Basic Coordination

PDA

View Full Version : Basic Coordination

Bloodletting77
11-15-2005, 02:55 PM
This is a lesson i came up with that might help a few of you.

How many of you sit down, and play something, and it not be clean or coordinated at all? More than likely, there are a lot of you who come to this problem. I myself have had this problem, and still do from time to time. So basically, I have come up with a few tips and exercises to help you.

What you will need.

1. Guitar
2. Amp (Clean channel)
3. Metronome (If you don't have one, go to http://www.metronomeonline.com/index.php?style=cool)
4. Patience.

STEP 1.

Remember to be in tune. This works best in standard tuning (low to high) E A D G B E.

Excercise 1.

This is just a basic little chromatic scale run. When playing this, start with your metronome on 60. Play it 8 times clean and coordinated. Once you have accomplished this, click it up a notch. Here it is. Also remember to use strict alternate picking (Up, Down, Up, Down). Use the fingering pattern; 1,2,3,4 as you normally would in an exercise like this.

E|---------------------------------------------1-2-3-4|
B|------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
G|---------------------------1-2-3-4------------------|
D|------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------|
A|---------1-2-3-4------------------------------------|
E|1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------|

Exercise 2.

This is similar too the exercise above this one, but rather then going from the E string to the A string, etc. you do some string-skipping. Same rule follows as above, metronome on 60, play 8 times, fingering pattern is 1,2,3,4.

E|---------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4|
B|---------------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------|
G|---------------------------1-2-3-4------------------1-2-3-4---------|
D|---------1-2-3-4------------------1-2-3-4----------------------- ---|
A|------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------|
E|1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------|

Exercise 3.

This exercise is moreover a fingering/coordination technique exercise. It requires you to use all four fingers. The fingering pattern is listed below the TAB.

E|----------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------------|
D|---------------7------------------------------|
A|------7-9-10---10-9-7---------------------|
E|---8----------------------8-------------------|

~~~2 1 3 4 1 4 3 1 2

Exercise 4.

This is the last exercise I have for you. It's basically another fingering technique exercise. It uses all four fingers. Again, the pattern is listed below.

E|-----------5---------- |
B|---5-6-8----8-6-5-- |
G|7--------------------7|
D|----------------------- |
A|------------------------|
E|------------------------|
~ 3 1-2-4 1 4-2-1 3

So there's my exercise for you. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope it enlightens your nusical abilities.

SilentDeftone
11-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Exercise 1 - your "chromatic scale" is missing notes. Also perhaps explain how to use the metronome, how many notes per click, etc.

Perhaps you can include picking patterns along with the tabbed examples.

It seemed really short, I think you need to elaborate more on certain points. And you didn't really explain how doing these will help your coordination and accuracy? basically a whole lot more could be said on the subject.

-SD :dance: