Girl Bands?

PDA

View Full Version : Girl Bands?

ionlylookscary
12-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi
I was reading around on these forums and someone said somthing like all the crappy girls bands and I'm not offended but I really started thinking about it and there really aren't very many good/ popular girl bands, right?

why do you think that is?

PS im a girl so im not sexist

Tenacious_dex
12-02-2005, 05:13 PM
I like girl bands- Sahara Hotnights for example.

It's because there aren't many of them, and their single style isn't what people like perhaps.

Edit: Now I see the poll... Hmmm... People aren't attracted to girl bands.

jimmyjimjim
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
pat benatar, **** yeah, shes pretty good

timi_hendrix
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Girls are just less interested in playing instruments?

I don't really know.

ghettohippygrrl
12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
None of your options. It's because more guys are in bands than girls are. Therefore, there are less girl bands. And when there is a girl band, it becomes a gimmick to people and music fans doubt them.

GNR4EVER
12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
The Donnas are the only one that comes to mind, I'm sure there are more though

And there are some good female shredders too

Chak
12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
There's no such thing as good girl bands. I don't think girls belong in music at all. And it's sad that I haven't seen anyone good enough to change my mind.

Will_Minus
12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Kittie and Girlschool too. Arch Enemy and Otep have female singers.

bobsyouraunt
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
when i went to see INME in manchester, there was a band with a girl singer. I forgot the name of the band, i know, useless. But neway, she didnt play an instrument but she could sing so feckin well and scream like a guy too. It was awesome.

TheEndHasNoEnd
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I like girl bands- Sahara Hotnights for example.

It's because there aren't many of them, and their single style isn't what people like perhaps.

Edit: Now I see the poll... Hmmm... People aren't attracted to girl bands.

Sahara Hotnights are an awesome band :)

Xinlitik
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
There are very few girl singers that sound good with rock imo. Fleetwood mac is decent... so is whoever sang barracuda and heartbreaker. That's about it though. (IMO)

Mui
12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
The Faders and Antigone Rising are pretty good.

x_rockin_x
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Everyone needs inspiration from other bands to start their own band right? So if there aren't that many girl bands around then girls havent got much to look up to and to inspire them.

Another reason is that (most of the time) if girls try to sing about the same kinda things that guys sing about, eg. love, sex and drugs, it starts to sound like a crappy pop songs with little girls whining on about how this guy never notices them etc...

And then theres the fact that most girs simply dont have the same strength in their voices to yell like guys do, so things sound completely different and people dont like different things.

Remember this is MOST of the time; you get some wicked female rock and punk bands, just not many! ;)

adamk991100
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
It's the way music is shaped today. I'll take metal for an example. Generally bands that play metal, death metal etc...usually are guys. I don't really have an explanation, but it's like put it this way. It's pretty weird seeing a chick scream out some Cryptopsy rather than a guy do it.:)

But in general, I don't think it has to do with the talent. It just has to do with that fact that most genres it's guys that play. I find girls tend to play more towards the pop-punk side which isn't great. Guys then don't listen and ya...

Edit: Yeah as the guy said above me, there's also a lack of inspiration. I guarantee you if there was a female Hendrix, or a female Zakk Wylde lol, girls would play more and be inspired. How do you think guys play so much? Earlier bands started rock, bands in the 90's were influenced and inspired, made music and it took off from there. Now kids today are influenced by either classic rock bands or newer bands. Either way, these bands had lots of influences and stuff...

pumpkins_rule
12-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Sleater-Kinney are the best punk-related band ever. End of Discussion. Magneta Lane are very good too. If female solo artists that write their own songs count, then Liz Pahir and Leslie Feist are quite good. And the girl in The Dresden Dolls writes all the music, and her drummer is probably replacable...

easy_target
12-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Hmmm.. I don't really know why that is? It's a good point.
But yeah, I'm a girl, and I'm really really really interested in music, and maybe one day I will be in a girl band that kicks ass :)

RoughDraft
12-02-2005, 05:28 PM
There are multiple reasons why there aren't girl bands. First of all a girl band is usually always assumed to be pop or no good which makes no sense also it's rare for four or five girls to get along creatively (I say this because I'm a girl and musically I've found guys easier to talk to about music than girls on the rare exception). Also we haven't that many female figure heads that shows us we can be "big" artists. Usually in bands the girl is the singer or keyboardist and all good/original girl bands just don't exist or are excepted in the musical buisness. Unfortunate but true.

PistolPeet
12-02-2005, 05:28 PM
when i went to see INME in manchester, there was a band with a girl singer. I forgot the name of the band, i know, useless. But neway, she didnt play an instrument but she could sing so feckin well and scream like a guy too. It was awesome.

ha, i was at that gig

pokescab
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
the spazzys are alright, but then i heard em at some free gig and the kinda sucked, so i havent listened to them since

mangus rung
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Youre all crazy. Have you ever heard of Heart or Vixen. Listen to about any of their stuff and then come and tell me that females can't play instruments

pentagram_man63
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, a girl!

Cone 21
12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Well I think the reason is that alot of girls (at least in my Highschool) don't really want to be in a real band besides just sing like everyother lip-syincing gimmic. If there is a lead singer that is a girl and the rest are guys, its because she is hot as hell and they can sing but with a ****load of EQ.I think the greatest all girl band is the IRON MADIENS, they are great musicians, do Iron Maiden covers, and they are hot, whats not to like?

mangus rung
12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
There are very few girl singers that sound good with rock imo. Fleetwood mac is decent... so is whoever sang barracuda and heartbreaker. That's about it though. (IMO)

By the way Heart sings Barracuda and heartbreaker is Pat Benatar

therussiantramp
12-02-2005, 05:45 PM
girlschool were good saw them supporting motorhead.
A band i saw recently was an all girl heavy rock band called mcqueen who were actually very decent. They're brits from brighton i believe and are currently supporting the brilliant band viking skull on their tour.
I'd reccommend them.

I bought their wristband, i managed to get one for £2.10 rather than the £3 caus i was talking to the lead singer and i only had £2.10 left in my pocket.

TimiHendrix33
12-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Heart.....

