Cursive

PDA

View Full Version : Cursive

i_strum_i_drum
11-06-2005, 09:54 PM
i noticed there was no thread for these guys. personally i find them to be pretty incredible. Domestica and The Ugly Organ are in my player constantly.

i was told by my friend that the cellist left, and i would like to know if any of you know anymore than i do about this (i.e. if this is true or false, et cetera)

Oneofmanyfallen
11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Sigh, sadly it is true.

P.S. Alt/Indie forum

stratstrummer40
11-06-2005, 11:01 PM
I find them extremely boring.

not my cup o' tea.

another_vandal
11-06-2005, 11:14 PM
its a shame she left. she added such a dynamic to that band. ugly organ was such an improvement to domestica.

dougiecrystals
11-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah, it's true.

Apparently Gretta is gonna go do some solo stuff or crap.

Whatev, the way I see it, Cursive was an awesome band even before her.

Sure, they made the incredible Burst and Bloom and the Ugly Organ with her, but..just the other day I spent all day listening to their "Storms of Early Summer:.." album and it's great.
Then yesterday I spent all day listening to their stuff from their split with Silver Scooter..

So yeah, it sucks Gretta left, but even without her, they were and still are a really great band.

Now if only they could come to Texas and do one of their $2 shows they've been doing.....

jallas
11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
The Ugly Organ is such a fantastic album, I love it to bits. I have Burst And Bloom as well but it's not as directly appealing IMO as TUO. But yeah, aweosme band :D

EmO_RuleZ!!
11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I only have The Ugly Organ, so I have no comparison.
Maybe if someone would be willing to send me Domestica, then I could compare.

i_strum_i_drum
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
i was not sure where to place them, but seeing as they were on the Almighty list of emo bands i did not want to mess with that. i prefer to see them in here anyway.

the ugly organ has to be one of my favorite albums.
tim can take any formation of words and make it sound just so emotional, its almost absurd.

YAY_FOR_PIE
11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I really can't get into them. Not my style.

Testify1
11-07-2005, 09:59 PM
They're likable.

pumpkins_rule
11-07-2005, 10:03 PM
They're often mislabeled emo, and Kasher's singing can get a little emo-ish, but in general they're a little too good (innovative even, as I haven't ever heard a combination of strings and heavy guitars like those combined on The Ugly Organ) to be lumped in with crap like Dashboard Confessional and Fall-Out Boy.

dougiecrystals
11-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Meh, I'd say their emo..

I mean, Such Blinding Stars and Domestica are pretty emo in my opinion.

I don't know, really, I don't know what's "emo" anymore.

When I think of emo, I think of the song "After the Movies"- Cursive

Awesome song btw.

And that's totally separate from the "pop-emo" I guess, such as Fall out boy, and dashboard, and the likes.

Fuck, too many genres, Cursive for me is simply great music. All that matters really..

EmoBastard
11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
These guys are great. I love how they utilize the chello in their songs. The Ugly Organ is their best album.

Knife2aGunFight
02-07-2006, 04:56 PM
A cello player going off to do solo work, wtf kind of solo work does a solo cellist get for God sake. Why Gretta Why. Burst and Bloom Ep is pure awesome, as well as The Ugly Organ. On some random notes on this band: Hey is that brass instrument I hear in Nonsense, me love that song "One foot in your mouth the other one's in your grave". Mr Kasher can write he can. Who's heard Sinner's Serenade? And on their future I think you can listen to 10 percent to the 10 percent, which was recorded for Kartrina effort. Sounds like their reverting to their past. Don't know if I like that. They should just replace the cello with some new guitar sounds but domestica was good. I guess we'll see in time.

sydbarrettsaves
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
they're definately not emo.

