Thoughts on Luca Turilli and Michael Romeo

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Luca Turilli and Michael Romeo

insideac
11-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey I was wondering what the UG Community thought of Luca Turilli from Rhapsody and Michael Romeo from Symphony X. Personally I think they both are relatively unknown and thats to bad. Luca has a nice dark sound, and some of his solos are so amazing lol they sound all cool and italian. You gotta check him out. My favorite solos are those from "Demonheart", and "Black Dragon". Also another thing I like about Luca is that he has a really good style for tremolo picking, which you can hear on the Demonheart solo.

For Michael Romeo, you should check out the Damnation Game, which I think is his best work yet. Its so awesome, check them out and let me know your thoughts on these guys.

shredfan
11-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Rhapsody are pretty good, not my favourite power metal but Symphony X just pwn. They're not really unknown though, you'd be surprised how many bands cite them as influences. Favourite album's probably the Divine Wings of Tragedy.

On a side note, I wish I could tap like Romeo.

insideac
11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, michael romeo is sick at tapping. I still wonder how he taps so easily going across all 6 strings and stuff.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Symphony X is amazing, I have Divine Wings and Twilight in Olympus, both great. Romeo is quite insane, Michael Pinnella is no slouch on keys either. Overall just a massively talented band, great music.

Rhapsody I like a bit, but it's not music I can listen to all the time...power metal as a genre I go through phases with it where I'll listen to a lot then never listen to again for who knows how long....Rhapsody is like that to me, but they are quite the talented bunch as well.

insideac
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, thats all true. For Luca, I tend to like his solo stuff better than his work with Rhapsody. Does anyone know the theory behind Luca's solos? Like how he makes them sound so cool, like what scale, patterns, etc. I was just wondering.

Freepower
11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Romeo is absolutely awesome. :)

That said, i dont know the other guy at all. :( I'll google him sometime. Maybe check out a solo transcription or two and tell you what i can about the theory behind his solos. :)

Resiliance
11-16-2005, 06:42 AM
I don't like Turilli a lot, Romeo is reasonably good imo.

I prefer Gary Wehrkampf, to stay in the genre.

pavan
11-16-2005, 06:46 AM
romeo is a nice guitarist, he has some pretty sick chops.
luca turelli is fine too.

flamencogod
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
I love luca! to me he is neoclassical's best! (from what I've heard) amazing tone... I like his solo stuff too, but rhapsody just own!

torturer6067
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
i have all symphony x albums and i have to say that romeo amazes me every time. the riffs are brutal technical and they pwn the solos are madness pure ****in madness

insideac
11-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Luca is starting to sound really awesome now. Check out the Solo for Lord of the Winter Snow, you can get into it so easily lol. Michael Romeo is pretty amazing, and he has like a signature tone. You can tell if a song is by Symphony X just because of what the guitar sounds like. This isn't true for most bands. :)

Reemster
11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm very fond of both Rhapsody and SX, but I like Romeo better. He just amazes me from time to time with his insane tapping and tight rhythm playing. Luca is very good as well, but I ( unlike some others here) do not like his tone. His solos can sound rather messy and not because he isn't playing properly.... But anyway, I think they're both very good, and Rhapsody is always great fun! :)

flamencogod
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I know what you mean reemster about luca, but I like that mushy sound he has, expecually when he is playing sweeps, I think it fits dragonforce cheesyness

Reemster
11-17-2005, 04:21 PM
^ Have to agree with you there, and it's all a matter of taste of course ;) And I can't deny that he's very good at what he does. Rhapsody is one of my favourite bands and he's of course for a large part responsible for that :)

You mentioned Dragonforce and I like them as well, but the solos are way over the top..... and I don't easily say that :)

SickMetal
11-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Rhapsody are a pretty kickass band, I agree that he's a talented guy.

Romeo's just plain killer. I love his solos, but he can still come up with some brutal riffs. \m/

AngilasGuy
11-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Rhapsody is cool (I like dawn of victory)
but I love Symphony X a lot more, Romeo is one of my heroes

Erc
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Romeo and Symphony X = great.

And they are actually a very popular band.

