Only As I Lay Dying Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Only As I Lay Dying Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PickmeDude
11-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Throw it up for these guys... theyre one of the, if not the best, talented hardcore bans out there..

d_byrne23
11-22-2005, 12:00 AM
do u know what man, at first i thought they were just one of those scream nu metal bands, but honestly, ever since i downloaded and baught their discography, everything i could find, ive been totally digging them, their riffs, tims singing, the drumming etc...they definately are one of the more talented newer bands out there, its a tough genre, but me being a fan of mainly gothic metal like cradle etc, i still can throw on frail words collapse or shadows are security and bang heads to it, i dunno if thir considered hardcore? but they definately are a good band, the video for their new single through struggle is great too, id recommend checking that out..

martyr
11-22-2005, 12:07 AM
This thread = teh r0xz3rz

MattTheArsonist
11-22-2005, 06:02 AM
As I Lay Dying = teh suX0rz!1!!

StuartR
11-22-2005, 06:36 AM
If talent means generic then yeah.

PickmeDude
11-22-2005, 09:50 AM
listen dude... listen to the drummer ( jordan ) his double bass is f**** incredible theyre so good.. my band is playing with them january 13th.. I can't wait.. as i lay dying is probably the best screamo band out there.. both cd's kick asss

martyr
11-22-2005, 11:25 AM
listen dude... listen to the drummer ( jordan ) his double bass is f**** incredible theyre so good.. my band is playing with them january 13th.. I can't wait.. as i lay dying is probably the best screamo band out there.. both cd's kick asss

Oh my. I don't know how I can even think about areguing with that statement. Gosh, I wish people were as intelligent and well-rounded as you are. At the same time, I think that Bleeding Through might be more screamo, but I don't know...

:rolleyes:

hXcMacbeth3
11-22-2005, 12:21 PM
please dont let this turn into another a7x only thread

kaktusnpoop
11-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Lawlz at this thread

Gomorrah
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Throw it up for these guys... theyre one of the, if not the best, talented hardcore bans out there..

Haha. That's funny. Well, anyways, cheers for making this thread. Hopefully it will cut down on the amount of threads devoted to them.

Independent27
11-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Jordan isn't even good.

Combat
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
eh its probably good that we have one of these "only" threads for this band. theyre good, i think, i mean i can only listen to them so much before i get bored. but they are one of the leaders or the bands that generic metalcore bands follow. therefore i guess you could call them one of the leaders in the generic metalcore genre even though thats an oximoron.

MattTheArsonist
11-22-2005, 04:18 PM
You know, As I Lay Dying shouldn't even be in the hardcore section, they're ****ty Christian Metal. A Christian band shouldn't even be put in the hardcore category, a large factor of hardcore music is about being original and thinking for yourself and being yourself, which is the exact opposite about what Christianity is about.

shadows666
11-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Martyr, that's pretty rich hearing that from a "Three Inches In Blood" fan...

I love As I Lay Dyings energy released into their music. My mate disliked them right before he saw them on the Hell On Earth tour. I love "Frail Words Collapse", the guitars on that are so addictive. However, I don't find them heavy enough to head bang to.

Dude, 3 inches of blood is f*cking awesome!! They take that sh*tty screamo yell thing and combine it with power metal vocals and it just kicks you in the face when you hear it!! As i lay dying has nothin on them!!

Bleeding Black
11-22-2005, 04:32 PM
as i lay dying are t3rr1bLeEeE!1!!1

waldorphPRS41
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Wow. As I Lay Dying=Screamo=Never.

Has Many Issues
11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
They're pretty good, saw them in concert, kinda been growing out of them somewhat though.

LedZeppelin
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
^ Yeah, me too. They were great live but the more I listen to Frail Words, the more I dislike it. Shadows Are Security is better.

stratstrummer40
11-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh my. I don't know how I can even think about areguing with that statement. Gosh, I wish people were as intelligent and well-rounded as you are. At the same time, I think that Bleeding Through might be more screamo, but I don't know...

:haha that was great.

anyways, i used to listen to AILD but then I listened to some real hardcore. so i grew out of them.

kaktusnpoop
11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
As I Lay Dying just isn't really that good, they just sound like your everyday typical metalcore band

PickmeDude
11-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Jordan isn't even good.

im sorry but you're a, uhm.. ****ing dip****. dude jordan is the incredible..so is clint norris :) im sure u dont him either...

anyway they are still touring theyre new cd shadows are security.. dude dont say stupid things...

Well anyway, yeah dude.. this is always probably the best band to throw down to..

haters shut the **** up. :)

PickmeDude
11-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Correction They Arent Metal Core Retard..thats Completely Diff.

LedZeppelin
11-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Jordan sucks, end of story. I don't see why everybody loves him. Listen to some Cryptopsy, Nile or Through The Eyes Of The Dead for drumming that's truly incredible.

martyr
11-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Is a justification of Screamo/Emo-Violence in order for this thread, so we can weed out the slow kids who just don't know anything?

SilentSpectacle
11-23-2005, 12:39 AM
I'll admit I do have a guilty pleasure to listening to 94 Hours.

waldorphPRS41
11-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Is a justification of Screamo/Emo-Violence in order for this thread, so we can weed out the slow kids who just don't know anything?
I think we need it. Any band thats screams is considered screamo for some reason.

.:bleednomore:.
11-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Haha...Ohh this thread gave me a chuckle.
Just the title did, then i read the thread
and chuckled some more.

Anyways on AILD
a little while ago
i would listen to 94 hours
now i dont because
i listen to some other better music
so, i dont really like them

everytimeifry
11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
theyre good... definitely not the best in terms of originality, but i think their musicianship and live show are a step above

kaktusnpoop
11-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Correction They Arent Metal Core Retard..thats Completely Diff.

Are you kidding me? As I Lay Dying are THE most generic metalcore band

If you want good metalcore try out XDeathstarX or Converge or 100 Demons

PickmeDude
11-23-2005, 12:47 PM
metal core for example would be the dilinger escape plan... I didnt' realise this forum was ****ING STUPID...

theyre metal // hardcore.

Craigo
11-23-2005, 12:58 PM
metal core for example would be the dilinger escape plan... I didnt' realise this forum was ****ING STUPID...

Dude...

Dillinger = Mathcore. Never, no way metalcore.

PunkRawk1224
11-23-2005, 01:07 PM
pickmedude is officially the dumbest person to come in to this forum.

1. AILD sucks. they are generic metalcore, deal with it.
2. the drummer is nothing special, in fact, he's pretty much sub-par.
3. everything with screaming is not screamo, you obviously know nothing.

hXcMacbeth3
11-23-2005, 01:11 PM

congratulations on your 37th post ;)

kaktusnpoop
11-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Pickmedude has Nirvana as his avatar, does he even count as a human being?????

MattTheArsonist
11-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Nirvana's a good band.

Independent27
11-23-2005, 02:48 PM
im sorry but you're a, uhm.. ****ing dip****. dude jordan is the incredible..so is clint norris :) im sure u dont him either...

anyway they are still touring theyre new cd shadows are security.. dude dont say stupid things...

Well anyway, yeah dude.. this is always probably the best band to throw down to..

haters shut the **** up. :)

I'll stand behind my statement, thanks.

And yeah, led zep is totally right, I was going to say the same thing until I read that post.

PickmeDude
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Nirvana is a great band.. whats wrong with them? I like mostly hardcore and some other genre's of rock and dillinger is hard to explain actually dude..

they are like a genre of their own.. mathcore/metalcore they have jazz breakdowns and its wierd.. I dont know their style..

led zeppelin is fine dude I love them especially jimmy page... and jordan is a very good drummer dude you can't even deny it.. I dont even need to argue that

PickmeDude
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

1. AILD sucks. they are generic metalcore, deal with it.
2. the drummer is nothing special, in fact, he's pretty much sub-par.
3. everything with screaming is not screamo, you obviously know nothing.

Yay!! Clap your hands this is coming from a punk rock dude.. AILD doesnt suck, why dont u tell that to their countless number of fans.. the drummer isnt sub-par u dont know ****.. and noone said everything with screaming is screamo, YOU obviously know nothing *flips off*

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
11-23-2005, 04:42 PM

Are you sure about that? I mean we've had our fair share of idiots, xBeccax for example.

But despite this guy's attempts at making AILD seem like the best band in the world they're not. Never have been and never will be. Jordan is sub-par when compared to other drummers such as Flo from Cryptopsy and the guy from Nile (his name escapes me), same goes for the guitarist he isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination but compared to other guys he isn't that great. The vocals are terrible and the bass is just plain boring.

They do put on a reasonable live show I will admit that. But they are very, very generic and I can't listen to them at all.

PunkRawk1224
11-23-2005, 06:36 PM
^haha, you are right, we've had quite a few stupid people come in here. i guess we'll have to wait and see if he's truly worthy of that title.

Independent27
11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Dude I didn't mean Led Zeppelin are good (Yet they are.)

I meant I was agreeing with the user Led Zeppelin.

LedZeppelin
11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Are you sure about that? I mean we've had our fair share of idiots, xBeccax for example.

That username brings back memories...

...man I hated that bitch.

waldorphPRS41
11-23-2005, 10:06 PM
*flips off*
Haha you got him good. ;)

stealth_penguin
11-24-2005, 12:17 AM
As I Lay Dying just isn't really that good, they just sound like your everyday typical metalcore band
Yet you fail to illustrate your point.

kaktusnpoop
11-24-2005, 01:30 AM

I don't need to illustrate my point

Independent27
11-24-2005, 08:38 AM

His point is that they're terrible and every song sounds the same.

kaktusnpoop
11-24-2005, 11:15 AM
^Thanks

MattTheArsonist
11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Coming from the hardcore experts: As I Lay Dying is a boring, mundane, generic, and unoriginal metalcore band that is nothing special.

Coming from the "experts" on pop music: OMGZ AILD IZ SO hXC~!!11!!!!1!!

I think all the intelligent people know who to trust.

kaktusnpoop
11-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Coming from the hardcore experts: As I Lay Dying is a boring, mundane, generic, and unoriginal metalcore band that is nothing special.

Coming from the experts on pop music: OMGZ AILD IZ SO hXC~!!11!!!!1!!

I think all the intelligent people know who to trust.

I couldn't agree with you more

snave2008
11-24-2005, 05:18 PM
have nothing but love and respect for as i lay dying.

mr.joopy987
11-24-2005, 06:36 PM
I like As I Lie Dying, but I realise that there are far better bands out there. I can't stand people who listen to them and are like "OMG L0LZ DUBBLE KICKZ0RZ!!!!!!"

snave2008
11-24-2005, 07:06 PM
oh yes. i am very much aware that there are much better ands. but i love their style . and plus i am a christian and they are all christians so i just rub in peoples facces that my music isnt all about ripping a pigs head off and stuffing someones ass with it. or just killing myself.

martyr
11-24-2005, 08:09 PM
oh yes. i am very much aware that there are much better ands. but i love their style . and plus i am a christian and they are all christians so i just rub in peoples facces that my music isnt all about ripping a pigs head off and stuffing someones ass with it. or just killing myself.

Maybe you should be "very much aware" of your poor excuse for grammer and punctuation. This isn't your friend's "0mG3rz0z As I Gay Dying!111shiftkeyON3!111" chatroom, buddy.

PickmeDude
11-24-2005, 11:50 PM
dudes im not trying to make them look the best.. and yeah listen to me and listen to me good.

fast double pass, playing fast, that does NOT make you a good drummer.. what makes you a good drummer is playing with you're band mates and having it flow.. thats why I think he is a good drummer and yes they are many better drummers then jordan, but hes my favorite but i like his STYLE.

dont ****ing call me the dumbest person in the forum , that's bull you guys aren't getting what im saying

BUT OVERALL AS I LAY DYING ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.

PS- to the guy who said the bass parts were boring. Smells like teen spirit, one of the biggest songs ever had the easiest bass part in the worlddddd

<3.

snave2008
11-24-2005, 11:53 PM
martyr , why the **** should you worry about my grammar . ill talk however the **** i want. you shouldnt pay attention to the way i talk and pay attention to the message you ****in douchebag! and i know this isnt some chatroom , this is a damn UG forum.

stealth_penguin
11-25-2005, 03:37 AM
I don't need to illustrate my point
Then how do you prove that what u said is true?

MattTheArsonist
11-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Because anyone intelligent trusts his/her judgement.

kaktusnpoop
11-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Then how do you prove that what u said is true?

Cuz it is true, As I Lay Dying aren't really that good. There generic: Intro then to a Two Step then a common chug chug wana wana breakdown back to a two step, then occasionally a melodic chorus with the guitar player singing, and thats every song, I've listened to As I Lay Dying, and from day one I knew they were bad

LedZeppelin
11-25-2005, 02:16 PM
This thread is pathetic.

PunkRawk1224
11-25-2005, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=PickmeDude]
BUT OVERALL AS I LAY DYING ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.
[QUOTE]

being a piece of garbage band? yes, they are good at that.

and smells like teen spirit doesnt have anything to do with this. just cause its the biggest song ever doesnt mean its a good song.

11-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow 60 replys?
I thought this wouldnt last past like 15.
hahaha.

The Nameless666
11-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Nirvana's a good band.

i prefer pearl jam:)

on topic:

wow i didnt know people were acutally stupidd enough to get this screamo **** mixed up with metalcore....someone with a lot of time on their hands needs to write a book called "The Bible of Music Genres" and itll define every possible genre in it in high definition and it will constantly self update itsself when new genres come along

Bleeding Black
11-26-2005, 01:06 AM
wow 4 pages already.. this is gonna become just like the a7x thread

stealth_penguin
11-26-2005, 01:22 AM

on topic:

wow i didnt know people were acutally stupidd enough to get this screamo **** mixed up with metalcore....someone with a lot of time on their hands needs to write a book called "The Bible of Music Genres" and itll define every possible genre in it in high definition and it will constantly self update itsself when new genres come along
Yeah that'd be pretty tight.

MattTheArsonist
11-26-2005, 08:55 AM

on topic:

They're not really screamo, they're just corporate metalcore wannabes. LOLZORS. Screamo is ****e like Funeral Diner, Off Minor, Orchid, or Saetia.

As for Nirvana, They're the ones who got me into punk (from their influences) which eventually got me into hardcore and all the music I'm into now, so they hold a special place in my heart.

kaktusnpoop
11-26-2005, 11:00 AM
God do I miss Saetia

PunkRawk1224
11-26-2005, 02:16 PM

on topic:

actually, you would be the stupid one. as i lay dying is obviously metalcore, don't even try to say its screamo cause you have no ****ing idea what youre talking about. screamo doesn't mean screaming. hot cross and pg99 would be examples of screamo stuff, AILD is boring, generic metalcore. dont call them screamo.

