open coil humbuckers and regular humbuckers

PDA

View Full Version : open coil humbuckers and regular humbuckers

IronBeast
11-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I know what humbuckers are, but what is the difference in sound between an open coil humbucker and a regular (covered) humbucker?

adamstartin
11-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Uncovered has a rawer sound. Just think slash uses open, Josh homme of Queen of the stone age uses covered.

Finsta
11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
The difference is not the sound, between the open coil and the covered ones. It's the amount of microphonic feedback.

IronBeast
11-20-2005, 10:30 AM
o ok

so open are rawer, but covered cut down on noise and feedback?

Vindication
11-20-2005, 10:30 AM
humbuckers reduce the distortion, and have a better tone.
thats why im thinking of getting a mexican strat with 2 open, and 1 humbucker.

You're getting a 3 humbucker guitar? That's pretty interesting.

Or maybe you should realize that he's talking about covered and uncovered humbuckers, not single coils.

bananajammin
11-20-2005, 10:31 AM
the difference between the covered and open coil humbuckers is mainly just for appearance's sake, but I've heard that taking the covers off gives you a little bit more high end, probably because with the covers on the power of the magnets is reduced a little bit because theres a piece of material in between the magnets and the strings now

IronBeast
11-20-2005, 10:32 AM
oh I see thanks guys.

Vindication
11-20-2005, 10:33 AM
the difference between the covered and open coil humbuckers is mainly just for appearance's sake, but I've heard that taking the covers off gives you a little bit more high end, probably because with the covers on the power of the magnets is reduced a little bit because theres a piece of material in between the magnets and the strings now

Yeah, he pretty much got it right, although I'm not sure that it's because there's material between the magnets and the strings (because it shouldn't matter, since plastic isn't magnetic).

##_Guitar-newb
11-20-2005, 10:35 AM
but still holding material between magnets...redcues the magnetic effect on the other side of the material ^

Vindication
11-20-2005, 10:38 AM
but still holding material between magnets...redcues the magnetic effect on the other side of the material ^

That wouldn't make any sense, unless you had to change the distance between the magnet and the strings (which you theoretically would have to, at least a tiny bit, so that could be why it happens)

D Man
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
^^ Vindication.

Google 'magnetic permeability'.

The only post on here thats correct is bananas. All the others are bull.

Dave_Mc
11-20-2005, 12:09 PM
^^ Vindication.

Google 'magnetic permeability'.

The only post on here thats correct is bananas. All the others are bull.

seconded

and...

Zeus2716
11-20-2005, 12:20 PM
true but doesnt removing a cover give it a little more treble? or is that what he said? or am i just completely retarted?

MeGaDeth2314
11-20-2005, 12:25 PM
true but doesnt removing a cover give it a little more treble? or is that what he said? or am i just completely retarted?

Yeah, high end is basically treble.

I Are Kewl
11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
isnt treble kinda like mid/high end??

Adrock1795
11-20-2005, 01:27 PM
wait sooo, if you have this

http://www.axechops.com/images/Articles/GibsonPickups/490R-Both-Small.jpg

and take the cover off it will look like this
http://www.axechops.com/images/Articles/GibsonPickups/498T-Small-Open.jpg

LedZep_freak20
11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
isnt treble kinda like mid/high end??

Treble is the higher frequencies, bass is the lower, and mid is obviously the ones inbetween.

EDIT - (to the guy above me) I highly doubt it will be a zebra pickup, but it'll look the same, just to black ones instead of a black and cream one.

Greenday389
11-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Why do some humbuckers have poles on one coil and screws on the other? Because my humbuckers have all poles and no screws.

fronkpies
11-20-2005, 02:20 PM
actually its widly debated wether removing pickupp covers actualy do ANYTHING to the sound, i took my bridge off and i think it does sond better.

but some people say it does. some people say it doesnt.

bettyswollox
11-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Is there an easy way to remove the humbucker covers, as i have been looking to for ages on my SG copy. Could someone explain how to please. Cheers!

Adrock1795
11-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Treble is the higher frequencies, bass is the lower, and mid is obviously the ones inbetween.

EDIT - (to the guy above me) I highly doubt it will be a zebra pickup, but it'll look the same, just to black ones instead of a black and cream one.

wooo i actuly removed the cover from my agile and guess what!! there zebra!!! lol
and whats up with all the wax on it :eek:

Is there an easy way to remove the humbucker covers, as i have been looking to for ages on my SG copy. Could someone explain how to please. Cheers!

i just took off my neck cover it is kinda easy depending on what tools you have. all you do is unscrew all 3 screws on each side(pickup height scew etc) and take the pickup holder thing out , and then take out the pickup, you dont even have to unwire it (it might be easier if you do) flip the pickup to the bottem and you see two solder points, now if you have a soldering iron just unsolder it and you can just remove the cover by hand, if you dont have a soldering iron (like me) you can just use a knife and hack through the soldered metal

bettyswollox
11-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Cheers for that

Adrock1795
11-20-2005, 03:11 PM
i hope that i dont get extra noise :wtf:

t2russo
11-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Why do some humbuckers have poles on one coil and screws on the other? Because my humbuckers have all poles and no screws. your pickups are not able to be adjusted, because they are either low-end or dimarzio's (some may debate that that means the same thing...), so you cant adjust individual string volume...

t2russo
11-20-2005, 04:10 PM
wooo i actuly removed the cover from my agile and guess what!! there zebra!!! lol
and whats up with all the wax on it :eek:

i just took off my neck cover it is kinda easy depending on what tools you have. all you do is unscrew all 3 screws on each side(pickup height scew etc) and take the pickup holder thing out , and then take out the pickup, you dont even have to unwire it (it might be easier if you do) flip the pickup to the bottem and you see two solder points, now if you have a soldering iron just unsolder it and you can just remove the cover by hand, if you dont have a soldering iron (like me) you can just use a knife and hack through the soldered metal
the wax it to help deal with microphonic feedback... :bonk: you might experience a lot more feedback now... good job!!!

Adrock1795
11-20-2005, 04:36 PM
is it normal to experience a hum build when your guitar is resting next to your amp?

t2russo
11-20-2005, 04:58 PM
when you remove the WAX POTTING yes... not a good idea as i said before...

D Man
11-20-2005, 05:01 PM
the wax it to help deal with microphonic feedback... :bonk: you might experience a lot more feedback now... good job!!!

Whats with all the bull in this thread?

Yes the wax is for microphony. Because the covers themselves can resonate against other metal components in the pickup, and the coil picks up the vibration like it does teh string. So metal covers are normally potted on to eliminate this. However, he has no more cover so he has no more fear of it causing micrphony, so he has no more need of the wax AT ALL.

t2russo
11-20-2005, 05:36 PM
EVH dips his p/u's in wax to seal the pickups and help feedback, most companies now apparently wax dip them to prevent excess noise, like Gibson's Dirty Fingers and such...

Greenday389
11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
your pickups are not able to be adjusted, because they are either low-end or dimarzio's (some may debate that that means the same thing...), so you cant adjust individual string volume...

So if both coils of a humbucker all have screws you can tweak the volume even more?