AC/DC vs. Jet

PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC vs. Jet

Angus Malmsteen
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Did anybody ever notice now much of a ripoff Jet is to AC/DC? I mean, I don't want to sit here and bash Jet to death but they deserve this. Notice how both bands are Australian? Notice how both bands use Gibson and Gretsch? Notice how both bands use Marshall amps? Notice how both bands have two brothers? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? (Very many bands use them, but they consistently use them.) This seriously annoys me to death. Even GuitarWorld bashed Jet for copying AC/Dc's sound. Any comments or replies? :mad:

sadistic_monkey
11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
If you've noticed it, then we have too.

Oooooooooooooooooooold.

istandalone
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
very old news, all i have to say is ac/dc is better

young_is_god
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
we all know already. do u have cob webs in ur head cos this is seriously old

Neon Knight
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Did anybody ever notice now much of a ripoff Jet is to AC/DC? I mean, I don't want to sit here and bash Jet to death but they deserve this. Notice how both bands are Australian? Notice how both bands use Gibson and Gretsch? Notice how both bands use Marshall amps? Notice how both bands have two brothers? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? (Very many bands use them, but they consistently use them.) This seriously annoys me to death. Even GuitarWorld bashed Jet for copying AC/Dc's sound. Any comments or replies? :mad:

ok so from what i gather Australian brothers cannot be in a band and use distorted open chords and Gibson and Gretsch guitars through marshall amps or their AC/DC rip-offs :rolleyes:

but yeah they do rip off AC/DC but not in the aforementioned ways.

Randy_Rhoads44
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
dont' forget they rip off the beatles, look at "Look what you've done" it almost sounds like lennon and mccartney wrote it, (except for the fact it sucks)

Butterknife
11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
pff, AC/DC has the most basic sound ever, so who cares? Let the Jet fans have their music

TwistedLogic
11-08-2005, 01:33 PM
My question is why the **** is this band being discussed in the modern rock forum. They obvious borrow, or some would say steal, from classic bands like AC/DC the beatles. They are a basic band with the classic guitar, bass, drum, and singer configuration. The songs they play are reminicent (sp) of the songs that we would have heard in the 1970's, so why are they considered modern, if that is the case. I seems somewhat ill conceived to classify a band based on the time period during which they were performing and writing material.

By the way, I think that the singer for Jet sounds a lot like Bon Scott, whether it is natural or he is trying for that effect is another story.

HendrixEdge
11-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Irt the thread starter Midnight Oil.

las7
11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Yea Jet is a fvcking rip off ...lol and so is any other band on the fvcking earth they all have members who play different instruments ...all bands have someone who sings well most do.. ooohhh what ever Im not qualified I know nothing about Jet ....

alex_haeni
11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Don't forget Jet went and bought all their guitar riffs from Ac/dc at a yard sale.
They went to iggy and the remaining beatles.
THATS why they sound like ac/dc

lorddubton
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah Jet do rip AC/DC off a bit but the casanovas rip 'em sooooo much better! I cant wait to see 'em when they play with da crue and motorhead in melbourne

JkHalen
11-08-2005, 06:38 PM
very very old news...even if they rip off ac/dc i still like 'em a bit.

Bmm386
11-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Even though all those things are commonly used in many bands, this is olldddddd news.

Though im not Jet bashing, i love Jet.

telex289
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
how is jet a rip-off?... is it because they have a SIMILAR SOUND to ac/dc and the beatles? wow who would have ever thought a band that is influenced by bands they like may possibly sound like that? and as for the equiptment? who the **** cares? i bet you hate jet because all you listen to is classic rock all day and disregard any modern music... the truth is, classic rock is over, everyone has been listening to it for decades, and its time to get your head out of your ass and stop thinking classic rock is STILL the greatest thing since sliced bread. dont get me wrong, i love classic rock, but thats not the only type of music i center myself to.

Bmm386
11-08-2005, 08:45 PM
I love jet, probably becuase ACDC and the Beatles are my 2 favorite bands.

trey-col89
11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Thats possibly the dumbest thing ever.... so sue Jet for being Aussie, its not their faults... they were born there. Maybe they like Gibson and Gretsches, who the hell knows. Notice how they both use Marshall Amps? Yeah, them and the other million bands that exist in the world. Notice how both bands have two brothers? Oasis has two brothers, are they ripping off AC/DC? Creedence Clearwater Revival has two brothers, are they being ripped off? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? Wake up, nearly ever band on the face of this earth uses open chords quite a lot, don't mean jack ****. Seriously, people who bash Jet annoy me to death. So trying to sound similar to your favorite bands is ripping them off? Lets face it no matter what type of music you play, you will always be ripping someone off, deal with it.

