John Mayer Trio- Try

PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer Trio- Try

Habukkuk
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Has anyone heard this live album? Its awesome!

The first song is like Stevie Ray's So Excited in that its a pretty groovy up tempo jam in A (albeit not an instrumental)

The second song has a sick riff that can only be describe by:

----------------------------------------
--2--2------------------------------------
--2--2------------------------------------
--2--2---------4s5s4p0h2p0---------0- 0-
----------0h4--------------------0h4---2- 2--
------------------------------------------3--3

followed by some great blues such as Gravity, a Ray Charles cover - I Got A Woman, and about 5 other amazing songs.

Mayer Trio = my new favorite band.

benjaminr
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
mayer trio = stupid because they try to act like a jazz group when really they are not even close.

i_strum_i_drum
11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
^because you listen to so much blues :rolleyes:

i haven't heard it yet. can't wait to.

benjaminr
11-28-2005, 03:54 PM
^because you listen to so much blues :rolleyes:

i haven't heard it yet. can't wait to.

just because I don't have blues and jazz bands listed in my favorite bands doesn't mean I don't listen to and play it. I also wasn't saying it didn't have elements of blues, I was saying that they try to put out the image of being a jazz band when they are lacking in the most important elements present in almost any jazz group.

i_strum_i_drum
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
1. you don't say why they are missing the "most important elements of blues" as you so vaguely state. they have emotion. they have talent. they aren't "acting".

2. jazz and blues are not interchangeable.

"mayer trio=stupid..."
anything that closed-minded or immature isn't something worth hearing justification for.

benjaminr
11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Once again, never said they didn't have some elements of blues, said they were missing the vital elements of a jazz band which is what they try to portray themselves as as in,
1) Songs are written ahead of time, jazz music is almost entirely improvised other than the basic composition of chord changes etc.
2) Songs are recorded one track at a time rather than the group as a whole as a jazz band would do
3) Doesn't swing
4) Lyrical singing is pretty uncommon in jazz nowadays

-Having emotion and talent may make you a good band but it does not make you a jazz group.

That's just a few things i can pick up by listening to one song

and if you didn't notice i wasn't saying jazz and blues were interchangeable, I said they have some blues elements but are missing vital jazz elements.

i_strum_i_drum
11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
you say they are missing vital jazz elements, eh?
well maybe they aren't trying to be jazz at all! :eek:
and in fact are "trying" to be blues!

benjaminr
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
they wouldn't call themselves the john mayer trio if they weren't trying to act jazz. He does use a lot of jazz voicings.

i_strum_i_drum
11-28-2005, 04:44 PM
they wouldn't call themselves the john mayer trio if they weren't trying to act jazz. He does use a lot of jazz voicings.
what the hell do you base that on?
is that some strange superstition?

you are paranoid about this whole jazz thing.

Habukkuk
11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
this is why i check this board less and less often. Some moron comes on and makes stupid criticisms that really don't make sense and that no one really cares about.

Mascot
11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
benjaminr, how exactly are they 'stupid'? I've yet to hear much from the Trio, so please, tell me how they are acting like a jazz group.

So they don't do the stereotypical things a group in that genre would - big whoop. If people didn't break out of the ordinary and do something new, imagine where music would be.

INDUSTRIALMETAL
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Although I have heard very little from this record, what I have hard I enjoy. Next time I see it at the record story I'll probably buy it.

agreth_3rd
11-28-2005, 09:07 PM
you are all going to hate me for saying this, but I prefer their old stuff. I love john mayers blues guitar skills but I don't rate the actual songs. I think he writes better pop songs and I also think his voice is better suited to pop. benjamininr clearly has no idea what he's talking about haha.

Encore_God
11-29-2005, 06:03 AM
you are all going to hate me for saying this, but I prefer their old stuff. I love john mayers blues guitar skills but I don't rate the actual songs. I think he writes better pop songs and I also think his voice is better suited to pop. benjamininr clearly has no idea what he's talking about haha.

