Question about Building a Set Neck Guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Building a Set Neck Guitar

xmrchainsawx
11-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Im a big fan of set neck guitar's, but Ive always wanted to play a guitar that Ive made, but I see that Warmoth.com only has bolt-on necks. Now, I could settle for a bolt-on, but because Im building it, I dont want to.

So what I was wondering was if I could take this 'through-body neck' from Carvin (Here (http://www.carvin.com/images/product/NT61.jpg)) and then buy a LPS style body from Warmoth.com (Here (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/images/bodies/lps_flamemaple_top.jpg) ) and like, cut out the part of the body where the 'through-body neck' would go and then like glue the parts of the guitar on to the sides.

Would that be possible without effecting sustain or anything?

buffalowing11
11-28-2005, 12:17 AM
wouldnt the neck kinda get in the way of the pickups?

xmrchainsawx
11-28-2005, 12:19 AM
I couldnt just route the pickup slots in the neck?

josephde
11-28-2005, 12:19 AM
^^Does the neck get in the way of the pups of any of the mass produced set-neck guitars such as th Ibanez SZ? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes chainsaw, thats what you're supposed to do.

That_Pink_Queen
11-28-2005, 12:27 AM
If you do that theres no point in the warmoth body in the first place. Why do you want a set neck so badly anyway?

Iron Priest
11-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Building a neck thru guitar is alot easier than a bolt on or a set neck. For clarification, a set neck guitar has a bolt on style neck that is glued into the neck socket. Neck Through is just that - the neck goes through the body. That would work, and if you wanted to do that, I recommend routing the pickups so that you can screw them straight in to the body/ wood. Not on top, but recessed (of course) so that they vibrate with the body. It'll give you better sustain.

That_Pink_Queen
11-28-2005, 12:57 AM
^Er kinda....? Its not really worth it. What if the neck breaks, or has some problem. Much easier to swap it out.

forklifterer
11-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I agree with Pink Queen. Overall a bolt on is alot easier and in the end probably most cost effective. As for the neck through idea most neck through bodies use two wings that are biscuit jointed into the neck. I believe someone on here has done that exact process and that would be helpful to what you need. The problem with buying a warmoth and cutting off the middle would be the shape would be different and you would have most likely two different kinds of woods. You would be better of buying a body blank and then securing the blanks to the neck the cut your own body from that.

mnbaseball91
11-28-2005, 03:27 PM
You'd still need a different neck angle for the TOM bridge...