DRUGS in music.......

PDA

View Full Version : DRUGS in music.......

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I started this thread in the Blues forum. Wondering what you classic rockers think......

As we all know, alot of the greatest musicians used drugs at some point in their careers. What are your thoughts about drugs and the roll they play in music?

How many musicians can you think of that didn't/don't use drugs?

Dark_Sanity
11-04-2005, 09:59 AM
i think it expands their minds then destroys it. the only person i can think of that hasn't did drugs is gene simmons but who cares about him right? it's not classoc rock but the guys in slayed don't do drugs, they just drink. other than that i'm aout of people man. this'll be a good one...

Skadogg
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I've read Frank Zappa didn't do drugs are drink even, just coffee and cigs like a madman.

I'm not sure if drugs make for better musicians, but 99% of my musician friends smoke weed, and more than half do hallucinegenics or hard drugs. And now that I'm older (close to 30), I still have a LOT of friends that party their balls off. Musicians are party people, party people drink, and do other things.....

Dark_Sanity
11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
**slayer** sorry

coldethyl
11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
IMO a musician can be just as successful, if not more so, by not taking drugs and I can think of one band in particular that were known as a non-drug band and that is Deep Purple!

I don't think that drugs have any place in music!

Just look at all the "great one's" that have died because of drugs...
Keith Moon comes to mind as does Mike Bloomfield, Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Bolin, Janis Joplin, Phil Lynott, Brent Mydland, Gram Parsons, Elvis Presley, Gary Thain, Paul Butterfield, etc.

What a waste!

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Keith Moon comes to mind as does Mike Bloomfield, Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Bolin, Janis Joplin, Phil Lynott, Brent Mydland, Gram Parsons, Elvis Presley, Gary Thain, Paul Butterfield, etc.

What a waste!

I agree, but did drugs in any way influence or inspire the spectacular music some of these people made?

Beatlemaniac87
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I think drugs in life r bad, however their influence in music is creative and almost always necessary.

"we are all on drugs!"

Rock1986
11-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Drugs pretty much destroyed Syd Barret's mind didn't they.

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 03:48 PM

That they did..... :eek:

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 04:14 PM
^Yeah that was really unfortunate.

Most of the artists in the 60's/70's that did drugs, used them for creative purposes. That explains why so many were using hallucinegenics to alter their mind and precipetion. Alot of great songs were written under the influence, but I know that I would rather write a great song when clean. It would give me a greater sense of achivement and personal confidence. Some people just need that extra boost though..

BrainDamage
11-04-2005, 04:16 PM
^Yeah that was really unfortunate. some people will argue that it wasn't ;)

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 04:20 PM
some people will argue that it wasn't ;)

Why? We lost a great psychedelic mind after he went crazy.

LP57blackbeauty
11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
If it wasn't for drugs we'd be wathcing Jimi Hendrix, Bon Scott, Jim Morrison and many other dead rockstars on their own MTV reality shows.

BrainDamage
11-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Why? We lost a great psychedelic mind after he went crazy. but that led to the latter Floyd which gave us Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, etc. I'm not saying Syd was bad, but some people (me included) prefer the post-Syd material.

frippogenics
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Drugs are the best and worst thing to happen to music.

Jammer39
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Nah drugs and music go hand in hand dude. It all started with pot and jazz. Then it grew and grew and grew.

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
but that led to the latter Floyd which gave us Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, etc. I'm not saying Syd was bad, but some people (me included) prefer the post-Syd material.

Ah, I see. In that case, I suppose it was a good thing, or chance of luck anyways. I also prefer the post-Syd Floyd.

Maet
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
It depends.

Are we talking drugs for the sake of drugs and partying? Or drugs for the sake of creating music?

For the former, don't see why not. I believe in free will, so that's simply what I think. If you can do it, and you want to, and it abides by your personal morals, than why not?

For the latter, I think it's horrible. It's fun, granted. But It just doesn't fly. People stoned off their asses shouldn't be near music at all imo.

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Nah drugs and music go hand in hand dude. It all started with pot and jazz. Then it grew and grew and grew.

Many native cultures have used Hallucinogenic substances in rituals involving various instruments such as percussion for thousands of years if not longer..........

Wankmasterwak
11-04-2005, 05:17 PM
IMO a musician can be just as successful, if not more so, by not taking drugs and I can think of one band in particular that were known as a non-drug band and that is Deep Purple!

What a waste!

Keith actually died bacause he was getting off drugs. He needed anti seizure meds to stop drinking, and he accidentally over-dosed.

If it wasn't for drugs we'd be wathcing Jimi Hendrix, Bon Scott, Jim Morrison and many other dead rockstars on their own MTV reality shows.

In that case I'm happy they all died.

I myself believe that drugs are not necessary to make great music, look at Zappa, but they can be "bennificial" to the creative process.

al_
11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
IMO a musician can be just as successful, if not more so, by not taking drugs and I can think of one band in particular that were known as a non-drug band and that is Deep Purple

Deep purple were druggies werent they... WHat about the song space truckin??

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
......... People stoned off their asses shouldn't be near music at all imo.

Jimi Hendrix?!?

JkHalen
11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I do belive that drugs have given plenty of artist many doors to more creative music, riffs, etc. But they can also be the downfall of many amazing influential artists. "Some times I'd have this great riff in my mind and by the time I got to my guitar to make the riff existant, I would forget it because I was so high" -EVH.

boothy
11-04-2005, 07:02 PM
ah the good old debate... all i can say is it's personal choice.

IF is a pointless question. who knows what would have happened if hendrix was still alive? noone.

We can but wonder.

It didn't happen, we can look to the stars and wonder what we want...

sorry i'm in a real dreamlike drunk mode at the moment...

ufossuck
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
There' been plenty of good band and artists that weren't on drugs. The Guess Who, April Wine, Neil Young, B.T.O.... come to think about it, I guess it was just the Canadians.

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 08:19 PM
There' been plenty of good band and artists that weren't on drugs. The Guess Who, April Wine, Neil Young, B.T.O.... come to think about it, I guess it was just the Canadians.

Neil Young was far from sober. Have you seen the Last Waltz? Scorsese spent $5000 editing a Cocaine ball from Neil Youngs nose! I highly doubt The Guess Who were sober either. Did you read that somewhere?

metal_head_#1
11-04-2005, 10:41 PM
the guess who werent completely sober, but berton had a point along the road where he was on drugs, not for long, though

oh and neil young was FAR from sober, as ^he^ put it

dionysus85
11-04-2005, 10:59 PM
but that led to the latter Floyd which gave us Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, etc. I'm not saying Syd was bad, but some people (me included) prefer the post-Syd material.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

look at PATGOD then compare them to Madcap Laughs and Barrett
thats the road Floyd would have gone down if he would have stayed

thank goodness for David Gilmour

ufossuck
11-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Neil Young was far from sober. Have you seen the Last Waltz? Scorsese spent $5000 editing a Cocaine ball from Neil Youngs nose! I highly doubt The Guess Who were sober either. Did you read that somewhere?
Neil Young went sober earlier on in his career after his friend, Danny Whitton, died. That inspred him to write "The Needle and the Damage Done". Also Randy Bachman is a mormon. He doesn't even drink coffee.

coldethyl
11-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Deep purple were druggies werent they... WHat about the song space truckin??

Deep Purple lay claim to the fact that they are and have always been a
"drinking band" only!

If you watch Deep Purple's Total Abandon Tour DVD, you will see an interview with Roger Glover and Ian Gillan where they state the above!

Jammer39
11-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Many native cultures have used Hallucinogenic substances in rituals involving various instruments such as percussion for thousands of years if not longer..........
Im saying in Modern time that helped spark drug use in music. It has always been around but not very popular until Jazz.

