The most commonly used and effectives ways to end a song

PDA

View Full Version : The most commonly used and effectives ways to end a song

guitar_guru_28
11-16-2005, 01:45 AM
The End. The Final Curtain. The Grand Finale. The Finish Line. However you think about it, the ending is one of the most important parts of the song. The most important thing about the ending of a song is that you finish on the root note or the note, which the scale is named after. The easiest way to end a song is just sustaining the last note but there are many other ways to end a song and I have listed some below.

Fadeout

A very commonly used technique which is a gradual decrease in volume until the song can no longer be heard. It sounds as though the music is walking away from you. Fading can be quick or slow and is usually used on guitar solos, intro's used as endings or the chorus.

Dynamics and tempo changes

Used in every ending to some degree. Either getting louder or softer or faster or slower. Obvious. Yes. Simple. Yes but it's what happens so I don't care if you say, "Tell us something we don't know". Anyway next point.

The Texture of the Sound

The number of instruments you can hear playing at the end can increase to the whole band or decrease to just vocals.

Key changes

Leading up to the ending of a song a key change may be introduced to make the melody sound different to interest the listener but not changing the notes.

There is also a technique where the music suddenly stops and you don't expect it to. It's like the music crashed into a brick wall. I don't know what its called but you get the point.

There is also that huge climatic ending usually used at live concerts where the drummer goes nuts, the guitarists use tremolo picking and strumming, the lead guitarist rips out a monster solo, the bass player wakes up out his deep sleep and would either play tremolo or follow the lead guitar and the singer would scream till his throat is sore and red!!! A great way to end a song and a favourite of mine.(It usually makes the hair on my back stand on end but in a good way!!!)

Or like a Pink Floyd album, you dont even need to end the song but just play through to the next song or play sound effects etc, just listen to one of their albums and note how they do it. It is very effective and you often wonder "Which track am I listening to now!!!" I'd also like to add that Pink Floyd are a great band and Dark Side of The Moon is one of the best albums I've heard (Behind ACDC's Back In Black, Green Day's American Idiot and System of a Down's Mesmerize etc)

That?s all that I can think of for now, I have more than likely missed out some important and obvious ones so if you have any please post them below the article (it is my 1st article so don't be too harsh)

BigFatSandwich
11-16-2005, 03:32 AM
BOO!

heh, not to the post, but to fadeouts. I hate it when songs end with fadeouts. sometimes they can be used to great effect, but more often than not it just seems like laziness.
"hey let's just play the chorus over and over again and we'll fade out and end the song with that." Aaaaugh.

but yeah... good post. fairly simple stuff, but a lot of people don't know this. and they should.

Diceman42
11-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Dark Side of The Moon is one of the best albums I've heard (Behind ACDC's Back In Black, Green Day's American Idiot and System of a Down's Mesmerize etc)

you will get flamed and quite possibly murdered for declaring American Idiot and Mezmerize better than Darkside. Id leave that comment out completely.

guitar_guru_28
11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
you will get flamed and quite possibly murdered for declaring American Idiot and Mezmerize better than Darkside. Id leave that comment out completely.

My apoligies I meant as well as American Idiot and Mesmerize

AllForYouBLS
11-18-2005, 10:02 PM
how bout the G chord... great way to end a song, lol

guitar_guru_28
11-18-2005, 10:08 PM
nah i rather the A lol

TheAbacus
11-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Some other commonly used endings :

1. Play the same progression (the main one) and slow down on the last chord. Then give a ripper of a power chord on the 1st chord (while the drummer goes crazy and the lead wanks around on the same scale, the vocalist runs across the stage to land on drunk/doped fans) If its a pop / soft song, end on a chord arpeggio.

2. An offbeat way of ending a song is, just don't end it on the main chord... Simple.

3. And the abrupt end is another nice one (eg. Hotel California (live acoustic version) -- The Eagles)

matter
11-21-2005, 08:10 AM
the article's been posted (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_most_commonly_used_and_effectives_ways_to_end_a_song.html) on the site
hasn't waited till it is approved, sorry :rolleyes: but it isn't featured anyway...