Anghellic
12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
There's some good girl bands and there's some band girl bands.

daytripper75
12-02-2005, 10:41 PM
i think the problem is that more guys are attracted to rock music and playing in bands than girls are. there are good girl bands, but since a large part of the fan base is male, they tend to probably feel threatened by girls playing rock music, and the idea that maybe theyre actually like omg good, and dare i say better than quite of few of the male rock bands!

GnRrelease_it
12-02-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't think girls belong in music at all.

how very 17th century of you.

JkHalen
12-02-2005, 11:58 PM
There's no such thing as good girl bands. I don't think girls belong in music at all. And it's sad that I haven't seen anyone good enough to change my mind.
agree completely, feel sorry for girls but it's just exacly how i feel.

TimiHendrix33
12-03-2005, 03:21 AM
agree completely, feel sorry for girls but it's just exacly how i feel.

Why shouldn't girls be in music?..there just as good in music as guys....I'm a guy, and I believe there are ton's of good bands with girls in them, if you look in the right places.

JkHalen
12-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Why shouldn't girls be in music?..there just as good in music as guys....I'm a guy, and I believe there are ton's of good bands with girls in them, if you look in the right places.
I just haven't heard a girl band good enough to convince me that girls do have a place in rock music..

Chak
12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
how very 17th century of you.

I am a girl. I just think they suck in music. Maybe there are exceptions but I won't change my mind until I see them.

Care to tell us which girl bands you think are good? The only one that comes to mind is L7.

travel sized
12-03-2005, 10:57 AM
One all girl band that I really enjoy is the Devotchkas. Check 'em out. They had two singers (that I know of). Both sounded really different. They're all girls and I think they're pretty ****ing good.

Also The Germs bassist was a girl. The Diffs also have a girl bassist.

EDIT: My girlfriends also in an all girl band. They don't have any MP3's, but they're pretty good. Their singer moved though...

Gabuydachk
12-03-2005, 11:32 AM
there are good girl bands, but there aren't as many women in the music industry. here's some good female musicians:
the Great Kat: amazing shredder
Ani DiFranco: nice voice, good guitarist
Janis Joplin: great songer
Carol Kaye: bassist, jazz guitarist
Sister Rosseta Tharpe: good guitarist, vocalist

there are many, many others

Four-Sticks
12-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Aretha Franklin
pwnt

Zevious Zoquis
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
LOL, the Go-Go's, Janis Joplin, Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, The Bangles, Deborah Harry, Veruca Salt, Kim Deal/The Breeders, Bif Naked, Neko Case...theres chicks in rock and they belong just as much as anyone else.

IROBOTInferno
12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Heart and the Runaways are good, even though Heart wasn't all girls, and Katrina Johannsen is Michael Angelo Batio protege, and she can play better than any female, and most males I have ever seen.

i_strum_i_drum
12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
it is so close-minded to say that no girl bands are good, or girls aren't good in bands, as if gender affects musical ability.

i think at times the thing is that girls tend to approach music differently than boys do.

skeptopotamus
12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Im not applying the following to all females.

Alot of the females I know who play guitar/bass/sing/drum/etc are more into playing from their heart and playing emotion and what not while a lot of guys i know learn technique etc. Girls tend to begin writing songs earlier into their time as a guitarist while it takes guys longer. That doesn't mean that either gender(which is different than sex) is better or worse than the other, more or less a step sideways (i.e. a different approach).

discuss.

Joan Jett, Wendy O'Williams, Janis Joplin...just naming a few good ones.

Otep Shamaya, to name a shitty one.

websurfer
12-04-2005, 10:18 PM
The obvious one that comes to mind
Doro Pesch

The not so obvious
phantom blue

-->I heard the all women Iron Maiden tribute album; and that was really bad.

There are women in bands. Examples include Kamelot (extra vocals), My Dying Bride (keyboardist), Lacuna Coil (singer), Arch Enemy (singer), old nightwish (singer). Those are the only ones that come to mind.

Kitson_The_Bass
12-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I've seen quite a few girl bands lately (from the UK) and they've all been pretty good. To name a few: The Suffrajets, The Tommys & Self-Inflicted (girl singer).

Katie123
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM

You are a real jerk. Maybe you should go back to the stone age.

rayIII
12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
The Donnas are the only one that comes to mind, I'm sure there are more though

And there are some good female shredders too
:cheers:

oh and could someone post a vid of a girl shredder? i've heard about a vid of one but i cant find it

Four-Sticks
12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
^Jennifer Batten is the only worthwhile one that I can think of.
There's The Great Kat, of course, but she sucks.

Katie123
12-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Shirley Manson, Sheryl Crow, Fiona Apple, Alanis Morrisette, and Chrissy Hynde are all awesome singers.

Has Many Issues
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Angela Gassow is a great singer. "Screamer".

(Lead singer of Arch Enemy)

telemaster1952
12-06-2005, 10:45 AM
the donnas, halo friendlies

YAY_FOR_PIE
12-06-2005, 07:42 PM
The only good girl band I know of are Sahara Hotnights.

wilty00
12-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Chak is a girl (or so she likes to think:p: )... if a girl herself can say that, its gotta have something heading in the right direction.

i_strum_i_drum
12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
to say 50% of the human race doesn't make good music is a proposterous concept.

skeptopotamus
12-09-2005, 07:59 PM
^Actually 63%. There are many more females than males. In strict terms of numbers, males are a minority, but legally and politically we all know who has the upper hand.

i_strum_i_drum
12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
haha
i just remembered what homer simpson said.

"People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that."

skeptopotamus
12-09-2005, 08:14 PM
It's not a statistic, it's a percentage. 63 PERCENT of people on earth are female. It's not rocket surgery.

i_strum_i_drum
12-09-2005, 08:17 PM
i'm just being silly :)

skeptopotamus
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah you would be wouldnt ya.

Chak
12-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Yeah I am, whatcha gonna do about it? I'm expressing my opinion on female musicians and if you can't respect that, then you're the jerk. Fuck off or prove me wrong.

Female equality/girl power/whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm just saying that the majority of female musicians that I've seen in genres I like are not good in my opinion. There are exceptions, of course, but that is what I think. And I'd have to agree with whoever said that girls approach music differently than guys do.

Katie123
12-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Yeah I am, whatcha gonna do about it? I'm expressing my opinion on female musicians and if you can't respect that, then you're the jerk. Fuck off or prove me wrong.

Female equality/girl power/whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm just saying that the majority of female musicians that I've seen in genres I like are not good in my opinion. There are exceptions, of course, but that is what I think. And I'd have to agree with whoever said that girls approach music differently than guys do.

What genres of music do you like asshole? Explain exactly how females approach music differently than males? I see you like drag queen vocalists considering your picture.

skeptopotamus
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
ooh this kitten's got claws...

Katie123
12-09-2005, 11:33 PM

Are you sad RuPaul hasn't put out a CD since the early '90s?

ibanez666
12-09-2005, 11:34 PM
what about kittie, their a girl band arn't they?

skeptopotamus
12-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Yes, and they suck too.

Green_Fox
12-09-2005, 11:40 PM
how about evenescence. i think they're pretty good.
yes no maybe

skeptopotamus
12-10-2005, 02:01 AM
No. It's not just their chick...the whole band sucks. But that's just me.

Katie123
12-10-2005, 02:37 AM
I think that there just simply aren't enough female vocalists and female bands given exposure that are good. Calling Lindsay Lohan and Ashlee Simpson rockers sickens me. No one would care if Lohan and Ashlee stopped singing becuase they suck ****.

Chak
12-10-2005, 11:24 AM
What genres of music do you like asshole? Explain exactly how females approach music differently than males? I see you like drag queen vocalists considering your picture.

I like a bit of everything. I've listened to enough music to know what is shit and what isnt. Taking a stab at the music that I listen to won't get you anywhere, honey. How retarded is that to insult musicians I respect by the way they look when you can't even tell me what I asked before. Give me a list of female musicians that you believe are talented and we'll see what happens from there. No need to be rude about it, I have been polite enough to explain why I think female musicians aren't good. Females, in my opinion (which it looks like you can't respect), approach music differently because they're not as serious about music as males are. I know this because I am a girl. It's funny how you thought I was a guy and being discriminatory. Learn more before you take a stab at someone, don't assume. And by the way, that's Layne Staley in my avatar, one of the greatest vocalists of all time.

:haha You're a cunt, I hope you know that. Judging musicians by the way they look, that's just low. Notice how I'm not taking a stab at anything you listen to because I'm not that juvenile. Grow up a little bit before you get into an argument with me.

Layne Staley=Avatar:

http://www.rockstar.it/news/img/layne_staley_L2.jpg

A man in drag, clearly.

pentagram_man63
12-10-2005, 11:42 AM
^ lol pwned.

Harmonius
12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I like a bit of everything. I've listened to enough music to know what is shit and what isnt. Taking a stab at the music that I listen to won't get you anywhere, honey. How retarded is that to insult musicians I respect by the way they look when you can't even tell me what I asked before. Give me a list of female musicians that you believe are talented and we'll see what happens from there. No need to be rude about it, I have been polite enough to explain why I think female musicians aren't good. Females, in my opinion (which it looks like you can't respect), approach music differently because they're not as serious about music as males are. I know this because I am a girl. It's funny how you thought I was a guy and being discriminatory. Learn more before you take a stab at someone, don't assume. And by the way, that's Layne Staley in my avatar, one of the greatest vocalists of all time.

:haha You're a cunt, I hope you know that. Judging musicians by the way they look, that's just low. Notice how I'm not taking a stab at anything you listen to because I'm not that juvenile. Grow up a little bit before you get into an argument with me.

Layne Staley=Avatar:

http://www.rockstar.it/news/img/layne_staley_L2.jpg

A man in drag, clearly.

Chak's a girl? Lyke OMFGZ!!!!111 :liplick:

I hate almost all, all-girl bands, but that doesn't mean they can't play right. The Donnas are pretty good. I like a lot of female fronted bands though.

Chak
12-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I hate almost all, all-girl bands, but that doesn't mean they can't play right. The Donnas are pretty good. I like a lot of female fronted bands though.

Well I did say a few posts back that there were some exceptions, L7, for example. I don't believe The Donnas are very good at all though :p: And you know I hate Alanis :p:

Harmonius
12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
^
- Charlotte Hatherley
- Nessa
- Sixpence none the richer
- Tsunami Bomb
- Alanis Morissette
- Breeders
- L7
- Old Evanescence

Awesome female fronted bands. I love these bands' music.

mmm... ice
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
The Breeders
L-7
Veruca Salt
Bikini Kill
Hole
Babes in toyland
the Gits
Some Vaselines songs
Some Pixies songs
Pj Harvey
Patti Smith
Janis Joplin
Shonen Knife
Sinead O'connor
Early Blondie

All good female bands

skeptopotamus
12-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Hole
Courtney Love should not be allowed anywhere near a musical instrument, as she will give it herpes, thus fucking up the gear.

Janis Joplin
Word.

Early Blondie
Word. Too bad Debbie can't really hit notes like she used to.

mmm... ice
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
I just put hole in their for one or two of there songs because they are catchy

skeptopotamus
12-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Females, in my opinion (which it looks like you can't respect), approach music differently because they're not as serious about music as males are.
I wouldn say they're not as serious, but I would say they take different parts of it seriously: passion in their music for one. The chicks I know take the emotional and soulful parts of their songs a lot more seriously than guys. Does that mean their musical priorities are wrong? Maybe...

mmm... ice
12-10-2005, 02:10 PM
there are lots of good Girl bands you just gotta look pretty hard to find them because rock music is a more male dominated music which of course isn't fair. There are loads of Girl bands that are great who take music more serious than guys.

AxeAbuser#2
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
the donnas. hmm i would bang them all silly (and they play okish music). i dont think its a sexist thing, i just think women/girls can feel intimidated by the men when it comes to playing music.

skeptopotamus
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
^Exactly. Just like in the military, women drill seargents are feared because to many, they have something to prove. It could be rooted into their superego and may not be apperent to even them, but the "Short Man's Complex*" as it can be called, is a strong impetus toward being successful.

*Short Man's Complex- Short people in the military are toughest because they need to prove that their height is not something to get in their way.