I agree. I'm sick of little white boys with roughed up voices and top-end Strats getting all the attention when there's a million ace artists out there who never get a shred of attention.

Derigiberble
11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree. I'm sick of little white boys with roughed up voices and top-end Strats getting all the attention when there's a million ace artists out there who never get a shred of attention.

awww thats me screwed :(

i knew i should never have bought a strat :p:

john mayer = teh suck

Encore_God
11-29-2005, 06:06 PM
awww thats me screwed :(

i knew i should never have bought a strat :p:

john mayer = teh suck

If we ever meet, I will buy you a LOT of beers. :haha

SickMetal
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
What, now any "trio" is a band that's trying to be jazz? That's ridiculous. Mayer is going for Blues here. If he uses jazz voicings or whatever, that's obviously to give his music some interesting elements. It doesn't mean that he's trying to be jazz if it's a trio with a few jazz chords.

I'm looking foward to hearing this album. I heard a song from the Crossroads DVD that came out last year and I've wanted to hear Mayer put out some blues material ever since. I'll get to hear this record at some point, sounds awesome!

rapeme
11-29-2005, 10:33 PM
well got the cd and i think its great. Watever genre the trio is it still is good music.

Derigiberble
11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
If we ever meet, I will buy you a LOT of beers. :haha

:D don't say that, i can hold my drink :haha

WyldeGibsonPlyr
11-30-2005, 11:14 AM
BEST RECORD EVER.

Alright, im done.

Gabuydachk
11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
from the one song I've heard, he's good and I would like to hear more

dr_john
11-30-2005, 04:06 PM

yeah encore i agree as well, kenny wayne shepherd is another prime example of this syndrome.

:cheers:

GenreConfused
11-30-2005, 10:29 PM
I just watched the concert videos on AOL Music, and he was pretty impressive. I would reccommend this viewing to everyone.

Encore_God
12-01-2005, 05:50 AM
yeah encore i agree as well, kenny wayne shepherd is another prime example of this syndrome.

I disagree. Kenny is ace. Its people like Wes Jeans, Trey Tosh or that Eric Steckel kid that irritate me....

lessthanthree
12-01-2005, 09:36 AM

That is a very very stupid comment. Are the Alkaline Trio attempting to be a Jazz band...I think not.

Habukkuk
12-01-2005, 10:02 AM
How about the 'We Play Death Metal Trio' (ok I just made that up but you get my point)

Prophet of Page
12-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Meh, not a fan of John.

StratRat13
12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
I disagree. Kenny is ace. Its people like Wes Jeans, Trey Tosh or that Eric Steckel kid that irritate me....

Trey Tosh makes me want to shoot myself. :(

Habukkuk
12-01-2005, 05:24 PM
wow. the aol live video is amazing.

http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?tab=songvid&artistid=405816

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-01-2005, 05:30 PM
No shit. :p: It was even better when it was actually Live, it was on last Wensday, you guys should have watched it. :D

StratRat13
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
No shit. :p: It was even better when it was actually Live, it was on last Wensday, you guys should have watched it. :D

Effin hockey....... :sad:

The Master Plan
12-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm thinking about going to my local Hastings and picking this cd up,because I got one of his song "Vultures" and his tone personally I think is amazing.Also to the people that own this cd is there any licks or riffs that stand out in this album?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-03-2005, 01:56 AM
John has some godlike tone, then again he does have quite the amp selection + the best guitars in the universe, a la Stratocasters. :D

Plenty of riffage on this record! Song's like Who Did You Think I Was, Try, Gravity, Another Kind of Green, etc. I also enjoy the riffage in Vultures, like yourself. John's voice in that tune is great as well. :D

Desk Jocky
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
John has some godlike tone, then again he does have quite the amp selection + the best guitars in the universe, a la Stratocasters. :D

Plenty of riffage on this record! Song's like Who Did You Think I Was, Try, Gravity, Another Kind of Green, etc. I also enjoy the riffage in Vultures, like yourself. John's voice in that tune is great as well. :D
I love the new album and my favorite song is "Another kind of Green". Awesome.... He is on his way to being a great bluesman

TNfootballfan62
12-04-2005, 12:10 AM
I finally got this album, and it isn't bad. Not exactly all i was hoping for out of him, but good, nonetheless. There isn't a whole lot of pure, straightforward blues, and that disappoints me a little bit. One of the purely blues songs, "Out of My Mind," is good, but it sounds strikingly similar to something that BB King would play to me. Don't get me wrong, i love my BB King, but i just dont think he was original enough with that song.

Habukkuk
12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
oh man, i totally agree on the 'out of my mind' thing. very unoriginal. i was dissapointed in that because mayer is one heckuva songwriter and I was expecting him to bring something more original to the slow blues.

good love is on the way has two really solid riffs in it, and is my favorite on the album.

dr_john
12-04-2005, 04:11 PM
just got the album, havn't heard it all the way through yet but from what i have heard it sounds like john is on the right track at last.

loads better than the poppy stuff from his previous albums, i really think this one is going to be one of those albums that grows on you the more you hear it. must burn a copy for the car for the journey into work.....

Desk Jocky
12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
just got the album, havn't heard it all the way through yet but from what i have heard it sounds like john is on the right track at last.

loads better than the poppy stuff from his previous albums, i really think this one is going to be one of those albums that grows on you the more you hear it. must burn a copy for the car for the journey into work.....
Yeah it definately grows on you. I have really begun to like "Gravity".... good stuff.

dr_john
12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah it definately grows on you. I have really begun to like "Gravity".... good stuff.

yeah 'gravity' really is a track that stands out even on first hearing.

in general, how does he get that classic hendrix tone? obviously with a strat, anyone got any idea about pickups, amp, effects???

TNfootballfan62
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
^^^I think he uses pickups called big dippers or something like that. That's all i know.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, in John's signature Strats, he has custom made "Big Dipper" pickups. But on a lot of the Try! record he didnt use his signature strats, as far as I know. On the record, and a lot lately, he's been using a lot of Custom Made, or Limited Edition Masterbuilt Stratocasters, which are very cool. This site is very helpfull:
http://www.primer-amor.org/jmgear/

He's been playing these Strat's alot lately, and are probably the one's he used most on the record. Plus his Clapton 335, which was used on tracks like Out of My Mind, I Got a Woman(great cover, gotta love Ray Charles), and Try.
Clapton 335 (http://www.primer-amor.org/jmgear/index.php?el25)
Custom Reversed Strat (used on stuff like Wait Until Tomorrow) (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=1519001)
Custom '60's Relic(John's been playing this a lot lately, I think its his new favorite. But I think he still calls his '96 SRV Sig his number one axe, even though he hasnt been seen playing it in ages). (http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=9275000473)
Custom Made Relic (http://www.primer-amor.org/jmgear/index.php?el23)
Custom Made Try! Strat. Made for the release week of Try!, given away however. Quite cool too :(. (http://www.primer-amor.org/jmgear/index.php?el29)

As for amp's, well John uses's your typical Fender's for his clean. Super Reverb's, VibroKing, etc. He also has a few Victoria Fender Copy's, which are very nice. He has a nice settup of pedals, including a Tube Screamer for his dirt n whatnot. But I believe he actually uses Two Rock amps for some of his dirt too, although im not entirely sure on that.

Like said that website is very cool and helpful, and I'd be glad to try and help on any other questions about John and his godlike gear.

-Nate.

dr_john
12-07-2005, 07:43 AM
that's what i would call a comprehensive reply, wyldegibsonplayer. many thanks.

FroDaddy
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
You can also find some great information about John and his gear at www.mystupidmouth.com.

Also, everyone hating on our friend benjaminr needs to realize that what he says is correct. Just because Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Robert Randolph, Jimmie Vaughan.......etc. all very much support and endorse John Mayer doesn't mean that he is actually good. Benjaminr definitely has more credibility than those guys, right? :bonk:

JackTheDonkey
12-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Interesting how we have 6 billion people in the world, and we all believe our opinions matter somehow....