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Neil Young went sober earlier on in his career after his friend, Danny Whitton, died. That inspred him to write "The Needle and the Damage Done". Also Randy Bachman is a mormon. He doesn't even drink coffee.

didn't know that.........

Pl3h-B0y
11-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Did gilmour ever smoke?

I know that pink floyd aren't a druggie band, from what gilmour said in an interview from the "Live In Pompeii" DVD

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Did gilmour ever smoke?

I know that pink floyd aren't a druggie band, from what gilmour said in an interview from the "Live In Pompeii" DVD

For sure they all did. Floyd made some of the most trippy music ever played. It didn't get that way from having milk and cookies.

al_
11-05-2005, 11:27 AM
^^ :haha :haha :haha

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM

JackWhite1988
11-05-2005, 01:07 PM

nah, I'm pretty sure all of those guys would absolutely despise mainstream television. Same with John Lennon...those guys were just from a different time and even if they were alive now, they wouldn't want to be in the spotlight much.

JkHalen
11-05-2005, 02:24 PM
nah, I'm pretty sure all of those guys would absolutely despise mainstream television. Same with John Lennon...those guys were just from a different time and even if they were alive now, they wouldn't want to be in the spotlight much.
oh so very true...all of those "old artists" doing reality shows on mtv are sell outs..Hendrix, Bon Scott, etc would sell out...ever ;)

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 02:51 PM
KEITH RICHARDS:

"Usually drug taking in music starts off on a very, very mundane level-just keeping going to make the next gig. They're nothing i'd recommend to anybody, drugs, but it's a musicians life-it's very difficult to get anyone to understand. It's an underworld life, anyway. Musicians start to work when everybody else stops working and wants some entertainment. If you work enough, you're working 350 days a year because you want to fill up every gig. You reach a point very early on when you're sitting around in the dressing room with some other acts in the show and you say ' I've got to drive 500 miles tommorrow and do 2 shows and i can't make it!' And you look around at the other guys and say ' How the hell have you been making it for all these years?' And they say 'Well, baby, take one of these'. Musicians don't start off thinking 'we're rich and famous and lets get high'. It's a matter of making the next gig. Thats how it starts out, and it's usually speed. And once you've got past that, the next question is an escalation."

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
One of the most interesting aspects of LSD research is the relationship between the psychedelic state and the creative process. The work of many artists?painters, musicians, writers, and poets?who participated in LSD experimentation in various countries of the world has been deeply influenced by their psychedelic experiences.[1] Most of them found access to deep sources of inspiration in their unconscious mind, experienced a striking enhancement and unleashing of fantasy, and reached extraordinary vitality, originality and freedom of artistic expression. In many instances, the quality of their creations improved considerably, not only according to their own judgment or the opinion of the LSD researchers, but by the standards of their professional colleagues. At exhibitions which chronologically show the artist's development, it is usually easy to recognize when he or she had a psychedelic experience. One can typically see a dramatic quantum jump in the content and style of the paintings. This is particularly true of painters who, prior to their LSD experience, were conventional and conservative in their artistic expression.
Frequently, individuals who did not show any artistic inclinations at all prior to the LSD experience can create extraordinary pictures. It is not uncommon, however, for even the technical aspects of such drawings or paintings to be far superior to previous creations by the same subjects. Some individuals actually pursue in their everyday life the new skills they discover in their psychedelic sessions. In exceptional cases, a genuine artistic talent of extraordinary power and scope may emerge during the LSD procedure.

BrainDamage
11-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Did gilmour ever smoke?

I know that pink floyd aren't a druggie band, from what gilmour said in an interview from the "Live In Pompeii" DVD I know Waters did, I don't really know about the rest of the band though.

For sure they all did. Floyd made some of the most trippy music ever played. It didn't get that way from having milk and cookies. :rolleyes:

TUMFP
11-05-2005, 07:56 PM
i think some of you guys are wrong...some of u r saying that drugs are just essential to music, but honestly i think that that's wrong...i think you are all saying that because its just what has happend so far from the beginning...i mean if our minds are concieted to only knowing music on drugs how can we picture all of the artists who were using drugs off of them?

fenderfreak101
11-05-2005, 08:39 PM
using drugs to be creative in music is as bad as the pro baseball players who use steroids. If you cant put in the time and effort in your craft to produce something creative without the influence of drugs, then you shouldnt get credit when you finally produce something.

Nib high football rules!

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 09:02 PM
using drugs to be creative in music is as bad as the pro baseball players who use steroids. If you cant put in the time and effort in your craft to produce something creative without the influence of drugs, then you shouldnt get credit when you finally produce something.

I understand your point. But at the same time you're indirectly claiming that thousands of songs and performances by some of the greatest musicians of all time shouldn't be accounted for. Sober is the purist form but experiences and inspiration can sometimes influence someones creative output for the better. I'm not saying YOU should do these things, but your guitar heroes probably did. And steriods can't be compared. They are performance enhancers you take for a specific non-mind-altering purpose. Big difference to me. Also most of the greats spent a ridiculious amount of time mastering their craft without the influence of drugs. That doesn't mean they never did any though....

fenderfreak101
11-05-2005, 09:13 PM
you make a good point.

Obviously, like you said, experiences can alter and change the way people prodcue whatever they produce. However, i still think that artists who couldn't contribute to the genre without the influence of drugs should be less recognized as greats then bands who were able to focus their music into something creative without drugs.

Bands like Pink Floyd, who put out some of, if not, the most creative music in the world, and did so without the influence of drugs.

But then again, i find myself thinking, would Floyd have come up with half of their music if Syd had never been in their lives? Because, if you really think about it, everyone is influenced by drugs, whether they take them daily, have used the once, or just know someone who uses them.

Uncle Salty
11-05-2005, 09:48 PM
ooooo philosophical...
At first it SEEMS like drugs are okay to musicians because they can be a shortcut to creativity, but then you become addicted to drugs and it takes more and more drugs to reach that "nirvana" and you most likely will end up dying if you don't get help

Messer
11-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Literally made him freak out and go crazy, which is really sad because he had a very artistic and creative mind. IMO, he was a genius, he was the creativity center in early Pink Floyd. As far as it goes for the drugs making a good influence on him they kind of did but overall they destroyed him and his career. As for they good thing, they help him write Vegetable Man, which is basically about him cause hes like a vegetable where he did so many drugs.

AMERICAN PRICK
11-06-2005, 07:44 AM
:no: this thread smokes im off to smoke pot and play blck sabbath in jazz bars

jayr123guitar
11-06-2005, 01:36 PM
:no: this thread smokes im off to smoke pot and play blck sabbath in jazz bars

Curious to know how that went.......Sabbath.......Jazz Bars? That would be interesting.

Bmm386
11-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Oh my god!!! Classic rock bands did drugs!!!! This is such news!

Aerosmith is one of the only bands who were successful on and off drugs.

coldethyl
11-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Yeah, and it nearly finished them in the process!

jayr123guitar
11-06-2005, 02:25 PM
:cool:

AdayTripper
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM

I can think of another one. :D

me_and_my_esp
11-06-2005, 03:27 PM
the way i see it, drugs are a part of Classic Rock (for the most part) whether you like it or not. i think its pretty pathetic when you use drugs to boost your performance, but when you are just livin it up and partying like rock stars tend to do, i dont mind.

JkHalen
11-06-2005, 06:10 PM
i now have come to aperfect conclusion to why bands now suck..since they arent under drugs...they can't write as good as CR bands!!!

fenderfreak101
11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
no, theyre still on drugs. They just arent hardxcore druggies, who trip on acid every night and put cocaine in their coffee (Stevie Ray Vaughn anyone?)