I myself have never listened to rhapsody...might check'em out later sometime.

insideac
11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Thats so awesome that you guys all have either heard or heard of these guys. Im new to these forums, but I feel right at home :)

flamencogod
11-18-2005, 08:45 AM
oh, I meant rhapsody when I mentioned dragonforce, rhapsody > dragonforce

Reemster
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
^ absolutely

garden of grey
06-17-2006, 11:48 PM
luca is not as technically good as romeo, but he has much better solos

Night_Lights
06-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Thats so awesome that you guys all have either heard or heard of these guys. Im new to these forums, but I feel right at home :)

more people might know rhapsody in the metal forum, since they are pretty much the top class of power metal

im not too much a Symphony X fan though. too much wankery. IMHO

Evil_Empire24-7
06-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Romeo is technicaly crazy , i like how he plays (whole-tone,,half diminished,diminished,egyptian etc...) scales and how he mixes those cool chords with non-standard rhythms and time signatures.

also his trademark sweep-tapping licks like (of sins and shadows solo) are just plain crazy.

bout luca i haven't heard any of his work but i would check it out.

Matt_Malmsteen
06-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I like both Symphony X and Rhapsody, although I prefer Luca's solo stuff to Rhapsody, I think some of his neoclassical stuff and his phrasing are really good.

That said I like Romeo's playing more, his tapping and some of the arps he does are great.

madpickin03
06-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I like Romeo better. He has some great tapping talent.

He's fat, but he's good.

Scorzerci
06-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Romeo kicks ass, Luca Turilli I haven't heard much of, but from what I've heard he kicks ass!

Waterboy799
06-18-2006, 04:49 PM
there's a picture where romeo looks like some evil lephercan (sp?) its pretty funny. he's got some great tapping skills ill give him that

SGRocker0791
06-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Symphony X (Michael Romeo), but I havn't checked out Rhapsody yet.

garden of grey
06-18-2006, 08:43 PM
hey sgrocker sorry for taking the loomis icon, ill remove it from all the posts ive been on, thought it was an up for grabs one made by you. but some guy on the metal forum cleared that up

perpetual shred
06-23-2006, 07:55 AM
luca turreli is god!!! i think hes technically better than romeo aswell *gasp*
check out his arps at 10 mins into it in the epic song angels of darkness or gargoyles, angels of darkness something like that, its incredible, hes better at arps than becker was.

HammerForce
06-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Resi, what band is Gary Wehrkampf in?
^I see yor from Stamford, I was in Stamford on the weekend, funny how small a world it is eh?

Gman400
06-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I like them both a lot. I'd say Romeo is definately more skilled and more original but Luca has his own cool style and they're both very talented.

Resiliance
06-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Resi, what band is Gary Wehrkampf in?

Shadow Gallery

Sweetbabyjezuz
06-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Michael Romeo is my favorite guitarist. (Although that title for me has changed many times.)

I also enjoy Turilli's stuff, I have his solo things, I only have one Rhapsody album though so I can't really decide if I like him better on that or not, but he's not up there too high on my list as far as who I like, not saying he's bad because he's still great, but I just like lots of other guitarists more.

Gman400
06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Gary...ground-struggle?

Resiliance
06-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Gary...ground-struggle?

No war stuff for once, mister Schutzstaffel :p:

Slayer224
06-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Symphony X and Micahel Romeo > Threadstarter's soul

The Divine Wings of Tragedy kick serious ass.

And they're actually quite popular you know. :)

Just not in the gay mainstream. (which is good)

Edit: im not too much a Symphony X fan though. too much wankery. IMHO

Well... your opinion < Dog poo :p:

Papathurzday
07-01-2006, 10:06 PM
http://ord01.umicache.com/p/purevolume.com/full_size/99027057-793-1131576869-romeo.jpg
Is this the evil leprechaun pic?

Both guys are amazing. Who I prefer depends on the mood I'm in.

Gaia_Astropolis
07-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I love both Rhapsody and Symphony X and I have all CDs by both bands. But personally, I don't really care about high-speed soloing or "technical riffing" in songs, but I prefer to pay attention to the song as a whole. Both Romeo and Turilli are good musicians.

trollblod
07-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Romeo's has an amazing lefthand technique.

Resiliance
07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I love both Rhapsody and Symphony X and I have all CDs by both bands. But personally, I don't really care about high-speed soloing or "technical riffing" in songs, but I prefer to pay attention to the song as a whole. Both Romeo and Turilli are good musicians.

I didn't really they were mutually exclusive :confused: