Who Likes Shadows Fall?

PDA

View Full Version : Who Likes Shadows Fall?

STRAT811
11-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I guess these guys would be in here. Theyre not welcome in the metal/nu metal forums so being an amazing metalcore band, I wondered if anyone liked em.

Their latest CD The War Within is great. I haven't heard of their old stuff though. Jon Donias is a really good guitar player as far as speed goes, there isn't a whole lot of feeling in his solos but in this genre it is ok.

So if anyone loves/hates/likes them then lets discuss.

Combat
11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
OH OH I hate them. i think their solos suck for the most part and their song structure is so retarded because their intros dont go with the songs at all. i personally dont think theyre metalcore because they dont sound like it.

tinblimp9340
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
You would get more replies If this were in the metal forum.
Not my cup of tea.

Combat
11-03-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah he would get more flaming.. theyre not metal either,even though theyre closer to that them metalcore

LedZeppelin
11-03-2005, 07:21 PM
The Art Of Balance kicks the shit out of War Within. It's a lot more diverse and has better solos and arrangements in general. War Within was kind of their Black Album- they're coming close to selling out. Art of Balance is their Master of Puppets (classic) and Of One Blood is their Kill 'Em All (iffy recording, not very diverse).

stratstrummer40
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
^^ no no guys you got it all wrong.

theyre not classified as metal, metalcore OR hardcore.

theyre classified as horrible. yeah im pretty sure thats it.

burn_the_lamb_
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
shadows fall kicks your ass. war within wasnt their greatest but it had some pretty decent songs. enlightened by the cold, stillness, powere of i and i, and those who cannot speak are some pretty badass songs....but still none as good as deadworld

funkmasterswede
11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
I personally never saw anything good about this band; very mediocre to below average in my mind. And yeah i must agree with their classification as horrible not metal, metalcore or hardcore.

xdespairfactor
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
i personally love Shadows Fall. Donais is sweet.

Gomorrah
11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
I used to be upsessed with this band. I got The Art Of Balance autographed by everyone in the band.

)Eric(Draven
11-04-2005, 08:14 AM
My friend's pretty into them, I play their stuff here and there just so he and I have something to play, but other than that I"m not really into them. It's just boring.

slashwyldepage
11-04-2005, 09:27 AM
theyre kind of not fun to listen to.

whenever finish listening to them i feel dirty, like i just did roof construction or something.

bat69420
11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Shadows fall is great. fire in babylon ranks high on my to 10 list. The war w/in was kind of monotonous, still good though.

Bleeding Black
11-04-2005, 09:41 AM
theyre boring

Kutless
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I lik 'em

Combat
11-04-2005, 11:39 PM
i think one of their biggest downfalls is their new vox. along with other things, but thats one of the main reasons.

benchiefjr
11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah, Brian Fair I can stand somewhat on The Art of Balance, but their new cd IMO is trash save for a few songs. He also can't sing/scream worth a **** live...or so i've seen. Also, they've got a DVD coming out the 15th, i'm going to get it only because i've been waiting forever for it.

LedZeppelin
11-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Brian isn't awful. His lyrics are pretty bad but his scream is very good. Reminds me of Behemoth because of the sheer power of it. But he kind of sucks at singing and ends up reminding me of the singer of Korn, which is not a good thing.

metallicafan180
11-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Shadows Fall is great! The War Within is my favorite CD from 'em so far.

shadows666
11-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I guess these guys would be in here. Theyre not welcome in the metal/nu metal forums so being an amazing metalcore band, I wondered if anyone liked em.

Their latest CD The War Within is great. I haven't heard of their old stuff though. Jon Donias is a really good guitar player as far as speed goes, there isn't a whole lot of feeling in his solos but in this genre it is ok.