BrainDamage
11-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah, and it nearly finished them in the process! true, and its a damn good thing they didn't, cause IMO, these days they rock just as much, if not more than they did early in their career.

Stula1031
11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
you make a good point.

Obviously, like you said, experiences can alter and change the way people prodcue whatever they produce. However, i still think that artists who couldn't contribute to the genre without the influence of drugs should be less recognized as greats then bands who were able to focus their music into something creative without drugs.

Bands like Pink Floyd, who put out some of, if not, the most creative music in the world, and did so without the influence of drugs.

But then again, i find myself thinking, would Floyd have come up with half of their music if Syd had never been in their lives? Because, if you really think about it, everyone is influenced by drugs, whether they take them daily, have used the once, or just know someone who uses them.

Syd Barrett - Influenced By Drugs
Pink Floyd - Influenced by Syd Barrett

To many people I have noticed come to this conclusion, but not all Syd's stuff was written under the influence of LSD. Alot of it was based on books and events in his life.

Oh yea and most of everything Pre- Darkside is not realy about Syd.

jimmyjimjim
11-06-2005, 08:36 PM

dude, didn't randy bachman form BTO because The Guess Who were leading too much of a "rock n roll lifestyle"? but you can't get made at him, BTO made awesome records.

jayr123guitar
11-06-2005, 09:11 PM

The rest of Pink Floyd weren't sober! It wasn't just Syd getting stoned. He was the one that got F**ked up though........

BrainDamage
11-06-2005, 10:04 PM
^^that's not true. How many times am I going to say it?

trey-col89
11-06-2005, 10:06 PM
The rest of Pink Floyd weren't sober! It wasn't just Syd getting stoned. He was the one that got F**ked up though........
How could you POSSIBLY know that? Are you friends with any of them? All we have to go by, is the word of the band members themselves, and they have constantly stated that they didn't do drugs... they just drank a lot. Roger has even admitted to trying a couple of drugs and not liking them. You can't go by anything more. So just shut up, because you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Evil Kid 93
11-06-2005, 10:12 PM
The only good thing drugs did was get all The Beatles high as a ****in' kite and inspire their "experimental" era. Which kicked ass.

Other than that, drugs...suck. To put it bluntly.

fenderfreak101
11-06-2005, 10:58 PM

To many people I have noticed come to this conclusion, but not all Syd's stuff was written under the influence of LSD. Alot of it was based on books and events in his life.

Oh yea and most of everything Pre- Darkside is not realy about Syd.

stula, youre right, and are god. Im wrong. I will go back to my cage now.

can i be in your sig now? :)

Bmm386
11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I can think of another one. :D

How could i forget the beatles?

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 12:28 AM
How could you POSSIBLY know that? Are you friends with any of them? All we have to go by, is the word of the band members themselves, and they have constantly stated that they didn't do drugs... they just drank a lot. Roger has even admitted to trying a couple of drugs and not liking them. You can't go by anything more. So just shut up, because you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Holy smokes! Sorry. Of course I don't know them and neither do you. Beyond the fact that ALCOHOL IS A DRUG I, having heard their music as you have too, find it very hard to beleive that they didn't experiment with drugs early on in their careers. The music people play can say alot about them as people. Floyd is some trippy s**t and without experiencing what trippy is, it makes it alot harder to create things that are. Know what I'm saying? Anyways I'm not a Pink Floyd expert, but a quote or link to reference any interviews you've read in which they discuss this matter would be cool. Sorry if i offended you.

frippogenics
11-07-2005, 12:52 AM
The music people play can say alot about them as people. Floyd is some trippy s**t and without experiencing what trippy is, it makes it alot harder to create things that are.

Well an example that was already said on this board was Frank Zappa. His music is very strange and quite trippy at times, but he never touched drugs. It's entirely possible that the members of Floyd didn't partake either. They have claimed they haven't, no one will ever know the truth for sure, but I tend to take their word over my own.

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Well an example that was already said on this board was Frank Zappa. His music is very strange and quite trippy at times, but he never touched drugs. It's entirely possible that the members of Floyd didn't partake either. They have claimed they haven't, no one will ever know the truth for sure, but I tend to take their word over my own.

Zappa is the exception in my opinion. He WAS sober. What I consider sober is NEVER using drugs. I love Zappa.......

frippogenics
11-07-2005, 01:58 AM
What I consider sober is NEVER using drugs.

What, so it's like a drug virginity? :D

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 09:00 AM
What, so it's like a drug virginity? :D

I guess what I really mean is being CLEAN.

Pl3h-B0y
11-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I know Waters did, I don't really know about the rest of the band though.

:rolleyes:

I think i saw Rick Wright smoking in "Live at pompeii" (during the breakfast scenes), and when he was playing the keyboard in "Us and Them" he had a pack of cigarettes, and one that was lit (but i'm not sure if it was a cig)

What about grateful dead (mentioned before??)?? were they a druggie band??

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 10:10 AM
What about grateful dead (mentioned before??)?? were they a druggie band??

Absolutely. When they started as "The Warlocks" some of their first gigs were at the ACID Tests. They indulged as much as anybody in the audience. Except Keyboardist "Pigpen" who only drank. Jerry Garcia battled an opiate addiction among other things basically up until his death in 1995. In the beginning they were fairly heavy LSD users.

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 11:22 AM

"At the end of the year, the band now featured Barrett, Waters, Wright and Mason, and they retured from Cambridge to play at the Countdown Club in Palace Gate, London on a friday night in December 65. This was probably the first true Pink Floyd gig. Roger Waters remembered that they played for about five hours, until 1am and got paid 30$. The long hours they were expected to play, the increasing use of LSD and the mood of the times dictated that Floyd's material had to expand and stretch out beyond simple R&B riffs, evolving into a unique style that was soon givin its own name. Pink Floyd's new show - a mixture of free improvization and tonal effects - wedded with the early use of slide projection and a primitive light show was, undoubtedly, very psychedelic - a word based on Greek for "mind" and "visible" coined by author Aldous Huxley to discribe perceptions altered by the use of hallucinogenic drugs."

"Rick Wright's early keyboard playing might sound really cool, but as time went on, it became obvious that his main strengths lay with providing nice background noise, sweet vocals (until he lost his voice to drugs), and some decently good pop songs."

Rick:" Factually, we started during the late '60s with the psychedelic music, a period that was known as experimental as far as drugs were concerned. The Pink Floyd were in the middle of that culture, so everyone naturally assumed that we were also doing drugs. But that wasn't the case. In Syd Barrett's case it was, but not in our case. I think that music was our drug. Of course, we all did drugs here and there in social events, but I've tried only once in my life before a show."

Q: Have you yourself tried LSD?

David Gilmour: I've done it a few times. LSD wasn't really my thing though.

:cool: He's done it more than twice. So I stand by my opinion that Pink Floyd were in one way or another influenced by Drugs which they all did at one time or another. So before you tell someone to "shut the hell up you don't know what you're talking about", make sure you know what you're talking about.

trey-col89
11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
"At the end of the year, the band now featured Barrett, Waters, Wright and Mason, and they retured from Cambridge to play at the Countdown Club in Palace Gate, London on a friday night in December 65. This was probably the first true Pink Floyd gig. Roger Waters remembered that they played for about five hours, until 1am and got paid 30$. The long hours they were expected to play, the increasing use of LSD and the mood of the times dictated that Floyd's material had to expand and stretch out beyond simple R&B riffs, evolving into a unique style that was soon givin its own name. Pink Floyd's new show - a mixture of free improvization and tonal effects - wedded with the early use of slide projection and a primitive light show was, undoubtedly, very psychedelic - a word based on Greek for "mind" and "visible" coined by author Aldous Huxley to discribe perceptions altered by the use of hallucinogenic drugs."

