The Band

PDA

View Full Version : The Band

L_Z_Nut
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
I was just wondering what some of you think of The band, like em', don't like em', anything, what genre would they be... to me their like a mix between rock, country, blues, and folk waht do you think? Me personally I kinda like them and their a pretty talented bunch of musicians.

Also where can I find some good tabs for their songs there doesn't seem to be any, and when you search the net for them because of their name you get anything and everything that has the word band in it so its pretty difficult to find tabs

faithandchaos21
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
the last waltz is by far the best classic rock cd/movie ever...

RideTheLighting
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
try googling

"The Band" and then there song name?

or just google the song name.

deadhead313313
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I absolutely love the band. In fact I watched The Last Waltz yesterday, and the Festival Express today. So much ass-kickery

Wetherman
11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I have Last Waltz as well. Although their appearance on Concert For George was their best in my opinion.

L_Z_Nut
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
One song I love and that I've been looking for that song "the weight" but can't find anything but chords, and I've been trying to figure out some of the riffs in between but I've had no luck, I wish I had a better ear for figuring out music!

coldethyl
11-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes!

The Band are one awesome!
Big Pink and (The Brown Album) The Band are great albums to have.

If you want to get good tabs of the Band look here:
http://home6.inet.tele.dk/thomasho/bandtabs/

Ranger01
11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
i really like the band but i think Robbie Robertson is an ass, him and Martin scorsasie took almost all of the money from the last waltz, and he took credit for alot of songs that the others wrote.(Levon Helm wrote The weight and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. and the others may have wrote more that RR took the credit for.)

L_Z_Nut
11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
^^ wicked thanks for the site, I don't know too much about the inner band squabbles, what happened. I know tow of them died... did thier deaths lead to the disbandment or was it all the fighting the lead to it?

Ranger01
11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
they disbanded prior to the deaths mainly because of squabbles between members (I.E. everyone hated Robbie Robertson)
Rick Danko died on 12/10/1999 (cause unknown)
Richard Manuel Hung himself on 3/4/1986
Levon almost died from throat cancer (caused by smoking) but survived (and still smokes)
Robbie Robertson is fine and in good health

L_Z_Nut
11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Cool, good to know. Thanks a lot.

Rubin Remus
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Garth Hudson is alive and still touring with his wife, Maud.

zepp_411
11-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Definetly a great band....every member is equally as talented as the others, and they all play everything! The last waltz, festival express and even the new dylan movie all have great footage of them. and honestly, there aresnt any tabs out there, and usually i search the band and end up with dave mattews band..

coldethyl
11-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Try here for tabs: http://theband.hiof.no/books/sheet_mfbp_tb.html

The above web page contains tabs from their earlier albums.
That's the best I can suggest I'm afraid.

Rubin Remus
11-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm fortunate to own a copy of the Northern Lights/Southern Cross music book. It doesn't have tab, but shows chords and the music for each song off the album.

They are one of the worlds greatest bands, and have made some fantastic music. Rick Danko's solo music is arguably as good as his work within the Band.
Richard Manuel's 'Whispering Pines' album was a brilliant live album, it's just a pity he didn't get round to doing a studio album.

Also, don't you think Johnny Cash should have been in the Last Waltz?! Grr!

srv_thegreatest
11-17-2005, 04:38 PM
i love the band

M@Man
02-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Try here for tabs: http://theband.hiof.no/books/sheet_mfbp_tb.html

The above web page contains tabs from their earlier albums.
That's the best I can suggest I'm afraid.

There's not a lot there, but also:

http://home6.inet.tele.dk/thomasho/bandtabs/

TheHeartbreaker
02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I absolutely love the band. In fact I watched The Last Waltz yesterday, and the Festival Express today. So much ass-kickery

Easily one of the greatest music concerts ever filmed. The 12-Bar Blues bit with Clapton is extremely awesome. The people who appeared as guests in that film; Dylan, Clapton, Young, etc... Some of the greatest musicians of all time.

I own quite a few their CDs, but sadly, I can't find a favorite because they're all so good. A true American-Canadian classic.

Johnsonville
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
they disbanded prior to the deaths mainly because of squabbles between members (I.E. everyone hated Robbie Robertson)
Rick Danko died on 12/10/1999 (cause unknown)
Richard Manuel Hung himself on 3/4/1986
Levon almost died from throat cancer (caused by smoking) but survived (and still smokes)
Robbie Robertson is fine and in good health

Rick DAnko Died of a Heart problem

TheHeartbreaker
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I believe that it's Levon who lives in Woodstock, NY and every Saturday or so has a jam with his friends where he sells 100 tickets (available online) to people who come to watch him play and bring a meal for a potluck dinner.

