The Garage Rock Discussion Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Garage Rock Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bmm386
11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Oh yes, the Garage Rock thread. This is much like the Grunge Thread. Thing is we all know at one time or another you've liked some garage rock, whether it be 60's garage rock (Kinks, etc) Or some of todays great garage rock bands (Strokes, White Stripes, Hives).

So we have it, The Garage Rock Discussion Thread. Place any Questions/interesting facts/Sentences of hate/etc Regarding Garage Rock here.

Lets start it out simple, What do you like about Garage rock?

slinks
11-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I think you're going to find that there aren't a whole lot of people around here who like garage rock. Sure some do, but a majority don't for some reason or another.

I just bought Thee Michelle Gun Elephant's "Gear Blues" and that's a great hard rockin' album. It really doesn't matter that 98% of it's in Japanese.

I love garage rock just because they're often very simple, catchy songs that have that kind of dirty/gritty feel to them. My favorite band has to be the Black Keys, though I like most garage rock. Oneida, The Livin' Kitchen, The Detonations, The Heartless Bastards, The Kills, The Hives, The Von Bondies, The Willowz, The Unicorns, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death from Above 1979, White Stripes, The Vines, etc., etc. Great stuff.

So yeah :D

Iluvpowerchords
11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Guitar Wolf is pretty cool.

They count right?

ToolBass_dude
11-06-2005, 03:48 PM
The hives aren't bad.

but i cannot stand the white stripes...and im watching a programme about music and just had some morons talking about how great they are...

Tenacious_dex
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
^x1 I just saw that too. I thought they spoke the thuth, he does put alot of energy in. But they did say he was as good as Hendrix, which is a bit stupid, he's good, but not that good. I thought they would be higher than 46 though.

^x2 Japanese garage rock, hell yeah!

Garage rock has energy, and I like that. The catchy riffs and upbeat feel make it fun to listen to. Garage rock is probably my favourite type of rock. I enjoy, Hives, The Kills, Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vines, Kings of Leon, Kinks, Von Blondies, Sahara Hotnights, Subways, and of course, my favourite band, The White Stripes.

Interesting fact: The White Stripes got thrown out of the Hotel Yorba when they were recording there. Amazing!

I love garage rock. It makes my life complete.

Bmm386
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Any fans of the Strokes here?

Tenacious_dex
11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
^Yes there are- Well, I'm a fan. Have you heard 'Juice Box'? It's quite funky, and I like it. Reptilia, New York City Cops, and Last Night, are my favourites. When's the new album coming out?

slinks
11-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I enjoy the Strokes, though as far as garage bands go they aren't at the top of the list. Juice Box is a great song, though.

pistoldisco
11-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I just bought Thee Michelle Gun Elephant's "Gear Blues" and that's a great hard rockin' album. It really doesn't matter that 98% of it's in Japanese.

No way! Thee Michelle Gun Elephant is my favorite-band in the whole world (even though they broke up two years ago). I suggest you get more of their stuff.

For those who haven't heard TMGE there are some soundclips here:
http://us.share.geocities.com/alessandroaiello/tmge.swf

slinks
11-06-2005, 06:36 PM
^ Hell yes! Got it for $1.99 (plus shipping) too!:D I'm so proud of myself. Amazon Marketplace is a wonderful thing let me tell you.

Damn their songs get stuck in your head. SATANIC BOOM BOOM HEAD!

Killer.

Edit: Man, this thread is really taking off. We'll catch up with the grunge thread in no time :rolleyes:

pistoldisco
11-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Sweet.

Satanic Boom Head is great. Gear Blues is great, perhaps their best album (it was their breakthrough at least). So many great songs, Smokin' Billy, Killer Beach, Brian Down, G.W.D., Danny Go. All amazing songs.

Btw. here's a japanese site that has tabbed almost all of their music, almost only chords though, you'll have to figure out the rest yourself. :P

http://sound.jp/blueblack/

slinks
11-06-2005, 07:00 PM
That's cool thanks.

Hey there's this band called Cobra Verde that are out of Ohio that I've come to really like a lot (I made a thread but it didn't go over so well).

Their site is here (http://www.cobraverde.com/index.php?subject=discography-multimedia&sub=index) and you can listen to some of their songs. You definitely want to listen to the higher quality ones, the 28k sound like shit.

I haven't listened to all of them but I recommend the songs off of Nightlife since I own that album (except "What Makes a Man a Man", that song is just really strange and out of character for them, I guess it's not necessarily bad though).

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit: I can't navigate that TMGE site at all. :confus:

sirpsycho85
11-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Any fans of the Strokes here?

hell yes. "Hard To Explain" is one of the best songs written in years, and "Someday" isn't too far behind. They'd be hard pressed to top either of those, but i like both their albums and the new song has grown on me.

I also love the white stripes and libertines, and i enjoy franz ferdinand as well if you clump them there. I'd like to get into more bands from this genre.

i just bought a CD by Little Barrie as well. They're closer to white person soul though, but with a garage instrumental sound. Just the singer sounds like the guy from Maroon 5, which i don't mind but im sure some people do. The drummer sings backup and some dual leads, and he is probably a better singer actually. Anyway, they are pretty good, especially the single "Free Salute".

Bmm386
11-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I love me some Strokes, Reptili might have some of the coolest Guitar made. The solo in "You Talk Way Too Much" inspired me to play guitar.

Abe
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I really dislike The Strokes, but consider myself a garage rock fan. There's just something about them I find so....rubbish.

The White Stripes, The Von Bondies and Kings of Leon have all been mentioned but they are all fantastic IMO - The White Stripes are the best band I've ever seen live, it's amazing what a sound two people can produce.

Bmm386
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Its amazing what a show jack white can put on alone.

pistoldisco
11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I saw The White Stripes live almost 3 weeks ago when they were playing here in Sweden. It was brilliant. Too bad they can't put out the energy they have live on their records, that'd be so sweet. I like how he makes the songs "heavier" live (maybe even a little faster?).

I think all of The Strokes music sounds the same... :-/

YAY_FOR_PIE
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I like garage rock, but I have a question. I just bought the new White Stripes CD and love it, but would you consider it garage rock?

Bmm386
11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, very much.

sirpsycho85
11-07-2005, 09:48 PM
not my absolute favorite band today, but i will readily admit that the white stripes are making the most important music in modern rock. they are willing to play different sounds, have all the creative control they want and they have not had a bad album, some good some great. they have great riffs, great folksy songwriting, everything to be remembered as an absolutely classic band.

Bmm386
11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
If you check out elephant, they switch genres like 5 times.

trev_smith12
11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
It's about time someone made a thread on garage rock. I just love that in a time with so much boring overproduced music, bands can just come out and make the most raw and energetic music possible.

I like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Von Bondies, Strokes, Vines, Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, Death From Above 1979, Libertines, Hives, Kinks, Unicorns, and of course my all-time favourite band The White Stripes.

Tenacious_dex
11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
It's about time someone made a thread on garage rock. I just love that in a time with so much boring overproduced music, bands can just come out and make the most raw and energetic music possible.

I like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Von Bondies, Strokes, Vines, Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, Death From Above 1979, Libertines, Hives, Kinks, Unicorns, and of course my all-time favourite band The White Stripes.
The rawness and energeticness is definately the best part of garage rock. And I agree, in a time of boring overproduced music it is god to get something fresh.

If your favourite band is the White Stripes, I wonder if you would be interested in joining the fantastic White Stripes Fanclub.

In fact anyone can join the fanclub if you wish, and of course if you like the White Stripes.

Bmm386
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Does anyoen else think the Chorus to Walk idiot Walk is intoxicating?

Tenacious_dex
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
See the idiot talk......

I think it's a good chorus. My friend had the song in his head all day, and I didnt get bored of him singing it. Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones is better I think though.

DetroitRockCity
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
love garage rock...

anyone listen to the new white stripes cover single "Walking witha Ghost"?

trev_smith12
11-09-2005, 08:46 PM
^ yeah man, I saw them perform it live in Toronto. Everyone went crazy because Tegan & Sara are like one of the biggest Canadian Indie bands here. It's a great cover of a great song.

slinks
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
"Walking with a Ghost" is a great song, but I've yet to hear the Stripes' cover. I think I'll just wait for the EP to be released rather than download it.