Knife2aGunFight
02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
They're often mislabeled emo, and Kasher's singing can get a little emo-ish, but in general they're a little too good (innovative even, as I haven't ever heard a combination of strings and heavy guitars like those combined on The Ugly Organ) to be lumped in with crap like Dashboard Confessional and Fall-Out Boy.
You know there is alot of people that would resent that.....emo=sucky just because Dashboard has emotional lyrics shouldn't make them emo. Emo has become more broad over the years. The old Cursive is most definately Emo without a doubt, just take it from them "they gotta D.C. sound / Shudder To Think, Fugazi / and Chapel Hill / around the early '90s / this is the latest from Saddle Creek" -Sink To the Beat. Emo was largely identified with bands such as these at it's roots before people, technically, started mislabeling things emo like they are with FOB. You should be proud Cursive has true Emo at its roots. The Ugly Organ however is more Alt/indie. I don't know seems emo = scene to most people nowadays. Cursive used to be emo end of story, Kasher is still emotional, but the music itself is more Alt/indie. Emo bands can be innovative too.

emoISaDEADgenre
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
^i can see where your coming from, but i think if they were emo, they arent anymore...they definiantly went in a more alt rock direction. which is fine, i love cursive.

its seems like there was another cursive thread not to long ago...

sr.rockalot
02-11-2006, 01:53 PM
i think that they are awesome. i like it the way they make it so unique.

Evan_lesPaul
02-11-2006, 06:07 PM
emo is the worst word i can think of. not because i hate the genre, because its so misleading. genres are destroying music.

eth0real
02-20-2006, 01:01 AM
i love cursive,
'storms of early summer' is probably my favorite ablum of theirs

Paint
02-20-2006, 12:54 PM
cursive is one of those bands that got progressively BETTER with every cd. their first stuff back in the mid-90s was aweful...like...bad. but they got better each time. burst and blood, domestica, art is hard, the ugly organ...progressively better and more creative.

thats what i think.

they are good.

Knife2aGunFight
02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Aparently they did some live shows without Gretta and the cello last September, and they continued to do songs such as Driftwood, and basically anything from Burst and Bloom, 8 Teeth To Eat You, and The Ugly Organ. Does anyone have this recorded in any way or were at said concerts because I would be interested in how exactly they pull this off. It is my opinion that they can't, or the song would be at a great loss. Maybe with some realy fancy guitar work/effects?

dougiecrystals
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Aparently they did some live shows without Gretta and the cello last September, and they continued to do songs such as Driftwood, and basically anything from Burst and Bloom, 8 Teeth To Eat You, and The Ugly Organ. Does anyone have this recorded in any way or were at said concerts because I would be interested in how exactly they pull this off. It is my opinion that they can't, or the song would be at a great loss. Maybe with some realy fancy guitar work/effects?

Yeah, I've been meaning to hear this stuff as well.

Knife2aGunFight
02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Yea so a friend of mine listened to Art Is Hard, and that's it, and now he's all like "Cursive Sucks", and I'm all like "Nuh Uh!" and he's like "Yuh Huh!" and I'm like "You Run like a dinosaur!" which is true but beside the point.
But the point is what song should I have him listen to out of all the Cursive stuff to make him like "Cursive is teh best!"? He likes Co&Ca alot, and some other stuff. I can no longer live with this injustice.

Dance-Macabre
03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
I love Cursive, but when I saw them last year Gretta wasn't with them. Still a good show, but she does add a lot.

Monkeygone2hvn
03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
i like cursive a lot i love the ugly organ it is a amzingly good cd

seanarooni
03-14-2006, 08:04 AM
You know there is alot of people that would resent that.....emo=sucky just because Dashboard has emotional lyrics shouldn't make them emo. Emo has become more broad over the years. The old Cursive is most definately Emo without a doubt, just take it from them "they gotta D.C. sound / Shudder To Think, Fugazi / and Chapel Hill / around the early '90s / this is the latest from Saddle Creek" -Sink To the Beat. Emo was largely identified with bands such as these at it's roots before people, technically, started mislabeling things emo like they are with FOB. You should be proud Cursive has true Emo at its roots. The Ugly Organ however is more Alt/indie. I don't know seems emo = scene to most people nowadays. Cursive used to be emo end of story, Kasher is still emotional, but the music itself is more Alt/indie. Emo bands can be innovative too.

true dat,

emo is pretty much completely gone bands like fall out boy are "emo-core," which is the gayest thing ever. their are very few classic emo bands left, like the appleseed cast (check them out).