"Rick Wright's early keyboard playing might sound really cool, but as time went on, it became obvious that his main strengths lay with providing nice background noise, sweet vocals (until he lost his voice to drugs), and some decently good pop songs."

Rick:" Factually, we started during the late '60s with the psychedelic music, a period that was known as experimental as far as drugs were concerned. The Pink Floyd were in the middle of that culture, so everyone naturally assumed that we were also doing drugs. But that wasn't the case. In Syd Barrett's case it was, but not in our case. I think that music was our drug. Of course, we all did drugs here and there in social events, but I've tried only once in my life before a show."

Q: Have you yourself tried LSD?

David Gilmour: I've done it a few times. LSD wasn't really my thing though.

:cool: He's done it more than twice. So I stand by my opinion that Pink Floyd were in one way or another influenced by Drugs which they all did at one time or another. So before you tell someone to "shut the hell up you don't know what you're talking about", make sure you know what you're talking about.
The only person who relied on drugs to write music was Syd Barrett. Sure, I'm sure they touched drugs, who hasn't.... but they weren't dependant on it. My point was, that you don't know them, and neither do I for that matter... so all we have to go by is their word. And they have stated countless times that they didn't do drugs (except for alcohol). Thats not to say they didn't try them, but they didn't do them often, and certainly did not rely on them to write the great music they have written. When I refer to drugs, I'm not talking about alcohol. And where are you getting your quotes from? Source?

trey-col89
11-07-2005, 02:16 PM
What I consider sober is NEVER using drugs.
Thats not being sober, thats being straight edged. Being sober is when you are not intoxicated.

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 02:53 PM
The only person who relied on drugs to write music was Syd Barrett. Sure, I'm sure they touched drugs, who hasn't.... but they weren't dependant on it. My point was, that you don't know them, and neither do I for that matter... so all we have to go by is their word. And they have stated countless times that they didn't do drugs (except for alcohol). Thats not to say they didn't try them, but they didn't do them often, and certainly did not rely on them to write the great music they have written. When I refer to drugs, I'm not talking about alcohol. And where are you getting your quotes from? Source?

I googled pink floyd and drugs and got my quotes from a couple interviews. No they probably didn't use them to write songs. Nevertheless they were influenced by them. In my original post regarding Pink Floyd I simply said that it wasn't just Syd that did drugs, and that they weren't sober guys. Thats what you responded to. I stick to that because it's true. By the way I like your avatar............

BrainDamage
11-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Holy smokes! Sorry. Of course I don't know them and neither do you. Beyond the fact that ALCOHOL IS A DRUG I, having heard their music as you have too, find it very hard to beleive that they didn't experiment with drugs early on in their careers. The music people play can say alot about them as people. Floyd is some trippy s**t and without experiencing what trippy is, it makes it alot harder to create things that are. Know what I'm saying? Anyways I'm not a Pink Floyd expert, but a quote or link to reference any interviews you've read in which they discuss this matter would be cool. Sorry if i offended you. Of course they probably experimented early in their careers, but musically, they are no way a drug related band.

interview with Rick Wright-
What are your views on acid now?
Syd was very influenced by a lot of people around him, who encouraged him to take trips. There are a load of acid casualties out there. He wasn't alone. Back then, we had people like Timothy Leary openly advocating it: trip our and take it every day. Wrong ? Yes. Misguided ? Yes. It was wrong for me. I took two trips in my life. The first was quite enjoyable and that was before I was in the band. Then I took one more and I didn't enjoy it at all, so I never took it again. It certainly destroyed Syd and I think it has destroyed a lot of other people.

But Floyd's music has often been described as "drug-inspired". Do you think that suggestion is wrong?
If you mean Pink Floyd took drugs - you're wrong. There is no way that I could play music and take any kind of drug at the same time.

Nick Mason-
Mojo: The rest of you really didn't do drugs?

Mason: No. Well, possibly a tiny bit of dope smoking but certainly not tripping on the same scale as... as the management certainly were!

a different interview (they don't say who answered this one)
C: Did any of your music evolve from the use of drugs?

PF: No. There is more alcohol consumed than dope before we go on stage. You see, because, when you're high you can sit on your own, and play for hours and hours and hours, and if you put it on tape - if you come back to it when you are straight and it's a load of ****. I think what really we do, is that we all like to get that little bit of relaxation from smoking a small amount. For myself, I like a small smoke before I play, it relaxes me.

no idea from who this is from-
SOME COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS:

Now that you know the history of Pink Floyd, it?s important that you understand some things. First of all, there are three types of Floyd fans; the Hardcore Floyd-heads like myself, the radio-friendly fans, and the wannabe hippie ?I listen to Floyd because its cool? fans. Us hardcore fans listen to Pink Floyd because it is everything that music should be: complicated, emotional, and beautiful. The lyrics make you think while being poetic and personal, and their musicianship is incredible. We feel a real connection to the band, as Waters? lyrics are so personal, you feel like you know him. The radio-friendly fans know and like the albums, but can?t really get into the lyrical concepts and emotions that the Floyd so commonly conveys. The wannabe fans listen to Floyd because its "cool", and unfortunately for them, they usually miss so much of what really makes the band so great. These wannabes are also the reason for the most common misconception about Pink Floyd, and that is the whole drug issue. I mentioned that Syd Barrett?s mental breakdown was partly because of LSD use, and that is definitely true, but he was the only member of the band that used drugs. Keep in mind also that he only contributed to their first 2 albums, so the connection between Floyd?s most popular music and drugs is unwarranted. I cannot stress this point more. Many people often pigeonhole the Floyd as a hippie drug band, and the wannabe fans are the main reason. You don?t have to be messed up to listen to Pink Floyd, don?t let anyone tell you otherwise. If they do, they have no idea what they are talking about. What you do need to really HEAR Floyd is an open, analytical mind. You have to be ready to hear a story told through music and poetry. You need to read into every word and sound, and knowing the personal history of the band members makes this so much easier and rewarding.

and you have failed to realize the latter part of what you highlighted in your interview-
Of course, we all did drugs here and there in social events, but I've tried only once in my life before a show."

So I stand by my opinion that Pink Floyd were in one way or another influenced by Drugs which they all did at one time or another. sure, they may have done some drugs, but their music was not drug related or influenced.

and to top it all off,
So before you tell someone to "shut the hell up you don't know what you're talking about", make sure you know what you're talking about. shut the hell up, you don;t know what you're talking about. And yes, I know what I'm talking about.

prsfloyd
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I have never heard so many people talk about a topic that when it boils down its just a bunch of speculation, rumors, and stereotypes.

I care about the music, I don't give a**** what they were on or not on when they made it, because its brilliant and original.

theres my peace and it was a lot shorter than yours

skydogzoso1986
11-07-2005, 04:34 PM
did any of you also know that jethro tull never did drugs? ian anderson says he never even smoked a joint. in the beginning i thought they were obviously doing drugs, also the music is quite complex. i admire them for concentrating that much on the music and being that sober. also ted nugent never did do drugs, not even alcohol

daft
11-07-2005, 05:18 PM
did any of you also know that jethro tull never did drugs? ian anderson says he never even smoked a joint. in the beginning i thought they were obviously doing drugs, also the music is quite complex. i admire them for concentrating that much on the music and being that sober. also ted nugent never did do drugs, not even alcohol

Even with hanging around Lennon and the Rolling Stones? :confused:

That's pretty cool

Stula1031
11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
stula, youre right, and are god. Im wrong. I will go back to my cage now.

can i be in your sig now? :)

yup but not for the first one ;)

JkHalen
11-07-2005, 06:00 PM
this has turned from "CR bands who took drugs" into "Did Pink Floyd Take drugs for musical influence?"..it's stupid.