Anyways, it's a pretty good CD. John Mayer's a good player. Not very good at soloing or improvising, but a good songwriter and rhythm player nonetheless.

GraveSs
12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
great singer.

next SRV possibly?

The Master Plan
12-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I consider him more of the next Eric Clapton than SRV and I consider KWS to be the next SRV.

sirpsycho85
12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
there's a good interview with john at rolling stone now. i think it's a podcast, but theres also an excerpt from it. it's quite interesting, especially when he talks about meeting clapton. he says it taught him a lot on how to behave with money, which is not normal to have a lot of in the blues world.

Derigiberble
12-17-2005, 03:39 PM
there's a good interview with john at rolling stone now. i think it's a podcast, but theres also an excerpt from it. it's quite interesting, especially when he talks about meeting clapton. he says it taught him a lot on how to behave with money, which is not normal to have a lot of in the blues world.

most likely because the money hes earned has nothing to do with him playing the blues

RoughDraft
12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I love John Mayer and the new Trio are amazing musicians.

BTW: To any one here who critizes them because they aren't a true "jazz" band (even though Mayer was going to BLUES!). Maybe you guys should think about artistic licence. There would be no blues, jazz, rock, pop, anythying in music if people didn't add to it, build off it in some way. If they didn't everything would be the same. Besides in my point of view musicians respect musicians. Even if they hate the music the other is playing, there must be some respect just for the fact that they've accomplished something in the art.

RoughDraft
12-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Interesting how we have 6 billion people in the world, and we all believe our opinions matter somehow....

Anyways, it's a pretty good CD. John Mayer's a good player. Not very good at soloing or improvising, but a good songwriter and rhythm player nonetheless.

Have you not listened to Wait Until Tomorrow?

dontfret
12-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't even want to start going through all the reasons why John Mayer is such an important guitar player to the Blues Genre. His Pop songs are just a corporate money grubbing exploitation of him, but he doesn't mind because it has allowed him to gather the attention of younger listeners who would not normaly listen to Blues (johns true love) I don't think most people realize how good he really is. Do you think Buddy Guy would stand there and gush over Johns Blues skills if he wasn't so proud to have him as a prodigy? It is not easy to just put together a Blues Trio and sound great, but Steve Jordan, and Pino Paladino are very highly respected in the Blues world and lend their skills because they respect and admire John Mayers Blues skills. Just the fact that they are playing with John says it all. It is the start of something big.

sirpsycho85
12-17-2005, 10:33 PM
most likely because the money hes earned has nothing to do with him playing the blues

i know, but there are a lot of people who question the credibility of blues artists who didn't "have it hard", although i personally disagree with them.

i might be seeing them monday as well...im going to the taping of conan obrien that day and my friend said that john mayer trio is the musical guest.

TNfootballfan62
12-19-2005, 04:57 PM
great singer.

next SRV possibly?

I consider him more of the next Eric Clapton than SRV and I consider KWS to be the next SRV.

How about we let him become something completely unique and all his own instead of trying to narrow him down to the next so-and-so.

sirpsycho85
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
^perhaps they mean his stature or image. i don't think he was necessarily referring to his sound.

anyway, i just saw him live a couple hours ago. the conan obrien show that will be on this friday was taped today so that the people who work there can get off for the holidays. i went to the taping, and the Trio played "wait until tomorrow" by jimi hendrix. good stuff, catch it on friday.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah. :D

Here are some upcoming JM3 Show/Date's:

-The Early Show - 12/19 (Missed it, this morning)
-Late night show with Conan O' Brien - 12/23 (as ^he^ said)
-The tonight show with Jay Leno - 1/3
-The Ellen Degeneres show - 1/5.