In music, a lot of females are passionate about their music, sometimes to excess, for fear of sexists nay sayers. Sometimes they feel they have to prove themselves to be just as good as a man. Passion can be very blinding towards the right goal. The right goal should be to make music, not to prove dedication. If you can prove that you can make music, then your dedication has already been proven; no need to get so wrapped up in emotion.

I think that stigma would go away if female and male musicians would let go of the prejudice that female musicians aren't as capable. If no one cares as to who's more capable or not, then there's nothing to worry about. If females felt they had nothing to prove and if males thought females had nothing to prove, then every thing would be merry.
Just thought I'd offer a half-assed sociological perspective.

misfits385
12-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Otep is the only band that comes to mind.

skeptopotamus
12-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Too bad they suck

Chak
12-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I wouldn say they're not as serious, but I would say they take different parts of it seriously: passion in their music for one. The chicks I know take the emotional and soulful parts of their songs a lot more seriously than guys. Does that mean their musical priorities are wrong? Maybe...

I could agree with that, I guess. Lots of music I listen to is emotional though. I think the thing that bugs me most about girls is their dedication to their instrument. I'm just talking about myself here, just so Katie knows and doesn't try miserably to argue with me again, but I go through periods of time where I want to play guitar, so I learn technical things and then the next week or two after, I don't want to play for weeks at a time. I've never heard any guys say that that's happened to them though, they seem to be more dedicated in learning how to play. Just my observation. So I believe that the majority of female musicians are like myself, because I can tell. There are exceptions though, like in everything else.

Jeeze, where is Nat when I need her :p:

Chak
12-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Layne Staley died April 5, 2002 of a heroin and cocaine overdose and I think you need to stop worshipping him. How can you constantly listen to Man in a Box. How depressing.

Try quoting me properly next time, that was a little confusing. I don't worship him at all, you're just assuming again. He's from a little band called Alice in Chains, I don't know if you know that but I'm going to inform you assuming you don't, and they just so happen to be my favorite band. It's Man in the box and it ain't depressing at all, honey.

And how did this get so off topic? I believe you were calling me an asshole and insulting a dead man before calling Alice in Chains depressing.

DaddyTwoFoot
12-10-2005, 07:17 PM
because rock music is a more male dominated music which of course isn't fair.

It's unfair that more chicks don't go out and play music? It's not a sexist thing, it's a priority thing. A lot of girls simply don't like rock music as much as guys do. Not a thing unfair about it.

Harmonius
12-10-2005, 07:46 PM

Kaite just shut up and quit whining. The end of the day, Chak > You. You don't even deserve to be compared. Chaks right, never assume. The more depressing a song is, the better. More thought is put in and more effort to sing it right. You asked a ****ing question and she responded. If you don't like it, why bother asking in the first place?

:rolleyes:

Sarah_B91
12-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I dont know many girl bands but my favourite would be Bikini Kill.
I think its just that guys are more into rock music than girls and theres nothing really wrong with that but when people start dissing girl bands its just sad.

Katie123
12-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Kaite just shut up and quit whining. The end of the day, Chak > You. You don't even deserve to be compared. Chaks right, never assume. The more depressing a song is, the better. More thought is put in and more effort to sing it right. You asked a ****ing question and she responded. If you don't like it, why bother asking in the first place?

:rolleyes:

Good night Amy Lee and shut up

Chak
12-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Watch yourself. I've looked at some of your posts and you sound like a feminist, Guns N' Roses hating, close-minded bitch. Please learn to respect other people's opinions and think before you post.

NicktheGreek
12-10-2005, 09:10 PM
But first of all Katie, remember to cook my dinner and suck my dick before you go posting on the Internet.

weezergeek182
12-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Cub was a good girl band. and that dog (although their drummer was a guy their were three girls.)

Katie123
12-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Liz Phair's CD's from the 90s are good. Sleater-Kinney, Sonic Youth, Garbage, Veruca Salt, Pixies, and Breeders are all good.

Riryoku
12-11-2005, 12:55 AM
There's a death metal band called Matriarch from Puerto Rico. The noises that those ladies make are scary.

skeptopotamus
12-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Liz Phair's CD's from the 90s are good. Sleater-Kinney, Sonic Youth, Garbage, Veruca Salt, Pixies, and Breeders are all good.
One man's trash is another chick's treasure.

skeptopotamus
12-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Such a cute little feminist. I like it when you get angry...rawr.

Edit: Avenge Sevenfold sucks. Guy bands can suck too...

Harmonius
12-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Good night Amy Lee and shut up

I like the other Katie better. No offence to you really, you're just a little bit over the top. I don't understand why you're all bothered about these guys posting pictures of half naked women. If you were here longer, you'd see that girls do it just as much with half naked pictures of guys. If you don't understand why, I suggest you grow up because you're probably 12.

The question was a simple debate, why are you leading it to be something it's not? Stop hi-jacking the thread and fvck right off. No one wants to hear you bitch about that here, notice how almost everyone, including girls told you to piss off.

----------------------
I reckon girls have a lot of talent, most just can't play guitar as well as most guys can. I'm not being sexist here, it's a fact. It could be because there are less females in this rock/metal etc industry. What I really hate are guitars like daisyrock, which singles out guitars just for girls, and most of them look really stupid. Why not give them a proper guitar? A guitar made for girls (because of the colour) is just sad. You can get guitar in all sizes and colours.

the_legend
12-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Katie123 is wrong

chaka is right

end.

Chak
12-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Go back to listening to your G'nR and Avenged Sevenfold you sexist ****head. By the way your avatar is repulsive. I hate the word chick you dick.

Exactly what I saw in every post I looked at :haha This chick's hilarious, so easily offended :p:

jesusgonewrong
12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I think they can play punk, emo & regualr rock fine but they suck more than a french ***** when it comes to metal. They lack the special K crunch!

Glen_Hansard
12-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Katie123, I've reported you for flaming. Have a nice, female vocalist filled day ;)

EDIT: And stay away from Chaka, who is my ho'.

mud
12-11-2005, 10:49 AM
How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One to screw it in, the other to suck my cock.

Glen_Hansard
12-11-2005, 10:54 AM
How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One to screw it in, the other to suck my cock.

:eek:

Anyway, on topic, some female vocalists are good, like Janis Joplin. But most of the time, female vocals just don't suit rock. Nightwish is good, though.

mud
12-11-2005, 11:02 AM
There are good female fronted bands and female solo artists. I'll think of an example for each, to supplement my argument -

The yeah yeah yeahs (female-fronted indie band, who rock in my opinion and have a great rock and roll character fronting them)

PJ Harvey (solo artist and eclectic collaborator, and one of the best singer/songwriters in rock)

But you'll see less women than men in rock/alternative music. For whatever reason men are more likely to want to be serious musicians. There's nothing wrong with this, and nothing discriminatory. The reason there are less women playing music is because less women want to.

What puzzles me about militant feminists is the way they seem to want to force members of their gender to do things that they don't already do, or think vehemently that they should.

gpderek09
12-11-2005, 05:12 PM
note to self: never piss chaka off.

sometimes chicks are dedicated. but a lot of times they just put off their instrument. like chaka said. like all the girls "musicians" in my town, play piano once a month and always ask me to teach them guitar, but never follow through.

i_strum_i_drum
12-11-2005, 06:27 PM
i think the difference is in the approach

female-fronted bands worth listening to
veda, denali, fiona apple, rilo kiley, the kills, the yeah yeah yeahs.

EmoRammsteinFan
12-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Me, my sis, and a friend are starting to make a All Girl Band... :D ...were gonna be Rock/Punk probebly....well i think, cant really tell yet...were just gonna make whatever music we want.But were not gonna be one of those screaming bands...(they are scary :eek: )

x_rockin_x
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
The problem is, (usually) when a bunch of girls get together to make an all-girl band, it either works for a couple of months and then fades out, or they turn into a pop/punk band, kinda like a female Mcfly. Most of the time girls cant sing about the same things as guys and be taken seriously.

EmoRammsteinFan
12-12-2005, 01:11 PM
The problem is, (usually) when a bunch of girls get together to make an all-girl band, it either works for a couple of months and then fades out, or they turn into a pop/punk band, kinda like a female Mcfly. Most of the time girls cant sing about the same things as guys and be taken seriously.Well, i guess it depend's on who the girls are...i think that my band(Soon to be anyway)...could be taken seriously...if we get that far....it is possible though :D

gpderek09
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
^ i think that's what they all said.

IronBeard
12-13-2005, 02:17 PM
There are plenty of fantastic bands with females in them (Rachel's, ”Forward, Russia!, The Arcade Fire, etc, etc.), but I have yet to hear an all-girl band which sounded particularly original or interesting to me...

rockergurl09
12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I think it's because of bad associations, because most of them turn out to be really bad rock/pop bands, and pop tends to be a girl's realm anyway. Yeah, it's just harder to get past that bad association. That's why only the elite get past that barrier.

That's why I'm not going to sing in my future band, I'll just play guitar. Why not? The girl guitarist in the White Stripes didn't have any such barrier because she isn't head of the band.

gpderek09
12-29-2005, 12:04 AM
^ the girl in the stripes plays drums... jack sings and plays guitar.

elcapitanloco
12-29-2005, 03:02 AM
I think that rock music is like like science and engineering in this aspect. Women generally don't have as much an interest in it as men, and so it has become male-dominated. However, I don't think that all female and mixed gender bands are intrinsically worse (or better, for that matter) than male bands.

Most of the people on this forum are fans of classic rock, metal and shred. This is rather unfortunate when discussing this subject because most of the good girl bands (at least ones that I listen to) are indie. So, here's a list of ( mostly good, in my opinion) bands with females:

The Organ (all female)
Pixies
Sonic Youth
the New Pornographers
the Arcade Fire
the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
the Fiery Furnaces
Stereolab
My Bloody Valentine

I'll probably remember some other ones later.

luvarmenians
12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
i hope there's no true stereotype about girls in rock bands. if there is i'm screwed. however, that's not going to stop me from shoving it in all those judgemental ****head's faces.

Utci
12-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok... girl bands... there aren't a lot, bands with girls or singles yes. I like some, but people don't like the bands just because, you hear a girl band, you're gay, i think thats the point :P. "Girls don't belong to music" that is a male comment, obviously :P.

grunger_matt
12-31-2005, 09:36 AM
i think there arent enough girl bands. but im glad someone mentioned L7 and Hole cause theyre my two favourites. no one mentioned bikini kill i dont think, theyre from the nineties and theyre cool

Chak
12-31-2005, 09:42 AM
"Girls don't belong to music" that is a male comment, obviously:P.

Nope, I'm a girl and I said that.

Edit: And Bikini Kill is an exception aswell, they're really good :p:

grunger_matt
12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
i dont know why people dont like hole, could someone explain.
ps thats a cool avatar _ChAkA_

Chak
12-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks, you know where it's from? :p:

Edit: And I think most people jump on the "I hate Hole" bandwagon because it's Courtney Love.

grunger_matt
12-31-2005, 10:36 AM
i think its from the rooster video but i may be wrong :D . i dont hate courtney love shes been through so much i feel sorry her, i mean with Kurt dying and everyone turning against her cause of it, its kinda insane

fender188
12-31-2005, 10:40 AM
The problem is, (usually) when a bunch of girls get together to make an all-girl band, it either works for a couple of months and then fades out, or they turn into a pop/punk band, kinda like a female Mcfly. Most of the time girls cant sing about the same things as guys and be taken seriously.

yes, id be scary to see a girl singing about love for other girls.

Chak
12-31-2005, 10:50 AM
i think its from the rooster video but i may be wrong :D . i dont hate courtney love shes been through so much i feel sorry her, i mean with Kurt dying and everyone turning against her cause of it, its kinda insane

You're right, it's from Rooster :D And yeah, I don't hate Courtney either, I think she's pretty talented.

grunger_matt
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
hooray, someone who thinks like me for once :p:

mmm... ice
12-31-2005, 01:54 PM
no one mentioned bikini kill i dont think, theyre from the nineties and theyre cool

I mentioned them i think.

Utci
12-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Nope, I'm a girl and I said that.

Edit: And Bikini Kill is an exception aswell, they're really good :p:
But why?, it's like when woman don't had same rights as man, and the truth it's they are the same.

greensand
12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I think most girls would rather watch a guitarist play than learn to play a guitar..