Bmm386
11-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Ill have to check that out.

Tenacious_dex
11-10-2005, 03:56 PM
http://www.video-c.co.uk/micrositedisplayfull.asp?vidref=thew010&page=watch&FileType=ADSLProg
White Stripes new video for the Denial Twist!

http://media.putfile.com/The-White-Stripes---Live-On-Conan---4-2675
Stripes live on Conan. I love this, even though its not great quality.

I've not heard the cover, but I've heard the original of Walking With a Ghost, I'll have to get it somehow.
I'm trying to get tickets for the Stripes on E-bay for manchester on the 17th, but they're going for such high prices. Anyone care to offer yours too me? :D

DetroitRockCity
11-10-2005, 06:24 PM
man... the denial twist video is weird

slinks
11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Alright how about this: Everyone knows certain garage bands like the Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Vines, etc. But what's your favorite garage band that is either unknown or relatively unknown? Mine is a band called The Livin' Kitchen, who you can listen to here (http://music.download.com/livinkitchen/3600-8700_32-100609497.html?tag=listing_song_artist) or Cobra Verde (if they count) who I posted a link to on the first page. :D

jimmyjimjim
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
See the idiot talk......

I think it's a good chorus. My friend had the song in his head all day, and I didnt get bored of him singing it. Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones is better I think though.
my favorite hives chorus is in "b is for brutus"

but if you do it, do it good brutus
Real good! like a little man should!

its a great pump up song (for me, anyways)

Themaniac
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
i loooove garage-rock, especially the really dirty stuff... i like the idea of the name. a bunch of guys banned into a garage and playing old instruments with even older amps ;)

my favourites at the moment besides the already mentioned more known "classics" like the hives, the black keys,...

the (international) noise conspiracy

the blue van

and last but not least: tokyo sex destruction; in my eyes THE definition of garage rock. check out the album le red soul communitee. you can listen to 2 songs on the dimmak homepage

http://www.dimmak.com/mp3s/index.php

Tenacious_dex
11-11-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/news/news/2005/11/07/26816.shtml
Is this true? I've not heard it said anywhere else. Jack White= Three Quid? Sounds hard to beleive.

I don't really like non-very-well-heard-of garage rock bands. But I'll take a look at what you other guys posted up.

Bmm386
11-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Any Kinks fans here?

slinks
11-12-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/news/news/2005/11/07/26816.shtml
Is this true? I've not heard it said anywhere else. Jack White= Three Quid? Sounds hard to beleive.

If that is true it's probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. But like that guy said, as long as they keep playing well I couldn't care less.

Tenacious_dex
11-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I've just found out, it is true. Jack White has changed his name too III Quid, But only in Britain I think.

Any Kinks fans here?
I like the Kinks. 'Father Christmas' is probably the best christmas song ever. All day and all of the night, Lola, and Death of a Clown are all good songs.

Did anyone see the Strokes video for Juice Box? It was on Channel 4 last night. I've not seen it yet.

Long live the garage rock thread. Even though it's not going so well. :(

slinks
11-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Long live the garage rock thread. Even though it's not going so well. :(

Yeah it's really too bad. At least it got a worthy bump.

Bmm386
11-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Just keep on talking, theres not too many garage rock fans here.

I heart me some strokes though.

Themaniac
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
what do you think about babyshambles... the new band of libertines pete dohertey. i suppose it's garage rock too!?

and the newest hype-band from the uk: the arctic monkeys!? although it's a hype band i think they really rock! worth listening, believe me: it's garage rock

DetroitRockCity
11-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Just keep on talking, theres not too many garage rock fans here.

we should start a garage rock club :D

Bmm386
11-17-2005, 10:25 PM
As you can see, i belong to a number of clubs.

If you all wish to start one then by all means go ahead.

DetroitRockCity
11-18-2005, 07:01 AM
As you can see, i belong to a number of clubs.

If you all wish to start one then by all means go ahead.

i don't know how

Rhinosaur Bones
11-18-2005, 07:29 AM
what do you think about babyshambles... the new band of libertines pete dohertey. i suppose it's garage rock too!?

Hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE! Pete Doherty is a f*cking tool.

Tenacious_dex
11-18-2005, 11:05 AM
i don't know how
Just put in your sig 'President of the Garage rock fanclub. PM me to join.' Or something like that.

I hate babyshambles, and Pete Doherty too. The Libertines were better, but not by much.
Arctic Monkeys on the other hand are good. 'Fake Tales of San Fransisco' is a great song, and so's 'I bet you look good on the dancefloor'

Long live this thread! :D

slinks
11-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I really can't stand the Arctic Monkeys, just another overhyped band a la the Kaiser Chiefs (thouch the Arctic Monkeys are better than them). Babyshambles is completely useless, though I do mildly enjoy the Libertines once in a while.

DetroitRockCity
11-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Just put in your sig 'President of the Garage rock fanclub. PM me to join.' Or something like that.

fine pm me to join

Bmm386
11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know who created garage rock?

Tenacious_dex
11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
^Me... I wish. :(

No idea.

DetroitRockCity
11-19-2005, 11:38 AM
ok i've got an idea to keep this thread alive...
what would be you ideal garage rock playlist
mine is

Lola- the Kinks
You Really got me now- the kinks
I need You- the kinks
Jumble Jumble- the white stripes
Lets Build a home- the white stripes
girl, you have no faith in medecine- the white stripes
fell in love with a girl- the white stripes
Hate to say i told you so- the hives
No pun intended- the hives
Abra Cadevera- the hives
last night- the strokes
juicebox- the strokes
when it started- the strokes

slinks
11-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Black Keys "All Hands Against His Own"
Black Keys "Just Couldn't Tie Me Down"
Thee Michelle Gun Elephant "Killer Beach"
White Stripes "Jumble Jumble"
White Stripes "Blue Orchid"
Livin' Kitchen "Mambo Groove"
Oneida "Run Through My Hair"
Strokes "Juicebox"
Strokes "Reptilia"
Kills "Love is a Deserter"
Heartless Bastards "Runnin'"
Willowz "Meet Your Demise"
Unicorns "Tuff Ghost"

Bmm386
11-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Hate to Say i Told You So - The Hives
Walk Idiot Walk - The Hives
Juice Box - The Strokes
Reptilia - The Strokes
12:51 - The Strokes
Automatic Stop - The Strokes
Lola - The Kinks
Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
You really got Me - The Kinks
Blue Orchid - The White Stripes
Black Math - The White Stripes
Fell in Love with a Girl - The White Stripes
Get Free - The Vines
Ride - The Vines

sirpsycho85
11-19-2005, 05:21 PM
can somebody else who DID like the libertines comment on babyshambles, because i haven't heard anything by them. i did love the libertines, but it seemed that carl was the bigger talent in the band...

am i missing something, how is "sunny afternoon" remotely garage rock?

Bmm386
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Its the kinks buddy.

cagnius
11-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Two words - The. Datsuns.

Bmm386
11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
has anyone else noticed that almost every garage rock band is "The ____"?

phobos
11-20-2005, 12:08 AM
has anyone else noticed that almost every garage rock band is "The ____"?
yeah, i remember while back when the Hives and White Stripes were starting to get popular, they called it the attack of the "The" bands.

The Hives seem to get either great hate or great love. i love 'em. but their older stuff is pretty punk (several songs on Barely Legal declare it), but even so it kinda sets itself apart from regular punk. whatever the case, its high energy rock n roll, like it should be. good stuff.

sirpsycho85
11-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Its the kinks buddy.

oh i know it's the kinks, and i know they have some garage rockish songs, but sunny afternoon is not at all garage rockish. i wouldn't even count the band as garage rock, though they do rule.

DetroitRockCity
11-20-2005, 03:06 PM
why is no one joining my garage rock club?