PickmeDude
11-27-2005, 03:48 PM
punkrawk seriously dude that means a whole lot coming from a punk "rawker" like yourself.
and dude.. U can throw down to AILD ... theres nmot generic wow u ****ers are retarded , especially the ones who called jordan sub-par...

iloveibanez
11-27-2005, 04:12 PM
AILD is awesome, I wouldn't say most talented band, but I do like their sound though.

waldorphPRS41
11-27-2005, 04:40 PM
punkrawk seriously dude that means a whole lot coming from a punk "rawker" like yourself.
and dude.. U can throw down to AILD ... theres nmot generic wow u ****ers are retarded , especially the ones who called jordan sub-par...
Shut up, he's been here way longer than you and he knows what he's talkng about. Usernames=nothing.

11-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Shut up, he's been here way longer than you and he knows what he's talkng about. Usernames=nothing.

Totally agreed.
I cant believe i chose this username.
soooooooooo ghey.
hhaha.

Dont try to flame someone whos been here longer then you
and knows what theyre talking about
because then youll have every regular here flaming you.
So just shut the **** up now and stop trying to change peoples opinion about this ****ty band.

stealth_penguin
11-27-2005, 06:53 PM
I agree with bleednomore don't flame someone who's been here longer than you. Although I happen to like AILD.

PickmeDude
11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
wow u guys are more ****ing retarded..

WOW IVE BEEN A MEMBER OF THE FORUM LONGER SO NOW IM BETTER THAN YOU.
jesus what is wrong with you people, noone gives a ****

he doesnt know what he is talking about at all.

kaktusnpoop
11-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Yeah he does, you're an idiot

PickmeDude
11-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Oo Ok
So If He Says Led Zeppelin Is Generic U ****ing Retarrds Would Believe It...

Every Aild Song Has A Dif Outline, Its Not Generic, It's Different ...

kaktusnpoop
11-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah man Zeppelin is generic (Sarcastic Tone), just like you're bringing them up in the Hardcore Forum

Just get it through your head As I Lay Dying blows, just beacuse your bought their shirt (XL probably) at Hot Topic and saw them at Ozzfest doesn't mean their amazing.

PickmeDude
11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
**** ozzfest i didnt go

my band played with them in dallas

i wear a YL/AS you fat ****.

MattTheArsonist
11-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Goody goody gumdrops, I wear Adult Small shirts too! OH NOSE!

11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
**** ozzfest i didnt go

Wait...Ok
So you call him a fat ****
when you havent even seen him.
Good job man.

This thread has become a disaster.
Why doesnt Def close this?

EDIT: heres why Def doesnt close this hahaha.

"...I've been really busy with my band, study and girlfriend lately.. I've decided to quit modding on UG since I'm hardly around."

..Well ok, some mod should close this.

mr.joopy987
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Longer Membership= Bigger penis

yours= (|=3

his= (|===============3

FACT!

funkmasterswede
11-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Wow this thread is entertaining. AILD are just subpar generic metalcore I used to kind of like them about a year ago but then I listened to more creative music and I realized they use the same guitar riffs and structure in every one of their songs. People stop worshipping bands that only play in one key, get some originality "OMG AILD are so screamo", what the hell is that? Learn what a genre is before you say a band is a part of that genre.

martyr
11-28-2005, 08:49 PM
This thread is awesome. I wonder how long it'll take "PickmeDude" to register under a different name, learn something about the music that should be talked about in this forum, and not be such an ignorant bastard.

kaktusnpoop
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
This thread is awesome. I wonder how long it'll take "PickmeDude" to register under a different name, learn something about the music that should be talked about in this forum, and not be such an ignorant bastard.

Wow, I was thinking the exact same thing

**** ozzfest i didnt go

Oh. and let me start on how much of a fatass I am. I am such a fat ass that I know that As I Lay Dying blows

stealth_penguin
11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Everyone can be ignorant at times.

martyr
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Everyone can be ignorant at times.
Yeah, but this kid's straight up retarded, I mean seriously, calling As I Lay Dying Creative and not generic. I seriously don't understand how anyone can believe that. He's been brainwashed by the MySpace harlots, and the scene in general.

It's no longer about knowing what's wrong, but about becoming what's right.

LedZeppelin
11-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I semi-like AILD and I'll admit they sound like every other metalcore band ever. They just happened to be one of the bands that got me into heavy music and the first show I ever went to so I kind of hold a special place for them.

Gomorrah
11-28-2005, 10:11 PM

Silly me, I always thought that there were thousands of other bands playing the same riffs with the same breakdowns and the same lyrics as As I Lay Dying. Thank you for showing me the light. I should really listen to this screamo band more often.

GuitarSacrifice
11-29-2005, 12:00 PM
PickmeDude, I like (infact love) As i lay dying, but man, you dont see me acting like a fricken retard, get a ****IN LIFE!!. Honestly, theirs no need to act like a dickhead, they dont like em, who cares, its their opinion and let em keep it. Stop being so ignorant.

Me personally, i enjoy listening to As i lay dying, i like the guitar riffs, i like the drumming (not because its double kick, damn i hate people who say specific drummers are good cause they use double kick - i.e Joey Jordison), i like the vocals and lyrics, i like everything about em really. I find their music enjoyable and good to listen to. I really dont care if they sound generic to me or not, i still like em!?

dead_kennedy
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
they're generic as hell, and aren't really creative at all. but i still like them. just because lol.

whereas this pickmedude is wasting his time trying to defend them.

Jarrott
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I like As I Lay Dying but I certainly wouldn't defend them in regards to being generic.

slashwyldepage
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
:haha

thier drummer isnt half as talented as any true metal drummer.

http://worshipdepraved.com/sounds/return.mp3

PickmeDude
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
yeah everyone has their own musical opinion.. and alot of metal has the same riff's.. as i lay dying doesnt play in the same key always, ill admit mostly though. dude dont even start for some people half of hardcore sounds the exact same thing but its the little things that matter.. if you dont like them then uhm, get out of this thread?

anyways, ill put up with this , but you guys are ignorant.
he called me fat, i did back ( to clear that up )
they arent generic ( ALOT of thier songs are differnent , vocals wise theya re generic )
"they arent creative" ( suck my dick dude, yes they are )
He's been brainwashed by the MySpace harlots ( i dont have a myspace, that site is for insecure 13 yr old girls with no life )
jordan bieng sub par ( MOST OF HARDCORE HAS SAME STYLE OF DAMN DRUMMING, HES GOOD FOR WHAT HE DEOSNT EVEN THOUGH ALOT OF PPL DO IT )

There hope that cleared that up, AILD isnt even my fav. band .. Atreyu is..

Gomorrah
11-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Hahahahahaha.

waldorphPRS41
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
There hope that cleared that up, AILD isnt even my fav. band .. Atreyu is..
:eek: Ohh I hope you are joking.

martyr
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Remember when I said this thread is awesome... Yeah, totally still is.

:p:

LedZeppelin
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I like it when people can't admit their favorite band is a generic, talentless piece of crap. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And, oh yes, I just called both As I Lay Dying AND Atreyu generic, talentless pieces of crap.

11-30-2005, 09:00 PM
*bursts out laughing*

AcrosstheTracks
12-02-2005, 02:27 AM
I agree with the whole generic label. As I Lay Dying proves that metalcore has reached a saturation point above the underground level. While I like the new CD (Darkest Nights, Repeating Yesterday, Meaing in Tragedy) to an extent, it really does nothing for me. The only true metalcore CD that has been getting any play time in my rotation is Alaska.

Bloodletting77
12-02-2005, 03:04 PM

as i lay dying isn't screamo. they're still good though.

killingyourkind
12-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Has anyone heard their very old stuff and no im not talkin about frail words collapse im talkin about beneath the encasin of ashes cd that was released on plauto records its so ****in different from how they sound today but it sounds great back the there singer sounded like the guy from zao a little bit and there breakdowns were crazier back then too so if u like these guys i would suggest u check that cd out i think its out of print though so good luck gettin but yea ne way i think there new stuff is ok i mean its not the greatest thing ever mand but ill listen to it i like there older suff better.