JimiSlashPage
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I heard some of his new stuff on tv this morning. I loved it.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Ah, yes! I found the Early Show from this morning for you fella's!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/19/earlyshow/leisure/music/main1135609.shtml

:)

JimiSlashPage
12-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the link.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Never a problem. :)

Gah, I want a Monterey Pop Strat so bad. :( There so expensive and hard to find these days though, only 150 were made, I believe. KWS has one too. :(

I always thought this picture was very sexual. :p: Gotta love John.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Cantrell1919/Mayer/Jm33332.jpg

TNfootballfan62
12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
^^^That strat is a beauty.l

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
You know it brotha. :p:

evvo_gc_fan
12-21-2005, 06:27 PM
i really like the album - its a grower. gravity is my current favourite.
just like to say to the people having the huge jazz argument earlier - mayer has gone for blues on this album, and using some jazz spices it up a bit. its fantastic. just because he uses some jazz voicings and phrasings doesnt make him jazz. i can do a handstand, and that doesnt make me a ****ing gymnast.

GraveSs
12-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Vultures>Gravity

jmikesisadouche
12-25-2005, 02:54 AM
John mayer is souless **** and that ****ing try cd is proof, if anyone thinks otherwise, than they have no idea what the blues is about...

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-25-2005, 10:49 AM
:haha I think your the one who has no idea on what the blues is about, or any clue on John's past or history. :rolleyes:

Besides, that record is not JUST blues, lots of pop influence in there as well.

charger356
12-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I recently bought the record after watching their show on the FreeView channel of DirecTV... pretty rocking

utsapp89
12-26-2005, 01:17 AM
I saw him playing that Hendrix tune on Conan the other night and was quite impressed. I got Try! today and I've already listened to it 3-4 times. Good stuff. And to all the people arguing over the label of it and what John was "going for": who cares the intentions behind it, it sounds good. John could be doing this to raise funds for an oriental sex slave for all I care. The music still sounds good no matter what.

Jetty
12-26-2005, 01:50 PM
i watched him last night on direct tv freeview.

rock rock rock.

lovin' it.

the man got skills. period.

rageandlove04
12-26-2005, 02:08 PM
2) Songs are recorded one track at a time rather than the group as a whole as a jazz band would do

Isn't the new JM3 disc live?

Stop Messin'
12-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Awesome BLUES album, not JAZZ, BLUES.

dontfret
12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
My Wife and Daughter are going to see him in a few days at the Filmore. (Cue Napoleon "Luuucky")

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-27-2005, 08:34 PM
^Aw man, they are quite lucky! 3 Nights of JM3 in San Fran, I'd kill to be down there. :(

Isn't the new JM3 disc live?

Yup.

GraveSs
12-27-2005, 11:59 PM
i forgot the song but during the outro i think the whole crowd goes "CHECK!"

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Thats Something's Missing, which is a John Mayer song from his album, Heavier Things.

The "Check" part is part of the song, and fans say it a long with him at most shows now a days.

JMayer01069
12-28-2005, 02:41 AM
rageandlove: i think its more of a compilation of a few live concerts put together, but i might be wrong

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
^It is. Its formed from all sorts of different dates from there tour. Its still all live though.

oblique
12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I saw the cbs video and a couple of songs from the aol concert, it's good stuff. I like his rhythm playing better than his soloing, although he does do a nice Jimi impression for his lead parts. :p: The stuff he does while singing is very impressive, and he can obviously really play, I just think his solos are influenced really heavily by Hendrix.

Habukkuk
12-29-2005, 09:48 AM
I saw the cbs video and a couple of songs from the aol concert, it's good stuff. I like his rhythm playing better than his soloing, although he does do a nice Jimi impression for his lead parts. :p: The stuff he does while singing is very impressive, and he can obviously really play, I just think his solos are influenced really heavily by Hendrix.

Who's aren't?

ggates1020
12-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm listening to it right now. Definately enjoyable, but nothing as impressive from a blues perspective as what he did at the Eric Clapton Crossroad's Festival, at least in my opinion.

ElPoncho
12-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Listening to it at the moment. I like it, sounds cool. It's not the blues i excepted though, but good music. John Mayer knows how to play his guitar :)

fenderfreak101
01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm listening to it right now. Definately enjoyable, but nothing as impressive from a blues perspective as what he did at the Eric Clapton Crossroad's Festival, at least in my opinion.