My plans for after graduating from college (when i get to college) are to move up to Woodstock (or in the general area) and open a guitar shop (just a little one) and maybe open a custom shop if I learn how to build guitars.

Maybe if I'm lucky Levon will still be alive and I can jam with him. :headbang:

trey-col89
02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I really enjoy some of The Band's stuff.... The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is a fabulous song, as well as Up On Cripple Creek.... man, my dad is so lucky, back in 71, he got to see the Dead and the Band jam out AT ONE SHOW. He said it was ****ing awesome.

klein82887
02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I love The Band, man. I'v listened to them for years. If you go their website, they have all their tabs.

^They played a few concerts together including one huge one. It was like woodstock, but just the dead, the band, and the allman brothers.

trey-col89
02-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Damn... thats one of the best lineups I've ever heard... and its just three bands. When was this?

klein82887
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
http://theband.hiof.no/lyrics/index.html that's the BEST tabsite - SO many cause its their site.

Watins Glen Summer Jam - 1973

igotabcrich32
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Festival Express is an amazing movie.

M@Man
02-05-2006, 06:03 AM
I really enjoy some of The Band's stuff.... The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is a fabulous song, as well as Up On Cripple Creek.... man, my dad is so lucky, back in 71, he got to see the Dead and the Band jam out AT ONE SHOW. He said it was ****ing awesome.

I saw 'em, once. 2nd opener for the Dead's '83 New Year's concert. No Robertson, so the guitar playing was pretty standard. Danko came out later & played guitar for "Ripple". Good time was had by all.

I tend more to Tears of Rage, Shape I'm In, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, Chest Fever, Unfaithful Servant, Rockin' Chair.

Sheet music for the Basement Tapes tunes are in "Bob Dylan: From 1966-1975" ISBN 0-394-73526-4, including Tears, I Shall Be Released, and This Wheel's On Fire. I'm using the stuff from the hiob site to work out my own arrangements for 12-string (as accompanyment). Not so true to the original, but (for me) playable.

Derigiberble
02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
The Last Waltz rapes

i would go any buy stage fright, or just a greatest hits album.

"Don't do it" is my favourite song by them :cool:

Still Life
02-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I like them, The Last Waltz is quite fantastic, although that's about as far as my knowledge of The Band goes.

M@Man
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
The Last Waltz rapes
i would go any buy stage fright, or just a greatest hits album.
"Don't do it" is my favourite song by them :cool:

Their versions of that Motown classic are all killer. Love Rick's intro riff in Last Waltz. Killer opener.

Stagefright is a good album, but not the one that I would recommend off the top, as intro to the group. My ranking runs closer to standard:

The Band (brown album)
Last Waltz/Big Pink/Before The Flood
Stagefright/Northern Lights/Cahoots/Moondog
Basement Tapes (the originals don't have Levon, btw)

I've also got Kingdom Come, which is a decent mix. Frankly, I'd rather have a good concert album (Waltz or Flood, for example) rather than a collection. Often the material is the same since both concerts & collections tend to favor popularity over critical/artistic considerations.

FWIW, Rock of Ages is my absolute least favorite album, because of the mix. Supposedly, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is a re-mix, and the couple of tracks that I've heard are much better. Really, just a matter of dialing the horn section down...a lot.

wilty00
02-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I absolutely love The Band. I got Last Waltz a year or two ago for Christmas.. haven't watched it in awhile :sad: The Weight is a great song as well as We Can Talk.

Funk48
06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I have Last Waltz as well. Although their appearance on Concert For George was their best in my opinion.

What are you talking about?

The band was never in Concert for George. Not one member of The Band participated in that concert. (Unfortunately)

Two of them were dead by then.

Funk48
06-08-2006, 03:58 PM
i really like the band but i think Robbie Robertson is an ass, him and Martin scorsasie took almost all of the money from the last waltz, and he took credit for alot of songs that the others wrote.(Levon Helm wrote The weight and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. and the others may have wrote more that RR took the credit for.)

Where did you get this information from? Michael Moore? Robbie Robertson wrote both "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down? He took the money from the movie because he was the co-producer,and it was HIS songs appearing on the film! Of coarse he made more money than the rest of them. You have to realize how royalties work before you make stupid comments.

