BGOTM - Flea's rig

PDA

View Full Version : BGOTM - Flea's rig

FunkMaster
11-02-2005, 06:40 AM
As promised: Bassist Gear Of The Month and this month: Flea

Gear History:
Over the years, Flea has used different basses. He started out playing StingRays. But he used a Spector on some Mothers Milk tracks. On Blood Sugar Sex Magic, he used a Wall Mach II and a StingRay 5. One Hot Minute was recorded using an Alembic Epic. For live gigs, he kept using his StingRay?s. In 1997, Modulus started producing his custom bass and ever since, he uses Modulus Flea basses. All of his basses have BadAss II bridges, Aguillar OBP-1 pre-amp, Lane Poor PU?s and are strung with GHS Flea signature series (.045 - .105).
As for amplifiers, Flea always has used GK heads. In the beginning he used 800RB heads, but uses the larger 2001RB at the moment. Cabwise, he used a Mesa/Boogie 2x10 and 2x15 setup. Three stacks of each. Since the Californication tour, he uses GK three 410RBH an and three 115RBH cabs.
When it comes to FX, Flea isn?t a collector. He only uses an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron, an MXR micro-amp and a BOSS ODB-3.
The person who keeps Fleas gear in top condition is Tracy Robar.

But now a bit more about his current set-up:
Flea's main bass is the punk-rock bass. It's a Modulus Flea covered with stickers. He uses this bass the whole show, except for songs with different tunings. Then he uses one of his other Modulusses.
Flea needs a lot of freedom on stage if he wants to jump around like we?re used from him. So he uses a Shure wireless system. From there the signal goes to a Brooks Siren active DI box. The line signal goes to the FOH, the rest goes to his FX: Q-Tron, Micro-Amp and an ODB-3. After the ODB-3 the signal is again splitted using a Whirlwind passive DI. Again, one signal goes to the FOH, the rest continues to the first of three Gallien-Krueger 2001RB heads. The two others are connected by daisy chaining. So the first amp is used as EQ and power amp, the last two only as power amp so if you change the EQ on the first amp, it affects all the amps. Each head powers a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab from the RBH series from Gallien-Krueger. The system uses GK?s bi-amping method to drive the woofers and tweeter separately. The last feed to the FOH is a Shure SM98
For monitoring, Flea uses in-ears. I haven?t found what brand, but it probably is Shure. The bass signal he gets in his monitors, is coming from the Whirlwind (post-fx DI).

Layout of flea's rig:
http://www.bassplayer.com/images/0404/Flea-Chain-Export.jpg

A picture of flea's old rig with the GK800RBs:
http://users.pandora.be/html/pictures/rhcp22.jpg

Flea's current GK rig:
http://www.gallien-krueger.com/images/artist_images/artist_flea.gif

Punk-Rock bass:
http://flea_mike_b.tripod.com/flea_pics/3bass3.jpg

Flea's basses, with his rig in the background, and his tech working on his punk-rock bass:
http://www.bassplayer.com/images/0404/fleabasses.jpg

Flea's FX:
http://www.bassplayer.com/images/0404/fleapedals.jpg

That's it. Hope you enjoyed reading it. If you want, I can post a little Bio too I have somewhere on my PC. Just let me know if you guys feel the need for it ;)

HazeD
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
< hates the chili peppers. i hear good things about that dude thou.

samlynch
11-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Loves the chilis.
great article, nice work, good info, good lenght,

sweet

Liamy
11-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Excellent post, I'm also really happy to discover that I have the same OD stompbox as Flea!! :headbang:

FunkMaster
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
ghehe, now just the rest of the gear and you'll have the same rig ;)
thx for all the good comments so far...

mangablade
11-02-2005, 09:51 AM
man i was waiting for this one! lol. thanks for putting it up. you could have a bit more about his sticker bass tho.

Tremelo
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Good work, must have taken you ages!

I wish i could play like him...

boba899
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Nice, looks good. Well done.

FunkMaster
11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
man i was waiting for this one! lol. thanks for putting it up. you could have a bit more about his sticker bass tho.
more about his sticker bass? It's just a modulus flea with stickers all over it... It has some stickers of joy division and the ramones... I don't know what I could say more about this bass...