No, and, unless you were at the festival, then you didnt get to see his huge jam he did with Clapton, Buddy Guy, BB King, and Jimmie Vaughn.

It was great.

ggates1020
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
No, and, unless you were at the festival, then you didnt get to see his huge jam he did with Clapton, Buddy Guy, BB King, and Jimmie Vaughn.

It was great.

Wish I was.

danthug
01-06-2006, 04:06 AM
I HAVE AN UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH JOHN MAYER AND ALL THAT HE DOES...

i just can't help myself...he's one of my heros...but many people don't realize that he is an amazing guitarist/entertainer. And he went out with jenifer love hewitt...that's gotta mean something...right?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
01-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I dont think you have met me yet, brother. :haha

3x5
01-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Another Kind of Green < Vultures, btw. I ****ing love this album. I got it a bit ago off i-Tunes. (If anyone wants the extra vid that came with it just PM me.) Everything on this album is way better than his pop stuff. Grrr...they aren't touring the East coast yet.

Did anyone notice that his eyes have started to become more and more cross eyed while he's singing?

TNfootballfan62
01-09-2006, 09:42 AM
I HAVE AN UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH JOHN MAYER AND ALL THAT HE DOES...

i just can't help myself...he's one of my heros...but many people don't realize that he is an amazing guitarist/entertainer. And he went out with jenifer love hewitt...that's gotta mean something...right?

You and WyldeGibsonPlyr are gonna get along just fine.

guitarist824
01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Hes on the cover of guitar player magazine which im sure alot of you know...but anyways...i never really liked any of john mayers music cus its pop...its just not my style, but i do agree with alot of the thigns he said in the interview...one being, "hendrix played pop"...back then, blues was pop, there was no genre "pop"...blues was popular. one thing hes doing that i like is, hes bringing blues into the pop culture so that the young impressionable minds out there are swayed in the right direction...maybe we will eventually get a bunch of blues stations on fm haha...yea doubt it...but anways, i havnt heard the album but i can tell you right now that there are alot of other blues players id prolly rather listen to, but thats not my point...im sick off all the marketing hype of ipods for an example...theres a crapload of closeminded kids out there who just have to have an ipod when alot of times, there are better mp3 players out there but they are just too close minded to look at them...all im saying is that it would be better if all the close minded people out there would look close mindedly at maybe some other company like creative...its my paralell to this...instead of all the close minded people lookin at ONLY pop ****, they will look at ONLY blues...in my opinion, its still better

oh yea and whoever was saying stuff about them trying to pretend they are a jazz trio is retarted...noone ever said that...and then they said that any trio is jazz...thats crap...they are close minded freaks imo, never heard of a blues trio??? jeeze if you dont believe me then go look at an issue of guitarplayer...they wrote "john mayer's blues trio" on the front...

The Master Plan
01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Has anyone seen his music video for "Who did you think I was" I saw it this morning and on it he's using the Monterrey Pop Festival Guitar.B.T.W its a good video.

Habukkuk
01-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Has anyone seen his music video for "Who did you think I was" I saw it this morning and on it he's using the Monterrey Pop Festival Guitar.B.T.W its a good video.

link?

The Master Plan
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll look for it right now i saw it on VH1 b.t.w.

The Master Plan
01-23-2006, 07:33 PM
there you go its the second one on the list http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/mayer_john/videos.jhtml

November_Rain88
01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I always knew the kid had great guitarist skills when I saw him open for BB King a while back... but he put out a couple pop albums which kinda hurt his cred... however, his style is just amazing. I bought the album shortly after it came out, and I love it.

stratstrummer40
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I like John Mayer. I think Ill check this cd out.

mrbreeze
01-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I didn't think I'd like John Mayer after hearing the suff the play on the radio (Your Body Is Wonderland?????? GIVE ME A BREAK!) But then I heard some of the other stuff he's done, saw him jamming with Brad Paisley (who is an EXCELLENT guitarist by the way), and I've done a complete turnaround. I ALMOST bought the "Trio" CD the other day, held it in my hand for while, read the notes etc., but couldn't bring myself to take it with me to the check-out aisle. I think next trip, I get up the courage to actually buy it, that ism if no one I know is around to see me do it.

