder#9
11-10-2005, 12:15 PM
and correct if im wrong but didnt yngwie sort-of invent sweep picking? :cheers:

I dunno public_property, and I am quite sure the concept of rakes did exist before sweeping, but I'm pretty damn sure that Yngwie pioneered the consistent use of sweep-picked arppegios - either him or Frank Gambale, though I'd be inclined to say that Gambale has far greater mastery over sweep picking than Yngwie.

infact Yngwie borrowed the idea of sweep picking to fashion "economy picking" which I doubt anybody did before him. but as far as sweeping giant arppegios go - the only ones I've heard Yngwie use have been the 5-string harmonic minor sweeps, and very rarely the 6 stringed version. He more commonly uses the 3 stringed diminshed sweeps or the 2 string descending/ascending swept minor/major arps

Freepower
11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
^ gambale has always said that before him, people only had small swept licks and the idea of doing extended sections was seen as impossible. Though i'd be intruiged if there was more beforehand.

Doesnt classical technique advocate a straight fall onto the next string when it ends on a downstroke? Cant say where i heard that, i forget, but still...i thought id ask.

Axegrinder#9
11-10-2005, 04:34 PM
^ well classical guitar is played fingerstyle so the idea of a downstroke is non-existent - if you're referring to violin bowing techniques, well then yes, at least for executing arppegios

Freepower
11-11-2005, 05:01 AM
^ perhaps when the thumb is involved for basslines? I have no idea, like i said, so forgive me if im wrong again.

xxgenocide98xx
11-11-2005, 05:11 AM
I duno, I don't hate Yngwie.

I actually like him quite a bit, hes one of my favorite all-out shredders. I think that his songs have more of a structure or are more musical in the sense of rock/metal than alot of other shredders so I identify more with it (being a metalhead)

He has a great technique, There are moments where he is sloppy (some live stuff) but honestly he is one of the cleanest players I've ever heard. Hes got a great vibrato and his tone is unique as hell, as is his style. When you hear Yngwie, you KNOW its yngwie. Very distinctive.

Sure, he might wank a scale, but its just his style. He plays his licks just like anyone else does. No matter who you are or what you do, you still get stuck in some kind rut doing something. Everyone will repeat themselves sometime. I'll admit its harder to find his later works anything less than repetitive, but overall the Yngwie experience, musically, is pretty good. I enjoy the power-metal esque backing with the shred. The drums are simplistic, but the bass, keys and vocals are always excellent..

IMO there isnt much of a reason to hate Yngwie. If you take him so seriously as to dislike him because he comes off as arrogant then you should lighten up a bit. So what if a guy is cocky? Thats how people are. I'm listening to the Iron Maiden song "Prowler" right now, it sounds cocky. Do I hate iron maiden for making an in-your-face song? no. Do I hate em for having that attitude? No. I think it kicks ass.

Its all about your mood and your point of view. If you're looking for a laid back vitruoso, Yngwie isnt your guy. If you come into a situation basically hating him for no reason, no **** you're going to dislike him. He HAS been a gateway for shred into more of a mainstream form and he also inspires TONS of people to progress musically.. If you take a look at a lead metal guitarist, most of the time his/her influences will list Yngwie or someone similar (another pioneer) You can't HATE a guy for knowing what he likes, what he doesnt like.. What sounds good to him, and what doesn't. So what if he says someone sounds like ****, thats his opinion! He was asked and he gave them a truthful reply! So what if he is alittle arrogant and he wants to unleash the fockin fury on your ass, Its all comedic anyway! Bring it on I say.

Its all trivial anyway. Some people like green, some like red, some like blue. They're all colors, they arent any greater/worse than others, they're just different.

xxgenocide98xx
11-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Just read this at http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/yngwie05.htm :

Okay, idiot. Maybe, JUST MAYBE he was making an example? saying "My eyes are blue, like that car *points at blue car" means my eyes are blue like the color of the car, not that I am a car. Yngwie says "When so and so does this, they do it this way" It means that he thinks that is the right way to do it, therefore he does it that way himself? Perhaps he ISNT SAYING THAT HE IS SOME MUSICAL GENIOUS/GOD like you only wish he would be made out to be.

His songs are very good, but they all sound the same, and the blur of flurried notes makes for a repetitive sound, a harsh sound at that. And the others were right- G3 in Denver, he totally intruded on the style of music, doing the same thing.

