Goldfinger and their slow-spiraling downfall to Pop-Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinger and their slow-spiraling downfall to Pop-Punk

Greenfinger182
11-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I am an immense fan of the early Goldfinger Punk/Ska (especially Hang-Ups, a pure ska album), but unfortunately they have decreased in my music interest, because I, for one, have found their newer music to be a total opposite of the music I once loved.

Does anyone else share these opinions? In a way I can't really denounce these guys because of my love for their on-stage antics (craziness), but at the same time I can't belive the kind of direction they've been going in recently. I enjoyed Stomping Ground, despite the obvious change of pace in their usual style of music. Open Your Eyes was pushing it for me - despite a few good songs some sounded like a song you'd expect from Simple Plan. Now, finally, all hope I have had in them has shattered, with their 'Disconnection Notice' CD. I'm not trying to say the CD isn't any good, but not for those who enjoyed the stuff some might classify in the 'Punk' genre.

The only other hard topic I'm finding is that (supposedly) John Feldman is producing Hillary Duff's newest CD. In a way I want to burn some CDs where he seemed a rebel from these types of things, but another side of me takes sympathy towards his antics - I mean, he has a wife now, and maybe even a kid, I'm not sure. He has to make money, I realize, but you'd think he might do it in a different way.

Sorry for the brief rant, but I just wanted to see if any GoldFinger fans from this site felt the same way about their current downfall.

Thanks for any discussion,
Mike

SurfGreen
11-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Whats Ska

Greenfinger182
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
*Sigh* It's a genre closely related to punk and raggae.

SurfGreen
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
cool do you pronounce it skah or Skae

edibledevilboy
11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Are you serious? Well it's good ur finally learning, Surfgreen... and it's pronounced Skah. Listen to it too, tis greaty

DisgruntledDuck
11-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Greenfinger, I couldn't agree more. I do still love them lots, I mean the self titled album and Hang Ups always has a loving place in my ska/ska-punk/reggae collection. However, Disconnection Notice-bar two songs for me-was a huge let down. I reviewed it for the site, and was probably too kind on it. I'm hoping with the next album, Goldfinger can do a whole "return to our roots" thang, but that's hihgly unlikely. Especially since John Feldman is on a vegan/pop punk cd producing crusade. *Sigh* But there's always other bands. I'd still go to see them in concert if they ever came back to the UK.

Iluvpowerchords
11-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Every Time I hear Superman I get nostalgic and I want to play the Tony Hawks Pro skater pizza hut demo again :)

Anyway, Goldfinger's early work is damn good but I stopped caring eventually, not because of their descent into pop punk (there is nothing wrong with pop punk), but just because I lost intrest in Goldfinger's stuff.

I can relate though, I loooooove Less Than Jake even though they never were a true Ska band and the fact that most of the Punk/Ska community frowns upon them; kinda like they frown upon goldfinger.

DisgruntledDuck
11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Every Time I hear Superman I get nostalgic and I want to play the Tony Hawks Pro skater pizza hut demo again :)

Anyway, Goldfinger's early work is damn good but I stopped caring eventually, not because of their descent into pop punk (there is nothing wrong with pop punk), but just because I lost intrest in Goldfinger's stuff.

I can relate though, I loooooove Less Than Jake even though they never were a true Ska band and the fact that most of the Punk/Ska community frowns upon them; kinda like they frown upon goldfinger.

I totally dig what you're saying about THPS and the pro pop-punk thing(I too like it), but to be honest, I always considered Less Than Jake to be "more ska" than Goldfinger. I dunno really, I've just always categorised Less Than Jake as ska-punk until Anthem.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
11-30-2005, 03:20 PM

To be the asshole of this thread:

Ska isn't quite closely related to Punk.
And um....

Although I hate to say it, but Goldfinger have been a Pop-Punk band since Open Your Eyes. (Note the loss of a horn section, and just about everyone else in the band besides the singer...)

I guess it has to do with that whole "I want to be respected, and mature" attitude most SoCal bands have taken.

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I love how we all get along.

capsfan17
11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Heyzeus, when will people stop using the term pop punk in a derogitory way?