jeb uh die uh
01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Derek Trucks is younger than Mayer, yet lightyears ahead in his playing. He's the next great blues-rock player.

meh!
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Once again, never said they didn't have some elements of blues, said they were missing the vital elements of a jazz band which is what they try to portray themselves as as in,
1) Songs are written ahead of time, jazz music is almost entirely improvised other than the basic composition of chord changes etc.
3) Doesn't swing

thats crap

3) Doesn't swing

why are you impngening such strict regulations on music

whast your point....it wasn't in the past there we go.

2..there a blues band not ajazz band

GraveSs
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
2..there a blues band not ajazz band

true. What is the latest news on the new album?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Continuum (the new record), is out in May. Its not the Trio by the way, its just John. Although Steve (Jordan) did help produce, and MAYBE even played on some tracks.

Guitarplaya27
03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I dont like blues that much but John Mayer is one of my favorite's

TUMFP
03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
i like all of John's stuff...i love all of his different aspects...i kno everyone is like ahh his first stuff is pop, down with pop...but idk i really enjoy all of his music...and he can really rip on his guitar. i saw him on the brad paisley special thingy and Clapton's Crossroads and he does have some real skill...

all in all the Trio album is really good...i recommend it

GraveSs
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
What are some of your favorite solos by John?

The Try! solo is just amazing. Incredible phrasing.

Habukkuk
03-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Wait until tomorrow. The solo just explodes.

TNfootballfan62
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
^^^He plays the song well, but i like the Hendrix version so much more.

TUMFP
03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
i really like I Got A Woman...i jus love that raw sense you get from it...id say thats my fav on the album...

TNfootballfan62
03-22-2006, 11:43 PM
^^^Yea, thats a good cover. He does a nice cover of "Wait until tomorrow", too.

The Master Plan
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I like "Out of My Mind"

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-26-2006, 12:07 PM
If you guys are looking for some cool solo's from the Mayer man, check out his live record, Any Given Thursday. I know its only his pop stuff, but he always goes into new solos or jams on basically each of the songs. Plus theres two excellent covers of Lenny (Stevie), and Message in a Bottle (The Police). As well as an unreleased song, my favorite of all things and an amazing solo (very much so like Life Without You, ala Stevie Ray), ala Covered in Rain.

Go check it out.

TUMFP
03-26-2006, 03:36 PM
thats the one CD i dont have...im goin to have to go pick that up...^

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-26-2006, 06:04 PM
I highly suggest you do. :) I forgot to mention it also contains one of the first songs John ever wrote, Man on the Side. Permitting it is poppy, I love it to death. Then again, I love everything and everything about Mr. Mayer.

TUMFP
03-26-2006, 06:15 PM
me 2...all his stuff is great...isnt his song "(something Rain)" on that album too?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
If you guys are looking for some cool solo's from the Mayer man, check out his live record, Any Given Thursday. I know its only his pop stuff, but he always goes into new solos or jams on basically each of the songs. Plus theres two excellent covers of Lenny (Stevie), and Message in a Bottle (The Police). As well as an unreleased song, my favorite of all things and an amazing solo (very much so like Life Without You, ala Stevie Ray), ala Covered in Rain.

Go check it out.

I think you should read that again. ;)

TUMFP
03-26-2006, 07:26 PM
thats right...guess i kinda skimmed the bottom, whoops...

hey do u kno when Continuem (spelling?) is coming out? hopefully soon...

Guitarplaya27
03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
john mayer= GREAT LOVE his band

defunksterr
03-26-2006, 08:16 PM
thats right...guess i kinda skimmed the bottom, whoops...

hey do u kno when Continuem (spelling?) is coming out? hopefully soon...

theres no official word, but i heard its coming out in may.

TUMFP
03-26-2006, 08:42 PM
that be awesome...im stoked for it

VoodooChild15
03-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I love it. They play the hell out of Wait Until Tomorrow. The solo at the end is my favorite part of the whole album.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-26-2006, 09:23 PM
theres no official word, but i heard its coming out in may.