You havent listened to enough Yngwie. If you honestly say ALL YNGWIE SONGS SOUND THE SAME you have problems. He has a natural progression from each album to the next. I'll admit that some of his later guitar solos sound wankish, but thats about it. Alot of his early/middle stuff was quite inventive. The denver DVD is a horrible moment in history and basically one of the only things people can use against yngwie in any kind of arguement.

I'm not a guitar god. Far from it. I've only been playing 5 years. But that doesn't negate my opinion, nor my sense of musical taste, nor my ability to pick good from crap.

Thanks for going off on a tangent.

Malmsteen is arrogant, and I don't need to have met him or known him to pick this up. The people who have been calling us all profane names for saying Malmsteen is arrogant when we don't know him need a reality check. So does Malmsteen. He's not the king of Sweden, for crying out loud.

I never heard Yngwie proclaim his leadership over Sweden (Opeth are clearly the kings of sweden.) nor have I really seen any reason why you guys should call Yngwie overly arrogant. Personally its all a disposition in my eyes, So many people dislike Yngwie that they find every opportunity to hate the everloving christ out of him for next to no reason. For every 'bad' experience with yngwie I've heard of DOZENS of great ones. You guys see one-off events and take off running with em, acting like Yngwie walks around all day telling people he is better than them and bashing every other shredder with a megaphone. You guys don't have the slightest clue.

Grow up, yngwie-bashers.

Edit:

And I just thought, 99% of the people saying "YNGWIE IS BETTER THAN _____" Are the idiot kiddies who proclaim their fanboyhood to Yngwie, not Yngwie himself. Most of the 'arrogance' comes from his adoring fans who are under-exposed to Shred and/or good guitar playing. Just like people who run into the Metal forum saying Metallica ****IN RULZ MAN AND EVERYTHING ELSE = TEH FAG.

from what I see Yngwie has alot of respect for other musicians. I've actually seen more BASHING right here on this forum of everyone than Yngwie himself. In interviews with yngwie where he critiques mundane guitarists (such as slash and kirk hammet) who would be booed out of this forum he doesn't really beat on them horribly, whereas here if you post about Kirk Hammett all you hear is E PENT SCALES N00B HE NEVER LEAVES THE SCALE LOLLERSKATES and SLASH IS A ****IN HOMO ZOMG VAI = TEH WIN NOT SLASH.

He doesn't ever really go all out saying "This person licks my ****ing dick" he just says "Oh, the song is okay but I don't like the vibrato" or "I don't think they approached this section of the piece the best way possible"

most of this crap comes from being a decent yngwie fan, meeting people who have had experience, chats with the guy, etc.

Now he is pretty chilled out, down to earth and he still rocks, so I duno why so many people hate him.

Punk as atticus
11-12-2005, 05:45 PM
is malmsteen even married/dating anyone, let alone have kids? htf old is he?! i don't like the guy because he can be a stuck up asshole prick, and i find his music to be quite repetitive, he just doesn't have that creative spark he had in rising force.

Resiliance
11-12-2005, 05:47 PM
^He has a wife who is a model: April Malmsteen.

http://yngwie.org/gallery/images/AprilMalmsteen.jpg

AngilasGuy
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Eh April is a bit.. odd..

I have a video of Amber (Yngwie's ex-wife) trying to teach yngwie malmsteen technique (she doesn't play guitar)
And shes a bit of.. a.. well a bimbo.

Axegrinder#9
11-12-2005, 06:30 PM
oohh... Malmsteen's been married twice? I thought he was married only once - to April Malmsteen.

so is there any interesting history behind the song "Amber Dawn"?

ZoSo183
11-12-2005, 06:40 PM
wannabe of blackmore(or whatever the guys name is)

AngilasGuy
11-12-2005, 11:44 PM
he's nothing like blackmore.. jesus...
Malmsteens ****ed up with women I swear...