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Because most pop-punk is very bad. When I think of pop-punk, I think of Simple Plan, Good Charlette, all those ugly bands.

capsfan17
11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
those are not pop punk

primusfan
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Pop-punk is awesome.

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 06:32 PM
those are not pop punk

What are they and what is pop-punk then?

capsfan17
11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
They are pop rock. Pop punk would be bands like Screeching Weasel, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

travel sized
11-30-2005, 06:40 PM
What are they and what is pop-punk then?

They are pop rock. Notice the lack of distortion, how slow the songs are in compairison to punk, and how whiney and poppy the vocals are. Those bands are often wrongly catagorized as pop punk, but infact are no where close. A pop punk band is one that takes the fast and distorted guitar style from punk and more melodic vocals, usually with joking or light hearted lyrics, though not always. Pop punk bands are ones such as Screeching Weasel, The Queers, The Ramones, The Vandals, Mr. T Experience, ect.

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Ah. Well, on THUG American Wasteland, they got real lame on the soundtrack and decided to call Thrice, Thursday, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and and Taking Back Sunday punk. I haven't listened to much of them because I avoid radio and MTV so what would you call them?

capsfan17
11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Emo

Those games have lost their musical touch

telex289
11-30-2005, 06:49 PM
the first two tony hawk games had awsome soundtracks.. goldfinger, primus, jurassic 5...

i never really got into goldfinger except for superman which i heard back in 5th grade playing tony hawk.. it brings me back to my memories of how my friend slept over every friday and we'd be up to like 3 playing tony hawk...

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
You're not alone on that one. Good times, man.

deadkennedysfan
11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I think Goldfinger is a pretty good band. 'Superman', 'Mable', 'Miles Away' and 'Bro' are cool songs.

Oh, and Chaise, Guttermouth rules. =p

the glue man
11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
^^^They had the fricken Dead Kennedys. Jello would never approve.

Oh yeah, and the singer for Goldfinger produces Avril Ladxngfusfgsfxva and Good Charlotte (EEK!)

ScummerVacation
11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Pop-punk is awesome.

I'll second that.

Chaise Boogie
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I think Goldfinger is a pretty good band. 'Superman', 'Mable', 'Miles Away' and 'Bro' are cool songs.

Oh, and Chaise, Guttermouth rules. =p

Yeah, they do. :)

Iluvpowerchords
11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
i never really got into goldfinger except for superman which i heard back in 5th grade playing tony hawk.. it brings me back to my memories of how my friend slept over every friday and we'd be up to like 3 playing tony hawk...

:haha

My cousin and I did the EXACT same thing, only with the pizza hut demo version 1 level, 1 song (superman), and waaaaaaay too much soda! :)

I love Nostalgia.

And Pop Punk.

Skunx
12-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Couple things...

I want to thank the topic starter for producing this topic as it seems to be getting a lot of the same support. And I am one of those who think like you.
I've seen Goldfinger back in the day of their coming up in these SoCal ska and punk scenes. They used to be great. They used to be great friends with the Aquabats and No Doubt. Unfortunately all three of those bands turned into something close to pop punk and pop rock. Goodjob to whoever mentioned that, about a lot of SoCal bands turning more mature and such. And I've also seen shows from them in recent years. Playing lame songs like ' Mable ' and ' Sam Simeon, ' etc. Err.

Does anyone remember Charlie? Old guitar player. How about an old bass player? The drummer and John have been together for ten years but they have gone through quite a change in their lineup. Now they have a dopey bass player who is very overrated and a guitar player who hasn't made up anything great since he's been in the band. Charlie was awesome. The second to last Goldfinger show I went to he came from backstage and played a song with them. It was awesome and the place went nuts. Besides that ... Goldfinger is terrible live.

They might have some crazy antics as far as bringing thee entire audience on the stage, and having an audience member biting a twinkle out of the drummers ass, but playing wise -they have always been terrible. John is teeeeeeeerrrrrrrrible singing live. Absolutely horrible. Never has been able to. The last show I went to they played with the Vandals and Flogging Molly. They opened for the bands and we helped them get booed off the stage they were so bad.

And for the record .... Tony Hawk 2 was waaaaay better. Same game, with a manual, and good soundtrack too. ' Bring The Noise ' Public Enemy f/Anthrax, I believe.

capsfan17
12-01-2005, 01:08 AM
It also had bodyjar, Del the funky homosapien and someone else who I dont remember.

Manos15
12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
No, THPS3 had those two I think

ss311
12-01-2005, 11:47 AM
tony hawk 1 had police truck on it. that was my favourite song when i was 12, i didn't know what it was at the time but upon hearing DKs a couple of years later i realised it had been my first punk experience

Greenfinger182
12-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Skunx, thanks for bringing us back to the subject.

I can't belive how many people are mentioning the THPS soundtrack, cause that's the first thing that introduced me to them when I was around 9 or 10 I think. I remember going into music option every time I went to play it and clicking 'Skip Track' whenever I started over so I could get Superman onto my playlist. Damn I wish they had had a list where you could pick your tracks. Still, the thought of how many hours I actually spent on that game is mind blowing.

Any old fans of theirs would remember Charlie. "Then on tuesday, mable left me, I heard she's going out with charlie ;) ). And of course the cookie dough...that's classic.

I won't go far enough to agree with the terrible live preformance, but I will agree with Feldman's singing. He can keep the tune, but he runs around so much that he runs out of breath and cuts all of his words short. You'd think you wouldn't notice that much, but you really do. Every verse seems to end too soon because of his gasping for air. He's really gotta learn to pace himself.

Chaise Boogie
12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Sometimes I think that it's because of THPS I like punk and ska. A few years ago when I listened to ska for the first time, I started to remember those soundtracks, and it clicked.

the exploited 1
12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
It also had bodyjar, Del the funky homosapien and someone else who I dont remember.

**** man. i loved Del. he was hillarious,

newyorkdolls138
12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
No, it came before both.

Leftover_Crack
12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Emo

asduihaspd9aosiuedqw

IM SICK OF THIS

Senses fail and fall out boy and all that **** arent emo.

Emo = heroin,saetia,heroin etc...

Its turned into commercialized bull****.

capsfan17
12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
^sorry buddy

Leftover_Crack
12-01-2005, 11:35 PM
^sorry buddy

No problem.
Be warned ill lynch you next time though ;)

the glue man
12-02-2005, 12:24 AM
haha Once I think about it, the THPS soundtrack got me into music. Especially punk.

:cheers:

Skunx
12-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Charlie was awesome and the band hasn't had great music since.

Greenfinger hit it right on about Johns singing. That is why they don't play good live. His singing is so terrible that its a horrible experience to watch. I don't want to repeat what you said but its very true. He never EVER sings out notes anymore.

And Senses Fail and Fall Out Boy are pretty damn emo.

waterproofpie
12-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Sometimes I think that it's because of THPS I like punk and ska. A few years ago when I listened to ska for the first time, I started to remember those soundtracks, and it clicked.

:(
I remember when people in this forum got flamed after the flux of "OMG I HEARD THIS ON TONY HAWK!" threads...seems like so many regulars in this forum regularly do this that it doesn't matter anymore.

I got into punk by hanging around record stores and through word of mouth. Not buy a 50 dollar video game.

EDIT: The verdict is in....skunx is P-P-P-P-PERMA BANNED.

yamaharider0125
12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Is Primus punk???
Because they are awesome, um this question was kind of random

Besides that, I like Goldfingers old stuff along with their new stuff, but see, I'm one of those rare people that likes EVERY kind of rock...from soft rock to death metal

...cause I'm cool like that!

Chaise Boogie
12-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I remember when people in this forum got flamed after the flux of "OMG I HEARD THIS ON TONY HAWK!" threads...seems like so many regulars in this forum regularly do this that it doesn't matter anymore.

I got into punk by hanging around record stores and through word of mouth. Not buy a 50 dollar video game.

I think you misudnderstood me. It's not because it's on the game, but because I remember enjoying it and listening to it so frequently. I would have ran into ska and punk and enjoyed it just as much, anyway.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
12-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Is Primus punk???
Because they are awesome, um this question was kind of random

Besides that, I like Goldfingers old stuff along with their new stuff, but see, I'm one of those rare people that likes EVERY kind of rock...from soft rock to death metal

...cause I'm cool like that!

Primus is an Alternative/Alt. Rock band.
:peace:

tylerishot
12-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Emo

Hearing Thursday covering Buzzcocks makes me want to die.

rpguitardude
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
i dont think theyre pop-punk theyre just making catchy songs

capsfan17
12-04-2005, 12:30 AM
^that was the most ironic thing Ive ever read.

DisgruntledDuck
12-04-2005, 04:31 AM
^^ Lol.

Has anyone heard the Goldfinger B-Sides?? They're a bit hit and miss, but there are some genuinely good ska-punk songs. It actually makes me sad, because it shows that Goldfinger still can write the type of music I think they're best at. =(

Leftover_Crack
12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Hearing Thursday covering Buzzcocks makes me want to die.

It didn't sound any diffirent.

Iluvpowerchords
12-04-2005, 09:13 PM
i dont think theyre pop-punk theyre just making catchy songs

:haha Sigged!

the glue man
12-04-2005, 09:31 PM

The one I bought was 10 dollars. And it was THPS 2 :)

thecompromise
12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
the thread starter couldnt be righter. I loved self titled hangups and stoming grounds open ur eyes was ok but they r now simple plan ish which sux

ultimate_punk
04-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Im seeing 'em next month and I couldnt wait but from reading this it has really discouraged me...I love superman, spokesman, all the cathcy fun stuff from their early albums....but i went on their sight and wasted sounds like simple plan.

y-OUCH.

does anyone know whos supporting them for the UK tour?

ss311
04-08-2006, 03:24 PM
It wasn't my game for a start. Secondly I got in to punk because my uncle was into it in 77. I just heard DK for the first time on that game. My brother got it second hand for 2 pounds sterling.

rancidbass220
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
i picked up their cd hangups a week ago.

angusfenderbend
04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Ahhhh Yeah. I love Superman. Everytime i listen to it It makes me crave that sound. I want to hear more ska songs from Goldfinger but there arent any. And that sucks. I hate most of thier stuff.....but i love that song.

Im seeing 'em next month and I couldnt wait but from reading this it has really discouraged me...I love superman, spokesman, all the cathcy fun stuff from their early albums....but i went on their sight and wasted sounds like simple plan.

y-OUCH.

does anyone know whos supporting them for the UK tour?
Spokesman is awesome too.

EDIT:^^^They had the fricken Dead Kennedys. Jello would never approve.

Oh yeah, and the singer for Goldfinger produces Avril Ladxngfusfgsfxva and Good Charlotte (EEK!)i hope he remebers that he was the one bitching about people who dont thier own songs in "spokesman".

hippy12
04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
yeah goldfinger have strayed away from their more ska sound but their early stuff was hardly ska through and through. Less than jake are the same, they have gone downhill into the pop-punk genre.

Ilikethepie
04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I completely Agree with you. I too am a huge fan of Goldfinger and have been for 6 years. You make some good point. In my opinion tough there best albums were Goldfinger and Stomping Ground even tough hang ups and Darrins Coconut A.. have some real good songs (Superman, Is she really going out with him, Just like Heaven, ect.) Another thing is A reason i think their music is changing is because of the new band members. One of them is literally EMO (in 1 of there concerts, long socks, all hair over eye) and it seems the bassist isnt devoted enough for the band.
All you see on their site now is something about the bassist selling his basses or giving classes or doing whatever. it was way better in the past when they had the crew from stomping ground. Then the guitarrist left to Costa Rica. Open your eyes had some good songs, but i agree, it does change there and even tough i enjoy some songs from "Disconnection Notice" i know its never gonna be like it used to. (I Even saw that cd in the pop section which pised me off)

Ilikethepie
04-20-2006, 10:24 PM
yeah goldfinger have strayed away from their more ska sound but their early stuff was hardly ska through and through. Less than jake are the same, they have gone downhill into the pop-punk genre.

I disagree about the Less than Jake going down. There new Cd is good and the new 1 is coming out May 23rd

NOFX-AquaCrack
04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
true.
...they did go to pop crap. it pissed me off, they were decent and then i lost respect for them

angusfenderbend
04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Speaking of less than jake....my friend and i popped in losing streak today and i remembered all of those awesome songs they did. They had a ton of talent. They had awesome shows and alot of energy and now vinnie is off producing fall out boy and Panic! At The Disco albums and writing poppy junk with only one vocal part and barely any horn parts. I love less than jake's old sound but with the crap theyve been doing lately its no wonder theyre not accepted here. The days of "Ask the Magic 8 ball", "Automatic", "Sugar in your Gas Tank" "My Own Flag" etc. are over. Ill count the official release of "in With The Out Crowd" on May 23rd the death of the bands signature sound.

Lets take a look at how albums from less than jake have changed through the years:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Pezcore.jpg
Pezcore (1995) This album was the first studio released on Dill/Asian Man Records. It was recorded in Talahasee and remastered in Tampa. It introduced fans to less than jakes punky ska sound and wacky sense of humor(obsession with pez).

Losers Kings And things We Dont Understand (1996)

Greased(1996)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Losing_streak_album_cover.jpg
Losing Streak (1996) First album released on Capitol Records. Kept up With LTJ's now defined catchy ska appeal.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Hello_rockview.jpg
Hello Rockview(1998) Now on Fat Wreck Chords less than jake reached even more mainstream audience, especially fans of nofx whose frontman Fat Mike owned the label. The album still kept of the sound but they were quickly gaining popularity.

Borders And Boundaries(2000)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/LTJanthem.jpg
Anthem (2003) Once again switching labels but now to Sire records Less Than Jake started changing their image a bit and didnt rely on horns very much anymore. They started to sound more poppy and they played gigs with more and more bands that drifted away from their scene and frequented warped tour (They would tour with Big D And The Kids Table in 2005 and gain some respect back.) This is where the majority of fans accused them of selling out and refused to buy the new album but due to LTJ's new popularity album sales would not drop.

B is For B-Sides (2004)

http://www.fueledbyramen.com/store/images/ltjCoverFinal.gif
In With The Out Crowd (2006)

Less Than Jake still mantains alot of their past but you can tell that they are quickly losing the qualities that made them different. They are starting to become a household name and are missing the point of being in a band. They seem to have forgotten why they started making music. And theyre seems to be no way to help them from falling into the mtv world.

LoudnSnotty138
04-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Deltron is the greatest rapper, i think, of all time.

I got into to punk in a similar way by hanging out at my dads friends record. and at my dads print shop. I grew up on Gordon solie motherf*ckers,9 shocks terror and the like. I didnt have a video game to do it for me. Many punk, hardcore, and metal guys worked for my dad or were friends with him, they were all cool as hell so that helped.

ayestrey
11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I am an immense fan of the early Goldfinger Punk/Ska (especially Hang-Ups, a pure ska album), but unfortunately they have decreased in my music interest, because I, for one, have found their newer music to be a total opposite of the music I once loved.

Does anyone else share these opinions? In a way I can't really denounce these guys because of my love for their on-stage antics (craziness), but at the same time I can't belive the kind of direction they've been going in recently. I enjoyed Stomping Ground, despite the obvious change of pace in their usual style of music. Open Your Eyes was pushing it for me - despite a few good songs some sounded like a song you'd expect from Simple Plan. Now, finally, all hope I have had in them has shattered, with their 'Disconnection Notice' CD. I'm not trying to say the CD isn't any good, but not for those who enjoyed the stuff some might classify in the 'Punk' genre.

The only other hard topic I'm finding is that (supposedly) John Feldman is producing Hillary Duff's newest CD. In a way I want to burn some CDs where he seemed a rebel from these types of things, but another side of me takes sympathy towards his antics - I mean, he has a wife now, and maybe even a kid, I'm not sure. He has to make money, I realize, but you'd think he might do it in a different way.

Sorry for the brief rant, but I just wanted to see if any GoldFinger fans from this site felt the same way about their current downfall.

Thanks for any discussion,
Mike

i couldn't agree more
i was listening to hang ups the other day and i realized why i liked gold finger once again apparently there next cd is going to be old school :D i hope

MX4Life
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Bull****, they will never release another CD. Every member of the damn band has a side project, it's so ****ing lame. I have no faith in them anymore.

mike2
11-23-2007, 04:21 PM
this thread is so old....