Final
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Nice, Flea was my main inspiration when I first started playing so my style is alot like his, but worse of course. Great article.

Greenday389
11-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Great article! I love Flea's style.

MetalUpTheAss
11-02-2005, 09:13 PM
more about his sticker bass? It's just a modulus flea with stickers all over it... It has some stickers of joy division and the ramones... I don't know what I could say more about this bass...

And a Circle Jerks sticker. :)

I watched Live in Slane castle last night... monster tone. Good article.

c-Rad
11-03-2005, 01:00 AM
didnt flea drop his sponsorship from modulus and take one from fender ????, cuase every picture i see of him these days is with a fender jazz and i remeber reading something on this forum about modulus not letting there endorsers use other basses or something??? could be wrong but good call on making this set up, I LOVE YOU

SpacedOut
11-03-2005, 06:49 AM
poop

Sorry!

*stickies*

Good article with a lot of info, but I also thought that Flea has ended his time with Modulus. In that pic of his amps he is playing a fender jazz & have been seeing him advertise with them more and more but I havent heard anythign to confirm or deny this yet.

FunkMaster
11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
I think fender would post it on their site if Flea was using fenders now.
And if you had a bass named after you by a good brand like Modulus, would you settle for a "regular" Fender?
And about that endorser thing, I think you read the thread on Asomodais bass. He has an endorsement by Yamaha and gets free string and such (correct me if I'm wrong).

SpacedOut
11-03-2005, 08:14 AM
I think fender would post it on their site if Flea was using fenders now.
And if you had a bass named after you by a good brand like Modulus, would you settle for a "regular" Fender?

I was thinking the same thing, it just seems weird to me that he is using Fender Jazz basses & not the modulus equivalent. Oh well.

Bassilo
11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
My thinks its because
a) he *did* use Jazz basses quite extensively
b) Fender is one rich ass company willing to spend another $100000+ on product endorsment =)

Charlatan_001
11-05-2005, 04:42 AM

You sir, are the first person I've ever heard say that.

doormatt
11-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Does RHCP even make music anymore? I'm a huge fan, but the last i heard from them wus fortune faded.

JayJayE
11-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Does RHCP even make music anymore? I'm a huge fan, but the last i heard from them wus fortune faded.

Apparently they have a new album coming out. Looking forward to it, but I still feel their peak was Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

But as bands like Tool ;) have proven, taken your time in the studio is not always a bad thing.

doormatt
11-05-2005, 08:40 AM
yes, very true. RHCP's kinda gone alternative instead of funk rock as they used to be, but i still dig their stuff. When's Tool's album going to come out? I can't wait for both of them!

Mascot
11-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I've been waiting for Tool to come out with new material for so long. . .

Cmoney
11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
i hope flea dosent end with modulus and join fender because i hate fenders and i thing they should all die

Cmoney
11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
love flea though

MetalUpTheAss
11-09-2005, 12:01 AM
I think Modulus is really full of jerks if they don't let people use other basses.

FunkMaster
11-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Doesnt every company that endorses some fameous player do that?

samlynch
11-09-2005, 05:34 AM
surely flea is allowed to chose his own bass??

MetalUpTheAss
11-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Doesnt every company that endorses some fameous player do that?

Not really... Hammett has an ESP endorsement, yet he's still allowed to use Jackson Randy Rhoads models.

hendrix1194
11-10-2005, 03:35 AM
^^they can use other guitars, just as long as they are seen with there endorsment guitars for a certain period of the show.

TomD03
11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I hear all this talk about flea being a genious, meh....

Sure, he's had some good riffs...Genious? no.
I appreciate that he can improvise some great licks and be able to play/remember/record them, but i've seen his instructional dvd and by the time it finished I was more confuzed about playing bass then before i watched it.

He does use some nice gear tho, the modulus + GK is a killer combination

UtBDan
11-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I hear all this talk about flea being a genious, meh....

