Underrated/overlooked bands

PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/overlooked bands

Eskimo
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm fed up with some bands being completely overlooked on these forums. Post bands you reckon deserve to be mentioned more often on these forums.

Beecher - kinda grindcore-y hardcore, their newer stuff is a bit heavier.
Blood Has Been Shed - howard from killswitch's other band, his vocals suit this band a lot more. Much heavier than killswitch, think dillinger escape plan/meshuggah.
Burst - Kinda progressive melodic metal, not sure if it fits in the hardcore forum but oh well.
Crydebris - amazing uk band, epic, progressive uk hardcore, kinda what would happen if every time i die decided to go progressive.
Cubic Space Division - pyschedelic, spac-ey metal/hardcore
Devil Sold His Soul - ****ing amazing stuff from london/gloustershire. signed to visible noise, progressive hardcore a bit like a mix between isis and will haven.
Eden Maine - sort of DEP-ish stuff from the uk
Isis - progressive stuff, heavy and epic in parts but in other bits kinda floating and cinematic
Johnny Truant - metalcore from brighton, i like their earlier stuff best which is a bit more progressive but the newer stuff is just as good, just shorter songs and a bit heavier
Losa - sort of math metal a bit like mastodon
Madman Is Absolute - uk metalcore. For all the trivium fans
Mahumodo - devil sold his soul in an earlier incarnation. like a heavier, eastern-tinged version of deftones
The Ocean Fracture - like a heavier mars volta
Reflux - technical metalcore on prosthetic records
Shaped By Fate - uk metalcore band, lots of dischord lol
Sikth - Uk spazzy metal/hardcore, a bit like a mix between the dillinger escape plan & the mars volta
Twin Zero - atmospheric metal/hardcore band
Will Haven - hardcore/metal band from the sacramento area, like every time i die etc
With Passion - technical metalcore similar to btbam

Biggs
11-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Will Haven may be alright, but I have never been able to get in to the band that came after them...Ghostride.

Saw them support Biffy Clyro live, and, to be completely honest, they sounded awful.

LedZeppelin
11-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Neaera- Swedish metalcore. Very unique vocals.
The Red Death- Metalcore but a lot more complex than most metalcore. Just really good stuff.
Through The Eyes of the Dead. So amazingly good. They're actually touring with The Red Death now.

kaktusnpoop
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Blacklisted
Bane
Give Up The Ghost / American Nightmare

More actual hardcore bands

xKurtx
11-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Real hardcore bands...yeah those seem to get overlooked a lot. Bands like...
With Honor
Bane
Mental
Terror
Hoods
Blood for blood
Figure four
Go it alone
Agnostic Front
Youth of Today

Let's discuss these bands on a daily basis.

kaktusnpoop
11-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I couldn't agree with you anymore Kurt

The Hurt Within
11-05-2005, 02:50 PM
And i thought i was the only Cubic fan on these here forums...add "the murder of rosa luxemburg" "Calico System" "million dead" - dont tell me they aint hxc because they were, and the CD and live show differ more than any band i know. "PDHM" perhaps bung up "The Aconite Thrill" maybe even "bravo ****ing bravo" and "This Island Earth" "Paint the Town Dead"....i mean theres loads.

Eskimo
11-05-2005, 03:17 PM
And i thought i was the only Cubic fan on these here forums...add "the murder of rosa luxemburg" "Calico System" "million dead" - dont tell me they aint hxc because they were, and the CD and live show differ more than any band i know. "PDHM" perhaps bung up "The Aconite Thrill" maybe even "bravo ****ing bravo" and "This Island Earth" "Paint the Town Dead"....i mean theres loads.

The murder of rosa luxembourg & aconite thrill are great.

I always found PDHM a bit boring though.

noops
11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
people talk about norma jean way too much. when they should talk about coalesce and botch.

...but i guess that's because those bands are dead :(

kaktusnpoop
11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
people talk about norma jean way too much. when they should talk about coalesce and botch.

Just like how every single riff on 'O God the Aftermath' is almost identical to Botch's 'Anthology of Dead Ends'

Combat
11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
its funny you guys mention botch and coelesce, because i was just going to mention a band that is in that same genre and not many people know about them. they recently signed with prosthetic
check them out:

www.purevolume.com/theminortimes

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Every band that xKurtx listed and definatly Eden Maine that Eskimo put. Is their full length any good (if it's even come out yet, i'm out of loop with Eden Maine).