Bmm386
11-20-2005, 05:00 PM
oh i know it's the kinks, and i know they have some garage rockish songs, but sunny afternoon is not at all garage rockish. i wouldn't even count the band as garage rock, though they do rule.

Compared to today, they are not garage rock. But in the 60s, they were incredibly garage.

Themaniac
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
to add to the whole doherty story: it's about the music and not about the person. I think pete's an idiot but it doesn't change the fact that the music is good... so if you like the libertines i would give babyshambles a chance.

and if you like the older hives stuff you must listen to the new bomb turks (album: scared straight).

Tenacious_dex
11-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Because we all hate garage rock.... :p:
It's because it won't fit in my sig, and I'm already in two clubs.

I've tried putting my favourite garage rock playlist, but it was too long, so my computer broke, twice. I may put it on later.

Whom here likes The Others? I bought the album, but not heard it much. My favourite songs are 'William' and 'This is for the poor'.
And who's heard of 'Hiss'. I bought their album, because it was a pound, but not heard it yet. I think they're garage rock anyway.

slinks
11-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I've kind of sworn off clubs since I joined about 4 of them my first week on UG. So from then on I told myself no more clubs.

To Dex: I've never heard of The Others, I'll have to check them out. The Hiss are a good band, though I've only heard a handful of songs. Definitely worth the pound you paid.

Themaniac
11-21-2005, 04:17 PM
The Others are really good. I like the singing. they don't seem to care much about it being in tune and that's pure garage-style...

Goon
11-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Garage rock helps me get to sleep at night. It's a good thing, I love that sleep.
Garage rock isn't what it used to be, alot of it was influenced by punk it seems. I like the old Garage rock all the better nowadays anyway.

I saw the Strokes last night on TV playing juice box, awesomness. I love the Strokes even though I used to think their songs were waay to repititive and I still guess they are but now they've been embedded in my brain enough for me to enjoy! I think a lot of Garage rock is like that.

pistoldisco
11-23-2005, 06:41 AM
I think Babyshambles are quite nice, Fu*k Forever is a great song. Love the opening riff.

For those who likes Thee Michelle Gun Elephanty, the best band in the world, I would recommend Rosso, Chiba Yusuke's (TMGE singer/guitarist), new band. It's a trio were Chiba plays leadguitar (and sings ofcourse). Not as good as TMGE but still great. Still...if you haven't heard all of TMGE's music, don't get in to Rosso yet. Heh.

Yesterday I tried to listen to Hives....I just can't....it's so weak music.

Cause clubs are stupid.

DetroitRockCity
11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Cause clubs are stupid.

:eek:

Bmm386
11-23-2005, 09:51 PM
1251 is the coolest song to play with a band.

Rhinosaur Bones
11-24-2005, 12:30 AM
I saw the Strokes last night on TV playing juice box, awesomness. I love the Strokes even though I used to think their songs were waay to repititive and I still guess they are but now they've been embedded in my brain enough for me to enjoy! I think a lot of Garage rock is like that.

The Strokes kicked ass on Rove Live. I was really expecting them to be bad, mainly Julian, but they actually sounded really good. Nick Valensi looked really different too, I hardly recognised him.

Goon
11-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah I love my Rove live and that was the best episode ever and not just because the Strokes played.

Anyone know when the new album comes out... possibly when it comes out in Australia?

Rhinosaur Bones
11-24-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm not really a fan of Rove, but I thought I'd watch to see The Strokes. No idea on the release date. Try checking out some of the music news.

slinks
11-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Anyone know when the new album comes out... possibly when it comes out in Australia?

January 3rd here in the States, it's probably not the same in Australia but it's most likely somewhere near the 3rd.

utsapp89
11-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Did anyone see the Strokes video for Juice Box? It was on Channel 4 last night. I've not seen it yet.
I saw it off of their site. Everyone has new gear, which I thought was cool. I hear of a White Stripes EP for their next single that has 4 live tracks on it in early December. Anyone know more about this?

Tenacious_dex
11-24-2005, 05:13 PM
I saw it off of their site. Everyone has new gear, which I thought was cool. I hear of a White Stripes EP for their next single that has 4 live tracks on it in early December. Anyone know more about this?
I've seen the video now. It's quite good. I like the starting... 'This is Stroke with Juicey Juice!'

I'd like to find more out about that White Stripes EP, I've not heard anything about it yet though. I'll have a look on their official website see if I can find anything. It sounds interesting though- I wonder which song they'll release. I think White Moon.

Rhinosaur Bones
11-25-2005, 03:20 AM
http://www.themodernage.org/2005/10/jack-and-meg-officially-walk-with.html

There you go everyone.

DetroitRockCity
11-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I've seen the video now. It's quite good. I like the starting... 'This is Stroke with Juicey Juice!'

I'd like to find more out about that White Stripes EP, I've not heard anything about it yet though. I'll have a look on their official website see if I can find anything. It sounds interesting though- I wonder which song they'll release. I think White Moon.

i think it'll be "take, take, take"

utsapp89
11-26-2005, 08:51 PM
http://www.themodernage.org/2005/10/jack-and-meg-officially-walk-with.html

There you go everyone.
Nice. I picked up Gear Blues by MGE on Amazon the other day, really ace stuff. This thread is awesome for new recomendations and stuff...

slinks
11-26-2005, 09:54 PM
^ Well here's a few others for you to check out :D (some you may have heard of)

-Oneida
-Cobra Verde
-The Unicorns
-The Detonations
-The Heartless Bastards
-The Livin' Kitchen
-The Willowz
-The Ponys
-The Malcontents
-Death From Above 1979
-The Turpentine Brothers
-Zen Guerrilla

utsapp89
11-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks. :cheers:
I've only heard of Death From Above 1979 and Cobra Verde, I'll be sure to check those out.

rpguitardude
11-26-2005, 11:54 PM
The Strokes kick A$$ !

Tenacious_dex
12-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Hello garage rockers! Long time no see.

Just posting to ask if you've found out anything about the garage rock world recently? And to just say a couple of things too.

What are your views on Steriogram? I consider them garage rockish, with some funk in there too, but overall are a good band. Walkie Talkie Man and Tsunami are my favourite songs.

And if anyone likes the White Stripes, this website is an excellent source of information and also has some videos and live song downloads. http://www.whitestripes.net/index.php

*This is not a bump in disguise* :)

Iluvpowerchords
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289919

Check those guys out, they're a pretty cool Garage punk band.

Download Christina.

Garage Rock is so cool :cool:

slinks
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
3 weeks, 4 days until the new Strokes album (here in the US at least).

DetroitRockCity
12-08-2005, 09:13 PM
*This is not a bump in disguise* :)

:D
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/white_stripes/artist.jhtml?_requestid=244694
not a fan of vh1 myself but they have a 3 song acoustic video session with the stripes
from GBMS (its under "check it out") :cool:

Iluvpowerchords
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
:D
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/white_stripes/artist.jhtml?_requestid=244694
not a fan of vh1 myself but they have a 3 song acoustic video session with the stripes
from GBMS (its under "check it out") :cool:

Dude, That Acoustic Guitar Jack is using is awesome!

DetroitRockCity
12-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Dude, That Acoustic Guitar Jack is using is awesome!

i know its sweet

Tenacious_dex
12-11-2005, 08:34 AM
^I don't like that guitar. But it was a nice short set to watch.
Bmm386 and Rinosaur Bones have been banned. :( That might be why the thread is going slowly.

From the White Stripes newsletter:

"Hello children,

Jack and Meg have just announced that they will be playing 3 club dates in addition to headlining Big Day Out while they are down under in Australia. Be sure to check out the tour page for all of the details on http://www.whitestripes.com

Just in time for the holidays, V2 Records will be releasing a 5 song maxi single in North America tomorrow, December 6th. The tracks included on this release are:

1. Walking With A Ghost
2. Same Boy You've Always Known (Live in Manaus, Brazil)
3. As Ugly As I Seem (Live on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic)
4. The Denial Twist (Live on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic)
5. Screwdriver (Live in Manaus, Brazil)

Thanks,
The White Stripes newsletter team"

Zevious Zoquis
12-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Ah yes, garage rock. I'm a huge garage rock fan.