Dance-Macabre
03-15-2006, 02:17 AM
If anything Kasher's other band the Good Life would be a little more emo. I hate using that word but it really is broad. I think you can see Kasher's more emo roots in this band, like him talking about girlfriends etc. But still it is more alt/indie. It's not like hardcore like awful bands like My Chemical Romance and stuff, it's much more soft and mellow. But in both bands Kasher doesn't whine and talk about cutting himself like people make emo out to be. The lyrics are much better than that, a lot better. The same with Bright Eyes who's lyrics are like 10x better. I think at least.
And another thing is good music is supposed to be EMOtional. Take more recent alternative icons, Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder. They were totally emotional, they had emotional lyrics, a lot of great song writers do but they are not labeled EMO. I think people find the need to label everything and emo is a pretty big word these days I hear it misused so many times. So all I am saying is Tim Kasher and Conor Oberst are very emotional song writers but that doesn't make them the same as Fall Out Boy and that crap. I think a lot of you could agree.

i_strum_i_drum
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
true dat,

emo is pretty much completely gone bands like fall out boy are "emo-core," which is the gayest thing ever. their are very few classic emo bands left, like the appleseed cast (check them out).
the appleseed cast aren't emo.
not at all.
not even remotely.
it hurt to read that.

(and it's only one more letter to write "that" than "dat")

Paint
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Yea so a friend of mine listened to Art Is Hard, and that's it, and now he's all like "Cursive Sucks", and I'm all like "Nuh Uh!" and he's like "Yuh Huh!" and I'm like "You Run like a dinosaur!" which is true but beside the point.
But the point is what song should I have him listen to out of all the Cursive stuff to make him like "Cursive is teh best!"? He likes Co&Ca alot, and some other stuff. I can no longer live with this injustice.

have him listen to The Martyr on Domestica.

Ababil_Albarn
03-16-2006, 12:29 AM
The Good Life...better than Cursive...i think....

ohdarn323
03-16-2006, 02:32 PM
They're fun to listen to, but I have to be in the mood.

jallas
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I agree. Lately I can't get enough of the Good Life :D

EmO_RuleZ!!
03-16-2006, 03:15 PM
there is one thing you can't get from the good life that you can from cursive and that is the factor of the ugly girl aka gretta.

too bad she quit.

Paint
03-17-2006, 10:36 AM
There is no way the good life is better than cursive. it doesnt have the same energy and feeling. its good, no doubt but the lyrics are too sad and depressing. and all the songs have the same feel on album of the year.

Unseen_hero
03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
if you dig the cello work and/or mathy more complex kind of guitar rock, heck out the band utah! I know they have cd's on amazon but they are a bit hard to find through the search. There's a great song on epitonic by them. check it out.

Knife2aGunFight
06-10-2006, 09:21 PM
3.Big Bang
Before we ever saw string / we were grasping at straws/a debate was born / pickett lines were drawn / there was this Big Bang once / now were learning how to use our thumbs / we need a purpose in life / a survival guide / we need explanations / for how we arrived / there was this big bang once / now were standing on our own two feet / there was this big bang once / now were sharpening up our teeth / They say there was this Big Bang once / but the clergy man doesn't agree / there was this Big Bang once/ but it doesn't pass with Adam & Eve's / original sin / in that beautiful garden / some talking Snake giving apples away / what would that snake say/if he could only see us TODAY?/HUH?! HUH?! HUH!!!/ There was this Big Bang once / we were left here to fill in the blanks.........

YoungPilgrim
06-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Gretta quit and moved back to New York to pursue a classical career. I saw Cursive in November (minus Gretta). It was a pretty good show. They played some stuff from The Ugly Organ but a good portion of the show was devoted to Cindy Lauper covers.

slinks
06-10-2006, 11:03 PM
...a good portion of the show was devoted to Cindy Lauper covers.

What the hell? Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just kind of hope they don't do that when I see them in July. :confused:

YoungPilgrim
06-11-2006, 12:51 AM
What the hell? Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just kind of hope they don't do that when I see them in July. :confused:

It was actually pretty awesome. Speaking of, I'm seeing them again in July. :D

MattDaviesFFAF
06-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Anyone heard the leak of the new album?

