How do play a solo just out of intution?

PDA

View Full Version : How do play a solo just out of intution?

invincibleneo
11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
My sole goal in life is to learn how to solo!! How do you just play solos out of complete intution when ur by yourself?

I knw a lotta scales and how does that exactly help i dont knw? And what has chord progressions have to do with any of this?

^(^.^<)(>^.^)^
11-06-2005, 09:02 AM
An easy way to practice soloing is playing something over the 12 bar blues.

electrik
11-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Just start by using the blues or pentatonic scale, make up some licks and play around.

seljer
11-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Mess around, learn scales, improvise over whatever music you can find.

Eventually it comes to you naturally

pentagram_man63
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
the thing is, although you may KNOW many scales like me, knowing how to IMPROVISE with them is a slightly different matter.

use the pentatonic scale at fitst (u might know it but if not it is (2 notes per string): 14 13 13 13 14 14.

mix the notes up and play around with it. at first, mixing the notes will sound ****. u will later develp some of your licks and stuff. whatever u do DONT just play the scale up and down in funky rythms as this is a bad habit and hard to get out of.

practice makes perfect - there are no shortcuts.

if u want a good backing track search '12 bar blues' in colums and click on the steal this video. there should be a free mark seal backing track to download.

:cheers:

Rankles
11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_soloing_pt1.html

I recommend this video, it's a great start to improvisation.

Earthquake
11-07-2005, 06:18 PM
The art of improvisation is a continual development and stems from an understanding of 3 areas.

Firstly I think its important to know the make-up of chords and the particular notes that go to form certain chords e.g C - C E G (1-3-5) ; Dm6 - D F A B (1-b3-5-6) etc. Also in the same way its important to know scales and the particular notes that go to form them. e.g. Cmaj -C D E F G A B C (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8). Therefore, if you know the chords that form the backing of a song, you can work out which notes exist in each chord and from this information decide which scale or notes of scale will work over the top of the chords.

Secondly its important to know where each note lies on the fretboard, and once this is understood then this allows you to explore different positions / fingering and move around more confidently.

Thirdly is the ability to express yourself musically - which takes time. This comes from within and is based on your musical influences. Using the two points above try to develop small phrases first, using various techniques - bends, pull offs etc and then gradually piece these phrases together to form a solo. Another way is to 'sing' the phrases and then try to reproduce them on the guitar.

All in all its a bit like learning to speak - first you must learn the letters, then you form words and finally you learn to naturally form sentences.

If you want to hear an example maybe check out one of my Covers in the Cover recording forum.