A Guide To Your First Band

PDA

View Full Version : A Guide To Your First Band

Pearson
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey, thanks for reading this. Its my first article so give me a chance.

So, I've been in a band since last chirstmas and I can tell you it's a whole lot different to anything I thought it would be. You know, you sit there thinking its going to rock and we will be doing shows by the end of the week to all our friends and fans...... Yea right. (i apologize if this has been said before..)

Number 1)

Be prepared to put plenty of down time on your band, playing around with riffs and making lyrics.

Make sure you have practise in and outside of practise. No point in having a practise if you go there to learn your part which can be done as easily on your own as together. It chews up time your band doesn't have, a huge amount.

Number 2)

Don't expect to always get on with your band.

This almost never happens, it is as likey for you to be called up on stage during a concert and asked to play your instrument for your favourite band member. Just learn to live with it, you arent made to stay in the band no matter what happens. But you should always give people time, there have been times when i have doubted my other members abilities and personalities. But i just decided to wait, which I must say what the best decision so far in my career.

Number 3)

Don't be cocky.

If you be cocky to your other band members as if you run the show or even to say you "are what makes the band" your going to be pretty lonely on your own. Let everyone have their say and opinion, be diplomatic to each situation. If there is something you dislike and the rest of them like it wait. They will find out that is isn't as good as they originally thought. Because new things always have preference with decisions, so just wait.

Number 4)

Give your members encouragement and thanks

Make sure you congradulate people on achievements, its a band not school. So just because someone makes a mistake help them out by giving some encouragement. Even just saying it was good, but we will try it again. Half the time they will just need some more practise. Definitely do not put someone down for playing badly, the last thing you need when you are first starting is your so called "friends" saying you suck at your instrument, especailly vocals.

Number 5)

Experience

Get experience before you do anything, in my current/first band it took us 7 months till we finally nailed one complete original song. Once you pass this hump you will find your next songs much easier. Make sure everyone knows what they are to play and if they are happy with the song. Once this is done, play some gigs at your school, playing to your peers is most likely the best chance you have to prove yourseves as a band and to show off your skills to your friends. It is also the best place to start, you can't expect to be playing gigs at your cities top arenas at the start. You have to prove yourself to yourselves first and get stage confident. Then you build up to them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing, whoever is lead vocals, good luck. Its hard to do, especailly if you make lyrics, guitar and even lead. So it aint no walk in the park. When you get bored, just play around with your guitar. First off just play around with power chords, cowboy chords to just get a feel for composition. If you find a riff you like, write it down. Theres no use in have a riff if you forget it, then try to write lyrics for it. Remember no matter how crap they are, you can always fix them to your liking. In all our songs i have gone through over 3 sets of lyrics. Try to practise at least 3-10 hours a week if possible, 3 is minimin but 5 is about middle range for practise. If you can try practise at school or university it will have much better gear and a bass amp/PA for vocals and even mics.

Remeber a band isn't just fun, it's a business so keep it in mind.

Thanks a lot for reading, i hope you learnt something from it.

samlynch
11-04-2005, 06:13 PM
thanks, i will bare these in mind, as im going to try getting a band going soon,

:cheers:

Cmoney
11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Good job!
But... are you really one to tell people things about being in your first band when you are still
you still did a good job

Pearson
11-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks. Yea well, if i was in a new one then id be talking about my 2nd one as well. Ive been in it for a good year now so its just the things at the start.

phrank496
11-14-2005, 09:08 PM
very good! thanks man. Right now we (my band) are trying to create a new song, I can't believe is so freaking hard... there is always some problem "those chords sucks" or "those lyrics sucks". And we have to have something done in 3 weeks, we're gonna play at school and one of the teachers knows people in the music industry that can help us. I still have hope, but we haven't played together in like 3 weeks and the keybordist is grounded...

TheAbacus
11-19-2005, 01:15 AM
I would like to differ with one of the points you mentioned in your otherwise great article.

This is my personal opinion:
The band has to be managed by one person. I'm not talking about doing stuff like: ignoring other members suggestions, saying that I am the most important member etc.

I mean, when one person has an ear for music / more experience / more skill / talent etc. it is his duty to share the above with the other members. If someone plays something incorrectly, you have to tell him where he messed up. If he doesn't take criticism well, too bad. But taking things lightly in practice is unforgivable. If he is slack in his practice, the other members should encourage him, and later warn him. This is one of the cold and depressing realities of having a band. You will be criticized if you want to reach close to perfect...

Pearson
11-20-2005, 06:13 AM
I agree acubus. Sometimes it does pay to be critical. I do it sometimes too, but yea, i try to be the guy who is in charge. But im not a natural leader, me and my fellow guitarist are the guys with most experience, but ive been in the band longer so im in charge. It is much better to just be diplomatic, if you say na you can do that then they take it the wrong way.

But try saying, oh sweet. I think its a bit out but not by much, and just play them what to play and they will get it and if they don't, then be critical and they will feel pressured to practise. Thats what happened to our drummer, he was quite rubbish and we got tired after a short while then complained and he is the pwnage now. :D