Axegrinder#9
11-13-2005, 02:43 AM
wannabe of blackmore(or whatever the guys name is)

for that statement this is what I have to say to you:

**** yourself you dumb bastard

Gabel
11-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I dont hate him, he is swedish!

beckergod
11-14-2005, 01:13 AM
i dont hate yngwie, but i just believe his music gets real repetative.

platypus
11-14-2005, 04:57 AM
Yngwie has the right to be arrogant, he has perfect pitch, unlike many shredders.

led zeppelin90
11-18-2005, 07:54 PM
As of right now, it's tied all 33.33% haha. I don't like Yngwie because a) I hate his playing b) he's an asshole and c) he sucks (big deal he can play fast)

yet he can outshred you anytime......

musicftm
11-19-2005, 12:46 AM
yeah

bucky_2300
11-19-2005, 01:34 PM
While googling "yngwie" for images, I found some rather interesting ones.

http://www.yngwie-megafan.org/using/Thanks.jpg
http://www.yngwie-megafan.org/2002mat/YJMmsg02.jpg (link'd because it's kind of large)

Pompous ass? Not completely, anyway. Writing thank-you notes to a Japanese fan site seems like a pretty nice thing to do to me. ;)

EDIT: Plus, the thought of Yngwie writing "Lots of love!! *star*" is pretty hilarious, given his rockstar image. :haha

markenator
11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
i like yngwie (my title) , and i like that concerto stuff its pretty cool in my books. He can be a bit of an ass sometimes but thats not what i think about when i hear his music. YNGWIE ROCKS

Axegrinder#9
11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
for the next retarded motherfvcker who cites some dumb reason and says that he hates Yngwie, I guarantee you that if I ever come across you in real life, I'll castrate you and make you eat your own balls.

PooKoo
11-19-2005, 07:03 PM
How bout we close this thread? Its gone on way to long and its based solely on opinions, which lead only to flaming, as the internet is not ripe with intelligent discussions.

Btw, im listening to Yngwie right now. He pwnz.

TheConsequencer
12-02-2005, 09:21 PM
He is an extremely skiled guitarist, yes it can be a little repetitive but it still is awesome. He is a very arrogant person, and he sounds like elvis when he talks but still good outweighs bad by a somewhat decent amount

SnowballofDoom
12-02-2005, 09:36 PM
This thread was dead! :cry:

Beckerism
12-02-2005, 09:46 PM
This thread was dead! :cry:

No kidding. :devil:

Metallicat251
12-03-2005, 03:54 PM
I think Yngwie is kind of a prik, but I love his music. I jsut saw him live last night and it was ****ign incredble! SO i love em, but i can see why people would hate him

jackson_marshal
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
yngwie is the man

he jus eats too many donuts lol

UNLEASH THE FURY!

fleabass
12-05-2005, 11:24 AM
His music has not evolved and changed unlike the other big shredders Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Oh and hes arrogant and fat

HelpImARock
12-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Yngwie 's playing out of all the shred artists, I find, to be the most uninspired. I can listen to about 5 minutes and say wow, he's good. Then the next song comes on and it's the exact same thing.

Plus he's a dick.

Mad Marius
12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ipalatt/die_thread_die.jpg

eXor
12-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Oh and hes arrogant and fat

yeahh, and I hate satriani because he's bald and I hate Vai because he has long hair, and MAB can't shred because he's ugly :no:

wil
12-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Yngwie is awesome- ive seen like, half a dozen guitar magazine lessons with him in that last few months, hes a selfless player and gives out his information- hes not cryptic like ' i cant unleash the fury of mystical shredding powers on mere mortals', hes a very clever and nice guy-

Freepower
12-06-2005, 10:43 AM
^ i think he's grown up a lot, from what i've heard.

enfilade
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
amazing guitarist, but the bottom line is, his music sucks ass.

dwad
12-06-2005, 02:56 PM
let me tell yall something whoever dissed yngwie malmsteen on this poll is stupid and just going along with what everyone else is saying. so what if he is a little chubby i bet your A** can't play like him. so what if he has songs based on composers. the composers started everything. so before you can talk about someone sucking here's what you do. step 1: take a tape recorder and tape yourself playing.
step 2: listen to it.
step 3: now compare it to yngwie and i guarentee his sounds better
step 4: if it does sound better than good job i salute you

guywithaguitar1
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Sure the guy can play faster than the speed of sound but still. It sounds like ****.

slippy456
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
i cant pronounce his name thats why i hate him

PooKoo
12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Can we close this? Im sick of stupid people thinking yngwie is pure speed. Listen to music hes actually done then shut up. He has an amazing sense of melody.

AngilasGuy
12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
3 words....
Icarus.
Dream.
Suite.

.....Opus 4 :p
If you listen to that and still say Yngwie has no sense of melody, you need to die, no, seriously, because you're obviously braindead.