I on the other hand after watching a great guitarist want to play right away.

but then again I'm more in touch with my masculine side so maybe that's it..

ummm... I'm no tomboy but I'm no girly girl either :p

rockergurl09
01-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I think that rock music is like like science and engineering in this aspect. Women generally don't have as much an interest in it as men, and so it has become male-dominated. However, I don't think that all female and mixed gender bands are intrinsically worse (or better, for that matter) than male bands.

Most of the people on this forum are fans of classic rock, metal and shred. This is rather unfortunate when discussing this subject because most of the good girl bands (at least ones that I listen to) are indie. So, here's a list of ( mostly good, in my opinion) bands with females:

The Organ (all female)
Pixies
Sonic Youth
the New Pornographers
the Arcade Fire
the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
the Fiery Furnaces
Stereolab
My Bloody Valentine

I'll probably remember some other ones later.

Yeah, B-52's and Joan Jett, old but existant

the_me_effect
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
the reason why girl bands don't do so well is because

A) most fans are girls. and girls have crushes on guys. and so the girl who has a crush on the guy (eg. a really hot lead guitarist in a band) will go and buy his album either to hear his voice or to oggle at him on the cover. and girls are more emotional (not that it's a bad thing, i'm a girl too!) so we tend to turn to music to ease our injured souls.

B) girl bands somehow have less credibility. don't ask me why. maybe record producers don't want to deal with the temper tantrums, mood swings and "time of the month" problems

C) I don't quite understand why, but most people think guitars and drums and basses are "guy" intstruments. meaning, girls are supposed to go learn cooking, the piano/violin, oggle at boys and be obsessed with their looks and make up.

I was watching the eagles and fell in love with the guitar right away. I'm no tomboy but I sure as hell am not a make-up obsessed freak.

I only know of one rock/punk/ska band that did fantastically with a girl as a leadsinger - no doubt. gwen totally out-shone all the guys in the band, admit it. she is just fantastic and when you mention no doubt, i bet the first thing that pops into anyone's mind is gwen.

oh and the faders and the donnas are good

CowsWithGuns
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
^ WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

1. The only girls who exclusively listen to music because they think a guy is hot and to ease their injured souls are 12 year old, suburban, drama queens with rich parents who would be too busy watching Laguna Beach to care about starting a serious band.

2. If you honestly think that males are above temper flares, mood swings and general bitchiness then you must not have ever met any males. Besides, no chick over the age of 14 is unable to control her "time of the month" problems to at least a moderate extent.

3.......No.....Just no.

the_me_effect
01-10-2006, 09:24 PM
^ well, admit it, where is the biggest market in the music industry?? teenage girls. it's not like some old geezer in a retirement home is going to listen to the faders or even green day for that matter. record producers want to cater to teh biggest market and the biggest market is teenage girls. and admit it - you were a teenage, boy-crazy girl before too.

CowsWithGuns
01-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Not really actually. And the question isn't wether or not girl bands make money in the mainstream music industry, it wether they have a place in the rock music scene or not.

frippogenics
01-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I've never heard a good girl band, but that doesn't mean that they do not belong in music. Janis Joplin, Grace Slick (hot ;)) and Maureen Tucker (drummer for the Velvet Underground) just to name a couple off my head.

the_me_effect
01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
^^ they absolutely belong in the music scene. women should get as many opportunities as men. look at evanessence, no doubt, the yeah, yeah, yeahs. they're all good and relatively popular.

Chak
01-10-2006, 09:36 PM
They're relatively popular ;) Amy Lee does have a good voice but she doesn't tickle my pink. And those are only female fronted bands, we can assume the better part of the music is made by the rest of the band, who are male.

gpderek09
01-10-2006, 09:37 PM
chak, chak, chak, chak!

:headbang:

frippogenics
01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
How could I be so silly. I forgot Joan Baez. She was pretty, and had loads of talent. A great songwriter and fingerpicker.

greensand
01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
^ well, admit it, where is the biggest market in the music industry?? teenage girls. it's not like some old geezer in a retirement home is going to listen to the faders or even green day for that matter. record producers want to cater to teh biggest market and the biggest market is teenage girls. and admit it - you were a teenage, boy-crazy girl before too.

I agree with CowsWithGuns.

You know, If Britney Spears can sell millions of albums so can any girl band that comes out that actually sounds good (well, decent).
So the teenage girls thing can't really be one of the deciding factor.

Flea's#1fan
01-11-2006, 07:09 AM
The Distillers, No Doubt, Hole and Auf Der Maur are the only ones that spring to mind and Distillers are easily the best out of them....because Brody acts and sings like a guy!!

marius47
01-11-2006, 07:26 PM
one word kittie they are the best band in the world

Catch23
01-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know too many all girl bands but when you mix distorted guitars with female vocals you get beautiful music.......In My Opinion.

skeptopotamus
01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
one word kittie they are the best band in the world
I have a question.

What's one thing the members of Kittie have that your post doesn't?

Periods.

Punctuation is your friend.

frippogenics
01-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I have a question.

Periods.

Punctuation os your friend.

Outstanding burn. For more info, return to your sig.

skeptopotamus
01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Why thank you Frip. Your praise will help me sleep tonight.

molly's_lips54
01-18-2006, 07:06 PM

close minded asshole, thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how many female bands have you actaully listened to then? have you ever heard of lita ford, doro pesch, janis joplin, heart, the runaways, L7? how about female musicians outside of rock n roll? you make it sound like no female belongs in music, and thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. i could name so many more great female musicians, the reason there arent many mainstream female rockers is probably because a.)they either exploit their sexuality to sell records and come off as phony b.)they choose to take their musical talents elsewhere besides rock, or c.)they just havent been discovered yet. there is no proof or logic to the mentality that "women cant play rock because they are weak, only men can because they have a penis." you just really got me going.

gpderek09
01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a question.

Periods.

Punctuation is your friend.
:haha

wow, that was amazing, thank you skeptopotamus!

skeptopotamus
01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
You're welcome gpderek09. You're welcome.