MPD~NYC
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
well as i lay dying are somewhat generic and although i am a pretty big fan (own both cds ahve seen thejm live multiple times) i do admit that they do tend to reuse the same riffs in different order...but they were one of the first bands to play this style and they deserve some credit for bringing metalcore to the popularity it enjoys today...and there drummer is ****in sick and the whole band puts on an amazing live show

AS I LAY DYING!
06-17-2006, 02:07 PM
As I Lay Dying = teh suX0rz!1!!
dude this band is probably one of the best hardcore metal bands out there today, if the best. if you ever say that again ill rip ur ****ing head off and feed it to a chinchilla

StuartR
06-17-2006, 02:37 PM
not hardcore, not metal and don't be a dick.

They're one of the most boring bands.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
06-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Damn, I forgot this thread even existed. It does remind me of all the cool shit that used to happen with the regulars note Pg.2. It sucks not having a real community vibe in here anymore. I also love the way this never got closed because Eddy had stopped modding and I wasn't modded yet. Do half the people in here even post here anymore?

StuartR
06-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Theres a few but thats about it I think, lol.

You're right about the community although is are still some cool people about.

jazzmetalguitar
06-17-2006, 07:01 PM
the drummer is not ****ing amazing....he plays ****ing fast.....not fast AND offbeat.....just fast, machine gun double bass

honkey
06-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I dont know, I used to think some of their songs were really talented, then I liked at the tabs and they were pretty much all drop C and like this

e-
B-
G-
D-0-------- 0-0-0-0
A-0-------- 0-3-5-7
E-0-0-0-0-0-3-5-7

The bass is kinda simple too, The drums and vocals are the only things that really stand out to me.

LedZeppelin
06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Jordan isn't even good.

+1.

Shadow_fury
06-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Lol, you said they were screamo in here. and hardcore in another one. Theyre amazing tho, i agree. One of the best metallcore/hardcore bands ever

[ Lunar Tear ]
06-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Apart from the fact that all the songs are similar, they're a pretty good band.

They're awesome to listen to on custom mixes, but listening to their CDs really gets old.

synestershadows
03-29-2008, 03:02 AM
1. all u ****in haters just get the **** out.
2. yes theyre christian metalcore.
3. theyre ****in awesome

Internal Chaos
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Ehh...

I used to like them when I was in my generic metalcore faze, but then I started listening to some other styles of metalcore I preferred and ended up leaving AILD behind.

I can't say I severely miss them.

Anarion614
03-29-2008, 05:55 PM
This is a freakin old thread....

I hope they keep going the direction they are with the new album. I really liked it.

Amazing live show, also.

synestershadows
03-29-2008, 09:10 PM
1. all u ****in haters just get the **** out.
2. yes theyre christian metalcore. who cares.
3. theyre ****in awesome
i just had to put that in there

WILDWAYNE001
03-29-2008, 11:06 PM
IDk I like some of their songs pretty good band...

Perpetual Burn
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
One of my fave metalcore bands. Not the greatest breakdowns but I still love em'.

synestershadows
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
One of my fave metalcore bands. Not the greatest breakdowns but I still love em'.
my favorite breakdown band is august burns red. ****in epic. but i still love aild.

Anarion614
07-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Woo, going to see them for the 2nd time on Monday!

WILDWAYNE001
07-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Can't wait to see these guys at warped tour!!!

magneto6
07-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm not a 'core fan at all but damn their last album was great. I went back and listened to their earlier material and didn't like it. Hopefully their next album is a progression of the last one.

s13driftaz
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
The best album is shadows. aobu is a glimpse of how mainstream theyre starting to get. awesome band though. probably my fav.

WILDWAYNE001
07-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Seen them at warped tour in Detroit yesterday what a great showww. I almost puke on some ppl and I climbed up this light pole and the lead singer flip me off pretty sweet. One of my friends came out with a drum stick also... Very fun tho

TheBDanAbstract
07-19-2008, 05:46 PM
The best album is shadows. aobu is a glimpse of how mainstream theyre starting to get. awesome band though. probably my fav.

yes, because when i turn on the radio or mtv, all i ever hear is thrash influenced metalcore

asilivestanding
07-23-2008, 12:42 AM
OMG i love this band lol

boyan89
07-27-2008, 03:58 AM
they are defenitely not hardcore, but otherwise a good band.

Phoenix322
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
So many ignorant people in this thread.

First off, this whole "they're generic" crap doesn't make much sense. "OMG they sound like everything else in the metalcore!"....Gee, I can't imagine how bands might sound somewhat similar in the SAME GENRE. Every metalcore band I listen to, I usually match up to AILD, and no one is really as good to me, especially riff wise. They're lyrics are also some of the best in metal. They usually send a message, teach you something, or give you something to think about. And no, I'm not Christian and I don't really look at AILD as a christian band, despite them being one. I wouldn't go out of my way to call them unique, they're just the best at what they do. But that's my opinion.

Secondly, anyone saying that they're not talented is just plain stupid. You can't do what they do and not be talented. Simple as that. Are they the most talented metal band? Not even close, but they're still good. And I hope you all do know that Tim can scream, sing, play bass, play guitar, and drum(www.myspace.com/austriandeathmachine to hear some of his playing on all of those instruments) fairly well. He even has a solo or two on there. Jordan is exceptional on drums, and Nick and Phil always have great riffs, and the bassist, Josh, has decent clean vocals. So are they talented? Duh.

Not creative? Again, how are you one of the most popular metalcore bands today, writing lyrics and riffs, making records, and not be creative? Oh yeah, it's not possible.

To people saying "they're not real metal"....Please shut up. Just because what you listen to might be "heavier", doesn't mean anything less heavy isn't metal. This is why we have those things I mentioned eariler called "genres".

This thread is for people who think AILD is good. Besides, I can't imagine why people would want to go out of their way and tell people who obviously enjoy the band's music, that the band they like sucks...Like they're really going to change people's minds and do anything but piss people off. Honestly, what's the point? Don't like them? Then don't listen to them, and don't bring your ignorant statements here.

XCount Me InX
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
tbh

alot of bands nowadays are begining to sound like one another
with that many bands out there...its hard to be original and different

Internal Chaos
07-28-2008, 02:52 AM
So many ignorant people in this thread.

First off, this whole "they're generic" crap doesn't make much sense. "OMG they sound like everything else in the metalcore!"....Gee, I can't imagine how bands might sound somewhat similar in the SAME GENRE. Every metalcore band I listen to, I usually match up to AILD, and no one is really as good to me, especially riff wise. They're lyrics are also some of the best in metal. They usually send a message, teach you something, or give you something to think about. And no, I'm not Christian and I don't really look at AILD as a christian band, despite them being one. I wouldn't go out of my way to call them unique, they're just the best at what they do. But that's my opinion.

Secondly, anyone saying that they're not talented is just plain stupid. You can't do what they do and not be talented. Simple as that. Are they the most talented metal band? Not even close, but they're still good. And I hope you all do know that Tim can scream, sing, play bass, play guitar, and drum(www.myspace.com/austriandeathmachine to hear some of his playing on all of those instruments) fairly well. He even has a solo or two on there. Jordan is exceptional on drums, and Nick and Phil always have great riffs, and the bassist, Josh, has decent clean vocals. So are they talented? Duh.

Not creative? Again, how are you one of the most popular metalcore bands today, writing lyrics and riffs, making records, and not be creative? Oh yeah, it's not possible.

