non-shredding shredders

PDA

View Full Version : non-shredding shredders

Gabuydachk
11-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I was browsing the forum the other day and noticed Resiliance's sig:
"If you really play your guitar with attitude and you don't care about any rules or boundaries that are temporarily set up by commercial considerations, then you're a shredder."
Who do you think is a shredder that follows this definition, but doesn't play fast?

flytv12
11-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Jimi Hendrix, I know he is really overrated but he was good and he did follow that definition exaclty, he was the first musician to ever be associated with the term heavy metal.

kevinm4435
11-19-2005, 11:00 AM
The Edge was the first person to come to mind for me.

PooKoo
11-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Frank Zappa

Evil_Empire24-7
11-19-2005, 12:04 PM
anyone can play fast , but people don't show off like steve vai and yngwie , it's like satch he doesn't get half of the money vai gets cause he doesn't show off.

Erc
11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
WTF evil-empire? How do you know Vai's and Satches annual wages? Dumbass.

If by putting on a good show you mean showing off, then all 3 do it moron.

Evil_Empire24-7
11-19-2005, 12:12 PM
^just hold it steady man ,why u flame at me ?

Archaon
11-19-2005, 12:41 PM
anyone can play fast , but people don't show off like steve vai and yngwie , it's like satch he doesn't get half of the money vai gets cause he doesn't show off.
Are you mentally retarded? Anyone can play fast? Yea, if they practice a lot. Steve vai showing off? Yea I guess you could say that, then again, what's wrong with that? It pleases the audience, and most (if not all) of the time his shredding sounds good rather than a bunch of notes flying off the neck.
And how the hell do you know how much they make?

What the hell is wrong with you?

xxgenocide98xx
11-19-2005, 12:44 PM
ATTN IDIOTS:::

This thread is not about ****ing shredders. Its about reliance's sig and who you think would fit the category. I'm pretty sure its geared towards people who ARENT considered 'shredders' and its not supposed to be some big arguement about vai vs satch vs yngwie vs bob dole.

I suggest you guys go and delete your posts before I go flag them for spam, because its off-topic.

IMO hendrix, zappa and I actually think some metal guitarists would fit, but I don't feel like remembering names and throwing them around. I'm thinking Cryptopsy and Sleep Terror here.

DeathDealer
11-19-2005, 12:46 PM
non shredding shredders?? Marty Friedman comes to mind these days...his latest stuff has been bluesy,jazzy deals. Paul Gilbert has also gone pretty rock n rolly

DeathDealer
11-19-2005, 12:50 PM
ATTN IDIOTS:::

This thread is not about ****ing shredders. Its about reliance's sig and who you think would fit the category. I'm pretty sure its geared towards people who ARENT considered 'shredders' and its not supposed to be some big arguement about vai vs satch vs yngwie vs bob dole.

I suggest you guys go and delete your posts before I go flag them for spam, because its off-topic.

IMO hendrix, zappa and I actually think some metal guitarists would fit, but I don't feel like remembering names and throwing them around. I'm thinking Cryptopsy and Sleep Terror here.
actually,to quote the thread starter:
"Who do you think is a shredder that follows this definition, but doesn't play fast?"

so it is in fact about shredders

Axegrinder#9
11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
hey retards go jerk off...

anyway, I'd say one person who comes to mind would be Neal Schon of Journey... he can rip it up all right, but he rarely does so

more in keeping with the message in Resi's sig, I'd go with guys like Robert Fripp, Tom Morello...

DeathDealer
11-19-2005, 03:43 PM
more in keeping with the message in Resi's sig, I'd go with guys like Robert Fripp, Tom Morello...
but the confine themselves to what is comercial :p:

ukdudeinuk
11-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Tom doesnt confine himself to what is commerical, if he did, he wouldnt find all those weird sounds to use. I mean, is experimentation and finding new things encouraged? NO! Therefore, in my opinion, Tom Morello does not fit those boundaries as mentioned in Resi's sig.

Gabuydachk
11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
oh, i forgot to give my reply
Frank Zappa, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Fred Frith, David Fiuczynski (although he can shred when needed), Tom Morello, countless jazzers, Derek Bailey

Also, here's another thought. Who are the ones who play fast and "shred," but don't follow the definition in Resiliance's sig?

ukdudeinuk
11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
So shredding while adhering to commercial restrictions? Who does that fit? I can think of noone.

The UG Squirrel
11-19-2005, 06:02 PM
For me its Dave Gilmour, Friedman, a few metal guitarists and lots of jazzers.

Mascot
11-19-2005, 06:06 PM

:haha

Uhh, Resi!

Resiliance
11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Trying to find people adherent to my signature is pretty useless....

It's not trying to get that message across, it's more of a stab at the term "shredder" and how it's use is so ...

You guessed it.

Useless.

apocalypse13
11-20-2005, 12:14 AM
^Aren't most things?

Punk as atticus
11-20-2005, 12:21 AM
alexi laiho came to mind, cause he's like a shredder but he doesn't make shred music, insane and talented guitarist he is.

mercedesisbenz
11-20-2005, 02:42 AM

i dont go to steve vai concerts for him to stand around and be modest.