PooKoo
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
^thank you.

Freepower
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Its hilarious that people see malmsteen as being all about speed, when clearly they havent heard someone REALLY tear it up without concern for melody...

PooKoo
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
i wish i could go back to those days....

wil
12-07-2005, 07:13 AM
You guys are wrong.

wil
12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Yngwie's stuff is NEVER all about speed, OK, they might be classically 'inspired' but listen to the themes he builds up in his songs- Far Beyond the Sun, Black Star, Ill See the Light Tonight, Vengeance, I Am a Viking, Icarus Dream suite etc- The guy uses some serious metal riffs- he sometimes only uses them a couple of times when id sell my soul to write a riff like that and would probably base an enitre song around it.
Repetitive? I dont think so, he has a STYLE, it might not sound Authentic, but he can sure as hell play the blues when he wants.
Some people just dont listen.
Yngwie was one of the most exciting things to ever happen to the guitar, the way he spawned a million poor imitators is not his fault, its a testament to his originality and ability.
I judghe him on his music, not his attitude or the way he represented and a lot of you are missing out on some great music and some great ideas by doing the opposite.

enfilade
12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
it depends what u rate a guitarist on, his art or his technique. guitarists judge on technique alot because they appretiate the work and effort behind what yngwie does and how much practice it would take to get that nearly that good, although lets not forget he has had 35 or more years to hon his craft, that is why u get all these guitarist's guitarist's, like vai satriani malmstean etc who are held in great esteem by some guitar players and ignored by everyone else because the reality of there music is being middle of the road instrumental rock or metal with some clever guitar work. if i want to listen to anything "clever" ill listen to dream theatre, or something progressive and intresting like that

misfits385
12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Becuase he's an asshole?

PooKoo
12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
it depends what u rate a guitarist on, his art or his technique. guitarists judge on technique alot because they appretiate the work and effort behind what yngwie does and how much practice it would take to get that nearly that good, although lets not forget he has had 35 or more years to hon his craft, that is why u get all these guitarist's guitarist's, like vai satriani malmstean etc who are held in great esteem by some guitar players and ignored by everyone else because the reality of there music is being middle of the road instrumental rock or metal with some clever guitar work. if i want to listen to anything "clever" ill listen to dream theatre, or something progressive and intresting like that

Do you even read what you say? Id tear the piss out of you for it but i cant understand it. Try using periods.

RustyGold
12-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I think Yngwie is using his kick ass personality to draw a larger fan base. No sarcasm intended. :cool: :) :D

Axegrinder#9
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
amazing guitarist, but the bottom line is, his music sucks ass.

I think the bottom line is that I'll give you a spoon so that you can eat my ass

TheUltimateSin
12-08-2005, 08:23 AM

Yeah um...I don't...I didn't..um..What??

And to you who keep bashing Yngwie: Guess who's famous? Like him or not, He got good enough to draw in huge crowds of people who love his music. I don't paricularly like him, but I don't go around trash-talking his playing or his music because I know he can play circles around me and his music is far superior to mine. He can uber-pwn me all day long. I don't see your names on the cover of cd's, nor do I see them up in lights at a concert setup. Hate him all you want, but when it gets down to it, Yngwie>you.

dwad
12-08-2005, 09:46 AM
3 words....
Icarus.
Dream.
Suite.

.....Opus 4 :p
If you listen to that and still say Yngwie has no sense of melody, you need to die, no, seriously, because you're obviously braindead.
amen that is so true man

dwad
12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
also listen to majestic blue or gaurdian angel if you don't think he is melodic

lessthanthree
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
yes he's technically brilliant,
yes he can play ragingly fast
yes he is excellent at musical theory
yes he is famous and i'm not
yes i can't play like him

yes it sounds like crap so what's the point?

08lambnj
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
ya but he is f****** good at what he does. No other guitarist can do what he does.

Freepower
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
^ Didnt, like, Vai, do what he did, for like, Alcawhassit?

wil
12-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Steve Vai learned all of Yngwie's Alcatrazz parts in a ridiculously short time, and while he says it took a while-probably about an hour knowing Vai- to get used to Yngwie's 'pick everything' technique, its a testament to Vais greatness and the fact that Yngwie is not the only man on earth capable of playing that way- He may have pioneered it, but Al Di Meola was recording before Yngwie and his picking technique is nothing short of immaculate- Compare Mediteranean Sundance to Yngwie's Acoustic G3 solo and you'll see who has the edge in that area...

