standing up?

PDA

View Full Version : standing up?

PhrygianJunkie
11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
i have just started playing standing up and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips to help me out other than play with my strap higher. also how do guitarists play in a way that the neck is at a 45 degree angle i can't seem to keep it up?

eplp22
11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
when it is hanging, tilt the neck and hold it there. Not hard, unless u are like supremely weak and have no endurance. When starting out u should have the strap high just to get used to the feeling of standing and playing. That way u dont have to tilt the neck.
I hope that helps u in some way.

bobsyouraunt
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
also, play in different positions eg letting your guitar hang off you and bend forwards or rest the butt of your guitar on your leg (hard to explain) and this lets you play solos better with more control. Or if you want to play them like your sitting down find somewhere to put ur leg so it is parallel to the ground and rest your guitar on that leg. I know, hard to explain but thry it.

ToolBass_dude
11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
...i can't seem to keep it up?

:p:

:(

Bob'89
11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
also, play in different positions eg letting your guitar hang off you and bend forwards or rest the butt of your guitar on your leg (hard to explain) and this lets you play solos better with more control.

someones been watching Slash! lol

20sacksam
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
play the guitar as low as you can, get a badass powerstance going, and JAM. j/k, just get the heigth wherever is most comfortable, it does help to start out with it kinda high though, untill you get used to it. I've also figured that it's easier to play different shaped/styled guitars at varying heigths. Example, i play my explorer pretty much around my knees, my LTD Eclipse kind of at my waist, and my Rhoads V is kinda high, just whatever is most comfortable, don't worry about looking cool.

Desk Jocky
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
i have just started playing standing up and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips to help me out other than play with my strap higher. also how do guitarists play in a way that the neck is at a 45 degree angle i can't seem to keep it up?
Practice.... It is a time on task Item. Only time doing it will help. If you are finding it difficult to stay standing and play try sitting down with your guitar on your opposite knee. (Example: I play right handed I will sit with my guitar on my left knee). This exercise simulates the angles on the neck that are similar to standing. It is very good if you have a heavy guitar (like a les paul or a pointy BC Rich) and yet helps you practice and develop muscle memory.
Enjoy!

mattutaylor
11-15-2005, 04:42 PM
weird cuz i have only just started suffering this problem - i had a really crappy strap that was lyk cotton that came with my first guitar. bought a decent one at music live and now its at a nice height for me to pull of some of my blues and improvised solos but when I try to play powerchords or anything on the low E and A strings, i really struggle. i tilt the guitar but end up standing with one leg either on my bed or computer chair and resing my guitar on it!

PhrygianJunkie
11-16-2005, 01:34 PM
when it is hanging, tilt the neck and hold it there. Not hard, unless u are like supremely weak and have no endurance. When starting out u should have the strap high just to get used to the feeling of standing and playing. That way u dont have to tilt the neck.
I hope that helps u in some way.

when you say tilt the neck and hold it there do i hold it with my right hand, my right arm or left hand?
(i play right handed btw)

20sacksam
11-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Kinda use your fretting hand to help support the neck, and use some pressure from your picking arm to hold it in position, not your hand, but the part of your arm that rests on the guitar. Thats pretty much what i have to do with my Rhoads, cause it's a little top heavy, the neck likes to go towards the floor if i'm not holding it.

clayton1533esp
05-31-2009, 11:31 AM
No, don't start out playing the guitar high because after a while you'll get used to the level AND picking style (You'll want to practice playing at your desired level as much as possible). But if you want it lower you're eventually going to have to change your picking style completely from the higher level and get used to it all over again which you dont want. start out at the way you want, and remember playing guitar is all about you (unless your in a band but for now lets just stick with what im saying), dont try to look cool or anything just do everything your way, if you want the guitar around your knees, practice playing it around your knees until you find the perfect picking style vice-versa.

7even
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Just always practise standing up. After a while it will become more natural than sitting down. And if you have it really low, for the love of god shorten your strap.

Ravenix
07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Ahh, I have problems with this too. I really need a band so I can perform and actually have a need for playing standing up :P

Thanks for the tips though everyone. Guess I'll just have to keep trying! :D

Blind In 1 Ear
07-29-2010, 06:13 PM
i dont put it much lower than it would be if i was sitting up striaght with the guitar. a little bit lower than that. but really, whats the point of playing lower? to look "cool"? if so, who cares? wouldnt you rather play well?

as for the angle, you would most likely shift the strap so that it would sit at that angle better.

z4twenny
07-29-2010, 06:23 PM
^ +1

i normally take my guitar and nerd it up close to me and let it drop just an inch or 2 for movement and comfort. all the guitarists i enjoy live usually have their guitar fairly close to their bodies.

jsepguitar
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
i dont put it much lower than it would be if i was sitting up striaght with the guitar. a little bit lower than that. but really, whats the point of playing lower? to look "cool"? if so, who cares? wouldnt you rather play well?

as for the angle, you would most likely shift the strap so that it would sit at that angle better.
Agree.

MatthewLeisher
07-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Actually, when you take your hand off the neck when you're standing up, it shouldn't move.

AlanHB
07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Wow thread necro'd twice in the last 5 years! Amazing!

And this thread belongs in guitar techniques I believe. I hope TS made it. Hopefully he realised that when you play standing up, you don't have the fretboard at a 45 degree angle (that's the secret ;) ).

ShadesOfGray
07-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Don't put your strap too low. There's a lot of people trying to look badass by implying they play their guitar with their feet, it's not really that great for playing and has a bigger chance of developing all kinds of muscle problems in your hands and arms.

You should have your strap about as high as getting your hands on the neck comfortably without needing to strain. So a bit higher if you play higher on the neck, and a bit lower if you play more on the lower side of the neck.

Also, you could go for the 'metal guitarist pose' if you strain to get higher notes on the neck. Put one foot on an amp or monitor or something and rest your guitar on the knee, kinda pushing the guitar up. A lot of people think it's for the show only, but it actually has a practical purpose :D

kian89
07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
+1 FOR POST NO. 3 , sorry i couldnt quote because m on a phone.
Anyway you should go with that . That'll help you .

rubiconuk
06-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Actually, when you take your hand off the neck when you're standing up, it shouldn't move.

Unless you have a BC Rich Mockingbird... or a Gibson Firebird... and any other neck heavy guitar. (For some reason they all seem to end in *bird.)