SilentDeftone
11-20-2005, 03:12 AM
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
:haha:haha:haha:haha:haha

-SD :dance:

pavan
11-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Vai ? Since when did Vai start showing off ?

Tarakoch
11-20-2005, 09:12 AM
What about Django ?

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Django pwnz

apocalypse13
11-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Vai ? Since when did Vai start showing off ?:cheers:

Vai is actually a suck-up to lesser guitarists, just because he doesn't like to show off. He just likes to play guitar, and happens to be very good at it.

Honestly, would you rather hear Vai playing mainstream rock, or the shred which he plays so wonderfully?

JimiSlashPage
11-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Slash came to mind for me.

apocalypse13
11-20-2005, 10:03 AM
^Yeah, but don't you think he is mainstream?

Gn'R= Huge in the eighties, VR= huge now

That violates the rules, but I suppose he is a bit different, not many mainstream bands do solos anymore besides him.

Marty Friedman's solo albums, Cacophony work, and Rust in Peace definitely fit the criteria. Chris Poland's work does too. Tony Iommi, Jimi Hendrix, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, K.K. Downing, and Glen Tipton are some that come to mind for me.

wil
11-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Slash- although not capable of shredding like Vai- is SOOO unique, even when he rose to fame, when everyone else was sweeping themselves into tendonitis, and tapping themselves silly, he forged ahead with an HONEST, simple and soulful style. The same goes for The Edge. BTW, I saw Slash on tv the other night doing a Hendrix tribute with Steve Winwood, Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, they played Hey Joe and it was awesome-Slash was so restrained and his soloing was brilliant.

Also, im pretty sure Satch makes more than Vai, Surfing With the Alien is the best selling instrumental guitar album ever, Satch's work is-arguably- more consistent and commercial=-while still being miles away from the mainstream.

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah but becker just pwnz slash.

And i dont think slash could shred like vai.

wil
11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I said slash couldnt shred like Vai and becker could outplay slash. What's your point. youve only been playing a year and a half and you can own slash apparently.

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 11:13 AM
I was just voicing an opinion, that slash couldnt play like vai, at least not in all respects. I love slash though.

wil
11-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Slash cant play like Vai, but then vAI Ccant play like Slash, sure he could hit all the notes, probably even play a lot of it cleaner, but it aint the same, Slash's chops arent the best in the world, but his feel, his tone, the whole thing just...works.

Smokey Amp
11-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Mark Tremonti. Batio tutored him...He can shred, very well. He just doesn't.

public property
11-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I think vai sounds like hes playing the notes as opposed to the guitar, but the notes are written with all sorts of funny expressive stuff that goes with the tune.
I bet he probably transcribe the animal in live at the astoria and put 'play with hat on and funny glasses' at the top as performance notes.

Anyway non shredding shredders. Zappa, thats all I can think of out of my knowledge.

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah i know what you mean man, its all good.

Freepower
11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
"Me."

Evil_Empire24-7
11-20-2005, 12:38 PM
jason becker is crazy in theory.

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Why yes he is, that was a quite relevant comment.

Resiliance
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Gabuydachk, speaking of sigs, your Zappa quote is incorrect.

It should be "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible".

:cheers:

mingles
11-20-2005, 05:15 PM
To me, shredder means the guitarist can play fast, if they can't, no matter how good they are, I don't consider them a shredder.

SilentDeftone
11-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Perhaps a distinction should be made between the terms shredder and virtuoso? ;)

PooKoo
11-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Thats the smartest thing ive heard yet.

Jammer39
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Jonny Greenwood

(()()lY
01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
jimi hendrix is not heavy metal

Stratwizard
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Not really.

PooKoo
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
forgive me for posting in ignorance quite a long time ago, i'm actually thinking of deleting many of my old posts.

eviledge87
01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Perhaps a distinction should be made between the terms shredder and virtuoso? ;)

you should be given a medal

Not really.
yes realy

Shreddy Non-shredders

Slash
Tracii Guns
Alexi Laiho
Zakk Wylde

they're all great guitarists, who can all play pretty fast (some faster than others) but none of them really shred

Harmonius
01-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Slash (yeah, you know he can)
Brad Paisley
I believe Stevie Ray could to some extent (don't laugh, seriously)

Beckerism
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
you should be given a medal

yes realy

Shreddy Non-shredders

Slash
Tracii Guns
Alexi Laiho
Zakk Wylde

they're all great guitarists, who can all play pretty fast (some faster than others) but none of them really shred

Jason "shredded" quite often?

The Virtuoso
01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
^?

eviledge87
01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
i didn't say jason shredded often, i don't have enough of his material to make that judgement. but he did shred, unless my standards are horribly out of whack. The people i listed before don't. (Although Laiho and Wylde come close)

Stevie Ray Vaugn is amazing.

Beckerism
01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
i didn't say jason shredded often, i don't have enough of his material to make that judgement. but he did shred, unless my standards are horribly out of whack. The people i listed before don't. (Although Laiho and Wylde come close)

Stevie Ray Vaugn is amazing.