Basically Yngwie's great, but that doesnt mean there arent other great players capable of similar things.

lessthanthree
12-09-2005, 06:47 AM
I worship Al Di Meola, he has taste, yngwie doesn't.

enfilade
12-09-2005, 07:35 AM
And to you who keep bashing Yngwie: Guess who's famous? Like him or not, He got good enough to draw in huge crowds of people who love his music. I don't paricularly like him, but I don't go around trash-talking his playing or his music because I know he can play circles around me and his music is far superior to mine. He can uber-pwn me all day long. I don't see your names on the cover of cd's, nor do I see them up in lights at a concert setup. Hate him all you want, but when it gets down to it, Yngwie>you.

like i said he's been playing for over 35 years.

off course he can play circles around me and most people, no-ones debating that.

all is said was his music sucks.

thats just my opinion.

guess what? you dont have to agree.

@zzasin
12-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Agreed

PooKoo
12-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Steve Vai learned all of Yngwie's Alcatrazz parts in a ridiculously short time, and while he says it took a while-probably about an hour knowing Vai- to get used to Yngwie's 'pick everything' technique, its a testament to Vais greatness and the fact that Yngwie is not the only man on earth capable of playing that way- He may have pioneered it, but Al Di Meola was recording before Yngwie and his picking technique is nothing short of immaculate- Compare Mediteranean Sundance to Yngwie's Acoustic G3 solo and you'll see who has the edge in that area...

Basically Yngwie's great, but that doesnt mean there arent other great players capable of similar things.

Thank you for not being an opinionated dick, like most people in this thread.
That made perfect sense.

JK82
12-10-2005, 03:50 PM
my friend showed his music to me because he knew i loved randy rhoads and i was quite impressed. lyrics/voice of it isnt that great and sometimes the music gets a bit TOO Classical for me but he did finish what randy kind of started with the neoclassical sound.

StevenS2k5
12-11-2005, 12:26 AM
sounds 2 classical

good guiatr player though :peace: :argue:

Shred is based on classical...

Axegrinder#9
12-11-2005, 03:42 AM
^ idiot

wil
12-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Yngwie is one of the few shredders that i can play to a non guitarist and they will enjoy some of it... Everyone likes classical music to some extent, and seriously, i know hes become a bit TOO c opied but Yngwie was a pioneer.
OK, Ritchie Blackmore used some Bach in some solos now again, so what? Ive heard Jeff Beck and Johnny SMith play Greensleeves, are they neoclassical? WHen Jimmy Page plays Bachs Bouree after the hEARTbreaker solo is that neoclassical? NO. Blackmore had some great ideas, but Yngwie actually COMPOSED entire classically inspired pieces for the guitar... Its quite amazing when you consider how young he was when he began, the guys a legend- END OF DISCUSSION.

RustyGold
12-11-2005, 08:25 PM

Pioneering and playing someone's music are completely different. So what? Vai can play Yngwie, what a stupid argument :no: . Neo-classical for3v3r :cool: !!!!

lessthanthree
12-12-2005, 03:47 AM
neo-classical is another word for bollocks.

public property
12-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Pioneering and playing someone's music are completely different. So what? Vai can play Yngwie, what a stupid argument :no: . Neo-classical for3v3r :cool: !!!!

I'm not sure what your trying to prove, wil was praising ynwgie, all he said was that his stuff isn't as 'impossible' as people make out.

and to the above, I think you mean neoclassical is another word for 'THE bollox' and if you don't, crawl into a hole and don't come out until your mums dead, which will be a considerably longer time than if you were there, saying 'your toast is another word for bollox'. That was pointless.
Anyway. Lovely weather we're having isn't it?

beaker
12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Yngwie is one of the few shredders that i can play to a non guitarist and they will enjoy some of it... Everyone likes classical music to some extent, and seriously, i know hes become a bit TOO c opied but Yngwie was a pioneer.
OK, Ritchie Blackmore used some Bach in some solos now again, so what? Ive heard Jeff Beck and Johnny SMith play Greensleeves, are they neoclassical? WHen Jimmy Page plays Bachs Bouree after the hEARTbreaker solo is that neoclassical? NO. Blackmore had some great ideas, but Yngwie actually COMPOSED entire classically inspired pieces for the guitar... Its quite amazing when you consider how young he was when he began, the guys a legend- END OF DISCUSSION.
have you ever even heard alot of ritchie blackmores work? its hardly the same comparing a small part of a jimmy page solo when rainbow actually performed rock re-workings of beethovens 5th symphony! let alone the fact deep purple played with the royal philaharmonic orchestra in 1969!