*shakes head and sighs* Listen to the solo on "Stepping Outside the Circle" off of The Art of Balance and tell me that there's no feeling in it.

shadows666
11-05-2005, 03:29 PM
You would get more replies If this were in the metal forum.
Not my cup of tea.
Only if you count getting the sh*t flamed out of you as a reply, then yeah, you would be right.

lp_dude_2
11-06-2005, 04:02 AM
i ****ing love Shadows Fall. ever since i heard the song "thoughts without words" off the art of balance cd, theyve been one of my favorite bands. i really like war within but i think art of balance is better. and matt bachand is like my idol. he plays rythem, has a custom made Ibanez SZ, and i cant wait until my hair is long like his.

slayerbizkit
11-06-2005, 06:50 AM
OH OH I hate them. i think their solos suck for the most part and their song structure is so retarded because their intros dont go with the songs at all. i personally dont think theyre metalcore because they dont sound like it.

Man, you are out of you mind. If anything, Shadows Fall has The Best solos out of all metalcore bands.

STRAT811
11-06-2005, 03:22 PM
i wouldn't go that far... but donias sure has chops

Bloodletting77
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
i like them. they get somewhat boring after a while, but when you listen to them after not listening to them for a long time, it sounds good.

Green_Fox
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
never really got into them. they dont appeal to me that much. never really got interested in them

dazedandconfusd
11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I respect their guitarists, but the vocals really turned me off of ths band. I was never one for hardcore-ish vocals

hXcMacbeth3
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
cheesy...and vocalist makes me sick

PenCapChew
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I love them.
My favorite CD is the Art of Balance.

Butterknife
11-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I really like Shadows fall. I don't like it how they're classified as metalcore though, they don't sound like a hardcore band at all. I really like Brian as a singer as well, he has such power in his screaming.

ChurchNSkate
11-08-2005, 11:40 PM
They were one of my first metalcore bands (and one of my favorites) before I got off metalcore. Their guitarists definately have chops, I give them that. Pretty decent riffs and not bad solos either.
They're NOT metal though. You would get flamed like no other forum for putting a SF thread in there.

Butterknife
11-10-2005, 08:50 AM
/\/\/\ One question though, in all seriousness and in looking for a well explained answer, How are they not metal?

LedZeppelin
11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
*sigh*... they have clean passages and have gotten very poppy on The War Within. Example: What Drives The Weak, basically a pop song. And they ripped the riffs off of Thoughts Without Words, evidence that they're having trouble coming up with new material.

They have very hardcore lyrics about pain, rising up, rebellion, etc. And the vocals are not anywhere near metal.

They're closer to metal than metalcore but very much in the middle. And they've pretty much sold out with The War Within. If they were metal they'd be melodeath, but listen to Arch Enemy then Shadows Fall...the AE arrangements are much more varied and complex. It's hard to explain but if you listen to a lot of real metal you would see it much more clearly. It's like when people ask why LoG isn't metal, they just aren't, end of story.

ending_credits
11-15-2005, 03:43 PM
^^ no no guys you got it all wrong.

theyre not classified as metal, metalcore OR hardcore.

theyre classified as horrible. yeah im pretty sure thats it.

just because they are more talented that every band you listen to does no make them horrible. I do not think they belong in this forum, I dont understand why most of the people in the metal forum hate them. They are not hardcore or metalcore, they are too good for that classification!

Jack3n665.5
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Shadows Fall is one of my favorite bands. I like em a lot and war within was pretty good. They are kind of soft, but there fun to listen to. Their music has a lot of energy in their recording, and although I find War Within hard to listen to continously its a good albulm.

Guitarbill387
11-17-2005, 02:24 AM
I am from Westfield Mass., home of Killswitch Engage and neighboring city to Springfield, home of Shadows Fall. I got into metalcore through Joel from KSE so I started listening to Shadows Fall too since there all friends and everyone's all 'you gotta listen to them'. So for the past few years I was a Shadows Fall fan, I loved there albums, but this summer I finally made it to Ozzfest, twice. I was exited to see them live but was very disappointed at there performance. I'm still not sure what it was lacking but at both shows (Boston and Hartford) the overall sound and feel of the band just wasn't good. I am no longer a fan of them, I loved there studio album but if you cant recreate that onstage then honestly the album is fake. I can see doing a few crazy songs on an album made to be musical masterpieces but you don't play songs like that live, you need to be able to play the material you right and be able to make it sound good and get the vibe going, you know what I'm saying? Everyone around here loves them still, even after admitting that they sucked at Ozzfest, just because you see they guys at the mall doesn't mean you need to worship them.

Yea, so there it is, my Shadows Fall rant, used to love them, don't care about them anymore. Take it or leave it. Rock on.

shai_savant
11-17-2005, 03:48 AM
yeah werent good at ozzfest...but then again the only good bands at ozzfest were maiden and sabbath because the ozzfest crew didnt make the sound sound good until those bands came on

CSguitarvocal
11-17-2005, 11:19 AM
The Art Of Balance kicks the shit out of War Within. It's a lot more diverse and has better solos and arrangements in general. War Within was kind of their Black Album- they're coming close to selling out. Art of Balance is their Master of Puppets (classic) and Of One Blood is their Kill 'Em All (iffy recording, not very diverse).

Art of Balance > War Within

Somber Eyes to the Sky > All

:cheers:

beaster_bcrich
11-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Hey, i am new at this, so if i do anything wrong, don't get to mad at me.
I just wanted to say that i love Shadows Fall. From the moment i heard The Light That Blinds (first Shadows Fall song i heard), i was just hooked. From then i became almost obcessed, (but i still don't have a t-shirt). I am now learning The Light That Blinds, and it is NOT an easy song (praise to Matt Bachand and other great death metal gitarists). I also really like Arch Enemy and Kill Switch Engage, but Shadows Fall is still at the top of my list.

beaster_bcrich
11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey, I also really like Children of Bodom. i just love metal with a good keyboard.

DopeDanny
05-17-2006, 05:15 PM
You guys probably wont believe me but my buddy was a drummer in a band and he knows the drummer and the guys from SF,i dont really like em,i wish my buddy still had his band goin those guys kicked ass

STRAT811
05-17-2006, 09:26 PM
*shakes head and sighs* Listen to the solo on "Stepping Outside the Circle" off of The Art of Balance and tell me that there's no feeling in it.

I wasn't trying to belittle him at all, I was just saying that he tends to be more of a speedy, shreddy kind of player. Thode solos do own, though.

Primate-Primus
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I bet if you squeezed one of Brian Fair's dreadlocks, mayonaise would come out.

liesofautumn
05-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Lamb Of God is what Shadows Fall wishes they could be. Brian Fair licks. Jon is the only guy with any real ability or talent in the band, he sounds like he should be in Trivium(not sure if thats a good or bad thing)

slayerbizkit
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Lamb Of God is what Shadows Fall wishes they could be. Brian Fair licks. Jon is the only guy with any real ability or talent in the band, he sounds like he should be in Trivium(not sure if thats a good or bad thing)

Bull****. Lamb Of God could learn a few things from Shadows Fall, such as how to play solos.

Matt_Malmsteen
05-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I thing Shadows Fall are pretty ace, some really good riffs and solos.

But the singers dreads are horrible...just eucch...

SGRocker0791
05-18-2006, 08:02 AM
I like them. I have War Within and it's good IMO.

ChrisPetrie
05-18-2006, 08:56 AM
generic metalcore, but ok.

BassNewbie
05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
only heard their new stuff and thats pretty good. love their guitaring =)

liesofautumn
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Bull****. Lamb Of God could learn a few things from Shadows Fall, such as how to play solos.

Your funny. For a second there I thought you were assuming that just because Lamb Of God's guitarist(s) don't play blazingly fast solos in every other song means that they can't. And if you ask me Shadows Fall could learn a whole encyclopedia of things from Lamb Of God, such as a less annoying kick drum sound. And not be the definition of generic metalcore...well them and Dead To Fall.

arc41190
05-20-2006, 07:59 PM
yea i like them a lot

Brian Fair graduated from my school

benchiefjr
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
um...I downloaded Fallout From the War...terribly boring and generic.

j1mi_h3ndrix
05-20-2006, 10:32 PM

1) i bet you cant play those solos
2) originality?
3) they're metalcore because of their breakdowns-dumbass

Jakeylee111
05-21-2006, 07:36 AM
The Art of Balance rules. They are the only metalcore band i like, the other just suck.
The solo in A Fire in Babylon is pretty much amazing.

s0nofabe4ch
05-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Definetly not amazing, but not bad either. I listen to them every now and then.

_ZE_
05-22-2006, 01:05 PM

wut the hell!?
Im not a huge Shadows Fall fan but their song structure is waaaaaaay better than most BTBAMs songs!

TeenBite
05-22-2006, 03:16 PM
I normally like generic commercial metalcore, but I don't get the hype around this bunch...

Davidian
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I fucking love SF, jon is my hero.

And i really like FOTW its allot faster and more balanced.

hXcMacbeth3
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
i think they are absolutely terrible...the growling (or whatever you call that crap he does) sounds disgusting, and when they try and do clean vocals, i actually feel sorry for them, because lots of people listen to that...

Ni!
07-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Of One Blood and earlier is great. But after that, GTFOH.

frd_marshll
07-06-2006, 02:59 AM
3) they're metalcore because of their breakdowns-dumbass

breakdowns don't make a band metalcore

terrencemaddox
07-06-2006, 03:10 AM
They're a good band for what they do. When I first heard them I was amazed and obsessed, but after awhile they started getting on my nerves. I also think Brian Fair is a moron (when I saw them live he said some pretty retarded things in between songs), and I also think that his image and lyrical content is pretty horrible and often very cheesy. For example, The Power of I and I? Is that a reference to the Rastafarian movement? If so, I find that laughable, especially because this is more evidence leading me to my theory that he thinks he is Rastafarian, which I highly doubt he actually knows anything about.

That said, I must say that I think the guitar playing is really impressive.

slayerbizkit
07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Honestly, I have never heard a metalcore breakdown in ANY Shadows Fall Song. If you can point one out, just one, I'd like to hear it.

Craigo
07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
These have to be one of the most boring band I have ever apporoached in my time of listening music in this genre.

Simple as that :)

Punk as atticus
07-07-2006, 02:33 AM
SF rules in my book, i understand why people think no. i can hear songs like stepping outside the circle and thats one of the few examples i think where'd they'd be considered metalcore. they seem like thrash metal nowadays, with a bit of metalcore. i just don't understand that genre, i hear KSE then i hear SF and they're considered the same genre?! wtf? they started classifying metal bands so you know what your about to listen to or so you know what to look for, but metalcore....wow that classification has lost that purpose.

but i think the war within is their best album, art of balance ruled but i think the war within kicked it up a bit, but i have more favorite songs off of art of balance. fallout had like 4 good songs and the rest sounded the same, i hope things go well w/them when they sign to atlantic, i want to see these guys get huge. but keep things diverse and fresh at the same time. matt bachand and jon donais are the next hetfield and hammett, and i think sf is like the next metallica quite frankly, they seem like they could rule the world like metallica did for a while. the drummer is insane, the bass sucks, if you pay attention to it it just rattles and it sounds terribble. and brian fair. wow those dreads are huge, but i heard dreads are absolutely disgusting and unclean, but his vox, his scream/roar is unbelievably powerful, it doesn't even sound like he's using his false folds at times, the only thing i dislike is when he does ''hardcore vocals'' to where it sounds raspy like he's yelling yet he's singing. quite terribble, i think they have a LOT of potential though, they still haven't lived up to it, the art of balance was their best effort at living up to their potential, they just need to do that when they get signed over to atlantic.

well done w/my rant.