Considering your from London I was surprised that you haven't any LBU bands. So I will take this time to mention them:
Knuckledust
Ninebar
TRC
Prowler
Diction
Beatdown Fury (BDF)

Other bands which should be talked about but aren't:
On Thin Ice
Down To Nothing
FC Five
Earth Crisis
FLOORPUNCH!
H2O
Have Heart
In My Eyes
Integrity

I'll stop here...

xdespairfactor
11-06-2005, 09:36 AM

the coalesce led zeppelin cover album was possibly the worst thing ever. :-(

Eskimo
11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Every band that xKurtx listed and definatly Eden Maine that Eskimo put. Is their full length any good (if it's even come out yet, i'm out of loop with Eden Maine).

Considering your from London I was surprised that you haven't any LBU bands. So I will take this time to mention them:
Knuckledust
Ninebar
TRC
Prowler
Diction
Beatdown Fury (BDF)

Other bands which should be talked about but aren't:
On Thin Ice
Down To Nothing
FC Five
Earth Crisis
FLOORPUNCH!
H2O
Have Heart
In My Eyes
Integrity

I'll stop here...

Lol i'm too poor for the eden maine full length, but i saw it in hmv - the four tracks i have by them are amazing.
As for LBU bands like knuckledust, and the "real hardcore bands" that xKurtx suggested, i just find them a bit boring. I'm more into the progressive side of things.

LedZeppelin
11-06-2005, 10:56 AM
the coalesce led zeppelin cover album was possibly the worst thing ever. :-(

What? Hardcore bands doing zeppelin covers? ew.

kryptonite22
11-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Excellent list, threadstarter, I'm a big fan of Mahumodo and DSHS in particular.

How about November Coming Fire?

noops
11-06-2005, 11:46 AM
its funny you guys mention botch and coelesce, because i was just going to mention a band that is in that same genre and not many people know about them. they recently signed with prosthetic
check them out:

www.purevolume.com/theminortimes

i love minor times. haaaaah. :)

StuartR
11-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Azriel
xCannanx
Broken Oath
FR8
Lui Kang
By My Hands
The Nothing
Send More Paramedics
Rise With The Fallen
Nothing From Nowhere
The Punchline Is Murder
The Hunt For Ida Wave

um thats all i can think of right now.

XMeatHookMartyX
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
With Passion is amazing.

FlyingFuc!<
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
all bands in the hXc underground are NEVER under rated. no matter how little they always get attention and praise, maybe even more than they deserve.

hXcMacbeth3
11-06-2005, 03:50 PM
avenged sevenfold

shai_savant
11-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Azriel
xCannanx
Broken Oath
FR8
Lui Kang
By My Hands
The Nothing
Send More Paramedics
Rise With The Fallen
Nothing From Nowhere
The Punchline Is Murder
The Hunt For Ida Wave

um thats all i can think of right now.
Send More Paramedics is awsome.

Combat
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
i love minor times. haaaaah. :)
yes dude. amazing band, best performance ive seen by a band live. its so intense and it sounds exactly like recording.

funeralforafrie
11-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Becoming The Archetype?

xdespairfactor
11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah,... coalesce put out an album of nothing but zeppelin covers. It was.... not good.

SorrowIsMe
11-07-2005, 09:12 PM
These Days were good....

SilentSpectacle
11-07-2005, 09:20 PM
avenged sevenfold
:rolleyes: :liplick:

francoshade_uk
11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Send more paramedics are awful!

The problem is myspace really, its good because its cheap advertisement for bands but people have no idea what hardcore is they think any band with a tattoo that screams is hardcore!

I don't think its bands that are under rated there just not as talked about as others I dont allways feel the need to state eveyr band I listen too, and if a band is really good but under rated its often there fault for not trying to promote there self or not playing shows further a field...

I don't know, SS decontrol, youth brigade ill just say them because I dont think they have been metioned yet!

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
You call Send More Paramedics awful yet you like SS Decontrol? This puzzles me, granted the zombie thing can seem a bit overdone but I love them all the same. The guitarist is pretty damn good and they're a great, fun live band.

francoshade_uk
11-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Back from the dead going to the show 3 weeks dead you smell like ****

Or something like that, I hate bands which try to be undead or zombies it really is not my thing!