PooKoo
12-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Wow pp you completely lost me in the middle of that.

public property
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
me too :(

wil
12-13-2005, 04:05 AM
have you ever even heard alot of ritchie blackmores work? its hardly the same comparing a small part of a jimmy page solo when rainbow actually performed rock re-workings of beethovens 5th symphony! let alone the fact deep purple played with the royal philaharmonic orchestra in 1969!

I was ilustrating a point=-the fact remains that Blackmore was indeed influenced by classical stuff- he went through a lute period for gods sake- but NO-ONE did it like Yngwie did,- Genesis and ZZ Top both employed finger tapping before Van Halen, but who pioneered THAT style? ****ing hell, you lot hate giving credit where its due dont you? Metallica played with the San Fransisco orchestra, are they neoclassical?
Yngwie WROTE his own symphony, not just for guitar, a whole orchestra---listen to it and tell me he has no sense of melody...

beaker
12-13-2005, 01:00 PM
I was ilustrating a point=-the fact remains that Blackmore was indeed influenced by classical stuff- he went through a lute period for gods sake- but NO-ONE did it like Yngwie did,- Genesis and ZZ Top both employed finger tapping before Van Halen, but who pioneered THAT style? ****ing hell, you lot hate giving credit where its due dont you? Metallica played with the San Fransisco orchestra, are they neoclassical?
Yngwie WROTE his own symphony, not just for guitar, a whole orchestra---listen to it and tell me he has no sense of melody...
but the fact is that while metallica only played their songs with the orchestra, deep purple actually played along with the orchestra to classical pieces organist jon lord wrote especially. you dont seem to realise that ritchie blackmore actually used sweep picking, bach progressions, hamonic minor runs e.t.c. he even was the first to scallop the fingerboard of his fender strat!

wil
12-14-2005, 04:04 AM
The scalloped fingerboard idea came from like, medieval lutes, so i suppose Blackmore does deserve credit for being one of the first commercial artists to do this- maybe THE first, who knows? Rick Wakeman from YES composed a great deal of stuff- like the retelling of King Arthur through music and iceskating; its true!- and they're not regarded as neoclassical-at the end of the day Yngwie is definitely influenced by Blackmore, but he doesnt really hide the fact- he says he must have worn out five copies of Made in Japan, but he says that all those late 60s players were mainly using the minor pentatonic and because of his perfect pitch, he figured every Blackmore solo out in a short time, and looked elsewhere for his inspiration and found it in Bach, Pagannini et al... No one is denying that Blackmore had classical allusions, but HE didnt write his own concertos et for the guitar, playing Beethovens 9th is hardly the same as composing something like Trilogy Suite is it? So JOn Lord wrote neoclassical stuff- hes a classically trained organist is he not? In that case, George Martin's Baroque style piano part on Rubber Soul's In My Life is the first example of neoclassical way back in 1965...
What im really saying is that while Deep Purple used classical references etc in their work- for which im not trying to take away any of their credit for-, Yngwie smashed the boundaries of instrumental guitar.

sixteen times
12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
'Cause he's fat.

beaker
12-14-2005, 01:39 PM
you can really argue a point, fair play to you. but i was merely trying to say that your comment "ritchie blackmore used bach in some solos now and again, so what?" is a tad unfair to say the least, yngwie may have pioneered the neo-classical style of playing, but he certainly didnt invent it

AngilasGuy
12-14-2005, 06:17 PM
he even was the first to scallop the fingerboard of his fender strat!

On a strat? Maybe, on a guitar? Definitely not.
Many old baroque guitars were scalloped, as were many fretted instruments in that time period.

Rick Wakeman from YES composed a great deal of stuff- like the retelling of King Arthur through music and iceskating; its true!- and they're not regarded as neoclassical.