DirtyDeeds26
11-09-2005, 01:33 AM
You are not linking the facts together, do Oasis and Creedence Clearwater Revival play similar to AC/DC??? NO!
Do Millions of bands in the world use Gibsons and Gretches and Marshall especially to sound almost EXACTLY like AC/DC????NO,
and do bands always use distorted open chords to sound like AC/DC?? I dont think so because it is mosted used for punk/emo music nowadays.
So you are now saying Jet sounds smilar to Ac/Dc because it is Jet's favorite band, how come slash 's sound is difference from his favorite bands like Aerosmith and led zeppelin etc???
When people defends Jet annoys the **** outta me, just face the facts, Jet is ripping off Ac/Dc.

coolfrood2005
11-09-2005, 07:07 AM
AC/DC- greatest Aussie band ever. Jet don't come close.

skin_knee
11-09-2005, 09:33 PM
AC/DC > Jet in every way.

Skippy_McNutty
11-09-2005, 09:44 PM
ya well on this one commercial it sed to win tickets in a case of beer to australia's best band and it was for jet like wtf???

telex289
11-09-2005, 10:09 PM
you realize you're comparing a classic rock band that has influenced other bands so much to a recent band that has about 2 singles?

Schecter1277
11-09-2005, 10:29 PM
you all have to be the dumbest human beings alive, i will back that up
JET is simply playing what they like, and i imagine they like the AC/DC sound, that is called playing your influences.
gibson is a good guitar and marshall is a good amp, your point is moot there...
distorted open chords, yeah, AC/DC was the only band EVER to do that, and fyi, AC/DC copied some bands too. i mean music greats copied bands, blue suede shoes by elvis was a cover song.
it's called paying tribute, it's their music, they write it and the words, if they want to sound like AC/DC why is that a bad thing?
"immitation is the sincerest form of flattery" JET is their own band, and diserve just as much as AC/DC

EDIT: and furthermore AC/DC is heavy metal while JET is alternative

dont abandon me
11-09-2005, 10:35 PM
JET is ok. AC/DC is f*ucking badass. All Jet does is copy the sounds of the 70's.

Schecter1277
11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
JET is ok. AC/DC is f*ucking badass. All Jet does is copy the sounds of the 70's.
music never really gets anything new, it's a redoing of older stuff, nothing in music has changed except the insturments. we are still using the same notes, same scales, same stuff. if you want to say that then AC/DC is copying Bach, since they can be traced back to him.
JET writes their own songs, and they like the 70s sound, why you guys have to approve is beyond me, isnt it all about the artist's taste in music?
they are paying homage to bands that came before them.
JET=most unposerish band out there

trey-col89
11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
So they suck because they are trying to sound like bands they enjoy listening to? So just because they happened to come along in the 2000's instead of the 70's they are restricted to playing **** pop punk music?

Bmm386
11-10-2005, 03:02 PM
AC/DC isnt even completely Aussie. Only 1 member is. the Youngs are Irish and Brian Johnson is English i belive. Phil Rudd is the only member that was born in Austrailia.

strider_hein
11-10-2005, 04:35 PM
look at your sig
Just play music
nuff said.

utsapp89
11-10-2005, 05:09 PM

You're a ****ing idiot. I'll give it to them that Jet does have alot of riffs similar to classic rock songs, but you little bastards that keep pointing this out OVER AND OVER again are pissing me off, damnit. Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Gibson and Gretsh guitars? Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Marshall amps? Do you know how many MILLIONS of people play open distored chords? And do you truly think that two brothers liked AC/DC so much, they decided to form a band because they were siblings? Wouldn't that mean Van Halen and CCR were also ripping AC/DC off? That only further proves that you're just jumping on the Jet-bashing bandwagon. Good Christ, kids today.

EDIT: And another thing. The lead singer plays through Hi-Watt and Orange amps most of the time. I've never seen them with a Gretsch guitar. Cester plays almost exclusively 335's from Gibson (nothing like an SG a la AC/DC) and Muncey uses Gibson V's, Firebirds, and Les Pauls (also, not SG's). And classifying all the amps Marshall makes into one category is idiotic as well. If you were in this room, I'd punch you in the face. Good day.

trickie
11-11-2005, 02:33 AM
pff, AC/DC has the most basic sound ever, so who cares? Let the Jet fans have their music

Yeah this guys right. AC/DC uses the most basic riffs ever so its no shock that theres another band that sounds like them.

phobos
11-11-2005, 02:39 AM
AC/DC isnt even completely Aussie. Only 1 member is. the Youngs are Irish and Brian Johnson is English i belive. Phil Rudd is the only member that was born in Austrailia.
bah, hardly anyone's truly American but they can still call themselves Americans. hell, even i'm first generation American-born hehe. and the Youngs are Scottish, Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams are English.