Chak
01-18-2006, 11:30 PM

close minded asshole, thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how many female bands have you actaully listened to then? have you ever heard of lita ford, doro pesch, janis joplin, heart, the runaways, L7? how about female musicians outside of rock n roll? you make it sound like no female belongs in music, and thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. i could name so many more great female musicians, the reason there arent many mainstream female rockers is probably because a.)they either exploit their sexuality to sell records and come off as phony b.)they choose to take their musical talents elsewhere besides rock, or c.)they just havent been discovered yet. there is no proof or logic to the mentality that "women cant play rock because they are weak, only men can because they have a penis." you just really got me going.

Jeeze, why don't people read throught the whole fucking thread? I'm not close-minded at all. I said there were exceptions. L7 was one of them. Bikini Kill, another. Heart, another. Females outside of rock and roll are just as bad to me, it's my fucking opinion. There are tons of mainstream female musicians, but the problem is that they're not musicians. I guarantee you someone else writes their songs or the better part of the band, who are male, writes the music at least. And I am a girl, I know what the fuck I'm talking about. Read through all of my arguements from shitheads like you calling me on and post a smart, sensible answer next time.

And I'm sorry if I came off strong, I'm loaded on caffine and Advil cause I'm cramming for exams.

Ampeg J
04-10-2006, 11:39 PM
"..close minded asshole, thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how many female bands have you actaully listened to then? have you ever heard of lita ford, doro pesch, janis joplin, heart, the runaways, L7? how about female musicians outside of rock n roll? you make it sound like no female belongs in music, and thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard" .....

Amen.

I am HUGE Runaways fan ( and thus Lita Ford and Joan Jett fan by extension ). and Heart. and Sarah Mclachlan for that matter ( not really "rock", but what a TALENT ).

I can't believe that this nonsense is even being entertained by supposedly rational people in the 21st Century.

and i'm a guy.

Ampeg J
04-10-2006, 11:41 PM
There are a lot of great female songwriters.

My daughter is going to be one of them. :)

aic_rooster
04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
D'arcy formerly of the pumpkins kicks ass...

Jdoc
04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
heart is a great girl band, but none really since them.

Geek_Aus
04-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Magic Dirt have a girl singer, and she also plays guitar, and is really good.
And there's also D'Arcy from the pumpkins
Kim from Sonic Youth
Meg from The White Stripes
Britt from Neon
Sleater-Kinney

The thing with girls doing the whole rock thing is that people don't take them seriously because of a lack of masculinity.

greensand
04-11-2006, 09:45 AM
^I don't think it's a lack of masculinity.
It's more of a lack of originality.
A lot of them don't have anything that makes them stand out or grab people's attention (cleavage, midriffs, and legs just don't cut it in rock music. apparently.)

skeptopotamus
04-11-2006, 11:06 AM
D'arcy formerly of the pumpkins kicks ass...
I quite agree.

Silver Rocket
04-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm suprised Babes in Toyland have only been mentioned once. I think there pretty good. Yeah, I can name a few good girl bands and bands with girls in them:

The Distillers
Seven Year Bitch
Bikini Kill
Hole
Sonic Youth
Katastrophy Wife
be your own PET
Janis Joplin
Blondie
ect, ect, ect.

I'm not a feminist, just most good girl bands happen to be Riot Grrrl

There happens to be a thing on TV called "Girls Rock Too!" as I type.

_ZE_
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi
I was reading around on these forums and someone said somthing like all the crappy girls bands and I'm not offended but I really started thinking about it and there really aren't very many good/ popular girl bands, right?

why do you think that is?

PS im a girl so im not sexist

I like girl bands. I havent really heard many though. Only ones i know are otep, arch enemy, and kittie! I do know some people that dont listen to bands just because the singer is a girl! The suck! Arch enemy and otep are good bands

guitarkid26
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, well I am in a band, and I'm a girl. Now, of course it's not the same cause we obviously dont have a deal, or anything like that. The thing is...some people say they suck..well my band just does it for fun, and even so, we dont suck.

guitarkid26
05-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Ok, well I am in a band, and I'm a girl. Now, of course it's not the same cause we obviously dont have a deal, or anything like that. The thing is...some people say they suck..well my band just does it for fun, and even so, we dont suck.

I think the reason everyone thinks girl bands suck, is because all the bands that WOULD be cool that have girls, usually turn into solo pple. Like, self titled...basically the "singers" with the bands that get no credit whatsoever. If some of those were an actualy band, It would show girl bands could be cool.

I also hate it when people say boys are better at guitar than girls...some kids in my class were like "Oh yeh we are cool...look at this we can play a song on guitar" Suprise, Suprise..smoke on the water :rolleyes: I just show em up with some real guitar....muahhahhaa

Matt_Malmsteen
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM
I have no idea why there aren't so many girl bands to be honest, most of the girl bands I've heard I like.

Maybe a good reason that girls bands aren't uber popular is becuase people don't take them seriously, they either figure it's going to be pop crap, or that as soon as one of the girls has some PMT the entire band will hate each other etc...

y2james2005
05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
i think there are more boy rock bands than girl rock bands so there arent really much good just girl bands. i think thats because girls dont generally play guitar if there musicians, they choose piano, flute, violyn....so they dont do rock music. which is cool really, i mean there are tons of guitarists around so to play violyn or flute or whatever is original and they sound awesome too

Lukeisonfire
05-19-2006, 05:47 PM
O wow i feel gay for saying this. I have been listening to bands with a girl in them. Great bands like
The yeah yeah yeahs
L7
Lacuna Coil * they sounded pretty good to me*
Flyleaf *i like that new single*
Smashing pumpkins

Matt_Malmsteen
05-19-2006, 07:57 PM
^^Why do you feel gay?

Is liking girls gay? :eek:

greensand
05-19-2006, 11:46 PM
^lol

hardrock1315
05-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I just got the Soviettes LP and it's awesome.

Amy_Lee
05-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Kittie and Slunt were good but they were like one-hit wonders :sad:

Matt_Malmsteen
05-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Kittie are still going^^

Amy_Lee
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
^^haven't heard anything from them for a while

Matt_Malmsteen
05-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Aaah I see, well Until The End is worth checking out, here's a single from it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsREE3Zu8UY&search=Into%20the%20darkness

bellydancer_123
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
the only girl band i listen to is kittie

joshsirjoshules
05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Not all-girl bands, but Blondie, The Pretenders, Heart, and Fleetwood Mac all have girls in them and they're pretty damn good.

