santeria

PDA

View Full Version : santeria

~~_Kon_tiki_~~
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
What are some bands that sound like the style of music produced in sublimes santeria? You know like reggae i guess.

FretPopper
11-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Most ska bands.

~~_Kon_tiki_~~
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Really? No Way. I know sublime is considered ska Im talking about the song santeria like i said. Songs that sound like badfish an santeria and all that jazz.

ScummerVacation
11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Really? No Way. I know sublime is considered ska Im talking about the song santeria like i said. Songs that sound like badfish an santeria and all that jazz.

Hey guess what, your musical tastes suck and everyone in the world is better than you and you use way to many periods. Piss on santeria, those slaves should have just conformed and CONVERTED.

johnnynemo
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Most 2 Tone era ska bands also have some reggae songs.

The Specials songs "Ghost Town" and "Doesn't Make It All Right", English Beat "Doors Of Your Heart" are what I think of off the top of my head.

Or some of the original "punky reggae" like the Clash's "White Man In Hammersmith Palais" or their cover of Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" & Stiff Little Finger's cover of "Johnny Was" and "Mr. Fire Coal Man".

capsfan17
11-02-2005, 04:10 PM
damn you johnny, you took the words out of my mouth

might I also add evlis costello on chelsea and watching the detectives

telex289
11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
try listening to some 311. theyre similar to sublime (very different at the same time) but most people who like 311, like sublime and vice versa.

bassmo_part2
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
You might like a little band called The Slackers. Just buy some ska compilations(from all waves) and you're pretty much guaranteed some good new bands.

p.s ~ I love Santeria to :D

ScummerVacation
11-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Just kidding about earlier of course, anyhow I think the Police have a reggae rock sound to alot of their songs.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
11-02-2005, 11:53 PM
If you like Santeria, you'll love Slightly Stoopid.
It's basicly a Sublime-rip-off-the-sound-kind-of-band.

I personally don't like Sublime, or Slightly Stoopid.
But for that kind of mellow'd sound, I'd recommend Slightly Stoopid.

(And pretty much any English Beat song is old school Reggae. But keep in mind that old school Reggae doesn't sound quite like Sublime. But you'll learn where Sublime's roots came from.)

pInK_eLePhAnT
11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Try some Bedouin Soundclash.

~~_Kon_tiki_~~
11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey guess what, your musical tastes suck and everyone in the world is better than you and you use way to many periods. Piss on santeria, those slaves should have just conformed and CONVERTED.
:cry: you.hurted. my. feeling. man. that. hurts.

Thanks for the input dudes. Ill check the stuff out. Im craving some good reggae style lead guitar. :D

Iluvpowerchords
11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
If you like Santeria, you'll love Slightly Stoopid.
It's basicly a Sublime-rip-off-the-sound-kind-of-band.

I personally don't like Sublime, or Slightly Stoopid.
But for that kind of mellow'd sound, I'd recommend Slightly Stoopid.

(And pretty much any English Beat song is old school Reggae. But keep in mind that old school Reggae doesn't sound quite like Sublime. But you'll learn where Sublime's roots came from.)

Slightly Stoopid is a carbon copy of Sublime. Execpt with even more songs about weed (and it is very hard to write more songs with reference to weed than Sublime, yet somehow they pull it off)

I don't really like Slightly Stoopid, but Sublime is possibly my favorite band of all time.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Slightly Stoopid is a carbon copy of Sublime. Execpt with even more songs about weed (and it is very hard to write more songs with reference to weed than Sublime, yet somehow they pull it off)

I don't really like Slightly Stoopid, but Sublime is possibly my favorite band of all time.
I'd really get into Sublime, if the stereotypical fans were different.
Most of the kids that I know that listen to them are either A: Going through a 'Sublime-phase' or B: Obsessed about Mary Jane.

And trendies/overlyobsessedpotheads are one of my least favorite kinds of people.

Iluvpowerchords
11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd really get into Sublime, if the stereotypical fans were different.
Most of the kids that I know that listen to them are either A: Going through a 'Sublime-phase' or B: Obsessed about Mary Jane.

And trendies/overlyobsessedpotheads are one of my least favorite kinds of people.

Yeah I know what you're saying.

I'm probably the only non stoner at my school who is into Sublime. My friend is too, but it's only a passing intrest and he is fairly trendy when it comes to musical taste.

I've been accused of stonerdom a few times, but It's always by people who don't know me. Those people who do know me know that I hate the stuff.

I also hate people who won't shut up about weed, if you wanna get higher than snoop dog every night thats cool with me but I don't want to hear about it every second of every day.

Diversity
12-02-2005, 08:33 PM
i love sublime because i think brad nowell is one of the greatest musicians of our time. beautiful voice, simple yet sweet guitar work and incredible songs.

Adrian_visser
05-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Rip Bradley . ...

angusfenderbend
05-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Yo this thread is ****in old. Slightly Stoopid is nothing like Sublime. And noone mentioned pepper, the mad caddies, or LBDA.

the glue man
05-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Bob Marley

I hate how people associate every reggea-type thing with marijuana.

And where's the offical place to post stuff about reggea?

Warm-And-Fuzzy
05-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Yo this thread is ****in old. Slightly Stoopid is nothing like Sublime. And noone mentioned pepper, the mad caddies, or LBDA.

:haha

Slightly Stoopid and Pepper are straight up carbon copies of Sublime!

*This is the official place to talk about reggae, I guess.
A Ska/Reggae/Dub forum would make more sense than a Punk/Ska one, but whatever.
:peace:

DisgruntledDuck
05-07-2006, 07:21 AM
The Allentons
Long Beach Dub Allstars(I swear some of them were in Sublime...don't quote me on that though)
Toots and the Maytals

GNR-4-Ever
05-08-2006, 05:01 AM
:haha

Slightly Stoopid and Pepper are straight up carbon copies of Sublime!

They have their small differences....

Pepper isn't quite as experimental, and they are more obsessed with sex. Slightly stoopid obviously do an ounce of weed daily...and their songs reflect it. Of course, sublime wrote about those subjects as well.

Also, Pepper is from Kona Town, you know! Yeah, they are a pretty good source for sublime-esque songs, with a tinge of Hawaii in it.

And yes, Long Beach allstars is the survived members of Sublime, with a new singer. They didn't want to continue "Sublime" without Bradley....R.I.P. bro. Every time I watch the Santeria video, i have to hold back a small tear.