Robbie's not even my favorite. Rick and Garth are. But I had to defend him because I'm like that hahah.

fadingboy
06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I love them. My favourite song are the weight, up on cripple creek and the last waltz.

I'd define them as country-rock with some blues influence but they're one of these bands that are almost impossible to categorise because no-one else really sounds like them.

TheHeartbreaker
06-08-2006, 04:38 PM
^^Besides the fact that no one else sounds like them, they can't really be classified because they can play so many different genres.

They can play blues, country-rock, folk-rock, etc.

No matter what they're playing, they're great to listen to.

Rubin Remus
06-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Where did you get this information from? Michael Moore? Robbie Robertson wrote both "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down? He took the money from the movie because he was the co-producer,and it was HIS songs appearing on the film! Of coarse he made more money than the rest of them. You have to realize how royalties work before you make stupid comments.

I have to agree with you here, if you see the brown album dvd, in the "classic's" series, Robbie talks about writing Dixie and, if my memory serves me well (nearly a Manuel/Dylan reference too!), the Weight as well.

Though there is certainly some bad blood between Robbie and Levon, but to be honest, I can't figure out what's going on. I know Levon wanted to keep on.

That's my two cents for what it's worth... two cents, I guess...

Ranger01
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I remember reading somewhere that all the people mentioned in The Weight and Dixie were from Levons home town. But ya Idk.

freewheelinbird
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
well i have last waltz (for christmas) and a live album (live @ watkins glen) but i'm not really feelin it.

TheHeartbreaker
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
^^You're the only person I know that has listened to them but doesn't enjoy them.

Now I have to kick your ass. ;)

:peace:

fadingboy
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
^ I'll help.

zxZoSoxz
07-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Would anyone like to give their opinion on The Last Waltz boxset or the Musical History one?
I can really only get one and I keep going back and forth...

groll01
07-03-2006, 08:50 AM
zxZoSoxz, do u have a link to what those box sets are? i havent seen em b4?

zxZoSoxz
07-03-2006, 12:52 PM
The Last Waltz (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063DS1/ref=pd_rvi_gw_3/104-5727113-6983140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174)

A Musical History (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B19B6M/ref=pd_sim_m_7/104-5727113-6983140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174)

I already have Big Pink and The Band, so I'm kinda hesitant to spend $80 on A Musical History. Should I perhaps just get Rock of Ages?

Cptbeefheart
07-03-2006, 12:56 PM
If I were you I would buy the Last Waltz. The two products are nearly equal in quality, but I prefer the Band live to the Band in the studio.

groll01
07-04-2006, 02:10 AM
The Last Waltz is only $12 at jb hi fi atm for anyone in australia

AC/DC10
07-19-2006, 01:23 AM
****! i have the greatist hits and i cant find it! at least i put it on itunes first lol

i have the last waltz its really good. i dont know how someone couldnt like it, or the band

TheHeartbreaker
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
If I were you I would buy the Last Waltz. The two products are nearly equal in quality, but I prefer the Band live to the Band in the studio.

Same.

I feel that way about most bands, anyways, though.

I really like The Last Waltz, Before the Flood (when they were with Bob Dylan), and Live at Watkins Glen.

I don't know if they have any other Live Albums besides those, but if they do I'll definetly pick them up.

zxZoSoxz
07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Get Rock Of Ages.
very good. Dylan joins them for the last few songs, and he manages to fudge the lyrics to "Like A Rolling Stone". The rest is also amazing, and it was only $15 when I bought it.

TheHeartbreaker
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I might actually have that album somewhere... I'll have to check, and if I don't have it I'll try and find it at the store somewhere.

After some though I'm sure that most of their live albums were ones that they performed when they were with Dylan, such as Before the Flood, so they probably have more than the four or five I expected them to have.

Rubin Remus
07-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Their best live album (with the exception of the Last Waltz, natuarally), in my opinion, is 'Before The Flood', with Bob Dylan. Mainly Dylan songs, which is good for me, because I love him, but WOW! They really give some of his songs a real good kick up the arse! Buy it, listen to it, love it...!

TheHeartbreaker
07-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Before the Flood is... simply amazing; there's really no other way to describe it.

Even though I prefer The Last Waltz (mainly because of all the great musicians who join The Band throughout the concert), Before the Flood is a must buy.