It's smart, and catastrophic (like most of their stuff... ie. in a good way) but it lacks the old Cursive feel... they've replaced Gretta with a trumpet for a good few songs...

But it has lost that charm that made Cursive so crazily accessible.

Anyway

Knife2aGunFight
06-11-2006, 08:24 AM
It's true they are not as accessible, but they are even better then before. They did not nessesarily replace Gretta with the full Brass band, it is not nearly as shallow as that. However without the strings it does lack the sort of beautiful quiet stuff they had like the end of Gentleman Caller or Staying Alive. It is alot harder and more abrasive, which fits the fact that they basically bash the Church the entire time.

This is the best album to come out this year so far

MattDaviesFFAF
06-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Well, yeah, it's great, anything with tim Kasher is but it's just not as good as older Cursive.

And yep. they do seem to bash the church quite a bit.

And village life, I think...

Sounds like a bit of a concept album.

Knife2aGunFight
06-11-2006, 08:55 AM
I think it is a beautiful fusion of the older than Ugly Organ feel, and the unique instuments of the Ugly Organ. You can't really get board with it, it is just so different even within the album itself

MattDaviesFFAF
06-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, hopefuly this will grow on me in a big way...

When I first heard Cursive I thought they were kind of boring and ick but I listened to them again a few months later and it was love.

So yeah, hopefully.

Knife2aGunFight
06-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Big Bang is like the greatest song I've heard in a while.

s0nofabe4ch
06-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I haven't heard any of their songs after Gretta left, are they worth a listen?

Knife2aGunFight
06-11-2006, 11:51 AM
yes, definately.

dougiecrystals
06-11-2006, 06:32 PM
I've only listened to the first three songs of the album.

I kinda don't want to listen to it fully until I get home from my vacation considering the only time I can listen to it is when I'm at my cousins' place.

pixiesfanyo
06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I like Tim when he signs out of key.

:(.

It's a good album. It'll probably be in my top ten, but it's nowhere near the front.

Caz87
06-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Cursive are my favourite band, although i had to get domestica and storms of early summer imported over here because i couldn't find it anywhere. But i like domestica heaps better than the ugly organ, although Gretta does bring an extra element to the record i just didn't connect with it as well. However, i think art is hard is probably my favourite song by them, i still like domestica as whole better.

Anyway, as if you guys care... I'm so bored.

dougiecrystals
07-22-2006, 11:05 AM
So does anyone else think the songs off Happy Hallow sound too much alike?

Eitherway, it's a good album. Not really so catchy or anything, but it has its moments.

tpen892004
07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
i wish i could get into this band

Indie>Popular
07-22-2006, 06:48 PM
My favorite band ever

Happy Hollow is a pretty good album. "Bad Sects" is a sweet song kinda like "The Recluse"

R0CKER1220
07-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I made a thread on Cursive ages ago. . .

Anyway, I like them. I think they're a lot different from most of the bands out there nowadays, it's not too often you hear a cello on the radio. It's a shame the Gretta left though. All I've heard from them is The Ugly Organ and some random songs I downloaded a while ago, all of the songs are great.

honkey
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I can't even get into happy hollow. It just sounds like some horrible love-child of tim kasher and a french horn. They should have just done away with the horn section. I find it way too...out-of-place to even be good. Seriously, it would be like bright eyes having a shred solo. I've tried to listen to it , but I end up going back to TUO.

Knife2aGunFight
07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I love the horns, they do sounds kinda funny live though. But on the album, they are so cool.

uhh_me?
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
From the one Happy Hollow song I've heard I think the horns fit in rather well. They sort of mimic the punchyness of Tim's guitar and vocals.

But, overall great band. So is The Good Life.

Knife2aGunFight
07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I have to say the one song where the horn section takes a leave, Into The Fold, is so so so good, although it does have an accordian and some flutes.

Monkeygone2hvn
07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
when does the new album come out?

YoungPilgrim
07-25-2006, 03:55 AM
when does the new album come out?

August 22nd.

I listened to a promo copy of the new album at work and saw them live last week. I like Happy Hollow but Domestica is still my favorite Cursive album. I'm more of a Good Life fan anyway.

frd_marshll
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
does anybody else think the intro to rise up rise up sounds alot like dance dance

Unseen_hero
08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I saw them with Make Believe and La Salle a few weeks ago.

I was much more into Make Believe (New Joan of Arcish project.. more rock band oriented).

I have not liked any of the new curisve songs, but they sounded better live. They added horns to some old tunes which was cool. They didn't play the great decay...

slinks
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I saw them with Make Believe and La Salle a few weeks ago.

I was much more into Make Believe (New Joan of Arcish project.. more rock band oriented).

I have not liked any of the new curisve songs, but they sounded better live. They added horns to some old tunes which was cool. They didn't play the great decay...

So did I! Saw them on July 8th or somewhere around there. I agree on enjoying Make Believe much more than Cursive. Tim Kinsella ripped off a kid's shirt that was standing in the front row. :haha

LaSalle were good as well. They're a local band for me, made up of former members of Small Brown Bike.

Cursive played "The Great Decay" when I saw them, though. :confused:

tpen892004
08-11-2006, 06:14 PM
the ugly organ is a f.ucking master piece, im in love with it

cant wait to hear happy hollow

dead_kennedy
08-12-2006, 06:10 AM
cursive is just brilliant. end of.

tpen892004
08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
^true fact

just got happy hollows

DirgeForTheSun
08-12-2006, 02:56 PM
saw them at lollapalooza last weekend

happy hollows is good, but naturally, i have to be obsessed with the ugly organ

i'm happy because they had a touring cellist. it wasn't greta, but they had one, so i was happy

s0nofabe4ch
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I really hope I can find someone to go to happy hollows with me. I dont wanna go alone and I don't wanna miss it either.

edit: the tour I mean

dougiecrystals
08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
^Yeah seriously.

Everyone here is so lame.

I can to shows, as long as I have someone to go with.
The problem is no one ever wants to go.

And I'm fine with going alone, I mean, I usually lie to my parents that I'm going with someone (lame), but whatever, at least I get to see badass bands.

This time around, the shows are gonna be kinda far away, so I can't really lie myself out of this one.

:(

Honestly, what's with the kids these days?

Caz87
09-21-2006, 03:21 AM
So can anyone actually tell me what happy hollow is like? because i love domestica and the storms of early summer, but didn't really like the ugly organ for some reason... although art is hard is my favourite song by them... i'm weird i know.

So after being very long-winded... is the new record like any of their old ones or is it a new direction? I'm currently a VERY poor uni student without a job and my cd purchases have to be well thought out.

uhh_me?
09-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Happy Hollow concentrates more on songwriting, not quite as loud and emotional.....but it's good nonetheless. Although, I might not pay full price for it. If you can get it cheaper then go for it.

thepickups
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Bad Sects is about Cawner.

trev_smith12
09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty dissapointed in Happy Hollow. Anyone know when the next Good Life album's coming out?

abuseillusions
09-22-2006, 03:46 AM
I really liked what I heard of happy hollow. It's alot diffrent then most of there music. I think it's really the inculsion of the brass section. And there first album was pretty emo. "such blinding stars for such starving eyes" just the name sounds emo.

iamjosh
09-23-2006, 02:32 PM
cursive more or less owns, despite happy hollow.

i saw them this summer in concert. at one point tim forgot the words to one of his songs and had to be reminded by an audience member. months later, i was to run into this audience member. we talked for awhile, and he showed me the picture on his cameraphone of tim embracing the hobo he bought a 40 for after the show. what a guy.

Shine On...
09-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I find them extremely boring.

not my cup o' tea.

Does anyone else find it ironic that this guys avatar is of Godspeed You! Black Emperor? :)

Evan_lesPaul
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Does anyone else find it ironic that this guys avatar is of Godspeed You! Black Emperor? :)

haha, i agree.

i <3 godspeed

anyways, on the subject, Happy Hollow took a few days too adjust, but now im obsessed with it. it is a really good album. i love how they continue the tradition of 'story' albums, and the message from this one. its a small god-fearing, religiously corrupt town, and the stories from its history. cursives albums arent collections of songs, they are true masterpeices. i think of them as paintings.

im seeing them in seattle, oct. 20th...... and i live on vancouver island haha! :D

pumpkins_rule
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM

No. Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the soundtrack to the apocalypse. I'm pretty certain the apocalypse won't be boring.

whyvern
09-26-2006, 12:02 AM

I was just about to say that.

Shine On...
09-27-2006, 09:40 PM
No. Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the soundtrack to the apocalypse. I'm pretty certain the apocalypse won't be boring.

Bah, rubbish, I love Godspeed! but you have to admit, even though there is usually tons of things happening in Godspeed's music, to the untrained ear, Cursive's upbeat tempo and poppy style (in their latest) would definitely be the less 'boring band' in comparison.

pumpkins_rule
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Bah, rubbish, I love Godspeed! but you have to admit, even though there is usually tons of things happening in Godspeed's music, to the untrained ear, Cursive's upbeat tempo and poppy style (in their latest) would definitely be the less 'boring band' in comparison.

I suppose.

mrFood
09-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Eh, they sound like one of those noisy hardcore bands to me, nothing special so far.

I've only listened to one song though, so, yeah.

I may be talking about the wrong band.

Shine On...
09-27-2006, 10:18 PM
I suppose.

Suppose? Oh Noes! you agree! I wasn't expecting that at all.

I love Cursive, but today I heard 'Sucker and Dry' from 'The Difference Between..."
and it sounds like a totally different person. I was gonna order all of their old CD's from a Saddle Creek brochure, but if they alll sound like that I might have to reconsider.

Paris_In_Flames
09-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Such Blinding stars is a very VERY good cd. Its up there with Domestica and Burst and Bloom.

Shine On...
10-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Today my friend compared Cursive with Blue October. :( I mean how wrong can you get?

sydbarrettsaves
10-02-2006, 11:32 PM
frd_marshall if you're out there what are you doing on october 20th

uhh_me?
10-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Today my friend compared Cursive with Blue October. :( I mean how wrong can you get?
Your friend is going to burn in music hell for that

Evan_lesPaul
10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
im going to the oct 20th show

frd_marshll
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM

i am going to cursive i already got my tickets

Shine On...
10-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Your friend is going to burn in music hell for that

I know, I'm considering pushing her down a ruddy hill filled with old tires and discarded lovers for that.

sydbarrettsaves
10-04-2006, 12:32 AM
well you will see me and mymetalheart there, and if you see any undies thrown up on the stage during hutch harris' preformance, they're probably mine.

welton
10-21-2006, 12:35 PM
I used to be really into them, but after a while I kind of just lost interest.

frd_marshll
10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
cursive was amazing last night i was right in front

they played new songs old ones and inbetween the

tim was pretty drunk and had a cold but i don't think it matter because he was still amazing

and no matter how lound the crowd got you could always here tim over us

uhh_me?
10-22-2006, 12:29 AM
So umm, you know what would be cool...if we could write in cursive about Cursive...yeah. Oh and I have decided that even though before I wasn't entirely feeling Happy Hollow I like it now much more.

sydbarrettsaves
10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
cursive was good on friday. i was right in front too. i think we were the only two people in the entire venue who actually liked the thermals. that was weird when hutch stopped to talk to those people that were fighting in the middle of the set.

Evan_lesPaul
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
^ really? i was there, and it seemed like alot of people went there for the thermals. i heard people talking about how they are there for them.

i came all the way from vancouver island for this show. It was well worth it for sure, but i kind of hoped i would be able to meet the band, but whatever i cant always meet them. chin up chin up was really good. the thermals were sweet, but alot of their songs kindof sounded the same. all this week ive had thermals songs stuck in my head. cursive was amazing, but i can honestly say their set was a little bit dissapointed. no songs from burst and bloom, very little from domestica. but still, it was great to finally see my favorite band.

tpen892004
12-21-2006, 09:41 PM
happy hollow is soo good

Cory Smash
06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I just bought Domestica and I love it immensely. His voice is so awesome.

Artisan Mimicry
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Am I Not Yours is my favorite by them, great band.

NGD1313
06-05-2007, 12:47 AM
So this is where the Cursive thread has been hiding.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to say that The Ugly Organ is probably my favorite album. I like to just lay down, put in my headphones and listen to it all the way through, I'm in a completely different place by the time "Staying Alive" is over. Fantastic stuff.

Paris_In_Flames
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Ceilings Crack is amazing.

Blue Motion
06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
i keep seeing people say how much they love the ugly organ, but i bought it and it's really just nothing special. i guess i might just get irritated by the very rare occurance of any kind of pleasing harmony. i thought the song that was like: "i wake alone, in a woman's room i hardly know." was decent, but not worth the $14 dollars i spent on the cd.

i'm really not trying to trash the band that you all clearly love, but i'm wondering if anyone could explain to me what's so great about this album. cuz i've heard great things about it from people whose musical opinions i respect, but i just don't hear anything but a tonedef bright eyes.

NGD1313
06-06-2007, 12:28 AM
i keep seeing people say how much they love the ugly organ, but i bought it and it's really just nothing special. i guess i might just get irritated by the very rare occurance of any kind of pleasing harmony. i thought the song that was like: "i wake alone, in a woman's room i hardly know." was decent, but not worth the $14 dollars i spent on the cd.

i'm really not trying to trash the band that you all clearly love, but i'm wondering if anyone could explain to me what's so great about this album. cuz i've heard great things about it from people whose musical opinions i respect, but i just don't hear anything but a tonedef bright eyes.

It's very difficult to get into at first I'll agree, but to get any sense of why Cursive is so good you have to listen to the songs the whole way through a few times. I started listening to A Gentleman Caller and I thought is was way too harsh and discordant, but then the second half of the song kicks in with such a beautiful rhythm and contrast from the first half, that it all seemed to fit perfectly. Also, listen to Sierra, it's the most melodically accessible song on the album IMO.

welton
06-06-2007, 06:03 AM
I've recently gotten into Cursive. Burst and Bloom and Domestica are probably my favorites, but I'm not very much a fan of their new album. Not really sure why. I can hear a more experimental influence, but at the same time it sounds more commercial and contrived than their older albums.

Knife2aGunFight
06-06-2007, 08:15 AM
lol @ looking for pleasing melodies on The Ugly Organ.

Paris_In_Flames
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM

In my opinion, the Ugly Organ is the second worst cd by them. I much rather prefer all of their albums prior to that.

Knife2aGunFight
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
what's your worst?
I'm guessing you are leaving differences out of the equation.

I'd say it'd be my opinion that there's no reason to call anything by Cursive ''worst''
but Ugly Organ is pretty much their best close with Domestica and Burst & Bloom.

Cory Smash
06-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I've had Domestica for less than a week and I'm already in love with it.

Paris_In_Flames
06-06-2007, 11:39 PM
what's your worst?
I'm guessing you are leaving differences out of the equation.

I'd say it'd be my opinion that there's no reason to call anything by Cursive ''worst''
but Ugly Organ is pretty much their best close with Domestica and Burst & Bloom.

Well I think Such Blinding Stars, Domestica, and Burst and Bloom are all pretty much equally amazing. I think the Ugly Organ is a pretty good cd but not up to par with the others. And my least favorite would definitely be Happy Hollow.

AWA
06-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I really like them. Tim Kasher's lyrics are boss.

frd_marshll
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
who loves to good life?
i can't wait for the new album and tour

Knife2aGunFight
06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
The Good Life is also wonderful.
but I think we'll be seeing more Cursive material before we see more The Good Life
EDIT
oh yes, new album announced recently. sweet.

frd_marshll
06-10-2007, 06:37 PM
silly you it was anonced like 3 months ago

as any body heard of slowdown the venue saddle creek is opening named after slowdown virgina
there is a rumor flying around that commonder venus is going to play but thats propley bs

Knife2aGunFight
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
haha that would be cool.

I dunno I wasn't looking for new The Good Life
because Tim was interviewed saying that Cursive would be recording a new LP soon.
so w/e
Kasher is Kasher and Kasher is awesome.

Freth
06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
A NEW ALBUM?
when?

'StoleN'
06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Everyone's thoughts on "Mama, I'm Swollen"?