BrainDamage
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
^^well, according to the thread starter, the thread is also asking What are your thoughts about drugs and the roll they play in music?

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 07:40 PM
and to top it all off,
shut the hell up, you don;t know what you're talking about. And yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Whatever dude. A band with numerous songs dedicated to an acid head isn't influenced by drugs? Brain Damage. You know they did drugs. I'm not saying they play live high or composed high, just that they did. Accept it.

Stula1031
11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
You're an ignorant little cunt. Go kill yourself now.

You do not know what you?re talking about. Taking some pot every now and then doesn't make you a druggie. You have just probably heard 2 or 3 songs that sounded spacey by them and immediately it was drugs that made them create that sound. How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall, against the pressures of fame, make you influenced by drugs? How? It doesn't. Now, crawl back to that rock you've been under for your whole life! :mad:

fenderfreak101
11-07-2005, 09:12 PM
well, Stula just pwned that guy.

Can i be in your sig again now?

Messer
11-07-2005, 09:33 PM

You do not know what you?re talking about. Taking some pot every now and then doesn't make you a druggie. You have just probably heard 2 or 3 songs that sounded spacey by them and immediately it was drugs that made them create that sound. How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall, against the pressures of fame, make you influenced by drugs? How? It doesn't. Now, crawl back to that rock you've been under for your whole life! :mad:

Wow, that is soooo true. Brain Damage is a spacey song but it's about Syd and they weren't on drugs when they wrote that, just like Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

jayr123guitar
11-07-2005, 11:06 PM

you're funny. Some of you people are whacked. I never said they were druggies. I said they weren't sober. I never said they were heroin addicts or anything. It wasn't just weed they tried dude.
you said - ""How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall, against the pressures of fame, make you influenced by drugs?""

I say - Oh I don't know, maybe because his tragic downfall was the result of drugs!!!!! Think before you type. :confused:

How old are you anyway? 13 ? How the hell do you know a damn thing about anything anyway? Everybody has their opinion. Sorry to burst your ever so precious bubble.

AdayTripper
11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
you're funny. Some of you people are whacked. I never said they were druggies. I said they weren't sober. I never said they were heroin addicts or anything. It wasn't just weed they tried dude.
you said - ""How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall, against the pressures of fame, make you influenced by drugs?""

I say - Oh I don't know, maybe because his tragic downfall was the result of drugs!!!!! Think before you type. :confused:

How old are you anyway? 13 ? How the hell do you know a damn thing about anything anyway? Everybody has their opinion. Sorry to burst your ever so precious bubble.

That does not mean all of them were druggies, think before you type.

Pl3h-B0y
11-08-2005, 02:07 AM
^ I agree completely to that, i mean, if you look at nick mason, I don't care what he said about his intake of drugs, there is NO Fuckin way he ever took drugs (back in the 60's of course)

jayr123guitar
11-08-2005, 08:37 AM
That does not mean all of them were druggies, think before you type.

Here, i'll quote myself in case you didn't notice it:

"....I never said they were druggies......"

They all experimented at one time or another. What rock stars haven't? (Zappa, Nugent)

Encore_God
11-08-2005, 11:51 AM

... whose guitarist, Tommy Bolin, died of an overdose.

Stula1031
11-08-2005, 04:20 PM

You are a moron. Just because Syd's downfall was of the results of drugs doesn't mean drugs influenced them. That is the most retarded statement ever. With that logic making a movie about the Beatles would mean drugs influenced the director. But this isn't true he was influenced by the Beatles to make the movie.

What are you trying to prove anyways? Brain damage proved you wrong and you go on how they did do drugs once or twice (Which was stupid of you because he did point out that same fact in his post) You just can't admit that he beat you and your trying to argue when you have nothing. You were wrong just admit it.

And lastly, me being 13 has nothing to do with anything. I probably know more about this subject than you will ever will.

I would "burst your bubble" but it seems that your needle dick already did that.

Metal_Man666
11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I love drugs and i love music.........and i do both very frequently

i've done many drugs......some hardcore **** and some normal stuff

stick to weed..........the rest is fun and interesting for once in awhile...........

but stick to weed

JkHalen
11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Stula is such a god..don't mess with him, he gonna bite you in the ass! And he's right, lol so stop trying to prove your point against him.. (SIG ME!!:D)

Stula1031
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Hmm... Ok ;)

fenderfreak101
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
what!!?!?!

I sucked up to you twice as hard as that guy.

I am the ultimate in suckiness. Id lick your shoes if i had to, because i know you are god and that i am a little, insignificant nothing that will never accomplish what you have Stula.

this one isnt for the sig either...

fr0zt
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Any musician who can't be creative without the use of drugs shouldn't be a musician at all. True geniuses can make excellent music without it.

Stula1031
11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
what!!?!?!

I sucked up to you twice as hard as that guy.

I am the ultimate in suckiness. Id lick your shoes if i had to, because i know you are god and that i am a little, insignificant nothing that will never accomplish what you have Stula.

this one isnt for the sig either...

:kissass:

Thank you. You are the Ultimate Suck Up. You words do not diserve the Sig Instead I have a huge poster, that has every suck up line you have ever said on it, hanging in my room.

:haha

Messer
11-08-2005, 09:02 PM
:kissass:

Thank you. You are the Ultimate Suck Up. You words do not diserve the Sig Instead I have a huge poster, that has every suck up line you have ever said on it, hanging in my room.

:haha

:haha, I hope you are not serious dude.

fenderfreak101
11-08-2005, 09:05 PM
i have a feeling he is...

Messer
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Wow.

fenderfreak101
11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I know.

Jealous, arent ya?

Messer
11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Naw, but he should have a poster that says Mike Hunt.

BARBAR
11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
I DO DRfffffffUGS

Stula1031
11-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Guys shut up my poster rocks.... You guys are jeliouse :cry:

Anyways lets get back to the subject. shall we?

I disagree with the opinion that making music under the influence of drugs makes that person untalented. It may require less talent but the songs still come that artists mind whether or not it was stimulated by drugs or not

I DO DRfffffffUGS

Oooook then.... :rasta: :smoke:

jayr123guitar
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
You are a moron. Just because Syd's downfall was of the results of drugs doesn't mean drugs influenced them. That is the most retarded statement ever. With that logic making a movie about the Beatles would mean drugs influenced the director. But this isn't true he was influenced by the Beatles to make the movie.

What are you trying to prove anyways? Brain damage proved you wrong and you go on how they did do drugs once or twice (Which was stupid of you because he did point out that same fact in his post) You just can't admit that he beat you and your trying to argue when you have nothing. You were wrong just admit it.

And lastly, me being 13 has nothing to do with anything. I probably know more about this subject than you will ever will.

I would "burst your bubble" but it seems that your needle dick already did that.

You're really 13? Your comments are as immature as you are. So let me write this again for you as you are clearly blind!

You wrote:
"How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall (WHICH WAS DUE TO DRUGS!!!!!!) make you influenced by drugs?

Okay now read it again. I will not post about this again. They did drugs!! Read some interviews, listen to the music. Rick Wright openly admits they all did drugs. It's not a bad thing man,who hasn't done them (besides you obviously if you're 13). I don't see what the big f**kin deal is?!? And by the way I've been listening to Floyd since before you born. Grow up!

Stula1031
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
What are you talking about? I think your the one on drugs. Just give up. You're starting to argue about nothing and your repetative points are starting to bother me. I never said they didn't do drugs I'm saying you are talking nonsence. How were they influenced by drugs just because Syd took them? Thats an extreamly indirect way of being influenced by drugs. Dont you think? They wrote about his life and deteriation not about him taking drugs. Stop trying to prove something that has been proved worng by more than one person. And read the bloody post everything I said made sence.
But I guess since you are the smart adult here and Im the poor 13 (Actually Im 14 BTW ;)) you MUST know more than I. :down:
Honestly you're responce is just barley relevant to mine.

But Im not going to argue with you anymore. :peace:

frippogenics
11-08-2005, 10:21 PM
No keep argueing, I don't even know what you're argueing about but its making me feel better about myself. :D

trey-col89
11-08-2005, 10:55 PM
You're really 13? Your comments are as immature as you are. So let me write this again for you as you are clearly blind!

You wrote:
"How is being influenced by your friends tragic downfall (WHICH WAS DUE TO DRUGS!!!!!!) make you influenced by drugs?

Okay now read it again. I will not post about this again. They did drugs!! Read some interviews, listen to the music. Rick Wright openly admits they all did drugs. It's not a bad thing man,who hasn't done them (besides you obviously if you're 13). I don't see what the big f**kin deal is?!? And by the way I've been listening to Floyd since before you born. Grow up!
Their music was not influenced by drugs. They did a few drugs at social events sure, a lot of people do. But the fact still remains that their music was never influenced by the use of drugs.

DirtyDeeds26
11-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Brian May is one of those people who never took any drugs, barely drank (If you read in Wikipedia, it says that May regrets taking more than one drink before a concert), and his music is influential. So anyways, I don't think drugs affects the music.

Pl3h-B0y
11-09-2005, 02:06 AM
jayr123guitar,
ever heard of this amazing phrase??
"Arguing on the internet is like running the special olympics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded"

Let me rephrase that a bit:
"Arguing with Stula1031 is like running the special olympics.
:D

Encore_God
11-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Brian May is one of those people who never took any drugs, barely drank (If you read in Wikipedia, it says that May regrets taking more than one drink before a concert), and his music is influential. So anyways, I don't think drugs affects the music.

It's weird, because of all the guitarists' playing styles I've studied (and God knows there have been hundreds) I can't seem to mimic Brian's. Ritchie Blackmore or Gary Moore or vintage Clapton, sure. But Brian's one I can't get to.

Maybe it's because a Queen show kinda looked like you were on something anyway :haha

jayr123guitar
11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
jayr123guitar,
ever heard of this amazing phrase??
"Arguing on the internet is like running the special olympics.

Let me rephrase that a bit:
"Arguing with Stula1031 is like running the special olympics.
:D

True enough.

Stryker_66
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
While under the influence of drugs, the musical output will be affected by ones creative thought process. But the fact still remains that there is a musician within that person whether they are on drugs or not. There lies a mystery in ones ability to create something in musical form and I believe that great pieces of music were created while under the influence of drugs. But there has also been amazing creations without the influence. Drugs are a choice and I will never put my eggs all in one basket and say, oh it's all wrong. Great music has come from both sides of the spectrum. Drugs have ruined alot of lives but that is always in the form of ABUSE

Messer
11-09-2005, 05:33 PM
But the fact still remains that their music was never influenced by the use of drugs.

I wouldn't say never, some of their earlier stuff when Syd was still around was influenced like Piper At The Gates of Dawn and Obsucured by Clouds.

trey-col89
11-09-2005, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't say never, some of their earlier stuff when Syd was still around was influenced like Piper At The Gates of Dawn and Obsucured by Clouds.
Syd was long gone by Obscured by Clouds... and I am refering to the post-Syd Floyd.

Messer
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Syd was long gone by Obscured by Clouds... and I am refering to the post-Syd Floyd.

I thought they had a couple songs on with Syd they put on it.

trey-col89
11-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Not that I know of. I believe Jugband Blues (ASOS) was the last Barrett composition on a Floyd album.

Messer
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Did The Who take any drugs?

Evil Kid 93
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Did The Who take any drugs?

I don't think to any rediculous extent, but yeah, they still used em throughout their career. I mean yeah, they were around in the 60s and 70s, so they probably did a lot of drugs, but Kieth probably did the most. After Kieth's overdose (and death), Pete started getting heavily into drug use (I can't recall which drug he was addicted to though, might have been heroin, but I could be wrong). Pete actually overdosed at one point and almost died, after that he started getting off the drugs. And I believe John died of an overdose in 2002, but I don't remember if he really used them very much in The Who.

I'll have to look into this a little bit more, really, cause I'm almost positive half the stuff in that paragraph is wrong...

ledhed68
11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I know John Entswistle (sp?) died of a cocain overdose i know they were also stoned at their woodstock performance

jayr123guitar
11-10-2005, 09:44 AM
While under the influence of drugs, the musical output will be affected by ones creative thought process. But the fact still remains that there is a musician within that person whether they are on drugs or not. There lies a mystery in ones ability to create something in musical form and I believe that great pieces of music were created while under the influence of drugs. But there has also been amazing creations without the influence. Drugs are a choice and I will never put my eggs all in one basket and say, oh it's all wrong. Great music has come from both sides of the spectrum. Drugs have ruined alot of lives but that is always in the form of ABUSE

Now THATS the type of response I wanted when I posted this thread. It only took 120 replies. Excellent outlook on the topic. Cheers ;)

BrainDamage
11-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Not that I know of. I believe Jugband Blues (ASOS) was the last Barrett composition on a Floyd album. As far as I'm concerned, it was.

jarvisl8
11-10-2005, 02:11 PM
walked by roger 'syd' barrett on my way to get the newspaper, he didnt look what i would expect an acid drenched loony to look like

Messer
11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't think to any rediculous extent, but yeah, they still used em throughout their career. I mean yeah, they were around in the 60s and 70s, so they probably did a lot of drugs, but Kieth probably did the most. After Kieth's overdose (and death), Pete started getting heavily into drug use (I can't recall which drug he was addicted to though, might have been heroin, but I could be wrong). Pete actually overdosed at one point and almost died, after that he started getting off the drugs. And I believe John died of an overdose in 2002, but I don't remember if he really used them very much in The Who.

I'll have to look into this a little bit more, really, cause I'm almost positive half the stuff in that paragraph is wrong...

So would you say any of their music was influenced by drugs?

jayr123guitar
11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
So would you say any of their music was influenced by drugs?

Ever listened to Tommy - "Acid Queen". They also were all high on LSD (dosed without their knowledge) for their entire Woodstock performance. Other than that I can't say.......

Jarrett Moore
11-10-2005, 09:52 PM
All drugs are is, an imitation of music. i could get into a big post on that but im just gonna leave it at that.

Messer
11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Ever listened to Tommy - "Acid Queen". They also were all high on LSD (dosed without their knowledge) for their entire Woodstock performance. Other than that I can't say.......

I knew they were totally baked at Woodstock.

me_and_my_esp
11-11-2005, 07:05 PM
their drinks were spiked... they ****ing hated woodstock. "a field of bloody hippies"

Messer
11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't like the people who think you HAVE to take drugs to be a rockstar.

me_and_my_esp
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
yeah, cause then they dont have any talent or passion at all. its spitting in the face of the true musicians.

Messer
11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah or the people who are acually talented but started taking drugs and think they have to keep taking them to be good.

allRocker420
11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
drugs and music i beleive that drugs can tap into creativity and diffrent drugs tap in to diffrent parts of the brain causing you to riff off onto sonething that sounds great that you normally woulddent think of the problem is remembering it make sure you write it down lol
me and my friend wrote lyrics and lead to a song in one night tweekin our balls off once
but allot of the time all you come up with is nothing drugs can help the creative process move faster but you could train your mind to tap into it anyway

jimizeppelin
11-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Musicians Who take drugs are ****ing retarted there are so many examples look at the greatist muscians of all time joplin, morrison, hendrix The list continues on and on. You don't need drugs to write good music.

jayr123guitar
11-12-2005, 01:51 AM
:confused: Musicians Who take drugs are ****ing retarted ..........joplin (Herion/Alcohol+), morrison(LSD,Alcohol,Cocaine+), hendrix(Cocaine,Alcohol,LSD,STP,Amphetamines,+). The list continues on and on. You don't need drugs to write good music.

Stula1031
11-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Musicians Who take drugs are ****ing retarted there are so many examples look at the greatist muscians of all time joplin, morrison, hendrix The list continues on and on. You don't need drugs to write good music.

Yea Hendrix and Morrison were the most sober musicians on the planet :rolleyes:

fenderfreak101
11-12-2005, 11:30 AM

haha, wait, how exactly did Joplin, Morrison, and Hendrix die again? ;)

are ****ing retarted

i rest my case. :)

LedZeppelin1979
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM

What a waste!

'Bitch, you forgot John Bonham from Led Zeppelin.
Heroin addiction killed him on September 25th, 1980.

jayr123guitar
11-12-2005, 07:08 PM
'Bitch, you forgot John Bonham from Led Zeppelin.
Heroin addiction killed him on September 25th, 1980.

"........During the journey Bonham had downed four quadruple vodkas, and continued to drink at the studio. A halt was called to the rehearsals late in the evening and the band retired to Page's house in Windsor. After midnight, Bonham had fallen asleep and was taken to bed on his side. Tour manager Benji LeFevre found him dead the next morning. The cause of death was asphyxiation caused by choking on his own vomit. A subsequent coroner inquest found no other drugs in Bonham's body."

Messer
11-12-2005, 07:45 PM
"........During the journey Bonham had downed four quadruple vodkas, and continued to drink at the studio. A halt was called to the rehearsals late in the evening and the band retired to Page's house in Windsor. After midnight, Bonham had fallen asleep and was taken to bed on his side. Tour manager Benji LeFevre found him dead the next morning. The cause of death was asphyxiation caused by choking on his own vomit. A subsequent coroner inquest found no other drugs in Bonham's body."

That's the same way Bon Scott died, too.

SoulStripper7
11-12-2005, 08:04 PM
^^Yeah, he died of asphyxiation, but he had drank 7 or 8 double whiskeys.

jayr123guitar
11-12-2005, 08:59 PM
don't sleep on your back.........

me_and_my_esp
11-12-2005, 09:00 PM
*writes in notes*

ok ;)

Messer
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Would you consider Black Sabbath to be influenced by drugs I mean look how many Ozzy took.

Stula1031
11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Yea I would. But I love them anyways.

jayr123guitar
11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Would you consider Black Sabbath to be influenced by drugs I mean look how many Ozzy took.

Without a doubt. "Sweet Leaf" "Snowblind".........

Messer
11-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Didn't Ozzy take acid everyday for a year just to see what it would do to him?

me_and_my_esp
11-13-2005, 07:49 PM
i wouldnt be surprised, personally. but i guess he got what he wanted, results. i mean look at him!

Messer
11-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Drugs certainly took a toll on him.

TimiHendrix33
11-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Look at Ozzy, he can barely talk with saying"uhhhhhh" and then shaking like a madman. poor guy :(

Messer
11-13-2005, 08:27 PM
It's amazing how he can barelly talk but yet he can sing like no other.

me_and_my_esp
11-13-2005, 08:39 PM
i know, i always found that weird. he should sing more, instead of talk. people understand him a lot better when he sings... we cant tell jack **** when he is just talking

Messer
11-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Do you think Bob Marley is influenced by drugs considered he mostly did nothing but weed.

JkHalen
11-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Do you think Bob Marley is influenced by drugs considered he mostly did nothing but weed.
are you serious?

mastershredder4
11-13-2005, 09:36 PM

What a waste!
john bonham, bon scott, most of the who claptons son(not sure how that fits in) and the list gos on

I think drugs in life r bad, however their influence in music is creative and almost always necessary.

"we are all on drugs!"
thats ****ing bull****, okay when you do drungs like lsd, you only imagen stuff that you already have in you mind, you can make all that stuff up on your own, and for my mom it was mostly just a camp fire over and over again, its nothing that you cant think up on your own, if you have to do drugs to be creative your no musicain your just a poser who cant be great by himself

I know John Entswistle (sp?) died of a cocain overdose i know they were also stoned at their woodstock performance
as was everyone els...anyway, lets look at classical composers, who in my opion were the greatest musicans ever, did they use drugs?

jayr123guitar
11-14-2005, 12:04 AM
........... lets look at classical composers, who in my opion were the greatest musicans ever, did they use drugs?

Didn't they? I'm no expert on that era, but i won't completely assume they were all straight edge. Anybody have any RELIABLE info on this topic?

jayr123guitar
11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
"According to a 1987 study of the 51 largest orchestras in the U.S., over one in four classical musicians used beta-blockers. And 70 per cent of those using the drug got their prescription illicitly. Drug use in classical music may be off the media radar, but it?s a problem that?s been around for a while. The drug caught on with musicians right away, according to Jesse Read, the director of University of British Columbia?s School of Music. ?I know musicians have been taking beta-blockers for decades.? The willingness to try drugs was a holdover from the 1960s, said Read, when classical and rock performers began experimenting with mind-altering substances like marijuana and LSD. Read, a bassoonist and former conductor of the University Symphony Orchestra, has never had major problems with nervousness. ?I come from a family of professional musicians, and we always perform for each other.? He acknowledges, though, that anxiety is a big concern for some musicians. ?For some people, drugs are the only way to survive in high pressure situations.Whatever the reason, the press?s coverage of beta-blockers in music has been scanty, which means classical music?s dirty little secret will remain just that. ?

Performance enhancement drugs for Classical Musicians?!? News to me, but it's true.......

jayr123guitar
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
This will be the end of this thread for me.

As I can tell at this point, drugs have always played a role in musical culture. This doesn't mean that all bands were high when they play or composed, but that drugs have an effect on you, if you've done them, for the rest of your life. Anyone who's done LSD even once can testify that it changed on some level, their outlook. This experience can and does have an effect on music. Other than Zappa (whose band did drugs) and Ted Nugent, I can't find one musician who hasn't at one time or another done some kind of drug. This DOES effect your creative output and therefore the music. The experiences may be in part responsible for some kick ass music, however indulgence and abuse does nothing but destroy you. Drugs will always play some part in the music culture and art in general.

Kadaj
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
i know, i always found that weird. he should sing more, instead of talk. people understand him a lot better when he sings... we cant tell jack **** when he is just talking

It's because he doesn't need to think when he's singing, whereas talking he needs to talk and think at the same time, which he can't do very well. Although wasn't there an article on the main site about it being due to some form of hereditary parkinsons like disease?

fenderfreak101
11-15-2005, 06:08 PM
This will be the end of this thread for me.

As I can tell at this point, drugs have always played a role in musical culture. This doesn't mean that all bands were high when they play or composed, but that drugs have an effect on you, if you've done them, for the rest of your life. Anyone who's done LSD even once can testify that it changed on some level, their outlook. This experience can and does have an effect on music. Other than Zappa (whose band did drugs) and Ted Nugent, I can't find one musician who hasn't at one time or another done some kind of drug. This DOES effect your creative output and therefore the music. The experiences may be in part responsible for some kick ass music, however indulgence and abuse does nothing but destroy you. Drugs will always play some part in the music culture and art in general.

:cheers: to that :)

mastershredder4
11-15-2005, 06:30 PM

crazy train.....i know ozzy but still......fairys were boots...lots of others

Bob'89
11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I am the walrus by the beatles was written when lennon was totally ****ed on acid.Only drugs could cause someone to write such crazy far out lyrics,its hillarious

AllForYouBLS
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
pink floyd... stoner rock, uhhh.. yeah

frippogenics
11-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I am the walrus by the beatles was written when lennon was totally ****ed on acid.Only drugs could cause someone to write such crazy far out lyrics,its hillarious

Actually he wrote the lyrics as a joke to those who look too deep into their lyrics for meanings. It doesnt have anything to do with drugs

SoulStripper7
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM

Idiot.

Pink Floyd are not stoner rock. They were sober when they wrote and recorded their music, and they didn't write it so that long haired dope freaks could get high listening to it.

I think that a true PF fan would never say they were music for stoners.

Stula1031
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
:rolleyes:

jayr123guitar
11-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Idiot.

Pink Floyd are not stoner rock. They were sober when they wrote and recorded their music, and they didn't write it so that long haired dope freaks could get high listening to it.

Who did they write it for then, little old ladies who need something to listen to on their long journey to the pharmacy. Keep in mind a large majority of Pink Floyds live fanbase in the 60's and 70's were, you guessed it, LONG HAIRED DOPE FREAKS HIGH ON LSD. Get a clue :no:

Now thats it, really I'm done!!

AdayTripper
11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

wow.....he wrote them so people who read into his lyrics into much would have even more trouble looking into them.

SoulStripper7
11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Who did they write it for then, little old ladies who need something to listen to on their long journey to the pharmacy. Keep in mind a large majority of Pink Floyds live fanbase in the 60's and 70's were, you guessed it, LONG HAIRED DOPE FREAKS HIGH ON LSD. Get a clue :no:

Now thats it, really I'm done!!

What I meant is that they didn't write the album so that people could get high listening to it. And I also meant that they didn't write it specifically for people who were hippies who got high all the time. They wrote it for their fans, regardless of what they did in their free time or age or social class or whatever.

ECwomantoneman
02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
.....percussion for thousands of years..........

Percussion for thousands of years....sounds like a "Bonzo" Bonham drum solo...

Did I mention that drugs killed Bonham? The night he died he had had excessive amounts of alcohol, but his years of snorting coke by the ton probably didn't do him much good. And did I mention that drugs also did in his fellow drumming nut Moon the Loon? Or the God himself, Jimi Hendrix? Or his female counterpart Janis Joplin? Or The Ox himself, John Entwhistle, arguably the greatest bassist ever? And these are naught but the tip of the iceberg. There are folk at my school who do nothing but draw pot in their jotters and stuff, folk who used to be not bad musicians, but would rather fry their already minute brains and ruin their chances at a career in music which was their only decent chance at not dying in a shitey little bedsit as an embarrassment ot their 14 screaming children. *Walks away in disgust*

*Walks back* But , most of the stuff I listen to is pretty psychedelic and therefore LSD influenced, and my 2nd fav album, Disraeli Gears by Cream, is basically one long trippy collection. My favourite album's Layla, but Clapton had moved onto heroin by that stage, which frankly should be renamed "the stuff that makes you feel even shitter, costs a lot and will just about guarantee death."

rock_and_blues
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
well 80% of the stuff i listen to was written on drugs, or was about drugs, or was intended to be listened to on drugs. So it has a big influence. And to the guy above me (ECwomantone), drugs do not fry your brain. Misuse of drugs fry your brain. People who do it recreationally (everyday, multiple times a day) are fuctards, and deserve to have their brains shattered. Drugs are a very powerful thing, with very serious effects on the human mind. I do psychedelics (along with things like meditation and astral projection) to expand my mind, and try to understand the workings of the universe, I dont do it to make TV funnier, or to laugh and giggle with friends at a party....there an extremely personal thing in my opinon and should be done individually with hopes of discovering oneself.

ledhed68
02-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Good choice of a thread to revive

Maet
02-02-2007, 11:58 PM
This thread has been dead for over a year....

I'd rather see a new thread and have a new discussion on a topic then bring it back from the grave. Using the search function is a good thing, but this is just ridiculous.

Carnivean
02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Musicians took drugs in order to find a new spark for each show that they played. Think about it... your on a national tour, playin every other day, the SAME songs over and over and over+ huge crouds+ travel.

There was a good chance these classic pros were gonna find some way to cope with this. If any of you have ever been on drugs such as coke or weed, you would know what I mean; it's alot easier to be around people and deal with life when your on drugs.. but the after effect is just horrible. And when you start to get used to having a source to go to for each show, it becomes your life.. and drugs start to > music.

I have no doubt in my mind that many big bands now a days do this.

zeppelin4evr41
02-04-2007, 02:32 AM
the key with drugs is just to not take them too far... but anyway as for big musicians that werent too big on drugs... can't think of any classic rock examples but randy rhoads was pretty sober, and i'm not sure about tom morello

Carnivean
02-04-2007, 03:30 AM
the key with drugs is just to not take them too far... but anyway as for big musicians that werent too big on drugs... can't think of any classic rock examples but randy rhoads was pretty sober, and i'm not sure about tom morello

Ya randy rhodes was a professional guitar instructor before he tried out for ozzy's band, he was all about technique and precision in his melodies and guitar playing.. that was his addiction. He could give a flying **** about drugs.

Mongoose87
02-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Roger Daltrey of The WHo stayed away from them for the most part and stuck with da hooch.

Rhoads2000
02-04-2007, 08:01 PM
i think it expands their minds then destroys it. the only person i can think of that hasn't did drugs is gene simmons but who cares about him right? it's not classoc rock but the guys in slayed don't do drugs, they just drink. other than that i'm aout of people man. this'll be a good one...
WHATEVER GENE SIMMONS ROCKS!!!!!!!! :peace:

grungedude4ever
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Some of them had to, I mean without drugs they'd be dead even before, look at Morrison that'd guy at no music knowledge he saw music in his mind. Hendrix his music got stolen like so many that's where drugs comes in handy , so many went that path but I mean it was rock and roll doing lsd and ****ing not caring .Drugs make you in peace with yourself I think that's why you can write song that were always in you but you waren't in peace.

gtrfrk123
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
yeah man, but listen to that music , it just amazes me.

Eloka_Daniels
02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I personally think its ok to expand your mind in moderation. When it becomes an every day occurrence that’s when it should be considered erroneous.

If on a private level the band members are only taking drugs to play their music then they are frauds, nothing more nothing less.

If the drug is not central to their lives then I am in support of experimentation, something’s do seem clearer and less murky when you’re in your own little world.

As Timothy Leary said “I am 100 per cent in favour of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 per cent against the thoughtless use of them. Whether it caffeine or LSD”
I think that’s a pretty sound statement!

To Black beauties comment “if it weren’t for drugs we’d be listening to Bon, Jimi, and Morrison”. Number one it’s called over consumption ok!! Drugs are not bad when they are taken responsibly and monitored. Number two Drugs didn’t kill Bon it was hypothermia and Jim Morrison died of Heart failure due to excessive drinking. Lighten up Grandma it might never happen!!

Turn on, Tune in and Drop out!

-Eloka

AC/DC ROCKS!!!
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
id have to say drugs hurt more then they help trust me lol i mean look at ozzy and i dont even know wtf kind of drugs axl rose is doing now a days but hes not the bad ass rocker from the old G N' R now hes turned into some weird ass dude who shaves his eyebrows but point being drugs ruin musicians its ok if there done now and then but when they get addicted to them is when shit starts goin south