At the end of the day Yngwie is definitely influenced by Blackmore, but he doesnt really hide the fact- he says he must have worn out five copies of Made in Japan, but he says that all those late 60s players were mainly using the minor pentatonic and because of his perfect pitch, he figured every Blackmore solo out in a short time, and looked elsewhere for his inspiration and found it in Bach, Pagannini et al... No one is denying that Blackmore had classical allusions, but HE didnt write his own concertos et for the guitar, playing Beethovens 9th is hardly the same as composing something like Trilogy Suite is it?

What im really saying is that while Deep Purple used classical references etc in their work- for which im not trying to take away any of their credit for-, Yngwie smashed the boundaries of instrumental guitar.

1) Yes is a ****ing great band, one of my favorites, for sure

2) Not many artists can write entire concertos for every instrument, even the big composers like John Williams and James Newton Howard have 'Ghost Writers' that basically do their job... So you couldn't be more right. Also, you're totally right about different artists and classical music, COUNTLESS artists use classical riffs, its like a natural attraction to guitar players. Jethro Tull for example played the 9th symphony (Beethoven) on the keyboard, it was awesome, but its not neoclassical at all, he also played Bouree on the flute, but hell thats not neoclassical at all either. Even Steve Vai based Eugene's Trick Bag over paganini! But I don't call Vai a neoclassical guitarist at all!

3) You're totally right about your last statement too.. Theres a big difference between borrowing riffs here and there, and making it a focal point of your trademark.

So basically, you're 100% right on everything!

beaker
12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
you lot kiss arse way too much :S

1: scalloping the fretboard of a lute is not the same as scalloping the fretboard of an electric guitar, unless im mistaken and that they actually had electric guitars and rock bands in the 1600s!!

2: yes alot of other bands may have covered classical compositions also, but you name ONE band that featured a guitarist that played arpegios over classical style progressions within a heavy rock song, scalloped his fretboard, sweep picked occasionally, and even harmonized fast picked classical style runs with an organist.

its like saying that eric clapton invented the blues!!
neoclassical was being brought to life way before yngiwe got his grips on it, he just brought that whole style into modern guitar playing, that is not inventing it

wil argued his points very well but your just a yngwie fan with nothing relevant to add!

AngilasGuy
12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
How could you argue with what I said?

Music is always changing, they didn't have rock bands during baroque, don't be sassy, things always change, from organs, to harpsichords, to pianos, to keyboards, instruments evolve and change.

And what do you even mean by #2.... You basically resaid what I said about Yngwie making the neoclassical style mainstream and popular...
Please, do tell me an electric guitarist who 'brought neoclassical' style in its form before yngwie, one who plays almost exclusively classical music... Not ones who had riffs here and there...

PS... Kissass? Please.. I don't have to prove anything to anyone.
**** you wil, there, kissass still?

wil
12-16-2005, 06:21 AM
^ what the ****?
- I can't find a great deal of examples of Blackmore sweep picking in Deep Purple? A lot of the organ parts work best as sweeped arpeggios when played on guitar but other than that, Blackmore seems to be economy picking or raking an arpeggio which is not quite the same- Yngwie creates entire melodies and progressions out of arpeggios more complex than anything blackmore did, ie Blitzkrieg...
-Django was sweep picking in the 1930s, so what, he wasnt playing classical stuff, oh my God, he was playing something...new!

At the end of the day, yes, Blackmore had his classical influences but I wouldnt call him an accomplished classical player in the slightest, playing triads over a classical sounding progression is not the same as writing Adagio or EVIl Eye...

It all comes down to this, and i FEEL this should be the end of this overly long interlude in an overall pointless discussion, Blackmore is a more convincing blues player than he is a neoclassical one, while yNgwie is DEFINITELY a more convincing neoclassical player than he is a blues player.

Four-Sticks
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
PS... Kissass? Please.. I don't have to prove anything to anyone.
**** you wil, there, kissass still?

It looks as if you're trying to now prove that you aren't a kissass.

Bababooey Bababooey Bababooey! :p:

Freepower
12-16-2005, 11:24 AM
It all comes down to this, and i FEEL this should be the end of this overly long interlude in an overall pointless discussion, Blackmore is a more convincing blues player than he is a neoclassical one, while yNgwie is DEFINITELY a more convincing neoclassical player than he is a blues player.

Agreed!

alliwant
04-11-2006, 03:34 PM
In my opinion there's nothing wrong with self belief, fair enough he takes it a bit further but I like the guy anyway. I like his brand of neo-classical music.