JackTheKorn
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Alright.. Have any of you heard of Jack off Jill or Ani DIfranco? Kittie even?
And if not.. Arch Enemy(sounds like a dude, but DEFINETLY is not)? Point is, Girls can play just as good... It doesn't matter what gender is. But, yes, Adam, I agree completely, It's the way music is shaped today.

fieroboy_gt
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Drain STH
the donnas
Fly Leaf
Kittie
otep
Crisis
nightwish
jack off jill
Nashville pussy (the guitarist an bassest are chicks an they play topless alot)
kaining amy
13 winters
L7
10000 maniacs
lisa loeb
hillary collins
the great kat
josie an the pussy cats (I can jam out to some of there tunesfrom the movie)

all these bands kick ass, maybe you guys are just afraid to run in to some off these hardcore bitches an get your ass kicked. Or played under the table.

I cant think of one of the bitch bands but they use to **** each other while they were on stage proforming. an they were a metal out fit. nothing better than strap ons an guitars

European Son
07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I think there are two reasons.

1. People aren't attracted to girl bands. I'm not saying I approve of that or that it applies to me, but generally, that the way it is. Unfortunately.

2. Few girls play instruments and take their instrument playing as seriously as guys do. I don't know the reason for that, but that is the way it is. Just go to a local show and see for yourself how many of these bands are all-girl bands. Most likely none.

cherry_bomb
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
There are a few girlbands I like and I think theyre good yeah. But concerning vocals, I prefer male vocals, somehow, way more. And girls shouldnt scream (well, alright, there are a few who cant pull it off, but most are annoying).
Plus, from what I have noticed, a lot of girl bassist dont do much more than following the rootnotes. yeah guys do it too, but almost every girlband dont have interesting basslines at all.

and oh, I am a girl myself.

Filter
07-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't have a problem with girl bands. Just look at the 'Go-Go's' or the 'Bangles'. Both punk bands from LA. They were kind've the first punk all-girl bands to get on the music scene. I think the problem is part sexism.. Some people think that girls can't live up to the Rock scenes. But a lot of good bands have women in them and have had tremmendous success. Like Evenescense (Amy Lee). There are plenty of women band icons though. Like D'Arcy Wretzky (The Smashing Pumpkins), Or Sean Yseult (White Zombie). But overall I think Amy Lee is the biggest at this time.

iheart_a7x
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Paramore!!
and Joan Jett of course

SGK531
07-29-2007, 12:05 PM
No Girls Allowed? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19175-2004Aug20.html)

This is an article I read a while back. If you want to read it all, I think it lays out the situation pretty nicely.

Arca301
07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Heart and Joan Jett and the BlackHearts are both amazing bands, both writing groundbreaking music. Its said that the genre of rock has changed so much over the years.

Burpin'Worm
07-31-2007, 02:58 PM
No Girls Allowed? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19175-2004Aug20.html)

This is an article I read a while back. If you want to read it all, I think it lays out the situation pretty nicely.
That's an interesting read, thanks for posting it.

hardrokr
08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
im a guy and i think Evenescence has an amazing singer. she really does rock hard and her songs are REALLY melodic(which i like) other than that...i dont like the girl in Flyleaf, paramore, or those other girl bands. just not enough....spark? like that one girl has from Evenescence. she sings and chills go up my spine

frd_marshll
08-03-2007, 03:12 AM
danger radio is pretty good

SGK531
08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
That's an interesting read, thanks for posting it.
No problem

^ All are pretty good, but I think the threadstarter means more all female bands, with women playing insturments, rather than just singing. (Sleater-Kinney, Bikini Kill, Joan Jett, L7 ect.)

megaderrick
08-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I've never heard any that I like, but I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Girls can play music just as well as guys can.

punkrox101
08-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I think not having a lot of famous/good girl bands should inspire a lot of girls of the new generation. the time will soon come when girls will be able to show the world that girls can achieve the same amount of success as the guys in the rock world. being a girl myself, i want to be able to have a successful career in music. i try not to copy the genres girls usually play. cause if you do, you won't be able to get that much attention from the opposite sex.

mental_zer0
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
i kinda like Garbage, but in my town, girl bands arent' common.

cakeandpiemofo
08-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Sleeter Kenny is a great girl band

Sneak King
08-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Obviously there aren't many famous good girl bands because there aren't many famous good bands in general.

Good bands with girls:
Circle Takes the Square
I Would Set Myself on Fire for You

frd_marshll
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
CTTS
IWSMOFFY

are both great bands

i totally forgot about rilo kiley

Fried Cheese
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm a girl and I play an instrument, but I think girl bands are all wack. I'm not interested in them. What's sad is that my best friend (a she) and I are going to create a band and i feel like a hypocrite. I think bands with both genders are great though.
Ex: Noisettes, Jefferson airplane... uhh....some band I saw play in my high school... :idea:

UndeadPirate
08-16-2007, 10:11 AM
^ same im a girl and i play guitar but most correction all bands i like are male. i just think that they suit matal and indie music more than girls. girls just arnt v. good at smashing guitars round and headbanging:)- no offence

GelDouche
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Vivian Girls
The Fizzbombs

aig91
01-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Susan Tedeschi

thewho65
01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
In terms of all-female members, I like the Runaways and plenty of other female-fronted bands. Actually, alot of my vocal idols are girls. I think the problem is that alot of the time women are more vocally orientated. I myself haven't met any girls interested in guitar, or any other instruments really. Around where I live, for some reason bands are a solely male thing. Very strange.

Roast Beef
01-31-2009, 03:58 AM
It's so unusual it looks like a gimmick, even if it isn't (but it often is). And discerning music listeners, as with anything else, dislike gimmicks.

As for females in ordinary bands, well, call me a cynic but it just looks like a cheap way of creating extra 'appeal'. The girl always does vocals: when did you last see a girl in the background, playing drums or whatever? Talking mainstream here, don't bull**** me with some indie rubbish nobody has heard of

GelDouche
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Umm... The White Stripes?