Sure, he's had some good riffs...Genious? no.
I appreciate that he can improvise some great licks and be able to play/remember/record them, but i've seen his instructional dvd and by the time it finished I was more confuzed about playing bass then before i watched it.

I'd say he is a genius. He was stoned out of his brain on the DVD.

Have you heard the Search & Destroy live jam from the Off the Map DVD? I posted an mp3 of it a long time ago on here, I may send it to you privately... it's not technically impressive, but when you consider all except the very first bassline after Search & Destroy (I've seen 3 S&D jams and the only thing in common is that, it's the starting point) is improvised, I can't see why anyone would believe he isn't a genius.

TomD03
11-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I'd say he is a genius. He was stoned out of his brain on the DVD.

Have you heard the Search & Destroy live jam from the Off the Map DVD? I posted an mp3 of it a long time ago on here, I may send it to you privately... it's not technically impressive, but when you consider all except the very first bassline after Search & Destroy (I've seen 3 S&D jams and the only thing in common is that, it's the starting point) is improvised, I can't see why anyone would believe he isn't a genius.

Yes, I have seen this. And i've seen the peppers live...

I agree, his playing is nice, but sometimes I just find it flashy. His double thumb style isn't really all that, what he's doing (sry this explination will be horrible) is
1: lightly pressing down on a fret on E or A
2: Slapping down, making a muted note
3: pushing down the light finger
4: slapping again

that makes it sound like a fast slap, its a technique i use sometimes if i feel the need to be flashy in front of a ton of non-bass players :D try it out, it takes a bit to get used to it, and my explination was crap

littzain
11-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Flea rocks, I love how he's not cocky.

83lespaulstudio
11-13-2005, 06:33 PM
nice BGOTM: thank you, FunkMaster :cool:

FunkMaster
11-14-2005, 11:37 AM
anytime

*takes of his high hat*

Profound
11-20-2005, 04:56 PM
If you've only heard good things about him and not actually heard him playing don't say you hate the Chili Peppers.

Profound
11-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes, I have seen this. And i've seen the peppers live...

I agree, his playing is nice, but sometimes I just find it flashy. His double thumb style isn't really all that, what he's doing (sry this explination will be horrible) is
1: lightly pressing down on a fret on E or A
2: Slapping down, making a muted note
3: pushing down the light finger
4: slapping again

that makes it sound like a fast slap, its a technique i use sometimes if i feel the need to be flashy in front of a ton of non-bass players :D try it out, it takes a bit to get used to it, and my explination was crap
hes the total opposite of flashy....he's very modest and just because hes really good doesn't mean all of his songs require him to play with so much energy that he just explodes at the end of the concert....we go to hear good music not to criticize him on the difficulty of what hes playing cause it sounds good.

Killibinizik
11-25-2005, 09:00 PM
I totally love Flea, his playing style, and the RHCPs' in general, but him using fender j's now just seems to boggle me. He built his unique style with the MM Stingray, and subsequently a signature Modulus that is based of the Stingray, and the sudden switch to the Fender Jazz doesnt make sense. True he could be trying to play with a different sound on the upcoming album but the switch is still odd to me.

Anways its boosted my love for the Fender J I have now that he's playing on them ;). However Tim Com., JPJ, and John Entwistle are my biggest influences despite the fact that I own every album that Flea has played on :p. Anyways great description of the rig! Mad props!

mong12345
11-26-2005, 11:54 AM
so i like rhcp i learn fleas basslines and do covers of thier songs along with others in my band but what is the big deal with flea? why not stu hamm, John Myung (dream theater,) John Paul Jones? well ye i think he's dead but still they are all great players,
i think people who like flea (i'm not saying i don't) have heard rhcp and thought great player think i'll copy him but if u listen to more genres of music you'll see that flea is no genius he is "one" of the great bass players out there not "the best"
rhcp just play a very good source of unique music to improvise over and given time anyone could come with impressive basslines, i think he just has a lot of oppurtunity to
play around with

oh yeah and the guy who made this thread your way over the top;)who cares what gear flea has go get your own it doesn't sound any better than any other gear

UtBDan
11-26-2005, 12:22 PM
JPJ isn't dead.

There's a difference between being a genius and being the best. I said he was a genius.

And its a series of threads called Bassist Gear of the Month. The whole point is to see what gear a certain bassist uses. And Flea's gear is significantly better sounding than most gear, as most 2 stack setups sound better than what most here can afford.
You moron.

mong12345
11-26-2005, 01:33 PM
f**k you i was trying to put a point across that he is a great player but not the best
anyway if u wonna see ppls gear visit http://www.guitargeek.com/ to see most ppls rigs
i still don't think fleas gear sounds that good

easy_target
11-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Nice article. I love Flea, I too, think he is a genius, but hell, that's only my opinion.

UtBDan
11-27-2005, 11:09 AM
f**k you i was trying to put a point across that he is a great player but not the best
anyway if u wonna see ppls gear visit http://www.guitargeek.com/ to see most ppls rigs
i still don't think fleas gear sounds that good

you asked who cares what gear Flea has, when the whole point of this thread is we care what gear Flea has. That's the whole point of the series of articles. I'm not a mod or anything, but that just seems anti-the-forum to me. I realize I was overly mean and I apologize for that.

mong12345
11-27-2005, 01:15 PM
ok your right actually i heard the gear he's using at the moment and it sound pretty smooth but check out this guy if u havent already he's better than flea for sure hehe http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7123164409752792753&q=paul+gilbert

FunkMaster
11-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I don't think Flea is a great player when it comes to technique. There are players out there that I think are much better technically. But I think Flea is great because he always puts up a great show. But that is another discussion. Here we discuss his rig and if it is good or not.

Bulletbass man
12-27-2005, 11:30 PM
:headbang: as a nineties man myself chilis are the **** :headbang:

BassSurfer
01-04-2006, 07:58 AM
fleas bass's are great i love his style and all of his techniques.

Roc8995
01-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't play bass or ever even come into the bass forum but I love Flea's sound and had to check this out. Well done, funkmaster!

F@ Man
01-10-2006, 11:20 AM
ok your right actually i heard the gear he's using at the moment and it sound pretty smooth but check out this guy if u havent already he's better than flea for sure hehe http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7123164409752792753&q=paul+gilbert

I Lol'd!!!!!!!

thanks FunkMaster, great article

isnt it about time for a new BGOTM?

FunkMaster
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
jup, I thought tim commerford was up next... if this is still up next mont I'll look if I can write another one...

JAJBass817
01-18-2006, 06:06 PM
i like the rig and i like his style as a player, he is very good.
but i always hear how you all say hes the best with his live solos and all but i can never find them so if u could get me a like to where to get them or a direct link to the mp3 that'd be great

aussieguitarman
01-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I may not play bass but I love the chilis and I swear when I do pick up bass it will be because of flea

good thread btw threadstarter always wondered what gear flea used

:peace:

fleajr_1412
06-03-2007, 05:46 AM
great job man but he does use a dulop wah on higher ground

myearshurt
06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
:golfclap:

Are you sure all his basses have BadAss II Bridges? :(

AboveTheBridge
06-03-2007, 09:47 AM
As mentioned before, he did use Fender Jazz basses quite extensively. He mainly used a 62' Pink Shell Custom bass that he recorded Californication and Stadium Arcadium with. He also used an artic white bass as a back up for a while I believe. Of course recently he's been using the Modulus on the live tours but he'd been using the 62' Pink shell custom bass beforehand (Non-reissue, btw. He recieved it for FREE from a friend)

elemenohpee
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
great job man but he does use a dulop wah on higher ground

WHY DID YOU BRING THIS THREAD BACK.

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THE FIRST POST. WHY!?

myearshurt
06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
WHY DID YOU BRING THIS THREAD BACK.

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THE FIRST POST. WHY!?

HAHAHA x 100000000

I did NOT notice that, oh man that's funny

UtBDan
06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
lol I wasn't a mod when this was first posted..

mattreid222
06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/uploads/or_pedalsb.jpg

Big muff as well, dunno when this photo was taken though.

tomwm1
06-03-2007, 03:54 PM
the q tron is the best peadal ever