Here's a few you guys may not be familiar with:

1. Help You Anne - The Lyres... this might just be the single most perfect garage rock song ever written. The Lyres were a Boston band lead by a guy named Jeff "monoman" Conolly. He became famous (actually more like infamous) for his obsessive devotion to the genre. They released about five albums in the eighties, but the best is On Fyre. It kicks righteous ass as far as garage rock goes and Help You Anne is the highlight of the album.

2. Looking For Lewis And Clarke - The Long Ryders ... not really a garage rock band, but this is a killer cut nonetheless.

3. Mary Don't Change - The Del Fuego's ...more of a rootsy/bluesy band but this song is pretty garage rockish...

also check out The Fleshtones, The Chesterfield Kings, The Vipers, The Del Lords, The Barracudas...lots of good stuff I can remeber from the eighties.

Iluvpowerchords
12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
This thread is in need of a bump.

So how about them Mummies?

Weren't they just awesome? They even dressed like mummies on stage.

Who else likes the mummies?

ragethesage
12-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Why does everyone think that The Strokes and The White Stripes are garage rock? Thats something I do not understand.

Everyone needs to listen to:

Billy Childish
Thee Headcoats
Thee Mighty Caesars
Thee Fine Lines
The Bloody Hollies
The Oblivians
The Gories
The Reatards
The Reigning Sound
The Detroit Cobras
The Dirtbombs
The Screws
The Mummies
The Alarm Clocks
The Chessmen
The Classics
The Cliques
The Decades
The Dirty Wurds
The Elite
The Emperors
Fallen Angels
The Gentlemen
Grains Of Sand
The Hatfields
The Heard
The Human Beings
Ken & The Fourth Dimension
Larry & The Blue Notes
The Outsiders
Paul Bearer & The Hearsemen
The Plague
Royal Flairs
The Sound Barrier
The Spades
The Uncalled For
The Vestells

and of course the two bands that essentially started it all:

The Sonics and The Wailers!

Bmm386
12-24-2005, 05:56 PM
the Kinks started it i think.

who else really wants to see the strokes live in january?

Tenacious_dex
12-24-2005, 06:55 PM
^Welcome back after bannination.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Strokes, but I'm not paying loads to see them.

The Raconteurs album is finished now, (Jack White and Brendon Benson's new band) and it will be released in May, and followed straight after by a tour.

slinks
12-24-2005, 09:56 PM
^May? @#$@$#%$@%$@#$!&&*&^@#%!!!!!

Bmm386
12-25-2005, 07:31 PM
^Welcome back after bannination.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Strokes, but I'm not paying loads to see them.

The Raconteurs album is finished now, (Jack White and Brendon Benson's new band) and it will be released in May, and followed straight after by a tour.

Nice. It was almost like a Christmas present to not be banned, i was unbanned on Christmas eve.

Didnt jack White do an album with Loretta Lynn?

DetroitRockCity
12-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Nice. It was almost like a Christmas present to not be banned, i was unbanned on Christmas eve.

Didnt jack White do an album with Loretta Lynn?

yeah he produced it and played on one of the songs i think...

YAY_FOR_PIE
12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Does anyoen else think the Chorus to Walk idiot Walk is intoxicating?
Yes it is, but still.......Abra Cadaver turns my dancing button on.

Bmm386
12-27-2005, 11:17 PM
What are your views on Steriogram? I consider them garage rockish, with some funk in there too, but overall are a good band. Walkie Talkie Man and Tsunami are my favourite songs.

I love steriogram, walkie talkie man has such a cool video.

Sgt_Pepper27
12-28-2005, 10:37 PM
This thread is in need of a bump.

So how about them Mummies?

Weren't they just awesome? They even dressed like mummies on stage.

Who else likes the mummies?

^ Can't say ive heard of the Mummies any song suggestions or albums? & WOW! They dress like mummies on stage! How garage rock :)

I've just recently got into garage rock but mainly just the more known bands like Vines, Strokes & Hives however the Kinks are one of my favourite bands ever. I'm not a real big fan of the Stripes though.

Goon
12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Yes it is, but still....... Abra Cadaver turns my dancing button on.

Holy moley NOT the dancing button. Antidote does it to me though, you're not the alone my friend.

I'm in a pickle about whether I like the Hives or not.

My Reasons for not liking them
- Most of their songs are really annoying ( unless you're planning to dance ).
- Pelle is too good-looking. :(
- They always sound so up themselves in interviews.
- The first album really, really blows.
- The 3 powerchord thing...

I'll always have the biggest soft spot for them though. They put on the greatest show (seriously), signed my cds and I got Vigilantes pick. Not to mention... they're Swedish.

pistoldisco
12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
^ Totally agree about The Hives. The only song that I've thought "well this melody is alright" is "Two-Timing Touch And Broken Bones", and that melody is like 50 years old! It's been used so many times at different speeds. I still don't like it.

But beeing swedish myself it's nice to see how such a band can make so well in the big world.

Oh, and Billy Childish is pretty awesome.

DetroitRockCity
12-29-2005, 01:55 PM
i agree about the hives... they are good fun but have little substance, which is also how i find the strokes...

that is why i like the white stripes a lot more... they have many different levels and in my opinion more talent...

Bmm386
12-29-2005, 03:33 PM
i Loved Walk Idiot Walk.

Who counts Cake as garage here?

Tenacious_dex
12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
^Never heard of them. What are some good songs?

I got the Hives DVD for christmas, and it's excellent. There's also a competition on UG to win it.
Some of their songs do sound the same, but if you see them live, they're excellent. I've not actually seen them live, but on the DVD they look good, and other people have said so too, who have seen them.

Bmm386
12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Cake Im sure you have heard their songs. Never There, The Distance, Short Skirt/Long Jacket. Good stuff. im just not sure if their garage rock or not.

Tenacious_dex
12-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I've heard a few songs now. I would consider them garage rock I think. I don't recognise any songs though, besides 'Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps', but that's because it's on the start to Coupling (Tv show). :D
They seem pretty good. I'm going to look how much any of their albums are now. I might consider buying one.

Bmm386
12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
I'd Check out Pressure Chief, its my favorite.

Tenacious_dex
12-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I've found it for 8.75. I think that's a good price, and I might think about spending some of my christmas money on it. Hmm. It's either that or Wolfmother. I'll think about it overnight.

Godzilla1969
12-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I like Paul Revere and the Raiders. They're from the late 60's I think.

Bmm386
12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
I think they're early 60s.

DetroitRockCity
12-31-2005, 01:56 PM
alright lets keep this thread alive...

umm... oh heres a good question

what is your least favorite white stripes song?

i really can't think of any (they're all great)

but umm if i had to choose probabally "passive manipulation" or "offended in every way"

Bmm386
12-31-2005, 02:03 PM
It's True That We Love One Another, i hate that song.

It sounds like a song for a kids TV show.

slinks
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Anyone else looking forward to The Raconteurs album as much as I am?

And what are everyone's thoughts on the Strokes' "First Impressions of Earth"? I bought it the day it was released and I have to say it's my favorite of their's thusfar. I've heard people go both ways on it though.....

pistoldisco
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Don't want to be rude but seriously, they're not worth beeing called "Garage Rock". When I hear the word "Garage Rock" I think rusty hard-rocking music that really rocks. This is the third proof (or have they done more records?) that they're just very mellow and their music feels so "polished", it feels like it's made on a computer. They're rather "alternative" poprock. I mean they're almost like Coldplay for christ sake. Sorry, boring in my opinion.

(Please don't give me the blabla Garage Rock is this and that and beatles/who/stones where once garage, I know what I'm talking about.)

Bmm386
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
^^who are you talking about?

Who has bought the new strokes album? I might get it but im not sure if its going to be any good.

the1
01-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, I've heard Juicebox and its a great song.
Would anyone here consider Mudhoney "garge rock/punk"?

Tenacious_dex
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
The Strokes I think.
They're considered modern garage rock to most people, so that's wh we shoved them in here.

My least favourite Stripes song would probably be It's true that we love one another. I didn't like the Nurse when I first heard the album, but I've grown to like it now.

I am very much looking forward to the Raconteurs album. I wonder what it'll sound like. I'm guessing weird. :D I wish it came out sooner.

I like Juice Box, and that's all I've heard from the latest Strokes album. I might buy it, although I'd like to hear a couple more songs first. I thought their other two albums were alright, some good songs, some not so great.

DetroitRockCity
01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
i'm not sure about the Raconteurs. Jack white is sweet be i'm afraid that he will lose his bluesy white stripes sound...

pistoldisco
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM

Who has bought the new strokes album? I might get it but im not sure if its going to be any good.

Strokes.

Bmm386
01-06-2006, 05:23 PM
The Strokes I think.
They're considered modern garage rock to most people, so that's wh we shoved them in here.

My least favourite Stripes song would probably be It's true that we love one another. I didn't like the Nurse when I first heard the album, but I've grown to like it now.

I am very much looking forward to the Raconteurs album. I wonder what it'll sound like. I'm guessing weird. :D I wish it came out sooner.

I like Juice Box, and that's all I've heard from the latest Strokes album. I might buy it, although I'd like to hear a couple more songs first. I thought their other two albums were alright, some good songs, some not so great.

Room on Fire was Amazing.

Tenacious_dex
01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Alright! I think it's time for another surge of garage-rock posts. Anyone got any new information or whatever? I have a couple of things.

The White Stripes are going to appear on an episode of the Simpsons in the next season, which will be shown in America in autumn (fall).

The Raconteurs are releasing their first single. Stuff from NME: http://www.nme.com/news/white-stripes/22043 (It's also got a nice picture on there.)
'Steady, As She Goes'/'Store Bought Bones' will be a limited edition vinyl-only release and is out on January 30. The band, who are fronted by Jack White and Brendan Benson, are planning live shows in the UK soon.
I'm definately going to see them. :cool:

I bought the Hives debut album 'Barely Legal' last week, and actually quite like it. I thought I wouldn't because it would be too 'punky' but it's not that bad. And for a good price of 4.

What are everyone's views on Electric Six? They're kind of garage rocky, but I've only heard a couple of songs. I might purchase their album if I feel like it. I like what I've heard: Danger High voltage, and Gay Bar. But what do the other song's sound like?

Oh, and Meg White's doing some modelling. :p:

Rhinosaur Bones
01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Electric Six are pretty cool. I'm tempted to buy an album myself. All they're songs are over the top and good fun.

Lukeisonfire
01-26-2006, 06:42 PM
ball & a biscuit is awsome! love the stripes and hive but are the strokes garage? I think they are... MAybe not

Bmm386
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
What is our thought on Cake. I freaking love them. They're a mix of garage rock and ska. pretty cool in my mind.

Goon
01-27-2006, 06:43 AM
The White Stripes are going to appear on an episode of the Simpsons in the next season, which will be shown in America in autumn (fall).

I wonder if Jack will be yellow.

Tenacious_dex
01-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I wonder if Jack will be yellow.
:haha: I was thinking that too. He might be white to go with the colour scheme. We'll just have to wait and see.

What is our thought on Cake. I freaking love them. They're a mix of garage rock and ska. pretty cool in my mind.
I quite like Cake, they are pretty cool. Only heard a few songs though, might buy an album if I can find one cheapish, because I'm stingy. :p:

ball & a biscuit is awsome! love the stripes and hive but are the strokes garage? I think they are... MAybe not
Yeah, we talk about the Strokes in here. Ball and Biscuit is my favourite song. It's just beautiful in it's weird way. I love the Hives too- Have you got their DVD?

DetroitRockCity
01-29-2006, 12:21 PM
damn lets revive this thread...
so what do ya'll think of Louis XIV.
i just discoverd them an love em...

Tenacious_dex
01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
They're alright. I've heard a few songs, but not heard them enough to make up my mind yet.

BIG NEWS:
The Raconteurs have a website up, and has their two new singles on and has pictures and news and alsorts:
www.theraconteurs.com
I like the songs. New album is released in May.

slinks
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
^Those Raconteurs songs are pretty damn good, looking forward to the album just a little bit more now.

I hate them. They just annoy the shit out of me.

Rhinosaur Bones
01-31-2006, 02:51 AM
The Raconteurs' tracks weren't that good. It wasn't much like The White Stripes, which is cool, but it also wasn't very interesting. Too much like every other alternative rock band around these days.

boredretard
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, I've heard Juicebox and its a great song.
Would anyone here consider Mudhoney "garge rock/punk"?

theres a difference between grunge and garage

KingBrendan5149
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
does anyone hear like The Redwalls? i don't know if they would be considered garage rock but they ****ing rock.

DetroitRockCity
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
The Raconteurs' tracks weren't that good. It wasn't much like The White Stripes, which is cool, but it also wasn't very interesting. Too much like every other alternative rock band around these days.

i agree

btw how is Raconteurs pronounced?

Lukeisonfire
01-31-2006, 05:19 PM
ahhhh! I hate them sorry but they are so nerdy!!!!!!!1

Tenacious_dex
01-31-2006, 05:20 PM
i agree

btw how is Raconteurs pronounced?
It's French for 'Stroytellers', but I think it's prounounced:
Rack-on-tours.

Bmm386
03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok, we need to get this going again.

What is everybodies 3 favorite garage bands?

slinks
03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Ok, we need to get this going again.

What is everybodies 3 favorite garage bands?

I agree.

1) The Black Keys
2) The White Stripes
3) The Sonics, been really into them lately....

Tenacious_dex
03-08-2006, 02:18 PM
1- White Stripes
2- Hives. They're DVD is great
3- It could be one of many. Including Vines, Von Blondies, Kings of Leon, Soledad Brothers, Greenhornes. But just for the sake of having one I'll go with Soledad Brothers.

Oh, and Raconteurs album is released on May 15th/ 16th depending with which record company you by it from. (Weird huh?)

slinks
03-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or like The Turpentine Brothers? They're kind of a blues/garage rock band in the vain of the Black Keys and Soledad Brothers that I discovered a while back and just recently rediscovered. I've come to like them all over again.

Free Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/turpentinebrothers/3600-8588_32-100626320.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

Edit: Oh, and when is the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album coming out?

IRA4ever
03-08-2006, 04:07 PM
mines are the hives,the von bondies and the vines

every garage band should have a "the"

Bmm386
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey, i've been wondeing this.

exactkly how many side projects is Jack White having/had. i heard he did an album with loretta lynn.

FrenchyFungus
03-08-2006, 05:42 PM
^he produced it, but only played on one song I think, maybe more.

Tenacious_dex
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey, i've been wondeing this.

exactkly how many side projects is Jack White having/had. i heard he did an album with loretta lynn.
Well, he used to be in a band a long time ago called Two Star Tabernacle, (sp?), but I don't think they got far. Also I think he's been in a couple of other bands too. He did a few songs for the Cold Mountain soundtrack. He produced Loretta Lynn's latest album and appears on a couple of tracks. He has featured on some Soledad Brothers songs. Is in the Raconteurs. And has his own record company and produces about 3 bands on it (Including the White Stripes). That's all I can think of. At the moment.

Has anyone ever heard of or like The Turpentine Brothers? They're kind of a blues/garage rock band in the vain of the Black Keys and Soledad Brothers that I discovered a while back and just recently rediscovered. I've come to like them all over again.

Free Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/turpentinebrothers/3600-8588_32-100626320.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

Edit: Oh, and when is the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album coming out?
Wow! Those songs are good. I love bluesy rock bands. Thanks. :)
And as for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album... soon. (I sure hope).

FrenchyFungus
03-10-2006, 03:20 PM
He used to play drums in a country band called "goober and the peas"

Bmm386
03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
The Turpentine Brothers are really cool, a little blues for my tastes, but i'm loving the singers' voice.

Would the Pixies be considered garage rock?

slinks
03-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Nah, I think the Pixies are more just alternative. Phenomenal band though.

Tenacious_dex
03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
He used to play drums in a country band called "goober and the peas"
Ah yes. I heard about that a while ago, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I'd love to hear something by them. :p:

Yep, Pixies are alternative I think. They're alright though.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs album comes out on March 28th I do believe.

Rhinosaur Bones
03-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Frank Black definitly has a garage rock, do-it-yourself attitude towards music.

FrenchyFungus
03-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I' have a Goober and the Peas song, PM me if you want it.

Bmm386
03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Why don't you use Megaupload and give us all a link to download it?

Tenacious_dex
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I've got the Goober and the Peas song now. It's actually pretty good. It sounds weird though, but quite original. I wonder whythey didn't continue their work.

Bmm386
03-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Probably cause Jack White wanted to do something more mainstream.

FrenchyFungus
03-13-2006, 05:34 AM
They just wouldn't of been successful at all.

Rhinosaur Bones
03-13-2006, 06:55 AM
^ Not everyone craves success.

FrenchyFungus
03-13-2006, 08:45 AM
True, but they wouldn't have been able to continue if they didn't make money/get a record deal.

Bmm386
03-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah. Jack white probably wanted some recognition but to still be original

thus, we have the White Stripes.

Tenacious_dex
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah. Jack white probably wanted some recognition but to still be original

thus, we have the White Stripes.
And may i add, the greatest band in the world. :p:
I bet they probably just split up because they weren't getting anywhere with their music.

FrenchyFungus
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Or their singer turned out to be a complete dickhead...or the bassist...or they simply couldn't be assed....or one of them had to move away...or the guitarist stole the singer's girlfriend...or the other 3 were abducted by aliens...

Bmm386
03-13-2006, 03:27 PM
I vote the alien abduction theroy.

FrenchyFungus
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm sorta glad they broke up.

Tenacious_dex
03-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Or their singer turned out to be a complete dickhead...or the bassist...or they simply couldn't be assed....or one of them had to move away...or the guitarist stole the singer's girlfriend...or the other 3 were abducted by aliens...
:haha Maybe. But I'l stick with my idea.

I'm glad they broke up too, otherwise there would be no White Stripes. Could you imagine that? *Shivers*

So, has anyone recently found any new garage rock bands/ artists? Would Billy Childish count? If so, I've not heard much, besides a couple of duets with Holly Golightly. They were quite good songs though.

Bmm386
03-13-2006, 11:17 PM
^^ nah.

I havent had a good search in a while, i've been too addicted to the Strokes. Is this it? Is really an amazing album. If anyone does not have it give me a PM and i'll get it to you.

FrenchyFungus
03-15-2006, 05:30 AM
there would be no White Stripes. Could you imagine that? *Shivers*

Don't say things like that....

slinks
03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
So, has anyone recently found any new garage rock bands/ artists?

I've been liking The Joggers a bit lately.

Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/joggers/3600-8592_32-100400463.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

Also, Rosetta West:

More Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/rosettawest/3600-8737_32-100626356.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

And Dr. Dog:

Even More Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/drdog/3600-8737_32-100644531.html?tag=MDL_artist_edsug_artist)

Bmm386
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
The Joggers are rather cool.

Tenacious_dex
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I've been liking The Joggers a bit lately.

Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/joggers/3600-8592_32-100400463.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

Also, Rosetta West:

More Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/joggers/3600-8592_32-100400463.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

And Dr. Dog:

Even More Songs/Downloads (http://music.download.com/drdog/3600-8737_32-100644531.html?tag=MDL_artist_edsug_artist)
The Joggers and Dr. Dog are pretty good. But the link for Rosetta West is just the same as the Joggers. :p:

What's evryone's thoughts on Ash? We might have discussed them before, but we can discuss them again. Personally, I like them. Some very catchy songs, like Burn Baby Burn. Meltdown is such a great album.

slinks
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
^ Whoops, sorry. Not sure how that happened. It's fixed now. ;)

Bmm386
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I've never listened to ash.

Reccomendations?

FrenchyFungus
03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Everything except nu-clear sounds.

1977, Their 1st album was pretty grungy - similar to Dinosaur Jr.
Meltdown, Their newest album is pretty heavy for a pop/garage/rock band.

Those are the only two I have just now, but The Angels one is supposed to be really good, although inconsistent - it's the one withe shining light and Burn Baby Burn.

My favuritre songs are burn Baby Burn, Clones, Shining Light, Orpheus, Girl from Mars and song 4 on 1977 (can't remember it's name)

slinks
03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
^ Just how similar to Dinosaur Jr. is 1977? Dino is my favorite band so do you think I'd be in love with 1977? To me, that comparison shouldn't be thrown around willy nilly. ;)

FrenchyFungus
03-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, when I 1st heard Dinosaur Jr - Bug, I thought "MY GOD they've ripped off Ash"
Then I used some logic and realised which album was released 1st.

I can send you some songs should you wish.

Bmm386
03-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Ash is alright. I just checked out some of their stuff.

They have a very emo sound though.

EDIT: Actually i retract that. They really know how to change genres. very cool band.

EDIT2: I wouldn't say they are garage rock. I'd actually call it pop punk.

FrenchyFungus
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Pop punk?

:wtf:

which songs have you listened too?
New stuff is most def Modern rock, the old stuff was grungy modern rock, and the stuff in the middle was either ****e or arty sort of pop rock.

Bmm386
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Listen to Burn Baby Burn.

FrenchyFungus
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
^My fave by them. Wouldn personally call it pop punk, but I see where you're coming from.

Check out clones and Girl From Mars if you haven't already.

Bmm386
03-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Now that song is cool. I could only find a crappy version, could you send it to me?

Andrewbiles
03-18-2006, 08:33 AM

I agree, not Garage rock, but they're definately not pop punk either. They were just a Brit pop band with a more alternative edge, then the newer stuff went to crap, I mean, 'Burn baby burn', come on guys, then more recently 'Orpheus'. '1977' and 'Nu-clear sounds' is where its at for Ash material.

Tenacious_dex
03-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Ok, I've been away for a couple of days, so looks like I have some Ash stuff to catch up on.
Ash is alright. I just checked out some of their stuff.

They have a very emo sound though.

EDIT: Actually i retract that. They really know how to change genres. very cool band.

Yeah, I agree, they can sound emo sometimes, but others they are just brit rock. And yes, a very cool band. :p:

I agree, not Garage rock, but they're definately not pop punk either. They were just a Brit pop band with a more alternative edge, then the newer stuff went to crap, I mean, 'Burn baby burn', come on guys, then more recently 'Orpheus'. '1977' and 'Nu-clear sounds' is where its at for Ash material.
I prefer their heavier stuff on Meltdown. I have the Nu-clear sounds album, but there aren't any songs that stand out. Orpheus and Burn baby Burn are great songs! A couple of their best catchiest songs. I've heard 1977, but that's probably their worst album. Too poppy for my liking.
If a garage rock fan was going to buy an album, I'd suggest Meltdown- Clones, Orpheus, Evil eye, and Meltdown, are all brilliant songs.

FrenchyFungus
03-18-2006, 04:13 PM

I had been HEAVILY warned against Nuclear sounds, maybe I will check it out.

Burn Baby Burn is ace, it is very pop though.

Bmm386
03-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Their earlier stuff sounds alot like the lemonheads.

Andrewbiles
03-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I prefer their heavier stuff on Meltdown. I have the Nu-clear sounds album, but there aren't any songs that stand out. Orpheus and Burn baby Burn are great songs! A couple of their best catchiest songs. I've heard 1977, but that's probably their worst album. Too poppy for my liking.
If a garage rock fan was going to buy an album, I'd suggest Meltdown- Clones, Orpheus, Evil eye, and Meltdown, are all brilliant songs.

Yeah, there aren't many standouts on 'nu-clear sounds', but it's a good album overall. Ash were meant as more of a pop act, well, not pop, but more in the vein of bands like Mansun and the Lemonheads.

Bmm386
03-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Ash were meant as more of a pop act, well, not pop, but more in the vein of bands like Mansun and the Lemonheads.

Look at the last post on page 9.

Andrewbiles
03-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Probably saw that and had it stuck in my mind, honestly didn't realise at the time though.

Bmm386
03-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I have a question. I always hear about 60's garage rock, but never anything for the 70s and 80s.

where did garage go then?

Tenacious_dex
03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
^Probably wasn't popular so just faded out for a while, (A while being a couple of decades) and more poppy songs became popular instead, like the Beatles.

slinks
03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I think garage rock kind of morphed into punk during that period, then new wave, no wave, etc. Then it was sort of imbedded into the grunge movement. Nowadays with this so called "garage rock revival" it's just coexisting with all of the genres it inspired. That's kind of the way I see it anyway.

Tenacious_dex
03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
I think garage rock kind of morphed into punk during that period, then new wave, no wave, etc. Then it was sort of imbedded into the grunge movement. Nowadays with this so called "garage rock revival" it's just coexisting with all of the genres it inspired. That's kind of the way I see it anyway.
Ok. Forget my reply. I agree with you. :p:

Bmm386
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
yeah, that makes sense.

slinks
03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Glad to be of service. :cool:

Bmm386
03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
frenchyfungus just sent me a few songs by ash, i've heard Clones before, i had no idea it was them.

Ash is very cool.

Bmm386
03-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Does anyone else find the Hives to be really anoyying?

Tenacious_dex
03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Does anyone else find the Hives to be really anoyying?
:eek: I don't know how you could say such a thing! They're good. The music can be a bit repetative, but they have catchy songs and good lyrics. I got their DVD for christmas, and it's really good- They're a great live band, and have lots of energy, which makes them entertaining.
Favourite songs include Hate to say I told you so (It's impossible to dislike!), Two timing touch and broken bones, Die alright, and Diabolic Scheme. I prefer the later albums to Barely Legal, but they're still all good.

slinks
03-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I actually do find the Hives pretty annoying after a bit of listening. I used to be obsessive over them but that wore thin before very long. Now I can listen to a song or two, then I've gotten enough Hives for the time being. I agree their energy is great, though, and they do have some catchy songs.

Goon
03-25-2006, 08:45 PM
They do get so annoying after a short time. I had all three albums on my ipod dealy and after a few months I reduced it's intake of the Hives to just one song.

That song was Antidote, and what a great song that is!

heroin_to_tell
03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
man, i love "fever to tell" , its classic.........I have checked the new one though but when i got out of jail i saw that there was a video for "gold lion" and its pretty cool and from what i hear the white stripes have a few new videos after doorbell.....i also have to go get that first impressions of earth...does anybody have any comments about the new strokes or the new yyys and which one to grab first?

Bmm386
03-26-2006, 12:09 AM
I want to buy an ash album, suggestions?

FrenchyFungus
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Meltdown is my favourite of the 2 I have (1977)

It's also their heaviest, and 1977 is the better album from a guitar point of view.
The Angels one has some of their finest moments (Burn Baby Burn and Shining Light), but is supposed to get a bit arty at times and is inconsistent.

Tenacious_dex
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, you could by the singles album, Intergalactic Sonic 7s, which has all their 'hits' on before Meltdown, like Burn baby Burn. It also comes with their B sides CD which has some good songs on it. But I prefer Meltdown. It's their heaviest album, and has my favourite songs like Clones, and Meltdown and Orpheus.
I'd go with one of them. Inter Galactic Sonic 7s also has about 40songs on, compared to about 12 for Meltdwon, so it's better value for money, then again Meltdown has the better songs. Decisions, decisions.....

TheMinors009
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
It's good to finally see people actually do like real music, I'm tired of all the emo, screamo, and metal s***. It just makes me sick. Some of my favorite garage rock band are: the vines, the hives, jet, the white stripes, the greenhornes, the sights, the von bondies, the subways, would you count louis xiv as garage rock? because they are awesome.

TheMinors009
03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
from the bands i listed in my post above, what other garage rock bands do u think i would like? please reply

Bmm386
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
You seem to like the standard garage rock, check out the Strokes.

They're (IMO) more talented that most of the other garage bands out, with the exeption of the White Stripes. Give me a PM if you want a song or two to check them out.

TheMinors009
03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
i've listened to the strokes, they are okay, but not that great IMO, any other suggestions?

Bmm386
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I dunno if you'd like Ash, you could try them. If you like the White Stripes then The Raconteurs might be a good choice.

Don't take my word for that, i've never actually listened to them. If you like something more quiet then Cake is a good choice.

slinks
03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I just picked up the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album, Show Your Bones, and I have to say I've really been enjoying it so far. It's quite a bit different than Fever to Tell but it's still very clearly the YYY's I know and love. Has anybody else picked it up yet? Your thoughts?

TheMinors009
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
i don't have it, but i do have louis xiv's "the best little secrets are kept" does anyone have that album, if you do, what are your thoughts on it.

slinks
03-30-2006, 08:04 PM
:haha Way to twist my post around into your own question.

And no I don't have their CD, and I don't plan to get it because I despise Louis XIV with every inch of my soul. ;)

I don't consider them garage rock either.

Bmm386
03-30-2006, 09:05 PM
What are we feeling about the Raconteurs?

I checked their songs out and i'm lovin it like McDonalds. I like them much more than the White Stripes

Rhinosaur Bones
03-31-2006, 02:20 AM
^ Sacrilige! I haven't heard anything other than their two singles, but Steady As She Goes isn't that great. It might warm on me, but definitly not as good as The White Stripes.

FrenchyFungus
03-31-2006, 02:16 PM
^It's catchy, but not as good as Stripes used to be. Better than new Stripes (except Blue Orchid) though.

A bit too indie sounding for me.

Tenacious_dex
03-31-2006, 03:00 PM
I like the Raconteurs. The singles are alright, but i prefer Store Brought Bones to Steady as she goes. I was listening to them on radio one a couple of days ago, and they did a few live tracks. Oh boy, oh boy, it was great! There was one solo and i just thought 'Wow. This is good.' They did Store Brought Bones, but it didnt sound much like the single, which makes me think they'll be excellent live. It's a shame their album only will only have 10 songs on it. I was hoping for a long album.
As good as they are, they're not as good as the White Stripes. The Stripes just have originality and great vibe to them. The Raconteurs aren't as original, or as good, as much I as I like the Stripes, Greenhornes and Brendan Benson, they just can't compare, (even when they're together) to the Stripes.

heroin_to_tell
04-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I just picked up the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album, Show Your Bones, and I have to say I've really been enjoying it so far. It's quite a bit different than Fever to Tell but it's still very clearly the YYY's I know and love. Has anybody else picked it up yet? Your thoughts?

it sounds good so far but it aint f*ckin with fever to tell........some sh*t on there is just too poppy like gold lion

Bmm386
04-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I like the Raconteurs. The singles are alright, but i prefer Store Brought Bones to Steady as she goes. I was listening to them on radio one a couple of days ago, and they did a few live tracks. Oh boy, oh boy, it was great! There was one solo and i just thought 'Wow. This is good.' They did Store Brought Bones, but it didnt sound much like the single, which makes me think they'll be excellent live. It's a shame their album only will only have 10 songs on it. I was hoping for a long album.
As good as they are, they're not as good as the White Stripes. The Stripes just have originality and great vibe to them. The Raconteurs aren't as original, or as good, as much I as I like the Stripes, Greenhornes and Brendan Benson, they just can't compare, (even when they're together) to the Stripes.

OK i just took a listen to Elephant, and i agree.

I didn't appreciate that album when i first got it.

Bmm386
04-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Ok, i'm looking to get some Vines into my collection, any suggestions?

YAY_FOR_PIE
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Highly Evolved definately. It's their best CD in my opinion.

Tenacious_dex
04-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Listen to their version of Paint it Black. I think it's better than the Rolling Stones version.

Bmm386
04-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I can't find it anywhere. Any chance you could send it to me?

YAY_FOR_PIE
04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
They covered Paint it Black? Sounds awesome.

Tenacious_dex
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
They covered Paint it Black? Sounds awesome.
It is. :D
I can't find it anywhere. Any chance you could send it to me?
I'll try e-mailing it you now if i can.