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Haha, at least get it right: 'Back from the dead, going to the show, can't feel my pulse but i'm still gonna go. Clinically deceased but I don't give a **** i'm a flesh creaping horror and i'm ready to rock!...3 weeks dead you smell like ****, we're the monsters of the mosh, demons of the pit' :p:

francoshade_uk
11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah that is a good line pretty catchy song as well... what was it called? ''Zombie crew''? or was it ''half life''

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Zombie Crew! A great song, I recently picked up the old album it's not as good as The Hallowed And The Heathen but it's still pretty good.

bobjewell87
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
"million dead" - dont tell me they aint hxc because they were, and the CD and live show differ more than any band i know..

i ****ing love you. That band were amazing, i still love both of their CD's and thankful for every show that i've been to see them (yes even when i went to see them supporting finch). Dear god I love them and hope they get big someday.

sXhXb13
11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
The Locust...

xdespairfactor
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Zombie Apocalypse > Send More Paramedics > The Banner.

Bleeding Black
11-08-2005, 10:23 PM

zombie apocalypse are badass. i made a thread about them a long time ago.

shai_savant
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
ZA is one of my favorite bands but the banner is meh

whyvern
11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
RAMBO, DS-13, Limp Wrist, Vitamin X et. al.

Gomorrah
11-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Shockwave, Disciple A.D, Sworn Enemy, An Albatross, Jesus Wept, Caliban, Cro-Mags, Discharge, Rorschach, Nerve Agents, A New Enemy, Integrity, Raised Fist, The Warriors, Showbread, etc.

Those and a lot of true screamo bands, like Joshua Fit For Battle and City of Caterpillar.

EDIT: Ten Yard Fight! lolz nobody even mentions them.

emokid182
11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
^^^ wow

oh man i saw integrity a couple weeks ago, it was insane. I didn't know this many kids in here liked real hardcore.

sXhXb13
11-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Old UnderOATH is underrated. Mostly cause hardly anyone knows about it lol.

shai_savant
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Old UnderOATH is underrated. Mostly cause hardly anyone knows about it lol.
not true

sXhXb13
11-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Hardly anyone as in anyone outside of the hXc scene. All the scene kids think that UnderOath only has "Their Only Chasing Safety"

shai_savant
11-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Hardly anyone as in anyone outside of the hXc scene. All the scene kids think that UnderOath only has "Their Only Chasing Safety"
i disagree

shai_savant
11-09-2005, 12:15 AM
am i the only one that only likes the note by bane and none of the other cds...well i've only heard give blood besides the note....and also who here has heard THIS IS HELL

StuartR
11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Million Dead split up mate.

xKurtx
11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
am i the only one that only likes the note by bane and none of the other cds...well i've only heard give blood besides the note....and also who here has heard THIS IS HELL

I think all of Bane's stuff is great, but The note is a step up.
This is hell is awesome, I've been into them for a little while now, my cousin got me into them after Bats and Knives toured with them last August.

And yeah, lots of people know of old Underoath, maybe not the fuse/mtv2 crowd, but the old stuff is not overlooked.

pmeg568c
11-11-2005, 02:08 AM
am i the only one who doesnt like bane? lol

Eskimo
11-11-2005, 11:12 AM
am i the only one who doesnt like bane? lol

nope. i hate bane :)

LedZeppelin
11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks new Underoath is exactly the same as old, and they both suck?

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Every band that Whyvern said especially RAMBO and all the bands Gomorrah said especially Integrity, Sworn Enemy and Ten Yard Fight.

The best Bane album is Holding This Moment, as it happens i'm wearing my Bane shirt and reminiscing over the show last Saturday. This Is Hell are also amazing.

XMeatHookMartyX
11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
The Locust...
*overrated

duncang
11-14-2005, 01:13 PM
The Fall Of Troy.

They are popular-ish, but still way overlooked.

surburus_666
11-15-2005, 08:54 AM
50 Caliber

underoath888
09-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Calico System

bobjewell87
09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
murder of rosa luxembourg, i urge you all to download anything you can find by them.

passionate, epic, violent, spazzy. disapeared in a whimper in 2004/5? from some town in the west midlands of the uk. Just amazing really

Disco Vietnam
09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Stay Gold.

technicolour
09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
What? Hardcore bands doing zeppelin covers? ew.

Pft, listen to Earth Crisis' cover of Sunshine of your love, it's a Cream cover, and it still kicks ass.

Most I would say have been said I believe...hmm maybe...

Set it straight
Life long tragedy
Iron age (I've heard real good things about this band)
Good clean fun
Modern life is war

EDIT - almost forgot Carry on

..for a hardcore forum, there isn't that much discussion of hardcore bands.

DBS_KICKS_ASS
09-26-2006, 06:26 PM
CHAIN OF STRENGTH
antagonist
winds of plague
refused

Disco Vietnam
09-26-2006, 06:54 PM
CHAIN OF STRENGTH
antagonist
winds of plague
refused
Chain of Strength is awesome.

DBS_KICKS_ASS
09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
^indeed. which is why they to be around here more.

SilentSpectacle
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Misery Signals is probably the most underrated metalcore band around.
They're seriously amazing.

tommclaughlan
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
bands such as:

Transistor Transistor
Get ****ed
Wolves
City of Caterpillar
Pageninetynine
Orchid

in summary, most bands off level plane, and similar labels..

i suppose it's not REAL hardcore as such, and some could even say screamo (in the original sense of the word mind you).

Dithindious
11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Madman is Absolute!!! Are the best!!! There SOOOOOO much better than Trivium in everyway but there kinda different styles cause Madman are like Metal/Thrash and Trivum are more Metalica.

Send More Paramedics - amazing zombie related band with good guitar work as well.

If you like hardcore check out Knuckledust or if u can find it check out there split album with Unite who are also amazing.

Co-Exist are pretty amazing as well but there vergin on the heavy end of full on facial maulage.

Man Must Die
Godplayer
The Punchline is Murder
RSJ

Thats the most i can think of there pretty much all Metal/Hardcore/Thrash or along those lines

gr1170
05-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Becoming the Archetype

Refused

Blindside (more so older stuff)

kurtrip
05-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Bulldoze :)
R.A.M.B.O.
Vitamin X
Seein' Red (ex-Lärm)
Betercore
Shikari
Acme
Rorschauch
Mörser
Some Girls
septic death
palatka

saxaxe
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Aborted Existence
Trapped Under Ice
The Murder of Rosa Luxemborg
The Power and the Glory
Pelican
Dim the Lights
Trash Talk

Craigo
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Floor Punch
Murphy's Law
Wake Up Call
Alligence (sp?)
Ruiner

saxaxe
05-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Floor Punch
Murphy's Law
Wake Up Call
Alligence (sp?)
Ruiner
+5 cool points.
Great live show

zayG
05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Gray Ghost

Spiritual_Cramp
05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Floor Punch
Murphy's Law
Wake Up Call
Alligence (sp?)
Ruiner

Floorpunch has ****ty lyrics, imo.

Craigo
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Floorpunch has ****ty lyrics, imo.
98% of hardcore bands have shitty lyrics in my opinion :p:

Selkies921
05-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Just to let you know there is nothing "core" about Isis and in the realms of knowledgeable music fans, they're pretty big.

lordneezi
05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Only Innocent Die
Before Their Eyes

zayG
05-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Just to let you know there is nothing "core" about Isis and in the realms of knowledgeable music fans, they're pretty big.
There is plenty core about them. If Gray Ghost can be considered hardcore, early Isis can as well.

Cedence
05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Trap Them
In Remembrance
I Rise

DressingCold
05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Chronic Seizure
The Repos
Loser Life
Annihilation Time
Crime Desire
Homostupids
Double Negative
Cheap Art

AKA some of the best bands in hardcore today.

zayG
05-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Trap Them
In Remembrance
I Rise
Dunno if I should ask here, but do you have any I Rise you could up?

Cedence
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I have Down, I'll up it and PM it to you

you should check out their new song on myspace. ****'s great. They played here the other week, played a few new songs. The new LP is going to shred

recklessnick
05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
FC Five

zayG
05-10-2008, 12:16 AM
FC Five
YES

tomohawkjoe
05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
FC Five
Why didn't anyone tell me about this band. Holy ****, I'm listening to them right now and jesus ****, this is ridiculous!

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Hang The Bastard: http://www.myspace.com/hangthebastardlondon

Seriously this band kills, my band played with them last night and they just rule. Great bunch of people too, really nice and stuck around to see all the other bands despite having an epic journey home.

kurtrip
05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Why didn't anyone tell me about this band. Holy ****, I'm listening to them right now and jesus ****, this is ridiculous!
+1
holy ****

zayG
05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm surprised people haven't heard them. I looked into them out of boredom a few weeks ago and was blown away.

tomohawkjoe
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm surprised people haven't heard them. I looked into them out of boredom a few weeks ago and was blown away.
Man, I'm the slow one on this board. I always catch stuff really late.

recklessnick
05-10-2008, 11:28 PM
i only heard of FC Five two months ago when they played here in singapore. they are awesome live. you dont even notice that they dont have a 2nd guitarist

jabba777
05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
ARCHITECTS!!!

DSHS is definately underrated