Michael Angelo Batio - Hands Without Shadows

PDA

View Full Version : Michael Angelo Batio - Hands Without Shadows

darkmusicangel
10-31-2005, 07:58 PM
This is from the MAB forum.

?Hands Without Shadows? CD Release

World renowned progressive rock guitarist, Michael Angelo Batio released his new CD on October 27th, 2005, titled ?Hands Without Shadows?.

?Hands Without Shadows? or ?HWS? (M.A.C.E. Records) is Michael?s most ambitious work to date featuring guest appearances by Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge and Creed, Rudy Sarzo of Ozzy, Whitesnake and Quiet Riot, Doug Marks, founder of Metal Method, virtuoso guitarist Bill Peck and more. Bobby Rock played drums on the entire CD. The primary bassist William Kopecky is a 6 string and fretless virtuoso. Chris Djuricic engineered and mixed the CD, Dean Guitars graphic designer Stephen Jensen designed the ?HWS? artwork and the disc was mastered by Trevor Sadler.

?HWS? is a blend of Michael?s own originals and classic covers requested by his fans. Michael?s unique guitar tone and technical abilities are prominent throughout the entire CD while featuring guest performances from the above mentioned ?master musicians?. The title track ?Hands Without Shadows? promises to be his new signature song with a feel and skill level that listeners have come to expect and enjoy from Michael Angelo Batio.

Tracks on the CD include ?Burn? (Deep Purple), ?Zeppelin Forever?, (A Led Zeppelin medley like no other), ?Wherever I May Roam? (Metallica), ?Pray On, Prey? (Michael Angelo Batio), ?Tribute to Randy? (Ozzy with Randy Rhoads), ?Dream On? (Aerosmith), ?All Along the watchtower? (Jimi Hendrix inspired) and more!

Michael Angelo Batio is the inventor of the ?Double V Guitar? and has been heralded in the major guitar magazines as the ?No.1 Shredder of All Time? (Guitar One) and one of ?Heavy Metal?s Top 100 Greatest Guitarists? (Guitar World). ?Hands Without Shadows? is sure to gain the admiration and respect of critics and fans alike.

?Hands Without Shadows? and ?HWS? are registered trademarks of Michael Batio and M.A.C.E. Music. Michael Angelo Batio is endorsed by Dean Guitars and performs numerous clinics for Dean worldwide.
www.deanguitars.com. He is also endorsed by Digitech Pedals.

?Hands Without Shadows? is available at www.angelo.com.

There should be sound clips available on his official site soon.

wil
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
And i bet you any money it'll be impossible to find in the Uk, which is a shame as i quite like the sound of this.

Resiliance
11-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I've heard some stuff about this, on other forums too...

Unfortunately, what I've heard wasn't too good.

wil
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
The idea of a zeppelin medley worries me somewhat...as do the numerous tributes, but i bet it'll be fun to listen to.

GLP standard
11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I hate to buy the whole cd, so if someone who has heard the cd can tell me what they think some good songs to check out would be, ill download them. Other than that I have better things to spend 15 beans on at the moment

Freepower
11-03-2005, 10:05 AM
The randy tribute is awesome, i have a feeling he'll do more than justice to each guitarist, MAB is awesome beyond belief.

And i like the sound of this album muchas.

darkmusicangel
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Clips have been uploaded on his site! www.angelo.com
From what I've heard, I can't wait to get the album.

Erich yeung
11-05-2005, 02:55 AM
the tribute to randy owns ! Its awesome, can't wait to get it. Hands without shadows was awesome too.

PooKoo
11-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Eh, the randy tribute just didnt do it for me. I love MAB, and i love Randy, but together isnt so great i guess. I really would prefer to not have MAB shredding all over some zep, but im sure itll still be cool.

Love him though, great guy. Probably still will buy the cd.

Oh and i loved the other samples he had, Burn was really cool.

shredfan
11-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I have Hands Without Shadows and really like it. Technically Michael's really on top of his game. Theres only two (good) new songs, which is a bit of a dissapointment, but he does justice to all of the artists that he covers, whilst still making the songs his own.

Axegrinder#9
11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
let whoever call MAB's playing lacking soul be damned...

I've never actually heard too many of his "songs" as such till today, barring the exception of the "Speed Kills" mp3. After listening to "Hands Without Shadows" I was floored all over again with the level of technical precision with which he executes every note on this album - that let alone anything has always stopped me from dissing MAB as a mechanical shredder "lacking feel". I wish I had the time to review this album, but I will tell you this, I started listening to the Hendrix cover and the Zeppelin medley with some misgivings and on this occasion it felt quite wonderful to be proved completely wrong - MAB does justice to all the covers on the album, he revives the classics and elevates them to another level. Yes there are moments when the shredding may be overwhelming, but I personally thouroughly enjoyed this album and sincerely hope that MAB forms a hard and heavy band and writes more music - it is divine.

EDIT: just read the first post - he released it on my b'day :devil:

TheUltimateSin
11-27-2005, 10:35 PM
That Rhoads Tribute was awesome. Very good, very respectful. *adds another tally to MAB's record*

Freepower
11-28-2005, 12:53 PM
MAB is the ****. I spent about an hour today showing people him and Lane on the music comps in school. I can tells ya, some attitudes tripled in respect for shred. :)

wil
11-29-2005, 05:57 AM
He doesnt play nearly enough legato for my likings- that fast picking irritates me after a while. Dont get me wrong, i have the utmost respect for the guy, he just isnt varied enough fro me to sustain listening to him for any length of time.

Freepower
11-29-2005, 11:06 AM
^ i do agree, and his pick attack seems to vary very little - he is incredibly clean and consistent within a run, sure, but he just doesnt seem to change his picking idiom very much.

wil
11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Absolutely, its great the first few timesi, to actually be able to HEAR the immaculate cleanliness of his picking, but it gets overdone..
example- Led Zeppelin tribute...
Plays a couple of bars of tasty, bendy blues lines, then goes off again on another predictable picking ascent...its just a bt...repetitive.
Saying that though, Angelo REALLY inspired me, even if it was a self indulgent type of inspiration in the form of ' I WANT TO PICK LIKE THAT...!'

Freepower
11-29-2005, 11:16 AM
^ i do like him when he doesnt play sequences so much, everything apart from his ascending methods is awesome, imo. :)

wil
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
He needs to stop trying to remind us that he's one of the fastest players in the world.
Guitar is an art, not a sport and considering Angelo has a great feel for melody, he should try and be a bit more artistic and a little less athletic.
what's his real name by the way? Surely not Michael Angelo?
Im sorry, but if id never heard of him, if someone told me about a contemporary musician named Michael Angelo, id picture Batio straight away.

Freepower
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
^ he knows fine well its not a sport, its just how he plays. He's said himself that he doesnt really push himself to play fast on each song. The fact that you see it as sport like is your perception of his style, and you cant really tell whether he's just trying to push his playing as far as it can go (eg, Vai) or if he's just trying to "outplay" everyone.

And he doesnt seem to be doing the latter, anyhoo. *shrug*

Mad Marius
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM
As far as I'm concerned, he's all about speed and accuracy. Nothing else. He's an extraordinary performer, but an awful composer.

His songs are technically astounding, but lack any feeling and consistency. It's like he randomly took a bunch of fast licks and picking exercises and stiched them together to form songs.

And that Nitro band... when I saw a video of them (Freight Train, or something), other than Batio playing the 4 neck guitar, nothing worth watching.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing his new stuff. I hope his (original) songs are more than just references for guitarists who want to play fast. As for the Led Zeppelin or Hendrix covers, I'm think he'll do a good job, since the songs are already laid out and all he has to do is play them.

As for him being in the top 10 shredders or whatever, in some magazine, I have to say that the top 10 also includes "The Great Kat", and anyone who takes that abomination seriously is not worth listening to.

Resiliance
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
^Don't get me started on the "feeling"... Not to mention the absurdity of you calling MAB inconsistent.

Just say you don't like it, don't say it has no ****ing feeling, ARGH.

Freepower
11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
And that Nitro band... when I saw a video of them (Freight Train, or something), other than Batio playing the 4 neck guitar, nothing worth watching.

Didja see the full vid or just the bit with Batio, by any chance?

Mad Marius
11-29-2005, 12:29 PM
I saw it on his "Speed Kills" instructional video, it was a good 80% of the clip, not just the Batio part. Don't tell me I missed something good...

Freepower
11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Just wondering, i've never seen a clip of more than that solo. Wonder why the changed it from the album version?

Mad Marius
11-30-2005, 07:27 AM
^ maybe it's because he didn't use the 4-neck while recording in the studio...

Anyway,

I've just listened to a few songs from HwoS... The covers are good, especially All Along the Watchtower and Zeppelin Forever (ok, that one's not actually a cover, but more of a 'compilation').

The song "Pray on, Prey" (I don't know if it's original or not, probably is) is the highlight of the album for me. It features some of he fastest and most accurate playing I've heard from MAB (or anyone, for that matter) and is nice to listen to.

Hands Without Shadows (the song) is kind of weird, like it's from an 80's videogame or something. Very segmented, if you know what I mean, with abrupt changes in the dynamic and flow of the song. It sort of reminded me of Marcus Paus's cucumber song (whatever it's called). It's like, while recording, he changes his mind from time to time and decides to switch to something else. Very inconsistent, as I've previously said, and not something I like.

But, aside from that, good album. As always with MAB, the actual playing and technique are near perfect, very fast, yet every note rings clearly.

Yeah, these are my "2 cents" on the album. Die-hard shredders will surely love it.

Freepower
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
^ maybe it's because he didn't use the 4-neck while recording in the studio...

The solo is pretty much identical, just some bits chopped out, pretty much. It seems to be like they just went straight to the shrade for the video. Which isnt a bad thing when you're that OTT, its just adding to the sillyness.

snowcat
10-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Can someone tell me whats the first song Batio plays in the "Zeppelin Forever" song? Its very familiar to me but i cant find it in my Led Zep collection, so yea a little help please :D

And my thoughts on MAB... he's got great technique and he knows his arpeggios but he doesnt make really any interesting changes in his solos. He does in some places, but its very small.

mingles
10-26-2006, 12:09 AM
amazing skill, but he much more suited to being a clinic guitar player than a recording artist imo. I really don't dig that dodoododododod sound of his.

Tom Martin
10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Is it just me who noticed the release date is 27th October 2005? Thats a year ago :p: No need to get all excited ;)

chase09
10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, but the thread's over a year old. So the album was released nearly the same time this thread was made.

Jaffaps2
10-31-2006, 02:26 PM
This Monday coming, I'm going to see him at a guitar clinic in Liverpool, but can't get hold of one of his albums for him to sign, I hope they're selling them, and not at rip off prices!

chase09
11-03-2006, 04:58 PM
He sells them for $20 flat. No tax.

garden of grey
11-03-2006, 07:37 PM
^ that sucks.

I wanna hear the wherever i may roam cover though. Hopefully these aren't all cheesy 6 minute solos over all of the songs.

Shreddin 4 Life
11-03-2006, 11:44 PM
:haha

man I hate to tell u: but they pretty much are...

either that, or medleys of the bands in question :(

Cathedral
11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
This Monday coming, I'm going to see him at a guitar clinic in Liverpool, but can't get hold of one of his albums for him to sign, I hope they're selling them, and not at rip off prices!

I saw him in Gillingham last Wednesday, CDs DVDs and Shirts were on sale which you could get signed after the show.

ntchode
10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I can't understand people who say MAB can't play with feeling and passion. You must be a bunch of deaf liberals. Has anyone listened to some of the slower portions of his songs? Take perhaps the song, Peace, the intro for a good while remains pretty slow going, and quite soulful. Maybe you just can't keep up with the music at that speed to comprehend the melodies he puts into all his runs.

I do see how it must be tough for people to understand that just because every note is hit perfectly means that it isn't musical and hes just some kind of speed freak. The fact is that you don't have to play sloppy to be musical, playing perfect just shows a higher level of achievement and accomplishment at the instrument, and a higher degree of intense practice and devotion to the way of life known as guitar playing.

Mustin Jaylor :peace:

David_VI
10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Saw him last night, I was extremely impressed, the so called tribute songs were really nice and he talked a lot about how hard it was to make the tribute to Rhandy different from everyone just playing Crazy train the same way :)

clement1
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
?whats?with?all?the?question?marks?

?is?every?thing?a?question?

Perpetual Burn
10-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Anyone know where I could download the mp3s for Hands Without Shadows? The torrent doesn't seem to work well.

sidious
10-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I hate to buy the whole cd, so if someone who has heard the cd can tell me what they think some good songs to check out would be, ill download them. Other than that I have better things to spend 15 beans on at the moment
die!! I most of the time will first download 2 songs to listen too and than if I like those buy the album.

people like you will make non-commercial bands bankrupt!

bucketbots
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
he paly so fast (soul of speed)

R.v.B
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Its a good album, I couldnt be able to listen to it from start to finish though...a couple of the tracks fall into the shred stereotype of having no soul...the cover of deep purple's song burn is great though!!!