Actually, the official word, is that it is out in May. ;)

(Continuum).

TUMFP
03-31-2006, 08:54 PM
the solo on Covered In Rain is one of my favorites...im workin on learnin it now, simply breath taking...

defunksterr
04-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Actually, the official word, is that it is out in May. ;)

(Continuum).

arrrggh!!! they pushed back the release date to july :mad:

John Mayer Trio Preps Other Projects

JOHN MAYER TRIO and JEFF BECK will headline this weekend's fourth annual Tempe Music Festival in Tempe, Arizona, celebrating guitar-maker Fender's sixtieth anniversary. The two-day event will also feature TRAIN, G.LOVE, ALIEN ANT FARM and LIT. This will be the Trio's final performance for the foreseeable future: Bassist PINO PALLADINO is set to tour with the WHO this summer, while Mayer gets ready to release of his latest solo album, Continuum, this July. Mayer is ramping up for an August solo tour.

(from RollingStone.com)

TUMFP
04-01-2006, 06:09 PM
bummer...i was so lookin forward to that...but im stoked for that tour...

The Master Plan
04-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I just bought the Any Given Thursday Dvd I like his jams inbetween songs one of my favorite is the one before he plays "Neon'.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-02-2006, 01:11 AM
the solo on Covered In Rain is one of my favorites...im workin on learnin it now, simply breath taking...

Told ya bro. ;) Go listen, if you havent heard it already, to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Life Without You, thats where Covered in Rain came from. 'New you guys would dig Any Given Thursday ;).

arrrggh!!! they pushed back the release date to july :mad:

John Mayer Trio Preps Other Projects

JOHN MAYER TRIO and JEFF BECK will headline this weekend's fourth annual Tempe Music Festival in Tempe, Arizona, celebrating guitar-maker Fender's sixtieth anniversary. The two-day event will also feature TRAIN, G.LOVE, ALIEN ANT FARM and LIT. This will be the Trio's final performance for the foreseeable future: Bassist PINO PALLADINO is set to tour with the WHO this summer, while Mayer gets ready to release of his latest solo album, Continuum, this July. Mayer is ramping up for an August solo tour.

(from RollingStone.com)

Oh, my bad. Last I heard it was May, I guess I dont keep up on my stuff too well anymore! Thanks for the headsup nonethless. I hope he comes to Minnesota on that tour. :)

The Master Plan
04-02-2006, 01:27 AM
And Steve Jordan is going on tour with Clapton, along with Derek Trucks.

TUMFP
04-02-2006, 01:16 PM
hes gotta make his way to CO...id be so upset if i cant see him...life without you, eh? i dont recall the name but i prob kno it...im gonna go check it

The_Okie
04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I didn't think I'd like John Mayer after hearing the suff the play on the radio (Your Body Is Wonderland?????? GIVE ME A BREAK!) But then I heard some of the other stuff he's done, saw him jamming with Brad Paisley (who is an EXCELLENT guitarist by the way), and I've done a complete turnaround. I ALMOST bought the "Trio" CD the other day, held it in my hand for while, read the notes etc., but couldn't bring myself to take it with me to the check-out aisle. I think next trip, I get up the courage to actually buy it, that ism if no one I know is around to see me do it.

Yeah dude, Brad Paisley is awesome.

The Master Plan
05-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Uhh I just saw John Mayer selling out again he's recording a song for some animated car movie.

TNfootballfan62
05-25-2006, 09:44 PM
^^^ :(

The Master Plan
05-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I guess his cd was selling to well so he's going back to mainstream movie songs. Also when I woke up this morning I was disgusted to see SRV's "Pride and Joy" used as background song for a car commercial, what messed me up the most was the last line of the commercial "Make this car your Pride and Joy.

TNfootballfan62
05-25-2006, 11:01 PM
^^^That's quite upsetting. I really hate when dead musicians have their stuff *****d out for the benefit of those who own the material.