Woaaaah. I must have combined two thoughts/posts together. I don't see any reference to Jason in your post. My bad. :p:

eviledge87
01-13-2007, 08:43 PM
ok good, i got kinda confused for a little bit, would Slayer's guitarists be good canidates for this thread? Kerry King is overated, but Jeff Hanneman's amazing. Also i think all the Megadeth guitarists should be mentioned, but i don't feel like listing them all.

hepzibahbaptist
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
all 30 of them?

AMGram
01-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth

Godly Moose
01-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Old thread is oooooooold.

sheumack111
01-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Ritchie Blackmore definatly fits this catogory.... Anyone heard any of his "Blackmore's Night" stuff?

flamencogod
01-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Ritchie Blackmore definatly fits this catogory.... Anyone heard any of his "Blackmore's Night" stuff?
yeah, If I can't sleep just put on some blackmore's night. it's so damn boring you fall asleep after drinking 50 redbulls! Blackmore should play rockmusic! he's a bitch

sheumack111
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Blackmore should play rockmusic! he's a bitch

You obviously have no idea about Blackmore. Blackmore is not a bitch, he stopped playing rock music and did something that not many people do. Blackmore is anything but a bitch, he went from being in one of the worlds greatest and most influential rock bands, then got sick of the lame shit of rock music today, so changed to the other end of the spectrum. Blackmore may have being an arsehole, but i still have the uttmost respect for his musical ability.

Outside Octaves
01-15-2007, 01:33 AM
The Edge was the first person to come to mind for me.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG, WHAT A LARK! You do realize U2 is ONE of the MOST commerciallized bands of their generation? Hell... I mean, come on...

Of course, you can always prove me wrong :P. But if u do, bring some backup (undeniable proof).

Harmonius
01-15-2007, 07:23 AM
When I think of the Edge, I think of shit. Sorry - I never understood why people regarded him as amazing or great. I thought he was terrible.

Outside Octaves
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
He isn't terrible... just not amazing.. hell..... what's it take to sustain a note, or play some chords? I mean.. hell, I can do that... WOH, LOOK AT ME, I'M SOARING LIKE EDGE!! lol! Some of their pieces are quite good, just... I wouldn't call Edge a great guitarist. I mean, look at any live performance of Beautiful Day or any of their stuff...

I'm not going to mention their mixing/mixer... but I will mention this: Commercial Band.... U2 is one ;)... look at all the TV adds they've had their songs on, beginning with that damned Ipod Commercial. Pop rock... need I say anymore?

PooKoo
01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
What's wrong with being commercial? The problem with u2 is that the majority of their music sucks.

Harmonius
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
The problem with u2 is that the majority of their music sucks.

lolz!1one

I was thinking, perhaps Joe Satriani is a non-shredding shredder. I mean, sure he can shred - we've all seen him do it, however, he doesn't really do it that often. I'd like to class him more as a virtuoso rather than a shredder (if you allow the distinction between being a virtuoso and a shredder).

Outside Octaves
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
ok... PooKoo, you fail at life... end of story... just go die now~!~

They don't SUCK, they just don't write overly impresive pieces. Hell, once I learn some chords other than major and minor, get some rythm in me, I could probably out play Edge, lol. But Besides that point, U2 does have some good songs out there, beautiful day is a good one, if nothing but pop..... but heh...oh well... back to life on the boards...

wasp2020
01-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I was thinking, perhaps Joe Satriani is a non-shredding shredder. I mean, sure he can shred - we've all seen him do it, however, he doesn't really do it that often. I'd like to class him more as a virtuoso rather than a shredder (if you allow the distinction between being a virtuoso and a shredder).

I agree completely. I still can't find a single good example of a song by him where it's just 'shredding', or a song where the technique is piroritized over the songwriting...And then you have the tons of songs with pretty normal and minimal playing.

Resiliance
01-16-2007, 06:34 AM
I agree completely. I still can't find a single good example of a song by him where it's just 'shredding', or a song where the technique is piroritized over the songwriting...And then you have the tons of songs with pretty normal and minimal playing.

Shredding is not technique prioritized over songwriting... For ****s sake.

PooKoo
01-16-2007, 07:43 AM
ok... PooKoo, you fail at life... end of story... just go die now~!~

They don't SUCK, they just don't write overly impresive pieces. Hell, once I learn some chords other than major and minor, get some rythm in me, I could probably out play Edge, lol. But Besides that point, U2 does have some good songs out there, beautiful day is a good one, if nothing but pop..... but heh...oh well... back to life on the boards...

Haha, I'm sorry, I just really hate Bono. Jedi Mind Tricks is so much better.

wasp2020
01-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Shredding is not technique prioritized over songwriting... For ****s sake.

I never intented that for to be what that post said.

Outside Octaves
01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
And Resi is right... Shredding isn't just technique prioritized over songwriting for f**cks sake!

Take Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath LIVE (from Madison Square Gardens)... awsome songwriting there, but boy does that guitarist shread away!

Freepower
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I never intented that for to be what that post said.

Then don't write that. :p:

His style is shred through and through, the feel of the rhythm parts, the modality, etc. It's shred as ****.