DirtyDeeds26
11-11-2005, 03:02 AM
You're a ****ing idiot. I'll give it to them that Jet does have alot of riffs similar to classic rock songs, but you little bastards that keep pointing this out OVER AND OVER again are pissing me off, damnit. Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Gibson and Gretsh guitars? Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Marshall amps? Do you know how many MILLIONS of people play open distored chords? And do you truly think that two brothers liked AC/DC so much, they decided to form a band because they were siblings? Wouldn't that mean Van Halen and CCR were also ripping AC/DC off? That only further proves that you're just jumping on the Jet-bashing bandwagon. Good Christ, kids today.

EDIT: And another thing. The lead singer plays through Hi-Watt and Orange amps most of the time. I've never seen them with a Gretsch guitar. Cester plays almost exclusively 335's from Gibson (nothing like an SG a la AC/DC) and Muncey uses Gibson V's, Firebirds, and Les Pauls (also, not SG's). And classifying all the amps Marshall makes into one category is idiotic as well. If you were in this room, I'd punch you in the face. Good day.

Are you a ****ing idiot, did you read my post above??

yawn
11-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I'd rather a newer band rip-off a good band like AC/DC than a mediocre one like Green Day.

Let's just compare...

AC/DC Rip-offs:
Jet

Nirvana Rip-offs:
Fuel, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, and a ****load more.

Green Day Rip-offs:
I don't think that's neccessary - it's too depressing.

zep123
11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
and are you gonna be my girl riff sounds quite like radar love

KickOutTheJamsX
11-11-2005, 04:46 PM
you realize you're comparing a classic rock band that has influenced other bands so much to a recent band that has about 2 singles?

they have 4 singles off of their debut album..

and what does it matter of they are from australia and have brothers? do you think being related and being from a certain country has anything to do with sounding like a band? those are just coincidences.

get your heads out of your asses, its just music. fkn tards make having a band and playing music way more complicated than it has to be.

musicftm
11-11-2005, 04:47 PM
they both suck

seljer
11-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I hate Jet just for the Iggy Pop rip

]InYourHonour[
11-12-2005, 08:10 PM
i dont like Jet, BUT alot of bands use Gibsons and Marshalls in Australia and the world.
The Living End a good aussie band Uses marshall and Gretsch and sound nothing like AC/DC. Jet might use a similar Tone but AC/DC wernt the 1st to use Gibson and Marshall Combination

dazedandconfusd
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
EDIT: and furthermore AC/DC is heavy metal while JET is alternative
AC/DC isn't metal at all, they're hard rock/classic rock

the_experience
11-12-2005, 11:06 PM
The problem.......AC/DC is overrated anyway.......but still far better than Jet.

GuitarMauler
11-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Did anybody ever notice now much of a ripoff Jet is to AC/DC? I mean, I don't want to sit here and bash Jet to death but they deserve this. Notice how both bands are Australian? Notice how both bands use Gibson and Gretsch? Notice how both bands use Marshall amps? Notice how both bands have two brothers?

First, anyone notice none of that matters, and on the last part, I'm not too sure they can do much about that.

Secondly, Jet has a good sound. THey sound a lot like AC/DC, which is why they are good. AC/DC hasn't made a good album in a while so AC/DC Lite (read: Jet) will do, but in the end

AC/DC: a whole lot, like infinity maybe
Jet: very little

^those are numbers, like points of some kind in a competition of sorts, just so you denser folks understand.

Stuzzy
11-24-2006, 09:10 AM
One of you said that millions of people use Gibson and Martial and many bands have brothers. I think you are totally right. All these Jet bashers are losers who need to know a little bit about !REALITY! :mad: Thats the problem these days. You can't do something that you like or feel pasionate about without someone or in Jets case, dozens of idiots criticising you. Jet are a good band but nowhere as good as ACDC. Just because one person used a certain amp or a band had brothers, it doesn't meen that no other band is allowed to !OK! Think about it, anyone using a Gibson or a Fender or a Martial are copycats in reality because they're using something that someone else invented and used first. So in a perfect world, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Jet are all massive copycats. I should be quiet because none of you JET bashers with no brain cells will understand and you probably got a headche by about my tenth world. LOL.ACDC rocks

Stuzzy
11-24-2006, 09:12 AM
And by the way you said that ACDC hasn't made a decent album in a while, not a couple of years ago they had a platinum selling album, Stiff Upper Lip and only years earlier and 5x platinum selling album, I think, The Razors Edge, not bad for 40 and 50 year old rockers.

hardrock1315
11-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Honestly, besides the song "Cold Hard Bitch", I don't understand how people think that Jet ripped off AC/DC. They obviously don't sound like they came out a long time ago. They're a pretty good band, even though their new album was subpar. They really don't sound too much like AC/DC though.

And by the way, Stuzzy, it's Marshall. ;)

RyanInChains9
11-25-2006, 02:53 AM
ac/dc has the most generic sound ever, same songs over and over with crappy singers.

jet didn't copy anything because there is nothing worth while to copy.