To people saying "they're not real metal"....Please shut up. Just because what you listen to might be "heavier", doesn't mean anything less heavy isn't metal. This is why we have those things I mentioned eariler called "genres".

This thread is for people who think AILD is good. Besides, I can't imagine why people would want to go out of their way and tell people who obviously enjoy the band's music, that the band they like sucks...Like they're really going to change people's minds and do anything but piss people off. Honestly, what's the point? Don't like them? Then don't listen to them, and don't bring your ignorant statements here.
Firstly, popularity does not equal talent. Recording deals are based on nothing but timing, and getting yourself out there. Persistence is the key. There are thousands of incredibly talented bands out there who will never get signed.

Secondly, the 'genre' thing doesn't apply. Expand the genres. Look at Between The Buried and me. They expanded the genre of metalcore by putting more thought into the music. Just because they're the same genre, it doesn't mean they should sound the same. Look at hardcore, deathcore, grindcore, death metal, thrash metal, progressive metal, black metal, etc. There are heaps of bands that sound the same, but there are also some great standouts, who do something interesting. They don't all sound the same.

Make sure your arguments are more solid before you defend a band widely disliked in this forum.

WARLOCK123
10-18-2008, 12:03 PM
i might be picking up some of their albums. which are the best 2 i should go for.

recklessnick
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
^the one with confined, darkest nights and through struggle.

aild are coming to singapore next month! hope i can come up with the 95bucks by then

Haymaker17
10-19-2008, 12:18 AM
frail words collapse and their new one is pretty good

Revenger#11
10-19-2008, 03:42 AM
^^^
Frail Words Collapse + An Ocean Between Us are my top 2 as well

--ATREYUROCK--
10-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Frail Words Collapse = one of the greatest metalcore albums ever :)

My...second fave band of all time :peace:

Thebiz
01-07-2009, 12:04 AM
It kind of sucks the Christian community is condemning AILD for playing Ozzfest with Lamb Of God and Behemoth (both of which have anti-religious lyrics in their music). Music should be enjoyed regardless of that band's religion.

clincher09
02-05-2009, 02:24 AM
I really don't understand any hate towards this band, I bought An Ocean Between Us a few months ago and it is a fantastic record. I seriously doubt the naysayers are listening without a preconcieved notion that this band sucks.

master_exploder
02-09-2009, 06:21 AM
yes, because when i turn on the radio or mtv, all i ever hear is thrash influenced metalcore

genius :D

AILD are metalcore, just for all you ****wits who called them harcore :no:

WARLOCK123
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
i was wondering what sort of settings should i use for AILD on my peavey vypyr 75. mostly for an ocean between us and shadows are security

VivaLaJam
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
i was wondering what sort of settings should i use for AILD on my peavey vypyr 75. mostly for an ocean between us and shadows are security

Well on my Roland cube i've got a pretty good tone, this might be okay:

Gain - 8
Bass - 4
Mids - 7
Treble - 7

I have the tone knob down just a little bit on my RR3.

WARLOCK123
03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Well on my Roland cube i've got a pretty good tone, this might be okay:

Gain - 8
Bass - 4
Mids - 7
Treble - 7

I have the tone knob down just a little bit on my RR3.

Thebiz
03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
genius :D

AILD are metalcore, just for all you ****wits who called them harcore :no:

I never really thought of AILD as hardcore...just hardcore-influenced metal...they have more thrash elements than hardcore elements.

demonsage
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
honestly about this band i wouldn't care about em if there guitarist and drummer weren't so amazing! i love the drum and guitar bridge in 94 hours!

Kaasflipje
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
My favorite band. Very good lyric and instrumental wise.

brad777no
06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
You know, As I Lay Dying shouldn't even be in the hardcore section, they're ****ty Christian Metal. A Christian band shouldn't even be put in the hardcore category, a large factor of hardcore music is about being original and thinking for yourself and being yourself, which is the exact opposite about what Christianity is about.

...Yeah, good job making hardcore music stereotyped as anti religious. Maybe a large portion of the hardcore music you listen to is that way, but that doesn't make the hardcore genre against Christian values. The difference between metal and Christian Metal is lyrics. Hardcore and metalcore have no certain guidelines on what the lyrics are supposed to be. That was a stupid headstrong statement on your part.

handbanana
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah matthearsonist are you retarted? While i extremely dislike this band, they do have a place in the hardcore forum seeing as they are in my opinion like the poster band for cliche metalcore.

likeomgtehtuck!
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
why do all these threads keep getting bumped :(

blubolt09
06-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Okay, who's voice do you guys prefer?
Clint (the old bassist) or Josh (new bassist)

I prefer Clint's vocals, but Josh has a pretty good voice also

andyscoot
06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
I saw these at Bloodstock, and they went down really well. Which is saying something, as its primarily a Power Metal festival. Their studio stuff is really good too if you want generic Metalcore. Its not standout, but it still sounds good.

DiSTuRBeD -26-
08-31-2009, 01:42 PM
bump.

I love these guys. An ocean between us is the balls. The sound of Truth has a great solo as well.

Nautkyn
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
We have to respect what they started, the way i see it, metalcore wasnt created by as i lay dying, but was "developted" by them. yes most of the riffs may sound generic after you listen to them for a while, but i remember listen to them for the first time, and actually thinking they where great.
now after iv listened to many metalcore bands, i can say they are crap, i mean the drummer... isnt that great of a deal, the vocalist sings almost same way in every song.
i dont worship them, but i respect for what they acomplished, and the path they opened to alot of bands out there today.

xRenegadEx
09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll always have a place for AILD. I prefer them over a lot of the stuff coming out these days.

DiSTuRBeD -26-
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I just picked up An Ocean Between Us at FYE :heart:

falconthefirst
09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
All haters just f*ck off. Really starting to piss me off. If AILD is too "generic" for you, f*ck off and listen to your unique, "different" bullsh*t. It's not generic, it's just what metalcore is supposed to sound like. If you don't like it f*ck off and listen to your Jonas Brothers. Nobody really gives a sh*t about what you think we have heard it enough times already. F*cking generic. We get the f*cking point.

Nautkyn
09-05-2009, 04:15 PM
All haters just f*ck off. Really starting to piss me off. If AILD is too "generic" for you, f*ck off and listen to your unique, "different" bullsh*t. It's not generic, it's just what metalcore is supposed to sound like. If you don't like it f*ck off and listen to your Jonas Brothers. Nobody really gives a sh*t about what you think we have heard it enough times already. F*cking generic. We get the f*cking point.

Metalcore is generic if you want it to be, listen to all the remains, i dont like the clean vocals, but the rest is great, vocals change and adabt to the music, he also sings along with the melody,tries difirent things.
the drummer is very good with the double bass. guitar is very melodic, doesnt consist on those "dry notes" cant explain very well.
AILD could be much more, and they are all to blame, the guitar riffs are the same in some point, its "dry notes"(example trough struggle, elegy) dont know how to explain, , they could do something more... "flowwy"(example killrbuckeye, his riffs are very melodic and nice,and the guitar from al that remains.. pretty melodic)
the vocals, ... damn sound all the same,from music to music, he seems to be singing same song
the drummer :S, wont go there, he could do much better.
thats my idea of generic. after some time, they get booring..., have you listened to theyr first albums, same riffs on on, i know for some people that isnt a problem, for me it is.. gets anoying.
no one sayd anything about jonas brothers...

i used the example of all that remains,cause i dont listen much to metalcore.
more deathcore or metal ,judas priest,iron maiden, some black dhalia murder, as blood runs black :D. after embracing these bands AILD is very generic

SeveredSurvival
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Most hardcore is pretty generic too though....

