Playing and Singing

PDA

View Full Version : Playing and Singing

NotOneWithNames
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I havent been playing guitar long at all and i have a little ryhtum problem, but like everyhting that comes with practice. What i reall want to know is what songs can a newbie play and practice singing while i play? I can strum and pick alllllll day long, but if i say a word it all get boogered up. My neighbor suggested Hey Joe and Midnight Rider. Ive been messin with the Aqua Teens Hunger Force theme song and its working out alright. . . . . . . .Any Suggestions?

bambam
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
any simple song will do..back in the day.. i started with knocking on heavens door...just start with a simple progression get it done then time your singing..

Grunge
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Don't think about playing, its hard but you'll learn. It will happen faster when you MASTER (and I don't mean just know how to play it perfect, play it without looking... try doing other things like watching TV and playing and stuff) the piece and then try.

tweeres04
11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
I learned to sing and play by using the words as my counting. i.e. I'd find out what word was being said when the chord change was done and then use the lyrics to tell me when to change chords.

NotOneWithNames
11-02-2005, 08:02 PM
i can sit infront of my buddies while were drinkin beer, rock out on the guitar, and listen to the convo; but if i try and say a word. . . .i mess up. The songs i play are fairly easy to play and i dont have to look at the frets or strings, i jsut cant play and sing or even talk for that matter at the same time. I play What I Got by Sublime and everyone will sing, but when i try and join in i **** up.

monkeyguitar78
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Try "Time of your Life" Green Day. I think that was the first song I learned to play and sing at the same time. Just scout around for easy songs and practice your ass off. Tweeres had good advice..use the lyrics to guide you.

RobbieMac2002
11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
a good practise tip for getting used to learning your guitar bit while not concentrating on it is find something on your screen... for example, a UG article... then play the song while reading the article...

make sure you actually read the article and not skim read it... if you can play the guitar fine while your mind is processing other stuff you are well on the way

raph8r
11-03-2005, 12:17 AM
i wouldnt know but i hear that working your way up from talking or humming works well

NotOneWithNames
11-03-2005, 01:10 AM
wow. . . . .. .i really appreciate everyones advice. thank you very much.

Javie18
11-04-2005, 01:15 AM
If you're beginning to learn to sing and play at the same time, this is my suggestion: Keep away from the more complex strumming patterns.

Usually the easiest songs to play/sing along with are songs that have droning struming. Any pop/punk/emo song will do (well, not any, but most)

Hope that helps.

Rhinosaur Bones
11-05-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm trying to kind of teach myself how to sing and play just for my own amusement, and having the same troubles. The first song I successfully played and sung was Mother by Pink Floyd, which is only a three or four chord song and a really easy rhythm. As someone else said, a good trick is to know what word or syllable you sing when you change chords, so then you can concentrate just on your voice right up until that moment, and then think about playing for the brief instant when you change.

Another good tip is to just play the song through a few times without singing, just to get the rhythm planted in your head, and then start singing it. Just play the first bar a few times through or something, and then sing along. Humming along with your playing can also help, because then you don't have to think about words, just melody.

RED XIII
11-05-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm trying to play "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and sing, but my rhythm goes off and I start playing the song really fast. I think you should know the whole song and be able to play it perfectly before you try to sing it.

WrathofKahn
11-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I learned to sing and play by using air guitar (sorta). I would fingure out the strum pattern and "strum" while singing... then I'd learn the rest of the song.

My first was "Polly" by Nirvana... I still play that one today!

NotOneWithNames
11-06-2005, 02:49 AM
what about Roads by Blindside. . . . . . . . . . .i mean it doesnt get any easier then that song and i still have probems with it. . . . . ..

flytv12
11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
My first was tears in heavan by eric clapton, it seems like its a hard one to do but the singing is very similar to the guitar melody so its pretty easy.

TheDarkestNights
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
iron man - black sabbath. the singing is the same tune as the guitar part so its rlly easy. its all i can do with singing and guitar

doctor_rocker
11-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I dont remember my first singin and playing song, but I just got into it by practicing the crap outta the guitar and the vocals and then practicing them together until I could do it well with both. Now I can pick up most songs and play and sing.

The easiest songs to start on are songs with mostly/all chords making up the guitar. I simple one for me was Turn the Page by Bob Seger

hyoumper
11-19-2005, 02:47 PM
side by travis, is a simple song to play with an easy rhythm, not a lot of chords in it either!

Chubz
11-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Morningstar-AFI

I'm in the same position as you, started that one last night tho its good

scottc
11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Basically any blink-182 is easy to learn. After you get better and want a bit of a challenge, try All My Life - Foo Fighters.

zoltan256
11-20-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure if you like these but it might help
Holiday-Green Day (First song I did)
All the small things-Blink 182 (actually most blink182 songs are easy)
Dope Nose, Don't let go, Crab-Weezer
Universally speaking-Red Hot CHilli peppers

Rhinosaur Bones
11-20-2005, 08:47 AM
I just learnt Neil Young's 'Keep On Rockin' In The Free World' and Bob Dylan's 'Ballad of a Thin Man'. Go me!

zRoCkIsAdDiCtIn
11-20-2005, 09:10 AM
devil in jersey city by coca for me

microbe1991
11-20-2005, 09:13 AM
If I try and sing and play at the same time everything just goes BOING!!! and it all screws up.

I guess it all just comes with practice

semus
11-20-2005, 11:00 AM
i found that the better u know the words, the easier it gets..
i mean, when u know the words good enough, and the melody of the vocals,
from hearin or practicing enough times, then u dont have to concentrate
on it when ur playing. when u play and sing at the same time u concentrate
on playing the guitar, singing the write words and melody, be on time, and phrasing and
singng the words right.
when u know the words good enough u dont have to concentrate on it,
when u played it enough times so u dont have to concentrate on moving ur fingers around.

start up by songs u know good enough, both lyrics and how to play it,
it will be easy so ull be able to feel good about it, and it will help u develop
coordination.

The_Jackal
11-13-2007, 05:37 AM
this will DEFINATELY help you. when i play i usually use my drummer as kind of a metronome, but when we record i just lay the guitar track out then do the vocals, but as far as the playing while singing, most bands if you listen carefully the drummer will change the rhythym he is playing as the chord progression changes also you can use the lyrics to know when to change chords as stated before. a good song to practice playing and singing to is Sliver by Nirvana. there are only 3 chords the whole song and the lyrics are easy to remember after u hear the song. the main thing is to not loose sight of your goal, so many potential musicians give up when they reach this point. hope this helps.

-Ryan
Bobble-Dead Guitarist

The_Jackal
11-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Also, i forgot to add that if you play Guitar hero, practice the song while singing it that's how i train my friends then i move them onto Nirvana's Sliver as i told you before.