make it look vintage

PDA

View Full Version : make it look vintage

bum_wit_a_git
10-29-2005, 05:55 PM
i want to know how to make a guitar look vintage other then scrapping it on the ground any idea's?

HelpMeImHungry
10-29-2005, 06:02 PM
how bout you actually play it until the finish fades. I think its dumb when people buy artificially word guitars or do things just to make an instrument look vintage. Vintage look is supposed to mean the instrument was actually played

bum_wit_a_git
10-29-2005, 06:03 PM
yea its more i just wanna know how to do it

MRTOEHEADJR
10-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Man Just Play Until Our Fingers Fall Off And If That Dosent Work Sand Paper Lol

HelpMeImHungry
10-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Use it as a snowboard

Punkrocka
10-29-2005, 06:06 PM
hey, yeah i kind of agree with the dude above... but to each his own right? So, the tips ive heard are things like, uhm, burn a cigarette just behind the nut so it gets a nice little burn goin on. Then go to like, a home depot or something and get some really really fine grit sandpaper- around 1200 grit or so i think. So just do that in places that would be played on. use it on the sides of the neck and stuff al!so.
another one they use in the Fender custom shop is they heat it up really hot, as if it had been in the sun for a LONG time, then just seconds later put it in a freezer or something, this will cause the paint to stress, i guess it looks pretty cool. but anyway, just little things make the biggest differences, so just take in what your playing style is and make wear mark wherever you think they'd appear after 40 years of doing just that. good luck!

AlGeeEater
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
You mean a relic, like mine?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlGeeEater/DSC01571.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlGeeEater/DSC01572.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlGeeEater/DSC01574.jpg

Well it's not done yet but you get the idea ;)

What I did was take a flathead screwdriver and chipped off the paint around the bevels and sides, and kinda just left them like that. Then, for the armrest I chipped off some paint and started sanding one way to mimic how my arm would rub against the arm rest. Did the same for the belt buckle rash. If you really wan't to make it look authentic around the edges and sides take a hammer and smack some of the paint off. You can also rub the body with 0000 steel wool to give it that satin effect.

I also did some other stuff like drop it on the floor a couple of times(like I was carrying it and dropped it somehow). Don't throw it on the ground or drag it behind your car. It's a waste of time and doesnt look real authentic.

There's so many possibilities too. Use your mind. For the hardware, I let a few rusty screws and nails soak in water for a day, then placed the hardware in there and let them oxodize with the rust and **** for a few days and pulled them out and let them air dry, it looks great.

If you wana chip the paint(if it's nitro) then leave it in the freezer for a day, take it out and let it soak in the sun. You can actually hear the nitro cracking and checking. It's pretty cool. Make sure this is the last step though.

BTW, I should have pics up in the thread.

bum_wit_a_git
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
ok any way i should sand it? wouldnt that just be the same as scraping it on the ground?

bandgeek
10-29-2005, 06:10 PM
use the fender approach

tushmeister
10-29-2005, 06:11 PM
haha
you could say that guitars been used on the road....

*tumbleweed*
whoops

)Eric(Draven
10-29-2005, 06:12 PM
If sanding was the same as scraping it on the ground, builders would use the ground to sand wood for houses.

I highly doubt it's the same, duder.

HelpMeImHungry
10-29-2005, 06:15 PM
you should definitely sand intstead of scrape on the ground, itll be more controlled and smooth, if you scrape on the ground you might break something you need

rockinlewis
10-29-2005, 06:15 PM
use the fender approach
:haha

tushmeister
10-29-2005, 06:17 PM
yeah
and surely the idea of sanding is you choose where to sand (i.e where natural wearandtear would occur)

whereas dragging it around wont really do that bu chip random chunks off.

i reckon you should store sweat in a jar, keep saving for 3 years, then pour the sweat over the guitar and let it do its job. thatll vintage it haha

Tushy

MetalUpTheAss
10-29-2005, 06:20 PM
I hung my guitar out my bedroom window.

But that's because it's made of plywood and it can go to hell.

AlGeeEater
10-29-2005, 06:28 PM
How sad are all these replies? :rolleyes:

Anyways, read my post and let me know if you have any questions ;)

That_Pink_Queen
10-29-2005, 06:31 PM
For plastic, sand the shiny stuff off with very fine guage sandpaper. Dont make big scratches. Now make a very strong solution of tea and coffee, the stronger the better. Add some soy sauce, and vinegar(the acid dyes stuff better)

Now just leave the plastic parts in there for a little bit.

grungefan89
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
For yellowing the neck, do what I did: take a can of old (or new) Kiwi Brown shoe polish and apply to a cloth. Rub as many coats of this on the neck until you get the desired yellowed effect. You can also rub this junk on knobs, but you have to sand the finish off with very fine sandpaper.

Or, for the knobs, you can do what I did to save time: go to a Fender dealer -this is a Strat that we're talking about, right?- and buy an Aged White Accessory Kit for a Strat for about $16 bucks.

utsapp89
10-29-2005, 07:08 PM
A friend I have reliced his Strat a few months ago. One of the things he did was hold a lighter to parts and wait until the paint was black and curling back, but made sure not to let it actually catch fire. He'd then just rub those parts away with fine grit paper, exposing the wood (rubbing some of the burnt paint into the wood would leave a nice tint to it, which looks nice on a reliced guitar). I suppose this would be less tedious than hand sanding it all the way down to the wood, and seems to look the same to me. Don't know if this is good for the guitar or not, though I would assume it's alright.

al_
10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
AlgeeEater that looks awesome. I would recommend listenging to him. O and staining your plastic hardware with tea works great too.

Preid
10-30-2005, 12:41 PM
use the fender approach

:D :haha:haha :D

Made my day

AlGeeEater
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
AlgeeEater that looks awesome. I would recommend listenging to him. O and staining your plastic hardware with tea works great too.
Thanks!

One thing I learned is you either have to let the tea/coffee sink in, or sand the pickgaurd and stain it.

The rusty hardware trick works good, just rough up the chrome with steel wool.