Anyways, I find myself enjoying AILD one of my main pathways into Metal.

falconthefirst
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah I've heard of Killrbuckeye, he has some AILD covers too.
Anyway I still don't think they're generic. One of the best Metalcore bands out there, IMO.

likeomgtehtuck!
09-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah I've heard of Killrbuckeye, he has some AILD covers too.
Anyway I still don't think they're generic. One of the best Metalcore bands out there, IMO.

youre a prick.

go listen to converge.
misery signals also kicks the **** out of aild.

on a non-bashing note.. lol at the first page in this thread

IROn 5L1nKY
10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Ok, so I have a serious question to ask here if everybody can stop fighting and pissing themselves for a moment? This is an AILD thread, so where better to take a question about AILD tone?
What would I have to do to reach similar results with my own tone to get the sound they have on the first 20/30 seconds or so of "SEPARATION". I really love the way the guitar just sounds distant, almost low quality, it's a really cool effect. I'm guessing that there's some post-editing going on... let me know what your ideas are...

lambofgodowns
10-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I just picked up An Ocean Between Us at FYE :heart:

this album is AMAZING!

on another note, why can't anyone spell in this thread? haha

perfectchaos23
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
An Ocean Between Us is probably my favorite song of all time that or Confined

Amuro Jay
11-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Sorry, I saw this post at the top of the page and I just thought I'd say, Shadows was probably one of their worst albums. Everything is so bland and repetetive. Few good songs on there, though.Ok, so I have a serious question to ask here if everybody can stop fighting and pissing themselves for a moment? This is an AILD thread, so where better to take a question about AILD tone?
What would I have to do to reach similar results with my own tone to get the sound they have on the first 20/30 seconds or so of "SEPARATION". I really love the way the guitar just sounds distant, almost low quality, it's a really cool effect. I'm guessing that there's some post-editing going on... let me know what your ideas are...
Sounds like they're using the bridge pickup, probably with the volume knob turned down a little bit on the guitar. Also, they most likely have their overdrive pedals turned off with little gain on their amp, or their overdrive pedals on with very low drive. I can experiment with my Gearbox software tomorrow and figure it out for sure, but for now, this is my guess.

The Primer
11-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I saw this post at the top of the page and I just thought I'd say, Shadows was probably one of their worst albums. Everything is so bland and repetetive. Few good songs on there, though.
Sounds like they're using the bridge pickup, probably with the volume knob turned down a little bit on the guitar. Also, they most likely have their overdrive pedals turned off with little gain on their amp, or their overdrive pedals on with very low drive. I can experiment with my Gearbox software tomorrow and figure it out for sure, but for now, this is my guess.

Agreed on the Shadows part. 100%. I enjoy the firust 2 songs or so, then it goes downhill.

I'd go with AOBU was my favorite album. Nothing Left, Within Destruction, and The Sound of Truth are all fun songs.

Thebiz
12-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Frail Words Collapse and An Ocean Between Us are my favorites by them. Shadows Are Security was a decent effort, but it was really generic -core.

MetalBreakdown
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Okay, I think I will start with this before I go on my rant:

-If no one can agree excactly what kind of Metal AILD is, then are they really too generic? :confused:

-Saying Jordan isn't a good drummer is kinda stupid, because there are plenty of bands that play drums that aren't AX7 skill level without people telling them they suck (e.g. Prettymuch all classic-rock bands). Besides, Jordan keeps a rythm with his cymbals or double bass, while using a thrash-style beat with his snare and toms. Personally, I like that! :D

-AILD don't need to be different in order to make good music. Some bands try hard to be different like mastodon/slipknot/tool. They may be innovative (in fact they are genious when it comes to being different), but sometimes, it doesn't really matter. (after all, there are at least 20 different metal bands that try to sound like Metallica) :rolleyes:

-Last but not least, there was someone who said something along the lines of: Bands that are christian usually let it get in the way of their music and they turn into pop. (this is where I go into my rant) :devil:

Christian bands, in general, aren't that special, here are some bands that are christian, but don't let it crap on their music styles.
1. Papa Roach. (Jacoby writes lyrics which reflect, but aren't ruled by his christain views.)
2. Linkin Park. (They were just dudes making fun music, and they never rub their christainity in your face)
3. Alice Cooper ('nuff sedd)
4. Ozzy Osbourne, Dave Mustaine Creed (I'm not sure If they're even christians)

AILD knows that one of the big things in metal is sounding evil. AILD looks at that and says "thats stupid, why should we use the same elements as every other Metal band, especialy when it could 'crap on our music'". AILD is christian just like Slipknot is atheist, AX7 is agnostic, and Maralyn Manson is....probably atheist too. :cool:

anyways....AILD is the first artist to make an album, of which I liked every song. :)

xX<3NickJonasx
01-16-2010, 01:07 AM
As I Dye Liening?

MetalBreakdown
01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
you do? you poor thing! :rolleyes:

kpatterson14206
01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I saw these at Bloodstock, and they went down really well. Which is saying something, as its primarily a Power Metal festival. Their studio stuff is really good too if you want generic Metalcore. Its not standout, but it still sounds good.

I think we should have a world filter on these forums so you can't say "generic" or "cliche". I'm sure if we did the number of posts would be reduced drastically.

I know maybe 3 people that actually like AILD, so I'm not sure how they could ever be generic/cliche. Seeing as they are pretty much the biggest metalcore band there is, you could argue that the rest of the metalcore genre imitates them.

I don't get it, if I like a certain style of music (metalcore) then obviously I would like the bands that play similar styles. Why is that generic? I'd rather like a band that conforms to a style I like then a band who goes out of it's way to sound "unique" and ends up being terrible.

Phoenix322
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I think we should have a world filter on these forums so you can't say "generic" or "cliche". I'm sure if we did the number of posts would be reduced drastically.

I know maybe 3 people that actually like AILD, so I'm not sure how they could ever be generic/cliche. Seeing as they are pretty much the biggest metalcore band there is, you could argue that the rest of the metalcore genre imitates them.

I don't get it, if I like a certain style of music (metalcore) then obviously I would like the bands that play similar styles. Why is that generic? I'd rather like a band that conforms to a style I like then a band who goes out of it's way to sound "unique" and ends up being terrible.

Filter out those words and metalcore disappears from UG.

Have you ever stopped and thought about just how similar a lot of metalcore is? That's why some people hate on it like they do...because it's often times TOO similar.

I don't really know of any metalcore bands that changed their sound to something "unique". Different from their last album yes, but unique? Nah.

You know "maybe 3 people" that actually like AILD but they're the "biggest metalcore band" there is?

AILD is one of the more well known metalcore bands certainly, but the "biggest" metalcore band? If I had to pick one I'd probably say Killswitch Engage or Bullet For My Valentine. I don't really care for those bands too much personally, but from my experience they seem to be more popular/mainstream then AILD.

I like metalcore and all, but it's nearly impossible to defend it from the "generic/cliche" label that people have branded it...because most of it is just that , generic, and either done before or better by someone else.

Robbiekira
01-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi!

AS I LAY DYING - LOSING SIGHT (GUITAR COVER)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlr68Nafu_A

DARKEST NIGHTS (GUITAR COVER)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxxHQk6KbI

Please rate and comment:)
Let tha hammer fall:P:D

123matt321
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/saraholutz/AILDCV2010.jpg

Metal Blade Records is proud to announce AS I LAY DYING will be releasing there 5th studio album THE POWERLESS RISE on May 11/10!
They have also announced their first show in Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy on July 17/10 headlining the Cool tour.

millarso
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I think this new album should be pretty amazing compared to their other material but I find it a little odd that you posted this now. The release date has been available for quite a while now. Just sayin'

brandon2784
05-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah lots of metalcore is super generic sometimes but so is alot lot of other s**t. I dont know how many f**kin s**tty a** rock bands do pretty much just power chords... thats it! oh wait verse! palm mutes now!! wow. skills. chorus? power chords! sooooo many bands do this!! stuff is really getting to the point where almost everything is generic, if your good you just sound LIKE something else, hardly anyone is super original without sounding like crap. also i think it has a lot to do with what you listen to... like when i hear punk it ALL sounds REALLY similar, same goes for rock, rap, hip hop... wtf ever! same when i play cannibal corpse then like deicide in front of my friends that don't listen to metal its always "its all sounds the same!" someone said... forgot who.... but anyway it was something along the lines of "you know your doing something right if most people either love it or hate it." I believe that to be true as much as i HATE rap, they gotta be doing something right to have so many people love it then so many (very different) people hate it. lets face it we are all different. shaa-bam

the memory
05-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I've never posted in here before but I've been a fan of these guys for a while now. Acquired the new album yesterday and its flat out amazing. Definitely a shift in musical direction but it feels very natural and much better to me!

SeveredSurvival
05-02-2010, 12:12 AM
New album owns.

nashawa
05-02-2010, 01:25 AM
The first 4 pages of this thread contain some of the most entertaining reading material I've even come across.

zezimathehero
05-02-2010, 01:49 AM
This thread is gold. Please never let this die. For the sake of the future.

Thebiz
05-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Might be going to see these guys on the Cool Tour, though I'm mainly going for Cancer Bats, blessthefall, BTBAM, The Acacia Strain and to see who the hell is drumming/singing for Underoath. I've listened to Parallels from the new album and it doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't seem much different from anything else they've done.

millarso
05-02-2010, 04:11 AM
The first 4 pages of this thread contain some of the most entertaining reading material I've even come across.
I had to read them after you said that.
It literally hurts me to know that there are such ignorant people in the world.
"They're not metalcore... they're metal/hardcore"... seriously, am I missing something there?
I feel like these guys get a worse rap than they deserve, but they do recycle some riffs, I'll just have to wait until I get my hands on the new album, see if they get away from that at all.

Phoenix322
05-02-2010, 04:54 AM
I tabbed out the verse riff for "Parallels" on Guitar Pro if anyone wants it. I only did the verse riff because A) It's easy and B) I'm too lazy to tab out the whole song and I'll just wait for someone else to do it :D

the memory
05-02-2010, 07:39 AM
To be honest, I always really liked As I Lay Dying because I felt they leaned towards a more thrash based sound than a lot of "metalcore" bands or whateverrrrr

Adam124
05-02-2010, 08:22 AM
The first 4 pages did make me lol.

I can understand were they are coming from though, Shadows are security was very generic. Having said that AOBU was ****ing amazing and from what I'v heard from the new album it's even better.

There transition has definetely been a good thing.

SeveredSurvival
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
The first couple of pages were absolutely hilarious.

WARLOCK123
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty psyched for the new album, sounds great, more solos as well which is good (from what I heard of the sample track).

Anyway, I find it hard to comprehend the people calling them generic, as far as I'm aware AILD were one of the bands to popularize metalcore.

millarso
05-02-2010, 03:19 PM
The first 4 pages did make me lol.

I can understand were they are coming from though, Shadows are security was very generic. Having said that AOBU was ****ing amazing and from what I'v heard from the new album it's even better.

There transition has definetely been a good thing.
As far as creativity, I thought that An Ocean Between Us was far more creative and well-rounded than their previous material, but it was missing a little energy on some songs. My friend ripped this album already and I've listened to a couple of tracks. The new album seems to retain that creativity while infusing a lot more energy into it. I think the production value is far better as well.

the memory
05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I'll agree with that ^^^

I always felt there was quite a bit of energy though, but they are definitely even more creative this time round. I guess that comes with having more time to write the album

godsmackdone
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
The production is absolutely astounding. Adam D. seems to be a much better producer at this point than a songwriter for KSE. The layers of guitar goodness on some of these tracks makes my ears want to cream.

Jawkster
05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
The new album is amazing.

Dimefan69
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
The Plague is just brutal. The rest of it is good as well. I can't complain. It's nothing too breakthrough, but an awesome Metalcore album. Though, to be honest, I didn't hear many breakdowns, which I like.

Amuro Jay
05-05-2010, 01:21 AM
How's the quality of the leak? I heard it sucked.

Low quality = not cool, man.

millarso
05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
The songs that my buddy grabbed sound pretty good. Maybe I'm just naive when it comes to sound quality. Anyone listened to "Anodyne Sea" yet? It has one of the best breakdowns I've heard in an AILD song.

Shreddinkevin
05-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Im seeing them July 14th!! Cant wait

the memory
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
The second track is probably my favourite so far! Its bad ass

WARLOCK123
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Is the album streaming somewhere, or is it just a leak? If its the latter then I'll wait till release.

Dimefan69
05-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The album is leaked and the quality is great, for downloading i mean.

the memory
05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Its really good quality but I think its a little on the quiet side?

WARLOCK123
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh well, found most of it on YouTube. Have to say its sounding great. Not listening to all of it as I want to save some for when I buy it. But the guitar work is really good. Actually scratch that. The band as a whole have stepped up to a whole new level imo.

1crazyboy7
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
The leak I got said it was cd quality but it couldn't have been. At first I thought it was production of the album I just hated. Things seemed to clip at points and I found it hard to here the vocals. Im listening to their samples on myspace though and it sounds amazing.

WARLOCK123
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Album now streaming on myspace :)

millarso
05-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Its really good quality but I think its a little on the quiet side?
Turn up the volume maybe?

nashawa
05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
:cheers: Fuck overcompression. Not everything has to be in your face loud constantly. Although I have a feeling this was more of an oversight than an actual attempt to bring dynamics to the album. :shrug:

Pookie6
05-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm really liking their new album. Lots of strong songs. Best of all i can actually listen through most of the CD where as their older ones was hard and sort of felt like a chore to get through.

the memory
05-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Yeah normally thats okay, but in comparison to other things on my ipod its really quiet. One minute I'm listening to As I Lay Dying and its fine, the next I've got something else deafening me! I've got an Ipod shuffle so I cant do much about it :p

Adam124
05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
This new album is ****in brutal.

Condemned is one of my favourites at the moment.

WARLOCK123
05-09-2010, 08:11 AM
I reckon this album is going to be the best in the metalcore genre. Everything after this is never going to be as good and will only try to reach the standard set with The Powerless Rise. The only problem I can see is that from now on As I Lay Dying will need to continue improving from this album, if they put out an album just as good as this then they will be slated, so they need to improve on this. I certainly don't envy them in that task.

Shredx
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
From my first listen I wasn't amazed by it. It was really solid, but the mix sounded distant to me (although this is probably myspace <_<) but yeah I'm not sure what to think of the album as a whole yet.

millarso
05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah normally thats okay, but in comparison to other things on my ipod its really quiet. One minute I'm listening to As I Lay Dying and its fine, the next I've got something else deafening me! I've got an Ipod shuffle so I cant do much about it :p
Hmm... try turning on sound check for your ipod i guess... you might be able to go into the files on Itunes and specify that they be played at a higher decibel level. Other than that idk what would be up.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
I reckon this album is going to be the best in the metalcore genre.
:haha :haha :haha :haha

WARLOCK123
05-09-2010, 03:53 PM
:haha :haha :haha :haha

Hardly a laughing matter tbh. As I lay Dying is probably the best (and most consistent) band in the genre and this work is above all else in that they've done and the rest of the genre.

millarso
05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't start that argument here if I were you. As I Lay Dying is definitely close to the top of my list for metalcore bands, but that isn't necessarily a thing shared very commonly throughout this forum I would guess. Besides saying "the best" is a pretty dangerous thing. Their best? Yes. Best metalcore? For you maybe, but expect to be crucified by somebody for saying it.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Someone like me, for example, who believes that even in this manisfestation of metalcore that there are far superior bands, no to mention far more original ones.

Also, saying anything is the best at anything is ludicrous unless there's proof. And predicting the future and saying nothing will ever top this is just batshit insane.

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Converge is the best metalcore band.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Wasn't going to go there, but I knew someone would.

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
TBH I'm more of a Botch fan, but I just had to say it.

millarso
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I figured that was coming too. I'm personally not that big a Converge fan, but I don't care that other people think they're the best. To each his own.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
It depends on my mood. I like them both for what they do. I find Converge the more consistent band though. A lot of songs on unifying Themes and American Nervoso are really throwaway tbh.

I still don't believe they're "the best" though. I don't think any band can hold that title.

millarso
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
It depends on my mood. I like them both for what they do. I find Converge the more consistent band though. A lot of songs on unifying Themes and American Nervoso are really throwaway tbh.

I still don't believe they're "the best" though. I don't think any band can hold that title.
Especially if you're saying "best metalcore"... there are so many different things that fit in with metalcore. Botch is on the distonal, chaotic side of metalcore, AILD is more groovy or thrashy. Way different.

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM

the Beatles are the best. And no, it's not up for debate.

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't like The Beatles

millarso
05-09-2010, 04:42 PM
You heard the man, it's not up for debate. How are you supposed to debate that?

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't like The Beatles
Doesn't matter. It's a fact that they win hard. As a matter of fact Converge started out as a Beatles cover band, true story.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Doesn't matter. It's a fact that they win hard. As a matter of fact Converge started out as a Beatles cover band, true story.
You have no idea how much I wish that was true.

millarso
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
~Converge, right now, over me... (insert awesome bass part)...~

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
~Converge, right now, over me... (insert awesome bass part)...~
You've figured out the secret link, clever isn't it?

millarso
05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
You've figured out the secret link, clever isn't it?
If that was planned, then you are one devilishly clever individual.

nashawa
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hah, I doubt it was. There just happened to be discussion on both bands :p:

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Hah, I doubt it was. There just happened to be discussion on both bands :p:
Clearly, Nash is a skeptic. You need to read The DaVinci Code

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
The Beatles started out as a Bob Dylan cover band therefore
Bob Dylan > The Beatles

nashawa
05-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I would, but I enjoy literature that isn't terribly written.

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
The Beatles started out as a Bob Dylan cover band therefore
Bob Dylan > The Beatles
He's not a band :p:

Nash- That's what I would expect from a none-believer. Enjoy your ignorance. :o

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
The Beatles and The Da Vinci Code suck. THIS ALL SUCKS :mad:

phoenix_crush
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
The Beatles and The Da Vinci Code suck. THIS ALL SUCKS :mad:
HERETIC!!!

nashawa
05-09-2010, 05:16 PM
fuc[/SIZE]kingthingsucks.net (]http://www.[SIZE=2)

Sorry, it won't hyperlink.

lookpizza
05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
:mad: WE'LL DO IT LIVE :mad:

millarso
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
That's just classic.

tancanada
05-09-2010, 07:41 PM
From my first listen I wasn't amazed by it. It was really solid, but the mix sounded distant to me (although this is probably myspace <_<) but yeah I'm not sure what to think of the album as a whole yet.

That's my biggest issue with the record too, the guitars get drowned out a LOT

Adam124
05-09-2010, 07:52 PM
That's my biggest issue with the record too, the guitars get drowned out a LOT

I haven't experienced this:S

If you have "aquired" the album from another "source" then i suggest you go out and buy the album.
My only criticism may be that the epic choruses are lacking mainly clean vocal-wise although i haven't listened to the album long enough to be sure.

The drums were crazy although I didn't think it suited Jordans style of playing. I could be wrong. Damn good album nonetheless.

Dimefan69
05-10-2010, 11:00 PM
So are AILD headlining Cool Tour or is it shared? I can't tell.

millarso
05-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I just submitted a review for this album. Hoping for a front page article.

Amuro Jay
05-11-2010, 03:22 AM
I just submitted a review for this album. Hoping for a front page article.
Well, the album comes out on the 11th, so that's pretty short notice.

Regardless of who reviews it, this album will be on the front page, probably even top spot material.

But don't be surprised if the UG team gets the top spot. They get priority.

millarso
05-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Well, the album comes out on the 11th, so that's pretty short notice.

Regardless of who reviews it, this album will be on the front page, probably even top spot material.

But don't be surprised if the UG team gets the top spot. They get priority.
I wouldn't call it short notice since technically it shouldn't have been listened to in full quality until now anyways, and I know someone at UG will probably take it first, but I haven't had a review that hasn't made front page yet, so I'm hoping for a good streak.

Amuro Jay
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't call it short notice since technically it shouldn't have been listened to in full quality until now anyways, and I know someone at UG will probably take it first, but I haven't had a review that hasn't made front page yet, so I'm hoping for a good streak.
Well, I meant the fact that you submitted it just hours before they updated the site :p:

But it seems that it got accepted, congrats :cheers:

Jon777
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I absolutely love how the bass is mixed on The Powerless Rise. I can actually hear it.

Amuro Jay
05-11-2010, 02:06 PM
That is surprising :p:

I've been waiting for a decent quality leak to pop up. I've heard that the ones that have shown up are all crap quality. Now that the album is out, there's sure to be some more good quality leaks out there.

Adam124
05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
That is surprising :p:

I've been waiting for a decent quality leak to pop up. I've heard that the ones that have shown up are all crap quality. Now that the album is out, there's sure to be some more good quality leaks out there.

I don't see why you can't go out and buy the album/download via itunes?

WARLOCK123
05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Exactly, save yourself the hassle of waiting for a good leak. And to be honest if you like it that much then its surely worth buying.

millarso
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, I meant the fact that you submitted it just hours before they updated the site :p:

But it seems that it got accepted, congrats :cheers:
Thank you.
I was thinking of that while I was writing it actually. I tried to hurry as much as possible without butchering it.
I absolutely love how the bass is mixed on The Powerless Rise. I can actually hear it.
I agree completely. I started hearing those chunky low notes and almost left a chunky low note in my pants.

Amuro Jay
05-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't see why you can't go out and buy the album/download via itunes?
I don't get paid for another month, I only have six dollars in my bank account.

So buying the album is out of the question for the next month or so.

P1ayingW1thF1re
05-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Cover of 94 Hours up on my profile.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/P1ayingW1thF1re/

andyscoot
05-15-2010, 04:12 PM
The new album is very impressive. Not as initially good as An Ocean... but still, incredibly fun to listen if you want no nonsence stuff.

Geldin
05-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I think it's better than An Ocean, personally. On Ocean, I think the power really bottoms out from An Ocean until Bury Us All. It's not bad stuff, it's just not as good. Powerless Rise, on the other hand, is only weak on two songs out of the entire eleven. Maybe I just like the bass, though....

Thebiz
05-19-2010, 04:06 AM
^ I noticed the bass mixing being very well done, myself. Especially in riffs like the intro to "Condemned" (which seems to be a very underrated track so far, and one of my favorites.)