Eric Clapton Layla song...

PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton Layla song...

Beatlemaniac87
11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey!

I heard that Eric Clapton wrote the song Layla about George Harisson's wife. Is that true? If u know anything tell me the whole story! :confused:

jayr123guitar
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM
It's true. Clapton fell for Harrisons wife Patti Boyd. Clapton and Harrison were very good friends and she eventually left Harrison and married Clapton. The song is for her.

Beatlemaniac87
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Thx JR!

I thought that's what it was...Patti boyd was pretty hot back in the day!

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Lol yeah she was pretty hot. :liplick:

Oh ****, I just made a possibly sexual remark about a dead ex Beatle's ex wife. :( Im goin' to hell.

Burpin'Worm
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
It was also inspired by a Persian poem.

frippogenics
11-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I thought it was funny that Harrison didn't really care and that they were still friends. He had sort of a "you can have her" attitude.

bodyheatseeker
11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Harrison played at the wedding I think

Diabolic Clown
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM
^Yep. George joined Eric and some others in a jam at the wedding reception. He also played with Eric many times after they were married. Pretty weird, but George said that he would rather have Eric take her then some sleazy guy.

Sgt_Pepper27
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Patti Boyd is a lucky bird.
'Something' and 'Layla', 2 of the most lovely songs written for her.

DetroitRockCity
11-04-2005, 08:44 PM
yep true he also wrote "wonderful tonight" about her too

ridcullylives
11-04-2005, 08:50 PM
There's a reason Sgt_Pepper didn't include that one, lol.

Midnight 260
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Wats that reason

rayIII
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
didnt they end up getting divorced?

ledhed68
11-04-2005, 10:00 PM
I just read a biography on clapton, it said he confronted Harrison about his feelings about her at a party and his response was "Go ahead, you can have her." She ended up leaving with Harrison that night though.

bodyheatseeker
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't get it Harrison wirtes "something" and in the song it has the line "I don't need no other lover" then his best friend turns up and says "George I love your wife" and he says "take her I don't care"

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't get it Harrison wirtes "something" and in the song it has the line "I don't need no other lover" then his best friend turns up and says "George I love your wife" and he says "take her I don't care"

Whats he supposed to do? Punch him out?

Infinite-Reason
11-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Or he could just say, sorry but shes taken....by me...:confused:

jayr123guitar
11-05-2005, 11:44 AM
She obviously went for Clapton. That would do it for me if I was Harrison.

claptonscream
11-05-2005, 08:22 PM
if i was patti i be like "omg a beatle or eric clapton, omg omg!! oh yah!!"

Bmm386
11-05-2005, 11:00 PM
George was either the biggest doormat in rock or the nicest guy in rock.

AdayTripper
11-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Yep thats true. How generous of George. ;)

Waylander
11-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I need more friends like George.

Beatlemaniac87
12-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I thought it was funny that Harrison didn't really care and that they were still friends. He had sort of a "you can have her" attitude.

If I recall correctly, Harrison died first, THEN Clapton took Boyd. I could be wrong though...

Iruleeverything
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
If I recall correctly, Harrison died first, THEN Clapton took Boyd. I could be wrong though...

Yes, you are majorly wrong, Harrison just died, clapton and boyd were together before then ;)

bodyheatseeker
12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Whats he supposed to do? Punch him out?

what I mean is in "something" Harrison pretty much says I love you I don't need anybody else but when another man took her he didn't give a crap

deadhead313313
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
I think its the fact that George and Eric had such a good friendship, that he thought maybe denying Clapton of Patti could ruin that. So he gave her up. Dunno, just a thought

kenshinzorz
12-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Harrison married model Pattie Boyd in 1966 and is reputed to have written the song "Something" for her in 1969, although he himself denied this, saying he was actually thinking about Ray Charles. In the late 1960s, Eric Clapton fell in love with Boyd, and famously poured out his unrequited passion on the landmark Derek and the Dominos album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1971). Soon after its release Boyd left her husband and she and Clapton subsequently married. Despite this, the two men remained close friends, calling themselves "husbands in law."

thats what i read from wikipedia

great layla live performance with jimmy page, jeff beck, eric clapton
http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=qpGh-d-nrJU&search=layla

ECwomantoneman
12-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Here's that Beck, Page and Clapton performance at the Ronnie Lane ARMS concert. Kenshinzorz's one has now been removed from Youtube so here's another one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCezy3QJ2M&NR

Enjoy! :headbang:

Lessthanbass22
12-22-2006, 03:39 PM
http://images.quizilla.com/L/Lottie1969/1105471611_DQUIZPATTIE.jpg

Dang Patti Boyd, superfox 5000. No wonder why she had two of the greatest minds in rock n roll history after her.

EL Conquestidor
12-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Some thoughts to ponder:
No matter how hot a woman is, someone, somewhere is tired of her shit.
Men are instinctively sexual preditors. If you were a Rock Star w/thousands of willing hotties at your command, you probably wouldn't get too excited about losing one.
Now some related tidbits.
Clapton also mentions the affair in another song. "Have to ever loved a woman" which appears on the live "Just One Night" album ( as 2 songs in one "Ramblin on my Mind/Have you ever loved a woman) is obviously about her. It contains the lyrics:
"Have you ever loved a woman, So much you tremble in pain (x2). And all the time you know, she bears another mans name.
But you carry on lovin that woman, so much it's a sin and shame (x2). And all the time you know, she belongs to your very best friend."
Also, "Layla" was originally written as kind of a sappy love song. During recording at Muscle Shoals Ala.,the Alman Brothers happened to be there doing some work. Duane Allman was asked to sit in w/Clapton and it was he that came up w/the signature "Layla" guitar riff, which lead to a complete change in how the song was recorded.

IrishBlues
12-23-2006, 01:15 PM
^ Wrong.

Have You Ever Loved a Woman was written by Freddie King.

Men are instinctively sexual preditors. If you were a Rock Star w/thousands of willing hotties at your command, you probably wouldn't get too excited about losing one.

Unless maybe you actually lover her? Theres a difference between a tramp groupie and the love of your life.

TeleE71
12-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Was Pattie Boyd hot? Yes! Was she the greatest wife in the world? NO! According to Tony Bramwell, a very close friend of the Beatles, Boyd was a notorious playgirl. At many of the recording sessions for the Beatles between 66 and 69 you'd find George on the phone to Pattie begging her to just come home and stop running around, partying all the time. George was very jealous and untrusting of her for the major part of their marriage. By the time Clapton got around to telling George he loved Pattie, George was probably pretty fed up with her. I doubt very seriously the song "Something" was entirely about her. Pattie and Eric didn't last long either. they divorced in 78. But that is just my theory on the whole thing, based on Bramwell's account and George's biography. George wound up ok, I certainly wouldn't call him a doormat. He was with Olivia Arias from 78 until he died in 01 and was very happy. Clapton did right Layla and Wonderful Tonight about Boyd. Pattie also wasn't the only muse in the family. Her sister, Jennifer, was the inspiration for Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper" and she ended up marrying Mick Fleetwood for a while.

SpiderFromMars
12-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Bros before ho's. :headbang: