ProCo Rat distortion pedals

PDA

View Full Version : ProCo Rat distortion pedals

RDF90
11-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Does anybody know if either the Rat 2 or the Turbo Rat are any good. Whats the difference between the two? The guitar center near me doesn't have them so I can't try them. I've been also looking at the boss bd-2 and mxr distortion. I have a boss ds-1. So I'm comparing them to those. How versatile are they? Is the filter knob the same as a tone knob?

RDF90
11-21-2005, 06:33 AM
nobody has one?

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-21-2005, 08:35 AM
ive only tried the keeley rat and it was awesome - as are all of his pedals

so what are you looking for here?

the bd-2 is overdrive but can get pretty crappy and fuzzy - can be quite buzzy and too much treb. the tone control doesnt work too well
the mxr is distortion but can get fuzz tones - the reissue pretty much stinks imo. i wouldnt bother unless looking for an old mxr script logo

if youre really serious about tone look at keeley - if you dont mine then those pedals will be ok

what are you looking for - the rat, bd-2 and mxr distortion are so differemt

seljer
11-21-2005, 11:48 AM
The Turbo rat has LEDs for the clipping diodes as far as I know compared the the Rat2/Vintage Rat which has regular diodes of some sort.
If you can solder, adding a switch to change between diodes and LEDs for clipping is pretty easy (and if you get an on-off-on switch, the off position would turn the pedal into a huge clean boost)

Personally I've got my own homemade Rat but I'd say its similiar to the real ones. Its slightly different from most distortions but it has its own character.
It can do a kind of dirty clean sound/overdrive (not as good as an actual overdrive pedal but I like a slightly gritty clean sound...), it can do your regular rock distortion, it can do some early Metallica and black sabbath stuff too, it can kind of do a David Gilmour fuzz type tone (but with more harmonics, this pedal overall has a ton of harmonics). It can probably do even more but I'm still messing around with it...
The "Filter" is prettymuch a tone knob, takes away the high end.

RDF90
11-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, I probably won't use it for a booster to much because I'm getting an equalizer for that. I'm looking for a very versatile distortion (or overdrive) to use almost as a second channel other than my amp.

I just heard back from a guy I e-mailed that works for ProCo and he basically explained the difference. I'll probably go woth the Rat 2.

Does it still keep a tube amp sound, because I'll probably use it with a traynor ycv50?

I was also looking at the keeley mods but I don't know if I want added bass response, is it any good?

What types of music is the Rat 2 best for?

nic_2090
11-21-2005, 08:17 PM
To put it simply, the Pro Co Rat is a better distortion pedal than any of the other ones that you listed. The BD2 is nice, but it's very different. It has a lighter, blues overdrive, where the Rat has more of a grungy distortion. I'm not too familiar with the MXR distortion, but I've heard good things.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
of course the keeley modsare worth it - if youre serious about your tone go for it.

RDF90
11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
how dynamic is it? I know some pedals like ds-1's make any amp sound solid state does the rat do that? Are there any pedals I should look at instead?

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
^^thats where keeleys come in - they all sounds ****ing beautiful - listen to the sound clips.

vai uses the keeley ds-1 - he doesnt sound sloid state at all

RDF90
11-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Ya, I'll proabably do that. Also, how versatile is it? I know its a distortion but can it get some overdrive tones with it also?

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah well its a distortion but theres some overdrive in there..just need to spend time messing with it

RDF90
11-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Is there anything better in the price range? Like a tubescreamer, boss od-3, bd-2, ds-1, etc.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-26-2005, 11:02 PM
what type of sound are you after

RDF90
11-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Hard rock like led zeppelin, ac/dc, van halen, Hendrix, george thorogood, zz top, Brian May, aerosmith, etc.

seljer
11-27-2005, 08:01 AM
I haven't been able to get a AC/DC sound out of it (its always just a little bit too much gain), i've gotten some pretty good settings for most of the others though

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-27-2005, 09:53 AM
go for the keeley rat for that stuff

RDF90
11-27-2005, 10:05 AM
seljier: i thought you said you can get lower gain setting with it as well as high gain?

zoso: I was looking at the keeley one. Do you have it? If I bought the keeley one and I put the switch on the stock settingwould be any different than a real stock one. It says there is added bass response, but I'm no sure what that means. Is the gain any different?

seljer
11-27-2005, 10:28 AM
seljier: i thought you said you can get lower gain setting with it as well as high gain?

zoso: I was looking at the keeley one. Do you have it? If I bought the keeley one and I put the switch on the stock settingwould be any different than a real stock one. It says there is added bass response, but I'm no sure what that means. Is the gain any different?

The lower settings are kind of finicky. For me it always comes out a bit too "dirty", its an ok setting but not AC/DC.
And to get an AC/DC sound things are real finicky too....actually I think its just trying to sound like AC/DC overall, you could give me a Marshall plexi running at half volume witha vintage Gibson SG and I still would't sound like Angus Young :(

as for the Keely mods: the switch there selects between different clipping diodes (I modded mine to have this too), i'm pretty sure your choices consist of regular diodes of some sort and LEDs (regular Rats and the Turbo rat), as well as no diodes for no clipping and a huge volume boost.
And the added bass response is just that, the bass is a bit louder, tighter, doesnt really bother me as the pedal has decent bass IMO (I think adding a bit more might make it sound like a Mesa Boogie or something). Keely however does change all the capacitors to higher quality ones (i just used whatever I could find, some people hear a difference between them...its up to you) and the opamp (I managed to get a LM308, however I once testted it using a TL071 and it sounded much brighter, like a metal distortion pedal....not like this one can't do that stuff...)

RDF90
11-28-2005, 06:39 AM
so the keeley mods basically allow you to change it from a distortion to more of an overdrive?
and with the bass response thing, does it change the filter knob at all? Like it gets much bassier when you turn it all the way to the right and not as trebley all the way to the left as the stock? Or is it really not that noticable?

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-28-2005, 06:41 AM
the switch allows 3 different gain voicings

and the improved bass response allows a bassier feel - the stock rat doesnt have enough

RDF90
11-28-2005, 06:53 PM
what do you mean by gain voicings? like different levels of gain? Isn't that the difference between a distortion and an overdrive?

seljer
11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
what do you mean by gain voicings? like different levels of gain? Isn't that the difference between a distortion and an overdrive?

the switches changes the clipping diodes for different levels of clipping (or no clipping alltogether...), I haven't had a keely rat but I presume you can choose from "Regular Rat" and "Turbo Rat" type settings...that ProCo Duecetone thing also has this.

They're both pretty distortionish, not like changing from distortion to overdrive; but they still sound different and you have more choices.....

thenexthendrix
11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
the rat 2 is quite possiably the best sounding overdrive for my needs. I switched from a boss ME-50 because it sounded a little to digital but the natural overdrive from my amp sounds more digital then the Rat. (I am exaggerating of course but it is such a sweet tone) I would def reccomend it

RDF90
11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Is yours keeley modded? I don't know if I should get it. It's probably between this and a boss od-3 overdrive or blues driver or tubescreamer. Do you have a tube amp?

BlinkBlinkBlink
11-29-2005, 09:59 PM
nawh you guys have no taste :P the vintage rat is by far the best rat, matched only by maybe the deucetone, but only because you can run one rat into another. vintage rats go for 69.99 on musiciansfriend.com. by far one of the best distortions of today.

freewheelinbird
11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
ok definately get the proco rat 2.

i play lots of allman brothers (or rather kinda play along)
cream, hendrix, and most classic rock/blues. as long as its not AC/DC or journey :)

and this pedal works great. the distortion knob and volume knob put together well give an amazing sound. i can make my MARSHALL MG sound GOOD with this. i turn the amp reverb up to about 5, the distortion up to 5 or so, the rat's volume up to 6 and i've got something. it's great! anything below the 5 on volume i dont use because it hurts the sound. and i dont even bother with the filter knob, because it doesnt really change the tone the way pickup positions do, but rather waters down the treble, which sounds bad.

and if you need some good ole hendrix style feedback, when you hit a note, turn the rat's volume up gradually as the note fades and you get great feedback, although it is kidna hard to stop.

so 9/10, because my ONE complaint is that it is a BIT on the rough side, like i wish i could make it a bit smoother for a santana sound.

freewheelinbird
11-29-2005, 10:13 PM
however that rough thing is also a good quality in some ways because it adds attack to your solo.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
11-30-2005, 05:30 AM
nawh you guys have no taste :P the vintage rat is by far the best rat, matched only by maybe the deucetone, but only because you can run one rat into another. vintage rats go for 69.99 on musiciansfriend.com. by far one of the best distortions of today.

the keeley rat is a hot rodded rat - better

i have tube amps - the keeley rat works very well with them

RDF90
12-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Does the stock rat have good sustain? And how distorted can it get, like can it get some fuzz tones?

seljer
12-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Set the gain up and it sustains for ages
It can get more than enough distorted, and pretty fuzzy too (but I prefer my fuzzface for fuzz)

also, the tone knob is really useful, set at about 11oclock and the drive to about 10oclock and you have a kind of marshally setting...

RDF90
12-17-2005, 02:23 PM
That sounds good. So here's my dilemma I don't know whether I should get this rat (proabably keeley modded) when I am going to get a traynor ycv50 blue within a month or so. Would it be worth it at all?

I also already have a ds-1 which I will get rid of if I get the rat but I'm not sure if I should just get it modded instead of getting the rat (I'm still getting the amp though).

I'm also thinking about getting a keeley modded TS-9 the flexi mod. Does anybody know how this compares to the rat? How much gain can it get?