EDIT: Could you PM me your e-mail or something, because i can't get it.

Kartman
04-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I really like Death From Above 1979, they're probably my favorite garage band out there. Diamond Nights are really good, too. You should check them out.

Bmm386
04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok, i just bought White Blood Cells, that album is amazing.

Bmm386
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
OK, i just ordered Rubber Factory by the Black Keys off of Amazon. I read the first page and everyone enjoyed them, so i ordered it.

Is it a good album or did i spend 9$ on crap?

FrenchyFungus
04-15-2006, 09:39 AM
You should get the Stripes 1st album.

Read my review on here.

It's very raw and underproduced, but that's half the reason i love it so much.
You ain't lived till you've heard "when i hear my name" "screwdriver" "one more cup of coffee" ....hell they're ALL amazing.

boredretard
04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
is elephant the 1st one?

mrFood
04-15-2006, 10:19 AM
One thing about garage rock: Everyone says they hate the Whites Stripes, but I think, in reality, they haven't heard enough of their music. You can't judge a band by their hit single---which is, in this case, "Seven Nation Army," most of the time. I hate that song, but I like the White Stripes quite a bit. Same thing with people saying rap sucks, or country sucks, when they haven't even delved enough into the music to find out. You can't do it with a genre, and you can't do it with a band, either.

Rhinosaur Bones
04-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I totally dig The Stripes' first album. It's so brutal sounding.

is elephant the 1st one?

No, their first one is self-titled. Elephant was their fourth LP.

boredretard
04-15-2006, 11:03 AM
^ok .

so which is the best one?

FrenchyFungus
04-15-2006, 11:59 AM
1st equal - Elephant and S/T
3rd White Blood Cells (The album that broke them, and is very sweet)
4th De Stijl (This is their 2nd album, and is different in a good way, loads of bluesy stuff and slide guitar)
5th Get Behind Me Satan (the newest album and it's different in a bad way IMO - not enough guitar and some pretty bad songs.)

Elephant or WBC is best for an introduction though.

My favourite songs from each album

S/T - When i hear my name, Screwdriver, One more cup of coffee.

De Stijl - Death Letter, You're Pretty Good Lookin, Truth Doesn't Make a Noise (the most beautiful song ever?) and Hello Operator

WBC - Dead leaves...., Fell in love...., Hotel Yorba, I think I smell a rat.

Elephant - Seven Nation Army, Black Math, Hypnotize, Girl you have no faith in medicine.

GBMS - Blue Orchid, Instinct Blues, Red Rain, Take Take Take (These are all very good, but most of the other songs on here are ****)

Also, check out the DVD, it has a very nice selection from the 1st four albums, and will prove to ANYONE that Jack is one of the greatest guitarists and frontmen ever (I'm in love with that version of Death Letter)

slinks
04-15-2006, 12:09 PM
OK, i just ordered Rubber Factory by the Black Keys off of Amazon. I read the first page and everyone enjoyed them, so i ordered it.

Is it a good album or did i spend 9$ on crap?

It's incredibly good if you like the bluesier side of garage rock (which I do). Great album, great band.

sponj
04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, I don't never ever came to this forum but I like garage rock a lot. I though I'd drop some local garage rock bands

The Vicious Five (http://www.myspace.com/theviciousfive) , great band, saw them live. Raw stuff. Very Very good, vocals that remind ATDI and some heavier Hives guitars.

Green Machine (http://www.myspace.com/greenmachinesucks) great band, don't know them that well but they're pretty good! Lot's of blues influences.

Bmm386
04-16-2006, 12:39 AM
It's incredibly good if you like the bluesier side of garage rock (which I do). Great album, great band.

Awesome. I've been getting into blues a lot latley.

Tenacious_dex
04-16-2006, 04:28 PM
1st equal - Elephant and S/T
3rd White Blood Cells (The album that broke them, and is very sweet)
4th De Stijl (This is their 2nd album, and is different in a good way, loads of bluesy stuff and slide guitar)
5th Get Behind Me Satan (the newest album and it's different in a bad way IMO - not enough guitar and some pretty bad songs.)

Also, check out the DVD, it has a very nice selection from the 1st four albums, and will prove to ANYONE that Jack is one of the greatest guitarists and frontmen ever (I'm in love with that version of Death Letter)
I love the version of Death Letter too. The way he just improvises and POW! into the song, it sends shivers down my spine. I have the version he did at Glastonbury and that's excellent too. He is a good guitarist, and alot of people underate him, but when he's live he just shine's through as an excellent guitarist, with lots of energy.

My least favourite album is probably WBC. I'm no sure why, I just can't get into it unlike the others. De Stijl is probably my favourite, as I like that raw bluesy sound, and Death Letter and Your southern can is mine are good covers. All the other songs are good too, which a mixture of slower and more upbeat songs, but all with a bluesy kind of feel.

FrenchyFungus
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM
The songs on WBC could probably do with being longer, and having less of them.

But then again, it worked with S/T.

What do you think of GBMS?

Tenacious_dex
04-16-2006, 05:17 PM
The songs on WBC could probably do with being longer, and having less of them.

But then again, it worked with S/T.

What do you think of GBMS?
I actually think it's good. It's good that they can vary the type of music. I didn't like it the first couple of times I heard it, but it grew on me. The denial Twist is probably my favourite song off there at the moment, as it's just so catchy. I think it's an album that you either love or hate. My brother, for example, dislikes most of the other White Stripes songs, but he actualy likes most of GBMS. I prefer the guitar stuff, and blues stuff, (Ball and biscuit especially), but it makes a change. I hope they go back to their older albums style for their next one though.

FrenchyFungus
04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
It did grow on me too, but then it ungrew.

Man, if they go back to a S/T kinda sound I will cream.

I'd like to hear that style with better production, even though the lack of production is what makes the album so cool.

Tenacious_dex
04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
It did grow on me too, but then it ungrew.

Man, if they go back to a S/T kinda sound I will cream.

I'd like to hear that style with better production, even though the lack of production is what makes the album so cool.
Some songs ungrew on me, like Instinct Blues (Even thought it's fun to play on guitar) and Take, take, take, but most of them I still like alot.
I'd love to hear them so another s/t like album. I'd also think it would be cool if they did a whole album, or EP even, of just blues covers. But don't include any that they've already covered like Death Letter.

FrenchyFungus
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
:haha, those are just about my favourite songs on there.

THAT would be cool.

Bmm386
04-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I only have Elephant and WBC. WBC is meh, but Elephant is an amazing album.

Unrelated: would Franz Ferdinand be garage rock?

FrenchyFungus
04-16-2006, 07:36 PM
NO, they're not good enough. and too poppy, and indie.

Goon
04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Eagles of Death Metal have a new album out, I shall have to get it.
Is there anything Josh Homme can't do and do well?!

FrenchyFungus
04-16-2006, 09:04 PM
*insert 'your mom' joke here*

sponj
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
wow ._.

slinks
04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Eagles of Death Metal have a new album out, I shall have to get it.

I got it today as an Easter gift. 'Tis pretty good.

Bmm386
04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Nice. I might see them live in a few weeks.

(crap, frenchy is banned)

Bmm386
04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Rubber Factory is a fantastic album.

i reccommend(sp?) it.

slinks
04-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Rubber Factory is a fantastic album.

Do I know what I'm talking about or what? :p:

Bmm386
04-19-2006, 07:19 AM
I got it at the perfect time, i'm just now getting into blues rock.

FrenchyFungus
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Hehe, I was only banned for a day, I asked them to do it cos I had a biology investigation to do.

sponj
04-19-2006, 06:29 PM
you hate me. right?

FrenchyFungus
04-19-2006, 07:25 PM
What on earth makes you say that? (are you talkin to me?)
I laughed REAL hard when i read your comment up there by the way, thanks.

I've actually noticed you around a lot lately, and thanks for critting my song.

So, would a 'better' drummer improve the white stripes?

Bmm386
04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't think so. I like minimalist drumming, it's just so catchy.